Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 14971 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
13. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 21, 2013, 09:15 Verno

I'm watching this one video where Kinect is signing people into others accounts by accident, holy fuck that's awful. They need to fix that shit.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
11. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 21, 2013, 08:29 Verno

Redmask wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 22:44:
The Xbox One livestreams were not favorable at all. Kinect fails so often that it's ridiculous, the people from Polygon and Verge both get visibly annoyed and upset with it. They say the OS is clunky to use with a controller, they focused too much on Kinect which has major problems recognizing things consistently again. Snap mode seems tiny and pointless. Kinect crashes multiple times, Internet Explorer takes minutes to load at times and much other fun stuff in there. Does anyone legitimately want to interact with their console primarily through voice? It seems like they made some very strange choices. One of the editors says to just buy a PC at one point haha.

It's funny how divorced their experiences we see are with their actual review scores. Polygon got $750,000 from Microsoft for their "documentary" for example. Hmm.

Holy crap, some of that footage is pretty damning for Kinect. I really don't like the idea of an OS designed around voice use for a console, many people simply aren't in a situation to talk to their console for extended periods of time. A console should be designed around traditional input devices first, everything else second.

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Testing Begins
20. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Testing Begins Nov 20, 2013, 15:12 Verno

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 14:25:
Whine, bitch, complain: There's no innovation in the industry!!!elevetyone1111!
Whine, bitch, moan, complain: They tried to do something different.

New ideas can be bad ideas. As for innovation I don't know that people ever wanted a lot of innovation applied to Diablo 3, ARPGs are a very finicky subgenre. I know I could have lived without an auction house and crafting.

I think Diablo 3 had a lot of positive qualities but I don't really count innovation or ambition amongst them.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
36. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 20, 2013, 13:57 Verno

I can't really tell the difference between the PC and PS4 versions from 9 feet away to be honest but hey its a great game for any platform. I think they did a good job porting it, I didn't really notice any frame spiking outside of the in-engine cutscenes.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 20, 2013, 13:49 Verno

Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 11:50:
Hey, as long as they're hot...

Most of them just do the duck face thing and use a push up bra, I'm never convinced by selfies

11. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Testing Begins Nov 20, 2013, 13:30 Verno

I agree that you can't really write off a company over one failure. I have an open mind about Blizzard but its pretty easy to see why others don't when many of the problems they face were easily avoidable.  

News Comments > Black Mesa Goes Commercial
20. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 13:29 Verno

Also that whole Steam thing he keeps using, darn those Valve guys never give us anything!  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 20, 2013, 13:28 Verno

Thundr alt account spotted.  

6. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Testing Begins Nov 20, 2013, 12:46 Verno

They aren't providing people a charity, people pay for the products and its in their best interests to improve them and meet peoples expectations.

People bashed Diablo 3 because it was not only a letdown but a completely avoidable one. They ignored feedback at several steps on the way to release and the result is their own fault.

I think Diablo 3 had many great qualities and we have discussed them in the past already. I also think that Blizzard has something to prove with the next iteration because they really let consumers down.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2013, 12:37 Verno

I don't know, the new PSN is pretty good. Voice chat, parties, video broadcasting, etc is all there and works well. I don't really see Microsoft having a lead there anymore. I think Metro is probably best fit on a console type device and so they will have OS superiority but they're a software company so its to be expected. In the end though its games that I'm there for and both companies don't have much right now. That said I have a lot more faith in Sony to bring quality first party titles to market than Microsoft who essentially ended last gen like a weak fart.  

32. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 20, 2013, 12:33 Verno

Just don't burn yourself out on the side stuff, the game is pretty long so always vary things up. I usually do an hour of goofing around and then at least one mission, keeps it balanced. If you do all of the side stuff too early you will be completely overpowered and the rest of the game will be boring.  

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2013, 12:20 Verno

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 12:00:
To me that is good voice recognition.

Not for a living room STB it isn't. People get annoyed with remote controls and those have 100% accuracy most of the time.

Anyways the take home from most of the reviews I read is that they like the OS but it doesn't do anything else to rise above the PS4 and its price tag and lesser specs makes it the inferior product. Hopefully they drop the price inside of a year and work on improving their first party line ups.

News Comments > Black Mesa Goes Commercial
11. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 11:14 Verno

Cutter wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 10:53:
Whilst super for them, it means sweet FA to me and many others who really wanted to see HL3 instead of a remake of a 15 year old game we can all play blindfolded made with an outdated engine - and they're charging for it. Knock yourself out however.

These guys were never making Half-Life 3, these things exist separately. I can't see myself buying this either but the two aren't really connected in any meaningful way.

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2013, 10:34 Verno

On a more practical note, Kinect represents the $100 difference in price between Xbox One and PlayStation 4 this holiday. It's of course Microsoft's prerogative to go "all-in" on Kinect, but we'd sure prefer to choose at retail. Waking the console (and television) by voice is magical, and the speed at which you can jump between apps using voice is very impressive, but every false positive or unrecognized command had us reaching for the controller. Sadly, both occur every time we use the console, even after weeks of testing.

That's disconcerting, I thought good voice recognition would have been nailed at least.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 20, 2013, 09:22 Verno

Cutter wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 21:24:
Why is it a poor example? I've never understood this pig-headed no-negotiation bullshit. If I'm ever taken captive your fuckin' A I want my government to negotiate. Want to gamble with someone elses life that's their business. Just don't do it with mine.

It's a poor example because CryptoLocker is an annoying piece of shit malware and we really don't want to encourage more of it, not a life threatening hostage situation. Do you negotiate with the guy who robbed your apartment and has your TV? Sheesh.

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 20, 2013, 08:49 Verno

The side stuff is balanced fairly well, there is a ton of it but you can safely ignore what you don't like for the most part and they give you ship plans and whatnot as rewards which is nice. I've dunked quite a bit of time into the PS4 version and it's still very fun, best AC game for sure. I recommend people mix it up, do some side stuff then do some missions, take a fort, whatever just keep it interesting. If you start trying to 100% the collectibles on a first play you'll just drive yourself nuts.

The multiplayer is largely the same as the older games along with a creat a mode addition, fun but very unforgiving for new players.

36. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 19, 2013, 15:48 Verno

The lightbar is pretty harmless but also ultimately useless, I wish they just let you toggle it off.

The touchpad could be useful but no one has really done anything with it yet. It controls the map in AC4 but Ubisoft did a piss poor job of implementing it, they basically just emulated analog stick movement which makes it laggy and annoying. It's also weird to take your hands off the controls to use it in swipes. The pushable zones on it are pretty solid though and I really like having extra buttons. It's basically just my "map" button and that's fine.

32. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 19, 2013, 15:20 Verno

The streaming apps are a bit buggy at the moment, Amazon froze last night and I had to force quit it with the hold PS button thing.

I'm not going to bother with an extended warranty personally, they rarely pay off for me.

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers add ShadowPlay Beta
11. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers add ShadowPlay Beta Nov 19, 2013, 13:21 Verno

DG wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 12:32:
I'll admit shadowplay is an attractive feature that might well affect my next upgrade, even though I've never uploaded to youtube or anything.

I never really delved into broadcasting much but it's quite fun showing off little clips of games to buddies and streaming stuff for people on forums. The PS4 has a little integrated Share button and even without Youtube publish options in yet I've still used it a fair bit.

Shadowplay is a bit weird though, I've had problems with it not recording certain things and I'm not sure it will touch OpenGL apps at all.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2013, 11:07 Verno

InBlack wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 10:55:
Yeah I too love to ride my high horse and spit all over the people who dare to have an opinion, one way or the other.

I don't really see how his comment could be construed that way. I don't really identify with most women's issues but I think his point that many people try to suppress the discussion of them is valid. You see a lot of "derp derp social/gender/etc justice warriors!" fluff from people who obviously have opposition opinions on the subject and are just trying to head off any points someone else could make, it's pretty transparent.

I wish the discourse was less about blaming and more about trying to figure out all the shit we don't really know.

I think there's room for both There are some situations where gender "politics" are pretty unbalanced and I think those are fights worth having. These days many men are facing unfair gender stereotypes and situations for example.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2013, 11:15.

14971 Comments. 749 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo