Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 16001 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B?
77. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 14:30 Verno

Bundy wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 14:21:
I'd argue that it is, if not more. Go to any grade school and ask for a raise of hands on who likes Minecraft and I bet nearly all those little hands go up. My kids, and all their little friends. They live and breathe this game..

We have a 6 year old and I have yet to encounter anyone (parent or child) playing or mention Minecraft around here. So yeah anecdotes and all that. Besides, the casual market is fickle and unpredictable, everyone loved Justin Bieber not too long ago.

To be honest as big as a cult hit as minecraft is. its extremely under developed due to its indi nature and one person army (now small team) it has the potential to get alot bigger.. and with a user base already in the 100 million range.. who knows how much bigger it can get... On February 25, 2014 the game reached 100 million registered users.

I don't know, I think an overbearing corporate parent and ceaseless monetization chain would hurt it over time but you're probably right that they could at least break even or make some money in the process. Still though I care a lot more about it will affect me as a gamer who plays Minecraft and I doubt it will be in any way positive, we have plenty of historical precedent of how Microsoft handles PC IP.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

73. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 14:05 Verno

Creston wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 13:49:
My bad, I thought Fortnite was a PC/PS4 game.

Honestly it probably will show up on consoles at some point, too much money there to ignore it.

It's like Nintendo paying for Bayonetta exclusivity, it doesn't feel like a win for the system, it looks like a "fuck you, if you wanna play minecraft you gotta do it here! Hahaha!"

Nintendo saved Bayonetta dude. There would be no Bayonetta 2 without them, no one was willing to fund it. This is a totally different thing, just the usual Microsoft bull in a china shop routine. In the gaming industry they long ago stopped evolving, instead they just acquire and do a poor job of implementing what they buy.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
29. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2014, 13:36 Verno

Cutter wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 12:49:
There's nothing disturbing about it unless you're one of those unbalanced white-knighting assholes who think all the problems of humanity can be laid at the feet of men, and women are all pure and innocent as the driven snow. Why should women get a free pass if they're behaving like psycho bitches? Sorry pal, but it's a two way street. Everyone is accountable for their actions or no one is. Take your pick. I haven't seen one, not one media pundit call her actions into question. And why? Because then the pack will go off on him and call him a wife beater. It's like the moment anyone is critical of Israel's actions toward Palestine, all of a sudden he's a goose-stepping nazi.

You should really aim for a middle ground between "white knight asshole" and simply disagreeing with you.

There are many people who work jobs that deal with violence and the overwhelming majority manage to live their personal lives without resorting to the same, including other football players. People don't need to know anything about his life, they only need to know that he knocked a woman out (and dragged her unconscious into an elevator). There is no mitigating factor that explains that away and if there is it will be considered when hes sentenced in a court of law.

You want accountability for actions, fair enough but we're not dealing with similar levels of violence here. She was emotional and he was emotional, neither one of them dealt with it well but only one person physically rendered the other unconscious. He was obviously not affected nor defending himself. If she had done something that actually endangered him or physically hurt him then it would be a different conversation. Some lady swatted my shoulder at a store because she thought I cut in front of her at the lineup (when youre gone for 3 minutes youre officially out of the line lady). I didn't haul off and deck her or something. It would be a gross overreaction.

And before you accuse me of being a white knight, I've been all over the site recently against the biased feminist reporting going on in the media. There absolutely double standards in the press about gender issues but I don't think this is one of them.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 2014, 13:45.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 10, 2014, 12:59 Verno

I've bivouacked all over the place during hikes and climbs, you're never really comfortable. It is one of those things that sounds better in theory than it does in practice.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
16. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 10, 2014, 12:45 Verno

I like watches so I don't mind the concept of an apple watch but I just don't see myself wanting to charge one of these things. They will need to hit Kindle levels of battery longevity before I would bother, like one charge should last 2-4 weeks.  

22. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2014, 12:10 Verno

I wasn't trying to start an argument, I was just pointing out that the article was interesting but misses a few points IMO. I certainly don't think everyone should make every single meal fresh, I prepare many meals in advance to save time and money.

I think there are challenges for low income families but mothers shouldn't take it all on themselves, in our family cooking was something everyone got involved in. Likewise building up unrealistic expectations about food with your kids doesn't help either, its okay to have leftovers or repeated meals, particularly comfort foods.

Edit: Blue, seeing this as the top of the home page:

[Blammo! - an error occurred while processing this directive: Unable to open /data/www/bluesnews.com/inserts/amazon-boxes.html : No such file or directory]

And fixed

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 2014, 12:21.

56. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 11:59 Verno

Has anyone even considered the fact that Minecraft as a property is pretty much at Pokemon-level mass appeal and recognition at this point?

I don't think its anywhere near Pokemon levels of market penetration (~300 million vs what, 33 million?) though to be fair Pokemon isn't doing as well with the youth of today thanks to Nintendos odd marketing. It has a lot of youth appeal for sure but I'm not sure what kind of staying power its going to have over time which I think is a healthy question to ask in a multi-billion acquisition. I wouldn't have much faith in a Microsoft produced sequel to be honest but perhaps you're right that it would just sell on name alone regardless of quality. It certainly seems to work for EA at times.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2014, 11:48 Verno

PHJF wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 11:34:
Cooking from scratch can actually get stupid expensive. I've made relatively simple dishes that easily end up with a food cost rivaling the price of a meal at a restaurant. I use a simple salsa recipe (roma tomato, green onion, garlic, salt, lime juice, cilantro, hot sauce) that costs significantly more than simply buying a jar of Pace.

Sure I didn't mean literally everything, it depends on what you're making and the quantities. I can make plenty of meals for less than cost of restaurant food, I just have to make larger portions and freeze some. I also avoid eating absurd amounts of sodium this way. Of course some things will just always be cheaper store bought, I can't make a pizza cheaper than a store brand due to the price of cheese and meats I like on mine.

46. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 11:27 Verno

Alamar wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 11:26:
Nooooooo... We don't want consistency in our Minecraft mod support... Or a better UI... etc...

Microsoft is all about consistency and mod support on the PC gaming scene after all.

It is hard to think of a company I trust less to pull that off, it would be a real tight race between EA and Microsoft.

44. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 11:26 Verno

SimplyMonk wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 11:18:
Sure you have the IP at that point, but a large deal of the fan base would abandon ship if MS was at the helm same way they abandoned PopCap when EA took over. They'd also probably lose a good number of key personnel as they aren't really a pro-MS work culture.

Yep exactly. Plus let's not forget Microsoft has a horrible track record with this stuff anyway, they will find a way to fuck this up with corporate interference, ads, endless DLC, whatever. They lack the restraint of a company like Valve in monetizing their properties. 2 billion is a lot of money better spent elsewhere.

The Xbox is flailing but this is a bizarre reaction to that and I'm not sure it would even have any impact. Minecraft is already out for all platforms which is what matters at the moment.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2014, 11:10 Verno

The article on cooking is interesting but I feel like people in general (not working mothers alone) just make excuses for not eating well or don't make an effort to learn how. You can eat very cheap and still get fresh produce, you just have to make sacrifices on meal variety during the week. If you want to have something different at every single meal every day of the week then that is going to be pricey if you eat fresh. I cook my lunches for most of the week in a big batch and just change up the sides a bit to give it more variety. The woman raising her kids in a hotel room is heartbreaking but even then a little ingenuity goes a long way.

Eating well does not have to be expensive, time consuming or stressful. People get too caught up in trying to be inventive every single meal or worry about suiting everyones taste.

18. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 10:00 Verno

He can already retire many times over, Minecraft has made him a multi-millionaire though I'm sure becoming a billionaire is also pretty damned appealing. It's not really a question if its personally attractive to him because that kind of goes without saying. I'm more curious about why Microsoft would want to do this and whats going to happen to it afterward (nothing good).  

10. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 09:46 Verno

There's no defense of their track record on the PC, everything they touch turns to shit. FASA, Ensemble, various third party studios who made Microsoft IP, etc. This can only be a bad thing for Minecraft on the PC and probably any Sony platforms.  

4. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 09:25 Verno

Beyond the obvious dismay at seeing Microsoft acquire yet another PC-centric property to grind into dust, I have to question the business side of it as well. Minecraft is really impressive sales wise but has already realized a significant portion of its potential lifetime sales. Sure they could milk it with Minecraft-esque IP that shares the same name but that would only go for so long. The modding community would probably throw a shit fit over this too and its a big part of the reason Minecraft became as popular as it is today. Does anyone really see Mojang being a good fit for corporate Microsoft?

2 billion could go into funding new IP, new studios or etc. Mojang doesn't really seem to have any other IP worth speaking of. If you're going to go that big, why not look at acquiring Take-Two or something? At least then you've got 2 big franchises to work with.

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Sep 10, 2014, 09:10 Verno

Prez wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 23:31:
Love that Indie Bundle - I don't have any of those games yet!

Hahah impossible!

31. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2014, 09:00 Verno

Ugh please don't kill Minecraft.

He was already worth hundreds of millions. I have to question Microsofts sanity in buying such a property, Minecraft has already sold through to most markets, I'm not sure how they ever expect to make back that kind of money. Mojang hasn't exactly been successful outside of Minecraft either.

They could fund several studios to make new IP with that kind of bling. Hell go buy Take Two, you've got RDR and GTA then.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 2014, 09:05.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Alien: Isolation
1. Re: Gone Gold - Alien: Isolation Sep 9, 2014, 15:32 Verno

Everything demonstrated so far has been really encouraging but I don't preorder games anymore. Hopefully it holds up, I would love a good survival horror game set in the Alien universe.  

News Comments > Op Ed
23. Re: Op Ed Sep 9, 2014, 12:01 Verno

UHD wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 11:37:
We're talking about video games and people that write about video games and the people that play them. We can do that without assigning it world-shattering importance. It's called perspective.

Tell that to the people/press who write gems like "losing our identity is annihilation" and who belabor broad moralistic themes then try to apply them to everyone. Holy melodrama batman.

I'm all for some levity and perspective here, too bad its in short supply

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2014, 10:49 Verno

Hyatus wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 10:32:
I'm moving in the next few weeks and I just found and played my Dreamcast for a few hours with my oldest(7 year old) a couple of days ago. I wish the Powerstone series would have taken off. They were a blast to play.

Powerstone and Skies of Arcadia were my favs though there were several other good games on there. I hated the Dreamcast controller though.

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Sep 9, 2014, 09:45 Verno

ASeven wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 09:05:
A bit of SJW hypocrisy. The head of NeoGAF, one of the most prominent people to call every gamer a misogynist, has this to reply about a girl gamer that goes against his narrative.

Who are the real misogynists in this, one has to ask.

Do as I say, not as I do apparently.

Fucking hilarious.

16001 Comments. 801 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo