Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 17228 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2015, 10:00 Verno

I'm actually going to take a crack at your chili on the weekend since we're supposed to get another foot of snow here. I want to try weapons grade but my girlfriend doesn't have my tolerance for hot food so we're going to do a few jalapenos and some chipoltle as a compromise. She reminded me to pick up some pitas on the way home and we can use the chili leftovers in wraps.  

Playing: Dota 2 Reborn, The Witcher 3, Super Metroid
Watching: Galaxy Quest, True Detective S2, Dark Matter
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Feb 6, 2015, 09:42 Verno

2 hours to learn a game isn't much of a time investment and it really depends on the genre. It is really hard to make a game with depth if any user can "learn" it in 20 minutes. The best games are smart about how they unfold mechanics gradually over time.  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Rogue Eye Tracking
2. Re: Assassin's Creed Rogue Eye Tracking Feb 6, 2015, 09:39 Verno

How about you guys just focus on shipping the game in a decent state?  

News Comments > etc., etc.
72. Re: etc., etc. Feb 6, 2015, 09:09 Verno

The line break after every sentence and overall syntax look awfully similar to a user already on my ignore list.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
16. Re: Game Reviews Feb 5, 2015, 12:57 Verno

Cutter wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 15:50:
DAI was good, not great. It also depends on what you expect and want out of a CRPG. I didn't care for the combat and classes - I'm just too old school D&D in that regard. I did enjoy the story and some of the side quests - beyond the grindy fetch filler. I enjoyed the world itself immensely. It's a wonderful, well designed, very beautiful place to explore and I still haven't seen most of it. A few zones I skipped entirely on my first playthrough.

Just finished another run of SR:D and loved it. I am totes down for HK. DOS I like, but I agree it's not great, just decent. W2 wasn't bad but it's been the biggest let down so far, it's pretty meh. All I can say is PoE better be effing good seeing as it's coming in a year late.

I think most people generally agreed DA:I was a good but flawed game. The press went kinda nuts because there wasn't much else last year, it was a disappointing year for games overall. It's biggest flaw is just sharing the name and universe from Dragon Age, they need to decide on a design direction and stick with it instead of constantly pulling the rug out from under fans.

I thought Wasteland 2 was still pretty decent. It was a bit more simplistic than I would've liked but definitely delivered in the content department. My biggest beef was how buggy it was but they've sorted most of it now thankfully.

53. Re: etc., etc. Feb 5, 2015, 12:45 Verno

Prez wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 12:41:
You can argue about whether you think Sarkeesian is a noble crusader or a phoney attention-whoring hack (I choose the latter myself but I am done arguing) and that's all well and good, but to claim that she is a humanist? Utterly ridiculous. She is a man-hating feminazi. Period.

100% agreed my friend, I had to guffaw at the headline as I figured it was a troll Onion link from one of our resident SJWs.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 5, 2015, 11:32 Verno

Yeah he should just setup a Patreon account or something. I don't whitelist anything anymore, the only times I've ever had a malware issue were related to advertisements from a site I whitelisted.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
5. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 5, 2015, 10:28 Verno

I'll wait and see how the game is first  

News Comments > South Park: The Stick of Truth DLC "Unlikely"
1. Re: South Park: The Stick of Truth DLC Feb 5, 2015, 09:51 Verno

Damned shame, by far one of the best games I played last year and one of the few where I actually wanted DLC.  

49. Re: removed Feb 5, 2015, 08:45 Verno

Cutter wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 22:59:
* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Feb 5, 2015, 07:20.

I saw this before it got nuked and you should be ashamed of yourself Cutter. One of the most repugnant comments I've seen on this site.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 5, 2015, 08:45 Verno

Cutter wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 19:08:
Who were Ulbricht's lawyers? Remind me to never hire those guys. Wow, did he ever make a mistake hiring them. That was their defense strategy? A few character witnesses saying what a nice guy he is - in spite of paying 650k to have some people murdered?

Since you obviously haven't read up on it, the government case against him is overwhelming and compelling in every aspect. His lawyer is doing the best he can but there's only so much you can do when your client provides a mountain of evidence to convict him.

News Comments > Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics
35. Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 16:37 Verno

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 16:16:
SteamOS still doesn't let you play your Origin games or the non Steam games so it is kind of locked in that regards.

It's more accurate to say that is a Linux problem and there is nothing stopping users from running Origin & games through Wine for example if they want. SteamOS is not locked like a console platform, you can do whatever you want with it. It might not meet your expectations based on your previous platform but the ability is there. That is entirely different than consoles.

I agree though that many gamers just want the platform that runs the most games and that SteamOS needs a "hook"

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2015, 16:29 Verno

Cutter wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 16:08:
Sell it for a dollar. It's legal and no tax problems. It's not complicated, I've done it myself. People do it all the time.

Uh no, you should call the CRA and ask them about that though I suggest you do it on a no names basis so you don't get yourself in trouble. What people have gotten away with and what is defined by the tax act are two very different things. You can't just sell an asset willy nilly at below fair market value to a non-arms length party, the income tax act definitions on this are like a series of branching tentacles. Dodging capital gains is not something the CRA appreciates. No one cares if you sell a 20 year old truck for $1 but if its a $57k vehicle you can bet the province wants its HST and the feds want to know if theres capital gains.

It is actually way easier to just gift cash instead of the truck. Money has no fair market value, it has face value. He's already paid taxes on the income so the kid probably wouldn't be subject to tax again. Besides, this is in the US with all different set of problems, I'm just giving you the Canadian version because I know you are a Canuck Brady should just give him the value of the truck and then he can do whatever he wants with it.

And no, he didn't deserve MVP. Not saying the kid did for one key play either but let's face it, had he not made that play it would probably be Lynch or Wilson's truck right now.

Did you look at Brady's stats? Seems like MVP material to me. I think Edelmen had some really heads up plays but its hard to argue with Brady's crazy stats.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2015, 16:34.

News Comments > Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics
33. Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 15:55 Verno

SteamOS isn't a closed system though is the problem with that argument. You can pretty much install whatever you want, its just Linux with a different front end. I have a little SteamOS box that runs games, my emulators and my HTPC shit for example. On my console I can only install whatever Sony says is ok. A world of difference there.

If people like Windows then hey whatever, use Windows. Personally I find I use very little Windows specific software and I like playing some genres on the TV so I have a little SteamOS box that plays whatever it can natively and streams the rest. Works very well.

8. Re: Game Reviews Feb 4, 2015, 13:24 Verno

descender wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 13:20:
Combat is mindless

/boggle. I can't fathom reviewers that obviously play on easy and then complain the game was too easy.

The author says he played on Nightmare with Friendly Fire on. He played a Knight-Enchanter though.

DA:I is a solid 7/10, maybe 8/10 game IMO. It has many flaws that I'd like to see rectified in future installments. I feel like they got the basic formula down here but they need to refine it. More depth in quest, less quantity. A few less zones with more to do. Go back to tactical combat, the action side of things was ultimately boring.

3. Re: Game Reviews Feb 4, 2015, 13:04 Verno

Axis wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 12:38:
Finally the first DA:I review that was spot on. Too many kiddies wow'd by glam and bling who follow the hype trail and are too afraid to admit they paid too much for a sub-par experience.

Or possibly people were just happy with the game. It's a solid experience that doesn't live up to DA:O but comes nowhere near plumbing the depths that was DA2. I actually enjoyed it more than Divinity: Original Sin which was hampered by poor writing, no real characterization and a meaningless plot.

The author makes some good points about the side quest quality but ultimately I feel like the game delivered on the story side of things and its main quest is pretty good. The combat on the other hand isn't very well executed, I much preferred the combat in Divinity: Original Sin. I felt like DA:I was an above average but not great RPG. Bioware really needs to ditch the branching storylines concept, it has yet to play out very well and the payoff for doing it well is rarely worth the development investment. I think they also need to decide if they're going to make pure RPGs or Action games going forward, this hybridization isn't working out well. It would be nice for them to remember that there are options other than combat for resolving quests too.

Holding out hope for Pillars of Eternity.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2015, 13:15.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2015, 12:57 Verno

Cutter wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 11:55:
We don't have Papa Johns here so I've never tried their pizza. It's ok as I prefer classic Neopolitan pizza anyway.

And I hope Brady isn't just talking shit to save face here. I don't understand how he has to look into this. Just sign it over and give the kid the keys. How hard is that?

There can be tax implications for gifting assets to non-family members, it can get complicated in both the US and Canada. You generally have to run it by an accountant first to make sure you're not handing the person a big headache and tax bill (guy is a rookie, might not be able to afford it). A huge number of NFL players live check to check, watch ESPN 30 for 30: Going Broke sometime. Brady could also just be planning on keeping the truck and giving the guy cash instead or something, with the same caveats as above.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 4, 2015, 10:47 Verno

I don't see Ross beating the rap with that defense, the prosecution had him nailed on pretty much everything. His few character witnesses saying what a nice guy he was are offset by his attempts to hire hitmen.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
22. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 4, 2015, 09:32 Verno

Did you read the article? The criteria for being on the whitelist are "advertisements must be transparent about being ads, must be appropriate to the site they’re being served on, and must not distort or disrupt the page content, among other criteria." Presumably if you saw an ad that was that obnoxious it would be removed from the whitelist.

The problem with that argument is that ads aren't just served by a single source and partner networks do a poor job of policing content. It also counts on Eyeo GmbH to maintain it when they have a financial incentive not to. So far that's been fine but who knows, ownership changes and so do policies. A whitelist doesn't make much sense but some of these companies know that most users who install Adblock Plus will never visit the configuration without help from a friend.

News Comments > Gearbox on Homeworld: Cataclysm
16. Re: Gearbox on Homeworld: Cataclysm Feb 4, 2015, 09:26 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 18:24:
Oh please, if they really wanted they could just literally remake it. They already have working Homeworld 1 in their fancy engine, and Cataclysm just expanded on that anyway.

You make it sound like that's an easy thing done in no time. They are probably working on a new Homeworld game behind the scenes and these are just released to help build interest in that direction while helping offset the cost of the IP. Rebuilding Cataclysm without the source code wouldn't be a picnic either.

17228 Comments. 862 pages. Viewing page 37.
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo