Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 16815 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 13, 2015, 10:22 Verno

"I think (Valve) they've got a great vision," he says. "I've said it before, the work they've done on the Windows gaming side for 15, 20 years has been amazing. They've been the shepherds of that ecosystem while we've been a little bit absent.

LOL understatement of the year there Phil, more like an absence akin to a black hole.

Playing: Bloodborne, Pillars of Eternity, DOTA2
Watching: Vikings, Dig, The Jinx
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
40. Re: Op Ed Mar 13, 2015, 10:16 Verno

Well then, I guess that's all cleared up  

News Comments > Star Citizen is Huge
81. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 16:36 Verno

{PH}88fingers wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 16:22:
nin wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 10:31:
InBlack wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 10:15:
Bullshit. It has everything to do with it. Hard-drive space would not be an issue if they would concentrate on doing a Space game first and foremost

"Pew Pew! Let's add in a first person shootar!!!!!"

I wish I'd never backed this on KS. What it was then, and what it is now are completely separate things. Even at $37, I have buyers remorse...

Buyers remorse and wish you hadn't backed on KS, please msg me privately and I'll happily fix that problem for you. I will paypal you $37 for your account instantly.
But why do I somehow doubt you will reply... hmm I wonder...

I also am filled with dismayed regret over Kickstanding this multiplayer online adventure game. Perchance you could immediately paypal me $37 to rectify this situation. God bless you and your family good sir, I will gracefully await your positive correspondence.

- Prince of Nigeria Verno Nwanagu Aghedo

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 12, 2015, 14:57 Verno

Cutter wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 14:52:
It's far too dangerous a process to not have some sort of verification. Shit, park them around the corner and have a cop sneak up and scope out the house first. I don't see any reason why SWAT should be raiding places on just a single phone call from an anonymous source.

They don't just show up guns blazing to every single call, you have no idea what you're talking about and there are many situations where they do "scout" the situation. Sometimes people don't answer the door and they err on the side of possibly preventing a homicide rather than just heading back to the station and say aww shucks. There are many procedures in place for this but sometimes those call for a rapid entry because there are many legitimate calls where that is required and sometimes very little separates the two.

The real problem is the people making the calls, not the police. You can improve any process and departments are constantly refining their procedures every single year, I'm sure this is one of many things they will look at but acting like the cops are just a bunch of cowboys is incorrect and irresponsible.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 12, 2015, 14:40 Verno

Sure, the cops will just phone the place and ask if theres anything going on Rolleyes

People want the police to come in heavy if they're in trouble because that's how many of those calls go. The fact that some retard wants to abuse the process means the punishments should be severe to deter the practice, not that we stop having the police take these situations seriously. There is a whole escalation process here from 911 dispatcher to police entry, its already taken very seriously.

News Comments > Steam Gift Restrictions Tighten
4. Re: Steam Gift Restrictions Tighten Mar 12, 2015, 10:32 Verno

I just put things on my wishlist and wait until they hit my desired price.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 12, 2015, 09:28 Verno

Who says cops aren't held accountable?  

News Comments > Terraria: Otherworld Tower Defense Elements Revealed
7. Re: Terraria: Otherworld Tower Defense Elements Revealed Mar 11, 2015, 15:30 Verno

gilly775 wrote on Mar 11, 2015, 11:16:
Verno wrote on Mar 11, 2015, 09:52:
Really excited about this, got a lot of mileage out of Terraria, the addition of actual goals and objectives to sandboxers doesn't hurt things at all. Shame Starbound totally failed to deliver but hopefully this doesn't disappoint.

How did it totally fail to deliver? I'm still finding fun in both games.

Early on they were pretty tight in following the roadmap and adding new features. Then one of the leads left and things seemed to stagnate. I've also been frustrated that they seem to focus a lot on grindy bullshit that no one liked, often ignoring overwhelming feedback from users. A lot of aspects of the game could really use a sanity check in terms of time spent vs enjoyment. To be fair I haven't played it in awhile (since they forked it), I got kind of fed up and put it on the backburner. Maybe I'll spend some time on the weekend with the new version.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
22. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 11, 2015, 15:06 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 11, 2015, 14:41:
InBlack wrote on Mar 11, 2015, 03:27:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 20:57:
We are fighting a war on the street.

I know its a figure of speech but this is disturbing. If policemen feel they are in danger 24/7 they are much more likely to use excessive force.

I wish I could enlighten you - I just can't. Sorry. You can clip and snip all you want, but the whole post goes together, not just this one line.

Even in context that line isn't reassuring though and it just seems like you're dodging it. War is a word with meaning to many people, I'd be careful in how you use it as it just bolsters people like Cutter. I think you can tell by my earlier comments that I'm not anti-police or something but your words were a bit troubling without some explanation.

JD already said it best, missed his post.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2015, 15:15.

News Comments > Op Ed
35. Re: Op Ed Mar 11, 2015, 13:54 Verno

AngelicPenguin wrote on Mar 11, 2015, 13:10:
Verno wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 14:11:
The article makes some good points but doesn't really propose any real solutions. The volume alone makes Greenlight tedious for everyone involved but curating content by staff had its own set of complaints from devs/users. Perhaps some sort of hybrid system is best, I don't know.

Ya I felt the same way about it. If something isn't working, complaining about it is fine if you also offer some possible solutions/alternatives.

Maybe they don't have any, but then I probably wouldn't complain about something I can't think of a way to do better.

Fair enough but that's not quite what I meant though. I was just commenting that while the system is flawed, it's not easy to come up with solutions for anyone involved and that there will be people unhappy regardless. It's easy to highlight the problems but those have been known for awhile, the issue is that Valve's goals probably aren't realistic here.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
16. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 11, 2015, 10:07 Verno

Right wing isn't a pejorative no matter how much you want it to be. If you don't want to be dismissed out of hand then you need to be more mature and realize that there are opinions other than yours out there, insulting them just polarizes things even more.

To the topic itself I don't necessarily with some of the things you said but this is wrong:

And why do people need to call the cops to begin with? They're not allowed to defend themselves.

Yes you are allowed to defend yourself, don't be absurd. The reality is that most people do not want to defend themselves, that's why we live in a society where people assume defined roles and share communities. Police are absolutely desired by the general populace, its just an easy target for people to grumble about. Have you ever worked a job where you are never praised or recognized except for extraordinary events but your mistakes are heavily scrutinized? One that combines life and death situations with judgment calls that go above and beyond what most people have to make in their entire life? Decisions that have to be made in a split second while you fear for your life or the lives of others?

Maybe have an iota of empathy for policemen. There are bad cops out there but you take the good with the bad like everything else in society. Expecting cops to be perfect is ridiculous and for the most part I thinks cops are held accountable for their actions. The media doesn't like to focus on the routine layoff and firing of police for various reasons including disciplinary actions unless it accompanies a big social issue, its not a sexy story.

News Comments > Terraria: Otherworld Tower Defense Elements Revealed
1. Re: Terraria: Otherworld Tower Defense Elements Revealed Mar 11, 2015, 09:52 Verno

Really excited about this, got a lot of mileage out of Terraria, the addition of actual goals and objectives to sandboxers doesn't hurt things at all. Shame Starbound totally failed to deliver but hopefully this doesn't disappoint.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2015, 11:01.

News Comments > etc., etc.
26. Re: etc., etc. Mar 11, 2015, 09:47 Verno

Sepharo wrote on Mar 11, 2015, 01:12:
Verno wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 14:56:
Sepharo wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 23:59:
The only wireless things I have are my cellphone and tablet.
Wired mouse, keyboard, headphones.
There's an ethernet cable between my computer and router.

Who wants to deal with batteries and data loss.

Oh my god....

My comment was about a wireless controller, one that originates from the console world. I use wired connections for everything else for the record but it is a total waste to pay $60 and not at least get the option for wireless out of the box when talking about a controller.

This isn't about MLG Counter-Strike whatever.

Holy overreaction. I was just describing my setup. Wasn't really addressing your comment. I don't care what you use

YOU HAVEN'T SEEN AN OVERREACTION YET

Ok sorry my bad

News Comments > Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number Released
8. Re: Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number Released Mar 11, 2015, 09:40 Verno

This is one of the few games where I just want to kick back with the soundtrack, so awesome.  

News Comments > Descent Reboot Kickstarter
30. Re: Descent Reboot Kickstarter Mar 11, 2015, 09:37 Verno

Tom wrote on Mar 11, 2015, 08:52:
Descent without single player is not Descent IMO. This KS is pretty sketchy I think. Seems like it could easily be another "cash in on nostalgia, make bank on another mediocre 'reboot'" type situation. I hope it somehow works out, but no way am I funding it.

Yeah I tend to agree with you, I'm not interested in a MP only Descent.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 10, 2015, 16:16 Verno

BobBob wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 14:25:
Cutter wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 14:04:
BobBob wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 11:54:
You'll have plenty of time to do nothing when you're dead. In fact, nothingness will last quite a bit longer than your life that you've lived, up to now - including the short time that remains. So don't worry, you'll be doing a lot of nothing for an eternity -- sooner or later.

No you won't because nothing ever really dies. That energy, those atoms, etc. are all used in other things. I don't know what but I think there is something "more". Reincarnation, after a fashion, is most likely. It would explain a lot.

Jean Luc Picard on Death

It's the equivalent of saying, "Gravity is evident, for an object falls to the ground." Another person interjects, "No, that's not true, the object is falling toward the ground. The ground is lying on top of a liquid core with shifting land, and that land is on a planet orbiting a sun which itself is rotating millions of miles in a solar system that is spinning within a galaxy .. that galaxy is spinning in a vast cosmos -- so the object is really spinning in hundreds if not thousands of different directions and not actually falling."

On macro-cosmic perspective perhaps there is no 'death', but on a micro-singular-level, relative to the context of one's extremely limited perspective, death is the end of one's known existence -- or in this case consciousness as we know it -- or to refine it further: you will lose your identity; you will no longer be you.

Bob if you posted like this more often no one would care about the weather comments Well said.

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Video
34. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Video Mar 10, 2015, 15:39 Verno

Cutter wrote on Mar 7, 2015, 16:09:
It's always sad when a developer betrays and abandons the people that made them.

Uh what? How exactly did that occur here?

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
21. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 10, 2015, 15:24 Verno

Cutter wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 09:33:
InBlack wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 08:08:
I wonder if Cutter can 'see' in 3d. Maybe that is why he is so skeptical. Cutter can you experience depth? I have a friend who scoffs at 3d movies and anything 3d related so when I probed him further about it, apparently he doesnt have proper depth perception.

I for one am buying the Rift (or one of it's competitors) as soon as they release a decent hi-res version that's going to be usable in flight sims. The biggest obstacle in flight simming is always situational awareness and target tracking, something that is much harder in a sim environment where you lack depth perception. Yes this is a niche market but so is the enthusiast graphics card market, or the luxury car market, etc. etc.

The device will have a profound impact on gaming, at least enthusiast gaming at first.

My vision is just fine. I just don't care for silly gimmickry. As most other people don't seeing as the fad of 3D is dead yet again. Gimmicks don't last.

I hope this isn't going to be another case where we find out you haven't even evaluated the thing you're ranting about. Why is it a gimmick? Please give some specific rationale. VR has a lot of real world applications in both work and entertainment. People should just give up developing the technology because you don't like the first iteration? This isn't like 3D where it was largely a technology without any real upsides.

You seem to think these things are 20 pounds heavy and hurt to wear, the opposite is actually true. They are getting quite light and are slightly more uncomfortable than it is to wear a hat or glasses for a long period of time, if the person even notices at all and I doubt people will be using these for 5 hour long sessions. I think there are very real concerns about the technology like their long term effect on eye sight and market problems like uptake with women but you are focused on inaccurate assumptions.

Also many "gimmicks" last, in fact most of the tech you use now used to be a "gimmick" at one point or another. Even things as simple as portable phones were once considered an unnecessary fashion gimmick for the rich.

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2015, 15:40.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2015, 15:20 Verno

PHJF wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 15:16:
Apparently I need to go see this as soon as possible. A horror movie scoring that well *without* sending up the genre must be something special.

Thanks for the heads up on that, really hard to find good horror films. Not that it was ever a genre known for quality over quantity but the glut of found footage stuff these days is depressing.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 10, 2015, 15:07 Verno

Anyone with a brain will establish an LLC or something to shield them from any liability. There is no problem in search of a solution here, crowdfunding is subject to the same risks as investing without any of the ownership upsides. The answer for consumers weary about risk is the same as it always was - if you can't risk losing it then don't give your money to people who haven't provided you a product yet. Otherwise you just accept the risks involved.  

16815 Comments. 841 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo