Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 17360 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Hardware > Cut the cord media setups
2. No subject Jul 7, 2015, 12:45 Verno

I switched from Plex to Emby, the latter is totally open source and has better management features. The lifetime "donater" license is also less ridiculous than Plex ($70 vs $150). It's got apps for all of the usual devices and supports transcoding and direct play. The library/metadata management is especially robust and I love the control features to prevent kids from accessing adult media. It also has a lot of features for free that otherwise cost money from Plex.

The clients are all FireTVs, most of them run Kodi with the Emby Addon. We chose FireTVs for the ability to run all of the streaming apps and Kodi/emulators. It ties the Emby database directly into Kodi (it writes to the Kodi SQL database) which means all of the watched tags/etc get preserved which is nice. It's all controlled with Logitech Harmony remotes.

I have various streaming sports packages for taking care of my football/etc needs. We don't bother with OTA stuff anymore since we use Usenet. My system is entirely automated, you just feed it what you want then it gets grabbed, renamed and sorted. It's the ad free, on demand setup that I wanted from TV but could never get until now.

We also have the various consoles/etc, not really worth mentioning those. I'll take some pics of our setup later, lord knows I spent enough time and money on it. Just the basement alone took me a month last summer.

Playing: The Witcher 3
Watching: True Detective
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 7, 2015, 10:12 Verno

Confusing branding from Microsoft? No way!

Windows Live MSN Hotmail Live.com OneView Outlook Live Xbox Live.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Gameplay Video
1. Re: No Man's Sky Gameplay Video Jul 7, 2015, 10:10 Verno

Finally! That's what I needed to see. It almost feels like they were shooting for an Elite feel to some aspects. I don't expect a big guided experience, just the exploration and upgrading aspects alone will keep me occupied for awhile.  

News Comments > Witcher 3 Inventory Patch This Week
20. Re: Witcher 3 Inventory Patch This Week Jul 7, 2015, 08:40 Verno

About time, the UI and inventory stuff was definitely the low point of this game.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 6, 2015, 12:52 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 10:18:
That other Sony article is even worse.. the headline does not agree with the actual content ;p

"The biggest downside to PlayStation Now is that it's just so darn expensive"

So how does it turn a Smart TV into a fun gaming system?

What is so difficult to understand? He's saying its fun but too expensive.

News Comments > Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship
84. Re: Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship Jul 6, 2015, 11:38 Verno

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 10:23:
Verno wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 10:14:
I'm still not convinced its going to be made with this model either but I'm an optimist and willing to wait
Fair enough, but nobody was forced to pledge money.

As Quboid noted, people pledged for a different game. I've heard all of the arguments about how much better it will be later but that doesn't really help people who pledged for one thing and got something else entirely. Regardless of how good you personally feel about the direction of things its a valid concern, a huge amount of unnecessary risk and time delays were introduced.

Anyways we'll see what happens. I hope everyone ends up happy but these huge projects have a hard enough time at publishing houses who are used to it, let alone whats being attempted here.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2015, 10:20 Verno

One less moron to suck up resources that were clearly better spent elsewhere. "Fuck the alligators" indeed Tommy.  

81. Re: Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship Jul 6, 2015, 10:14 Verno

I'm still not convinced its going to be made with this model either but I'm an optimist and willing to wait  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
14. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 6, 2015, 09:15 Verno

harlock wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 04:26:
all the standard expected responses, as usual

like clockwork

A place for everything and everything in its place.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
18. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 6, 2015, 09:12 Verno

NKD wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 03:21:
Fletch wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 01:41:
There are no fun console games.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "no" fun console games, but I'm really wondering how much longer I'm going to be buying consoles for. It's getting to the point where I'm lucky if I buy more than 5 titles over the course of the console's life. That's just not worth the investment.

It's just better to buy in at the end of a console gen, you get it for cheap and there are a ton of great games out. It's only a problem for multiplayer games where the community has moved on but I don't play a ton of multiplayer on consoles anyway, hell I find the silly annual things totally unnecessary since I get so little out of them. The PS Plus I do just for the free games but even that I might not bother with in the future since the quality has gone down.

There's a lot of great console games IMO and I rarely regret the "investment". I do however regret buying in at the beginning of a console gen where things are few and far between. The 4 year mark is when to do it.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2015, 17:19 Verno

Yeah things were pretty subdued, I went up to Ellicottville with the family and we did a big wing fest with some others but there was little to no fireworks. It was great since we had about 20 dogs between the 50 people there.  

77. Re: Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship Jul 5, 2015, 17:14 Verno

dsmart wrote on Jul 5, 2015, 07:20:
Yeah. Thing is, I come here from time to time. I stopped posting as I used to do regularly, because being attacked consistently by ass-clowns is not something that's fun anymore. I'm too old for that shit, you know?

Everyone deserves a second chance and I would normally gloss it over but this sort of revisionist history is silly. You chose to slink away from the forums awhile back after you were caught by Blue using multiple accounts to support your own arguments in the forums. Since then its just been a bunch of hit and run style posts spaced out over time.

I hope you have positive interaction with this community going forward but given your history on the internet and your first foray after "coming back", I can't say I'm optimistic. All the same, best of luck.

This comment was edited on Jul 5, 2015, 18:02.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 30, 2015, 14:13 Verno

I think Google bought Motorola then sold them to Lenovo or something?  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2015, 11:32 Verno

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 23:19:
Verno wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 10:50:
I never really cared for the books that much. Tolkien was a great world builder but the writing itself put me to sleep.

Glad I'm not alone. SO many people LOVE the books, but they are so dull to me. PJ's movies, however, I love.

And no, it's not because I don't like books. Robert Jordan and GRRM are just so much better at pacing, even if they do draw out the length of the story.

His prose is mechanical and it doesn't help that he has this really bad habit of introducing entire family trees and history with each character. Don't get me wrong, his impact on the fantasy genre cannot be overstated but I just didn't care for his work. He has influenced countless writers though and I really respect that.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2015, 11:24 Verno

Assuming you didn't already, run a traceroute next time to help narrow down where the problem is. Could just be routing related.  

News Comments > Scrolls Closing
45. Re: Scrolls Closing Jun 30, 2015, 10:20 Verno

They had practically no software for it, I'm not sure you can really call that support. Kinect was half baked, a solid idea that couldn't find a decent implementation and the third party market wasn't about to absorb that risk when even Microsoft wasn't committed to it.

As for Scrolls does anyone really care? I wonder how many people here actually played it as opposed to just wanting to give Microsoft a tongue lashing.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 30, 2015, 10:00 Verno

I would rather have a new story in that universe, I hope they don't revisit Joel and Elly.  

News Comments > Battlefield 2143 Images?
39. Re: Battlefield 2143 Images? Jun 30, 2015, 09:59 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 04:28:
My point is that it doesn't matter that they shut down the BF42 servers. You still have a myriad of choices if you want to play: vs. bots alone, vs. bots coop, multiplayer over LAN, host your own server, etc. etc. The newer BF games don't allow any of those options. Once they shut off the servers, that's it basically.

They don't want you to have any options. Your only option now is battlelog and they can sunset whatever they want. There's no real compelling reason for this design methodology either, they could still do everything they're doing with unlocks and stats while maintaining public auth servers but they choose not to. EA has an established history of prematurely sunsetting software too so there is no reasonable defense here.

News Comments > Battlefield 2143 Images?
36. Re: Battlefield 2143 Images? Jun 30, 2015, 09:40 Verno

Sepharo wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 01:10:
Believe me, anyone reading this (especially this post right here) is going to think you're the crazy one.

Learned that long ago, not sure why you guys keep wasting time with this lunacy. Why give this kind of person exactly what they want which is a captive audience? It's so samey and boring anyway, just takes opposition stances on everything to annoy people and spew volumes of nonsense.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 30, 2015, 09:36 Verno

I've heard everything from Samsung to Facebook to now Microsoft wants to buy AMD.  

17360 Comments. 868 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo