Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 17354 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2015, 13:53 Verno

Re: car noise in general, I've driven a Tesla and love how quiet it is. The almost instant on acceleration takes a little getting used to as well. When the "consumer" line arrives in 2016 I'll be quite interested.  
Playing: The Witcher 3
Watching: True Detective
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 23, 2015, 09:29 Verno

Molyneux warns Microsoft: Don't overpromise on HoloLens.

Literally zero introspection or shame in that guy.

Thanks for Milo Peter!

News Comments > Morning Interviews
31. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 23, 2015, 09:06 Verno

Director of my wallet on Evolve: "This game isn't worth $60, let alone selling DLC for".  

News Comments > Roberts: Star Citizen Will "Probably" Pass $100M; Release Schedule Expanded
40. Re: Roberts: Star Citizen Will Jan 22, 2015, 12:14 Verno

Creston wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 11:38:
Verno wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 11:27:
I just want to fly some crazy space destroyer with my buddies manning various stations as if we were playing some weird Star Trek/Star Wars hybrid

Yeah, exactly. It SOUNDS really cool, but what are those buddies manning various stations actually doing?

Lost in the all the cool TNG episodes was the fact that if Data wasn't an Android, he'd have been bored out of his mind sitting at that Ops station.

Stop ruining my dream, I just want to have silly bridge drama and battle space pirates.

15. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 22, 2015, 12:12 Verno

That's what happens when you leave the comfy confines of Valve, no sympathy from me  

News Comments > Roberts: Star Citizen Will "Probably" Pass $100M; Release Schedule Expanded
25. Re: Roberts: Star Citizen Will Jan 22, 2015, 11:27 Verno

I just want to fly some crazy space destroyer with my buddies manning various stations as if we were playing some weird Star Trek/Star Wars hybrid  

News Comments > Free Windows 10 Upgrade Plans
68. Re: Free Windows 10 Upgrade Plans Jan 22, 2015, 10:52 Verno

Thanks to the OS I run on my smartphone I actually have pretty tight control over what it disseminates. Just because you sacrifice privacy in one area of your life doesn't mean people are willing to do that everywhere either. Heck I do very little that I care about others knowing on my phone as compared to my computer so I would worry more about the OS.

You do make a good point about banking activities and whatnot though. You can't really escape it but I don't think that means just accepting it either.

66. Re: Free Windows 10 Upgrade Plans Jan 22, 2015, 10:26 Verno

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 08:16:
If you are paranoid about spyware and stuff I think Win10 is the least of your worries.

Why is that? Consider how many different user metrics you can datamine with an operating system. That data has significant value.

I don't think paranoia has anything to do with it either and even if it did, the Snowden debacle proved that sometimes its justified.

News Comments > Cross-Platform Windows 10 Fable Legends Announced
21. Re: Cross-Platform Windows 10 Fable Legends Announced Jan 22, 2015, 10:24 Verno

Ugh. Just ugh.  

5. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 22, 2015, 09:55 Verno

I don't think they're doing anything underhanded per se, just some shitty business practices I dislike and won't tolerate from a brand new franchise.

When you're Assassin's Creed or whatever then you can have a shitty DLC bonanza with preorder editions and all that nonsense. With a brand new franchise that is totally unproven you can't really get away with acting like that, people just won't put up with it. The value proposition here was already pretty dubious, a multiplayer only game retailing for $60+ all of the DLC bullshit just ticked people off.

The game itself is pretty underwhelming to boot.

11. Re: Roberts: Star Citizen Will Jan 22, 2015, 09:54 Verno

Bradley wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 09:40:
Let the 2 minutes of hate begin.

2 minutes? Man you underestimate us

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2015, 09:41 Verno

NKD wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 09:20:
The DeflateGate joke I'm fond of is the one that goes this is the first time we've had a sports controversy about deflated balls that didn't involve performance enhancing drugs.

Hahaha thanks, I'm using that one sometime

It was a 45-7 game, I can't believe people are making a huge deal out of it or are even surprised given Belichick's history.

1. Re: Roberts: Star Citizen Will Jan 22, 2015, 09:13 Verno

But the crowdfunding isn't really about the money," Roberts explains. "Yes, the money is nice. Yes the money enables you to do some of these things you do, but it's really about bringing people in to create this community and have them sort of share that experience with you as you're building it."

Chris you've got a little bit of brown stuff on the side of your mouth there.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 21, 2015, 18:52 Verno

Cutter wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 18:36:
Then they're not really qualified trainers because the science on rowing has been well known for years. And yes, that exercise - as opposed to none - does make a difference. Hell, we sleep for 8 hours, is that bad too? Fact is even deskjob people do get up and move around and take micro breaks all day. Standing around for 8 hours isn't going to be anything than marginally better than sitting around as far as burning calories go, and it's going to be a lot harder on the joints in the long run. Consider how we evolved and there's a lot of sitting and squatting and laying down involved in our day to day lives too. We didn't evolve running marathons on treadmills all day long. Apply a little common sense to these sorts of issues.

Helps to read the comment first, not a fan of rowing machines, for the reasons I listed already. Yes, some exercise is better than none, that's not exactly a revelation. It doesn't mean that small targeted exercise alone makes up for a sedentary lifestyle. That's why its better to take breaks, do other activities, stand for awhile, etc. Getting a machine is a bandaid, not a fix. No one said anything about standing 8 hours a day either, apply a little common sense in the future

I use a standing/sitting desk to change up my posture, it helps my back and staves off RSI related issues in addition to other benefits.

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 2015, 18:57.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 21, 2015, 16:33 Verno

Cutter wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 14:35:
That you offset your sedentary lifestyle by working out intelligently, Stephen. You can work harder, or you can work smarter. It's not rocket surgery.

Actually most qualified trainers I know aren't fans of those rowing machines, lots more potential for twisting and hyperextension injuries compared to the real thing. Rowing for 30 minutes in the evening doesn't make up for 8 hours of sitting on your ass in the office either. Sedentary lifestyles need adjustment, not exercise plans bolted on. Hence standing desks, micro-breaks, etc.

23. Re: Free Windows 10 Upgrade Plans Jan 21, 2015, 16:26 Verno

nutshell42 wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 15:33:
There was the let's play feature which is kinda cool and I took the fact that they used it with a Steam (mentioned explicitly) game to be their peace offer to the Gaben.

They basically said that they'll concede PC gaming and I'm fine with that because everything they did was crap and not helping.

I don't know that was pretty lackluster. Spencer before the event was making grandiose claims about it being "best windows OS for gaming ever!". There really is no excuse not to have native first party games on the PC and the streaming thing is just a lame concession at best. They might score a few tablet users that way, assuming people even buy windows tablets.

Like you said though I would rather they just fart around in console world, they did as much harm as good over the years. Ship the OS, ship DirectX, bugger off.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 21, 2015, 14:23 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 14:05:
Verno wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 12:46:
So Microsoft just announced that Windows 10 is a free upgrade for the first year, going back all the way to Windows 7. I'm betting this is for consumers only and not VLK.

As I understand it, free for the first year, then an annual fee after that. MS is being kind of vague about the whole thing, but you can be sure they're trying to figure out how to squeeze blood from the udders. Sounds like they're moving to software as a service as a way of avoiding people that skip the crappy MS releases and only buy an OS every other release (or every third release).

Shit good point, I didn't even consider that. Fuck, no way I'm paying an annual fee for Windows.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 21, 2015, 13:09 Verno

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 12:33:
Off topic:

I updated to Windows 8.1 and immediately noticed my disk usage was constantly at 98 - 99% and it took me about two days of dicking around to find a solution and that solution was to disable BITS along with several other services which seem to tie in to Windows Update somehow which means Windows Update decided to stop working. The solution to that solution was to get WSUS and update through command.

What a god damn mess.

What was the I/O priority? Background? New installs usually have that until the mountain of updates are finished and indexed.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 21, 2015, 12:46 Verno

So Microsoft just announced that Windows 10 is a free upgrade for the first year, going back all the way to Windows 7. I'm betting this is for consumers only and not VLK.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 21, 2015, 11:32 Verno

Cutter wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 11:24:
Wow, nice chair. I've always loved their stuff, but it's so expensive. Is it worth it?

If you asked me before I ever sat in one, I would've said "haha are you nuts? $1000 for a chair?!". After sitting in one, absolutely its worth every penny, especially if you spend 4-8 hours a day in it. It has a metal frame, no cheap plastic shit. The arm cushions are high quality leather and are still firm 7 years later. The mesh lets your body breath and is very comfortable. Mine came with a lumbar support thing too which is great. The arms are fully adjustable, they swivel/detach/etc. I wish I had just bought one of these long ago instead of spending $100-200 every 3 years on shitty Staples/Ikea chairs that look and feel like shit.

I got mine used at an office liquidator warehouse for like $400. I would check out the Herman Miller website and then look for retailers on there, best way to find guys selling used ones. Either that or look on kijiji/craigslist. I liked my Aeron so much I bought one for home too.

Other good chair companies are HumanScale and Steelcase.

17354 Comments. 868 pages. Viewing page 47.
< Newer [ 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo