Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 17052 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 13, 2015, 10:10 Verno

Its amusing that he thinks he has the power to "ban" something from being used on the internet.  

Playing: The Witcher 3, Bloodborne, Secret of Mana
Watching: X-Files, Mad Men, Mad Max Fury Road
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2015, 09:57 Verno

ldonyo wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 09:12:
With Ted Cruz overseeing NASA, we can look forward to figuring out how to use bottle rockets to get supplies to the International Space Station and finding astronauts that can hold their breath for a very long time so they won't need air tanks.

Okay, not really. But, Ted has a very poor (no) grasp of science and this is not going to end well.

Putting the wolf in charge of the hen house. Very frustrating situation, I would say that there should be some sort of academic requirement for being a politician but then we wouldn't have any

News Comments > Universal Combat Advanced Announced
10. Re: Universal Combat Advanced Announced Jan 13, 2015, 09:49 Verno

Universal Combat, the name was inspired by Derek's style of interaction with his community.  

News Comments > Job Posting Hints MS RTS Revival
9. Re: Job Posting Hints MS RTS Revival Jan 12, 2015, 16:13 Verno

Great, another opportunity for Microsoft to take a big steaming dump on my nostalgia.

Still waiting with dread to see what their big gaming related Windows 10 announcement is.

News Comments > H1Z1 Early Access This Week
1. Re: H1Z1 Early Access This Week Jan 12, 2015, 15:34 Verno

Interesting, I'll definitely check it out. 7 Days to Die hasn't been bad but the Unity engine jank wears on you. I've been sorta waiting for a DayZ style game with some actual production value behind it.  

News Comments > Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag
16. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jan 12, 2015, 14:20 Verno

Xero wrote on Jan 12, 2015, 12:20:
Yep, I think Blizzard's goal with Heroes of the Storm is to make 15-20min matches, pretty typical with an RTS match from their catalog as well. Just to further show they are pushing for that time range, when the matches go into the later time frame, there is plenty more assist to get that win including game finishing hero abilities, and the usual heavy building damage catapults and whatnot that start to auto spawn.

Also, each map is distinct in the side objectives that each time has to fight for and to give an idea, there is a map with a Golem that keeps getting stronger as you collect skulls in the mines. As you get it stronger and it keeps moving towards your opponents base, eventually the golem will literally spawn inside your opponents base with the strength you earned it. This puts a statement that the match will be over soon unless someone makes a game changing move...

Overall I'm loving the way Heroes of the Storm is shaping up and my only sadness would be that I think Blizzard is done with the RTS route with Starcraft 2. I doubt I'll ever see a true Warcraft 3 RTS sequel and that was my favorite game for many a years (around 10).

Awesome that's all really encouraging to hear, I will definitely check it out in the future then. I loved War3 as well and I'm sad that everything has to require a long tail monetization chain these days. Warcraft 4 is begging to be made.

News Comments > Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag
8. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jan 12, 2015, 11:39 Verno

SimplyMonk wrote on Jan 12, 2015, 11:23:
I will say though, I've played quite a bit of Heroes of the Storm and do enjoy it specifically when I only have 15 minutes for a game and just want to have a good time.

Yeah my problem with DOTA2 is that games go on a bit too long. I want a 15-20 minute thing, not 25-40.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2015, 10:34 Verno

I picked the Colts just because Manning historically under performs in the playoffs. Really sad to see Manning lose what might be his last shot though, hes one of the all time greats. It was a really weak effort all around from Denver. Welker especially has been very disappointing the latter half of the season. Brady on the other hand just seems to get better with age, those lightning passes he was throwing against the blitz were pretty awesome. The Edelman/Amendola key up was classic too. I felt bad for the Ravens because they came to that game really prepared and played a better game overall but Brady/Belichick adjusted well on the fly. I've never seen Brady audible that much before.

Agreed Creston, Manning gets flustered and starts compounding shitty decisions.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2015, 09:07 Verno

Manning looked really weak out there, I wonder if hes going to hang up the spurs. Hes had a real problem throwing in the cold and was pretty slow getting up from some of those hits.

I hope the Pack can pop Seattle's balloon, no desire to see them return to the Bowl this year.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2015, 12:59 Verno

KS wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 12:47:
They should do drive-by identification of energy-leaking apartments. My old top (3rd) floor apartment got hot to the touch in the ceiling in summer, indicating no insulation. The already woefully inadequate AC couldn't keep it below 85 in summer.

Apartments should not be allowed to advertise AC if it's functionally useless. They are evil bastards who lie, lie, lie.

Yeah I don't miss apartment living at all for that reason. I had one place where it was so poorly insulated that the year round electricity costs were nuts, like over a $150 a month for a 2 bedroom. Summers were brutal, the building was like a sauna and all the AC could barely put a dent in it. Winters were also unbearable, I had to recaulk the whole place as you could feel huge drafts coming in under the trim, the windows were selected for looks instead of function and blah blah blah. It was awful, never going back to an apartment. I'm sure there are nice ones but I never had any luck with them.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
20. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 9, 2015, 11:06 Verno

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 21:09:
I haven't purchased a Blu-Ray anything...ever. I don't see the point. By the time I invest in the technology, and invest in building a significant library, "Super Uber Mega Deluxe 9000 SEE-THE-SWEAT-DRIP-OFF-A-HOBBIT'S-BALLSACK-HAIR 2048K" is the new standard. Fuck it, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and the like are good enough for me. If I want to watch a movie, it's for the story and spectacle. The fact that it is .075% less black than flavor-of-the-month optical media is pointless to me. I just don't have the crippling level of autism or OCD needed to notice it.

Ouch, kind of harsh there man. Some people like having a collection that they can resell or lend to friends/family. It's not necessarily anything to do with needing omega quality, although I have to say the difference between some Netflix bitrates and what you get on a decent Bluray goes well beyond just small things sometimes. It's not like Bluray is a big investment either, most people probably own a console or you can get a $30-50 Bluray player.

But hey if it doesn't fit your use case, I get it. I mean some people don't place importance on these things and view content as more disposable, fair enough.

News Comments > Valve: Steam Machines "Front and Center" at GDC
33. Re: Valve: Steam Machines Jan 9, 2015, 10:46 Verno

Wesp5 wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 10:42:
What a coincidence that they used the favorite MP game at that time and everyone wanting to continue needed Steam. Guess what Origin is doing to get their share of the market? Exactly the same!

You were making a comparison to Microsoft, not Origin so thats what I was addressing. I didn't say they were saints or that it wasn't business motivated, it surely was. Regardless the reason it was successful was because of everything that came afterward.

You misunderstand me. I meant that it will be pretty sure that the only games running on SteamOS will be those purchased from Steam, anything else would be stupid from Valves side. And guess what? That's exactly what Apple is doing with their App Store: One source to rule them all!

This isn't true, I've run SteamOS. It's a Linux distro, you can run pretty much any game on it that will run on Linux. It's just easier within the confines of Steam since there are many official Linux ports now. You can do pretty much whatever you want with it, go run XBMC, run emulators, dual boot Windows, whatever.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2015, 10:05 Verno

They called for an inch here and we ended up getting 5. A friend of mine who is a commercial fisherman joked that if he relied on the weather stations for accuracy he would be dead several times over.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 9, 2015, 10:03 Verno

I think they mean "Gamestop needs market for used downloads if it wants to stay relevant."  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 9, 2015, 10:02 Verno

I have to admit, I remember most people here were pretty worried after we learned it would be Wheeler but hes defying expectations so far in a wonderful way. I should be less cynical.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
37. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 9, 2015, 09:47 Verno

Orogogus wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 14:09:
Meaning what? You'd quit gaming? Leave your job and join the local branch of the government anti-gamer-terrorist unit? Get stuck in giant useless message board arguments? What is the expectation for non-terrorist Muslims, exactly? Is it that you want them to convert, or set up extralegal self-police forces? It seems to me that you want Muslims to make public announcements to the effect of their religion is bad and they feel bad, which seems unrealistic.

I'm sorry I missed this one yesterday, I wasn't trying to ignore it.

I'd do whatever my conscience required, it would depend on the situation. I've protested in my life, raised community awareness/money and helped build political pressure to effect change. I'm willing to concede that my view of these things is anecdotal based on living in a single muslim centric area but all I see here is a lot of apathy. I don't expect muslims to denounce their religion, quite the opposite. I want the religion of peace actively used to push out the extremists through social, cultural and political change. In terms of overseas efforts I think people are kidding themselves if they think military action won't be required to stop terrorist training camps from continuing to be established and I feel like we've been more instrumental in those efforts than anyone else. I'd like to see more community efforts from local imams in raising money for some of these goals. That's what I have from the top of my head anyway, I'll think on it more.

I hear people talk about comparisons to extreme Christian groups and say that its just a crazy person problem. Certainly true, no one is trying to blame muslims for this specific incident or something. That said, if the Westboro Baptist Church was shooting people overseas for satirizing Jesus, do you think anyone here would stand for it? There would be widespread efforts to put a stop to it and fast. I'm not sure I see muslim communities being so understanding about an extreme minority of ours either. But to be fair its been encouraging seeing more muslims condemn it (online) than I remember in previous incidents and I did see some stances from some prominent muslims in the news to the same effect.

Maybe I'm wrong and just letting my personal experiences color my judgment, fair enough. Feel free to share yours and I will always hear them out with an open mind.

Edit: sorry posted before coffee, cleaned up a few things.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2015, 11:09.

News Comments > Valve: Steam Machines "Front and Center" at GDC
30. Re: Valve: Steam Machines Jan 9, 2015, 09:02 Verno

Wesp5 wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 04:54:
InBlack wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 02:56:
Well said. Steam changed PC gaming in a big way.

Yeah, they forced every Counter-Strike player into Steam and thus got a headstart on the digital distribution front and kept that a monopoly for now. This is not very different to what MS does with Windows.

This doesn't feel like a fair representation to me. They chose to move off the WON.net architecture which frankly was kind of creaky to begin with and try to build a more scalable platform. No one was forced into digital distribution, they won people over with convenience, pricing and free features. This is in stark contrast to Microsofts approach to things, a company that actually tried charging for Games For Windows Live subscriptions at one point.

22. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 8, 2015, 15:03 Verno

Dmitri_M wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 14:14:
In my country we have a sizeable Muslim minority. Many run successful businesses. They're contributors. Reliable honest people to deal with. Yet get a little closer you realise they have an agenda of control. Of making it about Islam. Or using Islam to push their own agendas, be it making money or just generally trying to domineer. A 12 person civic society committee my father was on had a single Muslim member. He presented as the nice moderate business man in the corner. Until he wanted something, upon which he'd explode into entitled rage until he got his way. The man once showed up at our house raving angrily. You'd never tell how pent up he was in normal dealings.

I don't think a culture so controlling of it's woman, so controlling generally, is in any sense healthy. Extremism grows from within Islamic culture. They want to dominate.

It's a similar situation around here. There are a lot of hard working muslims in this area, I respect many of them. They seem largely apathetic to extremism in their culture though, whether its at home or abroad. I used to be a big idealist on this subject until I started to see it first hand. There have been honor killings, attempts to setup sharia law courts, arranged marriages with underaged girls and its usually total silence from the muslim community. That's without getting into the segregration efforts in both school and business. Many are not content to integrate and I suspect never will, they see our liberalism ironically as weak and will push to dominate aspects of our society. It's inherent in their culture even.

I lived in my head about many of these things for awhile but actually being exposted to it has been a difference experience. What freaks me out a bit is that many of the experiences around here have been with the so called moderates.

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 8, 2015, 14:02 Verno

Quboid wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 13:24:
Neither do I. If the excuse of "nothing to do with us" is valid, it's valid. If it's not, it's not. Severity has nothing to with it.

I absolutely disagree, context matters. Either way I'm not going any further down this road, that whole gamergate shit will just derail things.

From him, that doesn't surprise me. From you it does.

First off don't try to attribute other peoples text to me, I supplied my own that could've been easily used. Second I've lived in muslim centric areas for years and my text comes from my personal experiences. I'm generalizing out of necessity when dealing with a broad subject like this one, I don't believe every single muslim is necessarily responsible.

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 8, 2015, 13:14 Verno

Quboid wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 12:59:
This reasoning "works" when you put in any beleaguered group. Something tells me that my modifications aren't going to look quite as palatable when it's us who are being told we're responsible for the actions of other people who, to outsiders, appear to speak for us. The actions of these terrorists are a hell of a lot less representative of Muslims than the actions of the most objectionable gamers are to many of us.

(If you think I'm calling any gamers terrorists, you are completely missing my point.)

Ugh, why would you try to conflate these two unlike situations? Tell you what, if gamers were actually blowing up people, shooting people and attempting to undermine society as a whole I would get involved and take some ownership of the problem. When it affects our collective societies, yes action is required to preserve that. I don't think "gamergate" qualifies as equivalent.

This is a cultural problem of theirs, we can't be expected to shoulder the entire burden. We already get enough of the blame as it is and I refuse to do the typical western guilt thing any longer.

17052 Comments. 853 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo