Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 15638 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2014, 08:50 Verno

Yeah it's been pretty brutal, we got another dump of snow a few days ago. Weather Network called for half an inch, we got 4. It was also -20. My neighbor felt like chatting while I was clearing some snow off my truck yesterday and I had to politely beg off after a minute because my ears felt like they were going to fall off. I don't even remember what spring looks like anymore and don't expect to see highs above 0 until April at this rate. The climate in general has changed so much from when I was younger.

I miss LA Not the horrible traffic and crime rate, just the consistency of the weather.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > MS Planning DirectX 12
1. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 08:46 Verno

Surface tablet exclusive  

News Comments > Diablo III XP Bonus
91. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 6, 2014, 08:46 Verno

I went back to my old Monk last night and it's still boring the shit out of me. Everything seems to take forever to kill compared to my Wizard or Demon Hunter. I don't even feel that much more survivable compared to them either. No surprise Monk was Jay Wilson's pet overtuned class, it has his robotic touch all over it. If someone has a good Monk build please let me know otherwise I'm shelving it.

Wizard was hella fun though. Arcane Hydra, Disintegrate, Blizzard and Ice Spike Magic Missile are a fun combo along with Ice armor and crystal skin for bosses. I found some legendaries last night and *gasp* they were upgrades. They even had stats appropriate to my level and class, it's a miracle.

Actually if anything the loot feels a bit overtuned itself, I found more useful drops last in a 2 hour session than I did in a month of playing the old game. In fact literally everything that dropped was useful in one way or another, no crap loot or whites at all. Maybe I just had a good run but hey I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
22. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 5, 2014, 15:40 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 15:31:
Well....the CURRENT issue with increasing min wage is that the small businesses just pass off the increased costs to their customers. So you are robbing from peter to pay paul. I have a lot of friends (service industry) who own/work/etc small biz, bars, restaurants, service companies, etc., and they have flat out said "the increase in vegetables has forced me to increase my food costs" and "Obamacare has forced me to increase prices" and "if min wage goes up my prcies go up" and "gas prices has increased my prices from vendors and I pass that on to the consumer".

Fair enough. Personally I don't think it's a simple net zero and I would like to see it only applied to corporations at a certain income threshold rather than all companies equally. I agree that minimum wage jobs are supposed to be a life stopgap and not a career but the current economic climate isn't helping much in that regard. People aren't just going to spend 30% more for everything across the board, that money goes to a lot of different places, many of which serve to enrich those workers in other areas like education.

Unfortunately there is no silver bullet, a minimum wage increase by itself is a bandaid on a larger problem where top income earners are not reinvesting enough wealth back into the economy. This is something Buffett recognizes that most of his ilk do not.

18. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 5, 2014, 15:01 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 14:41:
I respect Buffet for what he has done in the media and speaks against the class warfare. Having many friends who work service industry, gotta respect his attitude of $15.00 min wage (I personally don't agree - but I have to respect it).

I used to be against a min wage increase but after more research I've completely turned around on it. When you look at how little wages have increased relative to inflation and contrast that against the massive rise in wealth disparity (executive compensation has gone through the roof for example) there can be no doubt that the middle class need help. The dual income lower middle class especially is really in trouble and that means their kids are in bigger trouble. Higher minimum wages tend to provide an economic surge as well, middle class spending is the primary driver of the economy. I'm all for a minimum wage increase, I'd prefer it would be for larger corporations who can afford it instead of Mom & Pop type stores. The problem there is they have effectively no political representation these days and corporate lobbies literally shit money everywhere.

The biggest problem I think that would occur are massive layoffs as companies try to avoid that initial hit.

That right there is the problem. Corporations start cutting with their workforce despite executive compensation being totally ridiculous. Profit and at the top enrichment over all other concerns.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2014, 14:52 Verno

Re: Transformers, they're all terrible movies IMO. Bay is just the wrong director for the role but he's perfected his craft of distracting the masses with boomboom and hackneyed plots so I have to give him credit because they print money.  

86. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 5, 2014, 14:28 Verno

I understand where you're coming from but it's not likely at this point, sorry dude.

Game size seemed much higher last night when I went to DL, 25GB good grief! I thought I would be able to download it in an hour or two then play with people but it ended up taking 3 hours so I passed out watching a movie instead. Hopefully have a chance tonight!

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 5, 2014, 11:13 Verno

Bitcoin is a really bad joke.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 5, 2014, 11:12 Verno

avianflu wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 11:09:
I like Amazon but considering how much many they make on ebooks they really should be selling the paperwhite kindles for 50 bucks max. 120 is a ripoff.

I don't know, Amazon tends to sell their hardware at a loss most of the time. As a company they're remarkably consumer driven, eschewing many usual avenues of profit seeking that other corporations engage in.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
16. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 5, 2014, 09:43 Verno

Sepharo wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 23:40:
I wish I never heard about SEO.
Usually pisses me off just thinking about it.

I hate how that has turned into this weird sham advertising sub-market for flailing 20 somethings. Scamming Google professionally and subverting peoples search for knowledge, what a career.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 5, 2014, 09:22 Verno

Hahaha oh Comcast, never change. Just when I think I've seen all of the bullshit.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 5, 2014, 09:06 Verno

Yes. You get access to a bunch of games for the PS3, Vita and PS4 for the duration of your subscription. Some of them rotate in and out monthly though so you have to add them to your account to ensure you can always download them. I've received so many good games from Plus that I've lost count, its a ridiculous bargain.

Makes XBL look like absolute trash by comparison.

66. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 17:44 Verno

Krovven wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 16:43:
Well I think you are wrong, simple as that. If the AH was all about profit for them, then they would just be making changes and keeping it in. If it was all about profit, then why even have the gold only AH at all? Removing the AH's and making items BoA is almost entirely about getting rid of botters and to get people playing the game and to get rid of all the new problems that the AH brought in.

Yeah I was having trouble parsing what you really thought

They already admitted the RMAH was a business decision. As for the gold AH I think it was an attempt to keep gold inflation down and I don't think it necessitates having the game be entirely online. They could have easily had offline and separate online functionality without impacting it. Regardless though they picked their path and the rest is history. I was never personally that upset with it and this is just going to keep going in circles. I just get where people are coming from on the subject and you don't agree with them, fair enough.

Maybe we can all move on from this stuff now and everyone can try the updated game and hopefully there will be a better outcome this time.

60. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 16:37 Verno

Krovven wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 16:34:
I'm not going to go round and round in circles on the topic because I've said it all before. The narrow minded response is always "If they could do it here, why can't they do it on PC?". Three things (among many many more), they don't control PSN or Live and the consoles have same screen coop, there are far more consoles not connected to the net.

I think some of that is their own fault though, they had some messaging problems. In response to some of the complaints they said something along the lines we couldn't do this game offline but then they went ahead and did just that with the console versions. So I get what you're saying there but they brought that on themselves a bit.

Reality is, there are so few people that will only ever play single player only Diablo 3, they can go play something else if that's all they want.

I don't know if that's true or not, it would be interesting to see how many people played Diablo 3 but never joined another session. Either way though I agree that people who really care can just get a console version or play a different game because at this point I doubt it will change.

57. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 16:21 Verno

Krovven wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 16:06:
I'm not sure what popularity of a game has to do with it being online only or not.

You were trying to draw a parallel between not hearing discussion about POEs online only functionality. I was just commenting that we don't get much POE discussion on this particular forum (not saying POE isnt popular period BTW) so it's not really here nor there to me. I've seen a few users comment on it here and there but POE in general doesn't seem to get much discussion here for whatever reason.

Blizzard was trying to fight hackers etc etc etc

Yeah I've heard all that before, this debate is silly at this point. I still don't buy it as the primary motivator behind it. I'm sure that was a factor but much like the RMAH I think it was a business decision first, everything else second. Regardless it doesn't really matter anymore, most of the rationalizations don't make much sense given the state of the game today and people have long since made up their mind one way or the other.

The game isn't changing in that regard at this point so I think anyone who really cares about it is going to get their fix somewhere else. I don't really care myself, I just found the excuses lacking but we'll agree to disagree there.

Just to add...while there is offline in the console versions of Diablo 3, there is also item stat hacking, which is not present in the online PC game.

That's because there is no server component, the console versions are peer to peer (so far anyway, not sure about the eventual PS4 release). The MP for them is the newer equivalent of open battle net. Blizzard probably wasn't allowed to have the clients connect to battle.net proper, at least not within the framework of the consoles. Someone who cares about offline mode probably doesn't care either way but *shrug*.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2014, 16:32.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Trailer
6. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Trailer Mar 4, 2014, 16:04 Verno

Drivable batmobile?! Ok, Grand Theft Batman has me interested.  

53. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 15:50 Verno

Having said that, I see why many others like it -- It's popular, it looks and sounds good, it's one of the few arpg's on consoles, and it's easy.

Nah that's outdated info, they added difficulty modifiers to the game so that people can have an easy or very challenging experience. Much like POE there's also a defined progression path that people can choose to follow or not. You should really reinstall the game sometime, they've changed a lot since Wilson got the boot.

51. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 15:34 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 15:27:
I quite enjoy the new Patch 2.0 experience to be honest. Adventure mode looks exactly like what Diablo 3 needs to be fun with strangers.

Loot 2.0 is definitely a big deal and changes the game in more ways than just finding shiny stuff. Playing the game with my girlfriend we had characters well geared in no time but the game managed to consistently challenge us to make good choices about build direction based on gear drops. I haven't had a chance to check out the adventure mode coverage yet but will definitely do so. I thought Diablo 3 was a very middling game before but really enjoyed it since the loot system upgrade, I think people should be open minded.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 4, 2014, 15:31 Verno

Cutter wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 15:05:
It's not the hundey so much as people don't want a spybox in their home. Particularly one that's worse hardware for the money to boot.

You can just unplug the Kinect dude, the whole spybox bit is dated, they removed the connection requirement. I agree that it's underpowered compared to the PS4 though and should definitely be cheaper.

49. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 15:24 Verno

Krovven wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 15:18:
I find it amusing that some people still can't see the benefits of it being online only outside of it being just for DRM.

I don't really see any left at this point. The protection against hackers and dupers is dubious at best, especially at this point in the game. People tried to make some arguments about the dynamic joining but they could have easily separated game modes with a toggle to appease people. The existence of the console versions proves that and the offline functionality works very well, I've used it extensively. They're not going to patch it out now because they don't want people running private servers competing with them and so on, that's fine and the ship sailed long ago anyway. If I want offline I'll just buy a console version.

Nobody ever claimed it wasn't DRM, they just pointed out the other benefits that went along with it. PoE is online only...yet nobody ever bitches about that. Being free to play isn't a valid argument either.

I'm not digging up ancient threads to have the same tired debates again but yes, several people did claim it wasn't for DRM. I have seen people here bitch about it with regards to POE as well and POE isn't a very popular game here judging by the lack of responses in its threads so I'm not sure its really conclusive either way. Personally it didn't bug me much in Diablo 3 but the handwaving about design choices when everyone knew it was DRM was pretty silly of Blizzard.

15638 Comments. 782 pages. Viewing page 45.
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo