Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 16037 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Casey Hudson Departs BioWare
28. Re: Casey Hudson Departs BioWare Aug 8, 2014, 10:33 Verno

That's fair, you're right he did a lot of fantastic things in his career and it shouldn't be defined by the one mistake he made. ME3 was a pretty good game anyway despite the ending.  

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 8, 2014, 10:22 Verno

That was an excellent read, not just for views and insights on mobile market development but as a reality check for people getting into game dev. The author is brutally honest about his mistakes and how it affected his relationship with his friend. Great article.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 8, 2014, 10:14 Verno

The DTV is for Europe just FYI.  

News Comments > Casey Hudson Departs BioWare
26. Re: Casey Hudson Departs BioWare Aug 8, 2014, 08:46 Verno

saluk wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 02:20:
Mistakes as bad as ME3 are on everyone. Nice to have a scapegoat I guess.

If you mean the ending, he and the head writer were directly responsible for it and shut out the rest of the team while working on it. He's not simply a scapegoat or indirectly responsible as a manager.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2014, 13:30 Verno

The native advertising video is a good watch, its been a disturbing trend going on for awhile now and you see a lot of it hidden in those dumb "Top X lists" on the internet.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 7, 2014, 13:15 Verno

It's about how they were let go in some cases, very unprofessionally which has always been an issue in the gaming industry.

I don't think you understand just how poor job stability is in the gaming industry either.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 7, 2014, 13:12 Verno

My smartphone is already fantastic so yeah I would agree that I just want more battery life out of it rather than silly stuff like 3D display and so on.  

News Comments > Ryse: Son of Rome Roaming onto PCs
13. Re: Ryse: Son of Rome Roaming onto PCs Aug 7, 2014, 12:55 Verno

I've played this and frankly its mediocre crap that should be avoided on any platform.  

News Comments > July Steam Hardware & Software Survey
27. Re: July Steam Hardware & Software Survey Aug 7, 2014, 12:51 Verno

UHD wrote on Aug 7, 2014, 10:10:
Thing is, I don't think anyone's ever said Vista is better than 7. They're similar in many ways, but 7 is still a marked improvement no matter how much you liked Vista.

Guessing Windows 9 is going to be roughly the same story: it's Windows 8 with slightly different window dressing (hurp derp) and improvements under the hood, and people are going to lap that shit up because of the knee-jerk "Windows Vista 8 is awful!"

Many of those comments were from release when things were worse. Windows 8 does have some genuinely awful shit going on at times though. The fact that you can avoid much of it does nothing to change it. People like to talk about nebulous improvements that they can't even quantify without referencing an Arstechnica article on the system kernel but they conveniently avoid feature regressions between Windows 7 and Windows 8. Examples like putting some system level settings in Metro apps, changing how wi-fi configuration is handled and a more convoluted user system. The charms bar is absolutely absurd (and thankfully being murdered in Windows 9) and there are a host of other issues that people ran into. That's without going into the idiocy behind two different user interfaces vying for attention, both designed with completely different input methodology in mind.

Sure you can disable a lot of it but the average user bitching about Windows 8 probably doesn't know that. So yeah I think people had some very valid bitches about Windows 8, a lot of its flaws get whitewashed by people who seem to think that because they downloaded Classic Shell that makes everything ok.

We don't know what Windows 9 is yet other than its reverting a bunch of dumb shit from Windows 8 so it could be radically different and earn its praise or a minor improvement. To say that people will love it unreservedly because its not Windows 8 is missing the bigger picture IMO.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2014, 13:29.

News Comments > Counter-Strike Nexon: Zombies Announced
7. Re: Counter-Strike Nexon: Zombies Announced Aug 7, 2014, 10:44 Verno

The whole fun of Counter-Strike to me is playing against other people, not AI that you can figure out quickly. Oh well, I know some people love playing against AI so whatever.  

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 7, 2014, 08:58 Verno

Mad Max RW wrote on Aug 7, 2014, 08:33:
I swear to God people on this site will turn anything into an argument.

There are so many entrenched personality conflicts and the user base is relatively small so this shouldn't be surprising, you're guilty of the same thing often (as am I)

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Synology NAS users hit with Cryptolocker variant. Aug 6, 2014, 13:19 Verno

Rigs wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 11:42:
I dunno about anyone else, but this Cryptolocker scares the livin' shit outta me! Since you don't know anything is happening until after it's done encrypting all of your shit, there's no easy way to tell if things are going wrong. Is there any malware/AV apps that actually proactively block this thing? I mean, there doesn't seem to be any defense against it if you do encounter it. *knocks on wood* I've been relatively lucky lately in that I haven't hit anything nasty but with all the shit I typically download, it's always in the back of my mind. I have 5terabytes worth of stuff, so it can't be easily backed up to optical or tape media. The only real way is to keep it on a hard drive. I guess maybe I should look into setting up a fail safe drive that isn't connected to the Net or the home network or any other systems and keep things there...What a pain in the ass! Just because some losers like to fuckin' show off their l33t skillz but screwing over everyone else!

=-Rigs-=

If you have 5TB of stuff you really care about then its worth getting a few externals or uploading it all to Backblaze. The only solution to ongoing data integrity is backups and consistently testing those backups.

CryptoLocker is just the latest in ransomware unfortunately, its a trend that has been going on for some time. Keeping up with your security patches and OS updates is the best defense beyond the usual safe user practices. Updated versions of DSM for example aren't affected by SynoLocker

1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2014, 09:35 Verno

A whole day vacation? You're on sweatshop hours Blue  

News Comments > Blizzard Financials; WoW Down to 6.8M Subs
28. Re: Blizzard Financials; WoW Down to 6.8M Subs Aug 6, 2014, 08:56 Verno

PropheT wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 02:49:
It's not the game that most old players are missing, it's the people and guilds and everything that made the game what they thought it was back then. The game itself is better now than it was during vanilla or BC... people pining for the old days need to realize that their nostalgia for that period wasn't the game itself but the experiences they had during it, and those aren't just going to re-materialize if that game came back.

That and I think many people simply do not have the time to play WoW that they used to. With a family, a new set of hobbies and other games to play I just don't have time for WoW, at least not enough to get the same satisfaction out of it that I used to.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $49M; Ongoing Funding Explained
28. Re: Star Citizen at $49M; Ongoing Funding Explained Aug 5, 2014, 15:22 Verno

I don't know how you roll so many disparate game types into a single game effectively but the end result will be interesting either way. That said I have not put a dime into this and will not touch it until at least one of those things is finished.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Aug 5, 2014, 11:27 Verno

For anyone with a Synology NAS there is a cryptolocker variant targeting it making the rounds, might want to make sure DSM is updated.  

News Comments > Into the Black
7. Re: Into the Black Aug 5, 2014, 10:56 Verno

Cutter wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 00:18:
It'll never get done because America is the land of rampant paranoia. It's pretty difficult for you guys to see it from the inside, but very easy for everyone else on the outside. There are boogiemen and enemies everywhere!

Good job voting back in that corrupt Liberal government in Ontario. Canada is the land of inertia where everyone complains but no one does anything, what's your point?

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2014, 10:09 Verno

PHJF wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 09:52:
Guardians is for all intents and purposes The Avengers by another name. I found both Guardians and Avengers mediocre at best.

I was digging through my PS3 games and stumbled upon Tales of Xillia. Having no recollection of purchasing it, I vaguely recalled playing a bit and being bored in the extreme. Then I skipped on to Ni no Kuni and decided to play that again, instead. A really remarkable game not garnering a quarter as much notice from gamers as it deserves, and an extraordinary cooperative effort between Level 5 and Studio Ghibli.

Ni No Kuni was pretty good but man that party AI really drags it down. I was able to get around it with some specific companions but its a shame they paid so little attention to that aspect since it really makes the combat tedious at times.

Yeah I wouldn't say I loved The Avengers either, it was alright. I know nothing about Guardians so hopefully that tempers my expectations.

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Aug 5, 2014, 10:07 Verno

Yeah I just noted the same thing in the console section since it mentioned Sacred 3 was out there too. I played Sacred 3 on the weekend and it is by far one of the worst games I've played in awhile. They stripped out loot and pretty much everything else resembling depth, instead it feels like a shoddy beat em up.  

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 5, 2014, 09:29 Verno

Re: xbox - Or they could just drop the damned price. You're selling inferior hardware, price it accordingly.

I checked out Sacred 3 on the weekend by the way, I am a big fan of the franchise. Sacred 3 is an unbelievable turd that no one should waste their time on, it is bad and diverges from the main series on so many levels. Maybe one day write up a proper teardown on it but I'm not sure its even worth the time, it's a terrible game.

16037 Comments. 802 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo