Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 16306 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Interviews
24. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 4, 2014, 09:14 Verno

BitWraith wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 09:02:
Typical blame the woman for the man's behavior bullshit. It shouldn't matter if she was nude - control yourself.

I get your point but your appearance absolutely matters for both men and women in almost all facets of society. If I was going to be photographed for a commentary on gamergate I would be wearing dress casual at the minimum, if not a tie. You can bet if I was unshaved, wearing a tank top or a D&D shirt and saying anything that could be conceived as against feminist principles that people would be calling me the stereotype, I doubt anyone would be saying "who cares how he looks control yourself".

Of course its also easy to get the Cutters of the world worked up by doing so and get them to say sexist things on the internet which makes your agenda look better.

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Dec 3, 2014, 13:18 Verno

Spektr wrote on Dec 3, 2014, 04:15:
What's this all about with the Suicide Squad? They're already in the Arrow series. I don't see how they are going to use Harley Quinn and Deadshot as villains if they put them in that movie. Is Hardy going to reprise the part of Bane or another character? Chris Evan syndrome...

Hardy is playing Rick Flagg. Arrow and the movie don't have to make sense in terms of continuity either, companies have ignored stuff like that before.

The presence of Will Smith isn't encouraging though, he and his agent carefully neuter almost every role he takes so that there's no risk of harming his mass market audience.

News Comments > Game Reviews
7. Re: Game Reviews Dec 3, 2014, 12:37 Verno

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 3, 2014, 12:30:
I never really got the hate for DA2. I thought if fit perfectly fine within the DA narrative as a whole. It introduced some great characters and set up the mage-templar war that we're seeing now.

It was really shallow/repetitive and the writing was substandard IMO. They had 18 months to make it and it really showed. I never liked how hamfisted the plot setup was for the Mage-Templar conflict but DA:I does a pretty good job with the aftermath here.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2014, 12:42.

5. Re: Game Reviews Dec 3, 2014, 11:56 Verno

I think the Hinterlands is a direct reaction to the criticisms of DA2 not providing enough content and being too small. Honestly it's not a bad zone when you ignore the collection quests and just do the zone/story quests there. There's also a cool bandit fort and some other stuff to check out, plus a big scary dragon

Go advance the story a bit and check out Crestwood and Storm Coast. That will probably help.

2. Re: Game Reviews Dec 3, 2014, 10:24 Verno

The crafting interface is balls which is a shame because the system itself is actually pretty good. The rest of your complaints are totally valid but I will suggest just getting out of the Hinterlands for awhile and seeing what else the game has to offer before making up your mind.

Try to ignore the MMO filler as much as possible, it over levels you for story content and is frankly quite dull. I would focus on exploring, doing the main quest and companion quests for awhile. The story picks up significantly later on and its worth the wait. I only do the bullshit MMO crap if I am already in the area doing something else. Go do Crestwood, fight a dragon, check out some companion quests, advance the story, etc.

It's definitely a game with warts but overall there is more to it than the collection shit in the Hinterlands.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 3, 2014, 10:15 Verno

Sony outsources a lot of its IT stuff and you get what you pay for.  

News Comments > Target Halts Grand Theft Auto V Sales Down Under
3. Re: Target Halts Grand Theft Auto V Sales Down Under Dec 3, 2014, 09:38 Verno

Exactly Blue. GTA doesn't discriminate, it's violence against everyone.  

36. Re: Game Reviews Dec 3, 2014, 09:28 Verno

Redmask wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 22:26:

I am referring to specializiations which are locked in once chosen.

I don't mind specs being permanent, lends a bit of weight to your class decision and we already make very few given that so many things are chosen for you (attributes for example). You can always play around with your companions for awhile to help you make the decision, they get their specs at around 10ish IIRC.

23. Re: Game Reviews Dec 2, 2014, 14:43 Verno

If you don't get some guard gen on hit stuff for Bull/Cole, Nightmare makes it almost impossible to use them in any effective role. Heck even on Hard they were dying all the time for me until I did that. I really want to make a 2H build though because I'm convinced the AI is just doing a shitty job

I really miss the fine grained tactics system more than anything else I think. Even DA2 did that well.

21. Re: Game Reviews Dec 2, 2014, 14:36 Verno

OpticNerve wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 14:32:
One thing that baffles me a bit is that archers have the option to move (and eventually upgraded to run) while attacking but as far as I know, melee characters don't seem to have that option. I think that having the option to be able to move while meleeing would make melee combat a lot more fun rather than having it root you in place when attacking and having the enemy move away while you're flailing at the air.

I can understand the reasoning for that in slow-paced games such as the Dark Souls 1 and 2, but DA:I is a bit more fast-paced and I think it would have benefited from a snappy melee combat system similar to Guild Wars 2 IMO.

There are few drawbacks to playing ranged to be honest, its an all around fantastic experience. You can attack from extremely long engagement ranges with it, you get elevation bonuses if you talent it, nice big view of the field to better deal with things, lots of damage/utility options and great specs. In previous games ranged was kind of an afterthought but I have to say they did well by it here. Archer Rogue is fantastic for dragons especially.

18. Re: Game Reviews Dec 2, 2014, 14:29 Verno

gravity wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 14:24:
Right, but that was what I was inferring - although I'm using a gamepad, if I 'lock' and 'fire..' (which I assume is the same mechanic, albeit with different buttons to push on a KB/M), he closes in even from a distance.

Is it really different when doing the same 'function' between KB/M? It shouldn't be. That would be a huge flaw in the design.

I'm not even sure what you mean by lock, if you mean have the enemy selected (another issue, tiny selection zones for clicking things in this game) then yes I've done that and it doesn't remedy the problem I was describing.

16. Re: Game Reviews Dec 2, 2014, 14:21 Verno

gravity wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 14:02:
Verno wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 13:54:
The engagement range on enemies is tiny meaning you often whiff if people move an inch, positioning is annoying due to the enlarged models on several enemies and there is no auto-move to enemy to list a few examples.

Now THIS I certainly don't have an issue with.

If I'm 'locked' onto a target with my stabby, and holding Up (on my gamepad, but that's another disagreement) my character moves forward to MEET the enemy, even if out of range.

To your point, if I'm not locked (ie: targeting reticle isn't yellow instead of white), then yes, I'll whiff. I just auto-lock everyone and send in the clow.. er.. caltrops.

You're using a gamepad, I'm referencing the KB/M controls here. But an aside, in the other games your character would shift slightly to accommodate small adjustments in melee range without needing manual interaction. It's not the end of the world but its one of the reasons playing ranged is more enjoyable for me until they fix things up. The Bioware feedback forum has more comprehensive lists of melee issues from both gamepad and KB/M users but I've only dabbled briefly so I can't speak to all of them.

13. Re: Game Reviews Dec 2, 2014, 13:54 Verno

I appreciate the offer but I saw a similar script several days ago on the Bioware forums dude, its just the general controls and mechanics. The engagement range on enemies is tiny meaning you often whiff if people move an inch, positioning is annoying due to the enlarged models on several enemies and there is no auto-move to enemy to list a few examples. Ranged is just easier to play and you have the added bonus of seeing the whole field. Melee tends to do more burst damage but it also soaks a lot of damage/CC from enemy abilities. I should have done melee first though, I am totally spoiled by the survivability, utility and etc from ranged classes.

Hopefully they address some of this stuff (and other PC oddities) in a patch soon. They are lucky the game is relatively stable because the UI/controls they shipped in the PC version are a disgrace.

11. Re: Game Reviews Dec 2, 2014, 13:14 Verno

Blackwall spec'd down the right side of the Champion tree is unkillable for me in Nightmare. Dude is crazy, ungodly amounts of invuln time + guard. I can't even remember the last time he took damage. I like the spell purge from templar/Cass but I don't like how its PBAOE.

My Archer Rogue is just an absolute monster in terms of damage/utility. Not sure what I will do for a second playthrough. Melee combat is really tedious for me until they patch the game up, I might just do a Rift Mage or something.

My favorite zone so far (without getting into spoilers) is Crestwood. Cool zone quest there and a lot going on plus one of the cooler dragons.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2014, 13:02 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 12:59:
I would imagine it was more of a situation where it was a location shoot and it was there.....

In the article it says an assistant set designer bought it for $500 apparently.

News Comments > Peter Molyneux Hitting The Trail
9. Re: Peter Molyneux Hitting The Trail Dec 2, 2014, 12:11 Verno

I was sure someone would've made a crack about The Fail by now but perhaps people are finally moving on from that silliness  

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Dec 2, 2014, 11:22 Verno

I don't understand why people keep throwing money at this game and I suspect they don't know the reason either.  

6. Re: Game Reviews Dec 2, 2014, 11:13 Verno

There's a well known bug that's affecting some people where they don't hear music or party banter. Bioware is having a hard time tracking it down, some things fix it for some people and not others etc.

I had it near the beginning for awhile but something fixed it and I'm not even sure what.

Just watching a twitch stream with Bioware and they said 3 patches are on the way apparently. The first patch should land "soon".

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 2014, 11:21.

4. Re: Game Reviews Dec 2, 2014, 10:37 Verno

I'll start with the bad - the sidequest content is mostly MMO collection crap which is disappointing to be honest. I'm like 80% through the game and I can say with confidence that Orzammar in DA:O has more dialogue and sidequest depth than the entirety of DA:I sidequest content. There are some in DA:I but they are few and far between. I think they were probably sensitive to the criticisms of DA2 under delivering on content and just tried to do as much as possible. Understandable but they almost went too far in the other direction with filler.

That being said the rest of the game is pretty awesome. The main storyline is so well realized with interesting themes, lots of conflict and meaningful choices that it seems poorly contrasted against collecting 18 shards in every zone and all of the other tedious shit there is. The companion quests are hit and miss but mostly hit. The exploration aspect is great, they created a beautiful world. There are some very well designed zones and a few dungeon runs that are pretty memorable/atmospheric. Combat is a bit too easy for my tastes, even bumped up to Nightmare the challenge level drops off after about level 10 unless you purposely ignore crafting or take substandard builds. That being said its engaging enough to be satisfying for the most part. The voice actors (except for IB) are pretty good and the writing overall is a big step up from DA2.

Its a really good value for the money and overall a pretty good game. I think they're almost there in terms of the formula, they just need to refine it a bit and have a little more depth in the tertiary content. I could have done with 1-2 less zones in exchange for more substance. It is much better than DA2 though and definitely worth a purchase.

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 2014, 10:55.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 2, 2014, 09:57 Verno

I've had none of those issues with my Nexus 4, I would just factory restore it. Your contacts are saved automatically, apps and etc are all restored very easily, its like 10 minutes of work tops.  

16306 Comments. 816 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo