Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 17360 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Mafia 3 Confirmed: Full Reveal Next Week
18. Re: Mafia 3 Confirmed: Full Reveal Next Week Jul 28, 2015, 12:58 Verno

Creston wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 12:54:
Cool, but please let me actually DO something in your beautiful, beautiful open city. Like, let me go out into it and just enjoy it freely, rather than having to do it during a mission.

Yep and don't lock those activities behind DLC.

Playing: The Witcher 3
Watching: True Detective
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Fallout 4 "Basically Done"
7. Re: Fallout 4 Jul 28, 2015, 11:27 Verno

Flatline wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 11:21:
I'm sure I'll play it, and probably enjoy it. But I suspect it won't be on par with NV.

Strangely enough I found the start of new vegas to be really kind of a letdown compared to F3, and the game traditionally doesn't "begin" for me for some reason until I hit Novac.

Of course, when you hit New Vegas proper the game explodes open and becomes teh awesome. Really wish Obsidian was helming this one.

That's kinda where I'm at. I'm going to enjoy it I'm sure, the exploration stuff is always really well done. Really looking forward to this.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2015, 10:19 Verno

It would be nice to get a break from the humidity for a few days. After the winter we had I shouldn't bitch too much but when its this humid even grilling is a chore.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jul 28, 2015, 08:41 Verno

I don't mind updates auto-installing but manufacturers pushing drivers to auto-install is too much. There was no reason to change it from Optional in previous versions of Windows. Undo this idiocy please Microsoft.  

News Comments > Steam Security Hole Closed
10. Re: Steam Security Hole Closed Jul 27, 2015, 10:25 Verno

That's a pretty ridiculous security hole but oh well at least its fixed now.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 27, 2015, 09:42 Verno

This one is less serious but I've emailed a few times over the years to point out that you're passing the account username and password in plaintext (in the URL even) when someone goes to the change password under account details. Anyone can test this themselves, click change password under Account Options while logged in with the cookie set, look at the URL. I know Chatbear is old and creaky but it really shouldn't be done that way for a number of reasons, security and bad design being at the top. I doubt there is an easy fix as it would likely require rewriting a big chunk of the authentication modules but I've never received a response so I wasn't sure if you knew or not.

Ok that surfer video was kind of scary and awesome at the same time. Surfers are kind of insane...

Yeah I've tried it a few times and couldn't get into it. I prefer diving and snorkeling for my ocean funtimes.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 27, 2015, 09:13 Verno

Take an underwater selfie with a great white next time, save yourself the money.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10ish
8. Re: Steam Top 10ish Jul 27, 2015, 08:41 Verno

It's a great game, very fun and even when you're losing it doesn't tend to get frustrating. Simple to get into with a high skill ceiling. It's one of the few non-Nintendo games that both my girlfriend and I enjoy equally.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 24, 2015, 14:18 Verno

Yes its hilarious to see all of those broken households for the sake of some vicarious entertainment and some misguided affirmation of your own morals Rolleyes

They sure got what they deserved derp derp!

News Comments > Shadowrun: Hong Kong Next Month
1. Re: Shadowrun: Hong Kong Next Month Jul 24, 2015, 12:46 Verno

Fantastic, already finished the previous games and really enjoyed them. Returns had some rough edges but Dragonfall was the shit, great story and characters.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 24, 2015, 11:45 Verno

Cabbies have significant additional costs saddled on them by the city and state/province, that's why they're so angry. It seems pretty reasonable to me. Uber is a really weird company. They treat everyone as subcontractors and I'm not a fan of their lack of transparency on insurance coverage. There are good cabs and shitty cabs but I feel like at least with a regular cab I get some real recourse over a bad situation. With Uber I'm not so sure. Anyways new business model clashes with old, etc etc. Should be interesting to see how it shakes out.

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2015, 11:50.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 24, 2015, 10:53 Verno

He's certainly in complete denial about many things, an annoying read.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2015, 10:48 Verno

Weren't you looking into getting a bearded dragon awhile back Blue? Anything ever come of it?

Edit: nevermind, just read the sentence again and saw that you didn't.

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2015, 11:25.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 24, 2015, 10:25 Verno

The only way I would go into the iOS world is if I could jailbreak the phone, too many of the apps I use are locked down or restricted in some way. The upside would be better quality of life with other apps I guess, some Android apps are really afterthoughts.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
13. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 11:02 Verno

I actually like it better then APB. I noticed that on some sites i was starting to get ads with APB, which you can reblock but was annoying. On further investigation i found that they sometimes let slip some ads for revenue from certain websites

To be fair to Adblock Plus, I think you can disable this in the options. Uncheck "Allow some non-intrusive advertising" if I remember correctly. If they are doing something else in addition to that then that's pretty shitty of them. I agree though, I prefer uBlock to Adblock Plus, the latter is a pig on memory.

Do sites get money just from displaying ads or do you have to click on them? I will consider turning adblock off for Blue's, but if he make nothing unless I click, then there is no reason to have it off, I won't click.

Both, it depends on the network and the kind of campaigns they run. Some are CPM which is essentially impressions, some are CPC which is per click and I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting. Then you've got Google Adsense and other programs like that, Adsense is one of the biggest money makers for websites.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2015, 09:59 Verno

Maybe they found something very high on the Earth Similarity Index, that would be interesting. I'm reading Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson right now, its about a generation ship settling earthlike planets in the future. Great book so far, highly recommended.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 09:47 Verno

I agree with Darks, an ad blocker is a necessity these days. I use uBlock personally, I find ABP pretty high on memory use. Ads are now the highest vector for malware installations, users are more conditioned about email than they used to be and you can see the shift in the malware world.  

News Comments > Win10 Gamer Primer
50. Re: Win10 Gamer Primer Jul 23, 2015, 09:38 Verno

InBlack wrote on Jul 23, 2015, 09:28:
Verno wrote on Jul 23, 2015, 09:23:
"Fans" lol, now who is taking things personally? I've been very negative on Windows where appropriate. There are literally toggles in the OS to disable those things by the way, you would know that if you used it.

Sure Im taking it personally, you started attacking me for apparently being too 'clueless', 'unintelligent', 'inexperienced' and too busy 'talking out my ass' but hey, maybe now Im imagining things too...

"attacking" you? That's an interesting choice of words. You are talking out of your ass, that's not an attack, you admitted you haven't used it at all. Maybe its a rude choice of words but you've been fairly abrasive yourself ITT. For all you know the OS just BSODs every user on boot or is the most stable thing ever, you just don't know. I never even used the word unintelligent in this thread BTW, that's your imagination.

Instead of taking it personally, try taking a step back and maybe actually evaluate it so you can come to your own conclusions instead of someone else. That's all I was saying which I don't think is an unfair point to make. If you're happy with not doing so then whatever but don't be surprised if someone like me dismisses your opinion out of hand when it has no foundation.

To address your specific points from my earlier post that you quoted:

- You can disable Cortana entirely with a UI toggle that is built in.
- You can disable web searches entirely with a UI toggle that is built in.
- The Xbox app is preinstalled and needs to be removed via Powershell. Or you can just ignore its existence, its benign. No one makes you load it up.

I don't like Cortana, a voice assistance is stupid on a desktop PC. But some people might like it. I don't know. It's a feature in Windows, they are many others I love and many I loathe. I disable the ones I don't like and move on.

48. Re: Win10 Gamer Primer Jul 23, 2015, 09:23 Verno

"Fans" lol, now who is taking things personally? I've been very negative on Windows where appropriate. There are literally toggles in the OS to disable those things by the way, you would know that if you used it. I don't care if you like Windows 10 or not but if you're going to be critical of something then you should probably have some experience with it.

45. Re: Win10 Gamer Primer Jul 23, 2015, 09:04 Verno

InBlack wrote on Jul 23, 2015, 08:55:
Why did you take my opinion on the matter so personally Verno? I was responding to Task for that moronic "golden age of software development" crap he was spouting on about and besides, was anything I said not factual? Do I need to install Windows to KNOW that I have to use a firewall to get rid of the invasive shit???

I don't see where I took anything personally. You've just been in this thread from the start parroting things that you have no experience with. Yes, many things you said you were not factual or at least inaccurately stated. For example most of the telemetrics are collected in every evaluation version of Windows for testing purposes and disabled in RTM builds. The stuff that remains is optional and can be toggled off. I personally block those servers at the router level but that's just for my own comfort, I don't see them collecting reams of data in packet dumps. You made some false claims about compatibility and thrown around vague terminology about older versions of Windows as if they automatically apply here.

I don't see how suggesting you actually spending 20 minutes installing it on a VM so you're not just talking out of your ass is taking something personally. Maybe you install it and still hate it, fine at least you tried it and can talk about it with some authority. But whatever, clearly I'm wasting my time here.

17360 Comments. 868 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo