Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 14971 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
76. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2013, 09:27 Verno

gray wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 08:34:
The US just sounds like a police state these days. I've been stopped by cops once in 20 years and that was for speeding when I was 19. No checkpoints, no 'surveys'. WTH is that with picking up kids from school, you can't wander in and take them out anytime of the day? I think I'd leave the country.

At my daughters school there were a few morons who would tear ass into the parking lot, try to park right beside the doors and do other stupid shit. Kids were walking between cars because they were everywhere, not parked properly, lined up at the curb and so on. They made everyone park on the road near the school instead of at the school itself for safety reasons because there were a few close calls. This wouldn't be a big deal but it makes crazy long lines when everyone gets off work, obstructs traffic and other shit. So they probably are just trying to keep it orderly which is fine. Of course it could also just be the constantly overreaching teachers and school boards these days. I'm so tired of getting school notices about new restrictions, things kids cant bring into school and so on.

The part where I get pissed off is when the dad walks on foot into the school and is told that he can't take his kids because he "skipped the line". That's just some power tripping fucking idiot. The guard is lucky he didn't end up in the hospital, you do not come between a parent and their children unless the situation is dire or abusive.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
43. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 22, 2013, 09:08 Verno

Orogogus wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 00:26:

I like batteries better, personally, and I count fancy charging solutions as a minus. My TV's a little far from the couch, so whenever a charging controller did run out of power then I just couldn't play. If I had the discipline to walk it back to the console after every session I wouldn't have the problem, but there you go. I always have rechargeable batteries ready, though. Situation not universally applicable.

This used to be my situation until my girlfriend picked up a power bar with some USB plugs on it for $30. Now we use that sucker for charging everything from tablets to game controllers. I don't miss batteries at all anymore.

It's a shame we haven't seen any wireless charging efforts from any of the big gaming companies yet, I love that shit on my smartphone.

I also realize there were manufacturing/design flaws with the original 360. Sorry, to hear you had three fail and I had zero fail. Does that somehow make my situation not worth mentioning?

You were a very lucky outlier, most people went through multiple systems. I personally went through 4 and the only reason they stopped was because I sold my 360 and went PS3. Moderate use, well cooled in an open entertainment stand and so on.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
49. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 22, 2013, 09:05 Verno

Creston wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 02:02:
I'm absolutely LOVING Black Flag. Even the assassin bits are good, Havana was beautiful and just fun to explore, but the sea stuff is so fucking awesome. The sheer size of Spanish Galleons is staggering, and that you can just jump off your own ship and board one across the masts etc is something that needs to be seen to be believed just how cool it is.

Best AC game yet, imo. It even beats out AC2, and I absolutely love AC2.

Yeah they really did well, I have some complaints about the late game balance and the old creaky bits from previous games (tailing/eavesdrop missions are NEVER fun) but overall they knocked it out of the park.

News Comments > Black Mesa Goes Commercial
76. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 22, 2013, 09:00 Verno

Wesp5 wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 16:28:
Here we disagree. I fear that by that time many gamers don't even care about HL anymore! Look what happened to DNF, that's what I fear...

You quote sniped the hell out of that. I don't think Valve really cares one way or the other, they have enough money not to worry about the viability of the franchise so long as their core market is served. They use their properties as vehicles to forward their platform. Given that you aren't a developer or have any vested financial interest in the company I'm not sure why you do either. Who gives a shit what console FPS gamers care about Half-Life? Time marches on for everything, people weren't going to appreciate Half-Life forever and going back to play it quite a few mechanics are indeed dated but the nostalgia is usually enough to override that. All I care about is eventually playing the game and I'd prefer it be on Valve's timetable instead of yours given your strange opinions on their other games.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 22, 2013, 08:39 Verno

Fletch wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 00:15:
I've been using Winamp forever. Sad to see it go, and even sadder to see it go to Microsoft. Is it possible to consolize an MP3 player?

Xbox Music.

News Comments > RAGE Free Weekend
33. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 08:39 Verno

Rage was the game that showed me ids oftware is no longer capable of competing with modern development houses. It had probably been apparent to others for awhile but I was hopeful they would turn it around with Rage and it was just a let down in so many ways. Like someone else said it feels like they hadn't even played other games for the past 10 years and looked up demo reels on Youtube and tried to emulate the basest elements of those games.  

29. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 15:57 Verno

Know your rights and exercise them but also understand that cops are human beings too. Most interactions I've had with police have been friendly because that's how I act, like they're another person just doing a job instead of some authoritarian figure out to get me. By all means if some cop is out of line then make sure he understands you know your rights. But if you get pulled over, refuse to talk and are acting like a weirdo with some printoff card from the internet then I wouldn't be surprised if that causes more problems for you than it helps.  

News Comments > DayZ Gameplay Trailer
48. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 21, 2013, 15:37 Verno

Yeah wow that needs to be dialed down, he barely moves and the entire screen looks like a vaseline smeared mess.  

65. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 21, 2013, 15:12 Verno

Wesp5 wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 14:45:
Sepharo wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 13:53:
Also if you don't think Portal and Portal 2 were AAA single player games (assuming you were referring to them when you said "small riddle games") then you're just wrong and few will agree with you.

Don't get me wrong, Portal and Portal 2 were great games, but just compare playtime, levels, variety, enemies, scripting with HL and HL2 and you have to admit that they are not in the same league whatsoever!

That's because you're comparing unlike things just because the same company made them. "Man how come Final Fantasy has more playtime than Tomb Raider?! WTF SQUARE"

The whole "Valve doesn't make anything anymore and even when they do its not really theirs if its not Half-Life 3" is transparent and pointless. Look we all want Half-Life 3 but Valve can afford to take 10 years to make it and they just might do that. Harping on their other games origin is just silly. I don't care if Gabe bought his game idea at the supermarket and sold the original designers into slavery (ok that would be bad), what matters is the end result.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
19. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 21, 2013, 14:49 Verno

Seeing the kernel text and lists of libraries was pretty much confirmation to me. Not like they were going back to the drawing board at that point. Running games under Wine can have minor to major problems related to performance and compatibility, it is not really comparable to native support IMO and I say that as someone who spent a lot of time doing it.  

17. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 21, 2013, 14:25 Verno

Nah I think he's right, I read about it several months ago when people leaking the SDK specs including dumps with the kernel symbols and other stuff.

Running stuff in Wine can be a PITA, not really comparable IMO. Linux gaming is growing but is still held back by the lack of ported XDK/DirectX more than anything else. Hopefully Valve can break that cycle.

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 21, 2013, 13:18 Verno

Sony didn't have as many deaths from YLOD as the Xbox 360 man, not even in the same league. The 360 failures became so ubiquitous that my friggin 52 year old mail man was knowledgeable on the subject. There was some articles about how the launch PS3s used a lead free solder that was prone to causing failures with the GPU though. It was a thing but I still know a ton of people with launch PS3s that work and I don't know a soul with a launch 360 that hasn't been replaced.

PS4 doesn't have standby/resume mode yet. And in terms of efficiency, Xbox One controller can sync with Kinect so they automatically go into standby mode if you are not holding it. It lasts at least five times as long as PS4 controller, which I say is phenomenal.

It has standby and resume support, what it lacks is per game suspend which is coming in a future update. I would ding them for this but Microsoft has just as many missing features at launch in other areas. I find it difficult to believe the Xbox One controller can do 40 hours per battery charge too, the PS4 controller is rated at between 8-10 hours full charge to drained. The PS4 controller is only a minor annoyance for me because I was so used to the Dual Shock 3 doing 20-30 hours with that huge battery it had. I wish it was longer but realistically it's not going to affect real world usage much, particularly when most households will have 2 controllers.

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 2013, 13:25.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 12:55 Verno

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 12:52:

Then there's the father that was arrested for picking up his kids on foot.. Apologies if posted before.

Hahah what the hell is wrong with humanity? That is the dumbest fucking thing I've read about in awhile, there must be something else to that we don't know.

15. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 21, 2013, 12:42 Verno

Redmask linked a bunch below, the IGN video I was watching at home and I'm at work now so you'll have to dig it up on your own.  

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 21, 2013, 11:38 Verno

ForgedReality wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 11:23:
Just a little FYI:

how-to-update-your-xbox-one-without-connecting-to-xbox-live

Microsoft already took those down, they don't want people doing it apparently though it begs the question why offer it in the first place then?

But it draws less power! At savings of around 8 dollars per year, you'll have earned that extra $100 back in no time flat! (*)

(*) No time flat equals 12.5 years.

It draws less power at load but more at idle and standby so it pretty much evens out.

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 21, 2013, 10:57 Verno

John wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 10:48:
Does the new Xbox also have one of those power bricks like the old ones?

It has a huge power brick, yes.

50. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 21, 2013, 10:33 Verno

Nothing over 5 hours playtime? Ok now you're just being silly. I think I got more value out of the L4D franchise than I have several other games combined. Playing armchair quarterback with development after the fact is a past time we all enjoy but I think we would not see many of these games without Valve and I doubt anyone really gives a shit if it was their original idea or not. They brought it to market and that's what matters. The box has their name on it, it is their game. This goes both ways too, I think Battlefield would be a completely unplayable debacle and Dice would have gone out of business without EA for example.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2013, 10:31 Verno

I guess saying happy birthday sounds kind of hollow when you're losing a family member so best wishes and sorry for your loss.  

42. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 21, 2013, 09:56 Verno

PHJF wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 07:58:
I don't think anyone on the planet was stupid enough to think Ryse was going to be a good game.

Seriously. It started off as a Kinect exclusive game, it was never going to end well.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
9. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 21, 2013, 09:55 Verno

Right Steve Ballmer. Well if we're all so trusting in our little holding hands under the rainbow world then how about you trust me with your wallet for awhile? Nothing to worry about!  

14971 Comments. 749 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo