Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 16301 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft
79. Re: Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft Oct 21, 2014, 08:50 Verno

Wow, this thread started at zero and plowed right into the ground promptly after...I would imagine it's threads like these that Blue stops and wonders why he even bothers...at least I would...

If he cares he could use many examples from this thread to clean house, many people take advantage of the lax moderation around here. It's become a bit of a cesspool, even perma-banned posters just rereg and keep going, not doing anything to hide their identity. The "dont be a dick" rule is basically never respected either and that's become the norm.

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 2014, 08:58.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft
9. Re: Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft Oct 20, 2014, 15:46 Verno

Ubisoft Toronto did a pretty good job on Splinter Cell: Blacklist so kudos and best luck in her next endeavor.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
56. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 20, 2014, 14:39 Verno

My only problem with Alien: Isolation is that it feels like there is no reward for good play, they use really cheap AI tricks to introduce artificial tension. I know they wanted to create tight moment to moment gameplay but you can only do the same so many times before it stops being scary or interesting. You can totally outwit the Alien but even on this massive station it will always be lurking around somewhere the second you kick over a can. They didn't need to be that aggressive with its constant presence. Your mind would fill in the blanks and end up scaring you more with the idea of it potentially being around the corner rather than that being the literal case. The big lull at the beginning is rarely replicated which is unfortunate, it was really good pacing and created a lot of tension because they held back so much.

Beyond that though I find it to be pretty top notch and have been loving the atmosphere. A bit more non-linear design would have been nice as well I guess.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 20, 2014, 09:20 Verno

Yeah the lows are getting into single digits overnight here too. I put the winter tires on the car this weekend and swapped the ancient battery I had in there. I'm always really bad at estimating my time with these things, I told my GF it would take 30 minutes and somehow it ended up taking closer to 2 hours since I always find other things that need attention. I used to pride myself on doing my own car maintenance/etc but as I get older I just find it to be a pain in the ass. Next time I'm just paying someone to do it for me.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 20, 2014, 09:13 Verno

It's mostly tech illiterate folk who somehow figure out how to work torrents but not how to play the files they download. VLC all the way, XBMC for remote friendly.  

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
54. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 20, 2014, 09:00 Verno

Icewind wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 20:46:
loomy wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 20:38:
intolerant assholes on all sides are responsible for this mess. it's not about games. it's a religious war against disagreement. everyone needs to shut the fuck up and leave people be

Bingo.

Every hobby will always have people that like "A" style.
It will also have people that like "B" style.
People who like "A" style hate people who like "B" style, and vice-versa.

So the folks who want more "Gone Home" style games about lesbians and sexual tolerance need to learn to accept the folks that want CoD killfests and Bayonetta crotchshot games just as much as the latter group needs to accept the former.

But no, that would be too easy, and everyone wants to bitch. I've grown tired of it.

Yep this is what bothers me. Someone in a different thread the other day suggested a change to Super Mario because I guess princess getting rescued all the time demeans women. Really we're going from nothing to changing Mario games, oooook then. I see plenty of strong female representation in games, we don't need to go around changing the whole fucking hobby to suit an extremely small vocal minority who can't just be patient while these things happen on their own over time.

News Comments > Morning Patches
6. Re: Morning Patches Oct 17, 2014, 14:46 Verno

Like an hour.  

News Comments > etc.
93. Re: etc. Oct 17, 2014, 12:15 Verno

UHD wrote on Oct 17, 2014, 11:58:
Not to nitpick but the fact that video games are changing is in fact acknowledgement that they need to change. It's inevitable as the culture shifts. It's why you won't see a movie like Blazing Saddles made today. Sexism is a loaded subject and people get super emotional over it, whether it's warranted or not. It's complex, and probably not something worth tackling in a limited medium like video games. Again though, can't fault anyone for trying, only in how they go about it.

Need to change as in "oh my god the urgency, we need to do this now! You people are awful blahblahblah" is what I meant. I can absolutely fault people for trying when they go about it in a way that I don't feel is honest or representative.

I haven't played Mirror's Edge (it's one of those games I got on sale via Steam and then promptly never played it) but I was under the impression it tanked because it wasn't a very good game.

Insert any other perceived female driven game there, it was just 2 random examples off the top of my head. Since you mentioned it though, its an above average game that was hampered by some mid-to late game design issues.

News Comments > etc.
91. Re: etc. Oct 17, 2014, 10:49 Verno

sdgundamx wrote on Oct 17, 2014, 10:13:
But what about the premise that the representation of women, gays, and non-Caucasian ethnicities in games needs to change? Or how about the premise that how women, gays, and non-Caucasian ethnicities are treated in the industry needs to change? How about the premise of how women, gays, and non-Caucasian ethnicities are treated in various game lobbies or in-game chats needs to change?

I don't grant those premises to be blunt or at least not all of them. If anything I think racial representation is more of a problem than anything else but even that is changing already. I don't think anything "needs to change", I think change is natural in this circumstance and we are seeing more and more games like that as the audience for them appears. This is a business and if there is a need it will be filled.

agree with you that the nebulous idea of "changing gaming" can't possibly go anywhere. But certainly there are specific areas of gaming that can be improved? I used to think just ignoring the people who were causing problems was the way to deal with the situation but given everything that's happened lately I've come to the conclusion that these people see silence on the issue from moderate gamers as tacit agreement for what they're doing.

The trouble with "oh well we just want X improved" is that its usually accompanied by a demand that others do so and that you're "against women" if you don't agree with it which is again, the problem many of us have had from the beginning here. I can think that there is sexism in gaming but not agree that its a significant problem at this point in time, that doesn't make me some horrible person who hates women. I think there is a lot of sexist media that is not in mens favor *gasp* but I'm not going to get all MRA about it.

You can't solve human nature, there will always be people causing problems. Making sweeping generalizations and lumping everyone together and telling people that they have to act otherwise they're being complicit is just as asinine as the guy screaming on Xbox Live to me. And again, this is a "problem" that is solving itself over time, there is no crisis here. All women need to do to effect the changes they want is buy products and I don't accept that the industry is creating products that only appeal to men, I think there is a lot of variety out there across the many platforms and devices for all demographics. All of the social commentary in the world makes no difference if GTA sells 35 million copies and Mirrors Edge can't even sustain a profit.

News Comments > etc.
88. Re: etc. Oct 17, 2014, 09:20 Verno

Prez wrote on Oct 17, 2014, 03:06:
I think you are correct; but how many times do outsiders who criticize gaming do so out of ignorance because they never took the time to learn about them and the culture? Fox News anyone? The reason I criticize Sarkeesian for this is that she misrepresented her reasons for making the videos; she claimed she was a gamer when she wasn't, then went on to use misrepresentations, half-truths, and outright lies as evidence of gaming's supposed inherent misogyny.

I think a lot of people approach this with a personal moral stance and then just interpret everything to fit that narrow view. I don't hear a lot of women acknowledging how geared toward them many aspects of media are now. Men and women enjoy a lot of different kinds of entertainment because we're not the same and while equality is a lofty goal, it is a bit naive when you look at society as a whole. Is it wrong that gaming as a hobby that is mostly enjoyed by men (in the AAA market) is geared towards entertaining men? I don't decry modern television networks for unrealistic depictions of men and not being fair to mens issues. If ABC only wants to air ridiculous womens stuff then I change the channel.

I think gaming is very forward in this regard and doesn't get credit from people like her who just choose to approach from an angle instead of considering the whole picture. I don't have a problem with a game like Grand Theft Auto depicting horrible people (men and women) so as long there are games where that isn't the case. In terms of the community itself it's really hard to make generalizations about it, each one is so different. I find Xbox Live to be a cesspool so if that was my sole exposure to gaming then I'm sure I would share her opinion but I've also found many other great servers and communities where bigotry, racism and sexism is not tolerated.

I find the whole premise that gaming needs to change is very flawed, I think gaming has been changing for a long time already. Some people just want things done their way and are trying to force others to adopt their strict views without discussion. That has been my problem with this whole thing from the beginning.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
6. Re: Evening Safety Dance Oct 17, 2014, 08:58 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 23:02:
Just a few friendly reminders on why we need privacy.

1. Why 'I have nothing to hide' is the wrong way to think about surveillance.

2. You break the law every day. It's estimated the average American commits three felonies per day without knowing. And those are just Federal laws. If all that is recorded, it can be held against you to control you.

3. Never talk to the police. This quite entertaining video should be seen by everyone. Here's an article that covers similar points if you don't want to watch.

There's a good TED from Glenn Greenwald all about this. He pretty much destroys any argument about privacy not being important.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2014, 16:08 Verno

Cutter wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 15:55:
Dammit I almost had a perfect week last week except for the Seahawks game and somehow I missed picking the Bengels game entirely - I've done that three times now - which I would have picked.

Yeah a few times I changed something I forgot to hit "Submit my picks" at the bottom. Sometimes it does save them even if you don't click it which is the weird thing. That nailed me a few times before as well or at least its a good excuse

News Comments > Morning Patches
3. Re: Morning Patches Oct 16, 2014, 14:21 Verno

Hahaha sonofabitch it figures I finally finish Wasteland 2 and they fix California like 2 days later. That place was busted like a pinata, I had to redo quests several times and at one point had like 10-15 saves going due to all of the broken triggers and other nonsense.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
44. Re: etc., etc. Oct 16, 2014, 11:09 Verno

sdgundamx wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 10:53:
I'm just gonna take a guess that you don't have much experience with formal debate? Because that's exactly what it is like. Each side is given a limited amount of time to talk and try to convince the audience of their position. It's not a dialogue in any sense, although sometimes one team will refer to what the other team said earlier in order to provide a rebuttal.

I've observed a few but not much experience personally beyond that. This isn't a formal debate though, I didn't see anyone pick a format, theres no speaker or moderator and so on. This is effectively a set of youtube videos and a press filter. It's also not equal or representative, I'm sure there are many videos rebutting her material but most of them don't get picked up by a biased press. I have no idea why someone is toting thunderf00t but I am not that person, just like the people responsible for doxxing and censorship against GG hopefully aren't representative of that whole "movement".

But I also think people feel the industry is playing catchup and not moving fast enough to make more titles like that.

I disagree. When you look at the significant gap in sales demographics for AAA games I think if anything the industry is a bit ahead of the curve. Men and women buy different kinds of games because we have different taste. I don't think the industry needs to go out of its way to do anything, its all happening naturally and if there is a market there then publishers will fill it, they care about money not gender politics. I want women to buy more games with strong female leads but many of them are simply interested in more casual fare and that's not anyones fault. I don't think forcefully making games suit an agenda that isn't part of the teams original creative vision is a solution to that problem either. Whenever its done in other formats (movies and tv for example), that sort of blatant pandering can even result in reinforcing dumb gender stereotypes.

As far as the Hitman thing goes--cherry-picking works both ways. I see that example called out to death but no one ever tries to defeat the rest of her argument. In a real debate, rebutting one example from the opposing team in no way wins you the entire debate yet a lot of people seem to think that "Oh, she cherry picked this example" means "We won! GG!"

I'm sure there are others, I know Jerykk and a few other posters made detailed lists but I can only speak for the videos I personally watched. Since I know you'll ask, you can click on his username and type "Anita" into the search box

22. Re: etc., etc. Oct 16, 2014, 10:50 Verno

Click on his username and you get a complete history of his posts. I would just ask him in a thread next time it comes up though.

And what went on at reddit was not reasonable at all IMO. Instead of moderating a few specific users entire sub reddits and topics were being nuked by people with personal ties to Zoe Quinn. That's without going into what went with twitter and youtube too. Anyways all of this well trodden ground and the "conversation" moved on awhile ago to be about broader issues that people can't resolve amicably because both sides are just interested in one view point.

41. Re: etc., etc. Oct 16, 2014, 10:24 Verno

Except talking at people is not debating. Who is she debating exactly? I've never had a chance to challenge this argument in a proper format, so why should I treat it as such? I don't think shes interested in actual debate, shes interested in presenting one sided scenarios without considering reasoned responses. I've watched a few of her videos and just had to shake my head at her conclusions. I was also annoyed that she cherry picks examples to make her point without considering alternatives (her take on Hitman for example).

I don't really see that she or anyone else has painted a convincing picture that there is some gender crisis in gaming that needs resolution either. I think gaming is probably one hobby that doesn't get the credit it deserves for being forward in this regard. Despite the massive gap in gender representation in AAA games for example, we're seeing increasing numbers of female protagonists and strong female roles.

20. Re: etc., etc. Oct 16, 2014, 10:14 Verno

sdgundamx wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 10:10:
I dislike the implication that I wouldn't change my mind if you present credible information. I already told you I would. I'll take a look at it. I've seen the 8chan stuff firsthand, so if it's on that level you've convinced me.

I didn't make that implication, I was just saying he has a lot more info than you will have time to read it Like literally he has hundreds of images, posts, etc.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2014, 10:09 Verno

I have a Fitbit somewhere in a closet that you're welcome to if you want it. I have no use for the thing anymore. They are kind of cool for awhile but you get bored of it eventually even with the badges and other silliness. My girlfriend bought it for me and I used it religiously for a year and then discovered it really made no difference to my cardio since its mostly hiking or climbing. The sleep analysis functionality in those things and phone apps really just use your movement in bed and its no substitute for an actual sleep study at a clinic so I wouldn't put any credence in it. Anyways send me a PM if interested, I can probably ship it to a PO box or whatever for $5, its pretty tiny. I don't have the original box anymore but I do have the USB charge thing and the belt clip.

You're probably just fine with a phone app for pedometer stuff though, it might not be as accurate but I'm sure its pretty close.

18. Re: etc., etc. Oct 16, 2014, 09:39 Verno

I think it's well documented that has happened on the opposite side, ask ASeven, he has a literal mountain of information, more than you will likely ever want to read. It's been posted in most of these threads over time as well and on some GG related sites.

Both sides have made coordinated efforts and I would note that GG didn't have the kind of coordinated media support we're seeing from the anti-GG folks (for lack of a better term).

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
23. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 16, 2014, 09:28 Verno

Man Prez, you have missed out on a lot of quality TV but I envy you in a way, you have a massive back catalog of the best stuff to keep you going for awhile. When Boardwalk Empire ends I'm kind of between things, a lot of "okay" stuff but nothing I love like those shows.  

16301 Comments. 816 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo