Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 15508 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2014, 13:08 Verno

Cutter wrote on Jul 16, 2014, 12:13:
Wonder what the cost will be on that new Tesla, still 50k at least I'd imagine.

Supposedly they're shooting for $35,000.00 USD which is almost reaching the realm of reasonable. I have no idea how Tesla holds its value or how much the maintenance is but cars in general are pretty terrible assets so I am loathe to spend more than 30k for anything brand new. The savings on fuel sounds very worthwhile but I'm weary of the electricity rates being jacked up as a result of any widespread adoption.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Neil Gaiman's Wayward Manor
3. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Neil Gaiman's Wayward Manor Jul 16, 2014, 11:46 Verno

Gaimans kind of in a rut creatively but I am always interested in checking out his stuff. That said the reviews for this are not at all kind so I think I will stick to other games.  

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Patch Introduces AI Personalities
25. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Patch Introduces AI Personalities Jul 16, 2014, 11:44 Verno

PHJF wrote on Jul 16, 2014, 08:37:
Except for the boss fight, the whole first area was pretty easy for me. Jahar has ice elemental now, and one of my PCs can call either spider or fire elemental. It seems enemies prefer targeting whatever is closest (which is usually my summons) rather than actually doing something intelligent like, say, filling my poor mage's face with arrows.

Yeah the AI is fairly predictable, I usually just LOS their archers/casters with a spider or elemental then teleport them next to Madora who murders them.

The difficulty is more if you wander off their intended progression path due to the level differences. Also the game is pretty unforgiving about mistakes with stat distro in the early parts. One point of speed can be a big deal.

News Comments > Sims 2 Support Ending
5. Re: Sims 2 Support Ending Jul 16, 2014, 10:57 Verno

Yeah that's surprisingly generous for EA.  

News Comments > Firefall Early Access
9. Re: Firefall Early Access Jul 16, 2014, 09:53 Verno

SXO wrote on Jul 16, 2014, 08:37:
Wetworks24 wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 20:35:
Firefall is actually fun and has a lot of things going for it. Unfortunately, the content in beta was very limited. It was mostly farming thumper missions all day. Hopefully they've added enough content for the release to keep players happy for a while.
I can concur with this. I was in the first closed beta for the game, and the gameplay itself was incredibly fun, but pretty soon you would realize the only thing to do in PvE is thumper farming. I lost interest when I learned that their focus was actually PvP eSports, which is a far cry from the epic PvE scenario they showed off at PAX in 2010.

They've since backtracked (yet again) on that and are trying to pump out PVE content. I can't speak to the quality though since its been forever since I played.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2014, 09:28 Verno

Only growth market left there is women, not surprised Marvel went that route.

I'd love to get excited about consumer priced Tesla but the past few years I've noticed some oil corps have been investing heavily into other energy companies. I suspect I'll be paying the same to travel whether its electricity or gas since these guys have the buying power to ensure they are always the supplier.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
50. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 15, 2014, 22:19 Verno

Wetworks24 wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 22:09:
The strategy remains the same whether there are waves or not.

In the first game I used terrain to my advantage, I was able to actually prepare for combat and run enemies through traps and there were many other features. Sure you could blow the house down with mages if you wanted to but there was plenty of other ways to go about combat. In DA2 I can't do any meaningful preparation before a fight, use the (sporadic) terrain or any number of factors due to the wave based system. It is very limiting and makes the combat tedious as hell.

You can use whatever label you like for it but waves sucked. Maybe they would be better with stronger map and battle design, I don't know but in DA2 they sucked and made fights less strategic and more tedious. If they are a large feature of the third game I am not buying it.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
48. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 15, 2014, 21:21 Verno

Wetworks24 wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 17:59:
Pause combat, move your characters around when the new waves comes. Come up with a new battle plan and then execute it. It's not that hard. Yes, waves do make the combat more difficult and some people do not like it. But it's not fair to say that it takes tactics out of DA2.

More tedious, not more difficult. I have to agree with Jerykk and the others, the inserted waves mid-combat actually prevents real strategic play. Instead it focuses on repetitive reaction based play where you are holding back constantly and/or reloading on higher difficulties because the game is essentially loading the deck. It is bad design and not very challenging or enjoyable.

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Jul 15, 2014, 21:09 Verno

Axis wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 20:37:
I was there at the time and it sold well. Here's a great start of your proof adventure. I incorrectly assumed any "console players" would know where to find this kind of stuff. Go ahead compare it to all kinds of DLC's, have fun.

Many people were around back then, it wasn't even 10 years ago. Of course it "sold", any DLC sells a number beyond one, its how much it sold that matters. There are no sales figures on it so any assumption is likely flawed. Your link isn't proof, its a marketplace listing sorted by unknown quantity. Horse armor is #8 behind such items as Spell Tomes (lol) and Mehrunes Razor. It's also the oldest DLC so if anything it should be #1 if it was a high seller but really no one knows because there are no sales figures to go by.

Again though not sure why you are focusing on that point. There are many other examples of impulse purchase behavior from the console market IMO, particularly when you look at the play counts on multiplayer DLC vs actual sales. The problem with blaming the console market is that there is a shitload of that behavior in the PC space as well. The whole PC gaming is dying thing gets old I agree but its forum war argument stuff that no one really takes seriously.

DLC in general is kind of crappy regardless of platform, there are some exceptions but overall its a concept that has only really panned out for the industrys pocketbooks IMO.

I can guaranteed I've owned more consoles than most of you.

I don't know why you would think that, this is a website with an older crowd as its core audience. If anything its a safe assumption that most people here probably predate some of your own experiences in one respect or another.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2014, 21:17.

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Jul 15, 2014, 16:14 Verno

Axis wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 15:56:
Horse armor was mocked to hell by PC gamers, grumbled at the price by consolites, and sold well despite on console - it was a very "in your face" example of bullshit DLC's in general which woke a few up, but only a few.

Nah that sounds like personal assumption trying to masquerade as fact, I don't remember any specific console figures ever being released and more importantly google can't seem to find any either. Its actually more logical to assume the opposite considering many companies are heavily criticized but don't cease tactics that make them money. Any time a company can get away with meaningless cosmetics at a high price its no surprise they do that for as long as possible.

I don't know why you guys were arguing about it anyway, pretty much everyone agrees it was shitty DLC regardless of platform. I don't care if it sold 1 copy or 10000, all of them were bonehead sales.

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Jul 15, 2014, 14:50 Verno

Yeah I agree with JD, horse armor was widely mocked and sold very poorly which is probably why they went onto other things. If they had success with the path of least resistance they likely would have kept doing it.

Not that it really matters, there are plenty of bad DLC examples these days to use. As someone else mentioned most DLC is outsourced or cutting room material, there are exceptions but I think its a raw deal for the most part.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 15, 2014, 13:31 Verno

It was a joke about its viability being limited to low cost markets

Cost was their big advantage but there are finally decent low end Android sets thanks to hardware trickle down so I don't expect that uptake to continue. I don't see Cortana really changing anything at this point, far too late to market. I'm all for competition, Microsoft just needs to give people a reason to choose their offering over the competition who have essentially the same or better operating systems combined with larger app offerings. They need to pick something to specialize in and do that rather than always playing catch up. The margins in the phone game are coming down anyway so its all about market share and setting up other markets and product tie-ins.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2014, 13:45.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jul 15, 2014, 12:08 Verno

Its fine to say don't buy it but the author is at least trying to examine the situation and see why it continues to proliferate despite its often negative connotations. It really goes without saying "dont buy it if you dont like it" but unfortunately you're not the only person in the market so sometimes it helps to get a bit more in depth on these things.

The value proposition on most DLC tends to be very unfavorable so I rarely purchase any but it hasn't stopped the market from advancing significantly. Often times its the worst offenders that sell the most DLC too which is puzzling. It seems primed to take advantage of impulse buyers. Much like game completion stats are totally out of whack, I would wager the number of people who actually play the DLC content they purchase to be quite small.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2014, 10:23 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 09:30:
Thursday. Smoking day. Bison, hens, sausages, and a brisket. Can't wait!

Sounds good man, let me know how the bison turns out, one of the few things I haven't smoked yet.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 15, 2014, 10:22 Verno

24 municipalities in Brazil

A few of the devs at our office said its actually declining again according to some analysts. The app situation doesn't seem any better since the last time I checked it out too. I've evaluated it several times and every time I can't find anything it does better than an Android phone. I haven't seen the latest iOS yet so no clue how they compare.

News Comments > Mass Effect 4 Survey
7. Re: Mass Effect 4 Survey Jul 15, 2014, 10:18 Verno

The hatewave roiling off this thread is impressive.  

44. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2014, 09:25 Verno

BobBob wrote on Jul 14, 2014, 01:28:
It's not good to support Nazis. Bad stuff. I seriously doubt he's an apologist.

No, I don't have a link handy but someone linked a thread a few weeks ago where he was doing exactly that.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 15, 2014, 08:45 Verno

Cutter wrote on Jul 14, 2014, 20:16:
Wow, first the Minecraft Con con and now this scam. This and all the other crowdfunding scams - which is only getting much larger and much worse - is going to kill crowdfunding in short order. I'm done with it.

What Minecraft scam is that exactly? In detail.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Gameplay Trailer
4. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Gameplay Trailer Jul 15, 2014, 08:44 Verno

I am not seeing these big system revamps they're claiming to have made here. Downward traversal is not a big deal and the combat revamp looks nonexistent. The stealth seems interesting but without AI to match why bother? The AC games have terrible AI and this one doesn't look any different in that regard.  

News Comments > West Games/Areal AMA Doesn't Answer All Questions
7. Re: West Games/Areal AMA Doesn't Answer All Questions Jul 14, 2014, 10:42 Verno

bhcompy wrote on Jul 14, 2014, 10:25:
Verno wrote on Jul 14, 2014, 10:23:
Really dubious proposition here, they're developing an engine in-house but can't show any of it off? They can't even provide proof they have the console SDKs required.

Stalker derivative. Console. No.

That was my thought as well but they were all gungho about console releases.

15508 Comments. 776 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo