Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Al

Real Name Al   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dr. D. Schreber
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 15, 2008, 07:06
Total Comments 910 (Graduate)
User ID 51686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 5, 2013, 15:34 Dr. D. Schreber

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 15:09:
Chrono Cross was a good game in its own right and it build on and adapted the systems in Chrono Trigger for the modern era. But it does seem like they're afraid of the IP. The only references to the original in the game are a guarded reference to Magus and the explanation of the final boss. And why would you make a sequel to a time hopping IP where you are unceremoniously stuck in time? All of which is okay, but then they drop the series cold because they need more time for....FFX-2? Running their MMOs? Does the top brass not even like the game?

Also seconding Vagrant Story. Another boundary pusher that was one and done for some reason. Its hard to find games that have that kind of love invested in every corner.

They dropped the series cold because they were expecting the Chrono Trigger re-release on the DS to sell really well and it didn't. There was even a story awhile back about someone from Squeenix telling the fanbase that if they really wanted a new game in the series, they should've bought more copies of Chrono Trigger.

I remember reading that the plan for Guile in Chrono Cross was for him to be revealed as Magus, but it was dropped at some point. In "Radical Dreamers," the character who turned into Guile turned out to be Magus in the end (it's been a looooooong time since I've read up on any of this but I believe in the Japanese version of Chrono Cross, Guile's name is Alf instead of the original Gil, so there are also a subset of players who think he's Magus' cat Alfador.)

As far as Chrono Cross having very little connection to the original goes, I always thought it was rather genius that this was actually part of the plot. It's like Blood Omen 2; the entire setting and events of the game only exist because of what happened in Chrono Trigger, and that's why you can't find El Nido on the Chrono Trigger world map somewhere near Guardia and Porre where it should be; it didn't exist. Chrono Cross is basically Chrono Trigger's last sidequest; there's no way to help Magus find Schala in Chrono Trigger, and Chrono Cross ties up that loose end.

One bit of fun I had with that... once you've reached the end-game in Chrono Trigger and Gaspar gives you all the remaining sidequests, one of his lines is something akin to "Someone very close to you needs help, find this person, fast!" and he'll never stop saying it like he stops saying the other lines as you finish the quests. I totally bought this as intentional foreshadowing for Chrono Cross for years, like they had to cut out finding Schala and left the line in because they planned to solve it with its own game. Alas, it turned out it was just a really poorly translated line and Gaspar wasn't supposed to be saying anything important.

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2013, 15:41.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dead Space 3 Microtransactions & Game Modes Detailed
4. Re: Dead Space 3 Microtransactions & Game Modes Detailed Jan 30, 2013, 01:04 Dr. D. Schreber

Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 30, 2013, 00:21:
Just means we sell used copies for $44.99 instead of $49.99. (Or Gamestop's $54.99. Never understood that. Costs more to buy a used copy and online pass than to just buy a new game.)

I'd wager Gamestop does that because they trust their customers to be so uninformed they don't realize it's cheaper to buy the game new, so they can squeeze out a few extra dollars on the used copy than if the price made sense. Considering their entitlement complex about making as much money as possible off of used sales, I'm sure it's also an intentional middle-finger to the industry telling them their attempt to devalue second-hand games is completely irrelevant.

Given how gamers tend to be some of the least informed consumers out there (witness the post you're responding to that couldn't figure out the online pass is for used copies despite the phrases "$9.99 online pass" and "used console game sales" being separated by a whole three words in Blue's write-up) it probably works with little trouble.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - DmC: Devil May Cry; Livestream Today
13. Re: Ships Ahoy - DmC: Devil May Cry; Livestream Today Jan 27, 2013, 06:46 Dr. D. Schreber

Excellent port. Crashed on me once about five minutes in, then ran perfect when I went through my first playthrough in two sittings.

This really is an improvement over even the best of the last installments in many ways. It's probably the best-looking UE3 game we'll ever see, and the art direction is much more interesting. There's color (mostly in the supernatural version of the city, in a nice twist) everywhere, characters are all unique and memorable, sometimes because they did a very good job making them gross and disturbing. See figure: the Succubus. If the new Dante turns you off, the new Vergil should balance that out nicely with the way he's gone through the de-anime filter. None of the backtracking nonsense from DMC4, either. Or the alternate protagonist nonsense, for that matter.

My one complaint is difficulty. It's not as piss-weak easy as DMC2 was, but it won't be giving Ninja Gaidan a run for its money like the American DMC3 did.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Weekend Event
4. Re: Mass Effect 3 Weekend Event Jan 25, 2013, 13:17 Dr. D. Schreber

Plenty of people are still playing, if the ease with which I find matches is any indication. It's rare to wait more than twenty seconds.

1AngryGamer wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 10:33:
Whats wrong with it? Just asking before I buy. I am working through 1 and 2 and will have to play 3. Yes yes I know they patched the ending and changed it. Other than that I mean

The answer you're likely to get here is "OMG horde mode only!" which is probably the best design decision they made. No competition to find the perfect uber-build to kill everyone with, and everyone working towards the same goal means even if someone is stealing all your kills, you still get the exp and credits.

The actual problem multiplayer has is some of the worst netcode this side of a DICE game. If you're not hosting, perceivable lag will always exist and you won't be able to use several of the non-hitscan weapons.

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 2013, 13:23.

News Comments > Crysis 3 Trailer
17. Re: Crysis 3 Trailer Dec 23, 2012, 21:30 Dr. D. Schreber

Everyone who enjoys this series should really pick up Peter Watts' novelization of the second game, Crysis Legion. He lends a great sci-fi horror slant and adds a lot of detail to everything, most of it expanding on things the game only implied.  

News Comments > DmC Devil May Cry for PCs Next Month
7. Re: DmC Devil May Cry for PCs Next Month Dec 14, 2012, 13:27 Dr. D. Schreber

LittleMe wrote on Dec 14, 2012, 12:06:
It looks cool. Is this the sort of game where you push the buttons in the right sequences and then proceed to the next area where you rinse and repeat? Or are the combos intricate with many nuances? I did play DMC4 and that it was okay but seemed repetitive. I like the Virtua Fighter games though..

DMC4 was heavily dumbed down from DMC3 gameplay-wise. DMC3 had a much wider assortment of weapons and any four (two guns, two melee at a time) could be mixed however you wanted, which gave you as much or as little nuance as you wanted. They tried to do something different with Nero in DMC4 and not only did he come out less interesting, it watered down Dante with only half the game dedicated to him.

This is probably the biggest reason the fact that this looks more like DMC3 than DMC4 thrills me. I think it's safe to say whoever played to record the footage wasn't terribly creative.

News Comments > DmC Devil May Cry for PCs Next Month
3. Re: DmC Devil May Cry for PCs Next Month Dec 14, 2012, 11:18 Dr. D. Schreber

DMC3 was awesome and had a worse PC port than Resident Evil 4.

DMC4 had a great port but wasn't nearly as awesome as DMC3.

This looks like DMC3 turned up to eleven; just hope the standard of Capcom's ports since they started doing them in-house keeps up.

News Comments > Dishonored Patched
3. Re: Dishonored Patched Dec 4, 2012, 23:20 Dr. D. Schreber

Oh my god finally, I can't believe it took them a month and a half to fix the Galvani issue.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Most Wii U game ports treat touchscreen GamePad as an afterthought. Nov 28, 2012, 22:30 Dr. D. Schreber

I'm shocked! Shocked I say!  

News Comments > Miner Wars 2081 and Demo Released
1. Re: Miner Wars 2081 and Demo Released Nov 28, 2012, 22:28 Dr. D. Schreber

Now if only it didn't have always-on DRM.  

News Comments > Black Ops II Patch Increases FOV
27. Re: Black Ops II Patch Increases FOV Nov 23, 2012, 10:12 Dr. D. Schreber

There's no server browser and every game is organized through a matchmaking process. The game itself is then hosted on a dedicated server instead of by one of the players' computers.

Which, for a game like this, is great. It's quick and dumb fun, and when I want quick and dumb fun, I don't want to sift through a bunch of servers running 24/7 nuketown only for the first seemingly vanilla server I find to be "NO STANDING TACTICAL REALISM."

News Comments > Next Call of Duty Tidbits?
2. Re: Next Call of Duty Tidbits? Nov 14, 2012, 19:28 Dr. D. Schreber

That should hardly be shocking, considering how the franchise is produced. Did anyone seriously think Insanity Ward wouldn't be working on the post-Black Ops 2 installment as soon as they were done with Modern Warfare 3?  

News Comments > Disney Acquires LucasArts
18. Re: Disney Acquires LucasArts Oct 31, 2012, 17:07 Dr. D. Schreber

I'm more worried about the fan-work community Star Wars enjoys. Disney is the company that's thrown copyright at preschools; on the one hand, maybe they won't have that attitude towards Star Wars since it's not their flagship characters. On the other hand, I wouldn't call it paranoid to save copies of Star Wars parodies and fan-films in case they drop the Cease and Desist hammer everywhere.  

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Golden Key Giveaways
19. Re: Borderlands 2 Golden Key Giveaways Oct 26, 2012, 15:18 Dr. D. Schreber

Creston wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 14:44:
Verno wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 14:40:
Creston wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 14:36:
You got two Oranges out the slots??? Holy crap... Was that in TVHM?

Yeah some orange pistol whose name escapes me and a conference call shotgun, this was in regular, not TVHM. The chance to get anything orange from the slots machine is miniscule but at least they let it give you pretty much any orange in the entire loot table. I've barely touched TVHM yet, the game wore on my patience quickly and the drop rates got frustrating. Not sure I'll go back until a few more DLCs come out and my group gets the urge, I was doing a lot of solo play there towards the end as they didn't like the game as much as I did.

Do you remember what the slot was? Triple Vault symbol? Triple Marcus? I've yet to land a single one of those, and I've spent a good half a million on those damn slots... (I wish there was a badass stat for that!)

I'm getting back to TVHM with turret guy. I'm assuming two turrets with rockets will work in it. And I have to admit that giving my ninja Law and Order made a shitload of a difference (even though I now have 1300 shield in TVHM )

Creston

The slag turret is the better choice, unless you have a really, really good slag gun that you don't see yourself ever selling away. The rockets alone count as a different source of damage, as do, of course, your own guns. Switching from double turrets to the slag turret made TVHM easier than my first playthrough. If you have elemental weapons for any enemy type, it's even more game-breaking. It honestly makes me wonder why they ever bothered billing Gaige as the character to play for n00bs.

News Comments > No BF3 Color Grading Removal
6. Re: No BF3 Color Grading Removal Oct 23, 2012, 21:53 Dr. D. Schreber

I guess we've gone too long without a good soundbite from Infinity Ward. Clearly, DICE is taking advantage and is hoping to make "Color grading is a part of unique visual identity" the new "game is not balanced for lean."  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown
18. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 11:24 Dr. D. Schreber

Hey guys let's complain because the game isn't just an unchanged re-release of the original.

Actually let's play the game because playing videogames is more fun than joining the Choir Pedantic.

Or is that just me?

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Free Retaliation MP DLC Next Week
5. Re: Mass Effect 3 Free Retaliation MP DLC Next Week Oct 5, 2012, 02:53 Dr. D. Schreber

Yeah, I've never had a problem finding games either. ME3 is how I take a break from TL2 and BL2 right now.

About time they added a new enemy team. I wonder if the Collector rifle listed in that information is the same one you'd get from the DLC codes various bits of ME-related merch includes. I laughed myself silly when the number of people who'd use it was included in the last image splash with various multiplayer statistics.

News Comments > Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic
32. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 4, 2012, 02:08 Dr. D. Schreber

It boggles my mind that this guy actually has people defending his ego. Was it even two months ago he was bragging about how Unreal Engine 4 was going to drag the next gen of consoles into awesomeness and giving us all blowjobs just like Unreal Engine 3 did for this generation?

Success, especially financial success with nothing to say for it but "we sold dumb shit to dumb people" (seriously, the writing on Gears 2 was worse than Mass Effect 3's ending,) does not undo douchebaggery.

To be clear, I really don't give a rat's ass about how "PC Gamers made Epic and they've forsaken us." That's a load of bull. I do not hold it against a for-profit company when they go where a bigger profit is. Welcome to capitalism. How it can be somehow wrong to hold CliffyB's countless holier-than-thou statements, his attitude, and his disingenuous nonsense ("No Gears 2/3 on PC because of piracy! Piracy has ruined everything! Piracy piracy piracy! What's that Valve makes money in Russia? Piracy piracy PIRACY!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!11!!!!!!!one!!!!") against him is beyond my comprehension. It's not like he's even the only one in the fucking company with the attitude. lol Bulletstorm being a shoddy port may have hurt sales a LITTLE but it was also just pirated to high hell...

News Comments > Mass Effect Trilogy Announced
1. Re: Mass Effect Trilogy Announced Sep 26, 2012, 20:22 Dr. D. Schreber

Experience an amazingly rich and detailed universe where your decisions have profound consequences on the action and the outcome.

Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffthahahahahahahah

Seriously, though, at least PS3 users finally get ME1. Wonder how much EA had to pay Microsoft for the publishing rights...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2012, 19:01 Dr. D. Schreber

I hear ya' Blue. My mom died August 4th, 2003; I'm normally crap with dates but my birthday is August 7th so I don't think I'll be forgetting that one anytime soon.

Re: Star Wars Tie Fighter Anime: Saw this on Radio Dead Air last night and instantly thought "heyyyy another fan thingy that's better than the movies (or in this case Clone Wars) like Ryan Vs Dorkman." Happens a lot with Star Wars, I think.

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 2012, 19:40.

910 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo