Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 15511 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III XP Bonus
44. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Apr 6, 2014, 17:43 Verno

Redmask wrote on Apr 6, 2014, 16:34:
Crusader Talk

I agree that they are pretty flawed right now but I think with some tweaks they could be great. They need higher mobility or the same 30% damage resist that the other melee classes get though. I picked up a really nice legendary that transformed mine from bad to decent but it still feels really slow and weird overall.

Changes and stuff:

- Make the 2H passive innate and remove the movement slow
- Completely redesign several abilities and runes, some of the laws and abilities like Consecrate are embarrassing
- Buff the wrath generators and their respective runes
- The passives need another go, a good half of them are brutal
- Make shields block some of non-physical damage that make melee hard to play

I wouldn't mind seeing them do something else with Blessed Hammer too, its very effective but the wind up time on getting them out there means something like a Wizard would've already cleared the screen.

They are fine at lower difficulties but at Torment I can't really say I care for mine. I am highly dependent on the Judgement - Resolved rune for my damage in Torment groups which as you said is bound to be hit with a the nerfbat, its giving people +100% crit which obliterates packs. Getting the 3 beam Heavens Fury legendary helped a lot but I feel like my build is completely rigid and that they aren't any real alternatives.

Nothing they can't fix but they have a lot of work to do. I went back to my Wizard for grouping in the meantime, I think they should put the guy who did Wizards in charge of every class. They have so many great builds and options, almost everything is useful in some way except maybe Energy Twister. If they can bring the Crusader up to that level I'll be very happy.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
8. Re: RE: Follow up Apr 4, 2014, 14:43 Verno

Kitkoan wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 22:43:
I've heard different answers from different groups, but when you look at the hard numbers you notice that the ones that state that iOS gave them more money was when they made really piss-poor ports to Android and then wondered why the money wasn't just pouring in.

I'm sure that's happened but I don't agree with your generalization that its all of them or something. It's a very common complaint from companies that they are expected to maintain an Android version of their apps when it doesn't generate anywhere near the revenue that the iOS version does. I run Android and buy my apps so whatever but it is difficult to ignore all of the feedback from devs and companies about it dude

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 4, 2014, 13:26 Verno

dj LiTh wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 13:03:
Verno wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 12:50:
I've sideloaded some stuff on it already including XBMC. There is a small playback bug but one of the XBMC devs is working on it. Great little unit but its still very early, I would a few months for things to mature. Only disappointment so far is that Netflix results arent included in the voice search but hopefully that changes. Voice search itself is very accurate, much better than the Xbox One stuff I tried awhile ago. I loaded up Plex as well for a bit, the skin they use for it is way better than the one on my Roku 3. They say the USB port isn't working but I had a keyboard/mouse combo working on it. I was able to get some stuff off my NAS but oddly the USB external drive I tried plugging in didn't work correctly, I have to see if its mounting properly. I haven't experienced any stuttering with DirectPlay from Plex, everything (1080p mkv/etc) worked fine with no dropped frames.

Thing is blazing fast, no slowdown or other issues. When I get home tonight I'll be testing out its codec/format support in more depth.

Thanks Verno, really appreciate the review. Did you sideload Gotham XBMC or Frodo? I've heard conflicting things saying that frodo works but Gotham doesnt etc. Good to hear about Plex working smoothly (though i'm so ingrained /w xbmc its hard for me to ever ponder switching). Also what about DTS audio experience?

I'm going to test DTS passthru and all that tonight when I get off work and get the kid down. I wouldn't get one right now until things are more ironed out. I put 12.3 on there for awhile but it had no Mediacodec support for GPU acceleration so I swapped to a Gotham nightly that one of the devs hacked together quickly. I think its a pretty promising device overall though. I don't mind Plex but it reminds me too much of Netflix, I prefer XBMC with the Ace or Rapier skins so that's what I'll be focused on over the few next few days even if it means hacking it together myself.

As a media streamer its already easily the top one, moreso if they get HBO Go on there which they say is coming soon. Plex for local content works fine in my experience, I made sure nothing was being transcoded too. For XBMC things are still in the hacky stages so I'd wait a bit.

I'm still waiting to see if Logitech will ever issue an update to support this for my Harmony Smart Control hub too.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 4, 2014, 12:50 Verno

I've sideloaded some stuff on it already including XBMC. There is a small playback bug but one of the XBMC devs is working on it. Great little unit but its still very early, I would a few months for things to mature. Only disappointment so far is that Netflix results arent included in the voice search but hopefully that changes. Voice search itself is very accurate, much better than the Xbox One stuff I tried awhile ago. I loaded up Plex as well for a bit, the skin they use for it is way better than the one on my Roku 3. They say the USB port isn't working but I had a keyboard/mouse combo working on it. I was able to get some stuff off my NAS but oddly the USB external drive I tried plugging in didn't work correctly, I have to see if its mounting properly. I haven't experienced any stuttering with DirectPlay from Plex, everything (1080p mkv/etc) worked fine with no dropped frames.

Thing is blazing fast, no slowdown or other issues. When I get home tonight I'll be testing out its codec/format support in more depth.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
57. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 4, 2014, 10:39 Verno

Mad Max RW wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 10:34:
Quboid wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 10:27:
Unless he donated or voted for Prop 8, or any equivalent, he's done nothing remotely hypocritical.

By not speaking out against OKCupid's bullying tactics to suppress freedom of speech while touting equality versus tyranny, that makes him and others like him a hypocrite. Again, I don't agree with the guy donating $1,000 of his own money to Prop 8, but it is his right to do so. Both parties acted like scumbags, however demonizing one and ignoring the other because you agree with their stance is very much hypocritical.

Slow down there fella. No one had their "free speech" suppressed and this has nothing to do with the constitution. Making an argument to support bigotry with free speech is pretty spurious anyway. People are free to use their business to pursue political messages if they want, personally I think its bad for business but that's their right. Much the same way people are free to not use Mozilla products if they don't like what the CEO represents.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2014, 10:10 Verno

Yeah agreed, Letterman was always way more interesting. Leno was just more safe and palatable, he played well to retirees especially. Leno never really pissed anyone off the way, well except for Conan fans  

41. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 4, 2014, 09:26 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 01:48:
Mad Max RW wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 23:40:
It seems like the bigger story people are ignoring here is how the IRS leaked the information about his tax returns to a gay advocacy group. An actual illegal act being hidden behind a distraction.

I hadn't heard that. Links?

Googling it gives me a circular set of links based around a religious blog with an obvious angle and a lawsuit that hasn't been decided. I can't draw a direct connection from one event to the other based on the sources.

News Comments > Elder Scrolls Online Launch Prep
31. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Launch Prep Apr 4, 2014, 08:59 Verno

Darks wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 19:15:
I'm fine with people like you not liking the game, but why is it you all need to reiterate that fact in the forums a hundred times over?

You should probably apologize, I don't think I've ever seen him even post in one of these threads. He didn't comment on the quality of the game either.

News Comments > GameSpy Shutting Down Services
47. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 4, 2014, 08:54 Verno

Scott Kevill wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 05:48:
As far as I know, no one has any tears for the GameSpy tech itself. It's more that the tech was forced as the only way to play some of these games online. It's the loss of multiplayer for these games that is being mourned.

Yep exactly. This affects everything from BF1942/BF2 to Ghost Recon to Tribes to cd auth for many old titles. Covers 2001 to present. That's some serious shit, people making light of the dumb client are really missing the bigger picture. The client has been crap for as long as I can remember but these guys did a ton of backend hosting for the industry that went unnoticed by customers.

17. Re: Anti-Gay Firefox Chief Brendan Eich Quits Days After OkCupid Backlash Apr 3, 2014, 21:55 Verno

Bill Borre wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 21:43:
I thought we lived in a country where the constitution afforded protections to minorities, not one where a minority utilizes the legal system to tyrannize the majority.

Who says he is a majority. The constitution has zero involvement here, he lost his job, he didnt go to prison. No one involved used the legal system either. Your response is completely disconnected from what actually took place.

11. Re: Anti-Gay Firefox Chief Brendan Eich Quits Days After OkCupid Backlash Apr 3, 2014, 19:58 Verno

Prez wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 18:35:
I am all for equal treatment under the law for gay people and I am glad the ban on gay marriage in question failed, but I think this is stupid. This man has a right to donate to whatever causes he wants. He did not bring his personal views into the workplace at all; why is he being forced out of his job over this? I believe this is wrong.

He's free to donate to whatever causes he wants the same as people are free to not use Mozilla related products because of his views. I don't see a problem with any of this or how it turned out. He chose to support an organization with a public donation and people found out, he couldn't support his position and basically had to step down over something easily avoided.

News Comments > GameSpy Shutting Down Services
10. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 3, 2014, 19:41 Verno

These guys backended a shitload of older games and newer console games. Stuff like the older BF games and whatnot were basically only still running because of lifetime support contracts from Gamespy. This really sucks, I couldn't care less about the old client but losing the backend stuff will mean useless multiplayer in a lot of old games, many which still had people playing them after all these years.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
14. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 3, 2014, 19:36 Verno

I'm still playing with it so I'll post something on the pros/cons and comparisons to other units later. So far I've got some emulators sorta running, XBMC, the voice search is extremely good and I've tested some of the apps. I'm trying to map out what it can and can't do tonight. Really cool little box so far but if you have a Roku, PS4, etc then you don't need to rush out and get one or something. This is more aimed at people who are upgrading from older hardware or who don't have a media STB. The biggest benefit is the path to running local media looks much better, much faster hardware/app performance in general and it could potentially run anything Android can which opens up a lot of possibilities.

Right now its still really early though so getting custom stuff running will be a crapshoot, I wouldn't pick one up unless you just need a new media streamer. Bleeding edge and all that

This comment was edited on Apr 3, 2014, 19:52.

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 3, 2014, 17:45 Verno

Nope there is nothing wrong with the unit, I've just used better hardware so I have a frame of reference. Compared to the Roku 2 it's a big step up but adequate is as far I would go describing it. Anyways whatever to the basement it goes, just testing out the FireTV now, ridiculously fast so far. Looks like it will take sideloaded Android APKs so this thing will be pretty great.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: RE: Follow up Apr 3, 2014, 16:38 Verno

UConnBBall wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 16:09:
I also hate Apple and hate lazy devlopers who are just kissing money good-bye. Port it to Android and not the 12% market share iOS.

The 12% iOS share represents the majority of revenue is the problem we keep hearing from developers though. I don't know if this is piracy, device fragmentation or whatever but they make a lot more money on iOS unfortunately.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance
12. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance Apr 3, 2014, 16:25 Verno

Holy shit that is....awful  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Advanced Edition
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Advanced Edition Apr 3, 2014, 16:09 Verno

Loved this so much, had a blast with my crazy rockman runs.  

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 3, 2014, 15:16 Verno

Axis wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 14:58:
The Roku 3 is not sluggish in the least, all depends on what is loading and how you are networked. I have everything hardwired and streamlined though.

Nope I have mine hardwired and I would not call it a smooth experience in some of the channels (the ones that work, Roku has a ton of throwaway ones). Just even navigating the Netflix app isn't as responsive as my PS4. This has the same processor as a Nexus 4 so at the minimum it's going to be a more powerful Roku and Amazon's ecosystem is relatively open. You can run XBMC on one of the other Fires which uses FireOS so I likely won't even need Plex, though this looks to even have a superior Plex skin in case I decide to.

This lets me move the Roku to the basement where my workout equipment is so its win win. Better hardware, same if not better software support and Amazon is pretty good with product support. Its been delivered apparently too, now the wait til work is over wheeee!

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 3, 2014, 14:27 Verno

You still need store approval so good luck getting emulators and VLC type stuff on the Xbone. Pointless.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
14. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 3, 2014, 13:18 Verno

The implementation looks ok I guess, I still think that guy on Youtube did the best mockup, they should have hired him.  

15511 Comments. 776 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo