Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 16920 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
25. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 15:04 Verno

Julio wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 14:22:
The drug corporations and politicians need their cash, hence the push for eventual forced vaccinations. Every time one of these types of initiatives starts, the answer is always - who benefits?

Lots of people had measles when I grew up, and they weren't dying left and right. The sheep follow the flock.

Is this a troll or do you actually believe this? Your anecdotal evidence of "I had measles and I'm fine" isn't convincing. Measles has other than minor complications in about 10% of cases and those complications can be pretty serious. If you don't want to be a "sheep" then go live in the mountains or something, otherwise why bother living in a society? The idea that your immune system is some rugged loner better off on its own is pretty hilarious imagery, not to mention silly as hell.

Parents who send their sick kids to school/daycare are the drivers of most illness spreading.

This is pretty absurd. Like one of the most ridiculous things I've read on these boards and I remember RollinThundr so that's saying something. First of all illnesses aren't immediately onset, there is an incubation period where people don't know they are sick but are potentially still contagious. Kids touch EVERYTHING, if you had any kids you would know this. Keeping them at home helps for sure but stuff will still spread because you inevitably have to take them somewhere like oh say the doctor. To use a topical example, measles can be airborne for a few hours after someone leaves a room.

Vaccination is not without issues but it is a far safer alternative than not being vaccinated.

Playing: Bloodborne, GTA V PC, Pillars of Eternity
Watching: The Last Man on Earth, Daredevil, Network
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
16. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 12, 2015, 13:24 Verno

Prez wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 13:00:
I would say that this last Republican landslide was not a function of people thinking that Republicans suddenly have an answer but a general disgust with the Democrats' inability to do anything about stagnant wages and the loss of higher wage jobs in favor of low wage jobs. As always, in elections, as the saying goes "it's the economy stupid!" In two years when the Republicans remind everyone how utterly ineffective they are the balance will swing back to the Democrats. It's the Political Pendulum of Futility.

The economy has finally stabilized and showed signs of a strong recovery but that's a difficult thing to explain to the average voter who sees it from a very narrow perspective. Some of the administrations higher profile failures certainly didn't help either. Politics is as much marketing as anything else these days, if not moreso. It's really hard not to be cynical about american politics these days when you start looking at the distro in contributions and the sheer amount of lobbying. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother voting.

12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 12, 2015, 12:41 Verno

Or because America has a highly polarized political system where you might not agree with either party but you don't have a lot of other options. People vote with issues and sometimes the issues swing republican.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 12:35 Verno

Axis wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 10:40:

Because most of these things are preventable via vaccination, and can be deadly to the young who cannot be vaccinated against it until a certain age.

The reason people need educated (and measles is the current 'vaccination education') is because of those people who aren't vaccinating for whatever selfish or dumb reason and get infected, then pass it on to ones who are too young to be vaccinated who die or have lifelong complications.

Exactly well put.

I'd add that just because something isn't deadly doesn't mean that its pleasant to have or can't cause non-life threatening problems on an ongoing basis. That's without getting into things like scarring that can dramatically affect a persons mental development and social standing.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Feb 12, 2015, 12:19 Verno

The last time I watched SVU they had run out of ideas to the point where they were literally entrapping guys straight out of prison with the most fucked up plots I've seen. The writers failed so badly that the cops were often coming off worse than the deviants they were chasing.

tl;dr SVU is a really dumb show so who cares.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Finds Lost Vikings
13. Re: Heroes of the Storm Finds Lost Vikings Feb 12, 2015, 11:45 Verno

Unless you're playing at the pro level last hitting/denying is only really a thing in the first 10 minutes of a Dota game and there usually isn't a lot of diving going on at that point anyway so it really just fills the time. Being bad at it doesn't murder the game either. I don't think Dota is in any way complex (depth != complexity) so I find complaints about its supposed complexity kind of mystifying and wonder how people ever played RTS games that have a lot more going on. It's basically just memorization and the ability to react quickly to situations in a teamwork setting. Dota 2 these days is very easy for newcomers. It has a full tutorial, bot matches, recommended build/item lists usable in game and so on. It has come a long way from launch. The community aspect is a different story but that's a problem endemic to the genre unfortunately.

I have an open mind so I'm totally willing to give Blizzards effort a shot but to be honest just the business model aspect is already offputting when compared to Dota 2. I also have a hard time seeing myself as pleased with less depth in a genre that wasn't exactly super deep to begin with but like I said, I will definitely try it.

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Feb 12, 2015, 11:25 Verno

He's hit and miss but I appreciate that he will call out publishers on bullshit. Much like Angry Joe I watch for the candor more than anything else. TB is more informative though.  

8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 12, 2015, 11:05 Verno

ForgedReality wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 10:30:
The parties are meaningless. It's all about who has the money to fund the corporatocracy. The only function parties and labels serve is in keeping the lazy-minded, easily brainwashed public thinking that democracy exists.

Pretty much. It makes voting extremely frustrating as it usually comes down to "who has screwed me less lately?" for most people. For all of the people getting angry at Republicans there are plenty of Dems on corporate payrolls, trust me.

I have to admit I was really worried about Wheeler but its been a pleasant surprise in every way so far.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 12, 2015, 10:11 Verno

Alcohol’s evaporating health benefits.

Haha nooo, my excuse to drink wine too much is ruined.

That Man from UNCLE trailer is great by the way.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 12, 2015, 09:22 Verno

Without getting into specifics they're available on the usual torrent sites.  

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Physical Rewards Vote
2. Re: Pillars of Eternity Physical Rewards Vote Feb 12, 2015, 09:21 Verno

The concerns about it leaking are legit so as a backer I don't mind getting the disc later on, its just for archival purposes anyway.  

News Comments > Homeworld Remastered Collection Story Trailer
5. Re: Homeworld Remastered Collection Story Trailer Feb 12, 2015, 08:49 Verno

Yeah I'm in like sin on this.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
6. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 11, 2015, 16:17 Verno

NetHead wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 11:38:
Verno wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 09:17:
I'm not defending this practice but its pretty trivial to block at the router level...

You mean those router things with loads of back doors...

If you are silly enough to use their firmware, sure. I'm not

Not sure what you're trying to say anyway. Do you think Samsung is going to hack your router to remove a block you put on their advertisements? LOL.

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - Evolve
62. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Feb 11, 2015, 15:52 Verno

nin wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 15:06:
I'm not the one who spent $100 on a dlc fest. If there's anyone that should be explaining their actions, it's you. edit: And if you dlc-fest is so fantastic, why aren't you off playing it now?

I was kinda with you until you started in with the "explaining your actions" stuff. Do you go to work for him and earn his money? Why should he have to explain anything? I've dropped way more money on far more trivial shit and I bet you have too, everyone has their foibles. I think spending $100 on this game is pretty silly and that's why I didn't buy it but if he wants to then hey whatever.

Also hes already explained himself, hes taken time to articulate what he thinks it does well which is more than I can say for some of the thread shitters here.

I don't like downloadable characters but cosmetics, who cares? Everyone does it these days and its always optional.

edit: And if you dlc-fest is so fantastic, why aren't you off playing it now?

He can't game 24/7. Is that sort of like saying if money is so important then why aren't you off earning it? Come on, that's just petty.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 11, 2015, 15:30 Verno

People do buy it though is the sad thing, I've met some audiophiles. With a profit margin that insane if you sell a small number and keep costs down you're doing great.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 11, 2015, 15:29 Verno

PHJF wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 13:19:
Verno wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 09:34:
It looks pretty boring to be honest. A cover shooter loaded with QTEs and scripted sequences. Meh.

Well that is what Uncharted is, but at least that had fun characters and exotic locations.

Touché.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2015, 15:26 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 14:19:
The more pressing problem for Cali is the rising sea levels. Yes, earthquakes will increase as the rising sea puts more pressure on the tectonic plates, but Bobbob's precious beaches will be swallowed up in a couple of decades, and coastal aquifers (what few are left) will be inundated with brackish water. Places like Balboa Island will be destroyed.

Is the timeline really that short? I've seen similar commentary about Florida, Louisana and a few other places but I haven't done much research on it.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2015, 12:27 Verno

BobBob wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 10:45:
Bit too hot here. Hitting the low 80's, even at the beach, due to the Santa Ana winds Should subside by Friday for the 3 day weekend. Thumbsup

I hope one day we get some movie style shifting of the tectonic plates out there that puts LA into the Pacific.

News Comments > Molyneux's Godus Breaking Promises
35. Re: Molyneux's Godus Breaking Promises Feb 11, 2015, 11:19 Verno

People really need to stop giving this guy any press since thats how he keeps getting money.  

News Comments > NVIDIA Evolve Drivers
17. Re: NVIDIA Evolve Drivers Feb 11, 2015, 09:58 Verno

Tim Collins wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 07:19:
To the people that don't think they hobbled the 970 in ACU by 10% don't know how to read patch notes, do math, think critically, and do your own research.

970 has problems kids...Nvidia lied and is abusing their market power with high prices/hobbled products.

Most of the time its simple oversight to be honest. Both companies break as much as they fix and optimize.

16920 Comments. 846 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo