Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 14971 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2013, 09:33 Verno

My family doctor retired last year and a pair of women have taken over the practice. I'm sure it's just my old stodgy thinking but I really prefer my doctor be a man so I think I'm going to switch soon. They seem to rotate depending on availability which doesn't let you build much of a familiarity or comfort level either.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 26, 2013, 13:15 Verno

As long as you keep buying it  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
5. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 26, 2013, 12:51 Verno

I always just string the fake Windows Support guys along until I get a VM running then let them loose in it. Then I just cackle at the shit they try and do.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 26, 2013, 11:16 Verno

The PSN reset thing is for another FIFA/Origin fuck up, I never got it but all of my friends with FIFA did.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
13. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 26, 2013, 09:02 Verno

Don't feel bad, I flipped a Day One for $700 because why not? It was free money. I threw the $200 into my daughters college fund, every little bit helps.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 26, 2013, 08:59 Verno

Everything wrong with the patent system in a single trial. Fucking Texas. The complete absurdity of this patent is just beyond all mockery and yet somehow its enforceable. I can't believe Newegg lost, unreal.  

News Comments > Steam Reviews Open Beta
2. Re: Steam Reviews Open Beta Nov 25, 2013, 14:02 Verno

I do use the Steam Guides from time to time and thought I wouldn't so cool I guess. User reviews are sometimes helpful in finding out about real world play usage vs the staged environments that game reviewers often occupy. Battlefield 4 is a great example of the gulf that often separates the two. I also feel like I will get a better handle on something someone actually spent money on vs was given. Tying it all into Steam continues the grand Valve convergence, getting a bit nuts how much is on there these days.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 25, 2013, 13:00 Verno

Ozmodan wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 11:38:
Give me a break, the Vita platform is deader than a doornail and getting worse. Taking any effort to move anything to that platform is an exercise in futility.

Oh ok just because you said so I guess Sony should just pack in their billion dollar project and cede a major market opportunity Rolleyes

It may well turn out that the current market can only support one handheld but people said the same thing about the DS and PSP. The PSP platform turned out pretty well despite major problems in its first few years. I don't see a valid reason for Sony to cut and run yet.

News Comments > Black Mesa Goes Commercial
78. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 25, 2013, 12:09 Verno

Wesp5 wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 03:57:
Verno wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 09:00:
I don't think Valve really cares one way or the other, they have enough money not to worry about the viability of the franchise so long as their core market is served. They use their properties as vehicles to forward their platform.

Yeah, that's the problem, Valve doesn't really care, because right now their core market it being a publisher and not a developer.

No, Valve cares about being a developer as they still develop games, just not ones that you want them to. They also care on their timetable instead of yours. Deal with it or move on, there isn't much else to say.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2013, 11:26 Verno

Sorry for your loss Blue.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 25, 2013, 11:04 Verno

The real killer app for the Vita is the Remote Play with the PS4, that's very very useful in households with shared TVs. Even if you dislike the Vita library you can still play something while your girlfriend watches Pawn Stars or whatever other bullshit is on the History channel that is not History anymore.  

News Comments > FIFA Manager Series Cancelled
2. Re: FIFA Manager Series Cancelled Nov 25, 2013, 11:02 Verno

NBA Live 14 is comically bad compared to NBA2k14. I don't even particularly like NBA2k14, its frustratingly difficult and heavy on the simulation side but I can at least appreciate it's a great game for the franchise player or hardcore fan. NBA Live 14 is good for no one which is inexcusable after its multi-year absence where they were supposedly improving on it.  

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 25, 2013, 09:14 Verno

I love just kicking around watching the PS4 player streams. I saw some guy who had managed to hook up his KB/M to his PS4 using some sort of third party peripheral that worked on the PS3. He was just destroying everyone in BF4, it was hilarious.

Also I got to see the Xbox One at a friends place on the weekend. I didn't come away very impressed. The home menu is pretty cool, I think Metro makes sense on a video game console more than a phone or PC but I wasn't impressed with the rest. Voice navigation just feels weird and I can't imagine doing it unless you're a single dude who is supremely lazy or something. The Netflix app for the One is worse than the PS4s default HTML5. The load times on games were long and updates seem to take forever. The party functionality is strange too, it doesn't seem to default to having everyone join up in the same game unless the host sets it which is bizarre.

There were some cool things there but nothing worth $500. Dead Rising 3 is good but feels like its lost something. Forza was really nice and everything else looked awful. Ryse was a joke.

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2013, 09:19.

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Nov 25, 2013, 08:56 Verno

Redmask wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 16:39:
panbient wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 15:54:
Don't blame the publisher for bad parenting.

We can blame the publisher for fucking up good franchises with dumb microtransactions out of greed when they could just as easily stick it into a separate product and still make their shareholders happy. I wonder what point would be enough for you. I expect a $60 game to actually be a complete game, I don't want MMO grinding inside of it that can only be relieved by spending more money.

The real problem with micro transactions is that if people boycott the product for implementing them then publishers see an increased proportion of revenue from micro transactions which they start to factor into budgets, making them a self reinforcing concept. Avoiding them doesn't seem to help, publishers look at it as extra profit at the worst and a viable revenue stream otherwise.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
12. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Nov 25, 2013, 08:49 Verno

Getting foobar2k set up the way I wanted it was akin to having dental surgery. I forgot to back it up once and yeah...never went back

I'm sure these days I could find someone else who has done the work for me though.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
12. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 25, 2013, 08:49 Verno

I like my consoles and my PCs equally  

29. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 22, 2013, 16:19 Verno

JSP wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 16:13:
Think NSA can't track anyone with a PS4 in their living rooms? Think again.

I can just disconnect mine from the internet. The PS4 remains remarkably useful offline still.

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 22, 2013, 13:31 Verno

Tumbler wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 13:14:
Meh, I'm not sure if I'd buy the One even at $400 right now. The choice of them to force kinect into every system when it still performs much like it did before is pretty pathetic.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-watching-tv-with-xbox-one/2300-8251/

Giantbomb did a demo/quicklook using the kinect to navigate TV and I can't help but feel like if this was the corner stone of this new system why didn't they get it working any better? It seems to have a lot of the same voice issues the last one did.

I have to wonder who wants to constantly use their voice to navigate the living room STBs? I know one reviewer said he loves it because he doesn't need the remote but I actually like my remote, its always 100% accurate and you build muscle memory quickly. I think the novelty of saying "xbox go to netflix" would wear off quickly both for myself and others in the house even if its technically faster to do it that way (assuming Kinect hears you). I guess it's good for spouses or something who aren't used to picking up the controller and interacting with it? I think they would be even more frustrated if its not 100% accurate though. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out over a longer timeline.

Snap seems like a cool idea but the preset sizes suck for many things. Also they murdered Game DVR what the fuck. 5 minutes of recording time and it only goes back 30 seconds? That's terrible.

Well first off, they have improved Kinnect a lot. You should do your research before railing on something. Read the giant bomb review and it was a bunch of garbage, you should be careful of what you read on the net.

They had both systems in the store yesterday, playing side by side. Looked at several games, including Battlefield 4 and several others available on both and saw little difference graphics wise. People spouting huge differences have an axe to grind.

Am a PC gamer, but the kids really like the kinnect games so if I were to actually get a console it would probably be the Xbox one as the PS4 just fails in that area

I'm not surprised you didn't see a difference on demo units at the store. I think the Playroom robot app is arguably the best justification for cameras on either system at the moment too. The Giant Bomb videos I've seen were fine (they're actually very balanced when it comes to Microsoft stuff) and mirror several others I've read about Kinect being improved but still failing in a 20%+ margin.

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 2013, 13:38.

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 22, 2013, 10:32 Verno

Just checking the local inventory on websites around my area I easily found over 100 systems so I think it's just the usual press release bait trying to create artificial demand. The Day One Edition isn't in stock anywhere, the regular Xbone is easily found.

Anyways I picked my horse for now, not looking at other platforms until they're all much cheaper or I get really bored.

Something I found the other night, the tile on the main PS4 menu called Live from Playstation is actually a really cool user stream listing. I thought it would be some lame marketing effort from Sony or something, I had no idea. I spent a good 30 minutes watching other dudes play Madden, it was a bizarrely enjoyable experience. The game was between 2 players and decided by a last minute field goal, the chat was going nuts at the end. I never thought this would be a feature I cared about but it has a lot of potential.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
51. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 22, 2013, 09:34 Verno

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 09:10:
FFS I do not have any more time/money to spend on games, stop talking about this already!

Are you still playing BF4? I picked it up and need some peeps to play with since my friends are on a "we hate EA" kick at the moment.

14971 Comments. 749 pages. Viewing page 37.
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo