Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 14971 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims
38. Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 13:53 Verno

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 13:51:
I've heard people were using that smart pistol with the cloak ability combined to sneak up on other players, but like you said even cloaked players can be seen, I've shot many of them.

I didn't find the flow of the game very conducive to sneaking anyway, you're better off setting up ambushes with wallhangs and stuff like that. The time to kill between players is already very high so the smart pistol is a non-factor most of the time, you just use it to farm bots or better yet not at all

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 13:42 Verno

Seventyfive wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 12:43:
Not sure how well you were scoring on the leaderboard per game but if you think the grunts are useless and the titans boring, I'm guessing not very high.

Haha what a fucking dumb comment, not going to even bother with this brand boy nonsense.

That is essentially all the AI was meant to be. Think of Titanfall as an FPS MOBA-lite.

You have to play Hardpoint to actually realize this though. When you play Hardpoint, they can capture the points (Just as a moba mob can attack/destroy a tower) so there is reason to actually kill a squad of them headed to one of your points. As well as the fact that killing them takes time off of your Titanfall timer (equivalent to getting gold in DOTA/LoL to get better gear)

I get what they were shooting for as my initial comment about the MOBA part says, I just didn't care for the implementation. If the beta had been longer I would have had more time to check things out and re-evaluate based on your comments but they already closed it so *shrug*. I will buy this at some point down the line when its cheaper, I've already got a few MP games going anyway. I actually enjoyed the more traditional aspects of the game more than the Titans.

Player count wasn't an issue for me but I only saw the few beta maps.

This comment was edited on Feb 20, 2014, 13:51.

25. Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 12:29 Verno

Creston wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 11:56:
It's very possible that the game simply IS this good. I haven't played it, so I can't judge it. The videos make it look pretty decent, if also fairly standard pew pew pew hitscan multiplayer fare.

It's really just average to good IMO, some people here are playing it up way too much. I logged 20ish hours with the beta and thought the movement and general flow of the game is excellent but the hitscan weaponry is all samey, the AI grunts are a waste of space and I thought the Titans themselves were extremely boring to use.

I only saw the 2 beta levels so maybe there are better maps that would bring it up but it would be a low 80s game for me at best. Graphically its quite dated too and there are a noticeable lack of physics, deformation and other modern design aspects. Two titans battling might as well be a transformers cartoon knockoff, there is no external feedback or environmental impact. Someone on another forum likened it to characters fighting with nerf guns and that is pretty apt IMO. The game is at its strongest when you're just cruising around with the well implemented parkour elements and fighting actual people, not AI grunts or titans. Also using "AI" to describe what they have in that game is too generous, my coffeemaker has stronger AI. They are literally the dumbest bots I have ever seen in any game and they don't even work if you try to think of them as MOBA style fodder.

So yeah it's not a bad game at all and a decent exclusive for Microsoft to hang its hat on but it's not the OMG 95+ Metacritic circlejerk that you know is coming.

11. Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 09:45 Verno

I don't know, Titanfall didn't feel like a mech game to me. Maybe mech-lite. No deformation, really poor destruction decals, battles between them felt cartoony and fleeting. It was ok but I didn't really get all of the hoopla about that game. I had more fun ground pounding with wallrunning and double jumps.  

News Comments > Square Enix on More PC FINAL FANTASY
1. Re: Square Enix on More PC FINAL FANTASY Feb 20, 2014, 09:22 Verno

I had to laugh the other day when this guy claimed it would take them 10 years to remake FF7. Maybe if half of your company wasn't producing mountains of art assets you'll never use you could finish it sooner.

News Comments > Line of Defense Tactics Demo
18. Re: Line of Defense Tactics Demo Feb 20, 2014, 09:13 Verno

PHJF wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 20:32:
I don't understand why Valve gives developers carte blanche with THE STEAM forums. There's been a glut of shovelware lately and repeated attempts by their respective developers to quash any criticism. This kind of shit is going to devalue Steam in a big way.

Yeah I tend to agree. I only assume they do it because they don't want to pay some guy a bunch of money to police forums all day. I've seen several indie projects especially where the devs have been very hostile to bug reports and perceived criticisms.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2014, 09:10 Verno

I woke up this morning and the rain had dropped the snow banks in our yard by a good 10+ inches. They were getting pretty scary, I had to use a friends tractor to clear some of the ice packed ones last week because my fancy new truck/plow couldn't put a dent in them. Money well spent  

3. Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 08:48 Verno

Just like Polygon only took a Microsoft donation for their documentary. This game was practically sainted by the press within hours of E3, obviously there is some moneyhatting going on here.  

News Comments > Reminder: Diablo III Auctions End Next Month
8. Re: Reminder: Diablo III Auctions End Next Month Feb 19, 2014, 12:25 Verno

descender wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 12:13:
The only thing that ruined this game for people was nostalgia.

D2 wasn't actually any more fun that D3 is. Considerably less, actually.

The arbiter of worldwide enjoyment has spoken

I had fun with Diablo 2 but it wasn't my favorite all time game or something. Diablo 3 had plenty of things it did better than Diablo 2 but also many it did considerably worse and for me it was the latter that ended up making it an unsatisfying experience.

I think a large part of that was their overall design direction from Wilson though so I'm hopeful for Reaper of Souls.

News Comments > Sons of Anarchy Game Plans Redux
8. Re: Sons of Anarchy Game Plans Redux Feb 19, 2014, 09:41 Verno

harlock wrote on Feb 12, 2014, 11:19:
it was really bad for a while but last season picked back up fairly well... lots of main characters getting killed and being complicated and so forth

After the umpteenth plot macguffin to keep Perlmans character around I just got tired of the show spinning its wheels. Very promising first few seasons but too much filler and nonsense (lol baby kidnapping).

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Banished
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Banished Feb 19, 2014, 09:27 Verno

A friend of mine had nothing but good things to say about this but I'm just drowning in my backlog  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2014, 09:26 Verno

I don't envy Frans trying to get Chatbear and all that ancient stuff installed on a modern system. We're running ZFS at work and that filesystem is just beyond impressive in terms of redundancy and features.  

News Comments > New NVIDIA WHQL Drivers
8. Re: New NVIDIA WHQL Drivers Feb 19, 2014, 09:23 Verno

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 08:51:
Verno wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 08:48:
Shadowplay is really impressive, I've been taking clips of BF gameplay lately and its just handy as hell.
It sure is and I think it is a lot less resource hungry then Fraps is/was.

Yeah exactly, it's hardware accelerated H.264 so I don't even notice any performance loss. It beats the shit out of FRAPS/etc. I can take high bitrate full game resolution videos with mic piped in for $0.00. I can't believe a year ago I had to pay $40 for the same thing.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 19, 2014, 09:21 Verno

I'm cautiously optimistic on it. Infamous 1 & 2 were fun but flawed games with often rage inducing difficulty spikes. I hope that they toned down the bullet hell enemy AI and tweaked the controls, the clumsy cover and traversal was annoying in the middle of combat.  

News Comments > New NVIDIA WHQL Drivers
6. Re: New NVIDIA WHQL Drivers Feb 19, 2014, 08:48 Verno

Shadowplay is really impressive, I've been taking clips of BF gameplay lately and its just handy as hell.  

News Comments > Titanfall Closed Beta Begins Friday
7. Re: Titanfall Closed Beta Begins Friday Feb 12, 2014, 10:55 Verno

If more players doesn't mean more fun then I don't see how people are rationalizing the AI bots that take their place. People say the AI is horrible too, I hope to get into the beta and observe first hand though.  

News Comments > EA: Battlefield 4 "Exceedingly Successful;" Complaints Are "Noise"
10. Re: EA: Battlefield 4 Feb 12, 2014, 10:28 Verno

Brace yourselves. The "FIX THE NETCODE!" comments are coming.

Of course they're coming, there are fundamental problems with some aspects of the gunplay. This is readily apparent even in just a simple comparison of BF3 to BF4 and has been documented in numerous videos. I can't count the number of times I've been killed by a guy who is staring at a wall, kill traded with another player or etc. People get that multiplayer FPS design is complicated and that hiding latency is never a perfect science but there are issues to be fixed here and it is certainly a step back from BF3 in this area despite improvements in many others.

News Comments > EA: Battlefield 4 "Exceedingly Successful;" Complaints Are "Noise"
7. Re: EA: Battlefield 4 Feb 12, 2014, 10:24 Verno

I think my problem with the Battlefield franchise is that development is supposed to be iterative. Developers are supposed to learn from their mistakes and subsequent games in a franchise shouldn't have earlier problems. BF4 is a case study in how Dice never seems to learn from its mistakes.

Gunplay in BF3 was good and yet somehow they have regressed in this "sequel". Balance tweaks from the prior game are undone then repeated for no seeming reason. Map design is all over the place again and it takes months to get older maps that were proven back into the game, if they appear at all. The sheer amount of bugs and other silliness is astounding, some of them were game breaking and others very minor but stupidly overlooked. One of the same joystick bugs from BF3 is still around in BF4. A lot of these things get pointed out in the worlds most pointless beta process I've ever participated in, only to be told "its fixed in a newer build". Then later on you discover that no it wasn't fixed.

They launched this game 8 months too early and that's being generous. Now that the PC version is mostly fixed up its a fun game, balance and other issues aside. It's just frustrating that we seem to do this whole song and dance every time. Why aren't they building on what they have? We don't need to reinvent the wheel every time and in many ways BF4 isn't a drastic departure from BF3 so it begs the question why it has so many more problems.

I like Battlefield because there isn't really anything else like it on the market but its a frustrating experience at times and that's without going into how the community for the game continues to degrade.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2014, 10:29.

News Comments > Scant State of Decay Expansion Details
2. Re: Scant State of Decay Expansion Details Feb 12, 2014, 09:54 Verno

Agreed. I didn't care for the 360 version much but when I got the PC version and started modding it I had a blast.  

News Comments > Sons of Anarchy Game Plans Redux
1. Re: Sons of Anarchy Game Plans Redux Feb 12, 2014, 09:54 Verno

Sutter has a history of bullshit and SOA has been garbage for awhile now so I can't say I care much about this.  

14971 Comments. 749 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo