Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 16181 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Music Leaves Beta
14. Re: Steam Music Leaves Beta Sep 25, 2014, 12:06 Verno

Krovven wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 02:17:
Quite frankly it's pretty shit if you ask me.

Yeah I have to agree, it feels like a shitty open source project or something. The entire implementation is off and its missing many key features. The only reason I would ever use this is for my HTPC when people are over but the lack of better shuffle/party functionality kills that.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

General Discussion > NFL Week Four
3. No subject Sep 25, 2014, 11:58 Verno

I am taking big risks on this weeks stuff so I will probably drop like 15 places but oh well, more fun than just taking the safe ones

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2014, 11:53 Verno

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 10:08:
10% food fine for garbage bins? That seems like I'd be paying that a lot, if they count food waste items, ie. chicken bones, sliced off pieces of vegetables or gristle/fat from meat, etc.

Almost everything else gets recycled(plastics, paper, metals, glass), so my actual trash is probably MOSTLY 'food' garbage at this point.

Ah, reading the article, compost bins are available. Nice work, Seattle.

You might not want the hassle but you can usually use all of that stuff. I use bones for stock, veggies for stews, fat for rendering in other recipes and so on. I save a lot of money by just using everything whenever possible. Not going to lie, its a lot more work but its fun and you get much more flavorful stuff than store bought.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
6. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 25, 2014, 11:15 Verno

ldonyo wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 10:50:
The fact that these women feel they need to keep their identities hidden when saying anything because they fear reprisals, up to and including having their pictures and addresses posted for others to use in harassing them for their expressing views, is just plain sad. It's ironic that the behavior these women are so fearful of absolutely confirms everything they're speaking out against as women gamers and game developers.

I find that reasoning flawed and one sided. It feels more like trying to head off criticism at the pass. I don't believe that any female game developer speaking up on this will automatically get threatened or should fear for their safety, that seems more than a bit dramatic. The last time people dug into "threats" to Anita and Zoe things got pretty dubious. Plenty of people posting about this issue in general have been doxxed, it's not just female developers or something. I am much more likely to give credence to something that someone stands behind.

It's fine to say you don't want your name associated with this or the potential criticism/negativity that comes from talking about a controversial issue but I don't put any stock in the safety claims. Also people seem to paint with a wide brush on harassment, I've seen what I thought was simple criticism and disagreement labeled as such.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
34. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 25, 2014, 11:03 Verno

Axis wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 10:43:
Verno you read like a liberal blog. /argument over/for the children/not political/ Cut and paste that or something?

You like throwing around the liberal tag but much to your chagrin I'm a Republican You're the one cut and pasting things by the way, half of those links aren't even applicable to the discussion or are from dubious sources. You can google the other side of it and find even more evidence against those conclusions. I'm much more interested in peer reviewed study and climate models from actual climatologists rather than opinion puff from partisan sources. This statement from one of your own links about "scientists" opposing is pretty telling:

As of August 2012, fewer than 10 of the statements in the references for this list are part of the peer-reviewed scientific literature.

But that aside, you seem to be conflating two entirely different arguments. I am not saying man "caused global warming", if you actually read what I said you would notice I didn't even use the phrase global warming at all. It is too politically charged and frankly alarmist. I don't believe in the alarmist concept of global warming but given the volume of evidence that does show we are having an effect on increased CO2 concentration then I think its important to examine that and see how we can realistically change it with as little impact to our economy as possible. It's pretty hard to bring China into the fold on this when we are so split over ideological rather than scientific reasons.

Unlike an actual Liberal, I don't want unrealistic regulation forced on businesses but there are definitely areas where we can start to address things now rather than later.

My responsibility to my children is to not have political twats tax them to death for some bullshit regulations. Maybe you'll dig deeper when you have to pay taxes, or get your heating bill, or have kids... most do eventually wake up.

Then I think you would be on board with what I'm saying here. The economic implications of going on as if we're not having any impact are much more serious than prevention. I don't trust the liberal government to do it but I do recognize that some regulation is necessary. I would absolutely support a Republican government who is interested in tackling this issue but sadly people seem to just automatically associate any environment concerns with "LEFTIES!".

News Comments > Gauntlet Released
39. Re: Gauntlet Released Sep 25, 2014, 10:29 Verno

After playing for awhile I am no longer amused by the old school feel of the shared camera. The camera shifts sometimes take too long even after someone moves which gets extremely frustrating. I hope they patch it out. I get that they wanted people working together as a group but they already lock many of the rooms until you clear the enemies and the shared camera gets extremely tedious after awhile. I play with a group of RL friends and we've all changed our minds on this after the past few days. I can't even imagine trying to pub the game with it.  

32. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 25, 2014, 10:06 Verno

Axis wrote:
No pity needed. Happily married, 2 kids, semi retired and I don't have a "follow axis around" fetish. :)

Err I don't know, I'm not the one telling my missus about random internet people Clicked on the thread for the climate discussion, if I wanted Axis I'd go find a POE or GW2 thread.

The "community" is clearly fractured on this opinion. If anything, more and more agree that man, when compared to nature, has virtually no effect.

It's quite the opposite, almost every credible study points to heavily increased CO2 concentration since 1855 which was the start of industrialization. Not a little bit, not natural, a massive increase. Concentrations not seen naturally and yes we know because we can measure it it from ice pack. Also saying that man has no effect compared to nature is disingenuous, most of the largest CO2 buildups were as a result of catastrophic world events. I don't think we want to be saying "hey guys as long as it isnt as bad as that last meteor impact!".

The question was settled long ago and again, do we trust the scientific community or not? If they say natural climate change occurs, ok we trust them but when they say that man has a drastic effect then we ignore it? No, that's too convenient.

There is really no downside to acknowledging this either, I have no idea why this becomes so political and absurd for people who have no money in oil and etc. It's not a left vs right thing, for someone who claims to be a parent you would think you would have some sense of personal responsibility about what you might be leaving behind for your children.

This comment was edited on Sep 25, 2014, 10:26.

30. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 24, 2014, 18:19 Verno

Axis wrote on Sep 24, 2014, 15:08:
Count how many times I used it in the context of calling someone wrong about something, and omit doubles from the same thread -- you'll see a drastically different number. BTW I mentioned to my wife that you'd do exactly what you did, I know you all too well Verno. :)

"I rarely use the word wrong...except when I do all the time" ok well, whatever If you were just sitting around filling your "wife" in on the happenings on an old PC gaming forum then uh wow, you have my pity.

The "Consensus" of a group is generally bullshit and serves themselves 9 of 10 times, and in this case there is no real consensus. Measurable facts are all that matter.

Nope, can't agree with that. There are many cases where consensus serves us all well and many areas of science where "fact" is derived from consensus opinion and peer review. Scientific community says climate change is real but more importantly that man is accelerating the curve unnaturally. Scientific community also says that earth has natural climate cycles and people latch onto this but somehow think its fine to ignore the former. So do we trust the scientific community or not?

I don't really see what is so threatening to people about that conclusion either.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 24, 2014, 13:28 Verno

My biggest complaint with Watch Dogs was actually just the writing. I had minor quibbles with the driving and some of the activities but overall it wasn't bad. Unfortunately when you're standing next to GTA V you have to do better than not bad.  

28. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 24, 2014, 13:20 Verno

Axis wrote on Sep 23, 2014, 20:13:
Just re-read what I posted, pretty clear you are 100% wrong Beamer. And I rarely use the word "Wrong" but you are.

You've used the word wrong 89 times since registering here actually, you can see it by clicking on your username and typing "wrong" into the search box

On topic, I think it is amusing that people will accept the consensus of the scientific community on one hand and refuse to do so in another. There's nothing natural about the WW temperature curves with the rise of industrialization.

News Comments > Ancient Space Released
1. Re: Ancient Space Released Sep 24, 2014, 10:48 Verno

This looks pretty neat but I've got a bunch of other crap to play and I don't hear any word of mouth on it.  

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Earns $1.5M
14. Re: Wasteland 2 Earns $1.5M Sep 24, 2014, 10:48 Verno

This is pretty good, enjoying it so far. Highly suggest people make specialized characters though, I started off trying to do jack of all trades type stuff and it really doesn't work. The combat is simple but enjoyable enough.  

News Comments > Titan Falls: Blizzard Cancels Unannounced MMOG
64. Re: Titan Falls: Blizzard Cancels Unannounced MMOG Sep 24, 2014, 10:30 Verno

InBlack wrote on Sep 24, 2014, 09:23:
Verno wrote on Sep 24, 2014, 09:06:
Kudos to Blizzard for having the balls to kill a product instead of limping a half finished mess to market like EA does.

For all of their recent missteps Blizzard at least cares about the end products.

I hope that was their reasoning. I say hope because their reasoning could have very well been "Is it going to be profitable?" instead of "Is it going to be fun?".

I'm sure it was a bit of both, they're a business after all.

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline Progress Report
12. Re: Battlefield Hardline Progress Report Sep 24, 2014, 09:17 Verno

The beta I tried a few months ago was really boring and I am too addicted to the Naval Strike maps in BF4 to bother with this.  

News Comments > Titan Falls: Blizzard Cancels Unannounced MMOG
61. Re: Titan Falls: Blizzard Cancels Unannounced MMOG Sep 24, 2014, 09:06 Verno

Kudos to Blizzard for having the balls to kill a product instead of limping a half finished mess to market like EA does.

For all of their recent missteps Blizzard at least cares about the end products.

News Comments > Gauntlet Released
35. Re: Gauntlet Released Sep 24, 2014, 08:56 Verno

I thought gold was shared, gathering it first only seems to influence the level end score totals.  

News Comments > Op Ed
46. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2014, 16:02 Verno

No that's nonsense, I've answered you and so have other people across multiple threads. You just don't want to see the other perspective and its obvious in how dismissive & mocking every single post you make on the subject has been. It's quite apparent that no explanation will satisfy, you even said below that people shouldn't care or make a big deal out of it because there are bigger things in the world, as if that couldn't be applied to almost anything.

Anyways I'm sure there will be another article next week until the clicks stop coming so I'm off for the weekend, seeya next week fellas

News Comments > Op Ed
44. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2014, 15:40 Verno

Given everything thats been revealed over the past few weeks I can forgive people for being a bit abrasive, you've been no stranger to that in a few posts too.

No one is asking you to care about this anyway, you're the one questioning other people and you've been responded to several times but obviously don't want to see the other side of it so *shrug*.

News Comments > New GeForce GPUs & Drivers
38. Re: New GeForce GTX 980 & 970 GPUs & Drivers Sep 19, 2014, 15:29 Verno

There are certainly some niche scenarios at that resolution it makes sense for but I was speaking more generally. If I was gaming at 1080p I'd wait for the 20nm refresh but to each his own

Either way I'm very happy with the 970 and 980, great cards and the prices are surprisingly modest for Nvidia. 4k gaming for under $700, craziness.

News Comments > Op Ed
42. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2014, 15:19 Verno

People can barely be bothered to raise a stink about actual journalists who misreport the actual news that affects actual people's lives. To be so outraged about this, as if it matters or is in any way a good use of activistic energy in the slightest just seems to be dishonest and piling into the same agenda-driving train they are simultaneously railing against.

That's making assumptions about others behavior, who says everyone is up in arms? You paint a dramatic picture but the reality is more mundane. It's text, I don't see people marching on Washington over it. A bunch of shitty journalists and industry editorialists have been engaging in hypocritical behavior and are now being called out for it. Seems pretty straight forward to me. People tend to care about things related to their interests more and you should at least be cognizant enough to see that it matters to others even if you don't care. I can care (outrage seems like a purposely loaded word to choose) about many things simultaneously, I'm good at multitasking like that

People can say this sort of stuff sucks while also caring about other issues, it's not binary.

16181 Comments. 810 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo