Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 15513 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
51. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2014, 09:18 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 18:51:
Dang, I have all the wired solutions, but was hoping for wireless that some here liked and would rave about.

If all you care about is listening to TV show dialogue or something then you can probably get by with some wireless Sennheisers. Get some RF based ones if you don't think there will be a lot of interference. Just be aware that crackling and popping can be issue with these things, particularly if you move around a bit while listening. I wouldn't count on good sound quality either, I have a pair I use for the treadmill and they're adequate but not much else.

Stay away from anything super cheap and anything IR based.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled
121. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 26, 2014, 08:51 Verno

What a bizarre acquisition, no idea what to make of this.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2014, 12:17 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 11:49:
On a continuation of yesterday - one person mentioned headphone setup while significant other was sleeping.

Anyone else use that setup? I would like to watch tv/game while using headphones at night when kid and wife are asleep. Any suggestions for that?

Setup, required hardware, kits, etc... thanks!

(all of my tvs are current LCDs or LEDs with HDMI and all that fun stuff - currently my 2 receivers and sound systems are dead. )

New receiver with headphone out, they are super cheap these days. Failing that hopefully your TV has a few old RCA audio outs and you can hook up to those with an adapter. If you only have a toslink out then you can get a little $20 DAC box and hook up to that. Wireless headphones are largely garbage so I would avoid those.

News Comments > Diablo III Reaper of Souls Launches; Future Plans Outlined
18. Re: Diablo III Reaper of Souls Launches; Future Plans Outlined Mar 25, 2014, 12:05 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 11:34:
How come no one is talking about how flawless this was?

Going by the official forums it wasn't flawless but regardless it's an expansion launch by a big company so it should just sort of be assumed that they can do it properly. Conditioning from previous poor launches and companies like EA has established a poor norm.

News Comments > Diablo III Reaper of Souls Launches; Future Plans Outlined
6. Re: Diablo III Reaper of Souls Launches; Future Plans Outlined Mar 25, 2014, 10:46 Verno

Pigeon wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 10:35:
I'm going to wait on grabbing this, having fun leveling paragon and grabbing loot atm. It's shocking, I kill things and loot drops that I actually have to think about as a viable replacement to current gear. Also changed up to an Archon/Beam of doom build and finding killing things much easier.

Yeah same here, gonna wait and see how people feel after the honeymoon period is over. I like the changes they made in 2.0 but a few of the reviews I read this morning said that Adventure mode is kind of a letdown compared to rifts. I hear a lot of mixed stuff about the Crusader too. Hopefully some owners can weigh in on these things.

News Comments > PC Battlefield 4 Naval Strike Delayed
3. Re: PC Battlefield 4 Naval Strike Delayed Mar 25, 2014, 10:16 Verno

Whiskers wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 09:23:
Can't say I'm really surprised. I still enjoy BF4, but damn, they have some of the worst QA I've ever seen. Every patch just introduces new issues. I don't remember BF3 having nearly as many problems.

Maybe we'll get another month of free battlepacks!

The hilarious thing is when they reintroduce older bugs that were already fixed, has happened several times already.

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Mar 24, 2014, 16:02 Verno

I don't know, reading further into that he says the game itself is a ton of fun once you get past the tutorial levels and the ports issues.  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2014, 14:19 Verno

Fantaz wrote on Mar 24, 2014, 13:32:
i dont know about Astro A40 headsets, if they're really worth $250 for a gaming headset.

You're basically paying for the amp and marketing IMO. I had to disassemble my buddys A40s since they were busted out of warranty and he was broke. I wasn't very impressed with the build quality and the sound isn't very good either. The best headset thats also reasonably priced for its components and works well with glasses are the Siberia V2s. I think he'd be better off with a nice set of plush pads from something like the Audio-Technica line but the Siberias are certainly much cheaper.

Blues situation is a bit weird though since I just noticed he said he doesn't care about sound since he might be using speakers anyway so really any old $20 around the neck headset or earbud mic would do the job.

had SR80s but unfortunately they died after cable connection was loose and sound stopped coming out of one ear.

If you ever run into this again and have a soldering iron, it's usually caused by a pulled wire or cheap solder and easy to fix.

This comment was edited on Mar 24, 2014, 14:29.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 24, 2014, 12:11 Verno

Fantaz wrote on Mar 24, 2014, 11:14:
I don't know why Sony didn't make PS4 at least backwards compatible with PS3 PSN releases. just complicates things more.

For the same reason the Xbox One games on XBL aren't backwards compatible with Xbox 360 digital releases - completely different CPU architecture.

News Comments > Diablo III Reaper of Souls Launch Party
20. Re: Diablo III Reaper of Souls Launch Party Mar 24, 2014, 12:08 Verno

Darks wrote on Mar 24, 2014, 10:20:
Verno wrote on Mar 24, 2014, 10:09:
Not to be debbie downer either but the buzz around the Crusader class wasn't very good in beta. Supposedly very slow and underpowered compared to other classes. Some of their loot seems to have the 1.0 design mentality too "remove X crappy downside from Y ability" instead of doing something really cool.

I'll be anxious to hear what people here think of them once they get into Torment. After playing a Wizard it is really hard to play anything else, they are just too damned good.

Iím off work tomorrow so Iíll be on tonight since Iím west coast. My plan is to play the Crusader all the way through tonight and get up tomorrow and finish it off. Since I play a Monk and a Barb, I will give you the feedback youíre looking for.

Yeah please do, I'd appreciate it. I'm sure Blizzard will address any problems it has over time but I'm really iffy on how much I want this expansion right now. Let us know how the new act is too!

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2014, 10:32 Verno

canuck wrote on Mar 24, 2014, 10:13:
I'd recommend some nice Sennheisers. I use the the HD 598's with just a cheesey clip on mic that I leave on the desk and it works great. Almost all the gaming headphones are terrible quality. Sennheisers are usually more expensive, but my last pair lasted for 10 years and were still going strong, they just started to wear our and I wanted some new ones.

Yeah these are nice too. I've got a pair of older 595s I use for my home theater stuff when my GF is sleeping.

5. Re: Diablo III Reaper of Souls Launch Party Mar 24, 2014, 10:09 Verno

Not to be debbie downer either but the buzz around the Crusader class wasn't very good in beta. Supposedly very slow and underpowered compared to other classes. Some of their loot seems to have the 1.0 design mentality too "remove X crappy downside from Y ability" instead of doing something really cool.

I'll be anxious to hear what people here think of them once they get into Torment. After playing a Wizard it is really hard to play anything else, they are just too damned good.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2014, 09:50 Verno

Is there a budget? I'm no audiophile but gamer gear type stuff is almost universally awful and overpriced for the components. I would recommend you get some Audio-Technica headphones (M50x, M50 and AD700s are nice) and just slap a ModMic on the side, great sound and a good mic. I use the ATH-A700s but I think they're discontinued. You pay a bit more but you get better quality and it will last a lot longer than some gamergear headset. The difference in sound between my old gamer headset and my new setup is night and day.

If you really want that gamer gear style stuff then Steelseries (Siberia line) makes some decent headsets with retractable mics. I wouldn't recommend paying more than $100 for the Siberia V2s though.

This comment was edited on Mar 24, 2014, 10:10.

3. Re: Diablo III Reaper of Souls Launch Party Mar 24, 2014, 09:43 Verno

I think I'm gonna sit out release week since the servers are usually pooched and see how reviews shake out. I've been enjoying Diablo 3 again which is nice but the same time Adventure/Bounties would need to go really far to keep me playing. Combat is super fun but I just find myself bored with the games systems after some paragon farming.

So yeah, gonna wait and see what people have to say about the length/quality of act 5, how the Crusader is and how bounties affect long term play.

News Comments > Diablo III Double XP Weekend
57. Re: Diablo III Double XP Weekend Mar 23, 2014, 00:30 Verno

Thanks for the build man, I will give it a shot tomorrow. Appreciate it!  

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Rumor Extravaganza
12. Re: Far Cry 4 Rumor Extravaganza Mar 21, 2014, 23:59 Verno

I'd like to see less rambling, incoherent stories out of Ubisoft games and more emphasis on depth in gameplay mechanics. Far Cry 3 was super fun for the first few hours then gets old really fast with a typical Ubisoft story that long overstays its welcome.  

News Comments > Diablo III Double XP Weekend
30. Re: Diablo III Double XP Weekend Mar 21, 2014, 23:56 Verno

Someone forgot to take their meds, good grief what a fucking stupid derail.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 April 2014 Feature Pack
9. Re: Guild Wars 2 April 2014 Feature Pack Mar 21, 2014, 14:42 Verno

Keilun wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 00:32:
Creston wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 21:22:
Oh well, we'll see what happens. I wish Anet had guys as good at developing systems as they have guys who are good at developing content.

Completely agreed. My gf and I have stopped playing GW2 lately because of the poor systems. For me, I have the biggest beef with their living world, skill system, ascended gear and skins.

Living world has been pretty much a grind fest of achievements. It's okay the first time (if you manage a bug free experience, QA?), but after that, they want you to grind the same events at least 5 times over to receive your participation award. Most events ultimately wind up being the same zerg fest you see with the rest of the game, it's pretty uninspiring. I'll admit that the closest they've come to something entertaining was the clockwork puppet boss event in Lornar's Pass.

I've never been a fan of the same restrictive 5 skills per weapon. I'd like a bit more customization than having an offhand weapon set to swap to to open up new weapon skills. Some weapons are plain garbage which exacerbates the problem. Their proposed solution in dev right now? Open up class restriction on weapons... Not exactly the right solution...

Yeah I was a big fan of the skill system at first but its worn on me, particularly when so many weapons are poorly balanced. It's weird how they're so great at producing rapid content updates but for balance related stuff their pace is glacial.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 21, 2014, 14:36 Verno

No you pretty much misread it start to finish.

As for twitch itself, I like the service but the lack of archival on the PS4 broadcasts is pretty annoying. I know its being updated in a firmware revision soon though.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Announced
6. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Announced Mar 21, 2014, 14:35 Verno

NegaDeath wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 14:18:
I enjoyed 4 for all the naval stuff and shanties it brought, but I'm really really tired of the on foot stuff. I don't think I can stomach climbing a viewpoint for the millionth time. Or a follow mission.

Agreed. It's just old at this point. I think the French Revolution is a great period of history for a game but at this point I'm pretty far into franchise fatigue. Without the naval combat to prop it up I doubt I would be interested in more of the same. I'd like to see some dramatic changes to several areas of the game. With 800 people working on these things you would think they could do more than the repetitive stuff we've been seeing.

15513 Comments. 776 pages. Viewing page 34.
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo