Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 17880 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2015, 09:59 Verno

I like watching baseball at the park with the crowd but I can't do it on TV, too damned boring. React gaming is just weird now, Super Smash Bros? Whatever.  
Playing: XCOM 2, Diablo 3
Watching: American Crime, Regression
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Titanfall Passes 10M [Updated]
25. Re: Titanfall Passes 10M [Updated] Oct 5, 2015, 09:14 Verno

The PC version was a wasteland last time I tried it, took forever to fill a game.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2015, 09:12 Verno

Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 21:35:
Yeah, let's tax people because we don't like what they're doing!

What do you suggest we do when they are significantly affecting everyone else financially and in terms of health care? If people don't want to help themselves and are a significant drain on everyone else then what option is left?

I think financial penalties are all we can do aside from education and the lobbying bodies ensure education can only go so far. They are well infiltrated in the school systems for christs sake.

News Comments > NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming
40. Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Oct 2, 2015, 15:15 Verno

While the A6 isn't top of the line (it was never meant to be in the first place), I've given it a very thorough workout over the last two years or so that I've had it and I can promise you that if your system is configured correctly, you're not trying to stream 1080p video or have 50 tabs open in Chrome in the background or anything stressful like that, it will play most games out there at playable frame rates. Of course you're not going to get 1080p and full detail. I already admitted to this. I'm not stupid nor am I clueless, contrary to apparent popular opinion. I know the what the hell I'm talking about. Obviously an A6 isn't going to win any awards and when I referenced the A6, I was talking more about the HD6350 inside, not the cpu side of the APU. But it's not a slouch if you know how to use it right and don't mind knocking the sliders back a little...or playing a little under 1080p, which, my LCD being 1680x1050, is no issue.

I'm not debating per se, just disagreeing and pointing out what I felt was an exaggeration. The A6 can barely manage 720p 30fps at lowest detail settings in many popular games, the benchmarks are pretty clear. The A10-7870k is a better bet for budget gaming but even that isn't going to do much with modern titles and people might as well get a previous gen dedicated card at that stage. Nvidia makes better laptop GPUs and they are often paired with Intel CPUs for an added bonus. AMDs APU products were never really that impressive from anything other than a cost stand point. Conceptually they were supposed to help AMD make inroads with the laptop market and give them ammo to fight Intel whose weak IGP performance was a sticking point for a long time. Unfortunately that market got gobbled by hybrid solutions from Intel/NV or moved onto cellphones and tablets.

Not a big deal, I was just perusing the thread and wanted to comment on that.

My only contention here is the driver release times. They released 12 drivers last year, as the last one was 14.12 and I'm sure you're aware that it goes YEAR/MONTH. So I'm not sure where you're getting this one WHQL driver a year thing from? I'm not saying they always release a driver every month, they don't, but they try to get them out as soon as possible. They've had four or five driver releases this year already and not all of them were betas, though the majority were. Still, the latest was 15.9 which just got a hotfix and while that's not WHQL-certified, the July 15.7 release is. Personally, I don't see the big deal with it being certified or not, they work just the same.

I want better quality and if they can't do better quality then faster releases. I've been hit by several major AMD driver bugs over the years and compatibility issues with games. I can count on game ready drivers for most new titles within a day of release from NV. I remember one of the devs who worked at a porting house commented on here how difficult it was to get anything out of AMD while Nvidia answered emails same day and even assigned dedicated reps for big projects. I used to give them a pass on this until I found out they gutted the driver and dev outreach teams as a cost saving measure awhile ago.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 2, 2015, 13:33 Verno

I would rather they shoot for an impressive debut in terms of the tech than half ass it and give the naysayers ammo. $350 is not a big deal for a first iteration like this.  

News Comments > Quote of the Day
39. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 2, 2015, 13:32 Verno

InBlack wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 03:32:
Lastly, some of us want to support our platform of choice, we want it to become what it used to be. I can't think of a better way than boycotting console releases and purchasing only PC games.

Why? Who cares. I really like gaming on my PC and all the support it needs is me buying games and building systems. It doesn't need some sort of product evangelism pc master race type stuff. You don't need to boycott consoles for the PC to do well. There are some great games on the consoles you can't get anywhere else but whatever, its your money.

I like gaming in general more than I like platform wars or whatever is going on here.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2015, 10:34 Verno

I didn't like Genisys. The PG-13 ratings for movies like that just hurt it. It requires a lot of jump cutting, annoying edits and Marvel style fighting that feels like its just missing a POW bubble. It's hard to take the action seriously when there's no stakes. The story is absurd in every Terminator film but past entries did a better job of exploring the morality of technologies at play when they were made. I understand why they wanted Arnie in but it felt really forced. They had more relatable themes of fate and our ability to shape the future. The new movie feels more like a shitty amusement park ride.  

News Comments > NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming
38. Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Oct 2, 2015, 09:48 Verno

Rigs wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 14:24:
Way to generalize, there. Most current gen consoles have absolutely NO problem giving 60fps at 720p. It's when they get up to 1080p when they have trouble and not because the APU can't handle it, but rather, in Xbone's case anyway, the way they have video ram (or ESRAM) implemented. A paltry 512megs of it ain't gonna get you far. The APU in the PS4 has no problem with games, assuming the dev actually knows what the hell they're doing! As for PC-based APU's, I have an A6 (which has an equivalent HD6350) with 4gb of DDR3 and it has no trouble playing 1080p video, or playing anything up to 'AAA' graphics heavy games in 1080p. The Witcher3 and GTA5 have some trouble without pulling the options down a tad, but then again, my 7850 has trouble with it, too, at 1680x1050. And have I owned nVidia? Would you like to see the box of nVidia Geforce256, GF2MX's, GF3's and TNT2's and RIVA's I have sitting next to me? Aside from them, I have two laptops with 670M's. So yes, I've used nVidia, and I don't like them one bit.

I don't find this to be true and I own current gen consoles. Many games struggle to meet stable framerates and almost all of them make sacrifices in detail toggles. The GPU in the consoles is 2 generations old already and frankly wasn't that impressive to begin with. It's just a testament to optimization and lower level access to the hardware that devs get the results they do. The A6s are pieces of crap. Last time I used one it couldn't even manage a stable 30fps at 720p with low details in Alien: Isolation. They're fine for playing little indie games but 1080p AAA nope and Anandtech agrees.

The Xbox One has 32MB of ESRAM by the way, not 512MB. It's essentially a cache that is theoretically faster but requires more grunt work from devs. It also has a slightly weaker GPU than the PS4. I'm not even sure why people are talking about consoles when discussing videocards. Supplying those has more to do with contractual negotiation than anything else, it has no bearing on who has better parts. Intel, Nvidia and AMD have all previously supplied consoles.

AMD gutted its driver division and only seems to send out WHQL releases once a year at this stage. I don't mind installing betas but even those seem to take too long vs Nvidia. Their latest cards run hot as hell and eat power. The only saving grace is some clever cooling designs from third parties. I have no real confidence in buying them right now, to me the only reason to bother is price. The only compelling card in their lineup is the R9 Nano for people doing living room builds. What they have going for them is price but if they keep channel dumping they're just going to confuse the market.

I want a better AMD so that Nvidia is forced to compete but they're not investing a lot back into the business and don't seem to have a plan for the future. I wouldn't be shocked if they're gone within a few years at this rate.

News Comments > Project Spark Going Free
4. Re: Project Spark Going Free Sep 29, 2015, 15:23 Verno

This a precursor to it being put out to pasture. They killed the community off with absurd microtransactions early on.  

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Sep 29, 2015, 13:06 Verno

Rossini wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 11:16:
Colin Cowherd - who refers to himself as "The Herd"

All I needed to know about this guy right there.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 29, 2015, 12:57 Verno

$299 or bust for Xbox One bundles, $349 is meh for the offerings and its problems.  

News Comments > MS Kills Safedisc DRM in Win 7 & 8
48. Re: MS Kills Safedisc DRM in Win 7 & 8 Sep 28, 2015, 10:54 Verno

Malware authors can use virustotal too fellas  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2015, 10:03 Verno

http://komodoide.com/

The basic editor is free.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Progression Details
11. Re: Fallout 4 Progression Details Sep 25, 2015, 11:00 Verno

Task wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 09:54:
If this were reddit or youtube, I'm sure I would be downvoted into Oblivion for not liking FO4 that much. *Shrug* I got burned out though from pre-ordering FO3 back in 2008 and then Skyrim, so my excitement for Beth games has diminished considerably.

Nah the only people I see downvoted at reddit are trolls. I post contrary opinions there all the time, for the most part as long as you write well or at least support your points you'll have no issues.

Anyways I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt here and I like seeing companies try new things. I was never that attached to the skill system and balance stuff from FO3.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2015, 10:23 Verno

Christ not that Bob dog again. My girlfriends family breeds golden retrievers and won't stop linking that shit to me. I don't want a goldie I don't care how much your family loves them, shit is like a cult. I might get a little punter shih tzu just to piss them off at this point, they hate small dogs apparently.  

News Comments > Chris Avellone Writing for Divinity: Original Sin II
2. Re: Chris Avellone Writing for Divinity: Original Sin II Sep 25, 2015, 10:16 Verno

I thought the dialogue in D:OS was dreadful so this can only be an improvement.  

News Comments > Source 2 Running on Vulkan
34. Re: Source 2 Running on Vulkan Sep 25, 2015, 09:27 Verno

I'm running SteamOS at home on an HTPC and its alright but not something I could ever see end users delving into. You pretty much need another Windows box to stream games from, the library support is awful right now even with "1500 games". I have 20 years of experience with everything from Solaris to FreeBSD to Linux and there are aspects of this that annoy me, let alone the average twitch streamer or something. We're talking niche of a niche here.

I think the competition is essential but I don't see it going anywhere any time soon.

News Comments > Quote of the Day
7. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 25, 2015, 08:38 Verno

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 22:17:
There was a good video awhile back that made a good case against us ever seeing HL3. It basically argued that they have nothing to gain financially from releasing considering the position they are in with Steam, so it's not worth the possible (or inevitable) fan backlash if it is disappointing.

That's not how Valve works though and even if it were true, that same logic works for it being released. If they have nothing to lose because Steam is a money printing operation then it won't hurt to release the game either.

I just want to see anything with a 3 in it released. TF3, L4D3, whatever.

News Comments > Into the Black
15. Re: Into the Black Sep 24, 2015, 14:35 Verno

InBlack wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 02:24:
Standards have fallen and Ridley Scott can go fuck himself with continuing that crapola. Hey, if it makes him happy though who am I to judge? In the age of MegaTransformers VIII, and Cockingjay or whatever I guess there is room for one more dissappointing sci-fi franchise.

Hyperbole much right back at you. Prometheus has many problems but don't even put it on the same level as Michael Bay shit.

News Comments > Source 2 Running on Vulkan
13. Re: Source 2 Running on Vulkan Sep 24, 2015, 13:47 Verno

It was a pretty simple example to illustrate that Microsoft can do many things but it doesn't mean it will. They don't need to do anything to Vulkan other than iterate on DX12. It's not in their best interest anyway as Microsoft has an increasingly multiplatform future in mind where it needs to live with even Vulkan apps and harming cross compat will just bite them in the ass. Feel free to fuel your imagination but the reality is going to be pretty mundane.  

17880 Comments. 894 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo