Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 15993 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
91. Re: etc. Oct 17, 2014, 10:49 Verno

sdgundamx wrote on Oct 17, 2014, 10:13:
But what about the premise that the representation of women, gays, and non-Caucasian ethnicities in games needs to change? Or how about the premise that how women, gays, and non-Caucasian ethnicities are treated in the industry needs to change? How about the premise of how women, gays, and non-Caucasian ethnicities are treated in various game lobbies or in-game chats needs to change?

I don't grant those premises to be blunt or at least not all of them. If anything I think racial representation is more of a problem than anything else but even that is changing already. I don't think anything "needs to change", I think change is natural in this circumstance and we are seeing more and more games like that as the audience for them appears. This is a business and if there is a need it will be filled.

agree with you that the nebulous idea of "changing gaming" can't possibly go anywhere. But certainly there are specific areas of gaming that can be improved? I used to think just ignoring the people who were causing problems was the way to deal with the situation but given everything that's happened lately I've come to the conclusion that these people see silence on the issue from moderate gamers as tacit agreement for what they're doing.

The trouble with "oh well we just want X improved" is that its usually accompanied by a demand that others do so and that you're "against women" if you don't agree with it which is again, the problem many of us have had from the beginning here. I can think that there is sexism in gaming but not agree that its a significant problem at this point in time, that doesn't make me some horrible person who hates women. I think there is a lot of sexist media that is not in mens favor *gasp* but I'm not going to get all MRA about it.

You can't solve human nature, there will always be people causing problems. Making sweeping generalizations and lumping everyone together and telling people that they have to act otherwise they're being complicit is just as asinine as the guy screaming on Xbox Live to me. And again, this is a "problem" that is solving itself over time, there is no crisis here. All women need to do to effect the changes they want is buy products and I don't accept that the industry is creating products that only appeal to men, I think there is a lot of variety out there across the many platforms and devices for all demographics. All of the social commentary in the world makes no difference if GTA sells 35 million copies and Mirrors Edge can't even sustain a profit.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
88. Re: etc. Oct 17, 2014, 09:20 Verno

Prez wrote on Oct 17, 2014, 03:06:
I think you are correct; but how many times do outsiders who criticize gaming do so out of ignorance because they never took the time to learn about them and the culture? Fox News anyone? The reason I criticize Sarkeesian for this is that she misrepresented her reasons for making the videos; she claimed she was a gamer when she wasn't, then went on to use misrepresentations, half-truths, and outright lies as evidence of gaming's supposed inherent misogyny.

I think a lot of people approach this with a personal moral stance and then just interpret everything to fit that narrow view. I don't hear a lot of women acknowledging how geared toward them many aspects of media are now. Men and women enjoy a lot of different kinds of entertainment because we're not the same and while equality is a lofty goal, it is a bit naive when you look at society as a whole. Is it wrong that gaming as a hobby that is mostly enjoyed by men (in the AAA market) is geared towards entertaining men? I don't decry modern television networks for unrealistic depictions of men and not being fair to mens issues. If ABC only wants to air ridiculous womens stuff then I change the channel.

I think gaming is very forward in this regard and doesn't get credit from people like her who just choose to approach from an angle instead of considering the whole picture. I don't have a problem with a game like Grand Theft Auto depicting horrible people (men and women) so as long there are games where that isn't the case. In terms of the community itself it's really hard to make generalizations about it, each one is so different. I find Xbox Live to be a cesspool so if that was my sole exposure to gaming then I'm sure I would share her opinion but I've also found many other great servers and communities where bigotry, racism and sexism is not tolerated.

I find the whole premise that gaming needs to change is very flawed, I think gaming has been changing for a long time already. Some people just want things done their way and are trying to force others to adopt their strict views without discussion. That has been my problem with this whole thing from the beginning.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
6. Re: Evening Safety Dance Oct 17, 2014, 08:58 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 23:02:
Just a few friendly reminders on why we need privacy.

1. Why 'I have nothing to hide' is the wrong way to think about surveillance.

2. You break the law every day. It's estimated the average American commits three felonies per day without knowing. And those are just Federal laws. If all that is recorded, it can be held against you to control you.

3. Never talk to the police. This quite entertaining video should be seen by everyone. Here's an article that covers similar points if you don't want to watch.

There's a good TED from Glenn Greenwald all about this. He pretty much destroys any argument about privacy not being important.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2014, 16:08 Verno

Cutter wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 15:55:
Dammit I almost had a perfect week last week except for the Seahawks game and somehow I missed picking the Bengels game entirely - I've done that three times now - which I would have picked.

Yeah a few times I changed something I forgot to hit "Submit my picks" at the bottom. Sometimes it does save them even if you don't click it which is the weird thing. That nailed me a few times before as well or at least its a good excuse

News Comments > Morning Patches
3. Re: Morning Patches Oct 16, 2014, 14:21 Verno

Hahaha sonofabitch it figures I finally finish Wasteland 2 and they fix California like 2 days later. That place was busted like a pinata, I had to redo quests several times and at one point had like 10-15 saves going due to all of the broken triggers and other nonsense.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
44. Re: etc., etc. Oct 16, 2014, 11:09 Verno

sdgundamx wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 10:53:
I'm just gonna take a guess that you don't have much experience with formal debate? Because that's exactly what it is like. Each side is given a limited amount of time to talk and try to convince the audience of their position. It's not a dialogue in any sense, although sometimes one team will refer to what the other team said earlier in order to provide a rebuttal.

I've observed a few but not much experience personally beyond that. This isn't a formal debate though, I didn't see anyone pick a format, theres no speaker or moderator and so on. This is effectively a set of youtube videos and a press filter. It's also not equal or representative, I'm sure there are many videos rebutting her material but most of them don't get picked up by a biased press. I have no idea why someone is toting thunderf00t but I am not that person, just like the people responsible for doxxing and censorship against GG hopefully aren't representative of that whole "movement".

But I also think people feel the industry is playing catchup and not moving fast enough to make more titles like that.

I disagree. When you look at the significant gap in sales demographics for AAA games I think if anything the industry is a bit ahead of the curve. Men and women buy different kinds of games because we have different taste. I don't think the industry needs to go out of its way to do anything, its all happening naturally and if there is a market there then publishers will fill it, they care about money not gender politics. I want women to buy more games with strong female leads but many of them are simply interested in more casual fare and that's not anyones fault. I don't think forcefully making games suit an agenda that isn't part of the teams original creative vision is a solution to that problem either. Whenever its done in other formats (movies and tv for example), that sort of blatant pandering can even result in reinforcing dumb gender stereotypes.

As far as the Hitman thing goes--cherry-picking works both ways. I see that example called out to death but no one ever tries to defeat the rest of her argument. In a real debate, rebutting one example from the opposing team in no way wins you the entire debate yet a lot of people seem to think that "Oh, she cherry picked this example" means "We won! GG!"

I'm sure there are others, I know Jerykk and a few other posters made detailed lists but I can only speak for the videos I personally watched. Since I know you'll ask, you can click on his username and type "Anita" into the search box

22. Re: etc., etc. Oct 16, 2014, 10:50 Verno

Click on his username and you get a complete history of his posts. I would just ask him in a thread next time it comes up though.

And what went on at reddit was not reasonable at all IMO. Instead of moderating a few specific users entire sub reddits and topics were being nuked by people with personal ties to Zoe Quinn. That's without going into what went with twitter and youtube too. Anyways all of this well trodden ground and the "conversation" moved on awhile ago to be about broader issues that people can't resolve amicably because both sides are just interested in one view point.

41. Re: etc., etc. Oct 16, 2014, 10:24 Verno

Except talking at people is not debating. Who is she debating exactly? I've never had a chance to challenge this argument in a proper format, so why should I treat it as such? I don't think shes interested in actual debate, shes interested in presenting one sided scenarios without considering reasoned responses. I've watched a few of her videos and just had to shake my head at her conclusions. I was also annoyed that she cherry picks examples to make her point without considering alternatives (her take on Hitman for example).

I don't really see that she or anyone else has painted a convincing picture that there is some gender crisis in gaming that needs resolution either. I think gaming is probably one hobby that doesn't get the credit it deserves for being forward in this regard. Despite the massive gap in gender representation in AAA games for example, we're seeing increasing numbers of female protagonists and strong female roles.

20. Re: etc., etc. Oct 16, 2014, 10:14 Verno

sdgundamx wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 10:10:
I dislike the implication that I wouldn't change my mind if you present credible information. I already told you I would. I'll take a look at it. I've seen the 8chan stuff firsthand, so if it's on that level you've convinced me.

I didn't make that implication, I was just saying he has a lot more info than you will have time to read it Like literally he has hundreds of images, posts, etc.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2014, 10:09 Verno

I have a Fitbit somewhere in a closet that you're welcome to if you want it. I have no use for the thing anymore. They are kind of cool for awhile but you get bored of it eventually even with the badges and other silliness. My girlfriend bought it for me and I used it religiously for a year and then discovered it really made no difference to my cardio since its mostly hiking or climbing. The sleep analysis functionality in those things and phone apps really just use your movement in bed and its no substitute for an actual sleep study at a clinic so I wouldn't put any credence in it. Anyways send me a PM if interested, I can probably ship it to a PO box or whatever for $5, its pretty tiny. I don't have the original box anymore but I do have the USB charge thing and the belt clip.

You're probably just fine with a phone app for pedometer stuff though, it might not be as accurate but I'm sure its pretty close.

18. Re: etc., etc. Oct 16, 2014, 09:39 Verno

I think it's well documented that has happened on the opposite side, ask ASeven, he has a literal mountain of information, more than you will likely ever want to read. It's been posted in most of these threads over time as well and on some GG related sites.

Both sides have made coordinated efforts and I would note that GG didn't have the kind of coordinated media support we're seeing from the anti-GG folks (for lack of a better term).

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
23. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 16, 2014, 09:28 Verno

Man Prez, you have missed out on a lot of quality TV but I envy you in a way, you have a massive back catalog of the best stuff to keep you going for awhile. When Boardwalk Empire ends I'm kind of between things, a lot of "okay" stuff but nothing I love like those shows.  

29. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2014, 09:13 Verno

Julio wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 08:59:
As am I - it's too bad there isn't more support for stopping travel to ensure an outbreak doesn't happen. Surprised terrorists and serial killers aren't traveling to Africa to pickup ebola and then visiting other countries...

No, you misunderstand me. I am referring to the people using panicked language and who accuse the government of doing this intentionally. The sort who seem to actually want this to happen as it would confirm some bizarre paranoia. I don't think a travel ban is worthwhile, as someone else posted in another thread it would likely cause economic harm and do very little to actually impact any spread of Ebola. Both the CDC and several notable medical professionals not employed by the government have said that travel restrictions are generally not helpful in stopping the spread and can actual make contact tracing worse. Contact tracing is critical to stopping an outbreak before it begins.

Due to the way ebola is spread we aren't at much risk anyway, people are just letting their fears manifest and I have to say seeing that side of a few people here is a bit disturbing. People who previously preached about open borders and blah blah suddenly want them bolted down. Some who talk about helping other countries suddenly want to let them flounder and deal with this on their own. True colors and all that I guess.

38. Re: etc., etc. Oct 16, 2014, 09:09 Verno

I think it's perfectly okay to question Anitas credibility and people don't have to be nice about it either, that's really their choice. You can attack the argument and the person presenting it if you think their motives are dubious, its done all the time in debates.  

16. Re: etc., etc. Oct 16, 2014, 09:03 Verno

sdgundamx wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 08:48:
The key word in what you wrote is seems like. What's your evidence that this was a coordinated effort? The timing? Because that isn't evidence, it's coincidence. Whereas on the 8-chan front their efforts in these areas and their ties to the death threats (specifically the one against Wu) are well-documented.

Evidence is a strong word to use, I'm not convicting people of a crime. But if you want the basis for my opinion, I experienced it personally when posting on reddit and people were getting relatively innocuous posts and subreddits nuked. There were also efforts to get twitter accounts locked and people like Quinn & her supporters issued false DMCAs on Youtube, I literally saw it with my own eyes. As for the medias role, they had their own little mailing list of like minded people and I don't believe coincidence has them all coming up with supportive material in a short period of time. ASeven has a wealth of this documentation, feel free to hit him up for it, I don't collect the links in a big bookmark file or something to satisfy others.

People can argue GamerGate is "ugly" because of a vocal minority but I can say the same thing about the opposition which is absolutely true and they engaged in the exact same behavior.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2014, 08:40 Verno

garrywong wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 20:55:
What I'm afraid of is that it's going to take a minor crisis where a lot of people get hurt or die unnecessarily before the world governments take proper action to isolate and get rid of all human ebola infections once and for all. And although that's par for the course for most things, I still hate it to see needless loss of life and suffering when all of this can be done now instead.

Considering where its typically contracted (under developed countries) I don't see how this is a possibility. We're already making rapid vaccination progress so I don't think this will be a long term issue for us in North America, the countries that can't afford that vaccination on the other hand are a different story.

I have to say I'm really disappointed in a few posters around here who almost seem to desire an outbreak so they can fulfill some bizarre conspiracy theory fetish. The idea that the government wants this to happen is literally insane, the government is all about control and a virus is not easily controlled.

14. Re: etc., etc. Oct 16, 2014, 08:30 Verno

Second off, I think we can make a clear distinction between the GG movement which--whether they like it or not--has a dedicated group of people (i.e. 8-chan and others) actively seeking to stir shit up through doxxing, intimidation, etc. in the name of GG, and the supposed "other side" that... simply doesn't. There's no where near that level of coordination.

So since we're making broad generalizations, I guess the "anti GG" people are also all about stirring shit up, doxxing, intimidation and etc. They are after all the same people who engaged in censorship, doxxing and other forms of intimidation since this began. Nowhere near that level of coordination? Funny you could have fooled me when subreddits were being nuked, twitter accounts doxxed or ToS'd through false complaints and the media came out with a bunch of like minded stories in a short period of time. Seems more coordinated than a hashtag group to me.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 15, 2014, 15:01 Verno

43% of Americans believe they or one of their relatives will contract Ebola. So there's a 43% chance they're not kidding.

Haha wow that's crazy. People really need to stop freaking about large font, bolded headlines. You're more likely to die from catching the flu. The government is not trying to infect anyone either, that is just some looney tunes stuff.

News Comments > etc.
27. Re: etc. Oct 15, 2014, 14:55 Verno

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 13:55:
The advantage here is GG is also getting positive press, precisely because this issue has gotten bigger. Which is partly why anti-GG people are freaking out on the media end. They are not used to being replied to on anything approaching an equal level.

Yeah pretty much nailed it there. They expected the same sort of one sided bullshit we've been seeing for months thanks to gaming editorials and other nonsense. Now that people aren't reacting the way they want them to its freak out time. Oh well, looks good on them for being dumb and lumping everyone together when people bitched about it time and time again.

News Comments > Game Reviews
16. Re: Game Reviews Oct 15, 2014, 14:37 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 13:53:
Do you have some examples of this flip-floppery?

Much of it was derived from the RFM podcast and his reviews so it doesn't translate easily to a bullet point list or something. I will see if I can put together something for you when I get home but generally speaking I think if you listen to him for awhile you'll get what I'm saying.

Used properly, Metacritic is an awesome tool.

Agreed, I like Metacritic as a general tool for indexing purposes. Unfortunately many people seem to put weight in its other aspects.

15993 Comments. 800 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo