Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 15776 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 5, 2014, 09:10 Verno

Have to totally disagree with you nin, that guy has always been a smarmy PR dink.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Delayed?
47. Re: Wasteland 2 Delayed? Aug 2, 2014, 16:38 Verno

Normally I would agree with Creston but maybe you're right Sho, I never thought about it that way before. Cutter does this all the time so I suggest just complaining to the admins and eventually they will either do something about it like with RollinThundr or people will just have to live with it.

Anyways whatever, getting back on topic I backed this a long time ago but the 20GB beta install kinda put me off since I didn't have my new SSD yet. I am very anxious to check it out but I haven't heard much beta related feedback. Hopefully by the time I'm done with it Tides of Numera will be out.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Delayed?
28. Re: Wasteland 2 Delayed? Aug 2, 2014, 11:26 Verno

Redmask wrote on Aug 2, 2014, 10:28:
Not new but the pattern is becoming clear. I've never seen such a toxic presence on a forum before, just literal negativity and hate 24/7. No wonder developers can't interact with communities anymore.

You just have to kind of tune him out for now. Blue is pretty lenient but he will go too far and get himself banned eventually, they always do.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
41. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 31, 2014, 12:02 Verno

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 21:11:
Yeah, people get that, but talking about safety directly after an assault has happened is crass and demonstrates a lack of decency.

I don't think that's fair at all. Its arguably the most important time to talk about it while its still fresh in peoples minds. People are capable of multiple emotions, I can empathize here while still using it as an instructional example for my kid.

News Comments > Where Crytek Stands
17. Re: Where Crytek Stands Jul 31, 2014, 08:33 Verno

So they remain committed to IP that is getting them nowhere? These guys must be privately owned because I can't imagine Cervat Yerli not being out on his ass already.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
17. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 16:07 Verno

Jivaro wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 15:48:
It will always boggle my mind this instant reflex or need that people seem to have....when they hear someone has been beaten or raped or whatever...to firstly ask "what did they do to make themselves a target". Blows my mind every time. As if it matters.

Why do you assume everyone is coming at it from that angle? Humans are iterative, we learn by example. We're also inherently curious. People often want to know because that's how we learn. It might be crass but its important. The circumstances absolutely matter, just not for the reasons you seem to think.

Edit: beaten by NKD

News Comments > Path of Exile Comic
3. Re: Path of Exile Comic Jul 30, 2014, 15:29 Verno

I don't play it anymore but my kid has some simple fun with POE, can't argue with the price either  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 30, 2014, 13:43 Verno

I use a trackball at work to help out with my RSI but I really dislike them for gaming and whatnot, I would never use one at home.  

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 30, 2014, 09:37 Verno

I think they made the right call, I don't want to pay stacking sub fees.  

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Jul 30, 2014, 09:25 Verno

Prez wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 21:30:
I've been saying this for a while now. So much of videogaming history will be lost to the ages because of dying hardware and more recently online server requirements. There are ways around a lot of these things but in 25 years will anyone be able to find a playable version of Diablo 2? Maybe, but the real question is will anyone be able to find a playable version of Diablo 3? Whether or not someone 25 years from now would want to play such ancient games (by future standards) isn't the point - this is our gaming HISTORY. Nobody values the Liberty Bell based on well it rings, nor do they judge the value of the USS Missouri based on how it could perform in a modern-day sea battle.

Honestly thanks to VMs I think the situation is better than ever before for singleplayer games. Like you said though the real concern is games with online functionality. Look at all of the upcoming Ubisoft games and they underpinned online shit into every aspect. The day will come when they will shut those servers down and the excuse will be that only 5-10 gamers still play it. Personally I don't care if 1 or a million people play it, if I bought it I expect it to be playable. This is really a complex problem though because companies cannot just support a game indefinitely anymore and still create others, most aren't structured like Valve who can live off Steam/Dota/TF2 forever.

News Comments > Falling Skies: The Game Trailer
9. Re: Falling Skies: The Game Trailer Jul 29, 2014, 14:52 Verno

Bundy wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 14:04:
Jackplug wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 11:24:
Atm anything is better than Extant!

I've actually been rather entertained with Extant. It's not my favorite show by all means, but hardly a dud. That might change though, of course.

I can't stand Extant but I'm watching it anyway, go figure. The plotholes already piling up 3 episodes in, Halle Barre still hasn't done anything decent in her career except Monster's Ball and the show completely busts suspension of disbelief which is saying something for sci-fi. Despite all of that I keep watching it even with many better things to do with my time, I have no idea why

Could be worse I guess, could be The Strain. That show has some of the worst writing ever on TV "look at that plane, looks like a downed animal. Call Washington and tell them....we've got a dead bird dundundun". I started laughing out loud at that shit.

News Comments > Sims 2 Ultimate Collection and SecuROM
5. Re: Sims 2 Ultimate Collection and SecuROM Jul 29, 2014, 10:35 Verno

Optional Nickname! wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 10:08:
SecuRom DRM, while 'unpopular' is very strangely over-vilified compared to the persistent and even more insidious DRM of Steam, Ubisoft, etc.

If Sony had the same level of zombie-control that Valve and Apple does, you would soon be reading posts defending SecuRom with all the shills in unison. Instead, you get the indefensible position of on-line DRM is somehow better for you than off-line DRM.

Thinking people know differently.

I've never had an issue with Steams DRM outside of the HL2 release. Offline mode always kicks in automatically if I happen to lose my connection and outside of multiplayer Steamworks titles which rely on internet related functionality I have no issues. People like Steam because the DRM is relatively benign.

I can't say the same thing for SecuROM over the years.

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 29, 2014, 08:59 Verno

Still no ability to have friend logon notifications. No suspend/resume for games in standby mode. In a year from now we will actually get the PS4 OS they advertised pre-release.  

News Comments > Falling Skies: The Game Trailer
3. Re: Falling Skies: The Game Trailer Jul 29, 2014, 08:34 Verno

I'm surprised to see any love for the show here, I found it pretty mediocre. It's full of terrible writing, characters keeping secrets for no reason, plenty of nonsense drama targeted at female demos and the show has little consistency within its own boundaries. One of the more disappointing sci-fi series I've seen and a pretty poor post-apocalyptic setting.

This video looks horrible by the way.

News Comments > Op Ed
117. Re: Op Ed Jul 28, 2014, 15:27 Verno

Somehow these threads always peter out like this

Looking forward to the next Polygon gender wars article to rinse and repeat.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: GRRM Jul 28, 2014, 15:20 Verno

Stormsinger wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 15:06:
Admittedly, the man's a slow writer, but I suspect that may have something to do with why his books are uniformly good.

Uniformly good? I wouldn't go that far haha.

I think the show has actually exceeded the books in many aspects but I worry about where they'll take it. Its clear he cannot finish the series as fast as they can film it (which is so messed up considering the jump he had on it) so now the concern is what they decide to do with the vague outline he gave them for the series ending.

Edit: spelling

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2014, 15:28.

News Comments > Facepunch Announces Riftlight; Defends Rust
7. Re: Facepunch Announces Riftlight; Defends Rust Jul 28, 2014, 11:18 Verno

I like the guy who compared their development approach to taking a dump, hahah.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
22. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 28, 2014, 10:45 Verno

Rogues are only really good for taking down a boss quickly but my 2H Warrior can do that too and actually take hits. My mages are ridiculous, they can CC everything, clear the field and rarely ever take a hit.

Rogues are playable but not really optimal compared to other classes IMO. But of course its an RPG so do whatever fancies you

News Comments > Op Ed
106. Re: Op Ed Jul 26, 2014, 23:52 Verno

yuastnav wrote on Jul 26, 2014, 17:58:
This whole business of blocking someone because you got really emotional over something that person said is silly.

Err no it's not, people often do the same thing with others who annoy them in real life. This isn't work, people don't need to get along with every other user and its not realistic to expect that. I only have 2 people on my block list and frankly the site reading experience is much more enjoyable this way. There are some people that have nothing useful to offer or never concede a point and life is too short to waste time with it. There are other times where you know you just can't get along with someone and want to spare everyone else reading the back and forth. I don't really make a big deal out of it either, I was just using it a point to explain to Mad Max that its better to actually ignore them instead of doing that weird "well I guess he was saying this but ignored so lol" type stuff.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Diary and Everest Contest
5. Re: Far Cry 4 Diary and Everest Contest Jul 25, 2014, 15:16 Verno

Creston wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 14:55:
What baffled me is that there are basically like 2000 people on Everest at all times, yet everyone will just let some poor slob die without bothering to help.

Perhaps it's time for some nice scouring winds to blow all the assholes OFF Everest. Where's my fan...

High altitude climbing is really rough on the body, 8000m peak require some serious acclimatization. The low pressure environment makes aerial rescue above base camps impossible and the low oxygen makes a manual rescue very difficult without a co-ordinated effort from many people. You have enough trouble putting one foot in front of the other, let alone hauling someone around. Plus you're on a huge mountain, usually on a severe incline with the potential for avalanche, inclement weather, serac collapse, rock fall, other climbers and etc. Assuming you can even effect a rescue in the first place, it would need to involve probably 5-8 people to be in a remotely safe manner if the person is immobile. Even then some rescues will be impossible and could just kill everyone involved. Shit people die all the time on Mount Rainier, let alone K2 or Everest.

If you are mobile people will probably help you, if you can't move well....you knew the risks and expecting other people to almost certainly lose their lives isn't fair either. Most accidents happen on the descent of a mountain as well and loss of life can be very sudden. Your brain does funny things when you're oxygen deprived, people have literally just wandered off the edge of the Kangshung face of Everest in broad daylight, 5000m straight drop to the glacier. Other people just sit down and die. One guy dragged 2 other people to their deaths on Kangchenjunga. Trying to help someone might mean endangering your own life in ways you might not immediately consider.

I'm a climber and as a sport it attracts a lot of cool people but it is also prime ground for that narcissistic, alpha male personality who just wants to summit no matter what the risks to themselves or others. Getting those kinds of people to abandon their own summit attempts (which cost like 40-60k in the case of Everest) to help someone is an exercise in futility. I would never put a climb above someones life but I don't climb 8000m peaks (yet) so its easy to talk about a situation I haven't been in.

This comment was edited on Jul 25, 2014, 15:23.

15776 Comments. 789 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo