Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Al

Real Name Al   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dr. D. Schreber
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 15, 2008, 07:06
Total Comments 910 (Graduate)
User ID 51686

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 15, 2010, 01:04 Dr. D. Schreber

Let's also not forget there are more professional adults who may or may not also have family in the PC crowd; not that I have a clue what actual numbers are in this respect, but I'm more inclined to believe the PC version has more owners who simply can't sit down to play it for ten hours straight, thus making the distinction earlier in the thread about total players vs total players at any one time even more important.

(I say this with a straight face as I enter my second month of being bedridden from injury, after playing Black Ops constantly since release.)

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PC H.A.W.X. 2
15. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC H.A.W.X. 2 Nov 13, 2010, 23:23 Dr. D. Schreber

Having re-read my previous comment, I don't see where I said I wanted a flight sim with realistic Newtonian physics. I believe what I said was something that borders on 'believable'. I don't think that's asking for too much.

There's not really a middleground in air combat between arcade fantasy and realistic. You either have one or the other.

Uh, no. Russia has a ways to go yet before they get back to their status as 'pain the ass' (that's an official designation, by the way). Most of their goodies have been sold off to the other jerks of the world, like Venezuela, North Korea, Iran, Libya, Somalia (go figure), Vietnam, Serbia, Syria, Egypt, Sudan, Pakistan, and Jordan. They still have their nuclear inventory, but their conventional arsenal has whittled away over the last few decades from lack of funding.

They use Russia as the bad guy because us 'silly Americans' have been bred to think of Russia that way...and it's easier for game devs to just use the status quo than actually come up with something original...

Yeah, it was silly of me to insinuate this is actually a realistic notion for the forseeable future, but it is the thought process. Us "silly Americans" are a generation removed from the Soviet Union now, plenty of us don't remember it, and ones like me old enough to remember it couldn't give a crap at this point. Russia is where we get vodka and a more subdued form of crazy than Japan these days, not communism.

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC H.A.W.X. 2 Nov 13, 2010, 15:33 Dr. D. Schreber

It's different when it's a plane because flying a plane for real is a lot of work and boring. There's a reason the flight sim genre isn't exactly the biggest one around. Flying a fighter for real means you're in combat for two, maybe three minutes, beyond visual range of your target, firing missiles that detonate based on proximity, not on impact. It's actually completely impossible to dodge missiles the way it works in video games and movies; the winner is whoever locks on first. And this is still unrealistic, because no first-world country currently has an enemy that can actually field fighter jets against them. The entire concept of the air-combat shooter is rooted in fantasy, you literally can't do it realistically.

This, incidentally, is why Russia is always the villain these days. It's not for an edgy what-if or any form of social commentary, it's because Russia is the only country that could, in the near future, be a legitimate opponent for the US and UK in a traditional, symmetrical war.

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC H.A.W.X. 2 Nov 12, 2010, 23:22 Dr. D. Schreber

Trooper119 wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 23:17:
Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 22:59:
Yeah, but if they don't bitch about the "flight model," they'll actually have to learn what the game is like and think up legitimate criticisms, and that takes effort.

What is this? LOGIC? BURN IT WITH FIRE!!!!1!!!1!

But seriously though, I thought the first game was an interesting idea, but I'm sure like many others it wasn't interesting enough (to me) to purchase. Will this fair better then the previous? Who knows.

Also...will there be a demo for this one?

It won't, it's awful, and this is coming from someone who did like the first enough to buy it. Everything interesting got nerfed to high hell, and the campaign is like putting Modern Warfare 2 in the air with less logic.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 12, 2010, 23:08 Dr. D. Schreber

I still think it's funny we're bitching about sixty dollar games when they'd be $150 by now if they actually followed the inflation curve like everything else.  

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC H.A.W.X. 2 Nov 12, 2010, 22:59 Dr. D. Schreber

Yeah, but if they don't bitch about the "flight model," they'll actually have to learn what the game is like and think up legitimate criticisms, and that takes effort.  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops MP Patch
25. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops MP Patch Nov 12, 2010, 17:35 Dr. D. Schreber

Mostly_Harmless wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 16:51:
Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 15:50:
Multiplayer got a huge performance boost for me, but with shadows enabled, of all things, performance drops by literally half. There's clearly still a graphics-related bug going on.

Not that I notice shadows in multiplayer anyway, so it's easy for me to have fun with it regardless now.

Wow, I see what you mean, like I said a few posts back the patch fixed the hitching but hosed my frame rate, I just played a couple of rounds with shadows disabled and it's amazing what a difference it made to performance.

Do you also get poor performance in general in the Hilton? Love the map but it kills my framerate for some reason. Only down to about 45 so it's still playable, but still annoying.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2010, 16:16 Dr. D. Schreber

Most judges say that when jury duty ends like this. It's true to some extent, but there's some exaggeration to it.

My last jury duty was a disaster. There at 8am (not helped by the fact that it's impossible for me to maintain a normal sleeping schedule like other people) in a courthouse forty-five minutes away, stuck in the same room until 1am when we were told the cases had all been settled but we were getting sent to the juvenile court a few blocks away for a rape trial...that ended up settling ten minutes before they would've started impaneling jurors. Didn't get home until 7pm. And the judge, of course, ended it with the "you helped just by being here" speech, which, after being there longer than a work day, lost a lot of the effect.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops MP Patch
21. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops MP Patch Nov 12, 2010, 15:50 Dr. D. Schreber

Elessar wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 14:57:
The game looks awesome, but I haven't had a chance to play it to it's full potential because of the stuttering. Patch fixed it for some, but not all. I think the GPU hitching bullet point is what will fix it for the majority. Looking forward to them ironing this out finally.

I am shocked that it was released in such a state. l2beta.

I agree. Multiplayer got a huge performance boost for me, but with shadows enabled, of all things, performance drops by literally half. There's clearly still a graphics-related bug going on.

Not that I notice shadows in multiplayer anyway, so it's easy for me to have fun with it regardless now.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 10, 2010, 00:42 Dr. D. Schreber

A more hilarious read about Anonymous' recent antics re: Gene Simmons can be found here. The language he uses to declare how unafraid he is might as well be a giant "Please Troll Me" sign stapled to his forehead.  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops Preloads
25. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Preloads Nov 9, 2010, 04:51 Dr. D. Schreber

Cartman wrote on Nov 9, 2010, 04:25:
n0slet wrote on Nov 9, 2010, 02:08:
Those of you who don't have it yet you are not missing much. The game is laggy as all hell right now. Nearly everyone is getting some god awful hitching lag while playing, and there is alot of directx related crashes for everyone I played with tonight. =P So they got some bugs to work out for sure.

I wonder if the downloaded version is as buggy. You would think with this much potential revenue on the table that they would have beta-tested this thing to the point where it never needed a patch.

I'd hardly call the revenue "potential" since you can't get a refund.

Ah well, if the game doesn't work on release day, it's one more day I can work on Nanowrimo...

News Comments > Freeware Battlestar Galactica Game Plans
19. Re: Freeware Battlestar Galactica Game Plans Nov 4, 2010, 19:36 Dr. D. Schreber

I didn't care for Beyond the Red Line all that much, the missions were cookie-cutter and the insistence on screen accuracy made for unneeded gameplay frustration. The gun hardpoints on the Viper are somewhat far apart from each other and they fire in parallel, not a converging path, so the crosshair is lined up with the space in-between the guns instead of with the guns themselves. Extremely aggravating having the crosshair perfectly on-target with the lead-indicator, or the target itself at close range, but only shooting an outline around the target like some crazy Loony Toons gag with a tommy gun.

I'll definitely give this a try, but I'm kinda looking more forward to Blackwater Operations and the Wing Commander total conversion. I was ecstatic when I thought of checking out the Wing Commander TC like, a year after playing their prologue campaign and finding that it's not only still going but reasonably close to completion.

Flatline wrote on Nov 4, 2010, 13:57:
TangledThorns wrote on Nov 4, 2010, 12:44:
This is Freespace 2 based? Looks great!

When FS2 went open source, they started overhauling it graphically. If you haven't checked it out recently, you should. They've redone the textures for the game at higher resolutions and implemented a lot of modern graphics candy.

That's part of what boggles me. You could have a nearly photo-realistic space combat game these days, considering how relatively resource efficient space sims are, yet nobody's really tried to knock it out of the park.

I think part of the problem is that Freespace 2 itself basically killed the genre dead because it was so awesome and yet didn't sell well (which is largely blamed, probably truthfully, on a lack of marketing.) Starlancer came after Freespace 2 and was completely underwhelming in comparison, with nowhere near the same sense of scale or fun. The gameplay was really rough around the edges and the presentation was lacking. Freelancer was better, but it moved pretty far away from what we think of as the space combat genre, and neither sold well.

Basically, the only thing that would revive the genre is Freespace 3, but we know what the chances of that are by now. The best the genre has to offer now is all the extra stuff the Freespace community's been making since the source code was released, especially when they get around to releasing campaigns. I think I replay Derelict more than the retail campaign.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 2, 2010, 18:53 Dr. D. Schreber

space captain wrote on Nov 2, 2010, 13:52:
Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Nov 2, 2010, 12:39:
have no problems with Microsoft's business decisions, they make perfect sense from a business perspective. It's the insulting of my intelligence that goes on when they try to act like they're doing something other than running a for-profit business that gets under my skin.

you must love the govt

No, I'm just smart enough to recognize good business when I see it. It's not that hard to comprehend the system; someone wants to make money, they see a way of making more money that doesn't break the law, they take advantage of it. That's capitalism. Welcome to America. I'd just rather not be force-fed crap about how good business decisions have anything to do with customer service as opposed to just being good business.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 2, 2010, 12:39 Dr. D. Schreber

The firm justified the price hike with mention of exclusive games such as Gears of War and Halo, and the fact that certain DLC packs arrive on Xbox 360 before rival consoles.

We need to pay subscription fees to continue getting platform-exclusives? WTF?

Which doesn't even begin to cover the insanity of the second part, where our subscription fee is bankrolling Microsoft's "Give devs money to make timed exclusives out of DLC for big-name games so everyone will hear our system gets it first and buy it for that" initiative.

I have no problems with Microsoft's business decisions, they make perfect sense from a business perspective. It's the insulting of my intelligence that goes on when they try to act like they're doing something other than running a for-profit business that gets under my skin.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II Oct 27, 2010, 03:32 Dr. D. Schreber

banddirector wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 00:34:
Just read the Gamespot review of the first FU. *If* it worked on my PC, it sounds like a fun game, but their review ripped it for being such a crappy port.

If it's cheap maybe I can find a copy somewhere ...

Usually runs fine on a meaty rig, it just doesn't scale down at all.

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
19. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Oct 26, 2010, 19:26 Dr. D. Schreber

Dev wrote on Oct 26, 2010, 17:13:
On my computer, I get the annoying flashbulb/beacon effect nearly constantly randomly when I use AA in FNV. I wonder if that fixes that since it says it improves it.

Wolfen wrote on Oct 26, 2010, 15:06:
Id rather know if it fixes the horrid problems with new vegas and the face stuff (or is this one that will fall on the developers?)
If you are talking about the things where like the dogs eyes are outside his head, or the guy at beginning his head rotating like exorcist, I'm pretty sure thats NOT a graphics driver issue.

Didn't the first patch fix the dog issue?

Sadly, I get the weird flashbulb effect whether I have AA on or off, but it doesn't happen nearly as often as it seems to for most people.

News Comments > Back to the Future: The Game Details
20. Re: Back to the Future: The Game Details Oct 26, 2010, 09:32 Dr. D. Schreber

Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 26, 2010, 06:20:
Cutter wrote on Oct 26, 2010, 03:38:
Sepharo wrote on Oct 25, 2010, 22:37:
Cutter wrote on Oct 25, 2010, 21:43:
Of course it'll suck. Some crappy console game to be sure.

You're in an especially trolly mood tonight

No, I'm being honest. Let's face it the overwhelming majority of movie games suck. Given this is in development for every platform - the fucking iPad included - what does that tell you? Where would the smart money be bet here? It's going to fucking suck.

You and xXBatmanXx should get a room, get drunk, and cry about consoles until you both fall into a peaceful slumber.

For those interested, you can get the first episode for free by visiting TTG's website: http://www.telltalegames.com/bttfoffer

Thanks for that link.

News Comments > Bethesda Passed on Fallout MMOG Rights
37. Re: Bethesda Passed on Fallout MMOG Rights Oct 23, 2010, 02:16 Dr. D. Schreber

PHJF wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 23:11:
Fallout is about capturing the essence of wandering through a post-nuclear wasteland. Hard to do when there are people everywhere.

To be fair, having a hundred thousand subscribers would give you an optimistic post-nuclear population. Just make the map large enough for population density to be low and voila.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops Steamworks
29. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Steamworks Oct 22, 2010, 16:02 Dr. D. Schreber

kxmode wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 15:48:
bhcompy wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 14:26:
necrosis wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 14:00:
bhcompy wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 13:23:
And for the record, FOV 110 is best.
For 16:10.

4:3

John 17:3?

Austin 3:16 says I just whooped your ass!

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Tools
26. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Tools Oct 20, 2010, 05:49 Dr. D. Schreber

Shortcut for getting around the quicksave problem until it's fixed:

1. Press ~
2. Type save "thisisaclevernameformysavefile", press Enter.
3. For quicksave-like functionality, Press ~, Up, Enter.

910 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo