Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 17495 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2015, 13:04 Verno

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 11:58:
I never understood why you're allowed to have booze on a boat. I mean, something big enough to have a separation between dedicated crew and passengers is one thing, but what's the difference between a personal watercraft that anyone can operate and a car in terms of having open containers? Lower travel speed on the water, and less traffic usually, but then there's not as much danger in simply falling out of a car... Even with a designated sober captain, what happens when he's in trouble, goes overboard or has a heart attack at the wheel?

Most places I've gone sailing and fishing do have laws on the books about this, its just a lot more difficult to enforce.

Playing: Dark Souls 2: Scholars of the First Sin
Watching: Cop Car
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > TotalBiscuit, Steam, and 30 FPS Lock-Blocking
9. Re: TotalBiscuit, Steam, and 30 FPS Lock-Blocking Jul 17, 2015, 12:01 Verno

Linksil wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 11:04:
I don't remember the exact numbers. But it's around 30 the eye's see at.

I remember this old GIF got linked a year or two ago in the last thread, a crude but effective demonstration of why that isn't true. Its an oft repeated forum argument bit that usually originates during console vs PC debates. There are a huge number of factors that determine it and make it very difficult to generalize. There are people who can give an accurate visual description at 1/200th of a frame and there are people who can barely discern visible detail at a fraction of that speed.

Over time various industries like film/tv have come up with standards but those are just based on averages and the limitations are often due to other factors that aren't related to fluidity.

Anyways for gaming purposes higher framerates come with enormous advantages, there is no real downside and even if you wanted to framelock it makes little sense to do it so low. As you mentioned though some companies tie subsystems to framerate which is unfortunate.

This comment was edited on Jul 17, 2015, 12:19.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 17, 2015, 09:17 Verno

Haha yeah, what's next? Xbox One outsold PS4 on February 20th 2016! Single day sales record shattered!  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2015, 09:13 Verno

Yeah my father was always pretty adamant that we wear a life jacket during fishing and pretty much any time we were on a boat. As a kid I used to give him a hard time about it but as an adult I'm thankful for the cautious habits he taught.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
18. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 16, 2015, 12:47 Verno

NKD wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 16:01:
Honestly the gaming discussion on reddit, provided you're visiting the right subs, is about a thousand times better than anything on Blue's News these days. I spend most of my time commenting there these days, because you can get actual conversation, and generally speaking pretty quality moderation. It's not some fascist stupidity like NeoGAF or SomethingAwful, but it's also not a completely unmoderated barren waste like Blue's.

Yeah I find myself using reddit more and here less. The sheer amount of trolls and bullshit that gets tolerated here is kind of mind boggling and that's coming from someone who has defended it a lot in the past when people say its too negative and a bastion for trolls. At least on reddit when people spew a bunch of nonsense hate posts or stupid racist bullshit, those people get voted down or moderated. Here you have to report to Blue and hope for the best. I think its 2 people who respond to those things and they're fine but its often like 10 hours later and far too late. Banned users sometimes openly re-register and flaunt it. The indulgence some users get here is absurd, you have people literally loving up the nazis and horseshit like that which serves no purpose other than antagonizing other users.

It's a shitty system that hasn't changed in forever and I doubt will ever change, all you can is use ignore which doesn't really work because people quote it. Hell I wrote a user script to filter out nested quotes from ignored users but even that is clunky.

Reddit isn't perfect by any means but at least there are mods on the subreddits, users can vote down troll comments and so on. I used to worry about groupthink scenarios there but for the most part it isn't a problem, I can often express controversial opinions and as long as I'm rational about it I don't get downvoted into oblivion. We really really need something like that here. Good luck getting it though. Any time Blue asks for feedback in OOTB people inevitably hate on it because "change bad" or because they're part of the problem and want the status quo to continue.

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 2015, 12:55.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2015, 11:36 Verno

harlock wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 10:53:
never owned a microwave.. they just fuck shit up in my experience

not worth it.. toaster oven is plenty good

Yeah we love ours. I mounted a range microwave for the odd time we come across something that needs it but that only happens maybe once a month. Toaster ovens heat up so fast and food tastes so much better for the most part. Even if you're good about adjusting the power level and time on microwaves per dish it tends to make leftovers taste like a poor imitation of the real thing.

We barely use the regular oven unless we're entertaining now. The power savings aren't significant but its nice not having having the main level so hot when someone is baking or whatever.

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 16, 2015, 11:27 Verno

I travel between the US, Canada and the UK pretty frequently so I use the various regional Netflix sites. The US site has more breadth of content but I never find myself lacking for things to watch on the Canadian and UK catalogs either. This will get better as Netflix continues to branch more into content creation too, particularly on the TV side of things.

I've actually found several shows I like on the CA/UK side of things that I can't get on the US site, go figure.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Trial
12. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Trial Jul 15, 2015, 10:43 Verno

harlock wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 10:18:
ultimately the game was hollow for me.. too much junk content, the whole thing seemed like a SP MMO

there was a good amount of the traditional bioware interaction stuff with npcs, but way too much garbage heaped on top.. it lost my interest

also the dumbed down character stuff.. (no stats, skills, etc. just a handful of small upgrade trees)

it was ok until W3 came along and then i was like "fuuuuck all this"

Yeah agreed. At release people said "oh just dont do the repetitive stuff" but you have to do a lot of it to find the few interesting quests and dungeon crawls in the game. They also treadmill you into doing a fair bit of it to accrue power and other bullshit resources. Also the whole leader of the inquisition needing to pick a billion flowers can fuck right off.

It was a frustrating game because aspects of it are done really well but others are like they were phoning it in. It was much better than DA2 and I don't regret the money/time spent on it but its definitely no Witcher 3. Instead of copy/pasted collection shit they should focus on creating less numerous, more interesting secondary content.

And yeah pete, totally agreed on the AI. It was atrocious, no sugarcoating it. The removal of user controlled tactics was really stupid. Their half assed toggles on the abilities and defend this target crap was no substitute. The tactical camera was annoying to use and the game clearly wasn't balanced around it, if you manually give orders all the time fights will take eons due to the bloated HP numbers on enemies.

4. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Trial Jul 15, 2015, 09:55 Verno

Creston wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 09:45:
A Bioware dev said on their forum that it was their best-selling DA title by far, so I'm guessing they're pretty happy with it.

All I remember hearing from Bioware was that it was their top game in terms of preorder sales and expectations from last gen consoles, I've heard zip on sales totals since then and EA has been pretty mum on it. Where can I read this, does he mention any sales figures? Google isn't finding the post.

If its true then I hope they take what they learned here and apply it appropriately instead of the fucking 8 steps backward that was Dragon Age 2.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2015, 09:40 Verno

The deals have been mediocre, I checked the US, CA and UK sites. Already seeing a lot of backlash on social media. I guess they figure its just free publicity but I'm not sure this is the kind they want. If you want to start an annual tradition you have to do better than this, not sure what they were thinking.  

1. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Trial Jul 15, 2015, 09:36 Verno

It's a shame the secondary content in the game is such a chore because the main story and companion stuff was pretty fun. I thought the score was pretty good too. Artwork and zone design was excellent overall, though the back tracking can get a bit obnoxious in places like The Western Approach. They just have to get out of this weird hybrid RPG business, either make an action game or make a pure RPG again. Origins wasn't perfect, it needed iteration and improvement on its subsystems. This weird idea they have to chase the bro demographic clearly isn't working, EA won't even disclose DA:I sales which is never a good sign.

Anyways theres more good than bad here but with The Witcher 3 out its hard to make a case for playing this any time soon.

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 15, 2015, 07:31 Verno

Flash and Java are plugins, not addons. They have more pervasive access than regular addons do. If they were addons I'm still not sure why that would matter, they're blocking known bad versions which they do for other plugins and addons anyway. I get that its inconvenient but it doesn't seem like a big deal overall. Frankly I wish they had gone further but obviously we don't see eye to eye on that  

News Comments > No Star Wars Battlefront Split Screen on PC
29. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Split Screen on PC Jul 14, 2015, 15:38 Verno

Wildone wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 15:22:
Who in the hell plays split screen on PC?! Whats next people demanding it plays on their android phone too? Get the fuck out.

My Nintendo DS has split screen

OH SNAP what now bitch?!

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2015, 15:37 Verno

InBlack wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 02:31:
Kxmode invested his belief, and entrusted a thousand dollars to CR and crew, trusting them to build the game they pitched. A hundred goalpost changes later, with nothing to show for it really, can you really blame him for being pissed?

He gave a thousand bucks to a Kickstarter knowing full well that it might go nowhere. I know you're obsessed with naysaying that game but really, take a step back and look at what you just asked.

Maybe instead of waging e-war on a video game product you guys should just chock it up to lessons learned and move on. I thought I was too invested in this hobby, sheesh.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2015, 15:18 Verno

Ahumado wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 10:43:
Anyone that celebrates this day has no idea what it represents

Hahaha please by all means wise teacher, inform them!

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 14, 2015, 15:01 Verno

bhcompy wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 14:29:
I already use NoScript for that. I shouldn't have to enable it on sites I've already whitelisted. Flash serves its purpose and I shouldn't be put out to use websites that utilize it. This is similar to the opt-in Java bullshit that Firefox and Chrome put in. I trust the websites I go to and don't want to enable Java every time I want to use it.

Ok but that's an optional addon, is it fair for them to assume everyone is using that or to make a decision based on their default installation? I don't recall bypassing this being much of a problem in the past, clicking enable and remember wasn't too much work for me when I couldn't update right that second. I'm not sure how you can really trust a website considering the majority run ads from networks they don't control but I digress. Most people who use browsers don't take those kinds of precautions and good luck educating them. Sometimes these things are done with a larger context in mind.

The block notification has an update option if there is one available anyway, the goal is to make sure people aren't running plugins with 0 days which seems fine to me.

This comment was edited on Jul 14, 2015, 15:11.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 14, 2015, 14:13 Verno

It is pretty stupid that you can't even redownload PT if you already have the license for the demo.  

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 14, 2015, 13:55 Verno

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 10:43:
nin wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 09:16:
Mozilla's Firefox now blocks Flash by default.

And nothing of value was lost...

I personally rather it not. If I live in fear from a vulnerability, then I'd live in constant fear.

"The news comes after a seemingly never-ending string of security concerns about the once popular software"

The f'in O/S is a seemingly never-ending string of security concerns.

So manually enable it if you want to use it. Frankly it's a huge problem that needed to be addressed, I'm glad they and others are now forcing this on users and developers so we can move past the shitty Flash era.

News Comments > No Star Wars Battlefront Split Screen on PC
18. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Split Screen on PC Jul 14, 2015, 13:45 Verno

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 13:07:
What the hell? If there's any platform where split-screen makes more sense it's the PC, where it's powerful to run it properly without massively downrezzing the assets.

It annoys me when features are removed on the more capable platform. I often play splitscreen with friends on PC (GRID 2, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, etc). Dick move EA. Not that I ever buy any EA games - I boycott them on principle.

Yeah it's frankly a bizarre decision that doesn't really make any sense. Consoles are the platform with resource problems where split screen should be iffier.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
7. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Jul 13, 2015, 14:17 Verno

Saboth wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 22:03:
ColoradoHoudini wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 20:48:
As someone in the cybersecurity field, the other item of note (aside from the drug issue/dont work to work for "the man" issue)..is that the DoD/Feds pay about 70% salary compared to civilian sector.

For example:
I make 97k a year right now doing Information Assurance for the DoD (Air Force contractor).. if I switch to the civilian sector, I have a job at 140k right now lined up. Now lower that to 70k for new people (or about there).. versus 100k for the same new person, just in the civilian world.

Why not take the higher paying job? I like the environment and the people.. being prior Air Force myself.

That's because you have cretin...I mean certain politicans that blab on and on about "government spending" and want to underfund the IRS, EPA, and other agencies so they can't compete with the private sector. Instead of wasting trillions and trillions on useless wars in other countries, how about we funnel some of that money back into revamping our cyber security for the entire country? (government and private).

Err why would I do that when not doing it gets me a boat and a cottage paid for by other people?

17495 Comments. 875 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo