Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 14971 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Free Weekend
20. Re: Torchlight 2 Free Weekend Jan 10, 2014, 13:51 Verno

Dungeon Siege 3 was really consolized and forgettable IMO. I loved the first game, we used to have big lan parties for it on Arsclan.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 10, 2014, 13:07 Verno

That's true in some respects, The Lightbulb Conspiracy (unfortunate name, good film) is a documentary about planned obsolescence that will probably resonate with some people here. To be fair though, many design concessions responsible for product lifespan impairment are made for lower power use, less noise and general efficiency which are all consumer demands.

There are certainly products deliberately engineered to fail before their maximum lifespan peak. In some markets the companies couldn't survive without the repeat business even. It's sort of a fucked up situation.

News Comments > 2K Czech Restructures
3. Re: 2K Czech Restructures Jan 10, 2014, 11:47 Verno

Hidden & Dangerous was one of the buggiest yet most enjoyable games I've played. Mafia never really clicked for me unfortunately.  

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Free Weekend
17. Re: Torchlight 2 Free Weekend Jan 10, 2014, 09:21 Verno

TL2 was great for what it was, I never expected 300 hours of longevity out of it but I enjoyed the whole experience.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 9, 2014, 13:28 Verno

I wanted to leave an instructional message on a Youtube tech video last night but I can't comment without a Google+ account. Fucking ridiculous.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2014, 13:25 Verno

I'd like to see a modern mobile version of the site for Android/iOS, doesn't need to include comments either.

Image tags would be swell too.

Have other metropolitan areas started going to this slurry/liquid based stuff to put on the road like they have here?

Still salt and dirt here. I would be shocked if the city wasn't sued for that mess though, that's hilarious.

News Comments > Full Steam Machines Ahead at CES
57. Re: Full Steam Machines Ahead at CES Jan 9, 2014, 10:17 Verno

Krovven wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 17:20:
My understanding of those face buttons is they are not intended to be the A/B/X/Y or O/X/^/[]/ buttons on the 360/PS controllers. Those buttons are for the lesser used functions. The buttons on the top, back and buttons functions of the pads themselves provide those functions, allowing you to keep your thumbs on the pads moreso than the current analog sticks of gamepads.

Interesting. I really need to get my hands on one and play with it. I have an open mind though and I'll definitely be checking it out, I just think they have an uphill battle with others preference for the traditional controller setups.

54. Re: Full Steam Machines Ahead at CES Jan 8, 2014, 13:56 Verno

They break records everywhere (including the contested markets you keep going on about) and you see nothing but problems. I give up on the sales stuff dude, you're off your rocker there

In terms of the Steam pad, I think you're assuming too much in terms of the market and users shifting to suit it but I guess time will tell. I haven't used one personally so I don't feel like arguing for pages about it, I do however see it easily being a sticking point for many users.

Reguarding exclusivity I think you miss my point, no one goes to the store and says "Man i really want to buy a gaming system that only runs 1/3 of the software in this store". Going there to buy halo or other exclusive software is a problem they created in the first place, if it goes away you don't think consumers would be happier?

Of course people would be happy being able to run everything but no platform does so people instead choose based on the games that appeal to them.

52. Re: Full Steam Machines Ahead at CES Jan 8, 2014, 13:08 Verno

descender wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 12:57:
Point was they only outsold MS in the US by 200k units with an entire extra week of sales, WHILE dealing with low supply issues.
They should be vastly outselling MS at this point, but their wider launch has not actually allowed that to happen. They had a chance to stand on MS's head and bury them and they didn't capitalize on that. Outselling MS in uncontested markets is not impressive to me.

Uh yes it has, they outsold them widely by 1.1 million consoles. No one delivers a knock out punch at launch but it's still the fastest selling console in the history of gaming right now. They haven't even launched in Japan yet. The US is a Microsoft stronghold so the fact that they outsold them at all is pretty remarkable. The majority of console sales don't happen at launch anyway. Whether any of this impresses you or not, your initial comment said Sony was "losing" and I was just pointing out that is totally incorrect.

I don't really think software exclusivity is a reason that people buy consoles, but a result of the lack of choice they are given.

Of course it is, buying exclusive software is one of the primary purchase motivators. People have a ton of choice, there are several different gaming platforms now and thats without going into mobiles and other stuff.

I am still on the fence about the controller reception, every review I've read so far about someone holding or using the thing was written by some mope that obviously doesn't spend much time gaming in a serious fashion.

You don't take one look at that thing and recognize the problem with the face buttons? You need to take your hands off not just one side like with a traditional analog setup but both sides to potentially hit multiple face buttons. There is no resistance for movement like a traditional analog input on the left, that is going to be something many people hate. I think a smarter approach here would have been an analog stick on the left for movement and a pad on the right for aiming. The face button placement really needs to move somewhere else too.

I do a lot of gaming and I will definitely try it before passing judgment but I can see problem areas already.

50. Re: Full Steam Machines Ahead at CES Jan 8, 2014, 12:25 Verno

descender wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 15:26:

Edit: Verno, those are global sales numbers where PS4 is available in something like 2 or 3 times the number of countries The gap is considerably closer in the US and I believe they only passed MS in the last week of the year (while also having an extra week on the market). At the least they could be selling many more, and more likely they should probably be crushing MS right now.

Errr of course they're global sales, why would I post US only sales? It is a total sales comparison. Microsoft cherry picked the markets it thought it would do the best in and so did Sony. Sony is available in more markets and yet still sold out so I don't think Microsoft being in the same number of countries matters or not when they aren't sold out in the 8 or so major markets they chose to launch in.

If Valve accomplishes nothing here but forcing MS and Sony to open their systems up and get rid of software exclusivity... then we are all winners.

That is never, ever going to happen. It erodes too many of the reasons that people buy consoles for in the first place.

Personally I would love to see Valve succeed here and create a niche but I think this approach is too messy and I don't think their controller will win anyone over.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 8, 2014, 12:05 Verno

Yeah the new DMC was criminally underrated.  

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Jan 8, 2014, 09:31 Verno

You can do it right now (they released it a few weeks ago) but it's pretty rough around the edges and requires modification to dualboot/etc. They strongly cautioned people to wait until a more stable release, this is mainly for crazy tinkerers like me.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2014, 08:57 Verno

Happy birthday and best of luck Frans.  

News Comments > Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum
1. Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 8, 2014, 08:56 Verno

I'm not sure I care for the AI being integrated with the players, bad AI can really annoy in multiplayer.  

News Comments > More Elder Scrolls Online Beta Invites
7. Re: More Elder Scrolls Online Beta Invites Jan 7, 2014, 20:50 Verno

Gout sucks Batman, you can have my invite. I PM'd you the info via the board mailer thingie. Enjoy!  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 7, 2014, 20:30 Verno

OH NO YOU DIDNT GIRL! Speechless

It's a 2010, it actually doesn't put out much heat surprisingly. Thing sure is bloody heavy though. If the PQ wasn't so beautiful I'd get something else but I've never found anything comparable for under 3k.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 7, 2014, 15:01 Verno

They can pry my Panasonic Plasma from my cold, dead hands.  

48. Re: Full Steam Machines Ahead at CES Jan 7, 2014, 14:55 Verno

descender wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 14:11:
Sony's PS4 is currently losing to the XBOne not because of an inferior product, but because of supply problems. Stores are filled to the brim with XBOne's and get new shipments every day (I wonder if they learned that from the Wii launch), while stores are barely sent enough PS4's to actually put one on a shelf.

This is a digression from the main discussion but Sony isn't losing anything, they've sold 4.1 million PS4s to the Xbox Ones 3 million. Judging by those numbers their supply chain is fine, the problem is that demand was so insanely high that they couldn't realistically hope to meet it. That's a good problem to have

How did Sony get access to utilize DirectX on a closed, directly competing platform? Valve will need to take a similar step to make their machines truly viable and reduce fragmentation among developers.

They licensed it from Microsoft. Valve won't do the same thing because they want to get away from Microsoft dependency, not increase it. The Windows 8 store really pissed Gabe off.

News Comments > SOE Going Forward With Unified Subscriptions
1. Re: SOE Going Forward With Unified Subscriptions Jan 7, 2014, 14:48 Verno

It's actually a pretty smart idea on their part and while I'm not that into SOE titles anymore the value proposition is fairly solid.  

News Comments > Fallout 3 Removes GFWL?
25. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 13:51 Verno

Creston wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 13:44:
So that part of it is easily fixed. Now they just need to focus on actually making that blow seem as if it actually hurt, rather than the toon you hit just go "ah" and not even move when you just hit him in the head with a daedric warhammer.

Yeah but I think they could do more. The mods are a bandaid on a bigger problem. The combat is pretty clunky in general and could really do with a feedback redesign especially. It's hard to do FPS/RPG stuff but I think they're still pretty far off the mark. I'd love to have first melee combat with the responsiveness and feedback of something like Dark Souls. Likewise the games animations are stiff and unnatural, I always feel major uncanny valley when I'm playing an ES game.

14971 Comments. 749 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo