Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 16306 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Gauntlet Released
35. Re: Gauntlet Released Sep 24, 2014, 08:56 Verno

I thought gold was shared, gathering it first only seems to influence the level end score totals.  

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
46. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2014, 16:02 Verno

No that's nonsense, I've answered you and so have other people across multiple threads. You just don't want to see the other perspective and its obvious in how dismissive & mocking every single post you make on the subject has been. It's quite apparent that no explanation will satisfy, you even said below that people shouldn't care or make a big deal out of it because there are bigger things in the world, as if that couldn't be applied to almost anything.

Anyways I'm sure there will be another article next week until the clicks stop coming so I'm off for the weekend, seeya next week fellas

News Comments > Op Ed
44. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2014, 15:40 Verno

Given everything thats been revealed over the past few weeks I can forgive people for being a bit abrasive, you've been no stranger to that in a few posts too.

No one is asking you to care about this anyway, you're the one questioning other people and you've been responded to several times but obviously don't want to see the other side of it so *shrug*.

News Comments > New GeForce GPUs & Drivers
38. Re: New GeForce GTX 980 & 970 GPUs & Drivers Sep 19, 2014, 15:29 Verno

There are certainly some niche scenarios at that resolution it makes sense for but I was speaking more generally. If I was gaming at 1080p I'd wait for the 20nm refresh but to each his own

Either way I'm very happy with the 970 and 980, great cards and the prices are surprisingly modest for Nvidia. 4k gaming for under $700, craziness.

News Comments > Op Ed
42. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2014, 15:19 Verno

People can barely be bothered to raise a stink about actual journalists who misreport the actual news that affects actual people's lives. To be so outraged about this, as if it matters or is in any way a good use of activistic energy in the slightest just seems to be dishonest and piling into the same agenda-driving train they are simultaneously railing against.

That's making assumptions about others behavior, who says everyone is up in arms? You paint a dramatic picture but the reality is more mundane. It's text, I don't see people marching on Washington over it. A bunch of shitty journalists and industry editorialists have been engaging in hypocritical behavior and are now being called out for it. Seems pretty straight forward to me. People tend to care about things related to their interests more and you should at least be cognizant enough to see that it matters to others even if you don't care. I can care (outrage seems like a purposely loaded word to choose) about many things simultaneously, I'm good at multitasking like that

People can say this sort of stuff sucks while also caring about other issues, it's not binary.

News Comments > Op Ed
40. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2014, 14:46 Verno

Also saying "who cares" in every thread related to this makes it obvious to me that the person saying it does care and is likely trying to downplay what's been revealed

If you don't care, don't click and leave the rest of us to discuss it. There are many things in life I think are unimportant but I recognize that they might matter to others.

You can get extremely cynical about everything and sweep it all under the rug with "people suck, dont be surprised blaaaaah!" but to me, context and circumstances matter. I think that the reporting on gaming related activities sucks but I don't think it has to always be that way. These sorts of things being forced into the public eye might actually help effect some change....or it might not but either way I want to know.

26. Re: New GeForce GTX 980 & 970 GPUs & Drivers Sep 19, 2014, 13:59 Verno

I run at 1080p with at least 2xAA with a 570 but don't get 60fps in newer titles.
You're suggesting the 970 is an overkill upgrade?

Also, my MSI 570 OC runs pretty quiet until intense load. Might have to grab from MSI again

Well I mean its up to you of course but you can get 60fps from a lesser card in most titles, especially if you back off Ultra settings/detail maxes. There are of course outlier titles so its hard to account for everything. In general 1080p isn't very demanding and I'm sure there will be a 960 at some point too for 1080p configs. This kind of card is better for a 1440p+ type setup IMO.

Some people prefer to spend a bundle up front and not have to worry about it for 4 years though so to each his own. I'm grabbing a 970 to OC and drive a 1440p config but if it was just my old 24" 1080p Dell then I would just wait a bit and see what else pops up.

23. Re: New GeForce GTX 980 & 970 GPUs & Drivers Sep 19, 2014, 13:47 Verno

If you want quiet/cool I would go for the Asus Strix or MSI TwinFrozr. The former doesn't even run its fan until its under load and is relatively quiet. MSI made really good quiet models last gen too.  

20. Re: New GeForce GTX 980 & 970 GPUs & Drivers Sep 19, 2014, 13:28 Verno

It's worth noting that the 970 has a lot of headroom for OCing too, a few sites already had it surpassing the 980 in some benches.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 19, 2014, 11:49 Verno

Its been a bit divisive but most of the 100+ people on my PS4 friends list have been playing nothing but Destiny since launch so I think they're doing just fine. Shame that it might cost Bungie a performance bonus though.  

13. Re: New GeForce GTX 980 & 970 GPUs & Drivers Sep 19, 2014, 11:17 Verno

Anyone know if the GTX 770 is actually any better then the new GTX 970 card? I've looked over the stats, and yes the 970 does have a little better specs compared to the GTX 770. so, im wondering which card is actually better.

The 970 is significantly better than the 770, almost twice as fast in some benchmarks and usually at least a 20% bump in others. It also runs cooler and quieter while using equivalent power.

It also depends on what games you play and what resolutions obviously. If you're just running at 1080p you don't need any of this stuff, its complete overkill.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 2014, 11:23.

11. Re: New GeForce GTX 980 & 970 GPUs & Drivers Sep 19, 2014, 10:36 Verno

ForgedReality wrote on Sep 19, 2014, 10:19:
Thinking of getting in on the 980. That will be a pretty impressive upgrade from my aging 3gb 580, which was $700 at the time it came out, and it's like double the power draw.

But the 28nm... I dunno. Should I buy now so I can play GTA5, or wait until the 20nm variants come through? OR buy now, then sell when the new ones arrive...?

These things are already pretty powerful, running very cool and have low power draw for the performance. I'm not waiting, there's always something better around the corner in the tech industry. With TSMCs constant yield issues who knows when we'll even see them.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
57. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2014, 10:05 Verno

Crunch wrote on Sep 19, 2014, 09:42:
Verno wrote on Sep 19, 2014, 09:31:
The discoverability on the forums is fairly poor (the site in general has a very "busy" dual nav with many outdated aspects that could be removed).
You mean the navbar on the left? Dang, it still has a link for .plan files fingering. It's great that it's still here for sentimental value though..

Yeah there's several different nav bars, much of it outmoded. The PDA link still makes me chuckle a bit. The lan party link makes me nostalgic though.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Released
2. Re: Wasteland 2 Released Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 Verno

Awesome, one of the few KS I backed. Too bad I'm really into South Park right now, what an underrated game.  

4. Re: New GeForce GTX 980 & 970 GPUs & Drivers Sep 19, 2014, 10:02 Verno

There are some ACXs out already but I think the Asus Strix is the more impressive showing, at least of the launch profile cards. No fan activity until the card hits 67 degrees is pretty impressive.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
55. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2014, 09:31 Verno

Creston wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 11:39:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 17:12:
Let me reiterate, I have been lurking here for 10 or so years... Blues has a Forum? Isn't every news post a new forum topic, essentially?

Yes, but they basically vanish after two days, (or a week if it's large enough to be in the popular threads category) and our thinking at the time was that this caused certain hotly debated topics to keep spilling over from comment section to another, like the current #gamergate (my apologies for using that terrible term) discussion is doing.

So we figured that if we had a forum, we'd all just take that kind of stuff to the forum so we didn't all keep repeating the same points in 5 different comments sections.

It never really happened, unfortunately, so Frans/Blue did quite a bit of work for little pay-off. Sorry about that, Blue.

The discoverability on the forums is fairly poor (the site in general has a very "busy" dual nav with many outdated aspects that could be removed). Normally if you want people to use a forum, you have to drive traffic there. That's even more true on a site like this where you also have a competing comment system. It also needs to have the features people are used to which the forum here does not. I don't use the actual forums here because of poor visibility, lack of modern features and the prevalence of the comment system.

Third party integration like Disqus would be a decent option if they don't have the time or resources but it seems like most users here are strongly adverse to any change (good or bad) so I think its more likely things will keep going as is I'm not unhappy with that, I enjoy the community and appreciate the news aggregation but I would also love to see some modern features and would be happy to help out if it was needed.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews Sep 19, 2014, 09:09 Verno

The 970 is the real prize winner there. $329 is very very reasonable for the performance and features. AMD is going to be forced to drop prices across the board.

I would avoid the eVGA ACXs this time around, I was reading other benchmarks and in some cases they were showing worse numbers than the reference series.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIII for PC Announced
28. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIII for PC Announced Sep 19, 2014, 09:07 Verno

I'm always amazed at how subjective taste is, I thought FFXIII was a train wreck. I hear 13-2 redeems it but I can't bring myself to play it, XIII left such a bad impression. People compare it to FFX but I think that's being too favorable, FFX was linear where it had to be but had more than enough freedom to allow for the usual collectibles, hidden weapons and so on. FFXIII had Gran Pulse and then you're back on the train. The level design in FFXIII was insulting too, literal corridors everywhere, no ability to backtrack or explore.  

News Comments > MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed
133. Re: MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed Sep 19, 2014, 08:26 Verno

They also murdered them all  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 18, 2014, 15:25 Verno

Hyatus wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 15:09:
Just because you are not oppressing someone doesn't mean that it is not a problem in our white, heterosexual male community. We are at a point where, I believe, most of us will tell someone using the n-word or other racially-based insult to STFU. That is not (generally) true when someone uses insults based on sexual orientation.

That's too regional though. Some places are horribly backward in both respects, others are very progressive. You would never get away with either around here. I love cons and have attended many in several countries, I've never encountered an unsafe (as they put it) environment for LGBT.

It's their money so hey if they want a con then no skin off my back. I just think its a bit exclusionary and ultimately unnecessary.

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 2014, 15:35.

16306 Comments. 816 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo