Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 17510 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Released
47. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Released May 19, 2015, 13:54 Verno

I find the game perfectly fine to control using the gamepad, no issues at all. I can play gamepad & KB/M interchangeably in everything except FPS and RTS.

I think its a great game so far but I'm only a few hours in.

Playing: Dark Souls 2: Scholars of the First Sin
Watching: Mr. Robot
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews May 19, 2015, 13:36 Verno

ItBurn wrote on May 19, 2015, 11:44:
I pure hate the new Eurogamer review system.

Why? The lack of a score I assume? Or just the authors comments about morality and such?

News Comments > etc.
35. Re: etc. May 19, 2015, 13:34 Verno

By the "wider context of GG", I mean all reasonable people already know GG is a harassment campaign perpetrated by manchildren who feel threatened by things they don't like or don't understand. After all, that's why GG was even mentioned in the report to begin with, because it was such a prominent source of abuse.

"All reasonable people" like yourself of course I assume? In other words the reports don't matter unless they're favorable to something you care about and negative to something you don't.

Almost like a man child who feels threatened by things he doesn't understand or like? This kind of nonsense is just as bad as the dude on twitter calling women names.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 19, 2015, 13:31 Verno

Ozmodan wrote on May 18, 2015, 10:44:
What is amazing is that people actually try to defend their cheating.

I directly blame console game writers because they have been putting in cheat codes in games forever and therein lies the problem, sanctified cheating.

It's a video game, I give a shit when someone cheats on their taxes, video games not so much.

45. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Released May 19, 2015, 13:20 Verno

InBlack wrote on May 19, 2015, 12:42:
Verno wrote on May 19, 2015, 09:46:
I'm playing with a gamepad on my HTPC in the living room and its pretty twitchy for sure, I'm going to see about tweaking sensitivity later. Can't agree with you about the graphics at all, I've got everything cranked and fully modded Skyrim never looked this good.

Verno, does the game handle better with a K+M or with a controller? Im seriously bad with controllers, but I would be willing to put the effort in to get to grips with it if its worth it.

I don't know, I'm only using a gamepad with Steam Big Picture since I'm playing on my HTPC in the living room. Game is way too gorgeous for a small screen

39. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Released May 19, 2015, 12:08 Verno

The volume in the prerendered cutscenes is way too low, I have to crank my receiver to hear them. That would be fine but its not consistent with the in game volume which is waaay too loud after the cutscenes finish.  

31. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Released May 19, 2015, 10:37 Verno

You will definitely get $50 worth out of it, assuming you like third person RPGs. It's quasi open world but not as watered down as most if that helps, the sidequests have real personality to them as opposed to collecting bear asses.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 19, 2015, 09:51 Verno

Cutter wrote on May 18, 2015, 21:16:
Mmm, yes. He seemed so nice and responsible in trying to have some people murdered, didn't he?

You were the one claiming he was being railroaded during the trial.

26. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Released May 19, 2015, 09:46 Verno

nin wrote on May 19, 2015, 09:22:

My example was Scatterblak, not you. In his post history, he complains another game isn't first person, so it "sucks".

And people complained about GTA first person, when it was obvious it was a feature added on later, and not one originally designed/included.

Did you bother reading the date on those? His last post was 9 years ago. Give the guy a break already.

Movement is a bit annoying, but I recall that being the case in Witcher 2 as well. Geralt will abruptly turn or start animations if you barely touch the keyboard. I've run in to many people while riding the horse. I've stopped using the horse if I'm in town or not going very far. The movement reminds me of Assassin's Creed, only Geralt isn't trying to climb every tiny rock he sees. I think Skyrim is slightly better in the graphics area.

I'm playing with a gamepad on my HTPC in the living room and its pretty twitchy for sure, I'm going to see about tweaking sensitivity later. Can't agree with you about the graphics at all, I've got everything cranked and fully modded Skyrim never looked this good.

19. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Released May 19, 2015, 09:14 Verno

Task wrote on May 19, 2015, 09:06:
So not too buggy? That's my main concern - anyhow I don't get my disc copy in the mail until the end of the week.

I had a crash to desktop once but that's about it, seems pretty good so far.

News Comments > More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy
3. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 19, 2015, 09:11 Verno

AMDs driver outreach team is notoriously small and hard to get a hold of. Nvidia on the other hand has great relationships with developers and is easy to interact with on a regular basis. I think its a matter of resources and commitment more than anything else. I don't believe devs are purposely crippling performance, especially considering most of them need to optimize for AMD on the console side of things anyway.  

14. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Released May 19, 2015, 08:59 Verno

ItBurn wrote on May 19, 2015, 08:21:
Played 20 minutes.
The game runs like garbage on my geforce 670.
I mean, the game is beautiful, but it doesn't seem well optimized for the quality I'm seeing. Also, the cinematics run like sh*t even if they're pre-rendered.

Can't say much more about the game for now, but it does seem polished.

Runs pretty well on my 970, probably just need to drop settings.

I'm pretty happy with the game so far but I don't like the pointless twirls and other stupid shit Geralt does before an attack. I'm playing on Death March and every hit counts so getting stun locked into oblivion because Geralt decides to do a spin that has a useless animation cycle before every attack is pretty dumb. It's even worse considering the writers makes fun of Ciri doing this in the prologue.

That aside the quality of the game can't be understated. I did 3 sidequests already, all felt realistic within the game world as opposed to collecting pointless items and 2 of them had unintended consequences that made me think twice about my actions. Graphically its beautiful and the world is full of hand crafted detail rather than procedural blandness like Elder Scrolls games often feel like. The voice acting is a marked improvement over prior games too.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse May 19, 2015, 08:57 Verno

Watches are way more profitable I guess. Sadly I can see that being true, the margins on TVs are razor thin except at the very high end.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
9. Re: Evening Mobilization May 15, 2015, 08:43 Verno

I don't know, the console market in Japan is getting really tough so I can empathize with their position somewhat but the way Konami went about all of this is terrible.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue May 14, 2015, 14:55 Verno

jdreyer wrote on May 14, 2015, 13:47:
Verno wrote on May 14, 2015, 11:35:
Between the R rating and the reviews I'm sold on Mad Max. My GF picked Age of Ultron for her movie night and that was some truly forgettable wank so I'm looking at this as payback

Yeah, Avengers 2 was Spiderman 3 as the first Avengers was to Spiderman 2. Both A2 & S3 reeked of studio intervention. The new Cap movie does too, and I expect it to be similar. The one thing I do understand is that the original cut was over 3 hours, so that might make it a better movie.

Mad Max sounds like a movie to see in the theaters for sure.

I don't agree with the studio comment and Joss was pretty clear in saying hes hand a free hand for the most part. If anything I think he has too much control at this point.

Things I disliked in Avengers: Age of Ultron (no spoilers)

- Pointless red herrings eating up screen time
- Speaking of screen time, bloated runtime that is poorly spent
- Ultron has literally zero development, instantly becomes the villain in a 20 second plot segment
- meanwhile 15 minutes of screentime spent developing Hawkeyes character that really goes nowhere
- Joss Whedon witty banter is out of control, every character sounds the same and like they all belong in a Buffy episode. No one actually has their own voice anymore, its all instant snapback sarcasm and wit, almost like an ABC women's sitcom
- Plot sideswiping just gets silly with constant shifts in location that seem more about setting up set piece fights that seemingly have no stakes
- Blatant asian audience pandering, seriously obnoxious stuff I have no idea why asians aren't more offended by this practice but whatever their money
- Random character death that makes no real sense when you think about the context
- Features one of the Olsen family (I don't really care about this one, just being silly)

People give the DC Comics movies shit but at least when they fail its because they've tried something interesting. Marvel movies I struggle to remember the details a day later, so damned forgettable.

Anyways my GF is a huge Marvel fan (but of course never read the comics lol) so I'm stuck with these as her consistent movie picks when they come out. That's fine though because it means I get to subject her to Mad Max and horror movies

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 14, 2015, 13:31 Verno

Sounds like a win for the public to me and that voters are finally reaching Washington about privacy issues.  

News Comments > Overwatch Video
17. Re: Overwatch Video May 14, 2015, 12:46 Verno

NKD wrote on May 14, 2015, 12:21:
I don't know. They don't feel that fast, certainly not compared to the shooters I used to play, but I seem to do progressively worse every year. So I can only assume I'm slowing down. Maybe it's like you say though and I just don't put enough consecutive time in.

Fair enough, I was just curious. Always worth getting the eyes checked too, a buddy of mine was all sorts of problems in games and it turned out he just needed glasses, he hadn't been to the optometrist in like 10 years hahah.

I've definitely found that I need a good 30+ mins to really get into them now before I start doing alright though, its almost like a mental adjustment from work/home crap.

News Comments > Overwatch Video
13. Re: Overwatch Video May 14, 2015, 12:19 Verno

NKD wrote on May 14, 2015, 12:13:
Cool looking game. My days of playing online FPS are over though, getting too slow to keep up, and getting wrecked repeatedly is never fun.

What makes them too fast? I've found the learning curve for the pace is more severe now but once I'm in the zone that I do just as well as when I was younger. Getting into that zone usually requires a solid hour of play to almost warm up for lack of a better term though and I don't always have that time.

News Comments > Diablo III Perma-CC Nerf Plans
7. Re: Diablo III Perma-CC Nerf Plans May 14, 2015, 11:57 Verno

I see what you guys are talking about as the hack-n-slash loot-whoring genre's dirty little secret... that there is little point to playing them beyond the story mode/level cap unless you really, really love treadmills and slot machines and ePissing contests.

Some PvP could bring a little direction and purpose to the end game... but other than that I feel that there is an inherent flaw in the entire genre.

D3/PoE/TQ/etc. are all trying to replicate the longevity and success of D2 without really considering why it was played for so long by so many. It was really a lack of options at the time, and the first of it's kind... the gameplay itself simply lacks the depth to explain the longevity it experienced. These games are simply not "fun" anymore once you reach the end-game content.. and the fact that people purposely and willfully re-hash the same content over and over trying to "optimize" a build to then be able to accomplish... exactly nothing with it... really blows my mind.

Put the game down :p

To some people there's some value in perfecting something and thats where they derive their enjoyment. For other people they just like to frag monsters with their buds and not really worry about how deep the experience is or not. It's like that with many genres when you break them down, ARPGs aren't unique in that regard. With ARPGs I find for some people they enjoy the journey more than the destination and for others its the opposite, the game only truly begins once they're grinding. It's just a matter of taste and there's no accounting for that.

I feel like I've kinda outgrown the genre but that sounds patronizing so I hesitate to use that word. All I know is that I enjoy them a lot less than I use to. Maybe its because I have more options now or just that my tastes have changed as I age but I don't begrudge anyone else for running Greater Rifts until carpal tunnel takes them

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup May 14, 2015, 11:54 Verno

The Godus example is especially disconcerting with the leaked internal emails showing Peter really didn't care about the PC version and diverted all of their resources into the mobile stuff. I wonder if they ever did get multiplayer working or if that whole project will just fizzle out entirely.  

17510 Comments. 876 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo