Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 15805 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
80. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2014, 08:55 Verno

yuastnav wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 07:38:
After reading the article I am at a loss why so many of you find it so upsetting, as if it was attacking you personally.

Who said anyone is upset? People just want to discuss it and they can't do it there because they locked the comments from the start. Maybe people don't agree with their conclusions or think that their experiences aren't indicative of the norm but they have shut down all conversation which seems really bizarre when you're trying to get people on your side about something.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
47. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 18:05 Verno

UHD wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 15:10:
Your presumption is that the gender spread will equalize (assuming 50/50 I guess) and that equal representation will solve the problem outright. That's not necessarily the case, particularly if the culture doesn't change, and it doesn't make it okay to handwave the current state of affairs.

I didn't handwave anything, I addressed it in a realistic manner rather than getting all dramatic and assuming I could "fix" the problem if I summoned enough outrage and posted online enough times. I know that it is a problem that can't be easily boiled down to bullet points and resolved like a 30 minute sitcom. It also affects other races and yes men as well.

It is absolutely harmful because it furthers the idea that men should look at women as sexual objects first and people second. That is one of the main points of the article. Women can't complain on one hand while ignoring it on the other. If we must endure a hundred articles on this subject then they can write some aimed at the women who are also prolonging that mentality.

You're blaming the victim. How do you not see that?

Nonsense, I was addressing a relevant point that is directly referenced in the article.

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 14:52 Verno

UHD wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 14:08:
Time isn't going to naturally cure all wounds; women's suffrage wasn't a time-release issue. It took effort. You're right that it's not a simple problem with simple solutions. "Do nothing because that's just the way it is" is a simple solution.

Comparing this to womens suffrage feels almost like hyperbole. "Also do nothing" isn't much of a solution either, this article isn't really making any significant points of action. I was just recognizing that it will take time for the gender spread to be more equal, its already started in many ways when you look at the past 10 years and how the demographics have changed. People like the idea that we can all just hop to a solution and make it happen over night but this sort of change is very gradual and requires patience.

I don't think the proverbial GAMERGURL harms the cause of "don't be a dick to women" because you shouldn't be projecting the GAMERGURL's peculiarities onto other women. Much like saying ALL gamer dudez are sexist pigs. It's obviously not true universally, but the sentiment works both ways and doesn't excuse shitty behavior in either case.

It is absolutely harmful because it furthers the idea that men should look at women as sexual objects first and people second. That is one of the main points of the article. Women can't complain on one hand while ignoring it on the other. If we must endure a hundred articles on this subject then they can write some aimed at the women who are also prolonging that mentality.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 12:55 Verno

UHD wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 12:18:
Then what was the point of bringing up those things, except to present the argument that their presence somehow counterbalances the real problems? I'm genuinely curious.

I explained it below, it's not a simple situation. These things happen for a variety of reasons and understanding the reasoning is important. It's also important to understand that there might be nothing people can realistically do about the problem other than allow time to pass. It's also important to acknowledge that women have a role in helping influence their own destiny too, thats why I brought up the example of women who actually damage their own "cause".

News Comments > Areal Fundraising Resumes In-House
8. Re: Areal Fundraising Resumes In-House Jul 23, 2014, 11:39 Verno

Jerykk wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 11:21:
The fact is that there are a lot of companies that make their livelihood on STALKER, so when we showed up on the scene, they saw us as a threat and did everything that they could to stop us.

Really? Like what? I can't think of a single company whose livelihood depends on STALKER. Unless you count modders as companies. Even then, their mods don't make them any money so... yeah.

Yeah, I'm not even sure what that guy means. Who are these people hiding in the shadows that make their living off STALKER, a game that is what..7+ years old and never really enjoyed mainstream success.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 11:10 Verno

UHD wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 10:50:
The presence of "GAMERGURLs" doesn't make it okay to be a sexist asshole. The existence of sexual harassment outside the Internet doesn't make it okay inside the Internet too.

Where did I say it makes it ok? Straw man. It's not an excuse for the behavior itself, its a contributing factor in a complex situation. We have a society dominated by the culture of worship based on appearance, the internet which provides casual anonymity and vastly different genders. It's not as simple as "men r dicks". Many, if not most men are not contributing to it. Some women contribute to the problem and I don't see them being called out for it.

Advances aren't inherently harassment either. I think it sucks women have to fend off hoards of lonely nerds online but that's a reality of the gender spread in gaming right now. It is certainly a different landscape now than 10 years ago and will change even more as time goes on. People who harass women after the fact are a different matter and that is a problem without a bullet point solution, I can't really do much to influence that. If it is serious then I would call the police.

If you can't see sexual harassment of women in a culture dominated by men to be a problem I don't know what to tell you.

Kind of a loaded point designed to make any answer seem insensitive.
I don't think its ok that the average MOBA player calls me a worthless waste of life if I miss an assist or threatens to kill me either but I accept that these things happen when dealing with the public and do my best to enjoy the game despite that. I don't like the idea of anyone being harassed but I'm not convinced that this is really an issue I can do anything to influence anymore than the aforementioned. Beating me over the head with it and associating all men with this behavior isn't going to help either.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 10:33 Verno

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 10:14:
If you don't think women get any more abuse than men, you're delusional. While people will say horrible shit during a gaming match, they don't go hunting those people down, sending them rape threats for months/years after. No one does that shit to males, or if they do, it's incredibly rare.

All men are just hunting women down after matches and threatening rape? If you want people to accept that these things are just a given then you have to be willing to look at the other side of it. There are many women who cultivate the GAMERGURL culture and enjoy the sense of attention that comes with it. If you don't believe that then go have a look at twitch or Live From Playstation sometime. That's not an excuse for the behavior but a contributing factor that I don't see women in the press doing much to examine. My girlfriend isn't a huge gamer but shes played a few online games with me and she has managed to avoid death threats and rape jokes, I don't think its a universal truth that these things are automatic if you're a female gamer.

I think its true that women get a lot of unwanted sexual advances online but the same situation is true outside of the internet in many societies. Many people do not handle rejection well but again thats not a problem that is gender specific. Death threats are something I've personally received while gaming and I think that's an ugly aspect of the anonymity the internet provides. Whether women get a greater proportion of these or not I can't say for certain but after playing Dota for awhile I suspect its probably more even than people suspect.

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 2014, 10:51.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 09:43 Verno

I'm getting tired of hearing about women's issues all the time in the press, I can only summon so much empathy before I start to think "well do something about it then". If writing about their plights is doing something then maybe...stop doing so much about it then

Seriously though people are pricks on the internet, many of the examples are things where something has gone viral or the person was exposed to large public attention. It sucks but that attracts the weirdos. I think they get a different kind of harassment which sucks but there are a lot of lonely people and weird people who act out on the internet because it provides them a sense of anonymity. I'm sure Adam Orth or CliffyB would happy to tell some of them all about the harassment they get.

Edit: they disabled comments for the story which was really lame.

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 2014, 10:06.

News Comments > Dark Souls II Crown of the Sunken King DLC Released
11. Re: Dark Souls II Crown of the Sunken King DLC Released Jul 23, 2014, 09:02 Verno

PropheT wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 00:36:
Dragon's Dogma is my favorite game, I've played through it so many times... the only thing I'd say about it is that I wouldn't recommend reading anything prior to playing through it at least once, just find your own way and don't sweat it if you miss a quest or two.

You can really powergame it hard, and most of the info out there now is for the metagame of perfecting your character, etc... just better to skip any guides and have fun with it instead, and do the powergaming later if you want to.

Dragon's Dogma is a werid but awesome action RPG. It has a lot of western RPG influence in it combined with some Monster Hunter elements. The story and translation are dodgy as hell but the gameplay itself is surprisingly free form. I really enjoyed it too and agree that the first playthru should be blind, it has a lot of missables but thats Japan for you.

News Comments > Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed
26. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed Jul 23, 2014, 08:58 Verno

I'll wait to see, preordering makes zero sense and these guys have a lot to prove after DA2. If other people want to be silly with their money then so be it  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2014, 10:31 Verno

I prefer the art heist mission in that game, the parameters for stealth are a lot easier to understand. The smash and grab in the mall is just basically running around spamming damage to the glass so you can get out of there quickly before the cops show up. The jewelry store ones are similar, you basically have someone jam coms and then get the min bag count and get out before it turns into a shit show. The bank requires more finesse but there is some randomness involved so its harder to generalize about.

Haven't played in a few months, its not one of those games where you really want to replay it a lot once you figure out the optimal paths.

The insurance scammer getting hit there is hilarious. He was so bad at faking the collision that the driver didn't even see him at all. I guess in the end he'll have a real claim now though ugh

This comment was edited on Jul 22, 2014, 10:40.

News Comments > PC Gaming Alliance Gives Up, Changes Name
28. Re: PC Gaming Alliance Gives Up, Changes Name Jul 22, 2014, 09:31 Verno

Oh these jokers again hopping on the next trend bandwagon. Did these clowns ever do...anything at all other than make press releases?  

News Comments > Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel
24. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 14:43 Verno

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 14:06:
They could have been more subtle.

Given the usual audience for these games, no they really couldn't be more subtle and still get the point across

15. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 12:14 Verno

ItBurn wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 11:32:
Yeah, no. The devs wanted to make a fun game with a good story that would make players think. I know it sounds cool to think that they'd make it feel like a grind on purpose, but it's just not the case. They simply failed.

Well no, the nature of subjective opinions and all that. A lot of people enjoy that style of game, particularly in their target demo which was console players. If you throw out the name of your favorite game I'm sure you'll find several people telling you how bad it is.

I thought the gameplay was serviceable and the set pieces were entertaining, my complaints were more about the control setup being awkward on the PC.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2014, 11:34 Verno

I got near some duck eggs near our house to see what the ducks were doing in our bushes, didn't even touch them but apparently this was taboo because they were abandoned shortly afterward  

3. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 09:29 Verno

Squirmer wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 09:11:
Alternatively, the "intellectual approach" is the only thing that made an otherwise stock standard cover shooter stand out in any way.

Agreed, the gameplay was totally unremarkable and they couldn't really revisit the shooter tropes with the same dramatic effect. It was a great commentary and forced some introspection on the player in a genre designed to hide morality and motivation behind convenient villains but I wouldn't want a sequel. After all its sort of lampooning the shooter industry so a sequel would almost feel like a betrayal of sorts.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2014, 09:13 Verno

Cutter wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 23:28:
Is there a name for this little fantasy world you guys live in? This is one of the advantages of having studied history and poli sci in university, I see the world as it really is.

Yep you're an expert on everything alright Rolleyes

News Comments > Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes
27. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 19, 2014, 17:33 Verno

Krovven wrote on Jul 19, 2014, 11:51:
And for the people that said 2h would be fine at lvl 70 in RoS, when from beta it was already clear they would not

Oh, who said that? I thought outside of release for a brief window that 2Hers have been pretty garbage all along.

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 2014, 18:01.

News Comments > Into the Black
13. Re: Into the Black Jul 18, 2014, 12:53 Verno

Cutter wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 20:57:
Why is Weird Al spoofing that? This generation of shallow, empty, vacuous kids who celebrate style over substance is nothing that should be promoted. If anything those idiotic kids are guaranteed to be the next generation of career fast-food workers. It's just a shame so much tax money has to be wasted on them.

Your thought process is bizarre. Why is Weird Al doing what hes always done and golly that new generation of kids sure are disappointing!?! Why is so much tax money (not) being spent on them!

News Comments > Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes
10. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 18, 2014, 12:24 Verno

Theo wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 12:02:
I cant remember if i am right about the facts, but my impression about 2h vrs 1h was mostly a gem issue with a little stat swing

PS not saying this stuff isnt welcome, or needed, just calling out the standard 4 v 8 stat budget argument.

Yeah you could be right dude, I don't know its been awhile since I played. I might load up PTR sometime and check it out but right now the Destiny beta is too darned fun.

I haven't looked closely at legendary gems

I only took a brief look at a loot table link but like Skill said it seemed that all of the legendary gems on PTR were jewelry only.

15805 Comments. 791 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo