Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 16301 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Interviews
30. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 23, 2014, 15:13 Verno

UHD wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 15:02:
The only reason I bring it up at all is there's a lot of "well they're doing it too, fancy that hmmmmmmmmm" going around and while I'm sure it's satisfying to say it doesn't really do much other than that.

They don't have to prove anything. Again, those sorts of comments are intended to show when the media is being one sided, they can go to credibility depending on the context or to force others to examine where they're coming from in the first place. In this case though its more of a "so what" to an exasperating story with little information.

As for Twitter, its only real use is bugging corporations who ignore email IMO

While I agree with you, it doesn't necessarily apply to this twitter drama

In a situation with completely anonymous sources, no official info and very vague assertions without any actual links or documentation I think its fair game. It's not like there is much else to discuss. "Some random people harassed some anonymous person on twitter, she thinks its because of this situation." ok then.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 2014, 15:28.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 23, 2014, 14:12 Verno

UHD wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 14:01:
You still have not addressed the original issue.

That's why it's fallacious; because it doesn't refute a point, merely deflects the criticism.

It's not fallacious if it goes toward factual statements or credibility as I said already. Not every statement has to refute another either, pointing out hypocrisy is often used to force others to direct their own views internally.

This story is too vague to really decide whats what anyway.

20. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 23, 2014, 13:34 Verno

UHD wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 12:17:
The thing about calling out a hypocrite is that it doesn't actually refute the point. You're not denying anything nor are you successfully justifying anything by calling someone out on hypocrisy.

Nonsense, peoples backgrounds and motives are often just as important as what they're saying. We see this in many other areas of society too - public discourse, legal issues, financial markets, etc. Being hypocritical can often totally negate a point to those you're trying to reach, particularly when it relates to factual statements or credibility.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2014, 11:52 Verno

PropheT wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 11:36:
I was one of the only weirdos on earth that didn't really care for the Avengers I think, so I wasn't all that hyped for the sequel... but good lard that Age of Ultron trailer is incredible.

You're not alone, I thought it was kinda average at best. It had good moments but a lot of filler and bullshit too. The Honest Trailers for that movie is spot on with its bad and good points. I'm not a fan of the PG13 generic superhero films in general though to be honest, they're like a lite beer in film format.

News Comments > John Riccitiello New Unity CEO
14. Re: John Riccitiello New Unity CEO Oct 23, 2014, 10:58 Verno

NKD wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 19:27:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 16:22:
The first step in EA acquiring Unity.

Also, how can Unity afford this guy? Maybe he's taking a massive pay cut because it's a passion project for him? Something doesn't add up here.

John used to be CEO of Sara Lee, you know, the people who make those desserts. Maybe Sara Lee is going to buy Unity. CONSPIRACCYYY!!!!

Future Sara Lee desserts to be distributed in DLC format.

4. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 23, 2014, 10:53 Verno

NKD wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 10:52:
I've been receiving death threats from dickless shits on the Internet since at least 1999. (It was fairly peaceful before then) Where's the article about me?

It doesn't count if you're a man because men can't fear for their safety. No such thing as violence between men, stop being ridiculous.

2. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 23, 2014, 10:46 Verno

Someone threatened to kill me last night in 7 Days to Die. I caved in their head with a stone axe.

In the game of course

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2014, 09:52 Verno

Worked fine on my 970 with express install through GeForce Experience last night. I was playing around with DSR last night a bit, pretty crazy stuff.  

News Comments > Metallica to Close BlizzCon
34. Re: Metallica to Close BlizzCon Oct 22, 2014, 16:02 Verno

This time if I get banned for speaking my mind here while everyone else gets off free, I will talk to my lawyer about it. You people need to start paying a price for your ignorance.

An actual LibertyOrDeath quote, nuff said.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
11. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 22, 2014, 14:55 Verno

UHD wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 14:39:
There's a market for both, it's just unfortunate that Android as a whole is trending bigger and bigger. There aren't a whole lot of (new) small phones to choose from if that's your platform of choice.

Exactly. Even a 5" phone is a bit unwieldy at times, I really don't want a 6" phone being standard but Android handset makers love to chase the high end for the big margins so everything must be huge now. "The market" might want such things but I don't really give a shit, the market is full of popular products that end up being bad ideas in the long term.

Oh well I'll keep rocking my old Nexus for as long as possible.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2014, 12:46 Verno

Creston wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 12:10:
Verno wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 11:11:
He has some thinly veiled rape/torture fantasies that are frankly disturbing.

Eh... :-shrug-: The sex typically makes up two pages in an 800 page book, so I'm not that worried about it.

Speaking of Banks, what are considered to be his best novels?

InBlack likes Bakker anyway so I doubt he will have an issue with Hamilton. I don't dislike Hamilton but he clearly has issues and some of that shit is just bizarre. A good entry novel for Banks is Player of Games. My favorite Banks books are Use of Weapons and Matter. Every book in the Culture series is effectively standalone so you can sort of pick up anywhere. Consider Phlebas is the first but also his weakest book in my opinion. Banks had a much more cerebral writing style at times so it can take some adjustment if people are used to more mainstream authors. He also write a fair bit of non-scifi stuff. Still can't believe hes gone, one of my favorite authors

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2014, 11:11 Verno

I never read any of Peter Hamilton's books. How do they compare to say, Ian M. Banks?

He's written some good stuff but also some terrible schlock and a number of his books have made me uncomfortable. He has some thinly veiled rape/torture fantasies that are frankly disturbing. I liked Banks a lot more, he was more consistent and when his books featured something like that it was used to great dramatic effect (the chair in Use of Weapons for example) rather than seeming like a weird fetishism of the author.

Hamilton writes better characters, that was never a Banks strength. Banks wrote more interesting societies and better futuristic worldbuilding in my opinion. Both are worth reading for different reasons. Hamiltons early works are a lot easier to get into than Banks I've found. Player of Games (Banks) was good but flawed, Use of Weapons was where he really started hitting his stride.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2014, 11:36.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 22, 2014, 09:42 Verno

I can't say I'm a fan of Nexus devices with Apple prices, the make and build quality just isn't there by comparison. It was nice to have an affordable option that wasn't carrier subsidized too.  

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
24. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Oct 22, 2014, 09:05 Verno

Yeesh that is some truly shitty voice acting. I went on Youtube and there is some dumb promo thing with Freddie Prinze Jr and people in the Youtube comments (likely EA employees) are praising the voice work! Unbelievable. A random schmoe off the street would do a better job.

Everything I've read and seen on this game points to better gameplay than DA2 but a shittier story and characters.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
28. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 21, 2014, 13:29 Verno

Prez wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 03:36:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 22:27:
NKD wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 22:07:
I propose that we create a new rule. If a comment thread has an article related to GamerGate in it, we talk about something else like hockey or TV shows we're watching....

Hey, not a bad idea. Let me one up you:

If a comment thread has an article related to GamerGate in it, we talk about Star Citizen. Yes? Yes? YES!

Okay. I find Star Citizen to be sexist because you can target and destroy only female pilots. You can do so without even developing any meaningful relationship with them! AND you can ask them for sex over voice chat while doing it!!! That is horrible and someone needs to do a video on it post haste!

How'd I do?

You're practically raping people with those harassing comments, they don't feel safe anymore!!!!

News Comments > Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition Dropping GFWL for Steam
4. Re: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition Dropping GFWL for Steam Oct 21, 2014, 10:03 Verno

Darks wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 09:47:
Verno wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 09:15:
That's awesome, the first game still has a pretty large community and is a blast to play.

Verno, did you play this game with a keyboard or a game pad?

I tried to get into this game, but just cant get past the crappy slow controls. So, that has kind of killed this game for me.

Gamepad, its the type of game that doesn't work well with KB/M in my opinion although many others have done so and said they enjoyed it.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 21, 2014, 09:34 Verno

Yep exactly, Suppa nailed it. A lot of internet sellers are tacking on large shipping costs as a profit item. This is a real problem on ebay especially where some sellers try to list as low as possible to get the people sorting by cost and then add shipping charges sometimes more than the item itself.

There's also some stuff that you just have to try out in person. I never buy clothing online for example, I know all of my sizes but between different types of fittings and tailoring styles I always have to try things out in person.

News Comments > Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition Dropping GFWL for Steam
1. Re: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition Dropping GFWL for Steam Oct 21, 2014, 09:15 Verno

That's awesome, the first game still has a pretty large community and is a blast to play.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
21. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 21, 2014, 09:07 Verno

Ironically many of those codec packs have been sources of malware over the years and there are also pretty unnecessary. There are several lightweight players with pretty much every codec under the sun already integrated.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Oct 21, 2014, 09:05 Verno

Sounds like a distant relative of Phil Fish.  

16301 Comments. 816 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo