Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 15864 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III 2.1.0 Today - First Season Begins Friday
9. Re: Diablo III 2.10 Today - First Season Begins Friday Aug 26, 2014, 15:06 Verno

Consoles have a quasi-trading type mode and some other stuff that seems interesting so yeah I think I might just get it on the PS4 instead. I got some Amazon GCs for my birthday so its effectively free to me anyway.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 26, 2014, 14:39 Verno

Agreed. I am a bit worried that I'll get bored moving from 4 powers to 1 though. Hopefully its not just Neon retread and they add some interesting new stuff to it.  

News Comments > Diablo III 2.1.0 Today - First Season Begins Friday
6. Re: Diablo III 2.10 Today Aug 26, 2014, 13:34 Verno

To be fair, most of the time item changes are not retroactive and sometimes thats even desirable.

I like ladders because it gives me a good stop point for playing something else and then I can feel like everyones back at my pace when the new ladder starts. It removes that sense of missing a lot of stuff when everyone has to start over together.

I am waffling on whether to continue here or just move to consoles though. I really love playing this with a gamepad for some reason, its way easier on the wrists and gives you a sense of agency when you're doing things instead of clicking/directing. I hope they reconsider putting gamepad support into the PC version.

The nemesis stuff looked really interesting too.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 26, 2014, 13:27 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 12:05:

I will setup a spread league as well, I was just waiting as to not create confusion.....and I have been working a TON....so I haven't had anytime to do a damn thing.....

No worries, I was just curious. I'm okay at picks but terrible on spread so I need to improve.

News Comments > Win8 Age of Empires: Castle Siege Announced
37. Re: Win8 Age of Empires: Castle Siege Announced Aug 26, 2014, 13:03 Verno

Bundy wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 12:57:

Your own biases are quite clear too so *shrug*. All in all I couldn't care less what you think. I just think its funny that I was the only one not pissed about this. And of course I'm the only one attacked. Oh well, back to work for me. Good day.

Quite the opposite, I've frequently defended Microsoft when I think its appropriate and called them out them when they're nonsensical, that's how its supposed to work. They're a corporation, not my "buddy" or something.

The fact that you think you were "attacked" says a lot about your mindset and bias here. You were the one criticizing other peoples thoughts, no one said boo about yours on the game. If you mean my personal observation then fair enough, I've just noticed you have an overly positive bent to anything Microsoft but I should've kept it to myself.

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 2014, 13:09.

34. Re: Win8 Age of Empires: Castle Siege Announced Aug 26, 2014, 12:45 Verno

Bundy wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 12:29:
I think a lot of people have a strong sense of entitlement. Microsoft attached the age of empires name to this because its recognizable. That's all this was. Boy people have a strong opinion about that. My concern is why you even give a crap what they call it. It's a stupid clash of clans clone. Who. Cares.

I think you have a strong sense of brand bias so *shrug*.

I've already explained this several times, now you're just going in circles. The name isn't unimportant, that's why they used it. Taking a recognizable property and turning it into something else often doesn't go over well with its previous fans. This being a PC gaming site I'm not at all surprised to see people care. You're also purposely ignoring the larger context of how Microsofts contributions to PC gaming have gone over in the past 5+ years.

It's a stupid clash of clans clone. Who. Cares.

This is a bad argument, you care enough to post about it so of course others do. I don't see anyone telling you what to think or do about this game, people are just posting their own thoughts. You just don't like them because they're negative.

32. Re: Win8 Age of Empires: Castle Siege Announced Aug 26, 2014, 11:57 Verno

Bundy wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 11:53:
17 I hate Microsoft comments before i chimed in. Guess i missed the memo, this place is for bitching only.

Literally no one said they hate Microsoft. 2 people used the word hate in this thread and you're one of them. The other person said they hate Windows 8.

This place isn't for bitching only but bitching in this topic is perfectly fine and even understandable considering the context. Maybe they could have avoided that by not using the name, I don't know but its no surprise to see some angst because they did.

No one is telling you what to do with your money or time. Quite the contrary, you're the one who seems concerned about what other people think and say about this.

30. Re: Win8 Age of Empires: Castle Siege Announced Aug 26, 2014, 11:45 Verno

Bundy wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 11:43:

Lol, I'm sorry you didn't get AoE4. This little game is just something for WP and Surface because there's no Clash of Clans. Just pretend it isn't called Age of Empires and you'll feel better. Chill pill, dude. It's a freaking phone game.

I was just explaining why people were upset and why it was legitimate. Stop pretending we're all outside the Redmond campus with signs and pitchforks. It's an obvious cash-in attempt and why would anyone ignore the name? That makes no sense. They are using the name on purpose because its recognizable.

Chill pill dude, relax, people are just venting. How about you pretend people aren't posting about it and be happy?

28. Re: Win8 Age of Empires: Castle Siege Announced Aug 26, 2014, 11:37 Verno

Bundy wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 11:34:
My point still stands.

Your point still sucks for the reasons stated below.

26. Re: Win8 Age of Empires: Castle Siege Announced Aug 26, 2014, 11:28 Verno

Bundy wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 11:24:
This is a mobile game, it's for tablets and phones. If Sony released a cut down version of God of War for Android it wouldn't even be a story. But MS does it and its KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!

Literally see previous response.

If Sony had previously released God of War on the PC and then killed off its studio then turned it into a mobile turd then yes, people would be angry and rightfully so.

"Gee I wonder why PC gamers on this PC gaming site are so angry about a loved RTS series becoming a mobile cash-in". HMMMMM.

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 2014, 11:34.

23. Re: Win8 Age of Empires: Castle Siege Announced Aug 26, 2014, 11:13 Verno

Bundy wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 10:29:
It's a cut down spin off to a well known franchise, and designed for mobile. This isn't aoe4.

*facepalm* That's the point and what people aren't happy about. There likely won't ever be an AOE4, they killed Ensemble and this is whats left. Of course people aren't happy about it hahah.

A bunch of people had no issue with Blizz leveraging the Diablo name to herd a bunch of nerds to a Real Money Auction house (yes, it's gone now, but was the original direction) so it's done by other "game loving" companies as well.

Most people disliked the RMAH and look at how that worked out for everyone involved.

19. Re: Win8 Age of Empires: Castle Siege Announced Aug 26, 2014, 10:24 Verno

You sure seem to pop up in a lot of Microsoft topics.

People are "hating" on what has become of the previously revered Age of Empire series, I don't know why that would be difficult to understand.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 26, 2014, 10:10 Verno

Good timing on First Light, just finished up with Second Son on the weekend. Great game, I got the platinum trophy and it never really felt like a grind. I think it was about 25 hours total so it never outstayed its welcome. I think my only complaint was getting the last power at post-game seemed kinda silly. It was nice playing a protagonist who actually enjoys being empowered like the player does instead of the usual grimdark "my power is a burden" cliche. The game is absolutely gorgeous too.

Each Infamous game has been a solid improvement on the last. If they can add a bit more nuance to the open world next time I think it will be a 90+ MC game for sure.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 26, 2014, 10:07 Verno

Are we doing a spread league or just the pick em? I signed up for the ESPN one but wasn't sure if there was also a spread league.  

News Comments > Op Ed
62. Re: Op Ed Aug 26, 2014, 09:05 Verno

mag wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 01:08:
Where Plenty = A Few Loud People on jezebel.com, I imagine. Anyway, my argument is not that they don't exist. It's not even that they are in the (vocal) minority (though they are). It's that you have two camps of people using the same word to mean completely different things. So when you go charging into an argument foaming at the mouth about feminism, social justice, and political correctness, people that have a moderate view of those things are going to think that you are batshit crazy/a dick.

Whatever you want to call it, I'm getting to the point where I'm becoming indifferent to these issues. Too many blog posts, articles and other nonsense essentially trying to guilt me for not doing enough when in reality the people writing are complete hypocrites.

Videogames please. Not feminism, male rights or social justice thanks.

News Comments > Op Ed
37. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 18:34 Verno

Squirmer wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 18:19:
Yeah but you can't pretend that being a sexist piece of shit is part of a teenager's natural stage of being, and part of becoming an adult is naturally not being a piece of shit any more. There needs to be people maintaining that calling a woman a bitch/whore/slut or sexually harassing them is actually not acceptable. Without that, the piece of shit teenager will remain a piece of shit adult (which still happens in many cases, e.g. this Thunderf00t person).

That's a fair point but now you're getting into iffy territory. Is it ok to pretend all men exhibit this behavior to make a point with the few that do? That's what many people seem to do. Is it my job to ensure women have a good experience on a random corporations gaming network? To play parent to others children? I might say "dont be a dick" to people who are acting like one but that's about all I can do. Guilt trip blog posts and endless haranguing don't make me want to keep going out of my way either. There are rules and structures in place to deal with the few people (men and women) who are shitty to others, I feel like the press should be appealing to the companies who are actually responsible for that and not lashing out at all men. Those responsible will learn soon that they can't get away with it when they are ejected.

Someone complained in the other thread that women shouldn't be treated any different but in here its the opposite argument and the conceit that women need to be protected by men.

News Comments > Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming
116. Re: Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming Aug 24, 2014, 17:48 Verno

yuastnav wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 16:42:
I never quite understood that argument. It's like there is this whole, foreign species called "females" that we don't understand and we don't know whether we want them in our gaming industry. So if one of them falls out of line that means that "yep, we're not sure whether we really can have women in the industry because they're not actually able to do anything and will probably just sleep themselves upwards since the shortcoming of one woman means the whole sex is like that".

That response has seemingly little to do with my post so I'm calling that a straw man. The sex part of the story is actually not what I was referring to. I never said anything about "we cant have females in the industry" or anything silly like that. My point was that you would think the press would have something to say about someone who lied, manipulated and engaged in a large effort to censor and cover up everything. The press should be out there with the story, not suppressing it because of personal relationships, embarrassment or hypocrisy. That is a double standard that you claim shouldn't exist because they should be treated the same as I'm quoting below.

Here's a crazy thought, I know it may sound ridiculous but bear with me: how about you look at a person as a human being first and a woman (or man) second? If someone has the qualifications and can make videogames, let them. Is that person male or female? Don't give a shit.

Tell that to people like Zoe Quinn who purposely ruined a game jam because she was upset with how females were being compensated. I'm not the one treating them any different.

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 2014, 17:53.

News Comments > Op Ed
33. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 17:38 Verno

Sepharo wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 16:32:
I have to disagree with your assessment of the ages of the CS community though. I would say the majority playing are still teens.

Neither here nor there, regardless the take away from my reply was this:

This isn't a problem with men so much as it is a problem with maturity. The vast majority of harassment I've had from Xbox Live has been from teenagers. No amount of blogs or education can replace life experience, those teens are not reading them in the first place. There are certainly outliers and men who are also immature but again, those people aren't really going to be reached by a Tumblr post saying men are pigs with a cherry picked list of tweets as examples.

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 16:19 Verno

Sepharo wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 14:13:
Your anecdotal evidence is countered by others' anecdotal evidence. One of my female friends is really deep into the fighting game community. She has an album on facebook with hundreds of sexist abuse messages that she gets sent on xbox live. She doesn't even post the majority of them, just a couple of really vile ones once a week for years now.

I have a bit of a bone to pick with this example though, I've bolded it. I've endured a lot of abuse on Xbox Live and I would wager most other people have too. The CS community is pretty good these days since many of the players are now in their 30s. The Dota community is awful by comparison and male or female, you should expect some bullshit there. What you're playing, platform and audience all matter.

This isn't a problem with men so much as it is a problem with maturity. The vast majority of harassment I've had from Xbox Live has been from teenagers. No amount of blogs or education can replace life experience, those teens are not reading them in the first place. There are certainly outliers and men who are also immature but again, those people aren't really going to be reached by a Tumblr post saying men are pigs with a cherry picked list of tweets as examples.

Since we're relating anecdotes here, my girlfriend has been gaming for several years now and outside of a few clumsy pickup attempts and a higher number of friends list requests than the norm she rarely has negative experiences.

News Comments > Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming
86. Re: Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming Aug 23, 2014, 17:22 Verno

Redmask wrote on Aug 23, 2014, 16:53:
I could have dismissed it as pointless scandal with people I don't care about until all of the above started happening, no surprise the story has legs now and people aren't letting it go. Fucking your way to connections is one thing, using the bully tactics that you decry is another. It's how it was handled and the shocking amount of hypocrisy going on, especially from sites like Kotaku who have been lecturing people forever on many of these subjects.

That's really what interested me about this story. Who cares about a nerdy sex scandal? I don't care if she slept with 5 guys or 50. It's all of the bullshit surrounding the story that has shone a spotlight on how fucked up things are behind the scenes. I think I've read probably a dozen moralizing editorials on Polygon and Kotaku over the past year but magically they have nothing to say about this. Getting things removed from a top level Reddit is really hard yet this nonsense has that in spades.

They really should be throwing her to the wolves, she is setting back female oriented outreach in the gaming industry by years and not making the press look good either. Instead they've let personal relationships interfere and it makes all of their moralizing basically forfeit since they won't practice what they preach.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Phil Fish was involved in this either, albeit in a tangential way. In the past telling anyone criticizing Zoe that they were "essentially raping her" is classy stuff Phil.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2014, 17:28.

15864 Comments. 794 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo