Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 15505 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
44. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 14, 2014, 09:35 Verno

Cutter wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 23:50:
How have shipping costs gone up when fuel prices have gone down. And as an economy of scale these guys are doing more business then ever - so prices should come down to reflect that. Granted I'm not a logistics guy but you'd think that'd be the case.

Decreased? I thought fuel costs had skyrocketed over the past 10 years, particularly in the logistics industry. A casual google search seems to back that up as well.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > PopCap Layoffs
19. Re: PopCap Layoffs Mar 14, 2014, 08:53 Verno

EAs handling of PopCap has been really frustrating, most of our household loves their games. They're suddenly now only available for mobile crap or EA does weird exclusivity deals. PopCap printed money for a long time but somehow EA is managing to fuck with that formula too.  

34. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2014, 14:57 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 14:55:
Also, I'd like to point out that a Costco Exec membership is about $100, and it doesn't come with video streaming. Costco also has a lot less selection than Amazon, although they do offer a lot more food than Amazon does.

I get cashback on my Costco membership though, every year it's paid for itself and then some.

Obviously it will be different for others but I didn't have $99 in shipping charges last year and the Video/etc isn't a big deal. I really like Amazon but the value just isn't there for me, I would need to buy a bunch of large items with heavy shipping costs or time sensitive stuff.

News Comments > Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters
30. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 12:28 Verno

Panickd wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 12:26:
It's like modern MP game developers don't understand how gamers socializing in-game can lengthen the life of their titles anymore.

Not at all, they understand perfectly well and it's exactly what they don't want. Companies like EA are tuned to 1-2 year title turnarounds now, they can't survive on DLC and mappacks alone. It's all about control of their revenue stream. They only put up with supporting older titles for as long as there isn't a significant amount of customers to give them flack about retiring them. Many of the long standing multiplayer games you can find online are only there because of lifetime Gamespy support contracts for the backend.

I agree with what you said though and it's a shame that user controlled servers are becoming a rare occurrence.

News Comments > Game Reviews
47. Re: Game Reviews Mar 13, 2014, 12:23 Verno

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 12:12:
And the predictably dismissive comments from the usual people comes piling in.

It was dismissive because it's true, you showcase bigoted opinions regularly. No it doesn't make it ok for other people to do so either.

Also if you search for "removed" on Cutters name you will find moderated posts, there is no bias. I don't find this site to be a liberal hugbox either, I hold many conservative views and don't find them oppressed in any way. It's a gaming site anyway so the fact that I get to discuss them at all is just a bonus.

23. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 11:33 Verno

This is the reason I love Blues News. People calling each other stupid, telling each other to get Bent. Dripping sarcasm. And then a few (very few) people trying to take the high road.

All wrapped up in one forum. Sweetness....
[Good thing we don't have trolls]

Yeah that's fair, I should have been more mature in my response. Sorry Moog.

My point was that being kicked for a stupid reason or no reason at all is just as bad as playing against hacks.
If you think having dedicated servers that are user maintained would solve the cheating problems than I think you are dreaming.

The community is infinitely faster at dealing with cheats though. Overzealous admins are always a problem but no more so than dipshit users who play the Benny Hill theme through their mic. I think cheaters are more game ruining than shitty admins, its really easy to just find a different server with better admins.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2014, 11:32 Verno

Yeah got a foot and a half last night, spent most of the day helping dig neighbors out and pushing cars. Brutal weather. Tomorrow it's supposed to all melt, go figure.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
43. Re: Game Reviews Mar 13, 2014, 11:24 Verno

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 07:52:
It's nice to see bigotry is alive and well on the Blue's News forums.

Glass house, stones, etc.

18. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 11:15 Verno

Honestly, I don't know why companies like ea and Activision aren't hunting down the companies ...and specifically the PEOPLE being paid to provide hacks. They should have legal grounds to do so, as it subverts the original design of their software. Maybe that's where it'll eventually end up, but for now, banning the cheaters solves nothing. It's like scolding a drug addict and believing that'll stop the illegal drug trade.

The funny thing is that the community does a pretty good job of addressing things itself when it has the tools but the companies keep taking away more and more control. Activision/etc can't really sue the companies providing the hacks, many are in foreign countries and new ones will spring up to replace old ones quickly.

14. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 11:09 Verno

Moog wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 10:02:
What a stupid comment!

What exactly is the correlation between an in-game weapon that everyone has access to (and is not the amazing killing machine that people go on about) and cheaters, ie. people using "aimbots and such".

Get bent. I don't think its game ruining or something because its a shitty weapon for bad players but I can't help but chuckle about them talking tough about cheats when they put a "smart pistol" in the game. It's literally a weapon that aims for you, if you don't see a bit of contradiction in that then oh well. These games already have degrees of auto-aim even.

And before you go there, no I'm not excusing cheaters or saying that its the same thing as someone headshotting you across the map behind a wall. Sure it's more serious when that person is using a Carbine instead of a dumb pistol that takes 3-4 shots to kill a pilot. I don't even care for lock on weapons in games like Battlefield but at least there is a power disparity between a vehicle and a soldier that is addressing.

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2014, 10:01 Verno

I added up all of my shipping costs last year and they weren't close to $99, I also don't use Instant Video very much. So yeah I guess I'll just cancel it. I really don't mind waiting an extra day or two for shipping.  

6. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 09:55 Verno

The smart pistol is really stupid (thankfully its bad at killing pilots) and makes them look a bit foolish in talking tough on cheaters.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Titanfall; First Patch Released
57. Re: Ships Ahoy - Titanfall; First Patch Released Mar 11, 2014, 16:16 Verno

Fantaz wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 15:54:
that's exactly what it was designed to be... a simple dumbed down mech game for the CoD masses. just be glad we get served a game like this at all, so play and try to make the most of it instead of complain and complain... that's all i hear u guys do.

Errr what? He said he tried it and didn't like it so your suggestion is that hes thankful he gets it at all. PC gaming isn't a charity dude, they make money on these games or we would not see them at all. EA probably makes more money on every Origin copy sold than they do on the Xbox One.

50. Re: Ships Ahoy - Titanfall; First Patch Released Mar 11, 2014, 15:53 Verno

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 15:27:
I can't wait to give my CC number to some random Russian website

Credit card companies are really easy to work with about fraudulent transactions so I don't see why not.

36. Re: Ships Ahoy - Titanfall; First Patch Released Mar 11, 2014, 14:17 Verno

Creston wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 14:14:
Will you guys please, for the love of God, stop responding to (and especially QUOTING) deqer? How much more fucking evidence does he have to give before you guys realize you're just being trolled out the ass???

Sometimes its fun though

29. Re: Ships Ahoy - Titanfall; First Patch Released Mar 11, 2014, 14:09 Verno

deqer wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 13:37:
2 words for you:
1) Cartridge games.
2) Devs taking advantage of the "Patch" system to rush out a product to the sheeple for quick money due to greed.

That is way more than 2 words.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 11, 2014, 10:07 Verno

Finished with True Detective last night. Without getting into spoilers I enjoyed it but agree that it never fully lived up to the potential shown by the 3rd and 4th episodes. McConaughey deserves some awards for his performances as Cole, guy has some serious acting chops when he gets the right script. I will definitely be interested in seeing what they come up with next year, I hope its an entirely new setting with no reappearances from the old cast.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2014, 10:02 Verno

BitWraith wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 09:40:
Not related, but nice with watching Cadfael - is one of our favorite shows!

I'm really enjoying it too, thanks! If you have any similar recommendations let me know, we've already binged through Poirot and several other shows.

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Titanfall; First Patch Released Mar 11, 2014, 09:43 Verno

InBlack wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 09:20:
Private server lobbies? What the fuck?? Let me guess no dedicated server support either, no lan??

The matches themselves run on dedicated servers but they are not player run if that's what you're asking. There is no LAN support though I'm not surprised by that omission these days.

It is a good game, at times even a great one but they needed another year to flesh it out with more content IMO. I know people will crap all over this because Microsoft is trying to herald it as the Xbox One savior but it's a legit fun FPS game and certainly better than CoD these days.

I am personally not going to bother due to my backlog and Dark Souls II but people should definitely give it a whirl if they like twitch FPS games for $45 or less IMO.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2014, 09:37 Verno

Dark Souls II destroying Metacritic toot toot.

Microsoft's Azure cloud servers responsible for Titanfall's in-game AI, freeing up power for more advanced graphics

Uhhh wow marketing... The bots in that game are horrible and the game runs at 792p on the Xbox One with noticeable slowdown and screen tearing.

The PC version puts it to shame and the "cloud" is just a fancy way of saying dedicated servers for multiplayer.

15505 Comments. 776 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo