Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 16815 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 21, 2015, 11:32 Verno

Cutter wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 11:24:
Wow, nice chair. I've always loved their stuff, but it's so expensive. Is it worth it?

If you asked me before I ever sat in one, I would've said "haha are you nuts? $1000 for a chair?!". After sitting in one, absolutely its worth every penny, especially if you spend 4-8 hours a day in it. It has a metal frame, no cheap plastic shit. The arm cushions are high quality leather and are still firm 7 years later. The mesh lets your body breath and is very comfortable. Mine came with a lumbar support thing too which is great. The arms are fully adjustable, they swivel/detach/etc. I wish I had just bought one of these long ago instead of spending $100-200 every 3 years on shitty Staples/Ikea chairs that look and feel like shit.

I got mine used at an office liquidator warehouse for like $400. I would check out the Herman Miller website and then look for retailers on there, best way to find guys selling used ones. Either that or look on kijiji/craigslist. I liked my Aeron so much I bought one for home too.

Other good chair companies are HumanScale and Steelcase.

Playing: Bloodborne, Pillars of Eternity, DOTA2
Watching: Vikings, Dig, The Jinx
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 21, 2015, 11:13 Verno

I use a convertible sitting/standing desk that I built and I wish I had done it years earlier. I usually sit for most of the morning then stand the rest of the day. There are some really nice pre-built ones with built in hooks for cables and whatnot but we had leftover oak from an old table so I ended up making a project out of it.

Another thing would be a decent chair for your long term posture. I use a Herman Miller Aeron, I picked it up in an office liquidation like 7 years ago.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 21, 2015, 11:00 Verno

Backblaze testing is really flawed IMO, I remember for awhile they were ripping externals apart and then cramming those drives into torture test scenarios that weren't realistic for consumer conditions. The failure rates across manufacturers at work here is pretty standard across the board and we source from everyone.  

News Comments > Theme Hospital Free on Origin
11. Re: Theme Hospital Free on Origin Jan 21, 2015, 09:39 Verno

ItBurn wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 09:37:
I personally think that the deals are worse than they were a couple of years ago. I actually rarely buy games on Steam because the prices are too high. I get 90% of my games from Green Man Gaming. It's usually cheaper.

Ironically its publisher pricing is worse but that's mainly because publishers are trying to make their own services more attractive. Most other Steam pricing is the same or better IMO.

GMG is solid for new games because they sell very close to cost but their business model is different than Steam.

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Jan 21, 2015, 09:30 Verno

Creston wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 00:17:
Saw that on Jalopnik earlier.

"That part isn't supposed to come off, right?"

No, you dumb fuck. The metal braces aren't supposed to SHEAR OFF. You're also not supposed to "tow" at 25 mph going backwards. Idiot.

Hahaha yeah, I could not believe it when he floored it.

News Comments > Theme Hospital Free on Origin
9. Re: Theme Hospital Free on Origin Jan 21, 2015, 09:28 Verno

ItBurn wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 03:37:
Nothing. It's not as good as Steam, but who can be? Steam has had a lot more time to better itself. People need to realize that we need Steam competitors if we want to keep seeing good prices.

Hasn't really been an issue so far. I agree in principle though.

Steam is a bit of an outlier since its not beholden to public shareholders.

News Comments > Dark Souls Removes MP Region Lock
4. Re: Dark Souls Removes MP Region Lock Jan 21, 2015, 09:17 Verno

AdamK47 wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 20:01:
That Book of Guilty crash happened for me. I was curious to see what was in it and opened it for the first time. I had the book opened and was scrolling through it with my mouse wheel. It crashed to desktop and I was still sitting there scrolling on my mouse wheel. I stopped staring at the desktop, leaned back in my chair, and took a deep sigh. I then said to myself, "I guess I won't be doing that again".

That's my story.

My friend it sounds like you need a little Dark Souls themed relaxation. Enjoy

63. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2015, 15:51 Verno

If you got cancer, would you get treatment? Or would you rely on your immune system? Do you avoid engaging in activities which are linked to increased chances of cancer such as smoking?

That's it, I don't have a witty retort waiting for the answers, I'm just curious.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Postmortem
18. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Postmortem Jan 20, 2015, 14:26 Verno

Pigeon wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 13:41:
Yeah, it's weird, people almost seemed split 50/50 on it. Some folks said it was a breeze, and others had difficulty in parts (I did, but I'm not the most agile player, when it comes to button prompts).

It is odd that as a game mechanic, being good at the game makes the game easier. Early in the game before I had a good grasp on the combat mechanics the nemesis system worked perfectly. Not only did it encourage me to get revenge on the orc that killed me, but it made it harder to do so, in a way forcing you to get better at the game. Then once you get better you have to purposely help the orc captains to level up so you can fight an opponent that that's challenging and gives a worthwhile reward.

I really enjoyed the concept of the nemesis system but I felt like the game itself was way too easy so I never got to see it the way they intended. Mordor was a game that really needed difficulty settings, they overdo it with combat tools. The only hard time I had were the stacking immunities but that was more exasperating than anything else. I guess maybe its because I played a lot of the Arkham games that I'm fairly used to it? Who knows.

The games story was disjointed rubbish that barely made sense. It was a good but overrated experience overall for me. Graphically the game was very impressive though and the sound design was competent.

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2015, 14:32.

News Comments > Into the Black
26. Re: Into the Black Jan 20, 2015, 13:38 Verno

Creston wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 00:58:
fiftykyu wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 20:33:
It would take you...
21524 continuous hours
2 years,166 days,20 hours,34 minutes
of gameplay to complete your Steam library

Dude...

For some reason this website never works when I enter my profile name, keeps saying it can't find a user with that name even when I make my profile public. And obviously I refuse to log my Steam credentials into some unknown website (And I pity the poor suckers who do.)

Err, its a direct connection to the Steam API servers. You can check the link source on the page yourself. You're safe

Stealing a Steam account is actually fairly difficult thanks to SteamGuard.

News Comments > etc., etc.
36. Re: etc., etc. Jan 20, 2015, 13:33 Verno

yuastnav wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 13:01:
You do realise that "white hat" is actually a real thing, right?

linky

Sigh I know what it is, I just don't think this group will engage in it based on past performances from the SJW crews with their rampant abuse of social media tools meant for actual harassment and their doxxing efforts.

Yeahyeah, its also yet another way for her to collect money for "funding".

61. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2015, 13:07 Verno

DukeFNukem wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 05:39:
I am no microbiologist, I have no degrees in medicine. My major is in Computer Science. I guarantee there are as many people against vaccinations as there are for vaccinations.

Well now that you've guaranteed it, please provide evidence to support that assertion. We're waiting

Again, when I wake up in the morning and read the news that people are dying left and right from measles(or any other virus for that matter) who have NOT been vaccinated I will pay more attention. Theoretical pandemic's do not interest me at all. Already seen that movie back in 2009. "DOOMSDAY: The Swine Flue Virus - The End of Life on Planet Earth as we Know it - AAAAAAHHHHHH!AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!". While you were running scared to get your H1N1 shot I was probably at home chilling on my computer playing a video game. LOL.

You keep referring to the swine flu as it was proof of something but that had a lot more to do with overblown media than anything else. But since you keep bringing it up, you realize that it resulted in 17000 deaths and that many more were prevented by a global response, right? Something tells me that if smallpox had a resurgence that you would be in line to get your shot along with everyone else.

God help your crusade, if I wake up in the morning and read in the news that people who HAVE been vaccinated are dying of the virus they were vaccinated for.

Uh, sorta like the rhinovirus and many other viruses that mutate constantly? Viruses aren't static, they often mutate and vaccinations need adjustment like anything else. You can absolutely still die from a virus you've been vaccinated against but that's not something that supports an anti-vaccination argument.

You're right, your not going to change my mind with words. Your making all your decisions in a theoretical universe out of fear. I am making mine from a practical perspective out of faith.

Not going to change your mind with words, ok. He provided plenty of statistics and citations then which you read of course, right? Whenever someone starts a sentence with "youre not going to change my mind" I feel like the basic discussion hasn't been entered into in good faith. Speaking of faith, in what exactly? It seems to me you're the one living in fear of theoreticals. Do you demand this level of proof from everything else in your life? Do you refuse to use popular technology and scientific inventions unless every bit of it is personally assured to you?

News Comments > etc., etc.
33. Re: etc., etc. Jan 20, 2015, 12:54 Verno

Another Zoe Quinn venture that will somehow involve taking money behind the scenes I'm sure. "white hat hacking" yeah sounds real legit.

But please white knights, go rescue your damsel in distress. I'm sure she appreciates it...all the way to bank.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisitions Patch to Fix Awkward Silences
12. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisitions Patch to Fix Awkward Silences Jan 20, 2015, 12:50 Verno

InBlack wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 09:26:
Heh still no relevant GUI fixes. Oh apart from being able to apparently walk now. Heh.

Yeah really disappointing, I wonder if they're even going to bother with the supposed PC fixes that were coming or if it was just "throw em a bone to shut them up until 30 day sales period is through".

* Fixed multiplayer to not be a crashy piece of shit is hopefully lumped in there somewhere

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 19, 2015, 14:45 Verno

Fantaz wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 13:49:
Amazon Game Studios is making terrible games, I don't know why they would think it's a good idea to do movies now also...

Due to studios being retarded about licensing rights, sometimes it makes more sense to actually create the content and then sell it yourself or keep it exclusive. That's why Netflix and Amazon are making TV shows and movies now.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2015, 13:11 Verno

The Colts were pretty lackluster for sure and point well taken on the Belichick stuff. I was just surprised he'd even risk Brady getting hurt towards the end there.  

News Comments > Sid Meier's Starships Announced
1. Re: Sid Meier's Starships Announced Jan 19, 2015, 10:07 Verno

Interesting, sounds almost a bit like a turn based Homeworld.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2015, 10:05 Verno

Green Bay falling apart in the 4th quarter was heart breaking, I don't care for the Seahawks. Be interested to see how they do with 2 of their biggest defensive performers potentially out with injuries. New England was ruthless, they were still playing Brady long past it being necessary. Belichick is a dick haha.  

53. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2015, 09:06 Verno

Prez wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 04:59:
I generally avoid the flu shot, though I actually intended to get it this year but haven't yet. All other vaccines I am up to date as are my kids. I was in the military for 9 years and we were mandatory vacc'd every 6 months. I have never been sicker than I inevitably would be after I would get one. I obviously wasn't getting the flu, but I was still getting very sick. Others in my command would as well, so it wasn't just me. I want to get one to see if I am over that but I need to wait until I have some free time to recover if I am not.

I think its just a correlation doesn't imply causation thing. I used to think the same thing but most of the time I get my shots right when stuff is already flying around so it makes sense. It's a very human trait, we try to find the linkage between things even when there isn't really any.

To the broader topic, there are almost no sound reasons to avoid vaccination and a mountain of evidence in favor of it.

So why are you all pissed that I don't want to play russian roulette with my bloodstream?

That's actually what you're doing by avoiding them. One of your earlier comments was a bit weird, it almost felt like a bootstraps kind of argument which is not how your immune system functions. I'm a pretty ripped and healthy person but I'm just as susceptible to a virus as anyone else.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders
97. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 18, 2015, 16:10 Verno

Quboid wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 10:46:

My mild disapproval of Rockstar's handling of this seems to be terribly upsetting to some people.

"I'm surprised Blue hasn't been deleting posts advocating piracy, as he used to."
Literally 5 minutes later:
"As I've already stated...download the song"

OK buddy...

I would just ignore them, in fact I'm forwarding the thread URL to Blue in hopes of him re-iterating the forum rules to some of our more rude members, especially with regards to personal insults. Things are starting to get kind of ridiculous again, we could use another spring cleaning and a clamp down on the BS.

If you don't want to get GTA because of the song thing, fair enough. I'm personally not affected by it but I do understand that line of reasoning. I think you're missing out on a great title but I respect someone standing behind what they think instead of the mindless crying/buying routine that many seem to do.

16815 Comments. 841 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo