Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 16001 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: GRRM Jul 28, 2014, 15:20 Verno

Stormsinger wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 15:06:
Admittedly, the man's a slow writer, but I suspect that may have something to do with why his books are uniformly good.

Uniformly good? I wouldn't go that far haha.

I think the show has actually exceeded the books in many aspects but I worry about where they'll take it. Its clear he cannot finish the series as fast as they can film it (which is so messed up considering the jump he had on it) so now the concern is what they decide to do with the vague outline he gave them for the series ending.

Edit: spelling

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2014, 15:28.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Facepunch Announces Riftlight; Defends Rust
7. Re: Facepunch Announces Riftlight; Defends Rust Jul 28, 2014, 11:18 Verno

I like the guy who compared their development approach to taking a dump, hahah.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
22. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 28, 2014, 10:45 Verno

Rogues are only really good for taking down a boss quickly but my 2H Warrior can do that too and actually take hits. My mages are ridiculous, they can CC everything, clear the field and rarely ever take a hit.

Rogues are playable but not really optimal compared to other classes IMO. But of course its an RPG so do whatever fancies you

News Comments > Op Ed
106. Re: Op Ed Jul 26, 2014, 23:52 Verno

yuastnav wrote on Jul 26, 2014, 17:58:
This whole business of blocking someone because you got really emotional over something that person said is silly.

Err no it's not, people often do the same thing with others who annoy them in real life. This isn't work, people don't need to get along with every other user and its not realistic to expect that. I only have 2 people on my block list and frankly the site reading experience is much more enjoyable this way. There are some people that have nothing useful to offer or never concede a point and life is too short to waste time with it. There are other times where you know you just can't get along with someone and want to spare everyone else reading the back and forth. I don't really make a big deal out of it either, I was just using it a point to explain to Mad Max that its better to actually ignore them instead of doing that weird "well I guess he was saying this but ignored so lol" type stuff.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Diary and Everest Contest
5. Re: Far Cry 4 Diary and Everest Contest Jul 25, 2014, 15:16 Verno

Creston wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 14:55:
What baffled me is that there are basically like 2000 people on Everest at all times, yet everyone will just let some poor slob die without bothering to help.

Perhaps it's time for some nice scouring winds to blow all the assholes OFF Everest. Where's my fan...

High altitude climbing is really rough on the body, 8000m peak require some serious acclimatization. The low pressure environment makes aerial rescue above base camps impossible and the low oxygen makes a manual rescue very difficult without a co-ordinated effort from many people. You have enough trouble putting one foot in front of the other, let alone hauling someone around. Plus you're on a huge mountain, usually on a severe incline with the potential for avalanche, inclement weather, serac collapse, rock fall, other climbers and etc. Assuming you can even effect a rescue in the first place, it would need to involve probably 5-8 people to be in a remotely safe manner if the person is immobile. Even then some rescues will be impossible and could just kill everyone involved. Shit people die all the time on Mount Rainier, let alone K2 or Everest.

If you are mobile people will probably help you, if you can't move well....you knew the risks and expecting other people to almost certainly lose their lives isn't fair either. Most accidents happen on the descent of a mountain as well and loss of life can be very sudden. Your brain does funny things when you're oxygen deprived, people have literally just wandered off the edge of the Kangshung face of Everest in broad daylight, 5000m straight drop to the glacier. Other people just sit down and die. One guy dragged 2 other people to their deaths on Kangchenjunga. Trying to help someone might mean endangering your own life in ways you might not immediately consider.

I'm a climber and as a sport it attracts a lot of cool people but it is also prime ground for that narcissistic, alpha male personality who just wants to summit no matter what the risks to themselves or others. Getting those kinds of people to abandon their own summit attempts (which cost like 40-60k in the case of Everest) to help someone is an exercise in futility. I would never put a climb above someones life but I don't climb 8000m peaks (yet) so its easy to talk about a situation I haven't been in.

This comment was edited on Jul 25, 2014, 15:23.

3. Re: Far Cry 4 Diary and Everest Contest Jul 25, 2014, 14:07 Verno

Oh it's even worse before then. It's hilarious how screwed up the industry surrounding it is.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 25, 2014, 12:33 Verno

They dropped that requirement yesterday I think. I hear the last gen versions suck (PS3 in particular) but YMMV.  

News Comments > Op Ed
96. Re: Op Ed Jul 25, 2014, 12:24 Verno

A response to the issue/article is what I meant, not the people you're angry at for various reasons. Beamer is one of two people on my permanent ignore list and will never come off but JD is pretty level headed and you just disagree on this. There's really no need for "does being a SJW get you laid" type crap, that's some childish stuff.  

News Comments > Op Ed
94. Re: Op Ed Jul 25, 2014, 11:57 Verno

Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 09:41:
If you're gullible enough to think Beamer and jdreyer are sincere then you're as worthless as they are.

So make an actual rebuttal like the rest of us instead of poo flinging. It doesn't matter if you convince them or not, other people read it too.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 25, 2014, 11:55 Verno

PHJF wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 10:19:
Can you guys shut up about Destiny? I don't want to buy a console with only one worthwhile game on it, however crack cocaine-like its euphoric potential may be.

Its a cool game but man playing FPS with a gamepad is just so messed up. The whole difficulty comes from the retarded aiming rather than the AI or etc. People always tell me you need time to adjust and all that but it is just inferior to mouse aiming several times over. I think I might just wait and see if a PC version comes out. I'm having fun with the beta but I find myself equally frustrated with the aiming.

1. Re: Far Cry 4 Diary and Everest Contest Jul 25, 2014, 09:48 Verno

First that dumb parkour contest and now this. I really hope this is just to visit base camp and not to climb the mountain. Everest doesn't have a lot of technical difficulty but still has a very high risk due to various altitude related illnesses like HACE and HAPE, not to mention going through the khumbu icefall several times for acclimatization.

edit: (iii) guided trek to Mount Everest base camp; and (iv) $1,000 spending allowance awarded in the form of a check

Ok good, they still have some sense left.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
5. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 25, 2014, 09:02 Verno

As Seph would say, Poes law right there.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 24, 2014, 12:56 Verno

So it's a list of all politicians?

The money breakdown is a good idea, too bad its an optional plugin that will never get traction with enough eyeballs to matter.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 24, 2014, 12:51 Verno

nin wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 11:15:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 11:11:
How about instead of 3D playback that virtually no one cares about, you give us the proper system standby and resume functionality that was promised before launch?

What problem are you having? I use standby all the time. I even kicked off the destiny install while I was at work (and the system was in standby), and had it 30% downloaded when I got home...

They promised system level game suspend/resume from standby mode. As in you can put the system into low power standby in the middle of a level then resume to exactly where you left off later on. Right now it lets you suspend/resume applications but only if the system stays in a powered on state. Destiny's install process runs in the background from standby (its just downloading), this is not the same thing as playing Infamous then getting interrupted, trying to standby and losing progress. Sony needs to get better with these updates, Microsoft is iterating very quickly and if they ever stop sticking their head up their ass then things could turn around.

Many games checkpoint these days but it's still annoying to have to go through the process of reloading the game, getting back to where you were and etc. Anyone with a family will understand why this sort of feature is attractive, being able to instantly resume where you left off is huge. This was supposed to be a launch feature so they should stop farting around and do it already.

News Comments > Op Ed
83. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2014, 12:15 Verno

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 09:26:
NKD wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 06:53:
The flavor of feminism that is prevalent on the Internet today straight up isn't working. The Internet is more toxic for women than it has ever been, and like I said, people are becoming polarized instead of working together to find solutions.

This is in regards to the recent new hire at Giant Bomb but I think TotalBiscuit hit the nail on the head. There are important issues in games like representation that should be discussed but the discussion has become so dominated by bull-headed people on both sides who only think in binary absolutes and treat even mild disagreement as a call to war that a lot of reasonable participants are just throwing up their hands and saying "I don't agree with either of you so I'm out." That's quickly what I'm becoming.

I agree with the core causes of lack of representation of women and minorities in games and the games industry. I'd love to see more of both, seriously. But the absolute entrenchment of people on both sides of this debate who basically say "You either agree with me in full or you're as bad as the trolls." is only harming discourse. You can agree with a cause without fully supporting the position of its more extreme supporters (on either side) and having a different point of view on how to solve a problem.

The Polygon article in question here is not really what I'd call an extreme example but there have been far greater ones on that site and far more so elsewhere. A regular Polygon contributor is the person TB is referring to at the start of his commentary. Treating an important social discussion as a war instead of a discussion eventually leaves none but the most extreme participants present and that does no good for anyone.

That's pretty much where I'm at too. You can see several people doing it in this thread even, if you don't agree wholeheartedly with everything said then suddenly you're a woman hater who never gets laid and blah blah blah.

News Comments > Steam Controller Redesigned?
15. Re: Steam Controller Redesigned? Jul 24, 2014, 09:25 Verno

I actually kind of like it now and the pads can double as a dpad.  

News Comments > Op Ed
80. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2014, 08:55 Verno

yuastnav wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 07:38:
After reading the article I am at a loss why so many of you find it so upsetting, as if it was attacking you personally.

Who said anyone is upset? People just want to discuss it and they can't do it there because they locked the comments from the start. Maybe people don't agree with their conclusions or think that their experiences aren't indicative of the norm but they have shut down all conversation which seems really bizarre when you're trying to get people on your side about something.

News Comments > Op Ed
47. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 18:05 Verno

UHD wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 15:10:
Your presumption is that the gender spread will equalize (assuming 50/50 I guess) and that equal representation will solve the problem outright. That's not necessarily the case, particularly if the culture doesn't change, and it doesn't make it okay to handwave the current state of affairs.

I didn't handwave anything, I addressed it in a realistic manner rather than getting all dramatic and assuming I could "fix" the problem if I summoned enough outrage and posted online enough times. I know that it is a problem that can't be easily boiled down to bullet points and resolved like a 30 minute sitcom. It also affects other races and yes men as well.

It is absolutely harmful because it furthers the idea that men should look at women as sexual objects first and people second. That is one of the main points of the article. Women can't complain on one hand while ignoring it on the other. If we must endure a hundred articles on this subject then they can write some aimed at the women who are also prolonging that mentality.

You're blaming the victim. How do you not see that?

Nonsense, I was addressing a relevant point that is directly referenced in the article.

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 14:52 Verno

UHD wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 14:08:
Time isn't going to naturally cure all wounds; women's suffrage wasn't a time-release issue. It took effort. You're right that it's not a simple problem with simple solutions. "Do nothing because that's just the way it is" is a simple solution.

Comparing this to womens suffrage feels almost like hyperbole. "Also do nothing" isn't much of a solution either, this article isn't really making any significant points of action. I was just recognizing that it will take time for the gender spread to be more equal, its already started in many ways when you look at the past 10 years and how the demographics have changed. People like the idea that we can all just hop to a solution and make it happen over night but this sort of change is very gradual and requires patience.

I don't think the proverbial GAMERGURL harms the cause of "don't be a dick to women" because you shouldn't be projecting the GAMERGURL's peculiarities onto other women. Much like saying ALL gamer dudez are sexist pigs. It's obviously not true universally, but the sentiment works both ways and doesn't excuse shitty behavior in either case.

It is absolutely harmful because it furthers the idea that men should look at women as sexual objects first and people second. That is one of the main points of the article. Women can't complain on one hand while ignoring it on the other. If we must endure a hundred articles on this subject then they can write some aimed at the women who are also prolonging that mentality.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 12:55 Verno

UHD wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 12:18:
Then what was the point of bringing up those things, except to present the argument that their presence somehow counterbalances the real problems? I'm genuinely curious.

I explained it below, it's not a simple situation. These things happen for a variety of reasons and understanding the reasoning is important. It's also important to understand that there might be nothing people can realistically do about the problem other than allow time to pass. It's also important to acknowledge that women have a role in helping influence their own destiny too, thats why I brought up the example of women who actually damage their own "cause".

16001 Comments. 801 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo