Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 15865 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > Pixel Piracy Dev Suggests Piracy, Wins
22. Re: Pixel Piracy Dev Suggests Piracy, Wins Jun 23, 2014, 14:15 Verno

Creston wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 13:58:
It isn't, though, right? It came from some website who claimed it came straight from Bethesda

I'm pretty sure I read it from a Hines interview but I'll have to go source it.

That's for a dev who leads the sales in one week. Skyrim was in the top ten for TWO YEARS. DayZ reached a million sales after being the top seller for.. what, two months?

Right but being at the top doesn't mean anything in terms of units sold, there are games in the top 10 that sold less than a million too. The actual number of sales fluctuates greatly from week to week and the list itself is by revenue anyway. I don't know how DLC interacts with that too. Top 10 Steam on a slow week might mean 35k sales, there are certainly many slow periods for console sales as well and they have very high attach rates at greater prices. I would love to believe Skyrim did like 5 mil on the consoles but I would be shocked if lifetime sales were more than 3ish mil. Other big games and franchises have been on the list too and not moved the volume you're suggesting. Units sold doesn't denote prices sold at either, the profit margin is pretty important too.

Being at the top of Steam is unfortunately a pretty meaningless metric without more information that Valve won't let people easily disclose.

Anyways I've derailed this enough for one day Let's just say I hope you're right because my roots are in the PC but I suspect otherwise.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Pixel Piracy Dev Suggests Piracy, Wins
19. Re: Pixel Piracy Dev Suggests Piracy, Wins Jun 23, 2014, 13:22 Verno

Creston wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 12:59:
And he's not in the top 10 in sales. That's why I keep saying that the belief that Skyrim only sold a few million copies on the PC is ridiculous, because the top sellers on Steam are selling hundreds of thousands of copies per polling interval (a week, I believe?)

That's straight from Bethesda though and they would know. The AAA base on the PC is considerably smaller than consoles and the consoles have a very good attach rate at $60, PC games tend to be more long tail sellers and at cheaper prices. Skyrim was also heavily marketed towards the console side of things, both Sony and Microsoft had campaigns for it.

I bet its up to 3mil at this point but just being on the Steam top10 list isn't a guarantee of millions of sales or something. I think the volume level of steam sales would surprise you. We've seen a few devs up near the top who say they sold 300,000 which is nothing to scoff at but certainly not millions.

News Comments > Ubisoft "Confident" in Unified Assassin's Creed Unity Launch
11. Re: Ubisoft Jun 23, 2014, 12:53 Verno

Cutter wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 12:39:
Clearly you don't remember that because you obviously have no clue as to what you're talking about - which is nothing new for you however.

Most people have to work to be this obnoxious but for you I suspect its natural Cutter.

News Comments > MS: "We Are Continuing to Support the GFWL Service"
32. Re: MS: Jun 23, 2014, 10:53 Verno

Slashman wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 09:52:
Why would you like to be optimistic?

I like to imagine a scenario where Microsoft realizes the error of its ways and rebuilds its PC gaming image and helps lend more credibility to the industry for AAA releases. Plus I'm just a positive person

Unfortunately Microsoft is all talk and no action as you said

The Xbox is such a weird, divergent platform, I really don't know what they hope to accomplish with it. It is terrible for pushing other brands and divisions within Microsoft and its hamstrung by fierce competition from several other industries. They have a PC monopoly that is slowly dwindling and they're doing nothing with it. Oh well.

News Comments > EA Investigating Incorrect BF3 Bans
2. Re: EA Investigating Incorrect BF3 Bans Jun 23, 2014, 09:26 Verno

2011 was only 3 years ago though Confused  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 23, 2014, 09:25 Verno

Microsoft to finally give Bing the international love it needs.

The only love Bing needs is a tombstone. Google is still infinitely more useful despite the commercialization and at least Google stopped trying to infect desktop computers a few years ago whereas Microsoft is still trying to dump Bing into Windows Update. It magically shows up even after being hidden every time there is a new version too.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 23, 2014, 09:23 Verno

GMs new app lets you scan license plates and text the drivers.

Sorry the app has been recalled to due an "issue"

News Comments > Ubisoft "Confident" in Unified Assassin's Creed Unity Launch
1. Re: Ubisoft Jun 23, 2014, 09:21 Verno

The AC games to be delayed by a week at the last minute but I like their optimism  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2014, 09:21 Verno

I have to say that the world cup games in general are infinitely more entertaining this go than last, higher scores and lots of great plays. Soccer was always a sport I enjoyed playing more than watching but I'm really into it this time.  

News Comments > GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble
53. Re: GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble Jun 23, 2014, 08:36 Verno

I liked Far Cry and Crysis was ok but these guys branched off into weird directions with future games. Bizarre storylines, odd games (A Kinect exclusive really?) and a lot of rapid expansion in terms of satellite studios which is a classic management mistake in the gaming industry.  

News Comments > MS: "We Are Continuing to Support the GFWL Service"
28. Re: MS: Jun 23, 2014, 08:31 Verno

I would really like to be optimistic about these things but Microsofts commitment to their own platform is just a string of broken promises and missed opportunities. They should have been Steam and instead are now neglecting their own platform entirely.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2014, 12:53 Verno

Creston wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 12:38:
That doggie pool party put a smile on my face that's staying there the rest of the day.

Haha yeah, thank god I'm not the one cleaning that pool filter though.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped
30. Re: Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped Jun 20, 2014, 12:16 Verno

Creston wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 11:19:
Why not just give the PC those few extra options and pieces of eye candy? They do it for their other games. Maybe they just don't sell enough PC copies to make it worth it, but then just say that. Don't try to hide it behind this fable that the failbox can run everything a PC can.

It's just marketing fluff to assuage their sales base. The PC version will definitely have extra options and visual detail. It's not even a concern IMO, Ubi has been doing much better in the port department.

News Comments > Play PC Titanfall for Free
17. Re: Play PC Titanfall for Free Jun 20, 2014, 10:59 Verno

Primalchrome wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 10:21:
Whatever happened to all the posts proclaiming TitanFall as the greatest FPS ever created? Anecdotal, yes, but I don't know a single person that is still playing more than a match or two a week.

A month is pretty good for $50-60 IMO. I know several posters who enjoyed it and moved on until they add more later. As long people got their moneys worth then who cares how long its played? I don't want to play games in perpetuity either, it encourages lazy and repetitive design.

It wasn't my cup of tea but I think it was a solid enough first entry in a franchise that just needs more fleshing out.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 20, 2014, 10:33 Verno

Eventually Comcast will cease the amusing corporate disguise and become the government.  

News Comments > EA on "Unacceptable" BF4 Launch
12. Re: EA on Jun 20, 2014, 10:31 Verno

I saw a number of old BF4 build bugs in the Hardline beta which was really disconcerting. I'd like to believe Wilson but history with EA isn't encouraging.  

News Comments > Morning Previews
6. Re: Morning Previews Jun 20, 2014, 10:12 Verno

Finally I can use TrackIR again!  

News Comments > Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped
10. Re: Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped Jun 20, 2014, 10:11 Verno

Far Cry 3 was pretty good but not great, definitely worth a shot though. That said this sounds like PR wank to keep the masses happy, I don't doubt the PC version will have the best visuals.  

News Comments > Play PC Titanfall for Free
10. Re: Play PC Titanfall for Free Jun 20, 2014, 10:10 Verno

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 09:17:
The Half Elf wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 09:15:
Yeah but if they open this open to all of the games on origin... Would beat out select free weekends on steam.
They are playing catch up with Steam.
It's okay I guess. I doubt I will buy Titanfall anyways. Not into these twitch shooters anymore.

Yep its pretty much catch up with Steam but that's fine with me, Origin keeps improving. Now if they would do something about the bizarrely designed client.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown for Linux Released
3. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown for Linux Released Jun 19, 2014, 15:07 Verno

Some people say the same thing about consoles and the PC being a second class citizen. Progress is progress man, the gaming scene on Linux essentially didn't exist 5 years ago. It's come a long way in a pretty reasonable amount of time. I don't really see these mythical Linux braggers here crowing about it either, just you

It undoubtedly has a long way to go but its getting better all the time. If you want to stick with Windows then hey, I don't see anyone telling you to do otherwise

15865 Comments. 794 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo