Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 15581 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Watch Dogs; First Reviews
24. Re: Ships Ahoy - Watch Dogs; First Reviews May 27, 2014, 13:07 Verno

You can turn it off but you really shouldn't, it is by far the most enjoyable part of the game and doesn't really feel like "PvP" in the traditional sense. Very well implemented.  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2014, 12:59 Verno

Screw all that worrying about this, that, and the other thing when it comes to what I eat or drink. It's just so pointless. We all gotta die of something, healthy people too. You may outlive me by 10, maybe even 20 years, but does it really matter in the big scheme of things? I'm going to be happy while I'm here, regardless of how long or short of a time that may be.

If you never worry about the future then you might not have much of one Balance is everything. I try not to deny myself anything I truly want but I also make sure there are limits. I don't personally drink soda anymore as I find the taste is too much but its fine to have it once in awhile. People who drink it consistently are just setting themselves up for diabetes though.

This comment was edited on May 27, 2014, 13:06.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Watch Dogs; First Reviews
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Watch Dogs; First Reviews May 27, 2014, 10:01 Verno

The story is indeed terrible which is frustrating but at least the diversions make for interesting gameplay. I don't know if Ezio was just a lucky thing or whatever but they need to clean house with their writing staff because everything has just been convoluted with poor characterization.

Game itself is fun, the PC port is really haphazard though. Graphically it looks good on ultra but the controls are a shitshow unless you use a gamepad. The invasions are very fun and I love the way they're integrated. Just a sidenote that committing suicide will not stop another players trace. The stealth options are pretty nice here, I've done several CTOS things in game without even leaving the street in front of it through camera jumps and etc. Causing a blackout never gets old either.

News Comments > Memorial Legal Briefs
19. Re: Memorial Legal Briefs May 27, 2014, 09:30 Verno

Osc8r wrote on May 27, 2014, 07:18:
Fion wrote on May 26, 2014, 12:09:
If we can't beat them in sales or marketing or technological innovation we'll try (and fail) to beat them in the courts.

Exactly.

Apple don't innovate these days, they just sue, market, then sue some more.

Oh, but wait, the new iphone comes with a larger screen. I wonder if android copyrighted larger screens - like apple did with their rectangle with rounded edges?

This ignores all of the things Samsung did rip off is the problem.

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2014, 09:26 Verno

Sepharo wrote on May 26, 2014, 23:30:
Blue might as well wait it out at this point. Phones with bigger screens and better resolution don't really need specially formatted mobile sites anymore. I find myself more often than not searching for the Desktop link because I find mobile versions of sites to usually be very lacking or non-intuitive.

Eh I don't know, This site looks pretty awful on my phone which has a huge screen and a decent resolution. All of the zooming and etc required is almost comical, I basically just give up and look at other places. It's fine on a tablet but that's a whole different ballpark. I don't see phones getting 10" screens any time soon so I think its a worthwhile investment. As JD pointed out, its probably a better idea to update the site in general for readability on more devices. This sort of thing will start to affect page rank and ad revenue eventually. Blue has been updating the site by hand using Frontpage 2000 and the base its built on is like 20 years old. It's easier said than done but the site really needs an update in general, the actual layout can be preserved anyway.

thats like a speck of dust on the tip of the iceberg

Hmm?

News Comments > Watch Dogs NVIDIA Drivers & Tweak Guide
63. Re: Watch Dogs NVIDIA Drivers & Tweak Guide May 27, 2014, 09:11 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 27, 2014, 08:56:
And this is awesome, the Nvidia site quit responding to requests trying to get to the driver....

If you're using GeForce experience and getting the "Unable to connect" message, this is a bug with it that you have to resolve by hand. The irony of an updater being unable to update is amusing.

News Comments > Memorial Metaverse
6. Re: Memorial Metaverse May 27, 2014, 08:42 Verno

Cutter wrote on May 26, 2014, 17:50:
I disagree. I think their policing and censoring in the forums are very heavy handed when it applies to anything that is with the "in" crowd there. I see their regulars taking shots at those with dissenting opinions all the time and not get called on it. It's very much a hipster leftist club.

Nah, Blue just lets you get away with a lot here. Ars also has a low tolerance for ad homs. As long as you stay away from that and trolling in general Ars is a great site. If anything I think they're a bit lenient compared to sites like SA and PA.

57. Re: Watch Dogs NVIDIA Drivers & Tweak Guide May 27, 2014, 08:40 Verno

Most people have a videocard with 2GB framebuffer and this isn't a problem in many, if not most other games on the market. I have a 780 and the game is still a dog at times BTW, very much in need of optimization.  

22. Re: Watch Dogs NVIDIA Drivers & Tweak Guide May 26, 2014, 15:35 Verno

NKD wrote on May 26, 2014, 15:26:
Like what specifically?

I'm going to do up a proper list when I get home from work but its everything from small missing gameplay touches to major changes in the physics system. Stuff changes during development but when you put your best foot forward that's what people will base expectations on.

I still had fun with it on the weekend but it was noticeably different than what I had imagined based on the preview materials. The PC comes close to being as true to that vision though, the console versions had all sorts of issues despite lesser visuals. I can't wait to get into the multiplayer, the invasion system looks great.

19. Re: Watch Dogs NVIDIA Drivers & Tweak Guide May 26, 2014, 15:11 Verno

Well I mean to be fair Ubisoft's E3 conference and previews had a lot of shit that was crafted for that purpose alone and doesn't even exist in-game. The companies do themselves in with hype as much as fans get worked up.  

7. Re: Memorial Legal Briefs May 26, 2014, 14:36 Verno

HorrorScope wrote on May 26, 2014, 14:02:
Tons of things copy from another, so Apple should be the only one allowed to have logical smart phones? Apple has always been like this, somehow they want to corner a market instead of just letting the market be what it is and compete within that. IMO they all take ideas from one another, I call it product improvement. And how many billions in the bank do they need to feel secure?

It's one thing to have another mobile operating system for handheld devices like a competitor but when you're just literally copying features wholesale and admitting it in email then yeah I would be forced to side with Apple on that. The patent battle is in many ways as much Samsungs fault as anyone else. Apple built a great base and other companies have been building on that base in their own unique ways instead of just "we need parity, take <X> and replicate". Hell I don't particularly care for Windows Phone but at least Microsoft put a unique spin on a mobile OS.

16. Re: Watch Dogs NVIDIA Drivers & Tweak Guide May 26, 2014, 14:24 Verno

The first AC game had some problems too so I wouldn't write this off. It's a pretty competent GTA type game with some rudimentary stealth and hacking mechanics. They fostered some insane hype which is working against them unfortunately.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2014, 13:40 Verno

Another user here opened my eyes to corn subsidies, the willful ignorance towards HFCS isn't surprising considering how much money is involved.  

4. Re: Memorial Legal Briefs May 26, 2014, 13:37 Verno

Fion wrote on May 26, 2014, 12:09:
If we can't beat them in sales or marketing or technological innovation we'll try (and fail) to beat them in the courts.

Err what? I mean Apple has some shitty practices I'm not happy about but Samsung and Google have wholesale copied massive portions of their mobile hardware and software.

News Comments > Memorial Metaverse
2. Re: Memorial Metaverse May 26, 2014, 13:23 Verno

Ars enforces quality standards more than they "censor" anything which frankly makes it a lot more pleasant to read. Not exactly uncommon either, most websites do it including this one to some extent. I hold a number of conservative views and have never found myself censored on Ars which is mostly liberal.  

13. Re: Watch Dogs NVIDIA Drivers & Tweak Guide May 26, 2014, 13:21 Verno

This game is really poorly optimized, expect a sizable day one patch.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2014, 10:21 Verno

Oh it's royalty through advertising all right, its just not paid to the copyright owners There are many similar plugins/apps for various media centers like it, they throw them up onto the stores to make money for awhile then rename and upload under a different developer account after they get nuked.

Personally I just use Plex (a legal/approved app) to stream my own content from home to wherever I am. My girlfriend loves it too, she can watch her crappy Greys Anatomy while waiting at the doctors office.

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2014, 09:31 Verno

Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 26, 2014, 02:32:
Speaking of TV, I just started using an app for android and plugin for XBMC called "Cartoon HD", which sounds like a cartoon channel, but contains everything from the top 250 imdb films, to game of thrones, tons of anime and cartoon series.. all in HD.

I couldnt believe how well it worked when I first tried on my HTC One, video loaded/buffered almost instantly and playback was in full HD. Quite a gem of a free app, thats for sure. You have the option to either stream or download when you start also, so if youre going to be in a low reception area or have low data caps and want to download on wifi before watching later, it just works.

Most of that is copyrighted shit though and that app will be nuked from both stores. I'm no saint with my entertainment setup but Blue has told people before not to post stuff like this, just a heads up.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 May 26, 2014, 09:29 Verno

I played the PS4 version of Watch Dogs at a buddys place on the weekend and it ran like absolute dogshit compared to the PC version.

Game itself seemed fun but not at all like what they had demo'd in the past.

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2014, 14:56 Verno

Cutter wrote on May 23, 2014, 14:39:
Could you link something about that, Vern. I'm not certain I know what you mean. I wouldn't be surprised however. We get screwed on everything up anyway. Cars, food, booze, we always pay way more. In many ways this country is stuck in the 19th century. I love it, but infuriates the shit of me in so many way. I'm going to have to leave it eventually.

Sure, this article dives into what I was referring to which is apparently becoming very common place up there. Basically suppliers holding retailers hostage through threats of holding back product, giving competitors better pricing and legal intimidation.

I'm in Canada on business a good chunk of the year so I'm always shocked at the difference in prices of various goods. I keep a close eye on my grocery budget especially since my living compensation from work only goes so far, I usually spend almost double up there compared to stocking up in New York, especially if I want fresh produce and decent meat.

15581 Comments. 780 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo