Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 14986 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Nov 1, 2013, 08:27 Verno

$350 for the 32GB, no contract, LTE, better camera and no more glass back. Google/LG really knocked it out of the park this time.  

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > South Park: The Stick of Truth Delayed
25. Re: South Park: The Stick of Truth Delayed Nov 1, 2013, 08:26 Verno

This looks great and the delay works for me, got enough on my plate til the new year.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
44. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 16:52 Verno

ForgedReality wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 16:40:
Hilarious how you provide nothing to back up your statements, and yet the facts laugh in your face at how wrong you are. 5400 rpm doesn't cut it. Sorry.

You typed a three line troll, it's not like there was much there to work with. The spindle rate of the drive has little correlation to the visuals, slow drives manage just fine with a cache and platter density is just as important, not to mention other factors. If you had talked about the APU instead you might have had a point but even then after seeing barely "next gen" footage of many upcoming games I don't really see how its detrimental to developers or gamers at the moment. This type of stuff matters a lot more down the road when developers are hitting the limits of the hardware but that's years away. For some perspective Rockstar managed GTA 5 with consoles having less than a gigabyte of memory, they now have 8GB. The limits of development these days are more related to budget than to hardware constraints.

Also just FYI most of the people buying a console at launch are core consumers, the casuals tend to come later with lower prices. I think the only exception to that in the past decade was the Wii. There's also many gamers here who own both a console and a gaming PC because the consoles get many exclusive games they deem worthwhile. The more you know!

News Comments > Fallout 3 Turns 5
75. Re: Fallout 3 Turns 5 Oct 31, 2013, 15:41 Verno

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 14:41:
What's even more sad is grown men who don't see a problem with liking things that are clearly juvenile. Frankly, the complete lack of critical faculties, and the complete embrace of stupidity as being par for the course, are the reasons why the non-gaming world thinks gamers look more than a bit foolish when they start talking about how their sub-moronic hobby is art.

I don't need Fallout 3 to be scientifically accurate with professional writing to enjoy it the same way every movie can't be Citizen Kane. Gaming is an entertainment hobby and when accuracy trumps enjoyment then of course it'll be the first casualty. I think people can enjoy Fallout 3 while still loving the previous games too, it more than makes up for its shortcomings in other categories.

I think video gaming has come a long way since it's inception when I compare something like Super Mario Brothers to The Last of Us, it's still a young medium with a lot of room to grow. Think about your favorite movie and I'm sure there is someone out there who considers you a moron because it's unrealistic or doesn't fit with their views on the subject. As if anyone else can really look down on gaming when movies, television and books are just as rife with "stupidity" anyway.

News Comments > Hellraid Delayed to Next Year
9. Re: Hellraid Delayed to Next Year Oct 31, 2013, 15:06 Verno

Not interested.  

News Comments > Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts
36. Re: Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts Oct 31, 2013, 13:52 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 13:28:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 03:18:
......well, almost 500 games later....

I have only about 250 games in my Steam account. I feel so ... inadequate.

Snuggle Truck inc!

25. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 13:01 Verno

> Loaded scenario
> Ironically incorrect
> A ForgedReality Post

Calling people on Bluesnews casual is also pretty amusing.

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 11:18 Verno

Creston wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 11:13:
So, no USB key support? So if your internet connection is slow as fuck, as mine is, you can't download the latest update somewhere, put it on a USB key, and update the PS4's firmware that way?

THAT.FUCKING.SUCKS.SONY.

Huh? You can do that dude. In the PS Blog FAQ they say USB installation of firmware is still supported. They mean external storage for game installs and shit which isn't supported because Sony uses some weird encrypted file system.

News Comments > Hellraid Delayed to Next Year
7. Re: Hellraid Delayed to Next Year Oct 31, 2013, 11:03 Verno

He can't contribute anything positive, look at his post history. It's all negativity and attention seeking behavior. Pretty much the literal definition of a troll. I strongly suggest people unhappy with his constant disruptions continue to report his posts until he is permanently banned as he obviously has no intention of improving.  

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 10:54 Verno

InBlack wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 10:30:
I dont buy it. Most people I know are getting the PS4 because they want to play GTAVI or Gran Turismo 7 or whatever, I doubt they will go "Oh damn, no USB support, oh well I guess Im going to skip the Ps4 after all...."

You could apply that to any app like Netflix on a gaming console though. I shouldn't have said I dont get why people are upset, I can see why people would be looking closer at it. Given that they received such a shitstorm over twitter that they already had a dev team meeting about it I suspect more people care than we think. All of those things are nice value adds and people got used to the functionality last generation which has lasted years. There are alternatives but when paying $399+ for gaming consoles you kinda want some tertiary functionality too.

Anyways I think they will add this stuff back in, they're just trying to ship and some stuff always has to be cut or pushed back. The Xbox One has a dozen or so features that won't be enabled until long after launch too. The PS3 received several important features after the fact, hell it didn't even have the in-game XMB until a year after launch.

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2013, 11:04.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 10:13 Verno

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 09:07:
I was using external storage on my PS3 to dump a bunch of kids shows and movies on there, so kids could watch Mighty Machines the 3,000th time without using my internet bandwith via Netflix.
Never managed to get the streaming work from my NAS for some reason.

Anyways I think Sony will change these things down the road, but it is funny readin how people are upset and cancel their preorders over this.

Haha yeah, considering the poor media related features in both consoles at the previous launch I don't know why anyone is upset. It'll come later on and until then there are plenty of alternatives.

Yeah thats why I would want to buy a console today. So I can play MP3s, stream from my PC (lol) and plug in USB sticks. Not that Im buying a console, but if I was thats exactly what I would look for in one.

This is kind of a silly attitude, of course people want to consolidate devices whenever possible. Many people can't or won't run an HDMI cable for logistical (large home) or legal reasons (renting) and that's not a permanent solution for some anyway, many homes don't have a dedicated desktop PC anymore for example and someone else might be using a laptop or etc.

There are a lot of edge case scenarios that media STBs can fulfill and anything that saves space in the entertainment stand is welcome IMHO.

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2013, 10:19.

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 08:57 Verno

PS4: No external storage, PC streaming, MP3s.

I don't really care about external storage that much since the hard drive is user upgradable. I think that was more of an issue on the 360 where hard drive space was at a premium due to Microsoft gouging for it and not letting you use USB devices until well into the product life cycle. The lack of DLNA support is puzzling though considering its in most other Sony products and they were the biggest pushers of the standard. I don't use it personally so whatever but I do know people who did.

Games require installation on both consoles, some will be using 50GB with uncompressed textures and audio so I'm not sure if I should upgrade the hard drive or not. I figure after filesystem reservations, video recording cache and whatnot that leaves room for 8ish games to be installed at once and I don't really see myself exceeding that for a long time so maybe I'll worry about it down the road.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2013, 08:51 Verno

Man you're on your game today Blue, didn't even have time to finish my coffee yet.  

43. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 30, 2013, 16:02 Verno

I don't know, I think I'm kinda done with the CoD formula that was way better done in older games like Counter-Strike anyway. I agree that Destiny looks more promising in at least it's trying new things.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2013, 14:07 Verno

Ravens and Browns? Can't make up my mind.

Same with Chargers and Redskins.

7. Re: Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts Oct 30, 2013, 14:05 Verno

Keilun wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 13:56:
With the number of F2P games (TF2, PoE, etc.) on Steam these days, counting accounts with purchases doesn't make much sense anymore. So it's probably now based on account activity in past X months?

Either way, they're impressive numbers.

Yeah I agree with you, I'm sure they are using some updated formula for it but that's the last official word on it that I recall. Activity in the past year is a fair barometer I think but the numbers seem inflated for that unless I don't grasp how much Steam has really grown in the past three years which is totally possible.

5. Re: Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts Oct 30, 2013, 13:17 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 12:56:
I would imagine (looks at stats) that Steam is only 20 Million actual accounts. The rest are dupes and 2nd,3rd,4th accounts (see mess that was holiday sale).

This came up in the past, I think they qualify an account as anything with a purchase. Of course that purchase can be a single copy of Snuggle Truck, Half-Life 1 or it might be an account with thousands of games. Judging by the concurrent user numbers I have no problem believing there are roughly 25-30 million accounts that are used on a regular basis though.

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 30, 2013, 12:53 Verno

Panickd wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 12:47:
I don't think EA screwed them. They're ostensibly an independent studio. That means they have to take the best deal so that they can make that next game.

Screwed was the wrong word, Respawn certainly needed startup funds and EA was there to provide. He actually does say that EA did it without their knowledge though. I have a hard time seeing Microsoft cutting a check that would cover an entire potential platform worth of sales for a major title but then again they were dumb enough to spend 50mil on timed GTA 4 exclusivity so I guess anything is possible.

2. Re: Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts Oct 30, 2013, 12:48 Verno

Steam Support has been mostly hit for me in the past three years. Before that it was kind of garbage and took forever though.  

News Comments > 100 More Steam Greenlights
15. Re: 100 More Steam Greenlights Oct 30, 2013, 11:15 Verno

Jerykk wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 04:49:
I don't really understand why people object to having more games on Steam. You aren't obligated to buy them. If you're unsure if a game is worth buying, do some research. It's not rocket science. There's nothing wrong with having choices.

There have been a few cases of questionable products come through Greenlight but that sort of stuff happened before anyway so I tend to agree with this. I think the community does a pretty good job of filtering through the crappy stuff, some casual reading on the internet usually leads me to good games.

14986 Comments. 750 pages. Viewing page 47.
< Newer [ 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo