Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 14971 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 5, 2013, 09:33 Verno

Sports is the hardest thing to replace when cord cutting and really once that wall is busted cable TV is in deep shit.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Starbound Beta Details
4. Re: Starbound Beta Details Dec 5, 2013, 09:32 Verno

InBlack wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 09:19:
What is it like? (I have never played Terraria)

There isn't really anything else to compare it to if you haven't played Terraria. A 2d Minecraft/Zelda game with open world mechanics is the best I can come up with. This has infinite worlds to explore/settle too. Go play Terraria, it's awesome and it will prepare you for some aspects of this

News Comments > Starbound Beta Details
2. Re: Starbound Beta Details Dec 5, 2013, 09:14 Verno

I had an ok time with it last night but man the early game stuff needs adjustment, the difficulty is a bit absurd at times. Oh well still early beta days.  

News Comments > Windows/Xbox Convergence Coming?
70. Re: Windows/Xbox Convergence Coming? Dec 5, 2013, 08:39 Verno

Redmask wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 08:04:
Don't expect people to say great things about the operating system when its most visible feature is nearly hostile to the input methods they use on a daily basis and doesn't really conform in any significant ways to traditional ways they've used the machine. People are willing to learn but only if there is a benefit to doing so.

Exactly well put.

Things Metro does well:

- search and launch
- info tiles are sort of neat

Things Metro does poorly:

- Mouse use is a nightmare
- Multitasking is very limited
- Preset snap sizes
- Fullscreen takeovers are jarring for users
- Lack of meaningful interaction between Metro and the Desktop
- inability to use many learned Windows interface shortcuts and tricks
- Wasted screen space on huge sections of single fill gradients
- No use of transparency or other effects to help any of the above

Metro basically throws out the baby with the bathwater but doesn't give anything back to the user. It's asking people to just accept it for Microsofts sake, not their own.

Ideally there should be no "metro mode" and "desktop mode", they should co-exist and interact. Asking people to use two radically different user interfaces inside of the same program is a design failure in my opinion.

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Dec 4, 2013, 14:47 Verno

Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 13:59:

Me squash smart sounding words together, make seem much smart! Ook!

Yeah that was my take on it too, I felt like I had stepped into a Neal Stephenson book.

46. Re: Windows/Xbox Convergence Coming? Dec 4, 2013, 13:49 Verno

BitWraith wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 13:23:
This is, I think, why the hate confuses me so much. My daily computing life just didn't change all that much from the switch. 99% of the time, my desktop looks no different.

Mine didn't either, largely because I avoid using the new ecosystem since it has very poor interop between it and the rest of Windows. The best thing I can say about it is that it's a better app launcher if you just want to hit start and type which isn't exactly high praise. That's sort of the point though, the biggest feature of the OS iteration isn't desirable to most users. It's not that people are just hating the change for the sake of it so much as people simply do not like Metro.

I also find it funny that Microsoft is accused of dumbing down their OS to the point that chimps can use it, and yet Windows 8 seems to have flummoxed all the hardcore IT nerds out there. Their plan for this overly-complicated OS Microsoft has forced on them? Switch to Linux? Your solution for the complication of Windows 8 is to switch to Linux?

That's a big straw man though. Most of my "apps" these days live in the web, I run very few desktop applications outside of games and the ones I do run are largely cross platform. So I don't really need Windows for anything and I'm open to trying new things, particularly free solutions that don't cost money like Windows does.

News Comments > More Battlefield 4 Issues
15. Re: More Battlefield 4 Issues Dec 4, 2013, 13:32 Verno

My buddy with premium tells me the DLC isn't very good and seems pretty low effort. No serious levolution (what a dumb word), little to no destructibility except in middle points of a few maps and lots of imbalance in high ground vs low. Sounds like cherry picking the good DLC instead of Premium is the way to go.  

26. Re: Windows/Xbox Convergence Coming? Dec 4, 2013, 12:18 Verno

Bundy wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 11:54:
I guess it all depends on your experience with it. I installed it last year, had no trouble finding the shut down button, didn't really care if I booted into metro. I knew where all my installed apps were and I was thankful to be rid of the start menu, frankly. Programs would create folders there and wouldn't remove them when they were uninstalled. And they always wanted to install themselves under their company name as root, instead of the program name so it was a pain finding them if u couldnt remember who made the damn thing. In the end i'd just make a desktop shortcut anyway.

They would have been better off integrating with the task bar, it's something Windows users love and know. People like to paint users as hating any change but it didn't really stop anyone from adopting things like tablets and smartphones. The reality is more that there isn't much of a benefit or upside to the change Metro and its ecosystem introduce.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Dec 4, 2013, 10:43 Verno

Sure I'd love to see a better return policy on digital products, I was just amused by the bizarre terminology  

12. Re: Windows/Xbox Convergence Coming? Dec 4, 2013, 10:42 Verno

Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 10:31:
Over the last few months, all my favorite game devs have announced future support for SteamOS. I'll wait a few months after launch for the bugs to settle down, then I'm jumping ship. All of the old games I might want to fire up are dx9 and will run in WINE.

Yeah I'm stoked about SteamOS. I don't think SteamBox will go anywhere big, Valve already said they're just doing it to fill a niche and experiment. SteamOS on the other hand is very promising, I'm really tired of paying for Microsoft products in general given how they've treated customers over the past 5 years.

8. Re: Windows/Xbox Convergence Coming? Dec 4, 2013, 10:24 Verno

Bundy wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 10:13:
A single app store would still be nice. I dont want to buy a game on my phone and if I want to play it on my PC or tablet, pay for it again.

The problem with that is that I don't have any particular want or need for Metro apps on any platform, let alone 3. I also don't want all desktop applications pushed into this as it eliminates a lot of their strengths.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Dec 4, 2013, 10:18 Verno

Optional Nickname! wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 09:50:
Valve, a profit driven crypto-fascist syndicate

Errr ooooooook

News Comments > Out of the Blue
47. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2013, 09:58 Verno

Ahumado wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 09:52:
I posted sound and solid advice for Blue I just didn't sugar coat it and I get bullied. Pay attention you will all be better for it.

"bullied" aww you poor wittle guy! People should be more tolerant of your rude internet machismo. I'm sure "suck it up" never occurred to him at all, that wisdom you're tossing out is really worthwhile.

News Comments > More Battlefield 4 Issues
3. Re: More Battlefield 4 Issues Dec 4, 2013, 09:55 Verno

It really annoys me that they're not only shipping DLC before fixing some pretty glaring problems in the game but also introducing even more bugs into the equation.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
8. Re: etc., etc. Dec 4, 2013, 09:13 Verno

BitWraith wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 08:57:

Well if they're going to rip off someone's face, how about we get some Scarlett Johanson's on the mix.

I don't think they ripped off her face but they did change it to closer reflect the voice actress anyway.

Scarlett is overrated IMO, one of those makeup beauties

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Dec 4, 2013, 08:55 Verno

BitWraith wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 08:42:
She was pretty pissed off about her likeness being used without her permission.

She isn't exactly the most unique looking woman in the world.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 4, 2013, 08:54 Verno

Finding Xbox One this Holiday Season.

Err it's in stock pretty much everywhere around here. I can walk into any big box store and get it if I want one.

News Comments > Path of Exile Status, Packs, and Patch
22. Re: Path of Exile Status, Packs, and Patch Dec 3, 2013, 15:34 Verno

Creston wrote on Dec 3, 2013, 15:27:
What is /oos?

Out of Sync, forces a resync with the server. Path of Exile has this issue where you get desynced from the server and unpredictable things happen, typically the server thinks you're in one area getting hit by mobs when the client is displaying its somewhere else to the user. It's lead to many unnecessary deaths.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
34. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 3, 2013, 15:22 Verno

Titanfall looks legit good and that's why I'll get it on the PC  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2013, 15:17 Verno

Ahumado wrote on Dec 3, 2013, 14:05:
Time to man up Blue. Your persistent crying is old and feminine. If you didn't want more attention for yourself you would have just wrote it and kept it to yourself. Let everyone move on. I have loved all my dogs as much as you loved Hudson but I didn't milk it for attention when they died

I'm sure he really gives a shit about internet attention. If you're too introverted to understand the grieving process then at least be quiet and let him do his thing, he asks nothing of you for this website.

14971 Comments. 749 pages. Viewing page 34.
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo