Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 17344 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Key Revocation Follow-ups
45. Re: Far Cry 4 Key Revocation Follow-ups Jan 29, 2015, 09:16 Verno

I don't know, I generally like playing games with my friends.  
Playing: The Witcher 3
Watching: True Detective
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Interviews
21. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 29, 2015, 08:54 Verno

Ludomancer wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 20:18:
Heh. You realize if it's actually portrayed in a mature manner, people like Sarkesian would have no problem with it, right?

It's not the content, it's the tone and portrayal, and idiots (like yourself), that are too mentally handicapped to understand the difference.

That seems pretty naive to me. Her income literally depends on her having a problem with things.

There are few realistic portrayals of sex in the media anyway. That goes for movies and television doubly. People don't want realistic, they get that already. They want the fantasy.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
24. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 29, 2015, 08:45 Verno

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 16:54:
Two things. First, I think his sentence is lighter than a regular person would have received.

I don't. I've seen similar results for first time offenders, suspended sentences are quite common. People keep trying to use other examples from other cases rather than judging this one by context.

Second, this is hardly the only case where a cop has been shielded by the system.

I don't think he was shielded by the system. If you want to talk about the past this sort of thing would've been swept under the rug and that would've been real injustice. I'm quite happy with the results. The officer didn't get a suspension or something silly, he lost his job. He didn't try to fight it and that's likely the reason he didn't get jail time, just like many people who take suspended sentences in plea arrangements.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
12. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 29, 2015, 08:42 Verno

I don't think creating segregated programs is the way to encourage more equality in the workplace. I also don't think women want equality in the first place nor do I think thats even possible due to simple human nature. Some of you live in these idealized, fantasy worlds and while I think aspirations make great forum speech, they don't translate well to reality.  

14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 28, 2015, 15:21 Verno

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 15:13:
As long as this supposedly functioning system continues to shield the bad apples and other connected folks from equal consequences to those that regular people face, it is broken.

I don't think any bad apple was shielded here so *shrug* and no one said the system was perfect but likewise it doesn't feel broken to me. If this guy was actually shielded and still working then I would be as upset as others. Regardless I'm not trying to champion law enforcement as a whole here, I just think that the punishment fits the crime in this case.

10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 28, 2015, 14:07 Verno

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 13:50:
"I feloniously stole data, invaded your privacy, violated your Constitutional and civil rights....Oh, yeah, and I'll totes get another job in a related field with a private company without much of a problem at all.

No he won't, he has a felony record. He will be lucky to work in anything related to the field considering how prevalent background checks are in it and deservedly so. I don't think a higher standard has to automatically mean jail time for every possible offense either. I don't see how a jail sentence was warranted here under the circumstances.

I would like to take a moment to acknowledge that there are good, even great, professional officers of the law who bust their asses to keep the public safe and do their job ethically. However, those men and women now seem to be very much in the minority

Quite the opposite, we wouldn't have a functioning system of government if that was the case. It's easy to snipe headlines and simply ignore that the majority perform admirably under challenging conditions every day doing a job that most of us don't want to.

News Comments > Ken Levine's Sci-Fi PC Game Plans
19. Re: Ken Levine's Sci-Fi PC Game Plans Jan 28, 2015, 13:09 Verno

Ken does interesting stories but the games themselves have been coming up short for awhile now. I would really want an emphasis on improved combat systems before narrative this time.  

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Key Revocation Follow-ups
15. Re: Far Cry 4 Key Revocation Follow-ups Jan 28, 2015, 11:21 Verno

Yeah I'm with Quboid, people know what they're doing here and there's a reason those keys are so much cheaper than legit sources. Ubisoft could've handled it differently but they don't seem to give a shit about their PR anyway.  

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 28, 2015, 11:18 Verno

Quboid wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 11:10:
That plea deal doesn't seem unreasonable to me either. I think he would have been fired if he hadn't resigned first but I don't know. He certainly would have deserved it, he has no place in law enforcement.

Yeah exactly. With a felony record there's no way hes getting a job in law enforcement again and the women probably has a good shot at a civil suit because this is America and why not.

Some idiot on a news site I was reading was talking about how he should be in prison for 10 years for "raping her", people are so melodramatic.

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 28, 2015, 11:05 Verno

He stole some pics from a phone, he didn't beat her or something. He got a suspended sentence, has to embarrass himself publicly admitting to it in some seminar, lost his job and is now probably tarnished in that field for life. I think that's pretty appropriate punishment for the crime, sheesh. Lots of things get factored into sentencing and plea agreements like public service, any past criminal activities (or lack thereof) and so on.  

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jan 28, 2015, 10:16 Verno

Takes time to build a franchise over here. I saw a lot of interest in it after the PS+ promotion though and I think they could make a go of it.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jan 28, 2015, 10:07 Verno

Capcom: 'No plans' to release Dragon's Dogma Online in the West…

Haha of course not, why would they want to you know...make money? Fucking Capcom.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2015, 09:58 Verno

I'm not sure Pratt is right for the role, the Jones character was more balanced toward playing it straight with wise cracks once in awhile and Pratt seems too goofy.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
7. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 28, 2015, 09:17 Verno

EA being scummy again, surprise surprise.  

News Comments > EA Financial Results
9. Re: EA Financial Results Jan 28, 2015, 09:16 Verno

So nothing on Dragon Age Inquisition sales still? And yeah, where the fuck is that PC patch?  

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Game Reviews Jan 27, 2015, 13:00 Verno

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 11:52:
Strange to not see oodles of reviews for Dying Light unless they have a shady embargo where they can't put their review out until after its release? Steam user reviews are consistently positive but I don't trust them when they only have a handful of hours played.

Maybe Techland put on the embargo for an inevitable day one or two patch? I don't know, seems counterproductive for a game which is shaping up to be a great title if those awards and, user reviews, and review excerpts are anything to go by...

They didn't embargo, they just didn't send out review codes until like 12 hours ago...so basically the same thing.

I hear mixed things about the game so I'm just gonna wait til the dust settles.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jan 27, 2015, 10:00 Verno

Sources tell Joystiq that the staff is aware of the closure, but corporate hasn't officially told them, so they are unable to acknowledge anything out of concern that it will cause immediate shutdown. We've reached out for more information. We will update, as we always have, when we know more.

Gotta give it to them for having a sense of humor about it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2015, 09:58 Verno

Yeah we barely got touched too. What I find amusing with weather reporting nowadays is how much it mimics news reporting in sensationalism. If there's a gust here it's a blaring WIND WARNING IN EFFECT bolded font size 30 red text. We get warnings for everything now to the point where I just sort of roll my eyes at it. I don't need a warning for rain guys, just tell me if its going to cause flooding or not. I get that weather systems aren't static and I try to give them some margin of error but they get out of hand.  

News Comments > Ubisoft Deactivating Far Cry 4 Keys; Cites Fraud
47. Re: Ubisoft Deactivating Far Cry 4 Keys; Cites Fraud Jan 27, 2015, 09:24 Verno

Yeah Prez, same sort of deal.

Companies like GMG get their keys directly from the publishers. G2A/Kinguin/etc get their keys from other regions, stolen box copies, etc. There's a reason those sites try to tout a "buyer protection" type program.

I just get my games from Steam/GMG and I've never had any issues getting them cheap when I feel like it. If they're not at the price I want I just wait a bit longer. I'm in no hurry

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 27, 2015, 09:16 Verno

Mountain out of a molehill. The 970 is still an amazing card and the bottleneck scenarios here are pretty remote for most users. I won't be returning my 970.  

17344 Comments. 868 pages. Viewing page 45.
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo