Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 16306 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubisoft vs. Steam?
68. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 14:06 Verno

I wonder if their not being on Steam for a bit had anything to do with this. "Helix Credits" what the hell? Is this yet another fake currency to buy with real dollars to spend on in game stuff? Bloody IAP.

I hope that's just something taken out of context.

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

55. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 13:29 Verno

Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 13:24:
Uplay has sales all the time. And they'll likely increase with deeper discounts if they don't have to give anyone else a cut.

Less competition rarely means deeper discounts for consumers and you have personally argued that about Steam, GMG and etc so I'm not sure where this flipflop comes from. If all people cared about was price they would've been buying keys from forums where people sell videocard bundles and etc. You can always get cheap legit keys that way, Steam uPlay and otherwise.

You also said earlier that Steam is getting complacent but they just got done with a major revision to the client (the 2nd in as many years) and their pricing is largely set by publishers themselves. By comparison here's the latest additions to uPlay. The highlights being minimize to tray and uPlay can finally update itself...hooray?

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2014, 13:46.

41. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 12:36 Verno

Jerykk wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 12:30:
Except I seriously doubt the increased margins make up for the lack of volume. Steam is by far (and I mean by far) the largest distributor of PC games in the world. Nothing else comes even close. A game sold on Steam probably sells at least 10 times more than a game sold on Uplay.

You're probably right, I guess they look at it as a total picture (game, DLC, building their platform, etc). I don't know, either way its frustrating that they keep selectively doing this. People keep saying its not a big deal but if they can do it to Steam then I would not want to be GMG.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Road Rage Nov 7, 2014, 12:29 Verno

Creston wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 11:32:
Well, send that video to someone who can sharpen it up a bit, get the license plate, and have that piece of shit arrested for attempted murder.

That video is unreal. Over a parking spot, what an ape.

38. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 12:27 Verno

Omni wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 12:21:
Always this internet uproar when ubisoft or EA pulls something like this but the problem is people still buy there games/DLCs, The day people start speaking with there wallets then the companies might start to change for the better or maybe it is to late for that.

I think they do make less sales but what they lack in volume they make up on the margin so even if people speak with their wallet its a question of how effective that actually is. Obviously they want you using their store front where they pay no cut to anyone else and cutting out the market leader makes a lot of business sense in terms of building out your own platform. I get all of the business reasons behind it, as a consumer I just don't care about them.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Requires 64-bit OS
56. Re: Far Cry 4 Requires 64-bit OS Nov 7, 2014, 11:53 Verno

Dmitri_M wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 11:28:
Bludd wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 15:23:
Dmitri_M wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 14:44:
Big deal. I had 64bit games on my Atari Jaguar 20 years ago.
I don't think you realise what you have unleashed ...

haha yeah I think most of the people here get the joke

My brother and I were quite young/gullible, we bought into that marketing shit and actually owned a Jaguar We were in complete denial, owned like 20 games too. I pity my parents, we decided after a few months it was crap and its been in their basement ever since. I found it in a box a few weeks ago. That gamepad haha, half of a damned telephone.

29. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 11:44 Verno

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 11:29:
Valve provides a better service and that's why people use it.

I agree completely. People talk about how Valve gets too much love from the community but I think that they provide a superior service and that's why people ultimately keep coming back. Origin has come a long way but still has ground to make up, uPlay isn't even on the radar.

21. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 11:06 Verno

NKD wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 11:00:

I doubt they are going to have problems shipping lots of copies of Assassins Creed and Far Cry dude. Nevermind the fact that they get most of their sales off consoles, but their PC fan base isn't going to skip games just because they aren't on Steam. Particularly since they already have and use uPlay.

I don't know, I've purchased just one EA game since they split off and I can't see myself going out of my way to use an even worse client just to play Ubisoft titles. There are a lot of games vying for attention these days, if I don't like the prospect of something I generally just move on.

I guess anti-Steam people will get their wish, Steam will no longer be the dominant platform. Instead you'll have 30 different fucking clients (and 30 accounts that can be hacked...)

The thing is, I don't mind that in theory. I just want the option of getting it on every platform including Steam. Make them all compete instead of this arbitrary shit.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 7, 2014, 10:53 Verno

NKD wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 10:14:
A definitive version of the ME trilogy would be nice. All the DLCs included, maybe a few graphical updates for ME1. Looks like they aren't planning on making huge gameplay changes, so the gameplay of ME1 would stay intact for example.

I'd like to have it all on Steam in one big file (DLC and all) but that's asking for too much apparently. Less elevator riding in ME1 would be nice.

14. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 10:42 Verno

Bundy wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 09:47:
Not a big fan of uPlay, but I wouldn't be so quick to jump on Valve's defense. Their cut of digital sales is pretty high, somewhere around 30%. Which is fine for smaller devs who need the exposure Steam can offer, but for Ubisoft, whose games already have tons of press and marketing, and they already have their own digital store where they get to keep it all, frankly I'm surprised they haven't pulled their entire catalog at this point like EA.

Forget about defending Valve, I just don't see how this is good for me. This isn't the first time this has happened, they pulled their stuff before (Far Cry 3) because of a pricing dispute with regional products. Ubisoft likes their absurd margins in the EU and Australia apparently. I'm sure Valves cut is a factor as well but as a consumer I just don't care about Ubisofts profit margins. Their product not being on Steam potentially means higher prices for me and frankly uPlay is a piece of shit. I will often buy a uPlay product on Steam on purpose (even though uPlay is the launcher) because at least the patching is handled on Steam that way.

The last time I went to play Blacklist uPlay needed to update itself twice, then patch the games 3-4 times incrementally. Then after playing a few sessions it deleted all of my saves. I find not being on Steam really affects multiplayer games too. Several games multiplayer communities were DOA on PC after launching on Origin or uPlay. BF had some success but it sorta has a builtin fanbase.

I also prefer having everything on 1 platform and hate having multiple shops open. Heck, even Blizzard has their own and they only have 3 IPs! lol

Having all these different shops makes it a pain when you want to keep everything under 1 roof. I remember getting confused when I had Dead Space sales where I have like Dead Space 1 on Steam, 2 on Origin, and I think 3 on Steam.

It's annoying like that.

Yeah and this. Its really annoying trying to get your friends on every client, each one having different preferences (one of my buddies refuses to use Origin) and the clients themselves having different feature sets.

Warner Brothers is supposedly turning out one of these clients next year too.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
15. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 7, 2014, 10:31 Verno

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 09:29:
No one's claiming that a secret pandemic is going on. They're claiming that an actual and obvious pandemic is going on in some countries, and we'd not like it to spread here. One way to help with that is a quarantine.

This has all been covered though by the CDC, WHO and other health bodies. Quarantines with Ebola are difficult to enforce and make contact tracing more difficult which is actually more crucial to preventing outbreaks. The incubation time is a significant factor as well and makes a quarantine very unlikely to be effective. That's without going into the large economic impact of blanket quarantines and the possibility that people will go overland into neighboring countries without quarantine measures anyway.

So? If that sort of comparison held water, we'd have shut down the gun control debate years ago with 'gun-related deaths don't matter'.

It's just context so that people stop freaking out over unlikely, extreme possibilities. Ebola is nowhere near as easily spread as something like influenza. I'd certainly worry about ebola if I was traveling to Sierra Leone but it's nothing to lose sleep over living in Texas (yes, even with a confirmed case).

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2014, 10:46.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
13. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 7, 2014, 09:11 Verno

Axis wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 18:20:
People have NO CLUE how utterly dangerous Ebola is, you go to heavily infected countries (for any reason) and come back, you BET you better be quarantined.

We get ONE case here and it shuts down the entire hospital damn near, flights, busses, places visited. Nurses, doctors, workers you think they're gonna stick around for long? Would you?

It's something you don't mess with, and these selfish ass whiners can go fuck themselves (science based my ass, almost nothing is scientifically proven about ebola, however we DO factually know transmission in up to 12% of cases can no show no symptoms for much longer than 21 days, can live on dry surfaces for several days and has a 75% kill rate. ONE slipped case has the potential to kill many innocent people.

And now we have Obama stopping the media from reporting almost everything about ebola, which is why it seems to have "gone away". Inept, incompetent president on every level -- You all better pray it doesn't spread, forget panic - just be smart and use your head. Now is NOT the time for bullshit political correctness.

This level of paranoia can't be healthy at all.

Ebola is not a significant risk to our country given how its transmitted, sorry man but Fox News and CNN lied to you. There is no secret pandemic going on. Blaming Ebola on Obama is just weird agenda pushing too. Missing the forest for the trees, more people will die of the flu than they will Ebola.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $60M
42. Re: Star Citizen at $60M Nov 7, 2014, 08:34 Verno

I wonder what would happen if you ran a diff on these Star Citizen threads  

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Nov 6, 2014, 16:09 Verno

Origin I'm kinda indifferent towards but Uplay I actually dislike, I've had problems with it in the past and Ubisoft doesn't seem interested in improving the product. For me its not so much about boycotting any one thing as it is that there are a lot of games on the market these days and I don't have time to play them all. If they're going to piss me off with this sort of silly stuff then I'll just spend my money somewhere else.  

33. Re: Far Cry 4 Requires 64-bit OS Nov 6, 2014, 16:01 Verno

Creston wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 15:56:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 15:14:
Can't wait for this. I got a free copy of Far Cry 4 and Assassin's Creed: Unity with my new graphics cards (GTX 970s) and they should be a good test of my rig.

You got both?? Holy shit. What card did you buy? (I know, GTX970, but what manufacturer?)

Nvidia pick your path promotion is going on right now. If you bought a card before the beginning date (Nov 4) then you can contact your retailer and try your luck. Newegg honored my request and gave me a code. If you ordered 2 cards you can probably get 2 codes.

28. Re: Far Cry 4 Requires 64-bit OS Nov 6, 2014, 15:42 Verno

ASeven wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 15:34:
If they do they are shooting themselves in the foot. Ubisoft is pulling an EA but it doesn't have brands as strong as EA to draw people to their store. EA may have pulled it off but I don't think Ubisoft can.

I don't know, they have several pretty strong brands nowadays man. For some of these companies its more about the profit margin than volume. That being said I don't like Uplay and can't see myself seeking out Ubisoft games on their own little store/client, its deleted my saves somehow before and on release weeks its download speeds make dialup look attractive. Origin is kinda half assed but still much better executed and more feature complete than Uplay. The only thing its really good for is extremely cheap keys since people dont seem to value them much.

25. Re: Far Cry 4 Requires 64-bit OS Nov 6, 2014, 15:30 Verno

ASeven wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 15:30:
Steam has just pulled Far Cry 4 and AC: Unity from their store worldwide, nobody is sure why.

They were having a pricing dispute with Ubisoft over regional stuff (Ubi wants even higher regional prices or something), it started with the UK store. I assume its now escalating. I really hope Ubisoft doesn't sell exclusively on Uplay.

News Comments > The Witcher III Free DLC Plans
15. Re: The Witcher III Free DLC Plans Nov 6, 2014, 15:29 Verno

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 15:21:
It may be free on the up side but it's still retarded to chop up a game like that. Not buying until the complete EE comes out.

Not your finest work CJ

23. Re: Far Cry 4 Requires 64-bit OS Nov 6, 2014, 15:25 Verno

Darks wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 15:15:
SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 13:24:
I only have 2 gigs of ram this is bull shit, fucks sake

Are you just bullshitting us or are you on the level? Because no serious respectable gamer should have only 2 GB of ram in their PC.

If your on the level I don't know why your still running on 2 GB Ram. Did you think games are not going to evolve and start using more then 2GB? If so, maybe you should stick to a console.

Hahah stop being weird Darks. Go back and read the first post in the thread. Then read the post you quoted again.

News Comments > The Witcher III Free DLC Plans
3. Re: The Witcher III Free DLC Plans Nov 6, 2014, 14:16 Verno

CD Projekt is fantastic.  

16306 Comments. 816 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo