Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 14986 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > Full Steam Machines Ahead at CES
38. Re: Full Steam Machines Ahead at CES Jan 7, 2014, 11:01 Verno

1. Mom walks into store to buy her child a game system with zero prior knowledge.
2. Mom sees XBox, PS4, and 8 different SteamOS boxes on the shelf.
3. XBox and PS4 get ignored while Mom is trying to figure out which SteamBOX would be the best bang for her buck.

All they need is 1 SteamBox on the shelf that matches the price point of the other consoles and they will win this war in a laugh-er.

Mom has no way of knowing that these things exist and goes with what the television told her is good.

I agree with most of your other points but when it comes to video games parents think of what has been heavily marketed to them or what their kids ask for. I would not buy one of these for a kid either, get them a Wii U or something.

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Fallout 3 Removes GFWL?
9. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 10:59 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 10:57:
Obligatory: I liked Fallout 3 better But yeah, when it comes down to it Bethesda is one of the few companies making games I actually enjoyed playing. Lots of time spent in Fallout 3 and NV with tons of mods. Though I gotta say.. the next game by Beth better be 64bit trough and through and not use Gamebryo

I don't really care what they use but they need to hire better animators and someone needs to revisit the combat engine. Loved Skyrim but those aspects are really showing their age.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2014, 10:30 Verno

What is the gist of his visits there? I haven't been paying attention to that story at all. Drawing attention to the appalling living conditions or just making headlines for the hell of it?  

News Comments > Starbound Sells 1M
2. Re: Starbound Sells 1M Jan 7, 2014, 10:13 Verno

Going to wait until its feature complete and polished to get seriously into it but glad they're doing well.  

News Comments > Steam Machines Announcement
46. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 7, 2014, 09:21 Verno

BitWraith wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 08:48:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 06:20:
Half-Life 2 was not the reason Steam took off.

Keep telling yourself that one.

I'm sure it was a factor but you don't think Counter-Strike had a bigger impact? It was the most played online game for years running after the WON retirement and probably lead to millions of Steam installs.

News Comments > Hitman Game Not Cancelled
10. Re: Hitman Game Not Cancelled Jan 7, 2014, 08:39 Verno

NamecaF wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 23:33:
Task wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 22:44:
But will they learn NOT to put in x-ray and panther vision this time?

You know, you dont have to use it

The game is balanced around it though. You can't really not use the small, linear levels either.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 7, 2014, 08:38 Verno

I don't get it though Fantaz. What do you do, prop the iPad up on a stand or something? It seems really awkward to use a phone/tablet and a controller at the same time.  

News Comments > Steam Machines Announcement
44. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 7, 2014, 08:35 Verno

dj LiTh wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 05:41:
The problem is that you can do that already. Build a pc/htpc, get a wireless mouse and keyboard, wireless controller, and still have a fully functional computer. Why use steamOS when its just going to take away options rather then add?

I think the idea is that its effectively a new platform and that it will ideally expand your options later on. There isn't much of an upside to being an early adopter for something like this unless you really fit the niche.

We could really use something like this in my house though, I've built out a really nice HTPC but it gets used for video so much that I rarely get to do emulation or gaming on it so I could use something for the living room. I love building machines and tinkering but as time goes on the idea of a nice prebuilt in a small form factor is very interesting.

I would really like to get my hands on a controller to see what its like but I guess worst case scenario I hate it and plugin a Dual Shock 4 or my old 360 controller.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Jan 6, 2014, 13:43 Verno

PropheT wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 12:39:
osage no onna wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 11:13:
Does that mean he can't talk to either horde or alliance characters, or that he can talk to both, or how do these pandafolk work?

It means he never left the starting island where he made the character, since you have to choose a faction to leave (I can't remember if that's at level 10 or 20, it's been a while).

So basically, he managed to hit level 80+ without ever leaving the starting zones, which is sort of impressive and insane at the same time.

I've seen people do similar things back when I played. We had a guy in our guild who was leveling solely through herbalism and exploration XP or something like that. Crazy weird stuff. Whatever keeps them happy and not out killing people!

11. Re: Full Steam Machines Ahead at CES Jan 6, 2014, 13:28 Verno

Gaben might say that he's filling a niche, but I bet you he's salivating at the idea of getting a piece of the console moola pie...

I'm sure every business owner wants success but the console market is a different beast than the PC and I don't see this as directly competitive in the same demographics. Many companies in the console market lose quite a bit of money anyway so I doubt that's his aim. I think it has more to do with Microsoft trying to put an Apple store down on everything, they're just hedging their bets with stuff like this and SteamOS.

News Comments > Telltale Stirred, Not Shaken, at James Bond Prospects
10. Re: Telltale Stirred, Not Shaken, at James Bond Prospects Jan 6, 2014, 13:26 Verno

Yeah I've never read the comics either so I'll be going into it just like that, sounds encouraging.  

News Comments > New NVIDIA Mobile SOC Runs Unreal Engine 4
5. Re: New NVIDIA Mobile SOC Runs Unreal Engine 4 Jan 6, 2014, 13:19 Verno

My problems with mobile gaming have less to do with game performance and more with the limited input options and terrible battery life. Maybe for little Android STBs this sort of thing is interesting but even then it feels like a weird niche.  

9. Re: Full Steam Machines Ahead at CES Jan 6, 2014, 13:18 Verno

BitWraith wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 13:15:
Too many options. These will not be successful on the level of Xbox and Playstation. No kid's mom is going to do the homework necessary to buy one of these things. They're just going to buy him an xbox, and he's going to be thrilled with it.

This isn't targeted at that crowd anyway. Valve has said already that they're just trying to fill a niche here and it gives them some relationships with OEMs on SteamOS possibilities.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 6, 2014, 12:55 Verno

robdot wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 12:35:
Anyone who says a ps4 is boring, doesn't like games. There are now 21 games with a metacritic rating over 70.

Yeah I heard you the first time but again, that's a pretty lame generalization and Metacritic is totally meaningless (particularly since the scale of games 70-80 is awful) when it comes to personal taste anyway. I'm sure Injustice and NBA2k14 are good but I'm just not into fighting and sports games. Contrast is a really mediocre game and Knack isn't very good IMO. NBA2k14 is too sim for my taste. There are certainly fun games for the PS4 but I've beaten the two that really appealed to me. AC4 was great and Resogun was solid but other than I'm sort of waiting for Don't Starve and other stuff to come out. I'm happy your PS4 seems a lot of use in your large family with many youngins (to be expected) but I bought my daughter a Wii, she really doesn't need a PS4 so I'm looking for games for me.

Like I said it's a launch year so I knew the deal going into it, I was just hoping platform adoption would be faster. My buddy has an Xbox One with a similar problem now that he beat Dead Rising 3. We're just waiting on more games to come out. Plenty to play on other platforms thankfully.

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2014, 13:07.

News Comments > Telltale Stirred, Not Shaken, at James Bond Prospects
4. Re: Telltale Stirred, Not Shaken, at James Bond Prospects Jan 6, 2014, 12:48 Verno

The Walking Dead (Game) first episode doesn't do a good job selling it, it picks up quite a bit after that.

I haven't played The Wolf Among Us yet but I hear good things.

News Comments > Op Ed
48. Re: Op Ed Jan 6, 2014, 12:22 Verno

Spektr wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 12:18:
Will teach them to buy games at launch!

Someone failed to read the article I see Specifically the part where he addresses that attitude and why it helps to create an environment where companies like EA can get away with it.

News Comments > No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs
11. Re: No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs Jan 6, 2014, 12:21 Verno

$60 for a remodel and the multiplayer DLC packed in, whoop de doo.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 6, 2014, 11:58 Verno

robdot wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 11:48:
My ps4 isn't boring at all , after ac4 i have , injustice, nba 2k14, killzone, resogun, flower,contrast, pinball arcade, skylanders, Lego marvel, trine 2 in 3d, escape plan, need for speed rivals, trine in 3d is wicked awesome. Your ps4 must be broke, you should take it back.

Listing everything available doesn't mean it all appeals to a buyer. Skylanders for my 5 year old maybe? I knew the score on console launches so I'm not upset about it, it was just an offhand comment. I have high hopes for 2014 with The Order 1886, Infamous and so on.

News Comments > No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs
4. Re: No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs Jan 6, 2014, 11:50 Verno

Pr()ZaC wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 11:40:
First to say FUCK 'EM!

Why? You want to get the PC version rebadged for full price? The definitive edition is the PC version with some reworking on the hair animation and other silly stuff.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2014, 11:46 Verno

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 11:27:
Easy way to stop that from happening ever again. Tell him to go to your nearest auto parts supply store and pick up a spray can, tube, or can of silicon emulsion(it's what the material is, actual name varies by brand). Apply to rubber on doors, and that's that.

Haha yeah, I gave him some suggestions already, unfortunately he's the sort of guy who hires people to install blinds in his house. Great with programming and stuff, not so good with his household and cars

14986 Comments. 750 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo