Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 16164 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 15, 2014, 09:24 Verno

Crytek 'open' to bringing Ryse to PS4.

Looks like they've buried their relationship with Microsoft after they got refused funding on Ryse 2.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc., etc.
27. Re: etc., etc. Oct 15, 2014, 09:03 Verno

"must tackle problem that seems to only exist from one view point without considering another". Yeah thats a fair way to engage.  

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Videos
14. Re: Far Cry 4 Videos Oct 15, 2014, 09:00 Verno

Ugh already caught 2 dream sequence snippets from that trailer, looks like more of what was annoying in Far Cry 3.  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 14, 2014, 15:05 Verno

I agree, in the case of something like The Banner Saga (more focused but with similar production value) they shot for 100k and ended up with 750k. This is shooting for 200k and it looks like they will struggle to get funded.  

4. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 14, 2014, 14:42 Verno

I don't know that just seems too vague, they don't share a lot of common elements beyond the basic gist. The game premise is a lot more rooted in survival aspects while the film was a dopey meandering mess based on character stories. It's kind of like saying "oh man Armageddon rip!" for any film involving a meteor.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
29. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 14, 2014, 14:32 Verno

Been ad free on TV for years, never going back.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2014, 11:36 Verno

Cutter wrote on Oct 14, 2014, 11:16:
Really? I think the Marvel films are pretty awful. DC is doing a much better job IMO.

Yeah I tend to agree, I find the Marvel films pretty generic and average. At least the DC films have taken some creative chances even if they stumble at times.

The second CA film was alright while it played out like Captain America: Bourne Supremacy but got totally lost in the second half of the film.

2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 14, 2014, 11:34 Verno

I'm not sure what that crappy movie has to do with this video game other than "hey snow!".

Seems almost a bit like Don't Starve, I like the aesthetics too. Too bad I just don't Kickstart games anymore but I'll look for it on Steam down the road

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Oct 14, 2014, 10:12 Verno

HorrorScope, did you read it? The text of that review is so over the top I can't take it seriously:

What belies progression is that nothing is what it seems, and if it seems, it will soon unseam. The whole game is riddles wrapped in crimson, jiggly flesh ripe for pink misty explosion. In the first 10-minutes of Mikamiís magnum opus Detective Sebastian Castellanos will find himself as a hunk of meat waiting to be cleaved. Heíll slide into a vat of thick, coagulated blood soup with bobbing chunks of flesh. The walls will bleed and things that should be dead, arenít. Booby-traps lace your escape routes and youíll slip and slide on the rotting corpses of those who came before. Light only quickens your heart but fire, fire is your friend. Burn away the enemy; burn away the memories.

Hahaha what the fuck?

News Comments > GOG.com Has 100 Linux Titles
4. Re: GOG.com Has 100 Linux Titles Oct 14, 2014, 10:08 Verno

It's usually just a Wine wrapper but its nice not having to do anything to get something to run.  

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Specs
50. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Specs Oct 14, 2014, 09:24 Verno

"We made Frostbite have 4 legged animals" doesn't sound like PC love. Was this an internal video they released by mistake or something? It's dreadful.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2014, 09:24 Verno

He does admit the choice of including Batsuit nipples has haunted him: "I think that will be on my gravestone. It's how I'll be remembered."

Hahaha. That is the one thing I've heard the most about that movie from both casual viewers and comic junkies alike.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 10, 2014, 14:54 Verno

Julio wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 19:06:
For scraping data off people's hard drives that has nothing to do with Adobe i.e. ebooks purchased elsewhere. The EULA for the software apparently doesn't allow for this; though Adobe's put something additional on their website which may or may not.

I'm sure if I put out a program that scraped hard drives for personal information, I'd end up in jail.

They would just get a fine, not jail time haha. But I think you're right that people are too quick to jump to the "OH OH BUT YOU SIGNED THE EULA!" stuff, as if that validates literally anything a company might decide to do.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIII Released; Only Supports 720p
30. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIII Released; Only Supports 720p Oct 10, 2014, 14:24 Verno

Brumbek wrote on Oct 10, 2014, 12:50:
13 is sort of a case study on how people react when their lives are torn apart, and that is a great premise rarely seen in RPGs. I think many just quit after the first very tedious opening hours and never got a chance to get to know the characters.

I don't know how you got that from the game at all. I found the characterization to be flat, the voice acting to be stiff and exposition was awfully presented. To me that game is a case study in either bad writing, localization or both. You don't even get full context of the story without diving into the datalog or whatever it was called. In other games that might be ok but in one where you're dragged around on rails and subjected to repeated, drawn out story exposition its just bad writing. To me the good thing in the game was the visuals and some of the music, everything else was straight up bad. Shallow combat system, essentially no exploration, poor atmosphere and world building, story I've covered and so on.

And hey, no one is saying FFX is a master piece or something, that game had its own major flaws. But even compared to FFX I find that FFXIII just falls flat.

FFXIII might be an average videogame but its a bad Final Fantasy game.

They all have reasonable motives and behave realistically

I could not possibly disagree more, I would not even use the word realistic to describe any element of the game, let alone the characters.

edit: eraser beat me to it

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 2014, 14:29.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2014, 13:38 Verno

Creston wrote on Oct 10, 2014, 11:34:
Awww, hop on by sometimes?

Haven't seen Bhruic in awhile either, he was a cool guy.

I just watched that episode again last night on Netflix mag, good call

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2014, 11:07 Verno

There are other factors at work too. A lot of people at our company socialize over sporting events, golf is a big one with the executives for example. I hate golf but I play because its a good opportunity to further my career. Over the years there has been one woman who joins these outings and its no surprise that she has advanced further than her colleagues, much like I've advanced further than some of mine who don't go the extra mile. It's also hard to account for personality, proficiency and other factors. Different story across various industries too. Some are very progressive, others are still a boys club (finance is notorious for this).  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2014, 10:20 Verno

avianflu wrote on Oct 10, 2014, 10:04:
I am going back to being a lurker on bluesnews but before signing off I do really want to thank "Blue" for his years of work and his website. Hope he sees this.

You were always a cool poster, good luck dude.

News Comments > Dragon Age - Origins Free on Origin
53. Re: Dragon Age - Origins Free on Origin Oct 10, 2014, 10:19 Verno

Just ignore him guys, hes not worth the time. I rarely see anyone quote him anymore so he only has himself to blame.  

News Comments > RYSE: Son of Rome Released for PC
7. Re: RYSE: Son of Rome Released for PC Oct 10, 2014, 09:53 Verno

Prez wrote on Oct 10, 2014, 09:39:

Was this on console first? Was it really that bad?

It has a few defenders like anything else on the internet but yes it was that bad. This started out as a Kinect game but when it became clear that doing anything with Kinect is fucking awful they decided to keep going instead of just wisely scrapping the whole project. The good part is the graphics, its a very pretty game. The bad part is pretty much everything else. The combat seems visceral to start but becomes repetitive and shallow quickly. The story is not even worth mentioning.

I suspect people will feel more favorable about it if they go into it with very low expectations and pay less than $15. I only put a few hours into it at a friends place but that was enough to say "ok lets not play this ever again and wheres Forza?".

News Comments > Raven's Cry Delayed; Linux Support Added
1. Re: Raven's Cry Delayed; Linux Support Added Oct 10, 2014, 09:11 Verno

Probably a good idea considering how nuts the release calendar is in late Oct/early Nov.  

16164 Comments. 809 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo