Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 15581 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III XP Bonus
51. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 15:34 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 15:27:
I quite enjoy the new Patch 2.0 experience to be honest. Adventure mode looks exactly like what Diablo 3 needs to be fun with strangers.

Loot 2.0 is definitely a big deal and changes the game in more ways than just finding shiny stuff. Playing the game with my girlfriend we had characters well geared in no time but the game managed to consistently challenge us to make good choices about build direction based on gear drops. I haven't had a chance to check out the adventure mode coverage yet but will definitely do so. I thought Diablo 3 was a very middling game before but really enjoyed it since the loot system upgrade, I think people should be open minded.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 4, 2014, 15:31 Verno

Cutter wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 15:05:
It's not the hundey so much as people don't want a spybox in their home. Particularly one that's worse hardware for the money to boot.

You can just unplug the Kinect dude, the whole spybox bit is dated, they removed the connection requirement. I agree that it's underpowered compared to the PS4 though and should definitely be cheaper.

49. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 15:24 Verno

Krovven wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 15:18:
I find it amusing that some people still can't see the benefits of it being online only outside of it being just for DRM.

I don't really see any left at this point. The protection against hackers and dupers is dubious at best, especially at this point in the game. People tried to make some arguments about the dynamic joining but they could have easily separated game modes with a toggle to appease people. The existence of the console versions proves that and the offline functionality works very well, I've used it extensively. They're not going to patch it out now because they don't want people running private servers competing with them and so on, that's fine and the ship sailed long ago anyway. If I want offline I'll just buy a console version.

Nobody ever claimed it wasn't DRM, they just pointed out the other benefits that went along with it. PoE is online only...yet nobody ever bitches about that. Being free to play isn't a valid argument either.

I'm not digging up ancient threads to have the same tired debates again but yes, several people did claim it wasn't for DRM. I have seen people here bitch about it with regards to POE as well and POE isn't a very popular game here judging by the lack of responses in its threads so I'm not sure its really conclusive either way. Personally it didn't bug me much in Diablo 3 but the handwaving about design choices when everyone knew it was DRM was pretty silly of Blizzard.

45. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 14:55 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 14:46:
Yeah, the on-line requirement is a bogus excuse for DRM -- no one with half a clue would argue that.

Several people here certainly tried but yeah the curtain was ripped away with the console versions and the offing of the AH.

I'm personally pretty stoked for the Ultimate Evil edition for the PS4, split screen ARPG is fun as hell.

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 4, 2014, 14:47 Verno

ViRGE wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 14:41:
Verno wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 11:28:
It took them the better part of a year and a half to add the XMB which frankly never quite worked optimally.
A year and a half to add the XMB? The PS3 shipped with the XMB. So I'm not sure what this is in reference to.

The in-game XMB overlay and tasker, not the base user interface.

I think $100 buys you a lot of slack in the console market these days. When you're charging $100 more than the next guy so that you can include an accessory that no one really wants and are pushing hardware that isn't quite as capable, I think you've screwed the pooch. There isn't a lot that you can do on the software side to iterate out of that hole.

I don't disagree with you overall but I think that Microsoft can move on the price and that the power advantage is largely forum bait that won't matter to the average person.

Also speaking as a PS4 owner who has also spent some time on an Xbox One it really isn't a conclusive, winning experience over the competition. They need to keep improving on the software side, its where they are weakest.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2014, 14:35 Verno

Red wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 13:33:
The claim is that "nothing" can change an anti-vaxxer's mind, yet was everything tried? No. Only a single thing was tried ("education"). The second step when trying to convince someone to change their opinion? It's called communication!

Communication is part of education. It's not like its a big mystery why people hold ignorant views and you can't aww shucks them into agreeing with something by pretending to humor them. That's even more counter-productive and patronizing than just giving them consensus and facts from the medical community and letting them try to make a reasonable, informed choice. You seem to think that people should be babied and convinced when many are adamantly against any reasonable understanding in the first place. I have no idea why you brought up religion as no one else has mentioned it so far and it has no basis on this IMO.

I don't really care if people want to vaccinate or not, they're just hurting themselves in the long run. I just find it sad when their bad choices affect their kids but oh well, such is life.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2014, 14:44.

News Comments > Titanfall Launch Trailer
2. Re: Titanfall Launch Trailer Mar 4, 2014, 13:46 Verno

I thought it was alright but yeah not picking it up at launch. It is one of those games where I think the first is solid but the second game will really knock it out of the park.

I bet EA is regretting signing that exclusivity deal with Microsoft right now.

News Comments > Dishonored II at E3?
33. Re: Dishonored II at E3? Mar 4, 2014, 13:07 Verno

Creston wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 11:15:
I did. Didn't really make much of a difference to the final level, to be honest. Every guard still walks around like he has no clue there's a supernatural assassin in the area. "Did I just see something? No, must be my imagination!"

I was more referring to the first part of his comment, not the latter. I don't mind that the AI didn't drastically change, development is expensive enough without redoing the AI for specific levels these days. Would it be cool? Sure. It also adds significantly to the development and Q/A budgets.

32. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 12:33 Verno

descender wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 12:01:
Which is exactly the same as D2 was. Play a build, get bored with it, reset your stats. NO ONE played "multiple builds" of the same class up into the higher levels... what would be the purpose of that? You could simply reset your stats and have a brand new build every time you played.

My memory is probably a bit hazy but respecs weren't added until like 2010 dude, the game had been out for something like 10 years already at that point. So yeah people did play that way for a long, long time. In fact they played that way a lot longer than they played with respecs.

That said, people should remember how much each patch changed Diablo 2 and give Diablo 3 another chance. The awful producer is gone and the new loot system I saw on the PS3 owned, I am definitely picking the combo PS4 xpac/main game. I have zero hope for the shitty story but the rest of the expansion looks like a big improvement. But hey its your money and it's not like there's a shortage of other ARPGs.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Revealed
10. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Revealed Mar 4, 2014, 12:12 Verno

Quboid wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 11:56:
Is there a recent show called Cadfael that I'm unaware of or are you watching a 1970s (at a guess) British show about a murder-solving monk in medieval England?

Yeah that's the show I love murder mystery type stuff and this one is set in medieval england with a rather unique protagonist.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Revealed
7. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Revealed Mar 4, 2014, 11:52 Verno

I wanted to but never finished Arkham City, the controls started getting busy and the open world aspects felt weirdly contrasted against the story. The riddler puzzles were annoying, too many weird timing based ones. Didn't even think about getting Origins.

I guess I should give Arkham City another shot sometime but damn, so many games to play

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 4, 2014, 11:28 Verno

Panickd wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 10:51:
You assume that Microsoft is going to iterate quickly while Sony just sits on it's thumbs?

Microsoft has the experience to iterate quickly, that hasn't been Sony's strong suit traditionally. It took them the better part of a year and a half to add the XMB which frankly never quite worked optimally. So while I don't assume they won't iterate, they've been awfully quiet about missing launch features and additions so far and Microsoft is already beta testing a large set of fixes and additions to their own platform in the same time period. As I said, Sony needs to step it up to stay on top. The Xbox won't be in the doghouse forever.

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 4, 2014, 10:33 Verno

The problem with PS4 sharing is no Youtube support. I don't want to share shit to fucking Facebook of all places. There's also some oddities with the DVR where its sometimes recording everything you do but then inexplicably misses the entirety of your last match without any feedback.

PS4 still hasn't delivered on the game suspend/resume feature or the controller sharing over IP. Microsoft will iterate quickly and people will forget a rocky launch if they come down on price, Sony needs to step it up IMO.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2014, 10:12 Verno

It's not just the autism stuff either, as the article notes there's been several weirdo movements to have kids "naturally resist" things like the measles. It kills me that people can sit there owning an advanced device like a smartphone and using it all the time but somehow think that progress in medicine isn't worthwhile because "it was good enough for our ancestors". No it wasn't, that's why we evolved!  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth
5. Re: Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth Mar 4, 2014, 10:02 Verno

I don't think there is such a thing as a work safe South Park video.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2014, 09:53 Verno

Anti-vaccination stuff is just pure head in the sand. I remember arguing with some idiot at a party who was convinced vaccination causes autism (he totally read it on the internet so it must be true!). It makes me really sad that we have kids getting sick and even dying from illnesses we have long since conquered. The sad thing is that most of the same parents are the ones who rationalize the blame away to the medical professions instead of realizing that preventative care is a big part of modern medicine.  

News Comments > DICE Addressing BF "Netcode"
28. Re: DICE Addressing BF Mar 4, 2014, 09:15 Verno

I'm getting bored of BF4 but I can't say I didn't get my moneys worth, 100 hours total. Less than most other BF games I've played but still had a good time, bugs and all. Naval Strike sounds cool but I think I'll shelve this for awhile and check it out later. The gunplay mechanics are much improved but the netcode really does feel like garbage, so many nonsense deaths. If you're going to have such a low tick rate then you need a lower time to kill as well, half of my deaths feel like my soldier just implodes out of nowhere.  

News Comments > Dishonored II at E3?
27. Re: Dishonored II at E3? Mar 4, 2014, 09:11 Verno

Yakubs wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 08:42:
Maybe the enemy forces will actually behave like there's a superhero assassin coming after them instead of wandering around like they just want their overtime pay. I especially love the final mission where the boss explicitly knows you're coming for him and he leaves his complex unlocked and guarded by about 10 incompetent foot soldiers.

But then again it made all the kids feel like REAL BADA$$E$ YO so I guess the game was a rousing success.

Play on Very Hard next time.

News Comments > Steam Family Library Sharing Live
47. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 4, 2014, 08:59 Verno

Ironically people just want similar functionality to what you're doing already except they want it implemented legitimately  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2014, 13:04 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 12:55:
Would you do it for $10M? That's probably what Bale gets paid on average.

He certainly didn't get that for The Machinist

Edit: $250,000.00 apparently. So yeah I'm still going to say no I wouldn't do that to my body for 250 grand. Maybe a mil.

15581 Comments. 780 pages. Viewing page 43.
< Newer [ 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo