Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 15475 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > BF Early Access Possible
13. Re: BF Early Access Possible Jun 13, 2014, 12:37 Verno

So its the status quo then?  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Female Lead Follow-up
14. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Female Lead Follow-up Jun 12, 2014, 11:37 Verno

gilly775 wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 11:00:
So why aren't people bitching at the countless thousands of other games that don't have a playable female character?

They usually do but lets say they start, will that make you feel better?

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Steam Details
17. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Details Jun 12, 2014, 11:31 Verno

Creston wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 11:29:
The chat was fine, are you sure the rest of us weren't just drunk?

I didn't like the codec they used on the PS3, the PS4 voice chat is vastly improved.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Steam Details
4. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Steam Details Jun 12, 2014, 10:08 Verno

The load times on last gen consoles soured the MP for me and the chat quality on the PS3 was garbage. Can't wait to try the PC version.  

News Comments > Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity
68. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 12, 2014, 09:48 Verno

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 20:14:
Yes, but Lara got famous initially because she had ginormous meat pillows. And if characters like Bayonetta aren't about sex why aren't they 40 year old fat, ugly bull dykes?

How many of the males out there played femshep just to see how many lezbo relationships they could get into? Probably most of them.

Sure Cutter ape, sounds good. Ooga Booga. Go stand over there and eat some bananas while the adults talk.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2014, 09:26 Verno

I thought Destiny looked really generic but after reading several positive gameplay impressions from people in the press who have similar taste to mine I have to admit I'm looking forward to checking it out.  

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Beta Nears
16. Re: Pillars of Eternity Beta Nears Jun 12, 2014, 09:25 Verno

Awesome, one of the few things I kickstarted, hopefully this starts coming together now.  

News Comments > Linux Sid Meierís Civilization V
11. Re: Linux Sid Meierís Civilization V Jun 11, 2014, 16:13 Verno

Its funny how every thread even mentioning Linux has to turn into a thing about how its inferior to Windows.

I'm not a huge fan of Windows in general these days and I use it for very little purpose outside of gaming at home. Microsoft has not been what I would call a good parent to Windows gaming either. Linux serves me just as well so long as I can get the games I want on it and I have plenty of past experience with it. As a PC gamer I'm used to tinkering anyway

I have to admit that I used to be pretty dubious about linux gaming but the strides Valve has made in a very short period of time are really impressive.

46. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 15:50 Verno

That would just seem to buttress Therien's position here, if that's still in sight. Mass Effect is one series where character customization is pretty central, especially compared to Assassin's Creed. If people don't even give much of a shit about that sort of customization in that game, then it starts to make a whole lot more sense that the team here would say 'You know, our resources are better spent elsewhere.'

I get what you're saying but I also think that those norms won't change unless people are given the opportunity. The industry needs to continue growing for the short term and I don't think it will achieve that without tapping more into female demos. It is really hard to do when most of the gameplay, characters and story is geared toward men alone. My girlfriend wouldn't touch most of the games in my library but was immediately drawn to Diablo 3 just because she could make her own character for example. She also really enjoyed The Last of Us because she liked the more mature storyline.

Maybe that doesn't matter in Assassin's Creed: Unity where the demo is largely male anyways but without giving people the option I think its a self fulfilling prophecy.

40. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 15:26 Verno

Victor Grunn wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 15:13:
They are not committing some sin by lacking that desire.

I don't see where anyone said there was something wrong with the default. Likewise there's nothing wrong with wanting something different. Some people are really insecure and don't get that though.

If we're talking about male versus female Shep, last I saw stats on this most people far and away preferred male Shep. And that's quite fine.

I don't know about that conclusion, most people literally just selected the default everything. Gender, hair, eye color, etc. The character customization is pretty detailed and many people don't have the patience. There are more male gamers than female so I would expect the stats to trend that way regardless.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2014, 14:28 Verno

Prez wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 13:28:
You know those computerized soda machines showing up at places like Burger King? I made a Cherry Coke Zero at one that was the best damn soda I ever drank!

You mean like sodastream or whatever? I've kinda wanted to try one of those but I find soda too sweet in general so I'm not sure I'd enjoy it anymore than the canned or fountain stuff.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
11. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 11, 2014, 14:24 Verno

I already pretty much subscribe for the old Star Trek stuff, more is always good. Although for the life of me I don't know what people see in Deep Space 9.  

33. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 14:17 Verno

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 12:12:
Do you like having sex with women? That in and of itself means nothing, but combined with wanting to roleplay a woman is pretty good indicator that you're a lesbian trapped in a man's body. I hear they've come pretty far with gender re-assignment surgery these days. Maybe you should look into it.

You come off as way more insecure and confused IMO, he's just playing whatever he finds interesting. The amusing faux posturing and rigid gender relation screams closet case, maybe you should take your own advice Grouphug

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous E3 Trailer
3. Re: Elite: Dangerous E3 Trailer Jun 11, 2014, 13:21 Verno

I haven't been following it too closely but I thought No Man's Sky is procedurally generated and Hello Games isn't a big studio so I wouldn't count on much of a story there either.  

28. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 12:26 Verno

Darks wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 12:21:
I know this is off topic, but I got an email stating that Rock Star has officialy announced Grand Thieft Auto V for the PC this fall.

The link is to long so I cant post it. Maybe Blues will post it officially now.

It was posted yesterday and the day before, there's a big discussion thread for it here if you want to catch up on what people thought.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2014, 12:10 Verno

Linksil wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 11:15:
Prob still won't have a good app to just watch videos either.

Surprisingly it looks like it is getting a fully featured playback app according to the article.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jun 11, 2014, 11:31 Verno

Pigeon wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 10:14:
I can't speak for the rest of the western world outside of the US, but this one of the weirdest things about our society. Some pretty extreme violence is okay, but sex in media is the worst thing ever. We can watch hours of football players bash the crap out of each other and call it wholesome family entertainment, but half a second of Janet Jackson's nipple and the whole country loses its shit.

Or in the case of Mass Effect whole planets can get horrifically murdered and mutilated by a race of malevolent techno-organic beings, but you have a short scene where two of the characters make alien love and you've got pundits on FOX frothing at the mouth because the youth is being poisoned with immoral filth.

I sometimes think its because it's easier for governments and religions to use violence to their own gains than it is for them to use sex.

I mean without getting into a huge debate, I think you can boil it down to religious adherence and the media conditioning people to violence. You see a lot of that hypocrisy in the bible, its very contradictory even about violence alone. The flipside of that is the news and popular media in general has totally desensitized many people to violence. Thankfully violent crimes in North America were on the decline last time I looked into it and nudity is becoming more prevalent in popular media so hopefully we're seeing progress on those fronts.

In the context of E3 I don't think any of this is a problem though. I doubt anyone is being purposely excluded from E3 or event presentation based on gender. There is a growing number of female gamers but it's still largely a mans industry due to the audience and you see less representation as a result. It was even worse 10 and 20 years ago. It's progressing naturally, I don't see any reason for people to be offended.

15. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 11:11 Verno

shinchan0s wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 11:06:

Yeah, both arguments are pretty silly. For the record though, if I had a choice, I'll always play as a guy.

To each his own I guess, for me it depends on the writing and voice actors. I try to get into the characters moreso than the genders. Obviously being a guy its easier to get into male character roles but sometimes you get a shitty voice actor or its just a poorly written generic space marine roughneck that I can't enjoy because I'm not 16 anymore.

Not like Assassin's Creed has particularly good writing for characters of any gender so its really a who cares situation. The only truly interesting characters have been Ezio and Edward to a lesser extent and even then they were more interesting due to excellent VA, the writing in these games is pretty awful.

10. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 11:02 Verno

shinchan0s wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 10:59:
I never buy the "I'd rather look at a girl's ass while I'm playing cuz I'm totally an alpha male" tripe either. Any guy who's that insistent on playing females secretly wants to become one. There's nothing else to it.

I'm sure you're kidding around because of what he said but haha wow that's uh really funny.

If your protagonist isn't chugging beer, wearing a wife beater and driving a huge truck (phallic replacement) then you just aren't a mans man!

News Comments > Diablo III Patch Ditches Legendary Crafting Materials
31. Re: Diablo III Patch Ditches Legendary Crafting Materials Jun 11, 2014, 10:57 Verno

descender wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 10:18:
In this thread, everyone finally figured out that games designed around grinding the "end game" content are fucking stupid.

The leveling process in a game like this needs to take way, way longer... so that the journey to the cap can offer you some sort of actual gameplay, challenge, and a carrot to chase (also, and END point... not a perpetual grindfest). When the goal is "Ignore all content, get to level cap as quick as possible, then start actually playing", your design is basically shit. (enter: every hack-n-slash loot generator ever made)

The second flawed game system at work here is the "enemies scale up with you" shit feature that ruined games like Oblivion and FO3. If their health and my damage scale up together, why bother have leveling up at all? Game worlds need clear cut areas and mobs that are "too hard" or "too easy" for you, so you can see tangible results of your endless grinding... so you have something to actually fear in the game world... and also so you have different areas to play in along the way rather than just repeating all of the content endlessly (or that one most efficient area). If it takes me 4 hits to kill something, then I spend 700 hours leveling up towards the "cap", but it still takes 4 hits to kill the same "something"... you see where I'm going here.

I've said it before, these games are all fun to a point... but they will never, ever have the longevity or success that D2 had... mainly because D2 was NO BETTER with these systems at all. It was simply the only thing like it to play at the time.

I don't know, I sort of agree with what you're saying but I think you miss the mark on other important problems.

I agree that the leveling progression should be more defined and meaningful. Right now you basically hit 70 and the whole game changes, everything before it is meaningless. At least the Inferno system gave more clearly defined progression if nothing else. I'm more of a fan of each step up in Torment having its own unique loot or some form of character progression but I know a lot of casual players don't like that approach. I'd also like to see each Torment increment give more unique enemies to add more challenge.

The itemization is another area where the game really needs major work. 2handers are almost always a soul, crit and crit damage are way too overvalued, secondaries are bizarrely implemented/balanced and elemental damage itemization is very imbalanced. The core stat implementations are weird too, dex giving dodge for example is very questionable in terms of value compared to int or str which give much better toughness benefits and more reliable damage mitigation. There are way too many "end game" items that end up being trashed because of poor itemization.

I think there is a combination of tiered rifts, ladder and other stuff that could provide a compelling end game but it sounds like many people basically want closure from a game/genre that is designed not to give any. Play it while its fun and play other shit when you're bored.

15475 Comments. 774 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo