Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Al

Real Name Al   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dr. D. Schreber
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 15, 2008, 07:06
Total Comments 910 (Graduate)
User ID 51686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Call of Duty Elite Web Series Planned
3. Re: Call of Duty Elite Web Series Planned Jun 1, 2011, 15:42 Dr. D. Schreber

Whether the series is live-action or animated, it'll certainly be torrented.

Here's betting we can make a drinking game of how often it drops blatant Generation Kill references.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mass Effect Digital Comic
7. Re: Mass Effect Digital Comic May 27, 2011, 15:39 Dr. D. Schreber

Hmmmm, charging for this is ridiculous, but on the other hand, if I want to re-roll a Shepard without playing through the first game all over again...

...I'll just go here. And then I'll go here. Then, I'll open Windows Explorer so I can change Shepard's first name just for the sake of completeness.

Srsly Bioware, I love you guys, and I'm the first one to trip over myself rushing for my wallet when you release new plot content in DLC form.

Buying this, however, would make me feel like I'm putting in five bucks for Conrad Verner's fake N7 armor.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 2, 2011, 02:15 Dr. D. Schreber

Just when I thought CliffyB couldn't be even more of a hack. His quotes read like bad fanfiction.  

News Comments > U.S. Postal Regulatory Commission Rules for GameFly
4. Re: U.S. Postal Regulatory Commission Rules for GameFly Apr 21, 2011, 21:45 Dr. D. Schreber

Dev wrote on Apr 21, 2011, 21:14:
Netflix got lucky they didn't decide just to charge everyone the surchage.

Edit: Especially given the financial climate, and isn't the post office still losing money as usual?

It's so bad it's almost funny. They do so little business that the workers they can't lay off for want of actually having any workers at all sometimes find themselves literally sitting around doing nothing on their shifts. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the only reason they didn't charge Netflix the extra cost was someone in charge looking at them and saying "Eh, it's not like it would actually put a dent in things, why bother?"

News Comments > W.R.O.N.G. Feels So Right
3. Re: W.R.O.N.G. Feels So Right Apr 14, 2011, 15:18 Dr. D. Schreber

I'm not sure what's worse; CoD players gamers who think firing a gun in a videogame is just like firing one in real life, or non gamers who think firing a gun in a videogame is just like firing one in real life.

The whole "almost without looking at who he was hitting" thing made me seriously wonder if this was some sort of stealth parody for a minute.

News Comments > BioWare on Mass Effect MMO Possibilities
10. Re: BioWare on Mass Effect MMO Possibilities Apr 11, 2011, 11:20 Dr. D. Schreber

I'd rather have a couple of spinoffs that would let us explore the setting in bite-sized chunks like the main trilogy does, but with more "mundane" problems to solve instead of the looming extinction of all life. There's a whole lot of things mentioned on Cerberus Daily News like the raloi or the lost pre-mass-effect human sleeper colony or the wars on Taetrus and Garvug that would be fun to explore.  

News Comments > Portal 2 "Bot Trust" Trailer
9. Re: Portal 2 Mar 28, 2011, 15:45 Dr. D. Schreber

Humans and robots alike are welcome in the Aperture Science Diversity Furnace Break Room.  

News Comments > Crysis 2 Tweak Tool
1. Re: Crysis 2 Tweak Tool Mar 25, 2011, 11:58 Dr. D. Schreber

Blue, the guy who wrote the app released it on the Steampowered forums here, no Googlefish required.  

News Comments > Prototype 2 Trailer
4. Re: Prototype 2 Trailer Mar 15, 2011, 05:48 Dr. D. Schreber

I'm going to assume my sarcasm detector is failing spectacularly.  

News Comments > Quote of the Day
30. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 9, 2011, 09:21 Dr. D. Schreber

reisub wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 09:09:
Sacrifex wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 06:41:
And I'm going to keep saying mana wrong too. So there.
How do you pronounce mana? I say it the same as manor/manner. Is there another way?

And yeah, pwn as in own. I've never heard it said but have always pronounced it like that in my head.

That's "manna," which is actually a different word (bread from heaven.) "Mana" is pronounced "MAH-nuh."

News Comments > Quote of the Day
22. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 9, 2011, 07:23 Dr. D. Schreber

Agrajag wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 06:25:
This reminds me of "pwn", which I recall used to be pronounced "pween" back in the day, but now everyone pronounces as "pown" or "pawn" instead for some bizarre reason...

Probably because "pween" is pretty close to "peen." No one wants to add a "no homo!" suffix every time they say they pwn'd someone.

News Comments > Homefront Campaign is Five Hours?
50. Re: Homefront Campaign is Five Hours? Mar 9, 2011, 05:08 Dr. D. Schreber

Verno wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 11:27:
Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 11:24:
I'm so sick of this excuse I could vomit. If singleplayer is the wrong reason for playing a game, than it shouldn't have even been implemented. Shitty design, pacing, and an afterthought-mindset is not magically excused by multiplayer. This is the Halo excuse, for fuck's sake.

A: "The story is nonsensical, generic and a hack job downgrade from Marathon."
B: "But, multiplayer!"

That's definitely a fair point. Unfortunately many gamers evaluate purchase decisions in quite a simple manner. Hence the feature tickbox that developers and publishers build their game towards completing. For right or wrong in many cases both SP and MP end up as extraneous features that are slapped on to sell more copies.

I agree completely; that was the point I was trying to make, that this facet of development environment exists because this excuse is part of gamer mentality, not because devs think out of the blue they could get away with it.

News Comments > Operation Flashpoint: Red River Trailer
8. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Red River Trailer Mar 8, 2011, 22:49 Dr. D. Schreber

DangerDog wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 16:36:
Despite not being worth of having Operation Flashpoint in the name, I at least give them props for not going the politically correct way and having North Korea be the enemy you face.

It looks better than Homefront, too bad Codemasters decided to use Games for Windows Fail for the co-op multiplayer.

The really hilarious thing is that Dragon Rising wasn't banned in China like you'd expect to be, it was actually hyped for having the PLA's gear rendered all shiny in current-gen graphics.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution August Dates Confirmed
3. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution August Dates Confirmed Mar 8, 2011, 22:44 Dr. D. Schreber

Somehow, for some reason, I was somehow under the impression this would be out this month.

My mis-wired brain has left me feeling considerably sad.

News Comments > Crysis 2 PC/Xbox 360 Graphics Compared
25. Re: Crysis 2 PC/Xbox 360 Graphics Compared Mar 8, 2011, 14:49 Dr. D. Schreber

Given that it is only a $200-$300 console whereas I am reading reviews of a $700 AMD card today, I am having one of those moments where I express my love for PC gaming, but also admit to some of its insanity...

This argument holds less water this generation if you actually look beyond videocards. If you want more than a sub-standard experience on the console you need to shell out for an HDTV that will certainly cost more than a videocard (of course, there's the odd computer user like myself who will gladly whore out for screen size and runs a PC into a 37 inch+ HDTV, but it's hardly needed to get superior picture quality on the PC.) Right out of the box, if you're going to pitch consoles as the superior social experience for being able to sit down with three friends in one room, that's another $150 just for controllers.

It gets even more ridiculous if your console of choice is the 360, where all the hardware is ludicrously overpriced. Rechargeable batteries for the controllers are another ten bucks each, the wireless adapter is a hundred bucks, a bigger harddrive if you're upgrading from the cheaper console SKU's HDD is $150 for 250GB, the data transfer cable if you're switching systems (lol RROD) is fifteen bucks...want to cheat and hook the thing into your computer monitor for HD on the cheap? The VGA adapter is thirty bucks (it was sixty when it first dropped.) A mic or a wireless headset you can actually understand people through is anywhere from $20-$40.

A lot of these things have cheaper third-party alternatives for informed consumers, but the main demographic is the same group of people who are easily convinced that $60 Monster cables or gold-plated USB cables actually make a difference. People who are gung-ho about consoles easily spend, depending on exactly what they're doing, twice as much to five times as much as the actual cost of the console to get all the functionality they brag is so easy.

News Comments > Homefront Campaign is Five Hours?
19. Re: Homefront Campaign is Five Hours? Mar 8, 2011, 11:24 Dr. D. Schreber

Anyone buying this for the singleplayer is buying this game for the wrong reason.

I'm so sick of this excuse I could vomit. If singleplayer is the wrong reason for playing a game, than it shouldn't have even been implemented. Shitty design, pacing, and an afterthought-mindset is not magically excused by multiplayer. This is the Halo excuse, for fuck's sake.

A: "The story is nonsensical, generic and a hack job downgrade from Marathon."
B: "But, multiplayer!"

News Comments > Crysis 2 Multiplayer Trailer
5. Re: Crysis 2 Multiplayer Trailer Mar 7, 2011, 07:22 Dr. D. Schreber

I've been having more fun than I rightly expected on the demo. Performance is much better than the original's singleplayer and ripping off CoD was the best idea they had; it's unquestionably a CoD clone, but the map design, the art direction and the gameplay additions (I hesitate to call the suit mechanics "innovation," as it were,) are a definite, and more importantly functional, breath of fresh air in the "frantic team FPS" space.  

News Comments > Mass Effect Speculation
19. Re: Mass Effect Speculation Mar 4, 2011, 14:17 Dr. D. Schreber

Verno wrote on Mar 4, 2011, 12:59:
Eh I don't know. Overlord may be just a side mission but it's well written, interesting and enjoyable which is the bottom line for me. Kasumi's DLC was gimmicky and she totally breaks the game due to her abilities being ridiculously OP even on the higher difficulties.

Not really. Shadow Strike may be what the Infiltrator should be capable of, but it's not worth losing your squad's synergy on Insanity if you're a biotic. I wouldn't want her as an Adept (need some combination of Miranda or Thane plus Garrus for their Overload and so you can use their Warp to detonate your biotics and spare yourself the six-second cooldown. You can also use Kasumi for Overload, but then you won't be using Shadow Strike) as a Vanguard (need the exact same squad setup, using squaddies to detonate Pull is even more important since you don't have Warp) and certainly not as a Sentinel (where you're pigeonholed into some combination of Jacob/Jack/Samara since you have Warp but you need their Lifts to mix it with.)

Still, as a character she's a breath of fresh air against the rest of the cast's grizzled personalities. Grizzle grizzle.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Brotherhood DRM Clarification
11. Re: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood DRM Clarification Mar 2, 2011, 21:38 Dr. D. Schreber

That's not sensible. Writing off entire companies gives them no incentive to actually change.

But hey, it's less effort to feel empowered by generalizing instead of actually being an informed consumer who researches individual products.

News Comments > Magicka: Vietnam Announced
17. Re: Magicka: Vietnam Announced Mar 1, 2011, 16:55 Dr. D. Schreber

I bet they did this because it gives them an excuse to just re-use all the forest assets, but I don't care.

This is the most amusingly batshit thing I've seen in awhile and it makes me happy to be alive. I eagerly await wank in some part of the Internet over the fact that the wizards' staffs are American flags.

910 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo