Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Al

Real Name Al   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dr. D. Schreber
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 15, 2008, 07:06
Total Comments 911 (Graduate)
User ID 51686

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 1, 2010, 21:15 Dr. D. Schreber

BluesNews posters getting over COD is about as likely as sex after marriage.  

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > StarCraft II Midnight Launch
15. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Launch Jul 27, 2010, 00:32 Dr. D. Schreber

I have my bag o'chips, got my smoothie and bottle of...water, because I gave up soda awhile ago, but I'm all set to celebrate this auspicious day!

Which I will do by playing Dawn of War 2 instead.

News Comments > Ritual's Cancelled Legacy of Kain Game?
2. Re: Ritual's Cancelled Legacy of Kain Game? Jul 26, 2010, 23:48 Dr. D. Schreber

I'm pretty sure "The Dark Prophecy" was in pre-production as a direct dequel to Defiance at Crystal D, and then got canned when Amy Henning left for Naughty Dog.

Not sure I really trust anyone else with the series anyway...and besides, you can't have Tony Jay for voice acting anymore.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 DLC & Weapons Pack
15. Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC & Weapons Pack Jul 25, 2010, 23:57 Dr. D. Schreber

That being said, whether or not you use them in a finished game or not can have a pretty big impact on how much enjoyment you get. Stolen Memory is rubbish if you've already beaten the game, but excellent if you're less than halfway through or starting a new one. Adds it to the map with the original starting dossiers, and the SMG you get can completely change the character-sheet and loadout choices you make for the rest of the game depending on your class (Vanguards and Adepts probably benefit from it the most.) Ditto for Firewalker, which takes a decent amount of time but doesn't give much of a payoff at the end; doesn't make you feel like you've accomplished anything if there's nothing else to do afterwards and you've already hit level cap.

Overlord, on the other hand, can be played just about anywhere, since it's crazy-epic and feels like it could be something Shepard would tackle in the off-time between having leads on the Reapers (in other words, between games.)

News Comments > StarCraft II Budget Oopsie, Preorders Soar
5. Re: StarCraft II Budget Oopsie, Preorders Soar Jul 23, 2010, 11:52 Dr. D. Schreber

Tumbler wrote on Jul 23, 2010, 11:28:
After watching the trailers I wish they had made a game that looked like that. Starcraft FPS would be awesome if they could get it looking like those trailers. Ooooh, you could make it an rpg like mass effect.

This would make the series interesting instead of mind-numbingly generic, so we can't have that at all.

News Comments > More SEGA Genesis Revivals Coming
3. Re: More SEGA Genesis Revivals Coming Jul 22, 2010, 15:24 Dr. D. Schreber

It's not so much a sequel as an expansion. Added lots of new characters, made the fatalities gorier and more plentiful (see most of them here) re-did the soundtrack and smoothed out the gameplay so it was much, much more playable.  

News Comments > More SEGA Genesis Revivals Coming
1. Re: More SEGA Genesis Revivals Coming Jul 22, 2010, 14:14 Dr. D. Schreber

Please say Eternal Champions is Challenge from the Dark Side, pleeeeeeeease....  

News Comments > PC Player Dominance Killed Cross-Platform Gaming?
17. Re: PC Player Dominance Killed Cross-Platform Gaming? Jul 22, 2010, 13:18 Dr. D. Schreber

Did anyone here actually play Shadowrun? It was pretty telling for how this entire thing turned out; it was a much faster paced game than Halo, but the mouse/keyboard controls were heavily gimped. Mouselook wasn't so much like moving your view as it was like directing a pair of hands on your character's head trying to shove the viewpoint around against his will. I could only assume at the time it was a deliberate choice to balance it against gamepads, there was just no good reason for it.  

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Patched
6. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched Jul 20, 2010, 13:46 Dr. D. Schreber

I got the parasite hat before I realized it existed 'cause one of the achievements in Alien Swarm will give it to you. It's pretty adorable, but it's got nothing on the Pyro's Futurama hat.

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 2010, 14:20.

News Comments > Infinity Ward: No MP MW2 Payments
13. Re: Infinity Ward: No MP MW2 Payments Jul 19, 2010, 23:50 Dr. D. Schreber

I wonder why he's still on the payroll. It's not like he's much use to IW outside of repeating "Everything is going to be fantastic!. You won't miss dedis because IWNet is fucking good!. There will be no cheating on IWNet!", etc, etc.

That's what he's on the payroll for. He's actually very good at his job, it just so happens that his job is less about distributing facts and more about making any fact sound good whether or not it is.

Customer service and public relations are not, nor were they ever conceptualized to be, a system for ensuring customers are treated fairly and well informed, as opposed to a system that does what's necessary to convince people to keep spending money. It's all smoke and mirrors.

News Comments > Red Faction TV Movie Details
5. Re: Red Faction TV Movie Details Jul 19, 2010, 14:24 Dr. D. Schreber

News Comments > Red Faction TV Movie Details
3. Re: Red Faction TV Movie Details Jul 19, 2010, 13:58 Dr. D. Schreber

Maybe some decent source material will give them something to work with. This is supposed to double as a pilot for a possible series, and they usually get much better mileage out of those (Lexx, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate...although Stargate probably doesn't count since they didn't make the movie.)  

News Comments > Cliffski/Epic Follow-up
12. Re: Cliffski/Epic Follow-up Jul 18, 2010, 15:05 Dr. D. Schreber

Hey, you don't have to be gay to admire the Old Spice guy.

My word, those abs... Gorgeous

News Comments > New Oddworld Plans
3. Re: New Oddworld Plans Jul 16, 2010, 00:23 Dr. D. Schreber

The only thing that could make this better is if they're finishing The Brutal Ballad of Fangus Klot, but "new Oddworld" is enough.  

News Comments > H.A.W.X. 2 Trailer
14. Re: H.A.W.X. 2 Trailer Jul 10, 2010, 14:30 Dr. D. Schreber

I wasn't using anything as an excuse, I just said what I wanted in an air combat game compared to what air combat is like in reality. It was a two-item list, not a venn-diagram.  

News Comments > No Alpha Protocol Sequel
57. Re: No Alpha Protocol Sequel Jul 10, 2010, 03:24 Dr. D. Schreber

The problem being that you're using the "trifecta" point as a shrewd suggestion that your judgment on the game is objective fact.

Example:

In the metrics that matter in the context of the video game industry - sales, critical acclaim and word of mouth/buzz, Alpha Protocol is a failure as I said. In fact in general it's a huge failure on many fronts, both in design and implementation. The fact that a minority found some form of enjoyment with it is good for them but people enjoy many silly things. I also suspect many of those people didn't pay for it either and Alpha Protocols terrible sales figures bear me a bit there.

And then there's...

I don't really need you to agree with me because I've played it and it was subjectively terrible and I am the type of person who usually loves a game of this type.

"I've played it and it's subjectively terrible" means "I didn't like it." Listing off attributes of the game with descriptors like "broken" and "absurd" is passing off your opinion as fact. Your taste does not determine the quality of something. If taste was a viable metric for measuring quality, Halo and Modern Warfare would be the best games EVER, because, hey, tons of people find it subjectively awesome.

Also, the fact that many reviews are objectively wrong about certain common critiques to the game tells you something about how much validity we should be giving them.

10. Re: H.A.W.X. 2 Trailer Jul 10, 2010, 01:13 Dr. D. Schreber

Uh, nothing made me think that. I said I don't want it when I play air combat games, that's all.  

6. Re: H.A.W.X. 2 Trailer Jul 9, 2010, 15:58 Dr. D. Schreber

Wildone wrote on Jul 9, 2010, 15:00:
Play a REAL sim..
DCS: A10 Warthog
http://www.simhq.com/_air13/air_450a.html

I would, if real sims weren't the most boring genre imaginable. If I wanted to fly a fighter jet for real, I'd apply for OCS. Since I want to pretend air combat involves old-school, visual range dogfighting with missiles that don't have proximity fuses, I'll stick with action games.

Now, back to ARMA 2... (Not really.)

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Jul 9, 2010, 14:40 Dr. D. Schreber

The whole "hit a woman" bit was some horrible stuff and felt contrived to boot. I don't think females are some dainty flower that can't be deserving of such behavior just like their male counterparts but in the game it was poorly done and felt like it was there for shock value alone.

Agreed; extremely bland storytelling at it's, uh, finest. I honestly never even thought about this, let alone felt shock or "hay I'm hitting a woman! We're getting progressive because Sam Fisher will hate anyone equally!" because the game never even managed to grab me.

1. Re: H.A.W.X. 2 Trailer Jul 9, 2010, 14:36 Dr. D. Schreber

Eh, it's no Ace Combat 7, but it'll do for a second-hand console buy.

Goddamn you, Project Aces, stop being afraid of ret-conning Electrosphere out of existence and make a real AC7....

911 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo