Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 17526 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
18. Re: Sunday Interviews Aug 31, 2015, 08:43 Verno

Wetworks24 wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 00:10:
I have no sympathy for Notch. With his wealth he could easily hire himself a personal trainer, a personal chef to prepare only the best / healthiest meals for him, the best therapist in the world to cry to every week.

He has all the tools to get his life in order, he just doesn't want to take advantage of them. It sounds like he needs some discipline and structure in his life.

Yeah I have to agree with this. He sounds like hes just mired in self pity, perhaps due to some mild depression. The irony is that he has tools other people in his situation don't possess. He has almost unlimited time and money to get his shit together. Bummed about weight? You can install a personal gym and trainer in your home. Hell he could buy a whole fitness chain. Hire a 4 star chef to create delicious but healthy meals in your own home. Get them to teach you how to cook. Go to Cuba and learn how to dance, everyone fucking dances there its a way of life. Those people are broke as shit and some of the most happy I've ever seen.

But it's easier to sit on twitter, depressed and watch life pass you by while interest accrues in your bank account I guess. Doesn't sound like much of a life to me.

Playing: Dark Souls 2: Scholars of the First Sin
Watching: Mr. Robot
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2015, 16:14 Verno

ItBurn wrote on Aug 28, 2015, 16:07:
I feel like when you analyze Prometheus, you forget, every other movie ever. Stupid sh*t is in every movie ever, and scientists can complain about every possible movie, even Interstellar, which was fact checked by a renowned physicist(at some point he was like, f*ck it, this part is going to have to magically work, because we still need to make a fun movie)... Just like a game, a movie isn't the real world and a movie isn't only about the character's decisions...

Suspension of disbelief only goes so far though. It might've been fine for a few of the things he mentioned but Prometheus has a long list and some introduce problems with the plot which makes it worse for some viewers. I agree with him, the inconsistency was a problem and it took me right out of the movie at several points.

I don't think it was a horrible film by any means but it was a frustrating one.

Hay guys, not many people signing up for the 2015 league yet - a warning, YOU MUST JOIN THE 2015 YEAR - your 2014 profile is not automagically added to 2015. Treat it as a whole new league.

When I logged into the site this year it gave me the option to automatically join 2015 for what its worth. It'll probably take an OOTB announcement and a few days to get everyone signed up again.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2015, 16:07 Verno

Everyone who says they "Like/Love" prometheus pretty much just likes flashing pretty pictures and a few of the ideas but it's a total shit movie because a movie needs a solid plot and logic to it for it to be good if its a serious movie. Prometheus would be a pretty terrible comedy but rated better than it currently it is if it was tried to pass off as a comedy of errors.. But it's not.

I wouldn't go that far. Prometheus explored some of the issues with deity worship and human origin which I thought was interesting, I certainly wouldn't peg it as a pure spectacle film like a Bay monstrosity. That being said I agree that the plot was too convoluted and characterization was maddeningly inconsistent. That along with some really poor casting ruined it for me.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
27. Re: Evening Safety Dance Aug 28, 2015, 15:49 Verno

This is the gotcha, the whole reason why 10 is free. They are getting money figuring you out and selling you. I simply do not want that and that is a choice we all get to make. It is real though, it isn't hocus pocus like you suggest. There were several other good replies back to you as well. I do have updates off on 7. I can block some of their extra shit to if I want, I just would have to block a lot more shit in 10.

Windows 10 is free because they want a large install base to promote their store and to unify the user base across devices. It's not even truly free, its just a single year promotion. I highly doubt they're making bank monetizing your start menu clicks dude. You can already block everything in 10 except for a single telemetry setting. That's it as far as I can tell, what is this other stuff? People keep vaguely suggesting this mountain of outgoing privacy info that doesn't seem to exist in my network dumps and resort to general rhetoric when I ask for specifics. There was a few small functions that were left in from Insider that have been patched in recent updates, that's about it. I've done some traffic dumps to make sure because I don't trust any corporation these days, let alone ones who backdoored Skype for the NSA.

That being said at some point to use a product you're going to have to make some sort of trust trade off, especially if its connected to the internet. If you don't trust Windows Update on Windows 10 then you can't trust it on Windows 7 either, its the same company behind the product. Turning off auto-update is kind of laughable as a defense mechanism and a bit naive, Windows Update has its own internal updateable components that it checks regardless of your settings and its not like it would be difficult for Microsoft to slip a backdoor by you through a background operation with svchost or another innocuous equivalent. The only way to be certain is real traffic filtering (block everything then whitelist) and packet inspection. Most people here had no clue how to do any of these things in previous discussions which tells me they don't really care that much about their privacy.

For the people that do care then you're kind of SOL unless you're willing to compromise or do your own filtering on that single setting. You're connecting a machine to the internet, if you aren't ready to watch it and don't trust the vendor then you should really stop using the product and find something else. I hear Steam on Linux has 1000 games playable now so that's certainly an option and I wish you the best with it. I don't really care if Microsoft tried to know which store apps I had installed or rather I don't care enough to stop using the products. If someone else cares that much and wants to make a stand on principle then hey more power to them. My only comment would be to at least make it a real one.

This is the worst problem with 10. The second one and I can't help but stop laughing on that is people are still installing Classic Shell on 10 because all of a sudden MS can't understand what people want from the Start menu anymore, I guess the right guy left the building.

I'm not really sure who is actually using the start menu anymore outside of old people but its perfectly functional in 10 and you can just remove all of the store cruft. There is no need for classic shell or etc, I have 2 systems now without it and I was someone who needed it with Windows 8. I wish it had a few more customization features but I'm just glad they caved on the mess that was the Start Screen in Windows 8.1.

That took way too long to type up, time to grab a coffee.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2015, 15:57.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2015, 10:30 Verno

Hey that's cool. I didn't mind Transcendence, it was really ambitious in scope and those are the hardest to pull off.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2015, 10:12 Verno

I just hope Lindelof isn't involved in the second film. I really wanted to like Prometheus but it was such a flawed movie in ways that were really frustrating. The Honest Trailer for that movie really nailed it. I wanted to enjoy the broader themes and subtext (a lot of religious imagery in that movie) but the script was a nightmare.

I am pretty stoked about the Neill Blomkamp Alien film too.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 28, 2015, 09:49 Verno

I remember last month there was all sorts of consternation about Firefox taking an aggressive stance on Flash, I wonder what the reaction will be from Chrome users. Personally I have no use for Flash anymore and just wish a quick death but I recognize many people need it to play browser games or for marketing purposes.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2015, 09:42 Verno

First week of pick em is gonna be a blood bath, so many uncertainties. I followed the draft but didn't keep up much on trades, gotta read the rosters again. Thanks for setting things up Batman.

23. Re: Evening Safety Dance Aug 28, 2015, 09:35 Verno

Many of those updates have nothing to do with telemetry data and regardless I'm running Windows 10 so none of that is necessary but thanks I guess. Since the Windows Updates on Tuesday I have no more outbound telemetry data to Microsoft on Windows 10 either. I'm very happy with Windows 10 after I disabled Cortana and their useless Bing search engine. Lots of other improvements and they finally made store apps resizeable, got rid of that mobile/tablet first design mantra and so on.  

News Comments > Orcs Must Die! Unchained Patched
3. Re: Orcs Must Die! Unchained Patched Aug 28, 2015, 09:23 Verno

Yeah I was a huge fan of the first two games and talked them up a lot here. Sadly they went off in a bizarre direction with the franchise and now I want nothing to do with their software.  

21. Re: Evening Safety Dance Aug 28, 2015, 08:49 Verno

So we finally find out its already in Windows and no one cared before, much ado about nothing I guess. At least we can finally put the "durr Windows 10 microsux" stuff to bed. The tweaker mentioned in this article is just a collection of switches already inside of Windows in the Privacy panel and through GPO. I guess it might help some people to have everything in one simple interface though. I have no outbound telemetry traffic to Microsoft after disabling everything, they issued a series of updates the past few days which probably took care of a few leftover functions that were leaking data from the old Insider builds.

Im sure none of that shit you turned off will turn itself on again..:

I'm surprised the contradiction here is lost on you. If you don't trust Microsoft to turn things on by themselves in Windows 10, why would you trust them not to do so in any version of Windows? They could easily just label a Windows Update as something different and bam keylogger. Are you personally auditing each update, its file and network access? Come now, it's time for this silliness to end. Microsoft is selling Windows 10 to everyone from enterprise users to mom and pop, no one is going to tolerate them magically turning on things and keylogging you. The lawsuits alone would give Microsoft pause, forgetting any potential for upsetting their golden goose in the enterprise world.

News Comments > PC Assassin's Creed Syndicate Delayed
18. Re: PC Assassin's Creed Syndicate Delayed Aug 27, 2015, 12:50 Verno

They've just made too many of them, I can't keep up and don't really want to. The meta narrative is boring, masturbatory crap and while I love the artwork and animations the actual gameplay puts me to sleep. Ubisoft does terrible open world stuff, totally bland and unengaging beyond the spiffy art/graphics. Rockstar does worlds that feel alive, Ubisoft games feel like I'm in a big store filled with mannequins.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 27, 2015, 12:33 Verno

Hahaha political corruption in Rhode Island? Impossible!  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 27, 2015, 12:09 Verno

InBlack wrote on Aug 27, 2015, 08:23:
I'll even concede that you and anyone tech savy enough (including myself here) can disable the adware/spyware shit without a lot of hassle. However MOST people are about as tech savy as a doorknob. MOST people will click "I agree" to whatever Microsoft puts up, and wont think twice about it. MOST people will allow their Win10 machine to install, patch, sniff, and generally bloat their PC with little or no knowledge of these things. This is what I was getting at.

See this is why you should install Windows 10 in a VM and see for yourself because thats flawed logic. You get to control all of the privacy related toggles at installation time and they're all labeled. You can also adjust them at any time in the dedicated Privacy menu. Even the most illiterate users can click a toggle and if they can't be bothered then nothing was saving them anyway. Those same people would go online, download retarded screensavers and meme generators with actual spyware, login to Facebook and share away their secrets. For anyone who cares they still retain all of the control they want and no one makes them use things like Bing or Cortana.

The only hold out is a single telemetics setting that Microsoft is taking a beating over despite it being fairly innocuous and will likely back down on soon. Comparing features which use the internet like Cortana to spyware is simply incorrect. I don't like Cortana, I think its ridiculous but no one makes me use it and its easily turned off. Every version of Windows has had features I don't care about and Windows 10 is no different, I just ignore or disable those things and move on. The retarded start menu in Windows 8.1 didn't stop many people from using it, they installed a 10MB app and life goes on.

But since you care so much about the users, where is the rage over Apple and Google collecting mountains of data without apology or controls like Microsoft offers? You own an android phone but surely you jest, google is a privacy nightmare. Oh wait, you don't use your phone to email so you don't care. But what about the users who do use their phones, you want to be an advocate for them on the PC but not on the phone? Won't someone think of grandma?!

This comment was edited on Aug 27, 2015, 12:21.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter
44. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Aug 27, 2015, 11:01 Verno

It will be after, PC first even leaving Mac outside looking in. I believe ultimately it comes to all the same platforms and linux quicker than D:OS did. Sven answered this question for a Xbox One Kickstart lurker yesterday.

Thanks for the info. It will be interesting to see how they port the original and if other platforms will influence the PC version in any way.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2015, 10:01 Verno

Blacklist is a mediocre show that just happens to have James Spader in it. I like watching James Spader be sarcastic and witty as much as the next guy but hes all that show has going for it.

The GoT complaints are hilarious, people getting upset about what they willingly ponied up for in the first place.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 27, 2015, 09:53 Verno

After Jivaro pointed it out yesterday I found several other websites doing autoplay of that video. I wrote a few to express some consternation, I hate any auto-loading videos, let alone ones with graphic violence. This is one area where I hope my lawsuit happy brethren don't let me down and force the issue in court.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Sells 6M
2. Re: The Witcher 3 Sells 6M Aug 27, 2015, 09:49 Verno

I was reading last night that they made $63m USD in profit last quarter on the backs of this game and their galaxy launch, kudos to CDPR. Witcher 3 was fantastic and while I don't use GOG as much as Steam, I appreciate it being around.  

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter
42. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Aug 27, 2015, 09:39 Verno

Does anyone know if the sequel is going to be multiplatform too? Be interesting to see if that's going to be a factor in development. I don't see anything on the Kickstarter but its a pretty long read so maybe I missed it.  

News Comments > Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers
23. Re: Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers Aug 27, 2015, 09:05 Verno

|RaptoR| wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 21:08:
The hate runs thick on Bluesnews comment threads

It has certainly gone overboard in the past year but in this case CliffyB has earned the ire many times over.

17526 Comments. 877 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo