Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 16900 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 31, 2015, 09:19 Verno

I don't see you donating all of your videogame money to starving orphans. Since when do you get to tell a man how to spend his hard earned money? Would you appreciate the rest of us doing that to you? Naw you would bitch to hell and back.

If some fruitcake wants to blow it on a dumb watch then whatever, a fool and his money.

Playing: Bloodborne, Pillars of Eternity, DOTA2
Watching: The Infinite Man, Silicon Valley, Bloodline
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning
47. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 31, 2015, 09:11 Verno

Finally had a chance to dive in the other night, was pleasantly surprised at the mix of voiced vs text dialogue. I made a Monk for kicks, they seem weird so far and the Wounds mechanic will definitely take some getting used to. I am really starving for a Priest already, getting my butt whooped on regularly on Hard.  

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Operator Trailer
10. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Operator Trailer Mar 30, 2015, 16:34 Verno

SlimRam wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 15:50:
But how many kills or assist do you have to get to be a SMOOOOOOOOOTH OPERATOR?

Hahah I was hoping someone would make a Sade crack.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2015, 09:18 Verno

HOTS is alright, I enjoy the shorter matches because Dota games can drag on for quite awhile. I find it a bit more shallow than I would prefer but its nice to fit in a 20 minute game in between things. They are super competitive games so that combined with the internet anonymity stuff means you find a lot of shitty behavior.

My group is the opposite, we've run out of other stuff to play so we're looking at Borderlands Pre-Sequel to fill the gap a bit before GTA V PC. I'm pretty burned out on the Borderlands formula but hopefully pre-sequel does some new things to keep me interested.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
7. Re: Sunday Consolidation Mar 30, 2015, 08:40 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Mar 29, 2015, 15:59:
I just unplug my devices. Some of them show 40 watts on the KillaWatt on "off" mode.

The only offender we had in our household that did this was the cable box which we got rid of years ago. I can't be bothered turning on/off power strips or using those gimmicky Conserve things just to save $4 a year.

News Comments > Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin Pricing & Specs
5. Re: Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin Pricing & Specs Mar 28, 2015, 12:00 Verno

Bloodborne just came out.. why would you go back to dark souls?

Pretty much the consensus is that bloodborne has better combat than dark souls.

Probably people who don't own a PS4, Bloodborne is a Sony exclusive and unlikely to ever come to the PC platform

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week
27. Re: Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week Mar 28, 2015, 11:01 Verno

Cutter wrote on Mar 28, 2015, 10:44:
That's my point, you're forced into styles of play with this system. You basically always have to sneak into battle. Your non-tanks are beyond squishy. Monks have to get hit in order to use their skills/powers? That's fucking stupid beyond belief. Almost every fight my rogue/monk/wizard get dropped. The tanks can't hold aggro. It's just bad design all around. Yet again, this shows the major problem with paid betas when its the fanboys telling the devs what they want to hear.

Feedback in beta was actually very critical and many improvements were made. You aren't always forced to sneak into battle, non-tanks are squishy for a reason (high debuff, CC and damage potential) and you have to play intelligently at all times, its not forgiving of mistakes. Use positioning to your advantage and make sure anyone going after ranged/casters gets punished by your melee core who should be forcing them into engagement at every opportunity. Bring a priest, it makes a big difference in smoothing the learning curve. Spam your abilities on every character, don't save them, they make a huge difference.

Don't give up so easily. Pause all the time if things are going too fast.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
37. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 28, 2015, 09:13 Verno

Yes people bitched and moaned initially - that's exactly my point. The Commentary typically went something like:
"zOMG what is this BS", then
"I had to install steam to play [game] moan moan bitch bitch"
and finally "OMG Steam is so awesome, it has benefits".

Maybe Steam was so awesome that gamers, once they tried it, found it to be awesome. But I think not. Particularly given this is the pattern for every piece of BS that has come down the pipe since (although the final justification varies).

Fair enough but that's my point though, Steam wasn't awesome and no one really thought it was. Everyone hated Steam at first because it sucked and that opinion didn't change for a long time - friends was constantly down, the CS auth servers were having problems, the HL2 launch fuckin sucked for a lot of people and so on. They slowly came to like it over time as improvements were made. It wasn't a case of cognitive dissonance, it was just the product evolving and finally becoming worthy of praise. The store front improvements made a big difference too, people love sales.

News Comments > Into the Black
13. Re: Into the Black Mar 28, 2015, 09:06 Verno

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 28, 2015, 02:27:
1badmf wrote on Mar 28, 2015, 00:53:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 27, 2015, 21:06:
I'm waiting to see what materializes.

the idea of Trek has always been grand, but i've always found the implementation to be rather bland and uninspiring, with the exception of a few eps here and there. to me there's no surprise that it never lasts - until they get writers and producers that really embrace the inspirational human side of the show, it'll just remain schlocky scifi that most people ignore. that's why i always hated it when enterprise and crew went down the warpath with alien race A, B, or C. it abandoned what made it potentially great in favor of cheap drama.

That's exactly why Babylon 5 is the far superior show.

Preach it brother. Babylon 5 has one of the most satisfying story arcs I've ever seen. They even manage to redeem the awful season 1/Sinclair stuff.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Crafting Mastery Details
3. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Crafting Mastery Details Mar 28, 2015, 08:59 Verno

Re: Guild Wars 2 Demos Coming Mar 6, 2015, 07:53 Jonjonz

This game is so over, logged in after being gone for 2 years, completely deserted.

Silly hats, jumping puzzles, and crappy 8bit graphics just don't fill the bill for most people.

Hmm, I'm sensing a pattern here

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week
21. Re: Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week Mar 28, 2015, 08:39 Verno

Cutter wrote on Mar 27, 2015, 21:49:
I've had a bit of a difficult problem wrapping my head around how the classes play with the way they've changed everything from D&D. Sawyer was saying how this would prevent build problems but I'm seeing it as just the opposite with really gimmicky builds. And trying to manage a party of 6 in real-time doesn't help matters. They really should have went turn-based with this.

I finally settled on an Orlan Paladin and now that I have a full party things are much better, but I really think they've made some bad choices with classes and their whole endurance/hp scheme. I absolutely hate casters so far and how they work and the spells aren't very good either. Low level casters need the ability to cast way more and battles are so fast it's almost pointless casting de/buffs and stuff.

We'll see how things progress but I'm not loving this right now.

Adjust and adapt, you're too used to older systems. Also this is the second time I've seen you complain about real time combat but there are a ton of pause related options you can explore to help with this. Pause on low health, pause on entering combat, etc.

Going into combat in scouting mode to attack first can help too. The engagement system took a little getting used to first but now that I understand it you can really use it to your advantage to protect casters.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2015, 08:50.

15. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 27, 2015, 15:00 Verno

Fair enough. Speaking for myself I don't really mind developers mixing fantastical elements with historical periods or drawing inspiration from them either.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 27, 2015, 14:41 Verno

Necrophob wrote on Mar 27, 2015, 13:31:
My wife wanted me to watch the Kardasians with her, once. Once.

I draw the line at stuff like that haha.

Ok ok you got me, I will watch Storage Wars

13. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 27, 2015, 14:09 Verno

Grasping at straws there though. In the context of fighting in plate armor, no they didn't do a lot of it. Hell in the context of overall conflicts they still haven't done much fighting.  

News Comments > The International Ticket Sales Tomorrow
6. Re: The International Ticket Sales Tomorrow Mar 27, 2015, 13:23 Verno

Angrius Maximis wrote on Mar 27, 2015, 08:39:
Ohh video gaming with a shitty fucking game and some stupid "sports" tournament format. VIDEO GAMING IS NOT A SPORT

LOUD NOISES!

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 27, 2015, 12:48 Verno

Downton Abbey.. can't believe that show lasted 6 seasons.

My girlfriend asked me to watch it with her and after really trying.. I told her after the end of the first season that i'm not watching it anymore.

So she tried to last till season 3.. which concluded in her saying it was a terrible show and is dull as a show can be. I caught her sleeping in the middle of an episode in mid afternoon. Seems like that's all the show was good for.

"Oh Mr. Snippens fell down the stairs and injured his back. Oh woe is upon us, don't let the masters of the house find out!! that would be end of his tenor at the estate!" - Every fucking issue in downton abbey.

Most female targeted TV is just chicks being catty and inane, circular drama to be honest. Trying to watch a show on ABC just puts me to sleep. I make some concessions for my GF because that's what you do in a relationship but its boring as hell watching TV with her. I did end up liking that show called The Bachelor, its a bunch of hot ditsy women competing for the attention of one guy who gets to mack on them all and take his pick. What's not to like?

6. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 27, 2015, 11:05 Verno

I forgot to add earlier, particularly like this quote:

But donít get me wrong, itís undeniable true that the gaming environment has been a boys club for a long time and I see no reason at all not to invite women to game either. I think this is an admirable goal. Seeing that media is infinite and developers can expand on it infinitely Iím convinced the tactics by which game diversity is achieved are very wrong. I say this because giving women the games they like should not result in taking away or moderating the games the boys like. I think itís cheap and weak to attack existing franchises, shame them in what they are doing and force through guilt to change their content. Feminism has shown what women can do, that they are strong and no less than men, so why donít they prove it by coming up with their own franchises? Weíve seen this happen in television and it worked, Sex and the City has proven this.

4. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 Verno

There are plenty of social justice trolls as well though, many of whom get into some pretty dubious shit, that's what I hate about that argument. It's better to just say the internet is filled with trolls and you can't expect everyone to change everything around to suit your personal preferences and politics then try to justify it with "well look a troll said this!".

Anyways I think what he said was just common sense and its sad that it even needs to be laid out. The answer to content you don't like is to create or fund other content that you do. Anything else is just trying to force change on others.

News Comments > Dirty Bomb Beta Returns; Splash Damage Pulls Away from the Brink
7. Re: Dirty Bomb Beta Returns; Splash Damage Pulls Away from the Brink Mar 27, 2015, 10:50 Verno

Cutter wrote on Mar 27, 2015, 09:53:
Plus the design was a mess. They didn't know if they wanted the game to be run and gun of TF. Most of the maps came down to chokepoint fights which sucked.

Agreed. I wanted wide open levels with a lot of opportunity for the parkour, something more along the lines of a smaller scale Tribes style sort of floatiness. Instead the map design sucked, it was very tight and the parkour felt kinda worthless most of the time.

I don't think the launch issues were the games real problem, it had a lack of identity and that bizarre story MP stuff that no one liked.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Released
77. Re: Pillars of Eternity Released Mar 27, 2015, 09:22 Verno

Too many good games out at once, gonna have to ignore Witcher 3 in May for sure.  

16900 Comments. 845 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo