Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 15987 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
33. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 17:38 Verno

Sepharo wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 16:32:
I have to disagree with your assessment of the ages of the CS community though. I would say the majority playing are still teens.

Neither here nor there, regardless the take away from my reply was this:

This isn't a problem with men so much as it is a problem with maturity. The vast majority of harassment I've had from Xbox Live has been from teenagers. No amount of blogs or education can replace life experience, those teens are not reading them in the first place. There are certainly outliers and men who are also immature but again, those people aren't really going to be reached by a Tumblr post saying men are pigs with a cherry picked list of tweets as examples.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 16:19 Verno

Sepharo wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 14:13:
Your anecdotal evidence is countered by others' anecdotal evidence. One of my female friends is really deep into the fighting game community. She has an album on facebook with hundreds of sexist abuse messages that she gets sent on xbox live. She doesn't even post the majority of them, just a couple of really vile ones once a week for years now.

I have a bit of a bone to pick with this example though, I've bolded it. I've endured a lot of abuse on Xbox Live and I would wager most other people have too. The CS community is pretty good these days since many of the players are now in their 30s. The Dota community is awful by comparison and male or female, you should expect some bullshit there. What you're playing, platform and audience all matter.

This isn't a problem with men so much as it is a problem with maturity. The vast majority of harassment I've had from Xbox Live has been from teenagers. No amount of blogs or education can replace life experience, those teens are not reading them in the first place. There are certainly outliers and men who are also immature but again, those people aren't really going to be reached by a Tumblr post saying men are pigs with a cherry picked list of tweets as examples.

Since we're relating anecdotes here, my girlfriend has been gaming for several years now and outside of a few clumsy pickup attempts and a higher number of friends list requests than the norm she rarely has negative experiences.

News Comments > Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming
86. Re: Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming Aug 23, 2014, 17:22 Verno

Redmask wrote on Aug 23, 2014, 16:53:
I could have dismissed it as pointless scandal with people I don't care about until all of the above started happening, no surprise the story has legs now and people aren't letting it go. Fucking your way to connections is one thing, using the bully tactics that you decry is another. It's how it was handled and the shocking amount of hypocrisy going on, especially from sites like Kotaku who have been lecturing people forever on many of these subjects.

That's really what interested me about this story. Who cares about a nerdy sex scandal? I don't care if she slept with 5 guys or 50. It's all of the bullshit surrounding the story that has shone a spotlight on how fucked up things are behind the scenes. I think I've read probably a dozen moralizing editorials on Polygon and Kotaku over the past year but magically they have nothing to say about this. Getting things removed from a top level Reddit is really hard yet this nonsense has that in spades.

They really should be throwing her to the wolves, she is setting back female oriented outreach in the gaming industry by years and not making the press look good either. Instead they've let personal relationships interfere and it makes all of their moralizing basically forfeit since they won't practice what they preach.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Phil Fish was involved in this either, albeit in a tangential way. In the past telling anyone criticizing Zoe that they were "essentially raping her" is classy stuff Phil.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2014, 17:28.

News Comments > MMOGs Under Attack
10. Re: MMOGs Under Attack Aug 22, 2014, 19:42 Verno

Tjold wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 17:20:
Who the fuck goes around packeting MMOs?
And, like, why?

It used to be script kids but these days anyone can just rent a botnet and do it so honestly, it could be fucking anyone.

News Comments > Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming
30. Re: Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming Aug 22, 2014, 19:41 Verno

I doubt Phil could actually make another game without his partner and that's probably what all of this foot stomping is all about.  

News Comments > etc.
43. Re: etc. Aug 22, 2014, 19:40 Verno

I've only briefly read about this but wow what a mess. Ignoring all of the sex tripe, I can't believe she issued a DMCA for a video that was critical of her and tried to use a single picture that she uses at several publicly available sources as the reason. She gets very vague about the rape and bodily harm threats which all came from anonymous sources conveniently. She also claims to have been mugged once and has essentially begged for money several times on twitter. This girl is a cretin and a perfect example of why people can't just blindly trust these things. Hopefully Kotaku will think about this before their next diatribe of how badly women have it in the industry.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 20, 2014, 11:38 Verno

Oh I read it, was just a joke

Pretty funny that they were handing out special exceptions that far in advance too.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 20, 2014, 10:13 Verno

Blizzard should have told Microsoft their hardware was unacceptable.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2014, 00:30 Verno

Fantaz wrote on Aug 16, 2014, 17:00:
What it's like to play online games as a grownup

sometimes i also feel like i'm getting too old for these multiplayer games... when i join a server it seems like they're getting younger and younger too. the worst are kids ages 4-9 with mic spam. how do they manage to get microphones and know how to use it?!

Yeah I hate the console guys who seem to just stream everything going on in the background. I really don't need to hear you argue with your parents, yell at the dog and whine about needing redbull or whatever. I can't stand voice chat in consoleland, its just 24/7 mics all the time. More games need to go explicitly push to talk but of course that's difficult with the already limited input options on consoles.

News Comments > AMD Catalyst Beta Drops Win 8.0 Support
13. Re: AMD Catalyst Beta Drops Win 8.0 Support Aug 17, 2014, 00:25 Verno

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with AMD drivers and who cares, Windows 9 is being fast tracked so everyone will be happy soon.

Getting back on track, what is the situation these days with AMD drivers? I'm looking at new GPUs soon and weighing options. Last time I owned one was in the 5850 days and the drivers were very iffy at times.

News Comments > Play Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare for Free
12. Re: Play Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare for Free Aug 15, 2014, 13:39 Verno

Topevoli wrote on Aug 15, 2014, 13:21:
Verno wrote on Aug 15, 2014, 11:16:
This is one thing Origin is doing better than Steam. Instead of a free weekend, the 72 hours are from the first time you launch it and they give you plenty of warning.

Except Steam Free Weekend Games always come at a ridiculous discount.

I wasn't comparing prices, just the functionality of the two. Origin actually does run pretty frequent sales now by the way, its more their baseline prices that suck (especially older games).

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Update 4 Next Month
24. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Update 4 Next Month Aug 15, 2014, 13:31 Verno

JohnBirshire wrote on Aug 14, 2014, 19:49:
It is so funny and ironic that every person in this thread defending the game admits to not playing it anymore. For an MMO that has only been out 3 months...that tells you everything you need to know.

I'm sure some are reasonable people who just moved onto other games. At the same time though I suspect a few of them just don't want to walk back their previous opinion because they spent months defending the game and attacking others who had very legitimate criticisms. Can't be wrong on the internet, no sir!

Oh well, the proof is in the pudding. We'll see where this is at in another 6 months.

This comment was edited on Aug 15, 2014, 13:37.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 15, 2014, 11:28 Verno

At work we have to lock everything down to the point of silliness thanks to bad user habits and IE being the largest malware vector. Power users can safely browse with IE but why would they bother? There are better alternatives with huge amounts of extensions and addons.  

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 15, 2014, 11:17 Verno

I'm glad they're getting beat because it encourages competition but I'm not sure Spencer gets it after all, his GamesCom messaging was terrible and featured yet another attempt to just dump some money into third party exclusives instead of investing that money into first party efforts.

Microsoft can't keep just tossing around money to buy exclusives, they need to start making real long term investments into first party studios and not abandoning them at the first signs of adversity like they did with Ensemble and countless others. Aside from some OS related improvements, the only two real things they've brought to gaming are Forza and Kinect. Even Halo and GoW were essentially just wallet tossing. That was fine back when they were breaking into the console industry but after 13 years they have so little to show for it, they seem to have no focus, direction or long term goals to accomplish. When I look at the future of the Bone all it seems like is countless Halo iterations and lesser versions of multiplatform games.

They blew something like $400mil on that NFL deal just to have an app, that could have funded some pretty extravagant first party games. The efforts into Kinect probably had a similar cost with even worse results. They're all over the map, probably because at their core they are just not a gaming company.

This comment was edited on Aug 15, 2014, 11:25.

News Comments > Play Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare for Free
4. Re: Play Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare for Free Aug 15, 2014, 11:16 Verno

This is one thing Origin is doing better than Steam. Instead of a free weekend, the 72 hours are from the first time you launch it and they give you plenty of warning.  

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2014, 15:04 Verno

Task wrote on Aug 14, 2014, 14:55:
Has anyone here played Ni No Kuni? The world is all open and what not, but the progression and 'extra stuff' are well placed/paced I think. Its a bit like a FF JRPG meets Zelda style progression.

Yeah I really enjoyed Ni No Kuni but man the party AI in that game is fucking awful and really drags down the experience considerably. It was great to play a JRPG that I could share with the daughter though.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2014, 14:49 Verno

PropheT wrote on Aug 14, 2014, 13:30:
I'm not really keen on the idea of having the old characters in the new films at all, but he definitely looks the part with the beard. He's the one I'm least worried about in the new movies, really, since he's never really NOT been Luke Skywalker and still looks like him.

Yeah I can't say I'm a fan of it either. Beyond the obvious movie trope of bearded wise mentor figure it will probably just come off as pandering. I know they want to do something for every fan here but I think the universe is rich enough to do that without literally including older characters.

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2014, 14:42 Verno

UHD wrote on Aug 14, 2014, 13:47:
But yeah, the complaints about linearity are hilarious when you realize X is just as bad in almost every respect and I don't remember anyone bitching about it then. I didn't think either game suffered for it. It's not like Final Fantasy stories have ever changed significantly because of player decisions.

X isn't as bad not even close. The illusion of freedom is important and X skirts the border but never goes beyond, always giving you enough to do and see. You do your shopping at the save cube in FFXIII while you venture down an often literal corridor, I don't care if there were story reasons for it thats just breaking down the 4th wall too much. Might as well include the producer as the antagonist. One of the most commonly leveled complaints about X back then was its linearity, though personally I believe that it hit the right balance. XIII goes way too far by stripping everything down to the bare minimum which is not what people play JRPGs for. A convoluted story with a largely unlikeable cast didn't help and the games combat system wasn't deep enough to carry it. Even forgetting comparisons to FF or other JRPGs it was just a mediocre game, almost incredibly so when you consider the sheer amount of money and time spent on it.

I actually liked X-2, it was a fun game and the story was more nuanced than it appears at first glance. It's just hard to see it over the in-your-face Dress Me Up Idol Yuna mini(skirt)game.

X-2 was a fine game, it just had bad characterization and a plot that no one outside of Japan could identify with due to cultural differences.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2014, 13:39 Verno

NKD wrote on Aug 14, 2014, 13:27:
13-2 and Lightning Returns ditch all that corridor bullshit. But the thing is, when I was replaying Final Fantasy X HD Remaster on my PS3, it struck me that FFX was pretty corridor-based as well. A LOT of the areas were just paths that funnelled you along to the next story point. In fact it's a lot like FF13 in that regard. The difference being in FFX you could revisit old areas.

The illusion of freedom is really important in most RPGs. When you strip down a JRPG to its barest form there isn't much there, that's why you can't make a game like that. People want the towns, dumb conversations with no-name NPCs, side quests and strategy guide fodder. That shit fills out the world, makes it more convincing. I remember reading that the producer on XIII wanted to make it a more "Call of Duty" experience and suddenly the quality of that game made more sense. I have no interest in checking out any of the follow ups, I hear lame things about the time mechanic and I thought the characters from that "universe" are by far some of the worst they've produced.

I hope 15 or whatever is a return to form. I really want something big and expansive again. FF12 had its flaws but overall something more like that. Give me an emphasis on gameplay again, not just the visuals, its a package deal.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Trailers
11. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Trailers Aug 14, 2014, 13:20 Verno

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 14, 2014, 13:06:
So I am kinda confused here. Is this a new AC game or a DLC for Black Flag?

Haha, this is how you know AC is getting to the point of absurdity.

15987 Comments. 800 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo