Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 16297 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 6, 2014, 09:05 Verno

Not having matchmaking for that sort of thing is unacceptable these days.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
17. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 6, 2014, 08:52 Verno

Denial is a helluva drug.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 6, 2014, 08:49 Verno

Aero wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 19:31:
On the other hand as a result of coin miners, the price of the 780 Ti cards might plummet. If it's miners driving the prices up, the 780 Ti could end up cheaper than the 970. Given how much more power efficient the 900 series is than the 700 series, any miners using GPUs will need one, but power is not much of a concern to gamers.

I doubt it, retailers don't tend to keep a lot of videocard inventory on hand because of how volatile the market is. There will be some discounts to get rid of stock but don't expect deep discounts on older cards.

News Comments > Game Reviews
16. Re: Game Reviews Oct 3, 2014, 15:29 Verno

So, broken AI on the one hand, great dynamic AI on the other? One of these two is lying.

Or the AI is very dynamic and people are having varying experiences with it. I find some of the Ars writers to be pretty poor "gamers" and often their complaints seem like scapegoating bad player habits. It's quite possible Sam at Ars was making mistakes he didn't realize or to be fair, perhaps the guy at PC Gamer is fluffing it up because he didn't understand the interactions that well.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
2. Re: Hardware Reviews Oct 3, 2014, 14:39 Verno

I think it took a month for the 760 to appear last time so I am holding off to see what the performance is like with the 960 variant.

The 980 Ti variant is probably way more than I want to spend. 4k gaming eludes me for another year

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 3, 2014, 14:36 Verno

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 13:46:
Because that UI is ancient, being very close to 19 years old now, and it is no longer suited to the way modern computing works. Yet there are people who still insist that a UI that was designed for a single screen running at 800x600 is still the greatest thing ever. To me, it's funny in the same way that old guys bitch and carp about how much "better" it was when engines still had carburetors and how "easier" they were to work on.

It costs a lot of money to retrain employees on new user interfaces and many people don't seek this stuff out as a hobby in their spare time. A user interface can be very efficient regardless of age.

People knock on the Windows Start Menu but it works for many users because they don't always know what they're looking for and that's key. That's why the Windows 8 Start Menu approach with the "just type and find what you want" failed. Sometimes people need a visual representation of what they're looking for.

I do most of my interaction through the CLI and taskbar pins but I can recognize the value in other UI aspects.

News Comments > ArcheAge Hits 2M Players
20. Re: ArcheAge Hits 2M Players Oct 3, 2014, 13:34 Verno

This sounds right up my alley, I live for the PvP shit. Thanks for the info guys, definitely going to pick it up. Is it ever coming to Steam again?  

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Oct 3, 2014, 10:06 Verno

The reviews for the most part seem pretty positive and several of the negatives I've seen are from authors that seem to dislike survival horror so I'm pretty stoked to play it.  

6. Re: ArcheAge Hits 2M Players Oct 3, 2014, 10:02 Verno

InBlack wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 09:59:

Man thats such a cool story. UO was the shit! Why cant they make games like that anymore? Heaven forbid that people actually discover emergent gameplay outside the box, or use the game to earn some hard cash.

Err well technically I was breaking the EULA I guess but the landscape was different back then for selling things out of the game. eBay didn't police anything and people were paying hundreds for a tower plot outside of a main town. It was kinda nuts.

Anyways back to ArcheAge, hows the PvP? PvE stuff bores the crap out of me in MMOs. What's the model here, is it freeform or designated zones, arenas, etc?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2014, 09:58 Verno

I would happily pay a sub fee for the site FWIW but the whole backend would probably need an overhaul to accommodate it.

I hope if you ever reach the point where things become dicey that you would let people donate to help out, I would hate to see the site go down like many others have over the years.

3. Re: ArcheAge Hits 2M Players Oct 3, 2014, 09:55 Verno

Gonna be hard to combat the guys going after real estate, people pay a ton of RL money for it. A long time ago UO paid a good chunk of my tuition fees, selling decayed real estate to lazy people on eBay. Just had to keep an excel list of places to jump around and check, log in a few times a day. These days I would imagine they have it all automated with scripts and bots.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Delayed
18. Re: Pillars of Eternity Delayed Oct 3, 2014, 09:13 Verno

Cutter wrote on Oct 2, 2014, 19:13:
Obsidian is behind schedule. Gee...what a surprise.

We've seen what happens when Obsidian rushes so your cynicism is a bit silly.

News Comments > Star Citizen's $55M Sets Crowdfunding Record
31. Re: Star Citizen's $55M Sets Crowdfunding Record Oct 1, 2014, 15:03 Verno

I didn't put any money into this so I just sort of read these threads with amusement at the back and forth. They seem to be pretty far behind their proposed schedule which by itself isn't a big deal, that happens in gaming all the time. I understand wanting your MP stuff tested and released for feedback early but have they mentioned at all what is going on with the SP campaign?  

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth Trailer
8. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth Trailer Oct 1, 2014, 12:06 Verno

Sho wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 11:27:
I also kind of agree with the guys' opinion on the graphics, BTW ... it's not a deal-breaker for me with these kinds of games, but I do wonder why Firaxis just can't seem to figure out how to render things crisp and not washed out. I'm not expecting bling, but in a highly abstract, systems-driven game like that easy-to-read and punchy visualization is directly relevant to gameplay IMHO.

Yeah that's a fair point, I enjoyed Civ 5 but found it is the only game I've owned that gives me headaches after an hour or so of playing. Maybe I just need glasses though, haha. I would definitely prefer the style of graphics you mention, sometimes the game seems to almost have a washed out, pastel look.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 1, 2014, 11:12 Verno

Nintendo is the only reason Bayonetta 2 even exists, no one else wanted to fund it. Exclusives sell consoles and its one of the reasons I will pick up a Wii U when they're a bit cheaper.

Regarding the Destiny cut story line thing, my disappointment with that game goes further than that. They painted a picture of an almost Mass Effect style universe with interesting lore, more activities and whatnot. Instead we got a surprisingly short game thats heavy on repetition/grind. I've just been playing a buddies copy so I don't care that much but if it wasn't for the PvP we wouldn't even bothered playing after launch week. It's a good game but there just needs to be more of everything.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Oct 1, 2014, 11:08 Verno

I think like most tech someone just needs to make the case for it, show me some products that make it worthwhile. I need a bunch of games with the kind of experience I can't get anywhere else, not just stuff ported to OR. If they do that they'll get me, I can't speak to the larger market.  

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Oct 1, 2014, 11:05 Verno

It's a good article, I remember the Watch Dogs hype and seeing the final product is immensely disappointing by comparison. It's not a bad game but the marketing is totally disconnected from how it plays out and those sorts of expectations need to be carefully managed.  

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth Trailer
3. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth Trailer Oct 1, 2014, 10:50 Verno

Sho wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 10:44:
Task wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 10:31:
This is one game I feel like pre-ordering. In any case first day buy for me. Harmony all the way, humanity will not repeat its previous mistakes!

I pre-ordered it a while ago, but I thought this surprisingly negative preview was interesting: Click me

Its an interesting write up (thanks for the link) but it didn't seem that negative to me. He just seemed to be conveying that its surprisingly complex since it doesn't relate back to historical elements easily like previous Civ games did. He ends it saying hes eager to see more. I'm totally okay with some complexity and depth, higher learning curve but you tend to get more out of them. Alpha Centauri wasn't exactly simplistic either.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Oct 1, 2014, 09:26 Verno

Cutter wrote on Sep 30, 2014, 21:28:
I don't see where he broke the law from the example they gave. A threat is personal. 'You better watch it or I'm going to kill you' vs. 'You better watch it or someone will kill you' is different in the eyes of the law - the first being illegal and the second being legal because it's indirect.

These little scenarios you play out in your head are not reality. Try saying that to someone in real life and let me know how the police deal with it. Here's a hint, you will be arrested and potentially charged.

An indirect threat is still a threat, especially if you voice it to an individual in that context.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
32. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 1, 2014, 09:17 Verno

nutshell42 wrote on Sep 30, 2014, 16:01:
From the part where he mindlessly cheers a "free" upgrade. The same way that Americans cheer their "free" smartphones. It's not free. MS will make you pay and it will be a lot worse than a upfront charge that amounts to less than 10 cents for every day of use.

Just because you said so? You realize that no one forces you to use the MS store. You can disable pretty much every user metric and the bing search crap in 2 seconds. Where is Microsoft going to magically gouge the value out of you? Your complaint seems more like a general rant aimed at something else entirely.

And I really don't understand your (and the other repliers) non sequitur about the utility of the update. If you don't think it does all that much and don't need it then just don't buy it. If you don't mind Windows 7 or 8 then just keep using them until security patches run out in 20xx.

Don't buy what? This is potentially a free update. If it isn't free then I'll look at the features and decide then. It was just a general comment that even if it wasn't free, I don't mind paying so long as the features warrant it.

16297 Comments. 815 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo