Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 15581 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
11. Re: Anti-Gay Firefox Chief Brendan Eich Quits Days After OkCupid Backlash Apr 3, 2014, 19:58 Verno

Prez wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 18:35:
I am all for equal treatment under the law for gay people and I am glad the ban on gay marriage in question failed, but I think this is stupid. This man has a right to donate to whatever causes he wants. He did not bring his personal views into the workplace at all; why is he being forced out of his job over this? I believe this is wrong.

He's free to donate to whatever causes he wants the same as people are free to not use Mozilla related products because of his views. I don't see a problem with any of this or how it turned out. He chose to support an organization with a public donation and people found out, he couldn't support his position and basically had to step down over something easily avoided.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > GameSpy Shutting Down Services
10. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 3, 2014, 19:41 Verno

These guys backended a shitload of older games and newer console games. Stuff like the older BF games and whatnot were basically only still running because of lifetime support contracts from Gamespy. This really sucks, I couldn't care less about the old client but losing the backend stuff will mean useless multiplayer in a lot of old games, many which still had people playing them after all these years.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
14. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 3, 2014, 19:36 Verno

I'm still playing with it so I'll post something on the pros/cons and comparisons to other units later. So far I've got some emulators sorta running, XBMC, the voice search is extremely good and I've tested some of the apps. I'm trying to map out what it can and can't do tonight. Really cool little box so far but if you have a Roku, PS4, etc then you don't need to rush out and get one or something. This is more aimed at people who are upgrading from older hardware or who don't have a media STB. The biggest benefit is the path to running local media looks much better, much faster hardware/app performance in general and it could potentially run anything Android can which opens up a lot of possibilities.

Right now its still really early though so getting custom stuff running will be a crapshoot, I wouldn't pick one up unless you just need a new media streamer. Bleeding edge and all that

This comment was edited on Apr 3, 2014, 19:52.

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 3, 2014, 17:45 Verno

Nope there is nothing wrong with the unit, I've just used better hardware so I have a frame of reference. Compared to the Roku 2 it's a big step up but adequate is as far I would go describing it. Anyways whatever to the basement it goes, just testing out the FireTV now, ridiculously fast so far. Looks like it will take sideloaded Android APKs so this thing will be pretty great.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: RE: Follow up Apr 3, 2014, 16:38 Verno

UConnBBall wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 16:09:
I also hate Apple and hate lazy devlopers who are just kissing money good-bye. Port it to Android and not the 12% market share iOS.

The 12% iOS share represents the majority of revenue is the problem we keep hearing from developers though. I don't know if this is piracy, device fragmentation or whatever but they make a lot more money on iOS unfortunately.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance
12. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance Apr 3, 2014, 16:25 Verno

Holy shit that is....awful  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Advanced Edition
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Advanced Edition Apr 3, 2014, 16:09 Verno

Loved this so much, had a blast with my crazy rockman runs.  

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 3, 2014, 15:16 Verno

Axis wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 14:58:
The Roku 3 is not sluggish in the least, all depends on what is loading and how you are networked. I have everything hardwired and streamlined though.

Nope I have mine hardwired and I would not call it a smooth experience in some of the channels (the ones that work, Roku has a ton of throwaway ones). Just even navigating the Netflix app isn't as responsive as my PS4. This has the same processor as a Nexus 4 so at the minimum it's going to be a more powerful Roku and Amazon's ecosystem is relatively open. You can run XBMC on one of the other Fires which uses FireOS so I likely won't even need Plex, though this looks to even have a superior Plex skin in case I decide to.

This lets me move the Roku to the basement where my workout equipment is so its win win. Better hardware, same if not better software support and Amazon is pretty good with product support. Its been delivered apparently too, now the wait til work is over wheeee!

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 3, 2014, 14:27 Verno

You still need store approval so good luck getting emulators and VLC type stuff on the Xbone. Pointless.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
14. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 3, 2014, 13:18 Verno

The implementation looks ok I guess, I still think that guy on Youtube did the best mockup, they should have hired him.  

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 3, 2014, 12:20 Verno

The Roku can be quite sluggish with some apps, this machine won't have that issue and its a similar price point. It'll also have the benefit of a stronger ecosystem thanks to Amazons relatively open policies. The ability to sideload your own content is fantastic and the voice searching might be useful to some people. Finally the actual Plex app looks to be the better one used for GoogleTV rather than the crappy one on the Roku right now. Given it's relative power point it will make a pretty decent emulator box as well. I hope it can natively browse CIFS/etc shares but I guess we'll see. Sideloading XBMC on this would rock.

The bigger problem is the lack of HBO Go but that doesn't bug me.

I'm waiting on mine to arrive to start messing around on it, going through the API it looks very promising though. I'm interested to see if it'll pass DTS too. Worst case scenario is that its more powerful than the Roku at a similar price point so its win win if you don't have a media STB already.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2014, 12:12 Verno

The Onion kills it as usual, great stuff.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 3, 2014, 12:08 Verno

Well played Blue.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 3, 2014, 12:07 Verno

Suikoden was always pretty cool, I'd love to see more of those games. Shenmue is dead, forget it folks.  

News Comments > Daylight Delayed for Scariness
6. Re: Daylight Delayed for Scariness Apr 3, 2014, 12:06 Verno

This looks pretty cool, can't wait.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2014, 15:03 Verno

Bodolza wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 14:54:
Nice price on that little box, but I see that DTS is conspicuously missing from the list of supported audio codecs. The bluetooth remote also makes it incompatible with the vast majority or universal remotes out there. Looks like I'm sticking with the HTPC for the time being.

I have a Harmony Smart Control which does Bluetooth so hopefully I'll be fine but I agree the lack of backup IR (like the Roku has) is a bit puzzling. No clue about DTS but I'm ordering one right now to hack on so I'll post about it in the future sometime. It does say audio passthrough support so hopefully it'll do it.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2014, 14:20 Verno

Specs look pretty good. Microphone in the remote for voice search, kickin MS right in the pants. I like the optional controller but I find most mobile games to be pretty shit. I guess I could use it as an emulator box for everything sub-PS2.

It will have Plex app support so you can do all of your local content too, bam sold. Been waiting forever for something like this.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2014, 11:58 Verno

This Amazon FireTV thing looks ballin. Hulu, Netflix, Instant Video and it runs Android so I can probably run XBMC and get all of my local content too. Could finally be a true all in one HTPC. Quad core CPU, 2GB of memory, remote, etc. Not bad for $99, its ability to run XBMC will be the deal breaker for me since I want something that does local content too.

Edit: oh right link - http://gizmodo.com/amazons-fire-tv-everything-you-need-to-know-1556889628

This comment was edited on Apr 2, 2014, 12:06.

News Comments > Watch Dogs Trailer
11. Re: Watch Dogs Trailer Apr 2, 2014, 11:16 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 09:31:
Wind simulation... that's... a first in gaming.. looks pretty neat. Let's hope it's a good game.

Ubisoft is great at making pretty worlds, not so good at making them interesting to play with. I am not holding out much hope for this based on experiences with their other open world games. Just a bunch of repetitious nonsense and collectathons.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned
8. Re: Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned Apr 2, 2014, 11:15 Verno

Killcam is retarded anyway.  

15581 Comments. 780 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo