Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 16301 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
29. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2014, 09:13 Verno

Julio wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 08:59:
As am I - it's too bad there isn't more support for stopping travel to ensure an outbreak doesn't happen. Surprised terrorists and serial killers aren't traveling to Africa to pickup ebola and then visiting other countries...

No, you misunderstand me. I am referring to the people using panicked language and who accuse the government of doing this intentionally. The sort who seem to actually want this to happen as it would confirm some bizarre paranoia. I don't think a travel ban is worthwhile, as someone else posted in another thread it would likely cause economic harm and do very little to actually impact any spread of Ebola. Both the CDC and several notable medical professionals not employed by the government have said that travel restrictions are generally not helpful in stopping the spread and can actual make contact tracing worse. Contact tracing is critical to stopping an outbreak before it begins.

Due to the way ebola is spread we aren't at much risk anyway, people are just letting their fears manifest and I have to say seeing that side of a few people here is a bit disturbing. People who previously preached about open borders and blah blah suddenly want them bolted down. Some who talk about helping other countries suddenly want to let them flounder and deal with this on their own. True colors and all that I guess.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc., etc.
38. Re: etc., etc. Oct 16, 2014, 09:09 Verno

I think it's perfectly okay to question Anitas credibility and people don't have to be nice about it either, that's really their choice. You can attack the argument and the person presenting it if you think their motives are dubious, its done all the time in debates.  

16. Re: etc., etc. Oct 16, 2014, 09:03 Verno

sdgundamx wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 08:48:
The key word in what you wrote is seems like. What's your evidence that this was a coordinated effort? The timing? Because that isn't evidence, it's coincidence. Whereas on the 8-chan front their efforts in these areas and their ties to the death threats (specifically the one against Wu) are well-documented.

Evidence is a strong word to use, I'm not convicting people of a crime. But if you want the basis for my opinion, I experienced it personally when posting on reddit and people were getting relatively innocuous posts and subreddits nuked. There were also efforts to get twitter accounts locked and people like Quinn & her supporters issued false DMCAs on Youtube, I literally saw it with my own eyes. As for the medias role, they had their own little mailing list of like minded people and I don't believe coincidence has them all coming up with supportive material in a short period of time. ASeven has a wealth of this documentation, feel free to hit him up for it, I don't collect the links in a big bookmark file or something to satisfy others.

People can argue GamerGate is "ugly" because of a vocal minority but I can say the same thing about the opposition which is absolutely true and they engaged in the exact same behavior.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2014, 08:40 Verno

garrywong wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 20:55:
What I'm afraid of is that it's going to take a minor crisis where a lot of people get hurt or die unnecessarily before the world governments take proper action to isolate and get rid of all human ebola infections once and for all. And although that's par for the course for most things, I still hate it to see needless loss of life and suffering when all of this can be done now instead.

Considering where its typically contracted (under developed countries) I don't see how this is a possibility. We're already making rapid vaccination progress so I don't think this will be a long term issue for us in North America, the countries that can't afford that vaccination on the other hand are a different story.

I have to say I'm really disappointed in a few posters around here who almost seem to desire an outbreak so they can fulfill some bizarre conspiracy theory fetish. The idea that the government wants this to happen is literally insane, the government is all about control and a virus is not easily controlled.

14. Re: etc., etc. Oct 16, 2014, 08:30 Verno

Second off, I think we can make a clear distinction between the GG movement which--whether they like it or not--has a dedicated group of people (i.e. 8-chan and others) actively seeking to stir shit up through doxxing, intimidation, etc. in the name of GG, and the supposed "other side" that... simply doesn't. There's no where near that level of coordination.

So since we're making broad generalizations, I guess the "anti GG" people are also all about stirring shit up, doxxing, intimidation and etc. They are after all the same people who engaged in censorship, doxxing and other forms of intimidation since this began. Nowhere near that level of coordination? Funny you could have fooled me when subreddits were being nuked, twitter accounts doxxed or ToS'd through false complaints and the media came out with a bunch of like minded stories in a short period of time. Seems more coordinated than a hashtag group to me.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 15, 2014, 15:01 Verno

43% of Americans believe they or one of their relatives will contract Ebola. So there's a 43% chance they're not kidding.

Haha wow that's crazy. People really need to stop freaking about large font, bolded headlines. You're more likely to die from catching the flu. The government is not trying to infect anyone either, that is just some looney tunes stuff.

News Comments > etc.
27. Re: etc. Oct 15, 2014, 14:55 Verno

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 13:55:
The advantage here is GG is also getting positive press, precisely because this issue has gotten bigger. Which is partly why anti-GG people are freaking out on the media end. They are not used to being replied to on anything approaching an equal level.

Yeah pretty much nailed it there. They expected the same sort of one sided bullshit we've been seeing for months thanks to gaming editorials and other nonsense. Now that people aren't reacting the way they want them to its freak out time. Oh well, looks good on them for being dumb and lumping everyone together when people bitched about it time and time again.

News Comments > Game Reviews
16. Re: Game Reviews Oct 15, 2014, 14:37 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 13:53:
Do you have some examples of this flip-floppery?

Much of it was derived from the RFM podcast and his reviews so it doesn't translate easily to a bullet point list or something. I will see if I can put together something for you when I get home but generally speaking I think if you listen to him for awhile you'll get what I'm saying.

Used properly, Metacritic is an awesome tool.

Agreed, I like Metacritic as a general tool for indexing purposes. Unfortunately many people seem to put weight in its other aspects.

12. Re: Game Reviews Oct 15, 2014, 13:29 Verno

Quboid wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 13:06:
That's not quite what he was saying, it was more like "someone regularly has a different opinion than quite a few people, they must be doing it for attention". I disagree with him, but it wasn't as alternate-opinion-adverse as you imply.

My greasemonkey script is snipping a bunch of this but what I meant was that he literally flipflops on things, probably to drive attention/clicks. I was speaking about this one specific person, not in general about anyone with an alternate opinion. I've seen him do this stuff many times, not giving a shit with one company or game then making it a big issue in another. It's a tiresome schtick but sadly hes definitely a lifer in the industry.

8. Re: Game Reviews Oct 15, 2014, 12:43 Verno

Arthur Gies is a path of least resistance douchebag, as in he takes the shortest path to pissing people off that he can in virtually every circumstance. He doesn't really have personal opinions, he just flipflops around on whatever he thinks will drive the most attention.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 15, 2014, 12:03 Verno

Oh and just sent it in to Blue but good news for cord cutters. HBO standalone streaming in 2015.

And Google introduces the nail in the coffin of the Ouya. Good specs too, quad core Atom. Be interesting to see if it has the same UI as the Android TV units, those things owned. You could search for a show and it would find it across all apps/storage/etc. That's one of the few things most of the media players on the market seem to miss.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2014, 12:46.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 15, 2014, 11:45 Verno

Julio wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 11:09:
Clearly they do. Looking like a good call not to close the borders, it may be too late for the US - but I'd like to see other countries start closing their borders to all travelers from impacted nations.

I seriously can't tell when people are kidding or not on the internet anymore. Too late for the US to what exactly? Do you seriously think we're going to have a wide scale Ebola outbreak?

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Oct 15, 2014, 11:02 Verno

It's like everytime more than 2 people are affected by the same thing it's an "epidemic!".

Err....weren't you just saying the government wants an intentional pandemic over less than a handful of US Ebola cases? I don't think you're giving them enough credit, perhaps the media knows its business after all.

News Comments > The Evil Within Released
26. Re: The Evil Within Released Oct 15, 2014, 10:54 Verno

Can't spell ignorant without ign.

Their review is way off, play it yourself and see sometime. The game has flaws for sure but the reviewer unfairly dings it for several things. The game is actually rarely repetitive, in fact just when you start getting comfortable with things they will mix it up and this happens several times in the game. The survival angle never gets old either as the tension is palpable and they do a fantastic job on pacing. The core gameplay is great if you like survival/stealth games but it requires that kind of mindset from the player.

The games flaws are more related to its story and characterization being weak. Alien worked so well because its characters and themes were so relatable, this is where Isolation fails. Even still the datalogs and journals are interesting and the core story is serviceable.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Oct 15, 2014, 10:22 Verno

InBlack wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 10:18:
Mainstream media is apparently just as guilty of unprofessionalism as the gaming rags.

Hahah dude, most of mainstream media consists of people regurgitating whats on Reuters. Seriously it is shocking how few original news sources exist in the world today. Cultivating a source, researching a subject, fact checking, thats a lot of time and work, why bother when you can just "report" someone elses news?

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 15, 2014, 09:52 Verno

Cutter wrote on Oct 14, 2014, 23:17:
The European Union and the Obama administration have been increasingly vocal about the tax-avoidance strategies of multinational companies and the countries that enable them. The European Commission is conducting a broad investigation into the relationships between multinationals and perceived tax havens like Ireland, Luxembourg and the Netherlands.

Yet strangely enough don't actually do anything about them. How odd. Isn't that odd? It's so very, very, very, very odd.

Thinking2

Aggressive lobbying effectively kills any attempts at serious reform these days, not just in this but most things. We've created a system of government where getting anything done is almost impossible.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 15, 2014, 09:27 Verno

I am kinda worried that their firmware fix for the EVO is just rewriting old cells in the background, taking up write cycles needlessly. The article says the fix itself is coming later but its available on their website already.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 15, 2014, 09:24 Verno

Crytek 'open' to bringing Ryse to PS4.

Looks like they've buried their relationship with Microsoft after they got refused funding on Ryse 2.

27. Re: etc., etc. Oct 15, 2014, 09:03 Verno

"must tackle problem that seems to only exist from one view point without considering another". Yeah thats a fair way to engage.  

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Videos
14. Re: Far Cry 4 Videos Oct 15, 2014, 09:00 Verno

Ugh already caught 2 dream sequence snippets from that trailer, looks like more of what was annoying in Far Cry 3.  

16301 Comments. 816 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo