Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 17526 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
12. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 25, 2015, 09:02 Verno

People cheat for a lot of reasons and not everyone who used the site was a cheater. I read an interview yesterday with a woman and her disabled husband, he couldn't perform sexually due to a physical limitation. She had his blessing to use the site because everyone has needs and all that. Now with her info out there it could affect their livelihood as co-workers and colleagues might look unfavorably on the situation despite them not knowing the whole story. That's to say nothing of friends and family.

I'm sure the site had its share of cheating jerks and all that but I don't presume to know everyones reasons or conclude that they're all nefarious evildoers who deserve it. 3 years ago I was seeing a great woman and just couldn't commit due to work related pressure and being at a crossroads in life. She really loved me but I was distant emotionally and largely indifferent to the relationship. She cheated as a way of acting out and getting my attention. I never forgave her but I do understand, I helped create that situation. I don't think she deserves her private profile photographs and information leaked to the general public. Most people don't cheat in a healthy relationship and people don't always do the rational thing, we're all human.

Millions had their private photographs and profile information leaked, credit card numbers and so on. How about we separate the moral act from the real crime here? It seems like people just want to conflate them. People can be doing something wrong and still have a wrong done to them. It doesn't make either party blameless but the summary judgment from some here is pretty ridiculous, especially when people don't know the circumstances.

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 2015, 09:10.

Playing: Dark Souls 2: Scholars of the First Sin
Watching: Mr. Robot
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
12. Re: Into the Black Aug 25, 2015, 08:40 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 03:07:
Meh, the Dutch angle helps communicate the disorientation Thor feels at losing his powers and being exiled.

Maybe in a few scenes but it was a good chunk of the film. It was over used. That's not the films biggest mistake anyway, that script was dreadful.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 24, 2015, 15:02 Verno

We managed to make online shopping even lazier somehow, truly impressive. Even if I was so lazy that I needed something like this it would be to get the lowest priced item of that kind, not just from one manufacturer who is guaranteed to screw you on the price.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
2. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Aug 24, 2015, 14:53 Verno

No one deserves a medal for committing multiple crimes and releasing unauthorized personal info. They made a decision for millions of other people that they had no right to in the first place, one with many unintended consequences. I don't think some people realize how serious it is. It could put peoples lives in danger by outing their sexual orientation in countries that do not tolerate same sex relationships. I'm sure a few people will kill themselves over a lost marriage and it will ruin more than a few childhoods. For what? Just so people can judge others bedroom conduct and feel morally superior for 5 minutes.

It's none of my business and I don't want anyone hurt over it, I can't believe people are saying otherwise. And before the "maybe they shouldve thought about before blahblahblah" crowd comes in, maybe you should think about the mistakes you've made in your life and how you would like to be judged too. Hugely disappointed in the public response to this.

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 2015, 15:00.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2015, 11:59 Verno

It's 7 games out of hundreds, hes fine and nothing will happen as hes entirely within their policies and not abusing it.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 24, 2015, 10:57 Verno

They will just make season characters online only and avoid dupes.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2015, 10:23 Verno

I went from Frontpage on Windows to vim on FreeBSD then finally back to Dreamweaver after joining a windows shop again. It took me forever to stop using Dreamweaver after years of familiarity with it but these days I use Komodo which I can't recommend enough.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
36. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 24, 2015, 09:27 Verno

Windows is actually pretty decent now with base drivers, I've swapped motherboards on both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 without reinstalling, no issues. Windows 7 on the other hand can be an issue depending on the chipset drivers installed.  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2015, 09:07 Verno

Kosumo wrote on Aug 23, 2015, 18:01:
That GTA image (it's a gif/video really) is super funny but also show how good the game is in that each of the flashlights are then a object with mass and physics.

Christian Slater is great in True Romance (very good film) and also in the best Tom Cruse movie - Interview with A Vampire (I have not seen some other Tom Cruse movies that other rate highly - Mangnola, vinila sky's ect.)

My problem with Tom Cruse in movies is when I see him I think Tom Cruse not whatever character he is playing (some exception like above and Tropical Thunder)

About to watch that Tanker video.

Cruise has a script doctor and if he gets his way they will chop it up to make everything better for Tom Cruise, not necessarily the film. Everything from the way they shoot (making him seem taller) to dialogue that they change because it could reflect unfavorably on him. When you see Cruise in a role where he doesn't seem like himself its usually because the studio had the balls to stand up and refuse this sort of thing.

Another actor who is famous for that is Will Smith.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
34. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 24, 2015, 09:00 Verno

Good to see Rocket League still doing well, great game.  

News Comments > Shadowrun: Hong Kong Released
4. Re: Shadowrun: Hong Kong Released Aug 20, 2015, 14:36 Verno

I forgot all about redeeming my steam key from backer kit so thanks for the reminder about this. I hope they've been able to make the combat a bit more interesting, rest of the tools are solid.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2015, 13:20 Verno

Go read House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds or Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson.

I thought The Martian was fine for airport style scifi, a light and enjoyable read that you won't remember in a few years but provides quick and easy entertainment at the time. Movie looks good too.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Aug 20, 2015, 10:40 Verno

Developers don't need to directly interact with their fans, in many cases its probably a better idea not to. Your fans don't always have useful feedback, they will hold you to your words which you might not be choosing carefully enough and frankly there are a lot of spergelord shit heels online that you don't want to interact with.

Go hire a small PR company to do your stuff so you can concentrate on making games, no harassment to worry about.

News Comments > XCOM 2 Trailer
6. Re: XCOM 2 Trailer Aug 20, 2015, 10:37 Verno

Doma wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 09:29:
Looking very good! It is pretty incredible to think about that we are getting proper AAA X-COM games in 2015 that are not First Person Shooters.

Pretty unthinkable around 10 years ago. If you dont count the Czech UFO knock-off games.

Agreed. While I wasn't thrilled with the loss of multiple bases, TDUs and procedurally generated maps like that I think they did a great job of modernizing other aspects of the game. Really hopeful for this one.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2015, 10:01 Verno

InBlack wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 09:46:
Everyone has roaches. People who think they don't have roaches are just living in denial.

Err no sorry, that's really not the case at all thank god

31. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2015, 08:56 Verno

If he's got roaches in the first place then he's got bigger problems than the ground coffee sitting in a cabinet over night.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 20, 2015, 08:54 Verno

I'd rather see them ship the PG279Q than yet another mediocre Freesync monitor.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 19, 2015, 14:39 Verno

Frags4Fun wrote on Aug 19, 2015, 14:18:
With this data leak, it will serve to raise awareness about the very things that I warn people about (the risk & potential consequences of your private life being exposed via technology). Those people agreed to take a risk with their privacy when they signed up and engaged in such activities and now they're getting burned for it. Unfortunately, most people only learn a lesson after they've been burned once or twice because they failed to exercise that amazing imagination that we are all born with. Or they were warned by people like myself and chose to ignore those warnings. We are conditioned to ignore our own intuition but... well, that's a subject for an entirely different discussion.

I might've bought that argument if not for the "easily searchable" bit of your response which leads me to believe you just didn't care and wanted to see some cheaters get their comeuppance. I think the impact of the actual leak far outweighs any tangential "awareness" benefit that might occur anyway. It's not like there haven't been a raft of these over the years.

I don't know what you mean with the enemy bit, I've only seen you post in a handful of topics and just happened to recognize this one as an area where I felt you were being hypocritical. It wasn't a personal slight either, plenty of topics where I've changed my mind or been a bit hypocritical. I take very little personally online so no worries from my perspective.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2015, 13:27 Verno

I don't know, I find potatoes and most tubers keep for quite awhile. It depends on temperature, light and moisture though obviously. I usually get at least a few months out of them if stored properly, some much longer too.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 19, 2015, 13:07 Verno

Frags4Fun wrote on Aug 19, 2015, 10:46:
I'm hoping that someone hosts the information in an easily searchable format.

You put yourself in a bit of a quandary here. You're angry and vehement about Microsoft regarding privacy settings in one thread. Meanwhile here you're anxiously hoping for a massive unauthorized leak of personal and private data that risks potential identity theft on a large scale, not to mention includes private financial info. I don't know how someone reconciles that internally, it must require some olympian mental gymnastics to avoid the word hypocrite.

17526 Comments. 877 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo