Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 16926 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The International Ticket Sales Tomorrow
6. Re: The International Ticket Sales Tomorrow Mar 27, 2015, 13:23 Verno

Angrius Maximis wrote on Mar 27, 2015, 08:39:
Ohh video gaming with a shitty fucking game and some stupid "sports" tournament format. VIDEO GAMING IS NOT A SPORT

LOUD NOISES!

Playing: Bloodborne, GTA V PC, Pillars of Eternity
Watching: The Last Man on Earth, Daredevil, Network
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 27, 2015, 12:48 Verno

Downton Abbey.. can't believe that show lasted 6 seasons.

My girlfriend asked me to watch it with her and after really trying.. I told her after the end of the first season that i'm not watching it anymore.

So she tried to last till season 3.. which concluded in her saying it was a terrible show and is dull as a show can be. I caught her sleeping in the middle of an episode in mid afternoon. Seems like that's all the show was good for.

"Oh Mr. Snippens fell down the stairs and injured his back. Oh woe is upon us, don't let the masters of the house find out!! that would be end of his tenor at the estate!" - Every fucking issue in downton abbey.

Most female targeted TV is just chicks being catty and inane, circular drama to be honest. Trying to watch a show on ABC just puts me to sleep. I make some concessions for my GF because that's what you do in a relationship but its boring as hell watching TV with her. I did end up liking that show called The Bachelor, its a bunch of hot ditsy women competing for the attention of one guy who gets to mack on them all and take his pick. What's not to like?

News Comments > Morning Interviews
6. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 27, 2015, 11:05 Verno

I forgot to add earlier, particularly like this quote:

But donít get me wrong, itís undeniable true that the gaming environment has been a boys club for a long time and I see no reason at all not to invite women to game either. I think this is an admirable goal. Seeing that media is infinite and developers can expand on it infinitely Iím convinced the tactics by which game diversity is achieved are very wrong. I say this because giving women the games they like should not result in taking away or moderating the games the boys like. I think itís cheap and weak to attack existing franchises, shame them in what they are doing and force through guilt to change their content. Feminism has shown what women can do, that they are strong and no less than men, so why donít they prove it by coming up with their own franchises? Weíve seen this happen in television and it worked, Sex and the City has proven this.

4. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 Verno

There are plenty of social justice trolls as well though, many of whom get into some pretty dubious shit, that's what I hate about that argument. It's better to just say the internet is filled with trolls and you can't expect everyone to change everything around to suit your personal preferences and politics then try to justify it with "well look a troll said this!".

Anyways I think what he said was just common sense and its sad that it even needs to be laid out. The answer to content you don't like is to create or fund other content that you do. Anything else is just trying to force change on others.

News Comments > Dirty Bomb Beta Returns; Splash Damage Pulls Away from the Brink
7. Re: Dirty Bomb Beta Returns; Splash Damage Pulls Away from the Brink Mar 27, 2015, 10:50 Verno

Cutter wrote on Mar 27, 2015, 09:53:
Plus the design was a mess. They didn't know if they wanted the game to be run and gun of TF. Most of the maps came down to chokepoint fights which sucked.

Agreed. I wanted wide open levels with a lot of opportunity for the parkour, something more along the lines of a smaller scale Tribes style sort of floatiness. Instead the map design sucked, it was very tight and the parkour felt kinda worthless most of the time.

I don't think the launch issues were the games real problem, it had a lack of identity and that bizarre story MP stuff that no one liked.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Released
77. Re: Pillars of Eternity Released Mar 27, 2015, 09:22 Verno

Too many good games out at once, gonna have to ignore Witcher 3 in May for sure.  

34. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 27, 2015, 09:14 Verno

They did so, Cognitive Dissonance kicked in, and Steam became something that "Revolutionised PC Gaming" rather than being annoying DRM and spyware.

This is a really weird, revisionist history sort of comment. People bitched endlessly about Steam when it sucked. In fact most people hated the WON/Steam transition for CS and the HL2 launch, you can find internet archives filled with complaints on various PC sites including this one. People only really liked Steam after it actually started becoming more stable, feature complete and Valve put some effort into the store front side of things.

Valve was not lucky and they didn't really gamble on anything, they built the DD market one piece at a time pretty deliberately. There were many missteps along the way but they're still the best in the market as far as I'm concerned. While EA, Ubisoft and etc have been farting around trying to extract as much money as possible from console owners Valve created a new market on the PC and set some standards that the PC market desperately needed at the time.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2015, 09:22.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 26, 2015, 23:13 Verno

Simon Says wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 18:34:
Nonsense, I remember a small farm riddled village in the UK whose residents passed gigabit FTTH without any subsidies, only resident financing who had enough of the dialup crap. And they pay, if I remember right, a ridiculously low price and still the cooperative they started STILL MAKES PROFIT off of it.

Geez I guess one vague anecdote just totally means everyone can have gigabit FTTH. Your own example is pretty flawed because that community had a few very wealthy landowners who essentially financed the whole thing, they have a shared 100mbps interconnect for 60 farms and the group itself literally said the point of the exercise was to get government to subsidize future efforts.

THERE IS NO REASON WHATSOEVER in this day and age not to have fiber to the home for everyone. NONE AT ALL.

Yeah except for all of that trenching, pole drops, labor, maintenance, sales, support, permits, peering, capital asset acquisition, infrastructure and stuff like that. No reason at all...except all of those silly reasons that prevent most people from ever even contemplating starting an ISP. It's not like in the news, its really expensive and difficult, that's without going into political opposition from other companies.

Who wouldn't want fiber to the house? No one except Comcast. Doesn't mean it's realistic for everyone right now unfortunately. Companies with billions of dollars can't afford expansions outside of concentrated areas, it's not a conspiracy, its just super expensive and takes forever to make back your money so investors hate it.

But hey its so easy and what do I know after working NOC for a decade? You guys go ahead and just fart out a FTTH ISP in your spare time, good luck with attracting investors.

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 26, 2015, 15:57 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 15:35:
Couldn't he check with the previous owners to see if they had cable? I can't blame the guy too much for taking Comcast, et. al. at their spoken word, but he should have gotten in in writing, or recorded the Comcast sales rep, or something.

As far as Muni Broadband goes, maybe he can start his own ISP, then the muni people will give him access at wholesale prices?

Pretty sure it was a new house build and he's on the outskirts so starting his own ISP probably isn't an option due to low pop density, amongst the many other obstacles.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2015, 15:56 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 15:55:
Verno wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 13:44:
Yeah now that you mention this I recall a real estate agent telling me that when I was looking at houses in San Diego. No frost line so no one digs out a foundation because money.

And yet SoCal houses are among the most expensive in the nation. Go figure.

Dat climate

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2015, 13:44 Verno

descender wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 13:23:
There are no basements in Cali and other warm places mainly because it never freezes there.

If the ground freezes, it would upheave and crack the entire foundation of a house built on just a slab. To avoid this they HAVE to dig down below the 4ft "freeze line" to anchor the foundation, and that's where the basements come from.

They don't want to dig any holes they don't have to, so unless you specifically pay to have a basement built into your house in these areas, you won't have one.

Yeah now that you mention this I recall a real estate agent telling me that when I was looking at houses in San Diego. No frost line so no one digs out a foundation because money.

9. Re: Pillars of Eternity Released Mar 26, 2015, 13:43 Verno

Cutter wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 13:22:
Installing it right now! Going Cipher, dunno which race!

Wood Elf Cipher represent.

2. Re: Pillars of Eternity Released Mar 26, 2015, 13:18 Verno

Reviews have been stellar, can't wait to dig into it. Gonna be impossible playing this and Bloodborne at the same time but I'll manage!  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2015, 13:16 Verno

BobBob wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 12:54:
Verno wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 12:47:
I usually watch TV while working out, I have weights and cardio stuff in the basement. Combine laziness with fitness for the ultimate combo Bob

Ah, ha. You have me there. I don't have basement. They aren't too common here -- though I'm not exactly sure why that is.

I've been to LA several times and wondered the same thing. The people on the hills I understand, its a pain in the ass. The rest of it though I don't get, you see people with so much junk too. They clearly need a basement but instead their garages are overflowing.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2015, 12:47 Verno

BobBob wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 11:57:
How do you guys find the time to watch TV shows? I seem to barely have enough time to eat and sleep.

I usually watch TV while working out, I have weights and cardio stuff in the basement. Combine laziness with fitness for the ultimate combo Bob

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 26, 2015, 12:40 Verno

Cutter wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 12:27:
So how you figure government and muni broadband are worse than that simply boggles the mind.

You don't even understand what is involved from a technical or business stand point but putting that aside, I never actually said I am opposed to these things. Just that they aren't always feasible or applicable due to the challenges involved, many of which are insurmountable for small communities without significant subsidization. Comcast fucking sucks and I've never defended them either. I feel bad for the guy taking a loss on his home especially considering so many ISPs gave him the thumbs up.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
14. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 26, 2015, 11:43 Verno

Frags4Fun wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 09:57:
I'm doing the PS4 complete backup and it's going to take over 5 hours to backup around 370GB over to a USB 3.0 drive. uuuugh.

The speed estimate thing is all weird, it should go faster than that.

News Comments > GOG.Com on Customer Service
28. Re: GOG.Com on Customer Service Mar 26, 2015, 11:36 Verno

MoonSpook wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 05:37:
I have to say, I get a little sick of GoG constantly tugging their own todger anytime Steam news bubbles up. Both in their news/blog and on their Twitter, anytime there's even the slightest bit of commentary on Steam and/or their DRM, they pop up and announce how amazing they think they are in comparison.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not even saying they're wrong, but it sets the bar pretty low for professionalism when they try to dance on top of every bit of criticism Steam takes.

They're a small company with strong principles that is trying to play with the big fish. They need every little bit of PR they can get. This sort of competition is ultimately better for you the consumer. Not trying to be a dick here but no one makes you read their press releases, keep it in perspective

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2015, 11:42.

19. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 26, 2015, 11:33 Verno

PHJF wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 11:32:
Unfortunately this weekend is already reserved by Bloodborne.

Praise the Sunny !

Pistol/Whipcane all the way man. Game is awesome. Already got my ass kicked several times but I'm getting a good feel for the new pacing now.

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 26, 2015, 11:30 Verno

I have to laugh at the municipal fiber being useless because its wholesale only.

Also shades of the comment thread from yesterday:

PUD officials had no comment on whether they intend to file such a petition or if theyíd publicly support one. After all, running a retail-level broadband service may be too expensive an undertaking for a county with only around 250,000 residents.

This is why muni broadband direct to consumer usually only ends up in heavily subsidized environments.

16926 Comments. 847 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo