Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 14967 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 5, 2014, 09:06 Verno

Yes. You get access to a bunch of games for the PS3, Vita and PS4 for the duration of your subscription. Some of them rotate in and out monthly though so you have to add them to your account to ensure you can always download them. I've received so many good games from Plus that I've lost count, its a ridiculous bargain.

Makes XBL look like absolute trash by comparison.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III XP Bonus
66. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 17:44 Verno

Krovven wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 16:43:
Well I think you are wrong, simple as that. If the AH was all about profit for them, then they would just be making changes and keeping it in. If it was all about profit, then why even have the gold only AH at all? Removing the AH's and making items BoA is almost entirely about getting rid of botters and to get people playing the game and to get rid of all the new problems that the AH brought in.

Yeah I was having trouble parsing what you really thought

They already admitted the RMAH was a business decision. As for the gold AH I think it was an attempt to keep gold inflation down and I don't think it necessitates having the game be entirely online. They could have easily had offline and separate online functionality without impacting it. Regardless though they picked their path and the rest is history. I was never personally that upset with it and this is just going to keep going in circles. I just get where people are coming from on the subject and you don't agree with them, fair enough.

Maybe we can all move on from this stuff now and everyone can try the updated game and hopefully there will be a better outcome this time.

60. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 16:37 Verno

Krovven wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 16:34:
I'm not going to go round and round in circles on the topic because I've said it all before. The narrow minded response is always "If they could do it here, why can't they do it on PC?". Three things (among many many more), they don't control PSN or Live and the consoles have same screen coop, there are far more consoles not connected to the net.

I think some of that is their own fault though, they had some messaging problems. In response to some of the complaints they said something along the lines we couldn't do this game offline but then they went ahead and did just that with the console versions. So I get what you're saying there but they brought that on themselves a bit.

Reality is, there are so few people that will only ever play single player only Diablo 3, they can go play something else if that's all they want.

I don't know if that's true or not, it would be interesting to see how many people played Diablo 3 but never joined another session. Either way though I agree that people who really care can just get a console version or play a different game because at this point I doubt it will change.

57. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 16:21 Verno

Krovven wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 16:06:
I'm not sure what popularity of a game has to do with it being online only or not.

You were trying to draw a parallel between not hearing discussion about POEs online only functionality. I was just commenting that we don't get much POE discussion on this particular forum (not saying POE isnt popular period BTW) so it's not really here nor there to me. I've seen a few users comment on it here and there but POE in general doesn't seem to get much discussion here for whatever reason.

Blizzard was trying to fight hackers etc etc etc

Yeah I've heard all that before, this debate is silly at this point. I still don't buy it as the primary motivator behind it. I'm sure that was a factor but much like the RMAH I think it was a business decision first, everything else second. Regardless it doesn't really matter anymore, most of the rationalizations don't make much sense given the state of the game today and people have long since made up their mind one way or the other.

The game isn't changing in that regard at this point so I think anyone who really cares about it is going to get their fix somewhere else. I don't really care myself, I just found the excuses lacking but we'll agree to disagree there.

Just to add...while there is offline in the console versions of Diablo 3, there is also item stat hacking, which is not present in the online PC game.

That's because there is no server component, the console versions are peer to peer (so far anyway, not sure about the eventual PS4 release). The MP for them is the newer equivalent of open battle net. Blizzard probably wasn't allowed to have the clients connect to battle.net proper, at least not within the framework of the consoles. Someone who cares about offline mode probably doesn't care either way but *shrug*.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2014, 16:32.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Trailer
6. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Trailer Mar 4, 2014, 16:04 Verno

Drivable batmobile?! Ok, Grand Theft Batman has me interested.  

53. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 15:50 Verno

Having said that, I see why many others like it -- It's popular, it looks and sounds good, it's one of the few arpg's on consoles, and it's easy.

Nah that's outdated info, they added difficulty modifiers to the game so that people can have an easy or very challenging experience. Much like POE there's also a defined progression path that people can choose to follow or not. You should really reinstall the game sometime, they've changed a lot since Wilson got the boot.

51. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 15:34 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 15:27:
I quite enjoy the new Patch 2.0 experience to be honest. Adventure mode looks exactly like what Diablo 3 needs to be fun with strangers.

Loot 2.0 is definitely a big deal and changes the game in more ways than just finding shiny stuff. Playing the game with my girlfriend we had characters well geared in no time but the game managed to consistently challenge us to make good choices about build direction based on gear drops. I haven't had a chance to check out the adventure mode coverage yet but will definitely do so. I thought Diablo 3 was a very middling game before but really enjoyed it since the loot system upgrade, I think people should be open minded.

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 4, 2014, 15:31 Verno

Cutter wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 15:05:
It's not the hundey so much as people don't want a spybox in their home. Particularly one that's worse hardware for the money to boot.

You can just unplug the Kinect dude, the whole spybox bit is dated, they removed the connection requirement. I agree that it's underpowered compared to the PS4 though and should definitely be cheaper.

49. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 15:24 Verno

Krovven wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 15:18:
I find it amusing that some people still can't see the benefits of it being online only outside of it being just for DRM.

I don't really see any left at this point. The protection against hackers and dupers is dubious at best, especially at this point in the game. People tried to make some arguments about the dynamic joining but they could have easily separated game modes with a toggle to appease people. The existence of the console versions proves that and the offline functionality works very well, I've used it extensively. They're not going to patch it out now because they don't want people running private servers competing with them and so on, that's fine and the ship sailed long ago anyway. If I want offline I'll just buy a console version.

Nobody ever claimed it wasn't DRM, they just pointed out the other benefits that went along with it. PoE is online only...yet nobody ever bitches about that. Being free to play isn't a valid argument either.

I'm not digging up ancient threads to have the same tired debates again but yes, several people did claim it wasn't for DRM. I have seen people here bitch about it with regards to POE as well and POE isn't a very popular game here judging by the lack of responses in its threads so I'm not sure its really conclusive either way. Personally it didn't bug me much in Diablo 3 but the handwaving about design choices when everyone knew it was DRM was pretty silly of Blizzard.

45. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 14:55 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 14:46:
Yeah, the on-line requirement is a bogus excuse for DRM -- no one with half a clue would argue that.

Several people here certainly tried but yeah the curtain was ripped away with the console versions and the offing of the AH.

I'm personally pretty stoked for the Ultimate Evil edition for the PS4, split screen ARPG is fun as hell.

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 4, 2014, 14:47 Verno

ViRGE wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 14:41:
Verno wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 11:28:
It took them the better part of a year and a half to add the XMB which frankly never quite worked optimally.
A year and a half to add the XMB? The PS3 shipped with the XMB. So I'm not sure what this is in reference to.

The in-game XMB overlay and tasker, not the base user interface.

I think $100 buys you a lot of slack in the console market these days. When you're charging $100 more than the next guy so that you can include an accessory that no one really wants and are pushing hardware that isn't quite as capable, I think you've screwed the pooch. There isn't a lot that you can do on the software side to iterate out of that hole.

I don't disagree with you overall but I think that Microsoft can move on the price and that the power advantage is largely forum bait that won't matter to the average person.

Also speaking as a PS4 owner who has also spent some time on an Xbox One it really isn't a conclusive, winning experience over the competition. They need to keep improving on the software side, its where they are weakest.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2014, 14:35 Verno

Red wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 13:33:
The claim is that "nothing" can change an anti-vaxxer's mind, yet was everything tried? No. Only a single thing was tried ("education"). The second step when trying to convince someone to change their opinion? It's called communication!

Communication is part of education. It's not like its a big mystery why people hold ignorant views and you can't aww shucks them into agreeing with something by pretending to humor them. That's even more counter-productive and patronizing than just giving them consensus and facts from the medical community and letting them try to make a reasonable, informed choice. You seem to think that people should be babied and convinced when many are adamantly against any reasonable understanding in the first place. I have no idea why you brought up religion as no one else has mentioned it so far and it has no basis on this IMO.

I don't really care if people want to vaccinate or not, they're just hurting themselves in the long run. I just find it sad when their bad choices affect their kids but oh well, such is life.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2014, 14:44.

News Comments > Titanfall Launch Trailer
2. Re: Titanfall Launch Trailer Mar 4, 2014, 13:46 Verno

I thought it was alright but yeah not picking it up at launch. It is one of those games where I think the first is solid but the second game will really knock it out of the park.

I bet EA is regretting signing that exclusivity deal with Microsoft right now.

News Comments > Dishonored II at E3?
33. Re: Dishonored II at E3? Mar 4, 2014, 13:07 Verno

Creston wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 11:15:
I did. Didn't really make much of a difference to the final level, to be honest. Every guard still walks around like he has no clue there's a supernatural assassin in the area. "Did I just see something? No, must be my imagination!"

I was more referring to the first part of his comment, not the latter. I don't mind that the AI didn't drastically change, development is expensive enough without redoing the AI for specific levels these days. Would it be cool? Sure. It also adds significantly to the development and Q/A budgets.

32. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 12:33 Verno

descender wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 12:01:
Which is exactly the same as D2 was. Play a build, get bored with it, reset your stats. NO ONE played "multiple builds" of the same class up into the higher levels... what would be the purpose of that? You could simply reset your stats and have a brand new build every time you played.

My memory is probably a bit hazy but respecs weren't added until like 2010 dude, the game had been out for something like 10 years already at that point. So yeah people did play that way for a long, long time. In fact they played that way a lot longer than they played with respecs.

That said, people should remember how much each patch changed Diablo 2 and give Diablo 3 another chance. The awful producer is gone and the new loot system I saw on the PS3 owned, I am definitely picking the combo PS4 xpac/main game. I have zero hope for the shitty story but the rest of the expansion looks like a big improvement. But hey its your money and it's not like there's a shortage of other ARPGs.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Revealed
10. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Revealed Mar 4, 2014, 12:12 Verno

Quboid wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 11:56:
Is there a recent show called Cadfael that I'm unaware of or are you watching a 1970s (at a guess) British show about a murder-solving monk in medieval England?

Yeah that's the show I love murder mystery type stuff and this one is set in medieval england with a rather unique protagonist.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Revealed
7. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Revealed Mar 4, 2014, 11:52 Verno

I wanted to but never finished Arkham City, the controls started getting busy and the open world aspects felt weirdly contrasted against the story. The riddler puzzles were annoying, too many weird timing based ones. Didn't even think about getting Origins.

I guess I should give Arkham City another shot sometime but damn, so many games to play

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 4, 2014, 11:28 Verno

Panickd wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 10:51:
You assume that Microsoft is going to iterate quickly while Sony just sits on it's thumbs?

Microsoft has the experience to iterate quickly, that hasn't been Sony's strong suit traditionally. It took them the better part of a year and a half to add the XMB which frankly never quite worked optimally. So while I don't assume they won't iterate, they've been awfully quiet about missing launch features and additions so far and Microsoft is already beta testing a large set of fixes and additions to their own platform in the same time period. As I said, Sony needs to step it up to stay on top. The Xbox won't be in the doghouse forever.

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 4, 2014, 10:33 Verno

The problem with PS4 sharing is no Youtube support. I don't want to share shit to fucking Facebook of all places. There's also some oddities with the DVR where its sometimes recording everything you do but then inexplicably misses the entirety of your last match without any feedback.

PS4 still hasn't delivered on the game suspend/resume feature or the controller sharing over IP. Microsoft will iterate quickly and people will forget a rocky launch if they come down on price, Sony needs to step it up IMO.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2014, 10:12 Verno

It's not just the autism stuff either, as the article notes there's been several weirdo movements to have kids "naturally resist" things like the measles. It kills me that people can sit there owning an advanced device like a smartphone and using it all the time but somehow think that progress in medicine isn't worthwhile because "it was good enough for our ancestors". No it wasn't, that's why we evolved!  

14967 Comments. 749 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo