Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 17526 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2015, 11:24 Verno

Assuming you didn't already, run a traceroute next time to help narrow down where the problem is. Could just be routing related.  
Playing: Dark Souls 2: Scholars of the First Sin
Watching: Mr. Robot
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Scrolls Closing
45. Re: Scrolls Closing Jun 30, 2015, 10:20 Verno

They had practically no software for it, I'm not sure you can really call that support. Kinect was half baked, a solid idea that couldn't find a decent implementation and the third party market wasn't about to absorb that risk when even Microsoft wasn't committed to it.

As for Scrolls does anyone really care? I wonder how many people here actually played it as opposed to just wanting to give Microsoft a tongue lashing.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 30, 2015, 10:00 Verno

I would rather have a new story in that universe, I hope they don't revisit Joel and Elly.  

News Comments > Battlefield 2143 Images?
39. Re: Battlefield 2143 Images? Jun 30, 2015, 09:59 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 04:28:
My point is that it doesn't matter that they shut down the BF42 servers. You still have a myriad of choices if you want to play: vs. bots alone, vs. bots coop, multiplayer over LAN, host your own server, etc. etc. The newer BF games don't allow any of those options. Once they shut off the servers, that's it basically.

They don't want you to have any options. Your only option now is battlelog and they can sunset whatever they want. There's no real compelling reason for this design methodology either, they could still do everything they're doing with unlocks and stats while maintaining public auth servers but they choose not to. EA has an established history of prematurely sunsetting software too so there is no reasonable defense here.

36. Re: Battlefield 2143 Images? Jun 30, 2015, 09:40 Verno

Sepharo wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 01:10:
Believe me, anyone reading this (especially this post right here) is going to think you're the crazy one.

Learned that long ago, not sure why you guys keep wasting time with this lunacy. Why give this kind of person exactly what they want which is a captive audience? It's so samey and boring anyway, just takes opposition stances on everything to annoy people and spew volumes of nonsense.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 30, 2015, 09:36 Verno

I've heard everything from Samsung to Facebook to now Microsoft wants to buy AMD.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
30. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2015, 15:44 Verno

Chicken and egg. They are doing it because they know its dangerous but they don't know it can cause a crash? That's really...weak. I would buy that argument for kids, not a 26 year old guy who repeated his efforts at a second target.

14 years is nothing for what he was doing. When the potential for death and destruction are that high so are the consequences.

News Comments > Steam Hardware Early Preorders Sold Out
6. Re: Steam Hardware Early Preorders Sold Out Jun 29, 2015, 15:15 Verno

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 15:06:
Did anyone here actually order one of these?

I picked up a Steam Link to replace an old HTPC in the basement and a controller to fart around with.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2015, 10:50 Verno

I never really cared for the books that much. Tolkien was a great world builder but the writing itself put me to sleep.  

News Comments > EVE Online Slump?
6. Re: EVE Online Slump? Jun 29, 2015, 10:49 Verno

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 10:09:
#6.
Sovereignty is horribly busted and the Goons (Now called "The Imperium) have taken over all of eve and stomp out everyone who tried to oppose them.

Bwahaha SA for life. Can't believe Goonswarm is still going all these years later.

21. Re: Battlefield 2143 Images? Jun 29, 2015, 09:28 Verno

I'd welcome it but I suspect the newcomers to the BF community who are into CoD style FPS games will not be so patient.  

News Comments > GMG Arkham Knight Refunds
42. Re: GMG Arkham Knight Refunds Jun 26, 2015, 14:53 Verno

I got in touch with Newegg who agreed to send it up the chain to see what happens. I suspect they might just credit my account for $50 or something though. Worth a shot anyway, I can live without playing this for awhile.  

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Analysis
17. Re: Steam Summer Sale Analysis Jun 26, 2015, 14:22 Verno

HoSpanky wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 14:07:
ARK is feature-complete enough, and stable enough, that if they never finish it, I'll be happy with what they've got out now. Except that's not what's happening; there's at least a patch a day (making running a server a pain in the ass). They're adding content at a nearly impossible pace, fixing weird issues and adding community-requested features all over the place. The only thing wrong so far is framerate, it requires some pretty beefy hardware to run KIND OF smoothly. You won't get 60/1080p out of it no matter what you throw at it, but you can probably squeeze 40 out. Unlike most EA games, you can SEE where the performance went.

Anyway, point is, it's earning that 10million. It's a fun, if slower paced, game to play with your friends. Planning excursions to start at dawn so you can get back safely before night, with a few resource-laden dinos in tow, is a neat change of pace. Night still comes on too fast, by the time the sun looks like it's setting, you have approximately 30 seconds before nightfall. You do NOT want to be out at night, as you can EITHER carry a torch, or a weapon. Not like a weapon's going to help when you hear trees falling and a bellow...those moments are truly terrifying and awesome. We have our own PvE server going, as the douchebaggery going on the public pvp servers is more than we want to deal with. The various dinos are providing JUST the right amount of failure-to-success for an enjoyable way to spend an evening.

Thanks the write up, it sounds pretty cool. I swore off early access awhile ago but that does sound pretty tempting. I wonder if they will hit their release target next year.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Analysis
13. Re: Steam Summer Sale Analysis Jun 26, 2015, 14:01 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 13:30:
Esoteric wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 11:11:
Yeah, because they're horrible games and no one likes playing them.

He means because these games are out for what seems eternity now. Either way, imo this was one of the worst sales in quite a while, nothing I wanted was properly flagged down in price.... I bought Waveform... for the value of a good trading card sale (19ct).. and aside that I hoard money and have nothing to spend it on...

Usually with such sales in the past I found at least 2 or 3 gems... but this time it was just depressing.

I don't know, I thought it was a fine sale as usual. I think a lot of people just under estimate how much they over stuffed their gaming library. Newer EA games aren't on Steam anymore either so that removes a big chunk of potential titles. I have a large back log and still found 3 games to buy. There were very respectable sales on pretty much everything I've purchased in the past too.

CS:GO is insanely popular, the franchise has attracted the youth demographic again somehow all these years later. L4D2 is still played a fair bit and goes on deep sales.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Jun 26, 2015, 12:54 Verno

I don't preorder games anymore at all, its never really worth it. The odd time you get a great game for a bit cheaper doesn't balance out vs the disappointing ones where you would've saved more not getting it at all.

If other people want to then fair enough, their money. I won't do it though.

I don't really see the point of a preorder when all my games come from Steam - it's not like I need a CD/DVD anymore. Plus the backlog on my games library is kind of big.

Yeah that too. I'm usually working on a months long backlog as it is.

News Comments > GMG Arkham Knight Refunds
40. Re: GMG Arkham Knight Refunds Jun 26, 2015, 11:34 Verno

I wonder if I can get a different promo redemption, at this point there's a few other games I would rather have. Heck even AC: Unity must be fixed up by now

News Comments > Arkham Knight PC Fixes Prioritized
10. Re: Arkham Knight PC Fixed Prioritized Jun 26, 2015, 10:47 Verno

Darks wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 10:19:
you are joking right? That DRM continually reads and writes to your hard drive. its also been know to cause issues with SSD drives to shut down because of the constant read and writes.

No, that was just some assumptions people made about Lords of the Fallen and Dragon Age Inquisition which were later disproved. It was the internet freaking out at one dudes posted results which were likely as related to caching as anything else. Denuvo is just a simple executable wrapper. Your file copy comparison is not apt, the workloads are totally dissimilar and it wouldn't explain SSD users having the same problems. I actually tested this out myself with Dragon Age Inquisition which used Denuvo, I was concerned about my 1TB SSD. I found that it only made a series of very small writes at the initial load and some small reads during play. Even if those were amplified several times over and distributed throughout runtime it wouldn't explain the performance problems here.

DRM is an easy culprit but Denuvo is relatively benign and not to blame here. It's just a poorly optimized port. Thankfully we're not seeing as many of these we used to and refund systems are letting consumers direct their response in a way publishers understand.

News Comments > Arkham Knight PC Fixes Prioritized
3. Re: Arkham Knight PC Fixed Prioritized Jun 26, 2015, 09:35 Verno

As much as I dislike DRM, Denuvo has never been really linked to any performance problems in games, its just randomized executable encryption. The performance issues are just shoddy porting and a lack of optimization. This one is totally on them and WBIE.

I do think they took the right approach here after their screw up and its good that they are prioritizing fixes now.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight PC Sales Suspended
29. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight PC Sales Suspended Jun 26, 2015, 09:06 Verno

The PC market is having insane growth with the 13-21 crowd again so publishers aren't going to ignore it. I can't believe some of the reactions here, this isn't air or water folks. If they don't ship a PC version then you *gasp* buy something else, other vendors want your money just as badly. It's on them to release a decent product, its not on the community to tolerate shitty behavior just for scraps and sloppy seconds.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
28. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 26, 2015, 09:03 Verno

The little kid in this case was 26 years old and had a long criminal history. He did it intentionally to two different helicopter pilots. Not sure what other intent there can be when you shine a high powered laser at a cockpit, it's not like (most) people don't know its dangerous.  

17526 Comments. 877 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo