Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 17228 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2015, 14:28 Verno

I don't mind them adding the wife and child bit, it gives him stakes beyond just survival and its basically a bone to some female demographics. I noticed they already changed a few characters around too based on the trailers but oh well, books rarely translate well to screen without change. It probably takes up very little screen time.  

Playing: Dota 2 Reborn, The Witcher 3, Super Metroid
Watching: Galaxy Quest, True Detective S2, Dark Matter
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian
11. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 9, 2015, 13:19 Verno

saluk wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 13:13:
I don't think it dropped in the charts because it wasn't good enough, I think it dropped fast because the market for it bought it right away - and that's kind of that. When you have a small enthusiastic niche market that's what you see. It will spike again, but smaller when it goes on sale. People like me with huge backlogs haven't bought it yet.

Yeah pretty much this. It's a good game but the market for it is small these days and many of them were backers. The gameplay itself is fine outside of some balance issues, I think many people just forgot how unforgiving that style of game can be and wanted it to be something its not.

I'd definitely check out a sequel or expansion pack at some point. I suspect this will be a big one on steam holiday sales too, I remember a lot of people here just put off buying it due to the crazy release schedule lately.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2015, 12:48 Verno

Yeah that trailer is pretty good. I read the book awhile ago and really enjoyed it, maybe its time for another go. Hopefully this is a hit for Ridley Scott, he could use one.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 9, 2015, 12:46 Verno

Ludomancer wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 10:55:
"It's coming..."

And from AMD no less! If they come anything like I do, it's going to be underwhelming, brief, and be a complete mess.

390x will be a 290x rebadge and 490x will be a 3 month paper launch lol.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2015, 11:33 Verno

jimnms wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 21:12:
Julio wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 18:10:
jimnms wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 10:05:
Why do you shovel it before cutting it? Just mow over it and you'll never know it was there.

Because picking shit out of the treads of your shoes isn't fun.

If you run over it with a mower, there won't be pieces large enough to get in the treads of your shoes. I didn't always pay someone to cut my lawn, I used to do it myself. The shit in my yard is mostly my dog's shit and I never shoveled shit before mowing.

Julio wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 18:10:
It's not my pet. If it gets injured trespassing on my property, that's the owners fault.

It is your fault if you intentionally injured it. That's the problem with the world today. Half of the population doesn't want to take responsibility for their actions and the other half doesn't care about anything unless it affects them. You don't care if someone else's dog gets hurt, but you would if it were your dog.

Hey whoa there, hang on. I'm a dog owner so I'm first to get pissed about people hurting them but since when are you entitled to someone elses property? There are a ton of things you can put on a lawn, intentional or otherwise, that might harm an animal like a dog or cat. I put shit in our garden to keep animals out, including neighbors dogs who love to dig it up. It isn't chocolate chips but they probably don't love it either. You talk about responsibility but seem to be forgetting that pet owners share some of that too.

Also you can't seriously expect people to just tolerate dog shit on their lawn, that's an argument you will never win in a thousand years. I say that as a guy who loves his dog and picks up after it as dog owners should. A few turds ok no big deal. Consistent shit every day while ignoring warnings signs, not ok. Dude putting down chocolate is an asshole but so are the owners who are not taking responsibility for their pets and picking up after them.

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 2015, 11:47.

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Sells 4M
16. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Sells 4M Jun 9, 2015, 11:21 Verno

ForgedReality wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 11:13:
This has never happened to me. They stay put where they are and buff my same-type character points.

I'm still taking my time trying to complete side quests and shit. I should just move along with the story since I can always come back, but my OCD won't let me. :\

It only started for me with the 1.05 patch, they said on the forums its going to be fixed in 1.06.

I just do what I feel like doing in the game and if a quest or something bugs me I move on. They've balanced things well enough that if you just do the main quest and a few odd things here and there you'll still be fine even at the higher difficulties. All of the side stuff I've done so far has been interesting too so its not like most games where doing the secondary shit feels tedious.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 9, 2015, 11:14 Verno

Damn it Valve, make something with a 3. Ricochet 3, L4D3, whatever just do something!  

10. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Sells 4M Jun 9, 2015, 11:00 Verno

Also anytime you load in somewhere, if you have mutagens equipped you're going to have to re equip them because they get shuffled around and your stats will lower. Every time.

Anyways its a great game and I'm really enjoying it. Just mentioning a few quirks so people have a heads up.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 9, 2015, 10:37 Verno

Excited at Dragons Dogma PS4 then realized its just that Dragons Dogma Online stuff.  

7. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Sells 4M Jun 9, 2015, 10:36 Verno

Darks wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 10:26:
What annoyances? I haven't played in a week. been kind of busy.

Can you let me know what they messed up or changed?

Its with the mutagen crafting, you have to sometimes drop one to make another, especially if you're shooting for greater mutagens. It's weird, I'll take a video demoing it on Youtube later when I get home from work.

2. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Sells 4M Jun 9, 2015, 09:52 Verno

Well deserved, kudos to CDPR. The amount of content in the game is almost overwhelming which is a good problem to have. The latest patch introduced some annoyances with mutagens but at least I know the workarounds.  

News Comments > Master of Orion Remake Plans
1. Re: Master of Orion Remake Plans Jun 9, 2015, 09:50 Verno

Hooooly shit, this is awesome on so many levels. I've played a lot of near miss 4X games in the past few years so I'm pretty pumped for this.  

News Comments > Op Ed
50. Re: Op Ed Jun 9, 2015, 08:34 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 03:20:
While I sorta agree, that is neither their goal (license fees -> MS) nor is it an issue for you, I mean you could always just.. install Windows on it ;p Chances are that if you pick one from a builder that puts desktop parts in and nothing custom you can easily run Windows 10 on it.

Yeah I'm not sure why people are rushing to crap on something that is just a PC with a different interface, its obvious several people here literally don't understand what the platform even is. People have been building similar PCs on their own for years already and there are a myriad of options available in terms of form factor, customization and power. You can buy a $1500 Steam box that is as powerful as a desktop rig or you could buy a $400 box for the Peggle type gamer. I doubt Valve cares how much you spent so long as you're buying games.

Install Windows, install some bastardized version of Mac OS X, whatever, its just a PC.

News Comments > Op Ed
37. Re: Op Ed Jun 8, 2015, 16:51 Verno

harlock wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 16:46:
Verno wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 15:49:
I feel like I'm watching an old Smashing Pumpkins video from the 90s, so much unnecessary angst.

thats your go-to reference for angst? man, thats sad... (culturally)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqAvFx3NxUM

There's some real angst to satisfy you my friend

News Comments > Op Ed
35. Re: Op Ed Jun 8, 2015, 16:41 Verno

Cutter wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 16:38:
Yeah, so you run a $5 HDMI cable to your TV from your vid card. No $500 gimped console required.

Do you mean the Steam Boxes or are you referring to a console specifically? The Steam Boxes are just PCs running SteamOS, many are powerful, upgradable, etc. They are just a PC running a different OS which you can change if you like, they are not closed platforms like consoles. You can customize it however you want. Many people don't have a TV within reach of the PC either or might not own a desktop gaming PC anymore. I've personally just run a long HDMI cable through the conduits in my house but many people don't have that option. That's why there are home streaming devices for games such as the Nvidia Shield, Steam Link, etc.

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2015, 16:47.

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed Jun 8, 2015, 15:55 Verno

DangerDog wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 15:49:
I sure wouldn't recommend one of these as a console replacement for the living room, especially to someone looking for a plug and play solution to play PC games on a TV in the living room.

Nobody should be praising Valve for turning the PC gaming experience into the lowest form of entertainment - yet another console.

I wouldn't recommend one to a console owner either but its just an early option, it will mature hopefully.

I don't see how they're turning it into lowest common denominator, its just an alternate GUI really. You retain all of the power to change it unlike consoles. You want a different browser or to use the KB/M instead then you can do that. Or just keep using the controller. It's just another choice, I thought we liked options?

Saying you need to have a PC running Windows to stream to a Steam Machine or that you can install Windows on it is ignoring the target demographic that this is aimed at, couch potato console gamers shopping at Walmart not some neck beard that's going to install a bunch of Linux libraries or configure a dual boot with Windows.

I think there's another demographic you're ignoring, people who are older now, work at a computer all day and want to play the occasional game on a couch

Of course there's an argument to be made that Valve is competing with itself in that regard since you could just pickup a Steam Link but that assumes you have a Host PC.

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed Jun 8, 2015, 15:49 Verno

I feel like I'm watching an old Smashing Pumpkins video from the 90s, so much unnecessary angst.

Backwards compatibility is generally better on the PC, I can run most Win32 apps with zero customization or effort. Consoles aren't bad in this regard if you're willing to have old hardware in your AV stand, some people don't have room though. Consoles are moving increasingly toward under pinning online functionality into games which may change that but for now theres still plenty of SP stuff on the market. I unhooked my PS3 to make room for newer stuff but the option to play my old games still exists so I don't think its fair to act like its a huge advantage the PC has over consoles, they both have it in some form. Most of the good games seem to be ending up with re-releases, GOTY editions or whatever anyway.

The article is silly and ignores relevant context so much ado about nothing.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
7. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jun 8, 2015, 15:10 Verno

For playing things from discs its just a convenience thing. I don't like hunting down the disc, going through the dumb unskippable stuff and so on. Ripping everything I own isn't worth the time when I can find good quality copies online ready to go. My GF jokes that I buy blurays for no reason since its just to assuage my conscience for downloading a copy. I do my own rips where I care about quality and download where I don't.

Its worth noting that physical discs have DRM anyway, its just been cracked.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 8, 2015, 15:03 Verno

Ozmodan wrote on Jun 7, 2015, 20:55:
Computer games are not sports and those esport players are not athletes.

How would you know? Have you actually played at that level and seen what is involved?

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight NVIDIA GameWorks Trailer
8. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight NVIDIA GameWorks Trailer Jun 8, 2015, 14:30 Verno

The stuff shown is pretty impressive and should be a good workout for my 980ti.  

17228 Comments. 862 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo