Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 15987 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Dragon Age - Origins Free on Origin
53. Re: Dragon Age - Origins Free on Origin Oct 10, 2014, 10:19 Verno

Just ignore him guys, hes not worth the time. I rarely see anyone quote him anymore so he only has himself to blame.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > RYSE: Son of Rome Released for PC
7. Re: RYSE: Son of Rome Released for PC Oct 10, 2014, 09:53 Verno

Prez wrote on Oct 10, 2014, 09:39:

Was this on console first? Was it really that bad?

It has a few defenders like anything else on the internet but yes it was that bad. This started out as a Kinect game but when it became clear that doing anything with Kinect is fucking awful they decided to keep going instead of just wisely scrapping the whole project. The good part is the graphics, its a very pretty game. The bad part is pretty much everything else. The combat seems visceral to start but becomes repetitive and shallow quickly. The story is not even worth mentioning.

I suspect people will feel more favorable about it if they go into it with very low expectations and pay less than $15. I only put a few hours into it at a friends place but that was enough to say "ok lets not play this ever again and wheres Forza?".

News Comments > Raven's Cry Delayed; Linux Support Added
1. Re: Raven's Cry Delayed; Linux Support Added Oct 10, 2014, 09:11 Verno

Probably a good idea considering how nuts the release calendar is in late Oct/early Nov.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Oct 10, 2014, 08:37 Verno

Cutter wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 19:22:
That's a long fucking way from a Holodeck.

We can't just skip straight to holodeck technology with nothing in between.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIII Released; Only Supports 720p
25. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIII Released; Only Supports 720p Oct 10, 2014, 08:36 Verno

By far the most boring Final Fantasy game. Unlikeable characters, unrelatable story, badly paced, combat system has no real depth and the shell of a post game they threw in is the highlight. This was a really bad game with good production values.

People tell me 13-2 is better but I can't bring myself to play it after this utter disappointment.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Premium Edition Announced
20. Re: Battlefield 4 Premium Edition Announced Oct 9, 2014, 15:09 Verno

descender wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 13:47:
Priority position in server queues

Do they offer this as a feature to anyone that already owns the game and buys DLC's? Or does it come with the subscription?

I feel like that should be a bigger deal than it is being made out to be... considering how we all feel about "net neutrality" rules and this is basically... the same thing.

I'd be pissed as all hell if I already spent $60 on this game (as if those people weren't pissed off already).

Honestly it doesn't make a big difference because most people just queue and then switch browser tabs to do other things while they wait. Queues are never really big enough for it to be a big deal, you wait an extra 30 seconds sometimes. I agree with you that it should be a bigger deal and I was expecting this to piss me off but in practice it just doesn't matter that much.

General Discussion > NFL Week Six
8. No subject Oct 9, 2014, 14:48 Verno

I'm not doing very well lately due to lack of time to keep up with the injury reports and news with each team. My favorite team (Jets) being so horrible has kinda killed my enthusiasm for the NFL this year, I didn't even watch any games on the weekend  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
33. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2014, 14:13 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 13:56:
It's fine for desktop systems, but it's hard to read and use on mobile.

Yep. There are a lot of older, unused elements in the design too. Blue still seems to edit many aspects of the page by hand when it could be templated to be more efficient and a lot less work for him and he could get help posting stories if need be or whatever. It doesn't need to go through a drastic design shift like Shack did or something but it could definitely use some updating, particularly on the backend too (DB was still using plain text passwords last time I checked). None of that stuff is free though, it requires time, expertise or money which is why a site update Kickstarter is a good idea IMO.

I like the idea of a subscription or at least letting people donate. I am not opposed to ads but due to the security implications I generally do not white list sites. Maybe if Flash dies a horrible death. I've done the Amazon thing a few times, I don't know how much Blue sees from it though. I would much rather just kick in some money once in awhile to help Blue cover costs and buy some beer.

News Comments > The Evil Within > 30 FPS "Not Supported"
55. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 13:57 Verno

NKD wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 13:50:
That test is essentially meaningless, and the people who conducted it listed so many caveats that they seem aware of that as well. For something like investing in an expensive 4k screen, I'd hope people would want to dig a little deeper into what benefits they are really getting.

Oh right it was you. I forgot to ask the other day, are you an optometrist by the way? I asked a friend of mine who works for one and she said it would depend on too many things to really give me a straight answer. As for the link, it needs to be refined to eliminate variables like different panels and processing techniques , source content and so on but I wouldn't call it meaningless. I'd like to see a more formal test with defined parameters but I don't have the time/money to bother with such things. I am doing some digging online though and it looks like people have done blind tests with sets from the same manufacturers, same models with different resolutions.

52. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 13:41 Verno

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 13:37:
Much of the advice as to when the difference in resolution is noticeable is inaccurate. Obviously there is a point at which the difference is indiscernible but if most people couldn't tell then the XB1 and PS4 would both run at 720p. I remember we had similar claims when it came to audio compression, yet audiophiles could tell the difference in blind tests. Like with many things, you won't notice the difference if you're unaware of it but it's apparent when you are.

Yeah I got it from someone else the other day about optometry tests and viewing distances but informal tests seem to indicate people can pick out 4k vs 1080p for example, of course how much detail they actually pick up is hard to pin down. I'm going to start looking for something similar with 720p vs 1080p, I bet its been done.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 9, 2014, 10:51 Verno

Creston wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 10:49:
And by "customize their dashboard" we mean "you can put the ads wherever you want them!"

They've been pretty restrained with the ads so far, no axe body spray or car insurance but it's still early days. The 360 got worse as time went on.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2014, 10:47 Verno

Cutter wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 10:28:
And here we go on Ebola. Now someone has it in Spain. Gee, it's almost like they want a pandemic the way they're letting Ebola carriers into the various countries.

I am totally taking the bait here but oh well. Your attachment to this theory about intentional pandemic is pretty weird, like dude people nervously edge away from at the party kind of strange. They are taking pretty drastic measures which are well documented so the odd oversight in something that first world nations aren't experienced with is understandable. How exactly are they intentionally letting this virus loose? If you want to go the conspiracy route then there are hundreds of easier ways of infecting the populace.

14. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 10:31 Verno

I don't know, I can't get that mad since it seems like they're giving me the options if I want to use them.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
11. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 9, 2014, 10:18 Verno

Those Windows Phone stats are kinda embarrassing.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2014, 09:57 Verno

harlock wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 09:42:
Blue you could do a kickstarter for the website redesign.. ive seen that a few times

People around here get up in arms when you suggest any changes has been my experience when I've brought this up. Never mind the fact that you can keep the same look/feel and update the backend and make it more friendly to modern devices. Change is bad!

But yeah that would be my number one request and I would happily donate money/etc towards it.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2014, 09:39 Verno

Thanks for the great site Blue.  

News Comments > Dragon Age - Origins Free on Origin
38. Re: Dragon Age - Origins Free on Origin Oct 9, 2014, 09:30 Verno

Quboid wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 09:25:
I've never played this before so I don't own any of the DLC anywhere - and they all cost me Bioware Points. Return to Ostagar costs 400 points, which in turn costs £3.00.

Hmm ok, it must just be linking my Origin/Bioware accounts then, sorry!

The Ultimate Edition goes on sale on Steam very often for like $5-10, I would just get that. Make sure you recruit Shale by the way!

News Comments > Shadow of Mordor Review Pressure Allegations
63. Re: Shadow of Mordor Review Pressure Allegations Oct 9, 2014, 09:26 Verno

Great time for it man, Steam Big Picture Mode owns and if you can't have the hardware in the living room then at least a small video decoding device will be fine for in-home streaming which works pretty well.  

News Comments > Star Citizen at $56M; CitizenCon Friday
72. Re: Star Citizen at $56M; CitizenCon Friday Oct 9, 2014, 09:16 Verno

NKD wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 03:29:
Flatline wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 00:47:
Well... one of us hasn't been reading the forums much tonight. That much is obvious.

Reagle can't even remember to take his pills or bury the prostitutes he murders, you expect him to remember the difference between Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen?

o.O

News Comments > etc., etc.
19. Re: etc., etc. Oct 9, 2014, 09:15 Verno

harlock wrote on Oct 8, 2014, 20:00:
found this little gem a few seconds ago:

My pro-Anita response was deleted on the bluesnews.com comments section within an hour.. along with any other pro-Anita posts, however anti-Anita posts were left untouched. Tough to fight information warefare like that, sad thing because Iíve been going to bluesnews.com for over 15 years now, but itís comment sections are pretty much owned by cranky 30-40 male something gamers. This was my first time hearing about any of this, but after my comments were deleted Iím a believer that aggressors are actively at work here.

so which one of you girls got your panties in a bunch over this? hmm?

That's such a load of bollocks, why am I not surprised to see some SJW coward making shit up on another website? Blues is pretty much the most lenient board I've seen short of an anarchist forum, the shit people get away with here would not fly on most other forums.

15987 Comments. 800 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo