Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 14971 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 8, 2013, 12:54 Verno

Men naturally want to be viewed as handsome and successful, it's the barometers most of us measure ourselves by. So of course when given some internet anonymity some men will want to see how they measure up. It's really the same as measuring yourself against others in competition, work, etc. Most people are inherently a little bit insecure and seek validation from somewhere.

I know many love the portrait behind the whole derp derp "act like a cock 24/7 and dont care what anyone thinks" confidence thing but most of us are more balanced than that.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 8, 2013, 12:40 Verno

Creston wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 12:27:
Didn't Microsoft say that all that data would get destroyed after a session ended.?

Failboat One.

It's stored locally on the console and they claim it isn't uploaded but really who the fuck would trust them after PRISM?

On a side note I find it amusing that stuff you would've been labeled a lunatic for saying 10 years ago like the government collecting every email and telephone call is now commonplace.

When I told my girlfriend what the newer Kinect was capable of she said no way it enters the house. I think she's worried it will take pictures of our daughter or something. She owns a cellphone with a camera but for some reason people are okay with that privacy tradeoff. I tried to laugh off her concerns a bit but then I remember PRISM and I think that maybe sometimes paranoia can just be prudent.

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 2013, 12:45.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
24. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 8, 2013, 12:23 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 12:05:
Really? The living room might not be dying a final death, but device fragmentation has absolutely relegated it to a niche, if not completely yet in some households. I'm not rich by any stretch, most of the families I know are middle class. But each person has their own device that occupies the majority of their time. Time in front of the TV with family or friends is pretty much a weekend activity only.

This situation is pretty much mirrored and growing around the globe. Microsoft as usual is years late to the party, the living room is everything dream came and went already. They are competing with everything from Smart TVs to cellphones at this point, not to mention the traditional TV markets. The Xbox doesn't really bring them anything, even if I decided to go whole hog on the Xbox One, my purchase doesn't make me more likely to buy a Windows Phone or use a Surface tablet. Ballmers one company strategy just doesn't make sense for so many disparate markets, maybe years ago before Apple and Android gobbled up the market but now its fruitless.

The Xbox should be sold off and can survive on its own merits or not, Microsoft propping it up makes little sense. They can even continue to leverage interop if they believe in with a partnership and some money instead of the massive capital investments required to continue making consoles. Bing should be put out to pasture, it's a complete joke that survives on users being tricked into using it. We've had 12 years of Xbox and while the brand is one of their few successful ones, they don't really have anything to show for it. Windows and Enterprise software has been and might always be their bread and butter.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2013, 11:04 Verno

I figured the Vikings would do their usual "get ahead and choke in the last 2 minutes" routine  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2013, 10:35 Verno

Of course the Vikings pick yesterday to actually win a game *sigh*  

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 8, 2013, 10:30 Verno

Agreed IB.

So the PS4 launch is next week and I'm not expecting it to be smooth. I really hope they let us get that 1.5 firmware download first, some people are pegging preorders at 3-5mil so that's a lot of people to be hitting infrastructure on day 1. I just want to grab the firmware and all of my video apps fast then dive into AC4 and worry about video sharing and other junk in the future.

I was a little bummed to see they delayed suspend/resume support for games, I hope that makes it back in quick as that was one of the features I was really looking forward to.

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 8, 2013, 10:13 Verno

Badges for watching video, wow. That's a new low.  

News Comments > Into the Black
11. Re: Into the Black Nov 8, 2013, 09:17 Verno

Haha whatever, that looked perfect for a modern Robocop and Robocop is a schlocky B movie if you go back and watch it today.  

18. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 8, 2013, 09:13 Verno

Kajetan wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 08:59:
Of course the Xbone will do fine. For itself. As a seperate unit. No longer being attached to MS. Just being the product of a Xbox company which concentrates on making attractive offers to video game players. And no longer being simply a worn out tool in the attempt to conquer the family rooms of the world.

Hey man I agree. Just saying that all of the doom and gloom stuff about the Xbox One ignores how much brand loyalty exists in our sad excuse for a consumer base

If it failed out of the gate then maybe Microsoft would be more tempted but it won't due to major brand awareness + marketing. Management is also hellbent on Kinect being some kind of killer app that can be leveraged across the whole company.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2013, 09:06 Verno

I don't bother with a flu shot, the one year I did I ended up getting the flu later anyway. When I'm older and my immune system isn't up to par its something I will consider though.  

News Comments > Diablo III Reaper of Souls Trailer
21. Re: Diablo III Reaper of Souls Trailer Nov 8, 2013, 08:45 Verno

I would give this a chance but not at launch, I'll wait for people here to weigh in. Diablo 3 was really an okay experience but very forgettable.

I really just want POEs depth and mechanics combined with Diablos combat design and visuals. Hopefully that's what Grim Dawn manages to do.

15. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 8, 2013, 08:43 Verno

The Xbox One will do fine, it has too much brand inertia to just die out quickly. The PS4 will likely sell better for the first few years but after that its a toss up. I can't really see it selling 200 million units or something though, the analyst is correct that it is a pointless distraction from their usual revenue sources.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
6. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 8, 2013, 08:40 Verno

gray wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 08:00:
You guys don't get paternity leave? What century is it

I'm in Canada for work right now and one of the guys I normally deal with is on paternity leave. At first I was a bit amused but hey man whatever, time off work to take care of the kid is what it is. If my woman made more money than me maybe we would consider the same thing, gotta do what's fiscally responsible for your household.

News Comments > On Sale
13. Re: On Sale Nov 8, 2013, 08:38 Verno

Jerykk wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 00:30:
Prez wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 21:20:
Is Blood Dragon just Far Cry 3 with a retro 80's vibe or does it do its own thing?

Basically just FC3 with a 80's sci-fi vibe.

Yeah I have to go with Jerykk here, it's a FC3 reskin with some nostalgia factor. It doesn't overstay its welcome or anything but it's a novelty.

News Comments > Next Mass Effect Teases
24. Re: Next Mass Effect Teases Nov 8, 2013, 08:37 Verno

I'd like to see a new Mass Effect game but I really don't want them doing the same thing they did last time with shared maps for multiplayer and stuff. I want the wide open Citadel of the first game, big open planets with stuff to do, etc. No need to compromise on quality now that memory constraints aren't a concern.  

News Comments > Grim Dawn Early Access
21. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Nov 7, 2013, 15:04 Verno

The combat model in this seems more much engaging than recent games, really looking forward to it.  

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
4. Re: Hardware Reviews Nov 7, 2013, 14:05 Verno

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 13:47:
That's fine, you don't have to buy it. I won't, either. But I still think it's unreasonable to ask them to lower the price for no reason.

Eh I don't think there's anything unreasonable about price matching competition.

I don't mind buying in at the high end and I'm due for a new card soon but we haven't seen a lot of software lately to justify it and with the next gen consoles around the corner longevity is a bit of concern, particularly when you're spending that kind of dough. My 8800GTX lasted me a long time and I was fine with the price but my priorities are a lot different these days and so is the market. Nvidia enjoys pretty lavish margins and could knock a bit off IMO.

Anyways they need my money more than I need their card so *shrug*.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2013, 14:17.

News Comments > Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013
13. Re: Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013 Nov 7, 2013, 13:53 Verno

Flatline wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 13:49:
It wasn't just broken promises, it was a failing of the entire premise of the game: choices that matter and reciprocate.

None of your decisions in games 1 & 2 impact the end-o-tron 3000 at the end of the game. Just the two meters in 3 impact it. Which sucks. Hard.

Yeah that's pretty much what I was referring to. They'd been selling people on this new narrative style for 3 games. Hell they literally said there would be some impact and that they were telling this grand ending influenced in a meaningful way by your choices. In fact one of the preview interviews for 3 had some guy literally saying they "wouldnt do a door A, B, C type ending" and that's...exactly what they did.

I give them some credit for actually trying to salvage it with a patch but they also did a lot of finger pointing at the audience and tried to handwave off their earlier promises with "artistic prerogative" bullshit.

News Comments > Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013
11. Re: Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013 Nov 7, 2013, 13:47 Verno

Prez wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 12:22:
ME 2 wasn't as good as 1 for me, and I've never bothered to try 3. I bought 3 on a big discount, but I've heard the ending is terrible and it means I have to re-install Origin, so I have been dragging ass on it.

ME1 had bigger levels and was more immersive. People knocked the procedurally generated planets but most planets are empty and boring so I had no problem with them. The bigger issue was getting around, the Make took way too long to get you anywhere. ME2 felt like a series of corridors, not a convincing universe and the story was beyond stupid. ME3 is a bit of a mix between the two and is widely considered to be a solid compromise but unfortunately that ending and a set of broken promises cast a pall over the whole trilogy.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
2. Re: Hardware Reviews Nov 7, 2013, 13:07 Verno

Nvidia needs to come down to earth with their pricing too, I know they love their margins but I'm not paying them $600+ for a high end card anymore.  

14971 Comments. 749 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo