Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 16301 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow
53. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 14:41 Verno

PropheT wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 14:24:
Unlike MMO's where you're required to do those things to progress or level, you really don't have to do them for those reasons in Inquisition at all. I find that I like those sorts of thing because they're objectives to be completed as I explore, rather than seeking out and completing fetch quests when I get to an area like it's a themepark design.

I just did the stuff I found enjoyable and ignored the tedious stuff as much as I could, there was a lot of it though. I think if anything they went a bit overboard on the repetitive stuff, probably because they were so sensitive to criticisms of people being short changed on content in DA2. The later zones have some cool stuff and I hope people don't miss out on it because they got burnt out.

Hard to implement my ass, devs are just lazy. The class system in that game was so awesome, every class and hybrid was not only viable but distinct and fun to play.

Dragon's Dogma was the shit, still no sign of Deep Down or a Dragons Dogma 2 unfortunately.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 14:05 Verno

Fion wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 13:15:
On the original topic, the only zone to do the 'mindless MMO fetch/kill/fedex' quests is the first open zone, Hinterlands.

Most of the other zones have the same sort of stuff, just in less volume. Find a note here, go drop off this thing or kill this guy. Collect some shards, find the astrariums, the Inquisition needs its main leader to pick more plants etc etc. I've done basically every zone in the game and while some are more interesting than others, they all share a lot of filler content. You can ignore some of it but if you want to get into crafting at all then you'll be doing a lot of collecting.

What the other zones are better at is that you can find a few tombs and the odd thing like that to shake the monotonous stuff in the game. You've also unlocked your companions by then and have their stuff to do. The Hinterlands zone quest is basically the main quest which doesn't help either, the other zones have a quest to take you through the area doing more interesting things.

I think my favorite zones are The Emerald Graves and Crestwood. Fallow Mire was pretty awesome too.

41. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 12:53 Verno

Frijoles wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 12:36:
How's the combat for non-archer classes? The combat for my archer is horrible. I barely even have to face the direction of a mob to shoot them. The combat is worse than an MMO, and the quests I've seen are the same (although I've read that's because I'm in the starter area). I played for a few hours and was bored out of my mind. I'm wondering if it's just that the archer class is shit.

Every class gets better once you get their spec in terms of combat options and stuff but it sounds like Archer just isn't your thing. I found it pretty fun to play but to each his own. Give 2H melee a shot.

To be honest most areas are like the starter area in the sense of having many dumb "quests" and 1-2 good ones that are actually worth the time. So yeah if you're tired of whatevers left in Hinterlands, move on. The story and zone quests are interesting, stick with those. Only do the MMO collection shit if it happens to be on the way, otherwise ignore it.

37. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 12:17 Verno

Creston wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 12:13:
I thought the way they handled it with Dorian was actually pretty well done. You never have a clue that Dorian is gay until it's revealed as being THE major source of discontention between him and his father, who is the lord of a major house in Tevinter where homosexuality is perceived as abnormal and something to be ashamed of.

But then they also ramrod the transsexual crap of Bull's second-in-command down your throat in a way that serves zero purpose and adds literally nothing to the game in any, shape or form. "Look at us! We're including the transgenders! See how progressive we are!"

Still, at least they're trying, and they're getting better with the gay stuff. It doesn't do anything for me, but I don't mind it being in there now that I can just ignore it. DA2, otoh, pissed me off with it.

Yeah for sure. I can see how people would be a bit rankled by it in previous games, DA2 was especially obnoxious in how they handled it. I did forget about the social commentary with Krem though, the presentation there was a bit ham handed.

31. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 12:09 Verno

Axis wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 12:02:
I don't have a source either just what I observe in the forum chatter. People certainly talk about it, mainly negative, but I don't see many saying "Bioware games are awesome, and romance options are one of the biggest reasons."

Hell your source is this thread, several of us piped up that we don't care for the romance silliness

Right there with you. "Romance" in previous BioWare titles amounted to the fevered wet dreams of virgin fan fiction enthusiasts. And sitting around the camp fire flirting with exotic and scantily clad wizards and warriors when the world is in peril? Get off your stupid ass and go kill a dragon, you pervert.

This is pretty much what I think but try not to say.

24. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 11:53 Verno

Axis wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 11:43:
He basically said They (developers) include "him" in games to attempt to make gay people appear normal and accepted, when they are already normal and accepted - and only serves the developers interest, not gays. There was more but that was the jist of it.

For me, I feel any romance as an rpg line is annoying at best no matter how it's done or who it serves.

That's certainly a fair comment in some respects. In past Bioware games they haven't always handled it well and sometimes it comes off as a bit "we're so inclusive hooray us". That being said they're getting better about it, unlike past games they don't go out of their way to beat you over the head with their sexual preferences or gender identity. That information is there if you want it but characters don't define themselves based on it and it doesn't come off as preachy or self-serving for the dev.

16. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 11:24 Verno

WaltC wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 11:18:
I find it disturbing because nothing is more boring to me than cartoon, pretend romances in a 3d RPG. Hopefully, this is something that can be easily bypassed completely. Ugh. Dime romance novels are everywhere...not needed inside 3d games, too.

You have to actually seek it out (its marked pretty clearly in conversations) so don't worry about it, safely ignored.

If you want to see scary sometime, look at the feedback forum on the Bioware boards. People get weird and fanatical about the romance stuff, its disturbing. I remember David Gaider saying that they started restricting race options for that stuff because the writing team has serious concerns about child molesters who kept petitioning them.

12. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 11:12 Verno

It's a Bioware game with the usual Bioware romance stuff going on. You can safely ignore it if you find it creepy. I've never understood the dating simulator stuff but apparently people like it.  

News Comments > Street Fighter V Confirmed
2. Re: Street Fighter V Confirmed Dec 8, 2014, 10:58 Verno

These apparently still sell in the millions, I had no idea.  

9. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 10:54 Verno

Sho wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 10:50:
That sounds pretty sweet. Speaking of the lore though, do you think it'd be a problem that I sat out DA2?

Not really, just get a plot summary online and if you want to then fill out a few choices on Dragon Age Keep if you want to. You should check that site for your world state stuff from DA:O by the way, some people got like 10 hours in then found out their world state wasn't imported which has gotta suck. Check your choices, make any that are missing and then click the export to DA:I thing.

If you're really committed then you can burn through DA2 in like 15 hours if you don't do any sidequests though personally I don't think its worth bothering. The gist of it is Mages and Templars got into big fight in Kirkwall, now there's war blah blah blah start of DA:I happens a year after that.

News Comments > Game Awards 2014 Winners
51. Re: Game Awards 2014 Winners Dec 8, 2014, 10:43 Verno

Looking at the list I never did check out Valiant Hearts: The Great War, I gotta get to that.

Shadow of Mordor is not surprising at all I guess. Far Cry 4 either, most shooters this year were pretty underwhelming. All in all we had a few standouts but it was a pretty disappointing year. Watch_Dogs and Destiny were big letdowns IMO. Same with DriveClub.

6. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 10:39 Verno

Sho wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 10:35:
Verno wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 10:31:
It's a pretty good game in some ways and I suspect people who waited for the first patch will have a better time with it. If you really wanted another Dragon Ages: Origins, well this is not that. If you don't mind something sorta in between Origins and DA2 then this is certainly worth picking up. Many games deliver a lot less for $60 and even if you just did the main quest you'll get your moneys worth.

Thanks! So I guess if I prepare myself to resist any completionist tendencies and play it more like an adventure game for the main storyline I'd be good.

Sounds similar to Mass Effect 1 with its endless cut-and-paste side missions (all of which I played unfortunately ...).

Exactly. Do some of the collection stuff in each zone but if you go full on OCD the game gets tedious very quickly. Each zone has a quest that sorta takes you through it, those are worth doing. The companion quests you get are hit and miss, some good and some really dumb. When you start to get bored of a zone, just leave immediately and go somewhere else. The main quest line is where the game gets impressive, mixing up gameplay mechanics, storylines and compelling themes.

Also Normal is really Easy and Hard is really Normal. It's one of those things. If you want to be even remotely challenged play on Hard or Nightmare.

4. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 10:31 Verno

Sho wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 10:22:
What's the verdict on this game? I kind of didn't pay attention.

It's much better than Dragon Age 2 but not quite as good as Origins in my opinion. It depends on what you're expecting to get from it. The combat is a bit of a mixed bag and more simplistic, something akin to an action RPG and an MMO now. There is a huge amount of timesink MMO collection stuff in the game. The art design is top notch and the areas are well designed for the most part (fuck the Forbidden Oasis and Exalted Plains) and once you get past the MMO shit there are a few cool short dungeons to check out. The main story line is roughly 50 hours long, assuming you don't do the collection shit. If you spend a lot of time on that then you're clocking in closer to 80+ hours. Where the game really shines is the main storyline, its very well done and has a lot of interesting choice/consequences. The companion cast is pretty good but not as memorable as Origins IMO. The interface is terrible for just about everything, very much designed for consoles there and I can't say anything good about it.

It's a pretty good game in some ways and I suspect people who waited for the first patch will have a better time with it. If you really wanted another Dragon Ages: Origins hardcore oldschool CRPG, well this is not that. If you don't mind something sorta in between Origins and DA2 then this is certainly worth picking up. Many games deliver a lot less for $60 and even if you just did the main quest you'll get your moneys worth.

2. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 10:20 Verno

Good, the PC is the platform that needs the most attention.  

News Comments > Game Awards 2014 Winners
49. Re: Game Awards 2014 Winners Dec 8, 2014, 08:54 Verno

Redmask wrote on Dec 7, 2014, 23:17:
It's a good game, better than Origins in world design, combat and aesthetics. Worse than Origins in story, depth and quests. It depends on what you're into and what your expectations are. It's definitely a good game that's worth picking up. I hate giving anything scores but if I had to then I would give it an 8 out of 10.

I've beaten the whole thing so if you have any specific questions feel free to ask, I'm pretty well 'learned' on the game now.

I tend to agree with your points on Inquisition vs Origins. There is a lot of pointless filler content in both games but I think Inquisition has a bigger focus on it. I like the flow of combat better in Inquisition but I prefer the camera from Origins. Origins is more challenging, Inquisition is too forgiving for my tastes. The user interface in Inquisition is straight up bullshit compared to Origins. The Inquisition storyline gets too bogged down in politics and the weird narrative push towards elven stuff is a bit weird at this stage. Origins is more straight forward and cliched but ultimately more relatable and enjoyable.

Also I keep seeing people refer to Inquisitions as an open world game but is certainly not one and I wouldn't compare it to Skyrim for that reason. Big instanced zones != open world. The NPCs don't have any real AI by comparison, Inquisition has no attached world space and about the only thing it shares in common with Skyrim are those basic quests everyone dislikes. Comparing them does neither game any favors, they're both good and bad at various things.

News Comments > Into the Black
42. Re: Into the Black Dec 5, 2014, 15:18 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Dec 5, 2014, 14:11:
Verno wrote on Dec 5, 2014, 09:11:
I have no idea what to make of that but if it isn't rated R I'm not interested. Hollywood has totally watered down movies in recent years and I'm tired of comic book violence and quick jump cut edits.

Yeah, I agree. There are a bunch of movies that would have been better as 'R': Avatar, Edge of Tomorrow, The Wolverine, The Dark Knight, etc, etc. This one too. But it won't be. Definitely knocks it down a notch in interest, even while I felt the trailer showed the movie had potential.

There's a great bit on videosift about Jackie Chan movies and a lot of it is applicable to mistakes that studios and American action directors keep making. It's not even a case of old being better than new, techniques being used now just make for a poor viewing experience. In many cases its almost like its being done on purpose so that the product is watered down enough to satisfy the ratings boards. Most of the action franchises started to suck right when they went from R to PG, both commercially and critically. The only saving grace is often unrated versions or re-edited versions that get sold in foreign markets. I know some people like them but I find many of the new comic book movies the epitomy of watered down filmmaking.

North American audiences suck to be honest, we have the most bullshit hypocrisies. Lots of guns! Lots of violence! No blood! No swearing! Those are bad! Lots of skin, lingerie and sexual overtones but no T&A!

News Comments > Dying Light Steep Specs Revealed
36. Re: Dying Light Steep Specs Revealed Dec 5, 2014, 14:40 Verno

It's a bad argument in the first place. High spec requirements don't necessarily mean a game is pushing hardware, Dead Rising 3 is a good example of that.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
41. Re: Game Reviews Dec 5, 2014, 12:40 Verno

There's tons of areas that were clearly intended to be quest hubs where you can see they just ran out of time too. The Exalted Plains alone has like 3 huge, almost empty forts with a single quest. Shame that they couldn't take an extra 6 months and really polish this game to perfection. I wonder what sales were like because EA is being pretty quiet about it and it went up against some tough competition. The extra time might've made sense.  

News Comments > Leaked Street Fighter V Trailer Suggests PC/PS4 Exclusive
8. Re: Leaked Street Fighter V Trailer Suggests PC/PS4 Exclusive Dec 5, 2014, 10:42 Verno

Plus even if it were true many people here would pick it up on the PC. That's what frustrated people more about the TR thing.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2014, 10:28 Verno

Prez wrote on Dec 5, 2014, 10:27:
Who gets to declare it's "National Whatever" day? And why should I just take their word for it? Every day is "National Something-Or-Other" Day and I am kind of tired of it.

Today is National Prez Day!

Actually that's more like...any day theres a Steam sale

16301 Comments. 816 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo