Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 16460 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2015, 10:05 Verno

They called for an inch here and we ended up getting 5. A friend of mine who is a commercial fisherman joked that if he relied on the weather stations for accuracy he would be dead several times over.  

Playing: DOTA2, Kerbal Space Program, The Wolf Among Us
Watching: Scorpion, Spaced, The Remaining
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 9, 2015, 10:03 Verno

I think they mean "Gamestop needs market for used downloads if it wants to stay relevant."  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 9, 2015, 10:02 Verno

I have to admit, I remember most people here were pretty worried after we learned it would be Wheeler but hes defying expectations so far in a wonderful way. I should be less cynical.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
37. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 9, 2015, 09:47 Verno

Orogogus wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 14:09:
Meaning what? You'd quit gaming? Leave your job and join the local branch of the government anti-gamer-terrorist unit? Get stuck in giant useless message board arguments? What is the expectation for non-terrorist Muslims, exactly? Is it that you want them to convert, or set up extralegal self-police forces? It seems to me that you want Muslims to make public announcements to the effect of their religion is bad and they feel bad, which seems unrealistic.

I'm sorry I missed this one yesterday, I wasn't trying to ignore it.

I'd do whatever my conscience required, it would depend on the situation. I've protested in my life, raised community awareness/money and helped build political pressure to effect change. I'm willing to concede that my view of these things is anecdotal based on living in a single muslim centric area but all I see here is a lot of apathy. I don't expect muslims to denounce their religion, quite the opposite. I want the religion of peace actively used to push out the extremists through social, cultural and political change. In terms of overseas efforts I think people are kidding themselves if they think military action won't be required to stop terrorist training camps from continuing to be established and I feel like we've been more instrumental in those efforts than anyone else. I'd like to see more community efforts from local imams in raising money for some of these goals. That's what I have from the top of my head anyway, I'll think on it more.

I hear people talk about comparisons to extreme Christian groups and say that its just a crazy person problem. Certainly true, no one is trying to blame muslims for this specific incident or something. That said, if the Westboro Baptist Church was shooting people overseas for satirizing Jesus, do you think anyone here would stand for it? There would be widespread efforts to put a stop to it and fast. I'm not sure I see muslim communities being so understanding about an extreme minority of ours either. But to be fair its been encouraging seeing more muslims condemn it (online) than I remember in previous incidents and I did see some stances from some prominent muslims in the news to the same effect.

Maybe I'm wrong and just letting my personal experiences color my judgment, fair enough. Feel free to share yours and I will always hear them out with an open mind.

Edit: sorry posted before coffee, cleaned up a few things.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2015, 11:09.

News Comments > Valve: Steam Machines "Front and Center" at GDC
30. Re: Valve: Steam Machines Jan 9, 2015, 09:02 Verno

Wesp5 wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 04:54:
InBlack wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 02:56:
Well said. Steam changed PC gaming in a big way.

Yeah, they forced every Counter-Strike player into Steam and thus got a headstart on the digital distribution front and kept that a monopoly for now. This is not very different to what MS does with Windows.

This doesn't feel like a fair representation to me. They chose to move off the WON.net architecture which frankly was kind of creaky to begin with and try to build a more scalable platform. No one was forced into digital distribution, they won people over with convenience, pricing and free features. This is in stark contrast to Microsofts approach to things, a company that actually tried charging for Games For Windows Live subscriptions at one point.

22. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 8, 2015, 15:03 Verno

Dmitri_M wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 14:14:
In my country we have a sizeable Muslim minority. Many run successful businesses. They're contributors. Reliable honest people to deal with. Yet get a little closer you realise they have an agenda of control. Of making it about Islam. Or using Islam to push their own agendas, be it making money or just generally trying to domineer. A 12 person civic society committee my father was on had a single Muslim member. He presented as the nice moderate business man in the corner. Until he wanted something, upon which he'd explode into entitled rage until he got his way. The man once showed up at our house raving angrily. You'd never tell how pent up he was in normal dealings.

I don't think a culture so controlling of it's woman, so controlling generally, is in any sense healthy. Extremism grows from within Islamic culture. They want to dominate.

It's a similar situation around here. There are a lot of hard working muslims in this area, I respect many of them. They seem largely apathetic to extremism in their culture though, whether its at home or abroad. I used to be a big idealist on this subject until I started to see it first hand. There have been honor killings, attempts to setup sharia law courts, arranged marriages with underaged girls and its usually total silence from the muslim community. That's without getting into the segregration efforts in both school and business. Many are not content to integrate and I suspect never will, they see our liberalism ironically as weak and will push to dominate aspects of our society. It's inherent in their culture even.

I lived in my head about many of these things for awhile but actually being exposted to it has been a difference experience. What freaks me out a bit is that many of the experiences around here have been with the so called moderates.

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 8, 2015, 14:02 Verno

Quboid wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 13:24:
Neither do I. If the excuse of "nothing to do with us" is valid, it's valid. If it's not, it's not. Severity has nothing to with it.

I absolutely disagree, context matters. Either way I'm not going any further down this road, that whole gamergate shit will just derail things.

From him, that doesn't surprise me. From you it does.

First off don't try to attribute other peoples text to me, I supplied my own that could've been easily used. Second I've lived in muslim centric areas for years and my text comes from my personal experiences. I'm generalizing out of necessity when dealing with a broad subject like this one, I don't believe every single muslim is necessarily responsible.

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 8, 2015, 13:14 Verno

Quboid wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 12:59:
This reasoning "works" when you put in any beleaguered group. Something tells me that my modifications aren't going to look quite as palatable when it's us who are being told we're responsible for the actions of other people who, to outsiders, appear to speak for us. The actions of these terrorists are a hell of a lot less representative of Muslims than the actions of the most objectionable gamers are to many of us.

(If you think I'm calling any gamers terrorists, you are completely missing my point.)

Ugh, why would you try to conflate these two unlike situations? Tell you what, if gamers were actually blowing up people, shooting people and attempting to undermine society as a whole I would get involved and take some ownership of the problem. When it affects our collective societies, yes action is required to preserve that. I don't think "gamergate" qualifies as equivalent.

This is a cultural problem of theirs, we can't be expected to shoulder the entire burden. We already get enough of the blame as it is and I refuse to do the typical western guilt thing any longer.

10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 8, 2015, 12:02 Verno

They mention in comments how organized activities are handled mostly through these social media tools today.

Thats news to me, our kids school does everything through a blog and has a pretty strict policy about out of school communication between teachers and students. Its a system that works very well.

The comment about snapchat use among grown men was just tongue in cheek.

In any case guy was stupid in multiple ways, shame its going to ruin his life but he only has himself to blame.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2015, 11:42 Verno

Cheers Frans, if you can remember how old you are then you're still ahead of the game!  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Specs; Requires 6GB
48. Re: The Witcher 3 Specs; Requires 6GB Jan 8, 2015, 11:41 Verno

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 10:23:
And still no specs for GTAV which is supposedly a couple weeks from release..

Starting to get worried about rockstar's PC fuckery again.

Yeah I'll let other people preorder that thing, I'm going to wait a week on it and see. Nothing to gain from preordering anyway.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $69M
16. Re: Star Citizen at $69M Jan 8, 2015, 11:39 Verno

zombiefan wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 11:32:
Congratulations to Chris Roberts for figuring out how to turn Kickstarter into a subscription service. Next stretch goal: automatic debit payments!

The scary thing is that they're up to 180 employees, 4 worldwide offices, licensing, etc. That's gotta have an insane burn rate on that bling. So if the funding levels drop off I'm starting to wonder how they would ever finish this. They say they can scale development up but I'm not sure you can do the same thing in reverse once scope and features are set. I just hope Roberts knows what hes doing.

That being said, the people who did back it seem pretty happy for the most part. I'm mainly curious more than anything else, I hope it turns out well for people. When there is an official "1.0" type milestone for the aggregate product I will probably check it out.

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 8, 2015, 11:15 Verno

I'm more tired of the excuses from muslim communities. Its an extreme minority that is not representative of our culture, we wash our hands of it and the like. Do these guys have to detonate a dirty bomb before they wake up and start to acknowledge the problem? There seems to be a pretty thin line between moderate and extreme muslims, many scholars and authors have been threatened by muslims living in western & european countries.

Is there any reasoning with people who want the rest of the world to strictly adhere to one sided bronze age cultural standards? Is tolerance really working? Can these two disparate civilizations actually co-exist peacefully? I often wonder.

News Comments > Zombie Studios Closed
2. Re: Zombie Studios Closed Jan 8, 2015, 11:12 Verno

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 10:51:
For being around for so long, how come I've only heard of them just now?

They did mostly console work and didn't really have any standout stuff aside from maybe Spec Ops.

6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 8, 2015, 10:52 Verno

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 10:37:
Frags4Fun wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 10:28:
That coach is such an idiot. I feel bad for his poor wife. :/
I did not read the whole story but I thought he has a gf no wife.
He meant to send the video to his gf but ended up sending it to the soccer team.
Yeah shit happens lol

A grown man who doesn't know how to use snapchat should not be using snapchat. Hell, a grown man shouldn't be using snapchat. What the hell was he doing friending students on there anyway? Coach or not, that's fucking weird. Work and personal life separation barrier man, especially if you're interacting with female students. Male teachers have a hard enough time getting work as it is without bullshit like this.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Op Ed Jan 8, 2015, 09:01 Verno

LibertyOrDeath wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 18:09:
Yes, free internet for everyone you liberal pukes (just kidding).

You're annoying and should be banned again (just kidding)

I like this game.

News Comments > Origin PC CEO: Steam Controller Finalized; Steam Machines "Pretty Much Dead"
27. Re: Origin PC CEO: Steam Controller Finalized; Steam Machines Jan 8, 2015, 08:59 Verno

Interesting to see what the final iteration of the controller will be, they went through some pretty drastic revisions already.  

48. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 7, 2015, 15:03 Verno

Axis wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 14:56:
Thanks for your keen interest in my opinions, I'll again decline to add my opinions and simply point you to the same link of voting fact I posted for you to read. I'd also ask you to reread my earlier statements on the matter, as they covered all your regurgitated "Prove it" remarks I keep responding to.

That's a list of decisions, nothing else. I didn't ask for a list of her decisions, I can look that up myself. I asked for the specifics of why you accused her of being dumb, too politically ideological and how it has affected her decisions. Those were your assertions, not mine. It shouldn't be difficult to articulate the how or why you came to that conclusion. You can't co-opt a list of decisions and say its a fact that represents your decision without offering your interpretation of it. Also the whole handwave with "blah blah cant you see whats liberal" is really silly. You said it affected her decision making in a negative way and questioned her credentials, I just asked you to point to where it occurred. Not exactly unreasonable.

Two people say they don't approve of a conservative presidential candidate, one lists reasons why and the other just makes loud noises. Who do you give more credence to?

You aren't going to fool me with this transparent stuff about changing the subject and etc. So again, I will repeat it:

Which decision there? What ideology of hers is the issue? Why is she not qualified for the job? Other posters asked for the same thing and you haven't responded to them either. Its your opinion, these things shouldn't be difficult to answer.

That's it. It's pretty simple. Just one case is fine even in the interest of brevity. Also you seem to have confused me with a liberal here, I'm not a liberal. So you're just taking the piss with someone who is more likely to agree with you but needs context. It's context, not proof by the way.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Specs; Requires 6GB
22. Re: The Witcher 3 Specs; Requires 6GB Jan 7, 2015, 14:53 Verno

harlock wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 14:47:
thats what ive got and i see plenty of reasons, even gaming at 720p ... i recently got a gtx 970, and even that couldnt really get it over the fundamental hump - its a pcie 2.0 cpu but the card is pcie 3.0

gotta have rock solid 80+ fps, with all effects and bells and whistles - and its just not happening on that generation

I don't know, the real world gaming performance delta between the two seems to be almost non-existent. Granted the article is a year old but I'm not sure much has changed since then in this regard. I'm more worried about getting extra USB 3.0 slots (these old boards only have like 2) than I am about bandwidth limitations from the PCIE bus. I've got a 970GTX and I certainly don't have any issues in anything but unoptimized games.

I'm sure I will upgrade this at some point but I still don't see anything compelling yet. If you have some other benches feel free to shoot em out though, I love to tinker and I'm looking for ammo.

46. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 7, 2015, 14:35 Verno

Axis wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 14:22:
Glad you guys think so highly of my statements that you flounder like lost children when I don't comply to your demands.

Quite the opposite. Your complete inability to articulate even a single point of reference for your "opinion" leaves me no choice but to conclude you have no actual foundation for your opinion and are just simply parroting something you picked up from media or a third party.

You were the one posting here, no one made you come out with something so accusatory and then utterly fail to back it up with anything of substance. Here's yet another opportunity, I'll keep repeating it until you stop pretending:

Which decision there? What ideology of hers is the issue? Why is she not qualified for the job? Other posters asked for the same thing and you haven't responded to them either. Its your opinion, these things shouldn't be difficult to answer.

If I said the same thing about a person and someone asked why, I could easily explain my thoughts. I wouldn't necessarily expect everyone to agree but explaining why I believe something isn't a hardship or something. It's less time than it took you to write 12 overly defensive posts that say literally nothing at all.

It seems like you have some sort of negative attention disorder because you have a pattern of pursuing these political topics with similar results every time. Post something loud to get attention, cry foul, insult everyones intelligence and run away when details get involved.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2015, 14:43.

16460 Comments. 823 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo