Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 17052 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2015, 10:49 Verno

The Mars One "project" is such a mess, it has no coherent plans and seems to be more of a marketing campaign than an actual attempt to explore and colonize space. Reading about it about the past year, I'm dismayed anyone would give them money without at least doing some cursory research.  

Playing: The Witcher 3, Bloodborne, Secret of Mana
Watching: X-Files, Mad Men, Mad Max Fury Road
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Soars
90. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 17, 2015, 09:54 Verno

Ok after reading most of this thread for feedback I am totally picking this up, thanks for all of the info fellas  

News Comments > etc., etc.
11. Re: etc., etc. Mar 17, 2015, 08:35 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 22:01:
Cutter wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 21:53:
walrus1 wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 21:45:
I live in a city where restaurants throw away thousands upon thousands of dollars of food each month as people starve down the block. People also freeze as shops destroy and throw out coats including childrens. So yeah I have a hard time getting upset some video games. Should they donate them? Yeah but much much worse gets thrown away every single day.

Agreed on all points. Question is why they're not recycling to begin with.

Because if you gave this stuff away for free, you'd create a shadow market. Yeah, at first you'd assume it helps the poor and it would, but it does not for long. Some would try to sell it (obviously below store prices) to get money... and this would fuck everyone over. The poor that don't sell as well the stores. Because if they get this when they don't have item X, wouldn't they try to trick the store or whoever into giving them multiple such items to sell the ones they don't need?

As sad as it is, but you can only help the really poor by getting them OFF the street and into something that pays for their living. Any material donation undercuts businesses and that leads to even more poor people. It is quite literally why entire African continent is more or less fucked with zero own necessity goods industry (like clothing). You as local business can't compete against free stuff.

That said food is another matter... there are legal reasons for throwing away food, price reasons, competition reasons. But at the end food is vital to supply poor people with and so for food there should be exceptions everywhere. And where I live all food thrown out but not yet "decayed" is donated to certain institutions. (soup kitchens or specifically "Tafel")

Great answer, thanks for writing it up.

News Comments > Valve on Improving Steam Customer Service
64. Re: Valve on Improving Steam Customer Service Mar 16, 2015, 14:30 Verno

nin wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 08:57:
Kedyn wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 04:01:
It's easy to get an F from the BBB, though. People whine to the BBB about frivolous bullshit, the company does nothing (and doesn't even try to get accredited) and just gets an F. Big deal. BBB is just where consumers go when *they* fuck up because they didn't read the terms of sale and just have an ax to grind against the company, so they'll go wherever they can to try to stick it to them, either for "moral" reasons or to get something for free. Or both.

The fact that Kotaku - part of the shitball Gawker network - is the one to shine a giant spotlight on it is no surprise. Continued sensationalist journalism at its finest, complete with the usual misleading story headline.

I'll give that an 8/10. Decent effort, but trying a little too hard.

It's a bit one sided but its not a troll, some of that stuff is pretty well known.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
21. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 16, 2015, 14:01 Verno

Axis wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 13:55:
Best game of 2014? Divinity Original Sin by far.

Dragon age is just a bunch of great story voiceover actors around a generic gameplay.

Divinity: Original Sin is a bunch of great gameplay around generic story voiceover actors.

I liked Divinity but I felt like the game's challenge really drops off after level 8. The story is weirdly paced, sometimes having 5 minute textdumps when they could've spread it out more. By the end of the first area I was just sort of going through the motions with the fights. What I did appreciate about it was the traditional co-op implementation with offscreen/etc. The combat systems interaction with the environment was also very slick.

I think South Park was actually the stand out game of last year but it sorta got glossed over after delays and it came out pretty early in the year.

I find that the choices are more than the sum of their parts. It adds "deepness" to the game and the feeling that you really can affect the world and that the story is your story. Dragon Age has always been about that and I think it's one of their pillars.

Agree to disagree I guess. For me immersion comes more from the quality of the writing and the atmosphere of the game. Making a bunch of often meaningless decisions that don't really change the game sounded good on paper to me but in practice I feel like both major Bioware franchises have kinda failed at it. But maybe you're right and its just an execution thing, who knows. If not eliminate then at least pare down to fewer, more meaningful choices like The Witcher IMO.

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2015, 14:06.

News Comments > Rise of the Triad (2013) Giveaway on GOG.com
2. Re: Rise of the Triad (2013) Giveaway on GOG.com Mar 16, 2015, 13:45 Verno

When the site isn't crapping itself, there will be a banner at the very top of the gog homepage to click on. Make sure you're already logged into your account to save time.  

16. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 16, 2015, 12:54 Verno

To each his own but I don't think they are that important. I struggle to remember more than a few I care about over the course of the game, most of those involving the potential death of a companion. They can do those anyway without trying to do insane story branching that ends up gimmicky after they realize they can't accommodate everyone. I would much rather those design resources go into fleshing out game content rather than a billion hours on the whiteboards figuring out all of the choice permutations. Hell they had to retcon several over the course of the games anyway (Lelianas potential death for example) so its obviously getting in the way.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2015, 12:46 Verno

Wallshadows wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 12:29:
Verno wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 10:16:
Finally got around to Interstellar last night and was happy to see outside of a few stupid moments and some Hollywoodisms that it lived up to the hype. The movie was almost 3 hours long but I didn't really mind. I remember reading complaints about complexity when it come out but I thought It was much more approachable than Inception which was an unnecessarily dense movie for such a simple plot.

I enjoyed Interstellar although it really jumped ship once they decided to turn Matt Damon in to a Bond villain. Not the best movie I've ever seen but it definitely gave me something to look forward to in this recent drought of even 'okay' movies where the amount of good movies compared to the amount of awful movies I've seen in the past several months is definitely one-sided with no chance to balance it in sight.

Vague spoilers: I don't know, I thought his motivations there were pretty understandable in the context. Hearing him trying to rationalize everything was a very human moment and I can see someone cracking under that kind of pressure. I just thought the casting was a bit weird, probably should've been an unknown.

And yeah agreed, it was like one of the few good ones I've seen in awhile but I'm not much for the Marvel movies and whatnot. I've been getting more into the short TV series lately as they have more head room for story and character background.

14. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 16, 2015, 12:42 Verno

I don't hold DA:O up on a pedestal or anything but I agree DA:I doesn't measure up to it. I think in terms of story impact there were a lot of little things that change but few major ones, whether that satisfies someone is really a coin flip. I hope we don't see any more of this story telling from Bioware, to be blunt they just don't do it well and I'm not sure its their fault, it is incredibly challenging from a design perspective. I think the only games I've seen to do it well were Witcher 2 and Alpha Protocol, the former is more of a hard branch than anything else so pretty much just AP.

I really enjoyed the zone designs, general artwork and music from DA:I. Characterization was solid but only a few stand out. Combat was really uneven, sometimes fun and challenging in the few well designed fights then back to boredom as you spend far too long fighting trash constantly. The PC interface problems were annoying. The story is all over the place. At the end of the day I put in a fair amount of time in and enjoyed it despite my laundry list of annoyances. I thought it was very flawed but still enjoyable and at least showed they learned some lessons from DA2.

Wishlist for a new DA:

- no more story choices, unnecessary and doesn't amount to much
- Do a decent MP module or just spend the resources somewhere else
- Actual PC interface work done instead of lip service
- Completely new characters and plot set in the same universe, no holdovers
- AI tactic/customization needs to make a comeback
- A few less "zones" with more to do in each of them
- More meaningful sidequests, less bulletin board style filler
- Decide whether you're making an action game for bros or an RPG. No more in between, its hurting the combat.

12. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 16, 2015, 12:10 Verno

My top games are Watch Dogs and the D3 expansion. I'm going to go with WD. I almost 100%ed that game and I never do that. I'm not one of those people who had unrealistic expectations.

I thought Watch Dogs was pretty average to be honest and my expectations were fine, it was more that they overdid it on the marketing. With the TheWorseMod fixes applied it looked fine and the gameplay was alright but nothing spectacular. GTA V was just so damned good that Watch Dogs played like a 5 year old title, the driving was especially bad. That said I enjoyed playing it like a stealth game and the hacking did make for some really interesting gameplay moments when everything lined up right.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2015, 11:25 Verno

I'm super happy about the lack of shields in this, I thought all of the turtling people did in videos/pvp was lame and it made the gameplay too predictable.  

7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 16, 2015, 11:20 Verno

Last year had a ton of disappointing releases and DA:I was pretty decent, expectations were low after DA2 which didn't hurt either. For all of the crap it gets from myself and others it was a genuinely good game dragged down by some regrettable design issues.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2015, 10:58 Verno

Blue wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 10:18:
Shineyguy wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 10:15:
I read a few articles on it Blue, seems that the new charges are in relation to some new information that was revealed in the HBO series that aired.

Oh there's no question of that... not what you expect at all from a documentary, as the filmmakers definitely became a huge part of the story. It could not have played out more like fiction if they had scripted it.

Now I'm intrigued, I will be checking this out later tonight. I really enjoyed the HBO special on Whitey Bulger I watched last week and I didn't realize this was a 6 part miniseries.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2015, 10:16 Verno

Finally got around to Interstellar last night and was happy to see outside of a few stupid moments and some Hollywoodisms that it lived up to the hype. The movie was almost 3 hours long but I didn't really mind. I remember reading complaints about complexity when it come out but I thought It was much more approachable than Inception which was an unnecessarily dense movie for such a simple plot.

I think I will rewatch Memento soon and try to forget that third Batman movie Nolan did.

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2015, 09:06 Verno

Can't wait for Bloodborne, saw some gameplay stuff from people on Youtube over the weekend before it got nuked and it looks excellent.  

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Confirmed
38. Re: Titanfall 2 Confirmed Mar 13, 2015, 15:59 Verno

The problem with Titanfall was the bullshit matchmaking and the interface. I want user controlled dedicated servers and if you won't support mods, at least ship a barebones fucking map creator. When you're a brand new IP you need every customer you can get and you get those people by courting them with features that your competition doesn't have or at least by doing it better.

I won't play FPS games with matchmaking as their only MP interface and if that means I play less FPS games in the future I'm ok with that. Quite happy to keep buying the ones that do offer it.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 13, 2015, 10:40 Verno

InBlack wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 10:30:
A black hole is not really absent, nor is it really a hole.

(Sorry to nitpick Verno, slow day at work I guess )

Yes, that's kind of the whole point in the context of Microsoft.

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 13, 2015, 10:22 Verno

"I think (Valve) they've got a great vision," he says. "I've said it before, the work they've done on the Windows gaming side for 15, 20 years has been amazing. They've been the shepherds of that ecosystem while we've been a little bit absent.

LOL understatement of the year there Phil, more like an absence akin to a black hole.

News Comments > Op Ed
40. Re: Op Ed Mar 13, 2015, 10:16 Verno

Well then, I guess that's all cleared up  

News Comments > Star Citizen is Huge
81. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 16:36 Verno

{PH}88fingers wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 16:22:
nin wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 10:31:
InBlack wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 10:15:
Bullshit. It has everything to do with it. Hard-drive space would not be an issue if they would concentrate on doing a Space game first and foremost

"Pew Pew! Let's add in a first person shootar!!!!!"

I wish I'd never backed this on KS. What it was then, and what it is now are completely separate things. Even at $37, I have buyers remorse...

Buyers remorse and wish you hadn't backed on KS, please msg me privately and I'll happily fix that problem for you. I will paypal you $37 for your account instantly.
But why do I somehow doubt you will reply... hmm I wonder...

I also am filled with dismayed regret over Kickstanding this multiplayer online adventure game. Perchance you could immediately paypal me $37 to rectify this situation. God bless you and your family good sir, I will gracefully await your positive correspondence.

- Prince of Nigeria Verno Nwanagu Aghedo

17052 Comments. 853 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo