Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 15484 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Patches
10. Re: Evening Patches Apr 9, 2014, 09:50 Verno

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 19:50:
Well that sucks if you're having issues (I've never been disconnected a single time since patch 2.0, except when I go AFK for too long and time-out)

Some people only have a little bit of time to play every night and progression loss is a big design sin.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
36. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2014, 08:57 Verno

InBlack wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 07:30:
Law of averages. People dont trust mathematics. The most exact science on the planet, and people dont trust it. What's next, people believing in bearded father figure dieties and zombie saviours??? Oh wait...

I think the sample size here is much bigger than intended for the law of averages to apply. But maybe he just doesn't like Christopher Nolan films, he cites 2 in his examples Not my favorite director either but I think comparing the films he chose is apples to oranges and that's the problem with ratings systems in general.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 8, 2014, 13:13 Verno

As much as I'd love to see more sci-fi, more BSG movies isn't what I had in mind. I keep hoping for a new Star Trek (show) where the cast has the sort of chemistry that TNG did. Hopefully the success of the film could float this sort of idea but unfortunately the movies are way too action oriented for my taste so it would probably be awful.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 8, 2014, 12:40 Verno

robdot wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 12:03:
If the NSA wants to spy on you there are far more easier and better ways to do it than kinect. All the gamers bitching about it have an iphone, a PC , ipad, facebook ,Instagram Twitter etc, a drivers license and social security number...stfu already.

I doubt anyone really cares, its more that they don't have a use for the camera permanently pointed at them in the living room. It has little upside so why bother?

News Comments > Watch Dogs Requires Uplay
15. Re: Watch Dogs Requires Uplay Apr 8, 2014, 12:34 Verno

Uplay is kinda crappy and half assed but I rarely run into problems with it outside of launch day for big games.  

News Comments > Diablo III XP Bonus
59. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Apr 7, 2014, 16:54 Verno

Krovven wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 15:27:
Yea Barbs are fine, but it was a big change from what people were used to and the way things had been in the beta for months. It took some time for people to adjust. Which is why I don't want to see major changes to the Crusader this quickly, just small adjustments.

I don't think Crusaders are as well balanced as Barbarians were back then is the bigger point to take from my comment. Blizzard seems to agree as there appear to be several large changes coming which is great. I think now is actually the better time to make big changes before people get too settled in.

The irony is that my build is getting nerfed with with the damage reduction to Heavens Fury, while everything else is getting buffed. The Justice buff won't make up for it, as Heavens Fury is my elite killer

The legendary that buffs it (name escapes me at the moment) is the reason its getting nerfed, it was way too easy to shotgun elites with it. I know what you mean though, I always hate finding a build that really works for me then it gets adjusted later.

This comment was edited on Apr 7, 2014, 17:02.

News Comments > On ESO Charges
16. Re: On ESO Charges Apr 7, 2014, 12:37 Verno

I have to disagree with you there Verno, This is done for one reason. Itís to prevent anyone with a copy of the game to play it for free. Anyone that has a copy installed from either the beta or a friendís account could just jump on with their account and start playing for those 30 days.

I don't see a problem with that scenario as long as the account has paid game time and I feel like you fight gold farmers with a strong abuse department rather than with billing. If there's one thing I've learned with MMOs over the years its that the gold farmers will always find a way as long as the demand is there.

News Comments > On ESO Charges
14. Re: On ESO Charges Apr 7, 2014, 12:22 Verno

Ozmodan wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 12:04:
You should never have to enter payment information initially. I am glad I did not purchase this game just because of that. I could care less that it is subscription, but telling me I can't play because I don't enter a credit card that is ludicrous.

Ideally the game should just come with a one time game code that gives you a month of use. Doesn't solve the gold farmer problem but I think those kinds of issues should be dealt with separately. I think they like getting the money of people who stay subbed game because of forgetfulness/etc too.

News Comments > Full Watch Dogs System Specs
43. Re: Full Watch Dogs System Specs Apr 7, 2014, 10:50 Verno

Definitely a wait and see game for me too. I really hope it isn't just Assassin's Technocreed or something but Ubisoft loves their collectathons.  

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Prequel Plans?
7. Re: Borderlands 2 Prequel Plans? Apr 7, 2014, 10:48 Verno

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 09:48:
I enjoyed both Borderlands, but gazillion of guns doesn't mean shit when everyone is farming out 4-5 weapons. At least D3 added Adventure mode to keep it fresh.

I liked both games but I wouldn't say I loved them. Like you though I find them too unbalanced and repetitive. I'm in no rush for the next Borderlands game unless they're changing things up, the formula is a bit stale for me.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
79. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 7, 2014, 10:19 Verno

Mad Max RW wrote on Apr 6, 2014, 12:22:
Sorry I don't have time to sit around on my computer all weekend like certain people here. It appears the IRS leak story was wrong and they rectified it. So what? It doesn't make the whole story of bullying to get their way any less ridiculous. Even liberal loon Bill Mahar thinks it's fucked.

Don't let that stop the hypocrites from ranting, though.

You don't see any irony in calling something bullying when the people complaining are doing exactly the same thing to them? I call it fighting back. If anything their way is better, they are just using public pressure which comes from the fact that most of the public identifies with their complaints. They're not bullying anyone. Incidentally I thought most donations were a matter of public record, the government audits them after all so I'm not sure why anyone would think its some super secret thing that was leaked from a tax return.

57. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Apr 7, 2014, 09:00 Verno

Krovven wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 01:20:
There was a massive backlash for the Barbarian nerfs that happened a couple weeks before the beta ended. I was one of the people that didn't like what they did to the Barbarian resource generation. I don't recall anything major about Crusader nerfs, but maybe the Barb nerfs overshadowed that.

Ironically Barbs have been fine since the nerf, a friend of mine even runs an effective build without a fury generator. The Crusader nerfs on the other hand were too drastic and didn't really address other problems with the class. Blizzard will buff them up so I'm not worried about it, my Wizard is a hoot to play right now while I wait.

But when someone is unwilling to post their character so others can see their gear and build for critique...then there is no reason to take them seriously at all.

Nah I disagree, I can get an idea of what someone does or doesn't know based on what they're saying, I don't need to see their build most of the time. Personally I don't post my profiles unless I have a reason or if I'm asking for help. I really don't want people I don't know friending or messaging me and on forums people usually just use it as an excuse to argue/dickwave or to pilfer build/gear ideas. Besides I know several people who have great luck with gear and a good build but aren't what I would consider good players.

This comment was edited on Apr 7, 2014, 09:07.

50. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Apr 6, 2014, 19:45 Verno

Krovven wrote on Apr 6, 2014, 19:01:
Crusader had a ton of positive feedback in the RoS beta and were receiving high praise on the design of the class.

I don't know, I remember a fair amount of negative feedback from the latter half of beta, particularly when a big round of strange nerfs landed before retail. People were voicing concerns about many of things I see them talking about on various forums today and some of the stuff brought up here.

Again, I know plenty of people playing Crusader and not having the same issues you guys are referring to.

I know plenty of people who have played Crusader who disagree so shrug. I don't think the Crusader is gimped but it needs some love, there are several builds I'd like to try but don't feel viable due to design problems with abilities and runes. It is not a lot of fun for me right now and I feel a bit hamstrung in terms of builds so I'm just going to play my Wiz until they fix it up, no biggie. If other people enjoy it now then I guess they'll just enjoy it that much more later when its buffed up more, everyone wins

44. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Apr 6, 2014, 17:43 Verno

Redmask wrote on Apr 6, 2014, 16:34:
Crusader Talk

I agree that they are pretty flawed right now but I think with some tweaks they could be great. They need higher mobility or the same 30% damage resist that the other melee classes get though. I picked up a really nice legendary that transformed mine from bad to decent but it still feels really slow and weird overall.

Changes and stuff:

- Make the 2H passive innate and remove the movement slow
- Completely redesign several abilities and runes, some of the laws and abilities like Consecrate are embarrassing
- Buff the wrath generators and their respective runes
- The passives need another go, a good half of them are brutal
- Make shields block some of non-physical damage that make melee hard to play

I wouldn't mind seeing them do something else with Blessed Hammer too, its very effective but the wind up time on getting them out there means something like a Wizard would've already cleared the screen.

They are fine at lower difficulties but at Torment I can't really say I care for mine. I am highly dependent on the Judgement - Resolved rune for my damage in Torment groups which as you said is bound to be hit with a the nerfbat, its giving people +100% crit which obliterates packs. Getting the 3 beam Heavens Fury legendary helped a lot but I feel like my build is completely rigid and that they aren't any real alternatives.

Nothing they can't fix but they have a lot of work to do. I went back to my Wizard for grouping in the meantime, I think they should put the guy who did Wizards in charge of every class. They have so many great builds and options, almost everything is useful in some way except maybe Energy Twister. If they can bring the Crusader up to that level I'll be very happy.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
8. Re: RE: Follow up Apr 4, 2014, 14:43 Verno

Kitkoan wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 22:43:
I've heard different answers from different groups, but when you look at the hard numbers you notice that the ones that state that iOS gave them more money was when they made really piss-poor ports to Android and then wondered why the money wasn't just pouring in.

I'm sure that's happened but I don't agree with your generalization that its all of them or something. It's a very common complaint from companies that they are expected to maintain an Android version of their apps when it doesn't generate anywhere near the revenue that the iOS version does. I run Android and buy my apps so whatever but it is difficult to ignore all of the feedback from devs and companies about it dude

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 4, 2014, 13:26 Verno

dj LiTh wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 13:03:
Verno wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 12:50:
I've sideloaded some stuff on it already including XBMC. There is a small playback bug but one of the XBMC devs is working on it. Great little unit but its still very early, I would a few months for things to mature. Only disappointment so far is that Netflix results arent included in the voice search but hopefully that changes. Voice search itself is very accurate, much better than the Xbox One stuff I tried awhile ago. I loaded up Plex as well for a bit, the skin they use for it is way better than the one on my Roku 3. They say the USB port isn't working but I had a keyboard/mouse combo working on it. I was able to get some stuff off my NAS but oddly the USB external drive I tried plugging in didn't work correctly, I have to see if its mounting properly. I haven't experienced any stuttering with DirectPlay from Plex, everything (1080p mkv/etc) worked fine with no dropped frames.

Thing is blazing fast, no slowdown or other issues. When I get home tonight I'll be testing out its codec/format support in more depth.

Thanks Verno, really appreciate the review. Did you sideload Gotham XBMC or Frodo? I've heard conflicting things saying that frodo works but Gotham doesnt etc. Good to hear about Plex working smoothly (though i'm so ingrained /w xbmc its hard for me to ever ponder switching). Also what about DTS audio experience?

I'm going to test DTS passthru and all that tonight when I get off work and get the kid down. I wouldn't get one right now until things are more ironed out. I put 12.3 on there for awhile but it had no Mediacodec support for GPU acceleration so I swapped to a Gotham nightly that one of the devs hacked together quickly. I think its a pretty promising device overall though. I don't mind Plex but it reminds me too much of Netflix, I prefer XBMC with the Ace or Rapier skins so that's what I'll be focused on over the few next few days even if it means hacking it together myself.

As a media streamer its already easily the top one, moreso if they get HBO Go on there which they say is coming soon. Plex for local content works fine in my experience, I made sure nothing was being transcoded too. For XBMC things are still in the hacky stages so I'd wait a bit.

I'm still waiting to see if Logitech will ever issue an update to support this for my Harmony Smart Control hub too.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 4, 2014, 12:50 Verno

I've sideloaded some stuff on it already including XBMC. There is a small playback bug but one of the XBMC devs is working on it. Great little unit but its still very early, I would a few months for things to mature. Only disappointment so far is that Netflix results arent included in the voice search but hopefully that changes. Voice search itself is very accurate, much better than the Xbox One stuff I tried awhile ago. I loaded up Plex as well for a bit, the skin they use for it is way better than the one on my Roku 3. They say the USB port isn't working but I had a keyboard/mouse combo working on it. I was able to get some stuff off my NAS but oddly the USB external drive I tried plugging in didn't work correctly, I have to see if its mounting properly. I haven't experienced any stuttering with DirectPlay from Plex, everything (1080p mkv/etc) worked fine with no dropped frames.

Thing is blazing fast, no slowdown or other issues. When I get home tonight I'll be testing out its codec/format support in more depth.

57. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 4, 2014, 10:39 Verno

Mad Max RW wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 10:34:
Quboid wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 10:27:
Unless he donated or voted for Prop 8, or any equivalent, he's done nothing remotely hypocritical.

By not speaking out against OKCupid's bullying tactics to suppress freedom of speech while touting equality versus tyranny, that makes him and others like him a hypocrite. Again, I don't agree with the guy donating $1,000 of his own money to Prop 8, but it is his right to do so. Both parties acted like scumbags, however demonizing one and ignoring the other because you agree with their stance is very much hypocritical.

Slow down there fella. No one had their "free speech" suppressed and this has nothing to do with the constitution. Making an argument to support bigotry with free speech is pretty spurious anyway. People are free to use their business to pursue political messages if they want, personally I think its bad for business but that's their right. Much the same way people are free to not use Mozilla products if they don't like what the CEO represents.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2014, 10:10 Verno

Yeah agreed, Letterman was always way more interesting. Leno was just more safe and palatable, he played well to retirees especially. Leno never really pissed anyone off the way, well except for Conan fans  

41. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 4, 2014, 09:26 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 01:48:
Mad Max RW wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 23:40:
It seems like the bigger story people are ignoring here is how the IRS leaked the information about his tax returns to a gay advocacy group. An actual illegal act being hidden behind a distraction.

I hadn't heard that. Links?

Googling it gives me a circular set of links based around a religious blog with an obvious angle and a lawsuit that hasn't been decided. I can't draw a direct connection from one event to the other based on the sources.

15484 Comments. 775 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo