Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Scott Lampert

Real Name Scott Lampert   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scottso
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 13, 2008, 04:39
Total Comments 40 (Suspect)
User ID 51638

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > BioWare: Mass Effect 2 Reviews Will Exceed the Original
6. Re: Game Reviews Dec 18, 2009, 01:32 Scottso

I could handle more talk if the plot is good. I love a good yarn. What I really hated about the first one was that so many places were cookie cutter. It made Diablo II seem random in comparison.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Oct 9, 2009, 23:21 Scottso

Gratuitous Space Battles is a lot of fun. I've already got my money's worth from it and it's not even out of beta yet.  

News Comments > Champions Online Patched
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 1, 2009, 05:03 Scottso

I've played both and it really is CoH just a lot more "arcade-like" and some more character customization. If you've played CoH there is nothing really compelling here unless you are a die-hard fan of superhero games and have to play the newest thing in that genre. Heck it doesn't even let you play a villain which was the best part of CoH/CoV, imho.  

News Comments > EVE Online: Dominion Announced
5. Re: EVE Online: Dominion Announced Sep 1, 2009, 00:58 Scottso

Man these guys crank out the updates like nobodies business. Are there no labor laws in Iceland?  

News Comments > EVE's Banhammer of Unholy Rage
6. Re: EVE's Banhammer of Unholy Rage Aug 18, 2009, 03:59 Scottso

Considering they spent 5 years+ working on a solution that would make their customer base happy and still screw over the gold farmers, I don't know where you get the impression that they were "surprised."

The point is that in-game anything goes. But when you start using your out-of-game resources to make yourself better (like your money) than everyone else then they may as well make sure that money gets channeled back into the game where it benefits everyone in the long run. Seeing the big picture means looking beyond what it does for you directly.

News Comments > Demigod Patched
10. Re: Demigod Patched Jun 24, 2009, 21:53 Scottso

A buggy demo can turn those planned sales into non-sales if they experience launch issues, even if those issues were fixed in just a couple days. Now, instead, they get the initial influx of sales, plus whatever others they score from people who were on the fence beforehand.

Not to mention the good business sense of fixing the big bugs for the folks who actually bought the game, rather than wasting resources making a demo for those people who are waiting it out anyway.

News Comments > PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans
13. Re: PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans Apr 23, 2009, 15:50 Scottso

I miss when the starship combat in Star Trek was more like giant navy ships fighting it out rather than giant fighter jets. Now they've turned the Enterprise, etc into X-Wing fighters. I guess gamers today don't like to think. They just want to point and shoot.  

News Comments > Bankrupt ASCARON Still has Sacred 2 & 3 Plans
4. Re: Bankrupt ASCARON Still has Sacred 2 & 3 Plans Apr 19, 2009, 16:14 Scottso

Based on what evidence?

There isn't a single game out there with DRM that hasn't been cracked. Yet the videogames industry turns in record profits of billions upon billion year after year.

Maybe we should use some restrictive DRM on you and spare us all of your fanciful conjecture.

You missed the sarcasm. Sacred 2 has very restrictive DRM. Securom with limited activations.

News Comments > Fallout Online Legal Woes?
14. Re: Fallout Online Legal Woes? Apr 16, 2009, 14:29 Scottso

Actually the way I read that, if Interplay is not set up to start developing the MMO, the license agreement is terminated and Bethesda is owed monetary damages. That's it.

It doesn't mean that Bethesda gets the Fallout license. It means Bethesda actually loses the license to make new games under the Fallout umbrella. After all, it was a license of the property by Bethesda, not a sale of the property to Bethesda.

Edit: Actually, it looks like I'm wrong and Bethesda actually purchased the Fallout property and licensed the MMO back to Interplay. Shacknews has a much clearer report on this.

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2009, 15:18.

News Comments > Demigod Early
10. Re: Demigod Early Apr 14, 2009, 00:55 Scottso

Can I just say I'm loving this game? It's a little daunting at first until you get used to the skill trees and items so you don't have to spend crazy amounts of time deciding what to get. But it's boatloads of fun and oddly addicting. I'm definitely leaning more towards the Assassins than the Generals. The generals require way too much micromanagement, imho.  

News Comments > DOOM 3 Source Patent Issue
7. Re: DOOM 3 Source Patent Issue Apr 8, 2009, 02:12 Scottso

I liked their soundcards, oh, about 10 years ago when they were useful. Post-XP they are pretty much obsolete. On-board sound now is pretty killer on modern motherboards. Unless you're an extreme audiophile plugging your computer into a $10k sound system, or a musician doing recording, the on-board sound is more than qualified.  

News Comments > Impulse Phase 3 Launches
23. Re: Impulse Phase 3 Launches Apr 7, 2009, 18:58 Scottso

No. You are wrong. I was in normal mode and hadn't run offline mode. My internet connection went down; when Steam tried to connect it couldn't and switched to offline mode. My games ran. There is absolutely nothing subjective about the matter.

As I said, you were already logged in. Reading comprehension FTW!

If you were not logged into steam already when your connection went down you would have been locked out until it came back. If you tried what I asked you to, you wouldn't have been able to play anything.

Random people posting on the web disprove what I witnessed myself firsthand? How strange.

Your sarcasm would make you look witty if you weren't already wrong. Oops.

19. Re: Impulse Phase 3 Launches Apr 7, 2009, 17:35 Scottso

Nonsense. The offline mode works fine as long as Steam was installed with internet access. I've had times where I've been unexpectedly without the internet and Steam simply booted into offline mode and continued as normal - I loaded up random games that I hadn't played to test it and they all ran fine. I didn't have to take any steps... Steam just did it all automatically. That doesn't help if you need to install Steam or other games, though.

Well obviously your login was working. If you cannot log in to steam you absolutely cannot go into offline mode without being connected to the internet. And this is the situation going on right now. Go ahead and try it. Without switching to offline mode beforehand, log out of steam, unplug your net connection and try to play a game. Sorry, no dice for you until you can sign back in. Which requires an Internet connection.

The only way it would work is if you went into offline mode BEFORE you lost your ability to connect to their servers.

The large number of folks complaining on the Steam forums would pretty much disprove your claim in any case.

14. Re: Impulse Phase 3 Launches Apr 7, 2009, 16:46 Scottso

Steam sucks ass. I don't know if anyone reads the Steam forums, but there are a apparently a large amount of folks that have been locked out of their games since Saturday with not a word from Valve/Steam other than, "We have ongoing issues with our POP. We are meeting with them to make sure this doesn't happen again."

Since Impulse doesn't make you go online every time you try to load your games you don't need to worry about their servers being down. Sure, Steam has an "offline" mode, but you have to be able log in to Steam to enable it as all these folks are finding out now that they need it.

I'm actually surprised none of the gaming news sites have picked up on this story. Its quickly becoming a big issue now.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Details
13. Re: Mass Effect 2 Details Mar 23, 2009, 15:49 Scottso

Ok I guess I'm missing something, but where exactly is it implied (or shown) that Shepard is dead? I've never seen that. At the end of my play-throughs Shepard triumphantly walked into the sunset very much alive.

My only real beef with the first one is the lack of variety of locations. Only the storyline missions were different. Planets all were mostly the same thing. Same buildings. Same layout. Baddies in the same places in the same rooms. No variety and as little randomness as possible. It got to the point that you knew exactly what to expect depending on which of the 3 different building types you were in.

News Comments > EVE Online Retail Bonuses
21. Re: EVE Online Retail Bonuses Feb 7, 2009, 01:32 Scottso

Seriously, more than any other came I can think of, Eve requires a LOT of patience. You can't speed grind to high levels and you can't have your high level buds come and level you up. Because it takes real time to learn skills you just have to wait. You can speed it up in various ways, buy investing in implants or training up in various learning skills, but you still have to wait a certain amount of time.

Most of the folks who complain that it's boring are folks that don't have the patience to get their skills up high enough to be able to either PvP well, or be competitive in the PvE stuff like trading and manufacturing. They also tend to be the folks that need to be herded along by the game telling them where to go and what to do next. Unlike almost every other MMO out there today, in Eve you can do what you want. There is no "best" way to go or "best" thing to do. You can do anything you like. Anyone can train to do anything. It just takes time to be good at it.

It's definitely not a game for everyone. But if you have the patience and you are a self-motivated type of person Eve is a lot of fun. If you are the kind player that needs the game to give you clear and definite goals at all times you will not like it at all. Everything in the game is player driven. Even the items you buy. If you've never played Eve you don't know what crafting really is.

News Comments > Dante's Inferno Announcement & Movie
6. Re: Dante's Inferno Announcement & Movie Dec 15, 2008, 13:07 Scottso

How exactly do you "option film rights" for a piece of work that was written 700 years ago and is way beyond any copyright or ownership issues? I think someone got ripped off.  

News Comments > Mythic on The Old Republic
4. Re: Mythic on The Old Republic Oct 22, 2008, 03:56 Scottso

Who the heck is this guy and why does anyone care what the he has to say about anything? He makes a sub par WoW clone and now he's the expert on all things MMO? I don't get it.

News Comments > Blizzard on Conan's Impact
7. Re: returned Aug 1, 2008, 01:45 Scottso

I think AoC will do just fine. As stated in the OP he went back to WoW to "hang out with" his buddies. All my buddies have moved out of WoW a long a time ago and are all playing AoC now. Those are the types of folks that will still be playing even after the the WoW expansion. Wow is the MySpace of MMO's so its a given it will be popular. But that doesn't mean its actually the best or even the most fun. It just means it gets play because "everyone is doing it." And if you think otherwise, then you are someone who is <25 years old and thinks they have seen or experienced anything significant in their lifetime.

News Comments > On WAR Cuts
19. Re: Bad sign Jul 14, 2008, 19:36 Scottso

Your comment regarding AoC is extreme. They have bugs, they have balance issues... but all of the classes have their place in the game and are quite capable in PVP or PVE if played/spec'd properly (as is expected).

I have to agree with this. Sure there are some issues, but there is certainly nothing game breaking. Every class is fun as heck to play. And its only getting better all the time. I can't speak for Warhammer because I haven't played it, but I'm having a blast with AoC. And considering the amount of people, guilds and guild cities there are on just the one server I play on, I have to say its definitely a big success so far despite all the QQ'ers on forums.

40 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo