Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 17505 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2015, 11:08 Verno

Black Sails is pretty fun in the same way that Banshee is for me, very visceral and over the top.  
Playing: Dark Souls 2: Scholars of the First Sin
Watching: Mr. Robot
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Interviews
13. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 26, 2015, 11:02 Verno

Cutter wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 10:15:
Valve's 'perfect hiring' hierarchy has 'hidden management' clique like high school

Not exactly a reliable source considering they shuttered her project and she went on noisily about things in a very unprofessional way.

The only reason Valve succeeds is GabeN had the foresight to introduce a digital distribution platform first.

This ignores the fact that they have several other successful games and revenue streams. Valve doesn't just keep lucking into success, there is definitely something to their approach. Of course it has very obvious downsides as well like a lack of identity and constantly dropping projects half finished almost like Google.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2015, 09:58 Verno

Yeah I tend to agree on Better Call Saul, its surpassed all of my expectations. I wasn't sure Bob Odenkirk would be as compelling to watch as Cranston but hes really bringing it.

I am watching The Jinx on your recommendation, I didn't really know anything about the story going into it and I'm purposely avoiding google as well. I'm on the third episode and its long since departed real life is stranger than fiction territory to the point where I'm wondering if Durst is a martian.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 26, 2015, 08:52 Verno

The email with Gabe is pretty interesting, hes very self aware as a manager in a way that many are not. His comment about not being a single point of failure for the company is important too, hes not getting any younger.  

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline DRM Complaints
45. Re: Battlefield Hardline DRM Complaints Mar 25, 2015, 15:52 Verno

I'm not sure why you're quoting me there but ok. I still don't see the purpose of a hardware hash when it is trivial to detect unique IP logins in X time period and restrict potential "account sharing" that way. That is what most online services related to gaming have transitioned to, having seen hardware hashes fail due to PR problems and the enthusiast market niche being loud.  

43. Re: Battlefield Hardline DRM Complaints Mar 25, 2015, 14:47 Verno

XP-Cagey wrote on Mar 25, 2015, 14:14:
The extra layer of DRM is stupid, but this is an attempt at allowing offline play after "always on" bit them in the ass for games like SimCity.

Offline play of what exactly? The single player campaign? I mean seriously, this is a lot of effort to protect the terrible singleplayer in Battlefield games. I don't have any problem understanding what EAs perspective is here, it just seems really dumb is all.

Once you've tied the product into your online service and a whole separate authentication layer you don't really need to do silly stuff like this for what is largely a MP experience.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Mar 25, 2015, 14:23 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Mar 25, 2015, 14:08:
Julio wrote on Mar 25, 2015, 10:51:
Arcades were fantastic in the pre-1995 era. Sadly not as useful anymore due to not delivering enough value per dollar as consoles became better.

Kind of like movie theaters vs. your home theater set up.

I don't know, I actually still enjoy the theater and chicks love going out to the show so

I love my setup at home but it doesn't beat seeing something at the IMAX or just going out with another couple to shake up the routine.

Even though you go out to the show to be quiet and watch something it still feels like a social experience for some reason, usually because there is other activities that accompany it like dinner and drinks. Whereas with arcades I was always so engrossed in the games I rarely did anything else.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 25, 2015, 13:32 Verno

Yes, and then a defense of necessity requires you to go to court because you get fined for speeding even though it was the correct thing to do. And that 1 second can make all the difference between life and death. I'm all for driverless cars as soon as we can get them so that ALL vehicles can safely speed along without accidents because of tailgating idiots - which is 99% of accidents - use their indicators properly, etc. This on the other hand is a bad idea for several reasons.

I don't see any reasons against it there, there are other established assisted driving standards like cruise control so legality won't be an issue and would've been long since researched by the company anyway, it wouldn't even make it to this stage if that was a valid concern. It's a fine idea and the implementation won't be a problem legally or in practice, it is essentially cruise control that reads posted speed limits. You can override it at will by simply pushing the gas and if that's something that takes too long to accomplish then most driving would be "illegal" by those standards.

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 2015, 13:47.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 25, 2015, 11:11 Verno

Cutter wrote on Mar 25, 2015, 09:06:
That'd be cool. It'd lead to all kinds of futuristic TRON type clothing.

And your car forcing you to slow down? Whatever there's a situation that calls for you to speed up to avoid a hazard? Thanks but no thanks. Not unless they're going to drastically increase speed limits in the process. I can see the inevitable lawsuits now, as well as the massive hit to the economy.

Read the article. It's an entirely optional system that reads speed limit signs with a camera, drivers have to specifically engage it to use it and can override it at any time by just pushing on the accelerator a little more.

The real question is what will highway patrol do for revenue in the future.

23. Re: Battlefield Hardline DRM Complaints Mar 25, 2015, 10:50 Verno

DA:I uses Denuvo on the executable, its been cracked anyway though. No activation related DRM on DA:I that I'm aware of. I don't own Hardline anyway so I don't care more to investigate, it just seems odd they would bother since the game is already heavily tied to both Origin and Battlelog. Kind of pointless to add further DRM when you can just limit account logins on the server side.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2015, 10:20 Verno

Cutter wrote on Mar 25, 2015, 09:16:
Even though I haven't got an email notice yet my key was ready on the PoE backer site. I went with GoG even though Steam is doing pre-loads - no DRM thank you. The game is only 6 gigs anyway and doesn't unlock until 9AM PST tomorrow, so no big whoop.

The game is 14GB according to its minimum requirements and my Steam preload is 18GB, I assume it includes some updates/extra assets. Just a FYI for any potential buyers on size requirements, definitely not 6GB.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 25, 2015, 10:18 Verno

Sony and Microsoft use an encrypted filesystem which makes it a pain in the ass to do anything with externals unless you format the whole thing to accommodate them cheaping out on hard drive space. I have a 5TB external I would love to use for these purposes but I'm not dedicating the entire thing to just video games, its also a time machine target for my GFs macbook and etc.  

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Jaws of Hakkon DLC Released
25. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Jaws of Hakkon DLC Released Mar 25, 2015, 09:58 Verno

Cutter wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 20:41:
Vall Forran wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 20:25:
Redmask wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 19:28:
Cutter wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 17:41:
Wtf? I bought the deluxe edition and I see now that it didn't include any forthcoming DLC. Fucking EA, man.

You purchased something without having any idea of what it was? I try not to defend EA as a matter of course but this seems like a bad idea.

Hahaha! Cutter got trolled by EA. No wonder he's always pissed off!

Always pissed off? Troll harder. I'm only pissed off when there's cause to be - like any normal person. Or people start shit when there's no reason to. You either don't read my posts are simply trying to pick a fight for sport. Grow up.

Nah they've got a point here, you should at least read the description of what you're buying before you buy it.

4. Re: Battlefield Hardline DRM Complaints Mar 25, 2015, 09:31 Verno

This seems bizarre, why would they bother with any DRM when its all hooked into Origin and BL?  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 25, 2015, 08:56 Verno

Suspend/Resume looks great and much faster than I thought. Interesting to see how it works with singleplayer games that have multiple connectivity like Bloodborne.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
11. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 24, 2015, 16:15 Verno

Cutter wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 15:53:
If Oregon already has the infrastucture why do they need Google? They're just forgoing easy tax revenues by giving into Google. Muni broadband is the way to go.

They don't have the infrastructure, that's kind of the point of trying to attract Google to the area. Having some utility poles is not "having infrastructure" in terms of offering fiber to businesses and end consumers LOL. Many municipalities don't have the expertise or money to afford the capital costs involved, let alone labor and maintenance, sales, support, contractual bullshit with content companies on the TV side, future planning and so on.

Despite what buzzword news says about it, municipal broadband is not a panacea. What Google provides vs what they ask for is very reasonable. For most communities municipal broadband is something they can't afford and probably don't want after they find out what's really involved. It only works in very specific circumstances like if there is a single power company that is also owned by the municipality. Rural areas are another place where it makes sense but they are usually subsidized by the government anyway.

This comment was edited on Mar 24, 2015, 16:29.

9. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Jaws of Hakkon DLC Released Mar 24, 2015, 14:53 Verno

Flatline wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 14:51:
Verno wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 14:47:
Hmm I don't know Lito, they didn't ultimate edition DA2 or Mass Effect 2/3 for that matter. It's weird, correct me if I'm wrong but they seemed to have stopped bundling Bioware DLC. They did bundle up Mass Effect into a trilogy but IIRC ME2 and ME3 are without DLC included. I suspect EA makes more money on the DLC separately so they keep doing it that way on purpose.

It makes sense. You discount the game down to 20 bucks or 10 bucks or whatever and people pick it up cheap... then they spend 30 dollars on all the full priced DLC and bring an otherwise bargain game almost up to the cost of a new price point.

Yeah exactly. They do the same thing with BF4. Sell it for $10 once in awhile then sell Premium for $40+. I wouldn't hold my breath for future ultimate editions of EA stuff.

7. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Jaws of Hakkon DLC Released Mar 24, 2015, 14:47 Verno

Hmm I don't know Lito, they didn't ultimate edition DA2 or Mass Effect 2/3 for that matter. It's weird, correct me if I'm wrong but they seemed to have stopped bundling Bioware DLC. They did bundle up Mass Effect into a trilogy but IIRC ME2 and ME3 are without DLC included. I suspect EA makes more money on the DLC separately so they keep doing it that way on purpose.

1. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Jaws of Hakkon DLC Released Mar 24, 2015, 13:43 Verno

It's $15, better be a big zone :/  

News Comments > H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam
23. Re: H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam Mar 24, 2015, 13:11 Verno

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 13:01:
Wetworks24 wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 09:40:
1 million people paying $20 for a game that's going to be free in several months.

This is what amazed me... it's fine to want to play H1Z1, but wtf, wait a few months and play it for free, maybe? Instead of paying to be a beta tester?

Come on now, gaming community!

I actually don't have a problem with that part. Most of these sorts of games are unoptimized pieces of shit (DayZ) so I think if anything people would probably be getting a better experience. Its their money and if there isn't an equivalent to play now then who cares. What annoys me is what Trev mentioned about the shifting business model. The stuff with supply drops was weird too although I'm not sure how it all worked out in the end.

17505 Comments. 876 pages. Viewing page 37.
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo