Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 17228 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Rainbow Six: Siege Alpha Changes
1. Re: Rainbow Six: Siege Alpha Changes May 14, 2015, 08:58 Verno

Good first steps. The alpha I played was really underwhelming and felt more like a bad Counter-Strike clone that lacked the charm of Vegas so its nice to see them dialing things back a bit to be more deliberate.  

Playing: Dota 2 Reborn, The Witcher 3, Super Metroid
Watching: Galaxy Quest, True Detective S2, Dark Matter
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2015, 22:15 Verno

Cutter wrote on May 13, 2015, 20:32:
No, you slighted another country with the implication that where you live you country would never engage in such barbaric practices yet they do and much worse, just not as theatrically. The big news here of late is Omar Khadr. If you don't know who he is look him up. And there are many others, so yes, your government is actually doing things, very bad things. My point is those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Nah that's your filter on it because you have a bone to pick and always want some vehicle for your rants. If I really want to slight North Korea its not like I have any real reason to be subtle. I like my house and country just fine, neither is perfect but nothing is in life so tough shit

21. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2015, 16:26 Verno

The police thing is just some personal beef of yours with nothing to do with what I was saying earlier. You can keep going with it if you want but I'm not interested in enabling it, I'm not a cop and you're not going to get a rise out of me with it. Likewise I'm not sure what naming random rallies (Occupy was an amusingly unrealistic juvenile disgrace BTW) has to do with anything. Canada is no stranger to participating in conflicts, invasions of privacy or arresting some protesters either /shrug

I've argued quite ardently against the patriot act on this very site but again not really sure what that has to do with anything. The governments ability to do something and it actually doing it are two different things, I'm not going to move away because they cooked up something stupid otherwise I'd have to live in space since no country would be appropriate. Thankfully I have that choice, people in North Korea not so much.

Anyways that's about as much time as I want to waste on this considering I was just dropping a line about being grateful where I live, I never "glibly" claimed I lived in a perfect country or something silly.

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2015, 13:32 Verno

Cutter wrote on May 13, 2015, 12:50:
Yeah, how many 10's of 1000's, maybe 100's of 1000's have died because of the US since 9/11? Cops are killing over 100 people a month on average in the US without so much as a reprimand and one guy getting killed in NK is a call for perspective? Yeah, actually it really does put things into perspective doesn't it? Just not the way Verno thought.

Merits of war is a different discussion IMO. I didn't even mention the police so no idea where that comes from. I just like my ability to criticize my government without fear of an insane despot ordering me to be torn apart by dogs or shot with an AA gun. But I guess I'm just silly like that!

Oh and eraser, NK routinely threatens to murder millions and is only held in check by other world powers ensuring its destruction. That's without getting into the appalling way they treat their citizens. I have my beefs with my country, don't get me wrong but I'm pretty confident I've got a better deal here and sleep just fine at night

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 13, 2015, 13:06 Verno

Cutter wrote on May 13, 2015, 12:47:
No it hasn't, you clearly didn't understand the article. xkcd is talking about passphrases not passwords. In that context the one guy was talking about cracking the password "correcthorsebatterystaple", whereas cracking a passphrase with 4 or more separate words "correct horse battery staple" is virtually unbeatable.

I understood it perfectly well and again this point is directly referenced in the article (read all the way to page 3 about combinator attacks) and in others. Passphrases are generally not anymore secure than passwords because people don't make them complicated enough (at least 20 characters long) and they don't do that because they are too difficult to remember/type.

So password managers and password encryption are all but useless. It's just throwing more good money after bad and not resolving anything. That's why I only bother with creating something difficult for the important stuff like my banking, etc. And even then it's frustrating knowing it can still be hacked.

You haven't explained why they are useless, in fact I will explain why they are not. A password manager can be locally controlled, use time limited codes to access its DB through a key file, generates very strong passwords that are very difficult to crack in any meaningful timeline and can even fill your forms for you as a convenience. That is pretty damned useful from just about any perspective. Even if someone wanted to be silly and ignore the above they could even generate passphrases with it too as most have the ability to do that.

Password encryption is a whole other topic but encryption is far from "useless".

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 13, 2015, 11:38 Verno

I think its much more effective to just use a password manager, you can host the DB yourself, encrypt it and have its login limited with a one time code tied to a phone or whatever if you're truly paranoid. My password manager automatically creates complex passwords for sites and fills fields in apps/etc so I don't have to. No two sites ever get the same pass and the passwords are actually reasonably difficult to crack unlike the xkcd idea. The xkcd idea might've made sense 10 years ago but we've got better tools now and there are too many sites to remember a bunch of passwords like that, if someone is using one password for many sites then they've defeated the entire purpose and so on.  

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 13, 2015, 11:04 Verno

That old xkcd comic idea was thoroughly debunked by experts already as its too susceptible to common dictionary attacks. Passwords in general aren't very secure these days thanks to very efficient password crackers, its more about levels of control through one time use codes and password lockouts. I think biometrics makes the most sense but the privacy implications are severe so it will take a long time to sort out.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2015, 09:32 Verno

Ripped into chunks by anti aircraft fire, ooook then. Sounds like reasonable government to me. We all bitch about ours from time to time but here's some perspective.  

News Comments > Path of Exile: The Awakening Support Packs & Divination Cards
3. Re: Path of Exile: The Awakening Support Packs & Divination Cards May 13, 2015, 09:28 Verno

I might give Dota 2 a rest for awhile and check this out again to see how things have changed, the new netcode option sounds good since that was my main beef before with playing HC. The combat preview on their website looked like there are some new animations too which the game really needed IMO. Any word on when this comes out of CB?

But Witcher 3 next week

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Syndicate Announced
23. Re: Assassin's Creed Syndicate Announced May 13, 2015, 08:54 Verno

This is what, the third major release in 2 years? No one learned any lessons from over saturating the market last few gens with franchises apparently - Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero, etc.

Nothing in that trailer really excites me either, its just the same window dressing I've seen for years now.

News Comments > Shadowrun Chronicles - Boston Lockdown Free Content
1. Re: Shadowrun Chronicles - Boston Lockdown Free Content May 13, 2015, 08:52 Verno

Anyone pick this up? I love everything Shadowrun but this kinda flew under the radar for me.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Preloads Confirmed; Release Schedule
57. Re: The Witcher 3 Preloads Confirmed; Release Schedule May 12, 2015, 14:31 Verno

Flatline wrote on May 12, 2015, 14:20:

It's interesting that the only real criticism of the game is "it's not skyrim".

Anyone even remotely familiar with Witcher games will know that it's not Skyrim. I guess someone, somewhere, at some point, made the comparison to Skyrim and goddamn it that's going to be the metric that they use to measure the game by.

Err the devs themselves use Skyrim as a comparison tool so the media and consumers can be forgiven IMO.

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2015, 14:11 Verno

nin and I rarely agree on anything but yeah, some house cleaning is overdue at this point.  

52. Re: The Witcher 3 Preloads Confirmed; Release Schedule May 12, 2015, 14:10 Verno

descender wrote on May 12, 2015, 13:53:
W3 being "open world" doesn't imply doing sidequests in any order you wish IMO... and I prefer some direction anyway. "sandbox games" are a subset of "open world" games that allow you to freely roam and do whatever you want without structure (i.e. skyrim). W3 is simply not a sandbox.

I think that's preferable to me. Most sandbox games are really bland & repetitive when you branch outside of the structured portions of the story. Even RDR got old once you started seeing the same random events.

37. Re: The Witcher 3 Preloads Confirmed; Release Schedule May 12, 2015, 12:23 Verno

Cutter wrote on May 12, 2015, 12:16:
Anyway...agreed. I never understood why they didn't do a Friday release. Most people are off for the weekend so what better time to start a new game than a Friday night when most people are relaxing. But that would make sense.

Little to no staff will be around to do support/patch related stuff on a weekend and many retailers schedule marketing stuff around flyers which need lead time. Weekend releases as a gamer are great but from a business perspective are more difficult.

29. Re: The Witcher 3 Preloads Confirmed; Release Schedule May 12, 2015, 11:36 Verno

The gamespot review is positively gushing, glad I got this as a videocard freebie now Shame it was a review of the PS4 version, I'm anxious to see how the PC holds up.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2015, 10:22 Verno

Everyone got their wish with the Patriots punishment, 4 games, some draft picks and a million bucks is way harsher than I expected.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2015, 08:32 Verno

Save the time, its not very good. Rudimentary space travel flick with a low budget, poor characterization and a shitty filming style.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Passes 1M Preorders; Preloads Underway?
37. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Passes 1M Preorders; Preloads Underway? May 12, 2015, 08:26 Verno

Redmask wrote on May 12, 2015, 07:07:
I like the CD Projekt guys, they have great ideals for gaming in general...but they release buggy as fuck games. Witcher 1 and 2 took months to fix. I will wait and see on this.

Witcher 1 was more problematic than Witcher 2 in my experience, although the latter had some severe crash bugs and was very poorly optimized at release. They got it fixed up pretty quick. I just don't preorder games anymore because its inherently one sided and often a raw deal but I got this as a pack in with my second 970 so *shrug*

News Comments > More Fallout 4 Speculation
15. Re: More Fallout 4 Speculation May 11, 2015, 14:23 Verno

Yeah thats how I felt about FO3 vs NV. FO3 had great exploration, lots of cool little touches and stuff to find. NV had better writing and quests, some of them very complex.  

17228 Comments. 862 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo