Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 15506 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

News Comments > Dark Souls II "Hollow Lullaby" Trailer
8. Re: Dark Souls II Feb 21, 2014, 12:41 Verno

avianflu wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 12:24:
Personally I enjoy watching others play DS1 on YouTube than playing it myself. The time investment....

I don't know, I don't find them particularly time intensive. Once you get a handle on watching for enemy tells and how bosses telegraph their main abilities you can clear them pretty fast. If you go completionist then yeah it would take forever though.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More Frequent Starbound Content Updates Coming
3. Re: More Frequent Starbound Content Updates Coming Feb 21, 2014, 12:33 Verno

I backed a few games where the devs either disappeared or mishandled the money. Some of these guys have never been taught to budget appropriately then suddenly are thrown a dumptruck of money from a Steam sale or whatever. I remember one guy who was totally clueless about the tax implications and other important info.

So yeah while I understand your points Alamar I'm going to err on the side of caution as a consumer and just buy the "finished" product even if it means paying a higher price.

News Comments > Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims
89. Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 21, 2014, 12:25 Verno

It's not just EA, Microsoft really needs this game to be a massive success and you can bet they will leverage their major industry presence to ensure it is. From a business perspective it makes sense.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
45. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2014, 10:49 Verno

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 19:46:
PHJF wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 16:56:
I'm not sure what would be so god damn difficult for some asshole at nvidia or some even bigger asshole at Microsoft to look into and FIX this on the SOFTWARE END, but no, I'm stuck here solving 21st century problems with tiny pieces of tape.
Fixing faulty hardware, via software? Uh...it's an HDMI cable, buy a new one. They're not expensive. It's not a microprocessor with bad microcode.

It's not a faulty cable, as he noted already it's an issue with the way Windows handles detected displays. You can't "hard code" a display, Windows will switch them based on detected devices through powered on states. So sometimes your TV or monitor will swap positions. Then sometimes you reboot and they're misidentified again. It's less problematic with 2 monitors than it is a TV and a monitor for some reason, forget about throwing a receiver into the mix though. All of this is even worse with sound involved because Windows will switch devices on the fly sometimes and even ignore its own Default sound devices passed with the video if it doesn't detect they're on before another.

Multiple monitors in Windows has always been a hackjob and very clumsily implemented unfortunately. It was never designed with combined A/V devices in mind.

I used to have an HDMI over Ethernet run to my receiver for gaming in the living room but I gave up on it since Windows was a fucking mess with it, wish I tried that pin #19 trick. Oh well built some HTPCs instead.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Broadwell NUC Feb 21, 2014, 10:43 Verno

I've been playing around with one of these Celeron Bay Trail NUCs (DN2820FYKH), awesome little HTPC. Fun little machine, I've thrown OpenElec and XBMCBuntu on it but I think I prefer OpenElec overall. It's total overkill for an HTPC, beats the crap out of everything except those silly 10bit anime videos. I threw a build with Retroplayer on there and its doing all of my emulation related stuff too. It's pretty picky on ram though, only seems to take 1.35v SODIMMs.

Anyways highly recommended for a little home server or HTPC. This one was $150 and kicks the crap out of any ARM or AMD stuff.

News Comments > Dark Souls II "Hollow Lullaby" Trailer
3. Re: Dark Souls II Feb 21, 2014, 10:21 Verno

I'm going to do another Dark Souls level 1 run in anticipation of this game.  

78. Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 21:50 Verno

Seventyfive wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 20:11:
I don't know why you're getting so defensive and emotional

Says the guy who cried because someone didn't like his favorite game enough Ears

69. Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 19:23 Verno

Seventyfive wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 17:30:
Love that you snipped my quote so you don't have to justify how you spent 20 hours over the course of a weekend playing a game that's "ok".

I love how you seem to be under the mistaken impression that I need to justify anything at all to you. Next time you want actual discourse, don't start off with a bunch childish bullshit.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
29. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 20, 2014, 15:55 Verno

Julio wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 18:39:
So when do content providers on the internet charge Verizon for access instead? Band together, and refuse all Verizon traffic until they pay up. This could go both ways...

Haha well played. Sadly the last mile is king.

News Comments > THIEF Launch Trailer
36. Re: THIEF Launch Trailer Feb 20, 2014, 15:41 Verno

Preload started - 19.6GB. Toot toot!  

News Comments > Square Enix on More PC FINAL FANTASY
10. Re: Square Enix on More PC FINAL FANTASY Feb 20, 2014, 14:52 Verno

NKD wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 14:36:
Pigeon wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 09:53:
I'm more interested in a remake of VI and to a lesser extent V. Classic style FF gameplay, with a good story and updated graphics. Yes please.

I'm more interested in some _new_ Final Fantasy games with de-updated graphics more along the lines of FF6... maybe I'm crazy but I felt that style of sprite work had a lot of soul.

Bravely Default is awesome. All of the JRPG stuff is happening on the PS3 and 3DS these days.

46. Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 14:20 Verno

descender wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 13:54:
Sometimes the game just sucks.

I don't think it sucks personally but other than my buddies making it their game of the week and taking me along for the ride (anything is fun with beer and friends) I don't have a big urge to revisit it any time soon unless the unseen maps are out of this world good or something. I think it's a good game just not a great one and I'm surprised it's getting a pass on some aspects people would crucify other games for.

Like DangerDog said though, sometimes the best games are the ones to come and for a first entry its definitely good. I'd be very interested in what they do with an expanded sequel and regardless it's got more going for it than Call of Duty these days.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2014, 14:17 Verno

Creston wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 12:45:
Verno wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 09:10:
I woke up this morning and the rain had dropped the snow banks in our yard by a good 10+ inches. They were getting pretty scary, I had to use a friends tractor to clear some of the ice packed ones last week because my fancy new truck/plow couldn't put a dent in them. Money well spent

Dude, do you live in freaking Alaska or something?!

Haha no, like Blue said it's not so much the volume of snow as the very low temperatures without much respite. The accumulation here has been insane despite average levels of snowfall, there's been basically no thaw until today. I had some drifts that were getting scary big.

30. Re: THIEF Launch Trailer Feb 20, 2014, 14:14 Verno

Yeah I got it for $33 on GMG awhile ago and I'm sure I'll get at least that out of it. Go for it duder  

27. Re: THIEF Launch Trailer Feb 20, 2014, 13:54 Verno

I'm looking forward to this, the 15 min thing I saw the other day made it seem pretty cool.  

38. Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 13:53 Verno

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 13:51:
I've heard people were using that smart pistol with the cloak ability combined to sneak up on other players, but like you said even cloaked players can be seen, I've shot many of them.

I didn't find the flow of the game very conducive to sneaking anyway, you're better off setting up ambushes with wallhangs and stuff like that. The time to kill between players is already very high so the smart pistol is a non-factor most of the time, you just use it to farm bots or better yet not at all

34. Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 13:42 Verno

Seventyfive wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 12:43:
Not sure how well you were scoring on the leaderboard per game but if you think the grunts are useless and the titans boring, I'm guessing not very high.

Haha what a fucking dumb comment, not going to even bother with this brand boy nonsense.

That is essentially all the AI was meant to be. Think of Titanfall as an FPS MOBA-lite.

You have to play Hardpoint to actually realize this though. When you play Hardpoint, they can capture the points (Just as a moba mob can attack/destroy a tower) so there is reason to actually kill a squad of them headed to one of your points. As well as the fact that killing them takes time off of your Titanfall timer (equivalent to getting gold in DOTA/LoL to get better gear)

I get what they were shooting for as my initial comment about the MOBA part says, I just didn't care for the implementation. If the beta had been longer I would have had more time to check things out and re-evaluate based on your comments but they already closed it so *shrug*. I will buy this at some point down the line when its cheaper, I've already got a few MP games going anyway. I actually enjoyed the more traditional aspects of the game more than the Titans.

Player count wasn't an issue for me but I only saw the few beta maps.

This comment was edited on Feb 20, 2014, 13:51.

25. Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 12:29 Verno

Creston wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 11:56:
It's very possible that the game simply IS this good. I haven't played it, so I can't judge it. The videos make it look pretty decent, if also fairly standard pew pew pew hitscan multiplayer fare.

It's really just average to good IMO, some people here are playing it up way too much. I logged 20ish hours with the beta and thought the movement and general flow of the game is excellent but the hitscan weaponry is all samey, the AI grunts are a waste of space and I thought the Titans themselves were extremely boring to use.

I only saw the 2 beta levels so maybe there are better maps that would bring it up but it would be a low 80s game for me at best. Graphically its quite dated too and there are a noticeable lack of physics, deformation and other modern design aspects. Two titans battling might as well be a transformers cartoon knockoff, there is no external feedback or environmental impact. Someone on another forum likened it to characters fighting with nerf guns and that is pretty apt IMO. The game is at its strongest when you're just cruising around with the well implemented parkour elements and fighting actual people, not AI grunts or titans. Also using "AI" to describe what they have in that game is too generous, my coffeemaker has stronger AI. They are literally the dumbest bots I have ever seen in any game and they don't even work if you try to think of them as MOBA style fodder.

So yeah it's not a bad game at all and a decent exclusive for Microsoft to hang its hat on but it's not the OMG 95+ Metacritic circlejerk that you know is coming.

11. Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 09:45 Verno

I don't know, Titanfall didn't feel like a mech game to me. Maybe mech-lite. No deformation, really poor destruction decals, battles between them felt cartoony and fleeting. It was ok but I didn't really get all of the hoopla about that game. I had more fun ground pounding with wallrunning and double jumps.  

News Comments > Square Enix on More PC FINAL FANTASY
1. Re: Square Enix on More PC FINAL FANTASY Feb 20, 2014, 09:22 Verno

I had to laugh the other day when this guy claimed it would take them 10 years to remake FF7. Maybe if half of your company wasn't producing mountains of art assets you'll never use you could finish it sooner.

15506 Comments. 776 pages. Viewing page 42.
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo