Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 14971 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
26. Re: Into the Black Dec 17, 2013, 11:36 Verno

BitWraith wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 08:44:
Avatar wasn't Citizen Kaine, but it was a competent movie.

Really? I thought outside of the visuals that it was a very mediocre film. Hackneyed plot, terrible characters, poorly paced, etc. It is a film that coasts on its visual spectacle.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay
32. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay Dec 17, 2013, 11:28 Verno

InBlack wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 10:57:

He only has himself and his ambition to blame for the extra scrutiny this is getting. You cant blame the fans and you cant blame the skeptics. Most of them want the game to succeed and most of them want him to actually produce something. When you promise the moon and dont deliver who exactly is at fault and for what reason??

Uh I can certainly think of a few posters here who have expressed an almost unhealthy glee in their assumption that this will fail. He needs to have a chance to deliver before anyone is "at fault" by the way. This is a small delay in a large project and we see them all the time in the AAA space. Given the scope of the project delays should be expected. I guess maybe I'm just an optimist but I don't really see any reason to read too much into this. Now if the delays and excuses start piling up then that's a different story.

I have no doubt they'll deliver. If anything I'm much more concerned that the scope of the project is becoming unwieldy and will result in a product that attempts too many different things while doing nothing well as others mentioned. For me a game like this lives and dies on its combat model so any extra time there is well spent.

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2013, 11:34.

News Comments > Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay
19. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay Dec 17, 2013, 10:52 Verno

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 10:38:
With the amount of stuff they want to put into this game I am not surprised.
Not sure why all the hate towards this game though? It made a ton of cash and they have big dreams that will take more than a lot of cash to accomplish.

People love a good dogpile and the chance to see someone else fail. Honestly I think his explanation makes sense, this is a project where people will point fingers at every little perceived issue. For better or worse its also a poster child for crowdfunding so taking extra time just makes sense, people will judge it a bit more harshly than anything else. Look at a few people in this thread already. Delays are so common in the gaming industry that I tune them out at this point.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Patched
30. Re: Battlefield 4 Patched Dec 17, 2013, 10:48 Verno

Having a played a bit after the last patch, it feels like the only "fix" to weird kills is the dramatic dying animation shaking your camera and distracting you from the bullshit that is going on. Though to be fair I have had less simultaneous deaths but it seems the instant lethality is dialed up even more as a result.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
12. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 17, 2013, 10:10 Verno

Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 10:02:
Dude, it's Toronto. They're everywhere.

Scalpers are not the same thing as a console being in stock at retail/online stores and there is definitely a shortage. Stock is sparse everywhere right now and disappears quickly when its refreshed.

Just check bestbuy.ca not .com they are in stock and has been for about a week or so now.
Other retail stores like Wallmart, Target, Toy's R Us also have stock.
Maybe this will change before Christmas but it looks like the mad rush is finished for now.

All of those places are out of stock right now. They sometimes receive new shipments but general availability is still very poor. The stock situation isn't likely to improve until well after Christmas.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Freedom Cry DLC Tomorrow
3. Re: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Freedom Cry DLC Tomorrow Dec 16, 2013, 14:57 Verno

Chain shot, ram, chain shot, ram. El Impoluto isn't that bad, the Twins gave me more trouble due to their scripted speed and annoying man in the middle maneuver. The rest were cake, my biggest complaint with AC games in general is that they aren't challenging and this game was no different. Naval combat is fun until you get some upgrades then you just cheese everything.  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Freedom Cry DLC Tomorrow
1. Re: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Freedom Cry DLC Tomorrow Dec 16, 2013, 14:33 Verno

This sounds pretty rad, I think I'll pick it up. Supposedly its one of the better DLCs Ubisoft has put together.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
11. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 16, 2013, 14:18 Verno

Snowden was a small guy. There is no way he could have ever gotten that much insight as he did without some serious helping and pushing.

He did have major help, just not the conspiracy doodle stuff you're thinking of. He was very successful in using his personality to get others login information through social engineering and to obtain higher clearance levels for himself. The NSA went through an extensive internal review afterward and determined that civilian contractors had almost unfettered access to so much information that they decided to blow up all third party hires and start over.

News Comments > Morning Previews
15. Re: Morning Previews Dec 16, 2013, 14:12 Verno

Cutter wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 13:37:
Hand ups those with professional game design experience? Just me? Ok you can all shut up now.

Since you asked, there are many industry professionals on this website, not that it lends anyones opinion more weight on such general matters. There are many different skill subsets in the gaming industry after all.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2013, 13:02 Verno

TorchMaster wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 12:41:
I'm baaack. 11-4. Dallas makes me laugh even though I've missed on them the last two weeks.

They should just start taking Romo out at the end of the third quarter.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Dec 16, 2013, 11:09 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 04:37:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 14:18:
Was that the Free to play, frostbite engine version? Don't worry, it'll be back, with hundreds of millions of dollars in advertising.

well, hopefully they'll bring it back as a traditional RTS. None of this free to play, microtransaction, pay to win crap.

I doubt we'll ever see that from EA again, they have an internal mandate that all games ship with "revenue tools"

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2013, 10:20 Verno

I was on a Robert Redford back catalogue kick on the weekend, much to my girlfriends chagrin. Three Days of the Condor followed by The Sting and capped off with The Candidate. I think I'll get hemorrhoids if I sit on the couch any longer.

Peter O'Toole had some great performances in his career too, damned shame

Got totally destroyed on my football picks too, big WTF at the Saints.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
41. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2013, 09:43 Verno

Prez wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 20:01:
If I'm to get 50 or 60 hours gameplay (or more) out of a game - as I expect I will with Wastelands 2 - $60 is nothing to me. It's the 5 hour throwaway single player games like Call of Duty that I won't pay that much for. That's just a waste. It is extremely doubtful that 60 bucks will be the release price anyway. Look at Planetary Annihilation - in alpha it cost $90, in beta it's costing $60, and the release price is going to be at least 10 bucks less than that according to the devs.

Agreed, I have no problem paying more for quality games with a lot of replay value.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 16, 2013, 09:37 Verno

Rea1One wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 05:34:
I wouldn't really call them the best 13 addons.

Yeah in fact none of those would even make my top 10 list. No Tab Mix Plus?!

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
11. Re: Sunday Interviews Dec 16, 2013, 09:34 Verno

I would love to see Obsidian do their own open world game, FO:NV was outstanding.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 13, 2013, 10:44 Verno

"Fixing Forza 5"
The guy is a master of avoiding questions, he's so good, he might just have been a politician at one point in their career.

That interview with him yesterday was hilarious, you can tell Microsoft PR has neckstepped everyone after the launch debacle. It's rare to see so much dodging and so many non-answer fluff bits outside of politics. Typical gaming press too, just a bunch of softball questions and "insert your PR answer" here stuff.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 13, 2013, 09:49 Verno

Fixing Forza 5: How Turn 10 wants to win fans back.

Step 1 - stop being greedy jerks with this arcade token shit and horrible grinds

Step 2 - stop working for Microsoft so that the above can occur.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
10. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 13, 2013, 09:39 Verno

Creston wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 23:22:

We need to just scrap the whole Federal government. It's become utterly pointless, and all it does is meddle in shit it has no business meddling in to begin with (education, for example.) Let every state handle its own business, and we all just pay a defense tax to pay for the army.

Errr ok I know you're frustrated dude but this is just way too out there. Half of the states would be bankrupt shitholes without federal money, not to mention all of the other trade and economic benefits. I can't even imagine the nightmare of trying to travel cross country without a federal government. We don't need to go backwards in time to fix the government, we need to elect responsible reps, boot corporate lobbies and interest groups out of Washington and hold people accountable for their actions.

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Closed Beta
18. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Closed Beta Dec 13, 2013, 08:53 Verno

I think I'll just check this out on the PS4 when they release the all in one version next year. The same screen coop stuff is a blast with the GF, she really loved the PS3 demo.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 12, 2013, 14:40 Verno

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 12:47:
Last time I checked, Xbox was profitable (at least until the Xbox One)

The division has achieved profitability in some previous financial quarters but the Xbox project as a whole probably still isn't profitable. They've spent something like 10+ billion on it and it's handful of profitable quarters are probably a drop in that ocean. That doesn't mean its a failure as there are cross promotional benefits to an unprofitable product but one can argue those are dubious here. Some vague Windows 8 compatibility more akin to RT, Bing which no one really uses unless forced and Skype which is another product that can't seem to make money.

Both the Xbox and Microsoft might benefit more from it being spun off. The forced inclusion of Microsoft product tie-ins has actually hurt the One more than it helped in terms of OS design and usability. Microsoft is rapidly becoming irrelevant in the consumer space and might need to go the route of IBM with dedicating itself to the enterprise. They have missed countless opportunities and wasted absurd amounts of money on an embarrassing graveyard of consumer products.

14971 Comments. 749 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo