Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 17220 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy
3. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 19, 2015, 09:11 Verno

AMDs driver outreach team is notoriously small and hard to get a hold of. Nvidia on the other hand has great relationships with developers and is easy to interact with on a regular basis. I think its a matter of resources and commitment more than anything else. I don't believe devs are purposely crippling performance, especially considering most of them need to optimize for AMD on the console side of things anyway.  

Playing: Dota 2 Reborn, The Witcher 3, Super Metroid
Watching: Galaxy Quest, True Detective S2, Dark Matter
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Released
14. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Released May 19, 2015, 08:59 Verno

ItBurn wrote on May 19, 2015, 08:21:
Played 20 minutes.
The game runs like garbage on my geforce 670.
I mean, the game is beautiful, but it doesn't seem well optimized for the quality I'm seeing. Also, the cinematics run like sh*t even if they're pre-rendered.

Can't say much more about the game for now, but it does seem polished.

Runs pretty well on my 970, probably just need to drop settings.

I'm pretty happy with the game so far but I don't like the pointless twirls and other stupid shit Geralt does before an attack. I'm playing on Death March and every hit counts so getting stun locked into oblivion because Geralt decides to do a spin that has a useless animation cycle before every attack is pretty dumb. It's even worse considering the writers makes fun of Ciri doing this in the prologue.

That aside the quality of the game can't be understated. I did 3 sidequests already, all felt realistic within the game world as opposed to collecting pointless items and 2 of them had unintended consequences that made me think twice about my actions. Graphically its beautiful and the world is full of hand crafted detail rather than procedural blandness like Elder Scrolls games often feel like. The voice acting is a marked improvement over prior games too.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse May 19, 2015, 08:57 Verno

Watches are way more profitable I guess. Sadly I can see that being true, the margins on TVs are razor thin except at the very high end.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
9. Re: Evening Mobilization May 15, 2015, 08:43 Verno

I don't know, the console market in Japan is getting really tough so I can empathize with their position somewhat but the way Konami went about all of this is terrible.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue May 14, 2015, 14:55 Verno

jdreyer wrote on May 14, 2015, 13:47:
Verno wrote on May 14, 2015, 11:35:
Between the R rating and the reviews I'm sold on Mad Max. My GF picked Age of Ultron for her movie night and that was some truly forgettable wank so I'm looking at this as payback

Yeah, Avengers 2 was Spiderman 3 as the first Avengers was to Spiderman 2. Both A2 & S3 reeked of studio intervention. The new Cap movie does too, and I expect it to be similar. The one thing I do understand is that the original cut was over 3 hours, so that might make it a better movie.

Mad Max sounds like a movie to see in the theaters for sure.

I don't agree with the studio comment and Joss was pretty clear in saying hes hand a free hand for the most part. If anything I think he has too much control at this point.

Things I disliked in Avengers: Age of Ultron (no spoilers)

- Pointless red herrings eating up screen time
- Speaking of screen time, bloated runtime that is poorly spent
- Ultron has literally zero development, instantly becomes the villain in a 20 second plot segment
- meanwhile 15 minutes of screentime spent developing Hawkeyes character that really goes nowhere
- Joss Whedon witty banter is out of control, every character sounds the same and like they all belong in a Buffy episode. No one actually has their own voice anymore, its all instant snapback sarcasm and wit, almost like an ABC women's sitcom
- Plot sideswiping just gets silly with constant shifts in location that seem more about setting up set piece fights that seemingly have no stakes
- Blatant asian audience pandering, seriously obnoxious stuff I have no idea why asians aren't more offended by this practice but whatever their money
- Random character death that makes no real sense when you think about the context
- Features one of the Olsen family (I don't really care about this one, just being silly)

People give the DC Comics movies shit but at least when they fail its because they've tried something interesting. Marvel movies I struggle to remember the details a day later, so damned forgettable.

Anyways my GF is a huge Marvel fan (but of course never read the comics lol) so I'm stuck with these as her consistent movie picks when they come out. That's fine though because it means I get to subject her to Mad Max and horror movies

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 14, 2015, 13:31 Verno

Sounds like a win for the public to me and that voters are finally reaching Washington about privacy issues.  

News Comments > Overwatch Video
17. Re: Overwatch Video May 14, 2015, 12:46 Verno

NKD wrote on May 14, 2015, 12:21:
I don't know. They don't feel that fast, certainly not compared to the shooters I used to play, but I seem to do progressively worse every year. So I can only assume I'm slowing down. Maybe it's like you say though and I just don't put enough consecutive time in.

Fair enough, I was just curious. Always worth getting the eyes checked too, a buddy of mine was all sorts of problems in games and it turned out he just needed glasses, he hadn't been to the optometrist in like 10 years hahah.

I've definitely found that I need a good 30+ mins to really get into them now before I start doing alright though, its almost like a mental adjustment from work/home crap.

13. Re: Overwatch Video May 14, 2015, 12:19 Verno

NKD wrote on May 14, 2015, 12:13:
Cool looking game. My days of playing online FPS are over though, getting too slow to keep up, and getting wrecked repeatedly is never fun.

What makes them too fast? I've found the learning curve for the pace is more severe now but once I'm in the zone that I do just as well as when I was younger. Getting into that zone usually requires a solid hour of play to almost warm up for lack of a better term though and I don't always have that time.

News Comments > Diablo III Perma-CC Nerf Plans
7. Re: Diablo III Perma-CC Nerf Plans May 14, 2015, 11:57 Verno

I see what you guys are talking about as the hack-n-slash loot-whoring genre's dirty little secret... that there is little point to playing them beyond the story mode/level cap unless you really, really love treadmills and slot machines and ePissing contests.

Some PvP could bring a little direction and purpose to the end game... but other than that I feel that there is an inherent flaw in the entire genre.

D3/PoE/TQ/etc. are all trying to replicate the longevity and success of D2 without really considering why it was played for so long by so many. It was really a lack of options at the time, and the first of it's kind... the gameplay itself simply lacks the depth to explain the longevity it experienced. These games are simply not "fun" anymore once you reach the end-game content.. and the fact that people purposely and willfully re-hash the same content over and over trying to "optimize" a build to then be able to accomplish... exactly nothing with it... really blows my mind.

Put the game down :p

To some people there's some value in perfecting something and thats where they derive their enjoyment. For other people they just like to frag monsters with their buds and not really worry about how deep the experience is or not. It's like that with many genres when you break them down, ARPGs aren't unique in that regard. With ARPGs I find for some people they enjoy the journey more than the destination and for others its the opposite, the game only truly begins once they're grinding. It's just a matter of taste and there's no accounting for that.

I feel like I've kinda outgrown the genre but that sounds patronizing so I hesitate to use that word. All I know is that I enjoy them a lot less than I use to. Maybe its because I have more options now or just that my tastes have changed as I age but I don't begrudge anyone else for running Greater Rifts until carpal tunnel takes them

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup May 14, 2015, 11:54 Verno

The Godus example is especially disconcerting with the leaked internal emails showing Peter really didn't care about the PC version and diverted all of their resources into the mobile stuff. I wonder if they ever did get multiplayer working or if that whole project will just fizzle out entirely.  

11. Re: Overwatch Video May 14, 2015, 11:37 Verno

It's one of those things I'll have to play for myself, videos of FPS games rarely give me enough to go on.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 14, 2015, 11:35 Verno

Between the R rating and the reviews I'm sold on Mad Max. My GF picked Age of Ultron for her movie night and that was some truly forgettable wank so I'm looking at this as payback  

News Comments > Rainbow Six: Siege Alpha Changes
1. Re: Rainbow Six: Siege Alpha Changes May 14, 2015, 08:58 Verno

Good first steps. The alpha I played was really underwhelming and felt more like a bad Counter-Strike clone that lacked the charm of Vegas so its nice to see them dialing things back a bit to be more deliberate.  

24. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2015, 22:15 Verno

Cutter wrote on May 13, 2015, 20:32:
No, you slighted another country with the implication that where you live you country would never engage in such barbaric practices yet they do and much worse, just not as theatrically. The big news here of late is Omar Khadr. If you don't know who he is look him up. And there are many others, so yes, your government is actually doing things, very bad things. My point is those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Nah that's your filter on it because you have a bone to pick and always want some vehicle for your rants. If I really want to slight North Korea its not like I have any real reason to be subtle. I like my house and country just fine, neither is perfect but nothing is in life so tough shit

21. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2015, 16:26 Verno

The police thing is just some personal beef of yours with nothing to do with what I was saying earlier. You can keep going with it if you want but I'm not interested in enabling it, I'm not a cop and you're not going to get a rise out of me with it. Likewise I'm not sure what naming random rallies (Occupy was an amusingly unrealistic juvenile disgrace BTW) has to do with anything. Canada is no stranger to participating in conflicts, invasions of privacy or arresting some protesters either /shrug

I've argued quite ardently against the patriot act on this very site but again not really sure what that has to do with anything. The governments ability to do something and it actually doing it are two different things, I'm not going to move away because they cooked up something stupid otherwise I'd have to live in space since no country would be appropriate. Thankfully I have that choice, people in North Korea not so much.

Anyways that's about as much time as I want to waste on this considering I was just dropping a line about being grateful where I live, I never "glibly" claimed I lived in a perfect country or something silly.

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2015, 13:32 Verno

Cutter wrote on May 13, 2015, 12:50:
Yeah, how many 10's of 1000's, maybe 100's of 1000's have died because of the US since 9/11? Cops are killing over 100 people a month on average in the US without so much as a reprimand and one guy getting killed in NK is a call for perspective? Yeah, actually it really does put things into perspective doesn't it? Just not the way Verno thought.

Merits of war is a different discussion IMO. I didn't even mention the police so no idea where that comes from. I just like my ability to criticize my government without fear of an insane despot ordering me to be torn apart by dogs or shot with an AA gun. But I guess I'm just silly like that!

Oh and eraser, NK routinely threatens to murder millions and is only held in check by other world powers ensuring its destruction. That's without getting into the appalling way they treat their citizens. I have my beefs with my country, don't get me wrong but I'm pretty confident I've got a better deal here and sleep just fine at night

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 13, 2015, 13:06 Verno

Cutter wrote on May 13, 2015, 12:47:
No it hasn't, you clearly didn't understand the article. xkcd is talking about passphrases not passwords. In that context the one guy was talking about cracking the password "correcthorsebatterystaple", whereas cracking a passphrase with 4 or more separate words "correct horse battery staple" is virtually unbeatable.

I understood it perfectly well and again this point is directly referenced in the article (read all the way to page 3 about combinator attacks) and in others. Passphrases are generally not anymore secure than passwords because people don't make them complicated enough (at least 20 characters long) and they don't do that because they are too difficult to remember/type.

So password managers and password encryption are all but useless. It's just throwing more good money after bad and not resolving anything. That's why I only bother with creating something difficult for the important stuff like my banking, etc. And even then it's frustrating knowing it can still be hacked.

You haven't explained why they are useless, in fact I will explain why they are not. A password manager can be locally controlled, use time limited codes to access its DB through a key file, generates very strong passwords that are very difficult to crack in any meaningful timeline and can even fill your forms for you as a convenience. That is pretty damned useful from just about any perspective. Even if someone wanted to be silly and ignore the above they could even generate passphrases with it too as most have the ability to do that.

Password encryption is a whole other topic but encryption is far from "useless".

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 13, 2015, 11:38 Verno

I think its much more effective to just use a password manager, you can host the DB yourself, encrypt it and have its login limited with a one time code tied to a phone or whatever if you're truly paranoid. My password manager automatically creates complex passwords for sites and fills fields in apps/etc so I don't have to. No two sites ever get the same pass and the passwords are actually reasonably difficult to crack unlike the xkcd idea. The xkcd idea might've made sense 10 years ago but we've got better tools now and there are too many sites to remember a bunch of passwords like that, if someone is using one password for many sites then they've defeated the entire purpose and so on.  

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 13, 2015, 11:04 Verno

That old xkcd comic idea was thoroughly debunked by experts already as its too susceptible to common dictionary attacks. Passwords in general aren't very secure these days thanks to very efficient password crackers, its more about levels of control through one time use codes and password lockouts. I think biometrics makes the most sense but the privacy implications are severe so it will take a long time to sort out.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2015, 09:32 Verno

Ripped into chunks by anti aircraft fire, ooook then. Sounds like reasonable government to me. We all bitch about ours from time to time but here's some perspective.  

17220 Comments. 861 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo