Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 14971 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 2, 2013, 10:24 Verno

This would have to be pretty light packages, drones have enough power issues as is unless you go crazy expensive.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 2, 2013, 09:57 Verno

One of my favorite book publishers recently went DRM free and said ebook sales drastically increased.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 2, 2013, 09:56 Verno

Bing shares the top global searches of 2013.

"How to remove Bing"

"How to uninstall Bing Desktop"

"Set Google as homepage instead of Bing"

"Why does Bing Desktop keep reappearing after being hidden in Windows Update?"

"Can't I use Google on the Xbox?"

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2013, 09:48 Verno

I was wondering why the site was so peaceful and serene lately, Thundr finally got the ban he so richly deserved apparently.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
42. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 2, 2013, 09:07 Verno

The vanilla Skyrim experience is a really average game and is a bit of a technical mess, you pretty much need to extensively mod it IMO. I am rarely running less than 50 mods when I play, most are minor tweaks but they add up to a much better RPG with less crashes and jank. The balance in the game is utterly broken without mods too.

I just wish Bethesda would hire some better animators and take a serious go at the combat engine again, their games feel so stiff and clunky compared to stuff like Dark Souls. The eastern dev houses have their weaknesses but damned if they don't do the best combat stuff in videogames.

News Comments > Black Friday Metaverse
7. Re: Black Friday Metaverse Nov 29, 2013, 14:09 Verno

I know how Bitcoin works and have little confidence in its long term viability. I think the pent up Chinese arbitrage is responsible for the inflation we're seeing more than anything else. It's way too late to mine without a serious amount of money in ASIC and buying in at $1000 makes no sense so its just a missed opportunity, I've seen thousands of them go by in the stock market too but that's life. Many people bought into Bitcoin and got ripped after exchange trusts closed or wallets were lost.

I'd rather put my money into mixed portfolio funds and indexes. Compound interest is a slow but beautiful process.

If people really want to partake in this nonsense then get in on Litecoin which at least can still be mined using consumer hardware for the time being. It's much harder to get rid of but you can do it with Bitcoin and there are some exchanges that appear to somewhat legit, though many of these Bitcoin/Litecoin things have the markings of fly by night operations.

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 2013, 14:54.

News Comments > On Sale
59. Re: On Sale Nov 29, 2013, 09:46 Verno

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 29, 2013, 09:41:
Is Battlefield 4 any good? I keep hearing horror stories and just can't waste the money on a dud.

I am really mixed on it. The SP is awful, don't even waste thought on it. The MP can range from great to maddening depending on if you hit a shitty server (there are many) or the client starts acting up. There are numerous crash bugs and sound problems on several maps across all of the platforms the game is available so I stopped blaming this on peoples PC configurations.

For $20-30 it is a good value and the quality of the default map selection is much better than it was at BF3 release. If you need a squaddie I'm Vernoz on Origin.

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Nov 28, 2013, 14:29 Verno

Fuck no, it has an utterly bizarre, convoluted story and is roughly 5-7 hours of FPS cliches and gameplay mediocrity. Get it for the MP or not at all.  

News Comments > Thanksgiving Tech Bits
1. Re: Thanksgiving Tech Bits Nov 28, 2013, 13:52 Verno

No surprise with OCZ, they've been shipping substandard bullshit for years and had some of the most annoying warranty structures to deal with.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $33 Million
13. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 27, 2013, 15:12 Verno

Kosumo wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 14:53:
I wonder if they pay tax on those "ships" that they sell?

I would not think that you pay tax on kick starter money (anyone know?), but if you are selling something I'd say there is a very good chance you should be paying tax on it? (somewhere in the world)

Perhaps the $35 million goal could be a tax shelter Coffee

You absolutely do pay tax for Kickstarter stuff, its all covered in their FAQ. To the government its income like anything else. The amount of tax depends on whether you're dumb enough to take it all personally or incorporate a company to pay a much lower tax rate and try to dodge out on as much tax as possible with dubious expenses.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $33 Million
5. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 27, 2013, 14:33 Verno

I'm way more amused at how incensed people get about the crowdfunding of this game than I likely will be with the game itself  

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale
1. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 27, 2013, 13:52 Verno

How's Prison Architect shaping up? I told myself I wouldn't buy anymore early access stuff after the Cubeworld dev decided to take his sweet time delivering updates but I don't know, it seems interesting.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2013, 13:40 Verno

Skyrim Legendary Edition for $20 is pretty awesome.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 27, 2013, 12:26 Verno

Stopping swearing in online multiplayer, yeah ok. Microsoft has a better chance of curing cancer.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2013, 12:15 Verno

Yeah given what EA has produced over the past year I'm not terribly confident about it being a good game.  

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Nov 27, 2013, 11:20 Verno

Frags4Fun wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 10:45:

The thing has been out for a month and I still haven't seen any real progress with the majority of problems. The netcode is beyond terrible. My thoughts on the netcode is that it sucked in BF3 (magic bullets follow you around cover)and they don't have a solution for it so they make it terribad in BF4 and when it gets back to being as "good" as BF3 everyone will be like, "wow, this is the best netcodes ever". LOL

</rant>

They've done truly awful things with the netcode. A friend and I tested it out the other day, I should go back and take some video for youtube sometime. Low ping server, only 32p. We got put on opposite teams by one of the spergelord admins and I know his usual haunts on Hainan so I ran over to shoot him. I unload a half clip into him center mass from like 5 feet away, he proceeds to turn around and shoot me. I asked him what he saw from his perspective and he said there was 2 of me standing there doing nothing. Neither one of us had network smoothing turned on and we were on my network with no other heavy traffic.

I tend to die less in cover than I used to in BF3 but the number of other oddities and bullshit deaths increased to compensate

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Nov 27, 2013, 10:26 Verno

Yeah I remember people telling me the PC version was more stable than the consoles but I've had it crash on me a couple dozen times now with a pretty virgin Intel/Nvidia box running Windows 7. I tried it on my Windows 8 machine but kept getting the sound loop crash. Your progress should be saved though, check the battle reports. Sometimes the server itself crashes and that causes the client to crash which results in lost progress.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2013, 10:03 Verno

InBlack wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 09:53:
My last GP was a goddamn harpy. She retired last year thankfully, and her replacement is a very friendly, very attractive young woman. I couldnt be happier

I don't know, one of my doctors is a pretty smokin blonde but I think medical stuff is the one context where I don't want to be distracted by that sort of thing. I've noticed that both of them are really trigger happy with antibiotics too, I feel like any time I go to see them they're just going to prescribe a penicillin derivative just to make it seem like they accomplished something. To be fair though I hear that's a real problem with newer doctors in general these days.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Curt Schilling on Amalur
20. Re: Quoteworthy - Curt Schilling on Amalur Nov 27, 2013, 09:39 Verno

$8 better spent on other games more worthy of your time.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Nov 27, 2013, 09:36 Verno

EA: We want to be voted the best company in America.

SimCity, NBA Live 14, another dead C&C and the disastrous BF4 launch seem to indicate otherwise.

14971 Comments. 749 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo