Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 16164 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Previews
12. Re: Evening Previews Nov 6, 2014, 10:24 Verno

Acleacius wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 22:49:
Too bad GTA doesn't let you roll your own toon in open world. I'd have a lot more respect for GTA, if at the very least they let you play as neutral, if not a good toon.

Forced villain? Bleh... Shakefist

"A good toon"? Jesus christ man. Go look at the name of the game again. Did you really expect a redemption story or something?

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 6, 2014, 10:23 Verno

Fair point.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 6, 2014, 10:05 Verno

They probably made some poor sherpa or yak hike it up to Everest Base Camp. What a fucking dumb PR stunt.  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Trailer
9. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Trailer Nov 6, 2014, 08:37 Verno

I'm out for this one, not enough new. The AC games are ok but the formula has worn thin on me. I only enjoyed the naval exploration bits of AC4, the rest of the game I was just going through the motions.  

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
26. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Nov 5, 2014, 19:30 Verno

Creston wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 16:20:
You're not seeing it based on the word of one guy, who played DA:I for four hours, and in that four hours stumbled around the opening zone. He may just have stumbled the way of the boring subquests, and missed a whole bunch of good stuff?

Yeah I'll take the opinions of people who played it over nothing at all, sure. I'm not passing be all, end all judgment or something, just commenting on whats available. It's not just one video either, there are dozens to look at.

How do you know that? How do you know there's not a good reason for your character to be put in charge?"

I don't know, the press seems to know based on their playing through the entire prologue though. Maybe Bioware will pull some masterful storytelling and explain it in a surprise third act reveal that I am really Darth Revan who caused the rift...but I doubt it

There were a FEW of those types of quests. Seriously, you seem to remember that the entire game was full of these awesome side quests, and it really wasn't. Maybe you just remember all the ancillary main quest missions as being side quests or something.

There was more than a few, yes many sidequests involved main quest areas but overall the depth of the non-collection quests was impressive, especially compared to DA2 and the types of quests seen in Skyrim. DA:O in general had some great quests, main or otherwise.

Anyways I guess we'll see in 2 weeks! If you preordered then let us the rest of know!

This comment was edited on Nov 5, 2014, 19:40.

24. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Nov 5, 2014, 15:40 Verno

Fair enough I see your point and its well taken. I will try to keep an open mind.  

22. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Nov 5, 2014, 14:39 Verno

Drayth wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 14:31:
And yes, I'm replaying Origins right now and the majority of side quests are a billboard you put a stamp on and go do them. So, actually having a voiced conversation is a step up over that. We'll see.

The majority of the literal billboard quests were that sort of thing. The other quests had a lot of variety, dialogue and often impacted the story in subtle but interesting ways.

At DA:O's release I remember at least one complaint here from someone about the game being too linear and boring, etc while he was in the first 4-6 hours of DA:O, and everyone was telling him.. yeah, you have to hold out (till after Ostagar) before the game opens up!

I don't hear anyone complaining that DA:I seems like its too linear though. 4-6 hours wow by the way, I remember the prologue taking half that time.

I'm not writing off DA:I but I'm going to wait for a few weeks after release and see how it ends up after the honeymoon period.

20. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Nov 5, 2014, 14:13 Verno

but did you guys forget there were TONS of those "go fetch me xx of yy" quests in Origins too? Or the "go here and hit X" quests? Basically every single quest that came from an in-game bulletin board was of the "Go to place A to do B a C number of times."

It existed to pad out the game a bit but it wasn't all that there was available. You could safely ignore it and there was a ton of other more interesting content which is what I'm looking for but not seeing so far in DA:I.

The first 4 hours of DA:O sets up a very intriguing story and builds a framework for your character. The more meaty sidequests come later. By comparison this just thrusts you into a seemingly ridiculous role "random guy can affect rifts everyone take orders from him now". Sure there were some bulletin board quests in DA:O but there was also a ton of more interesting ones. In random sidequests in DA:O you often found lots of choice, consequence and some even lasted a long chunk of the game.

I really don't want a game full of "Defeat the bandits!" variants for 50 hours or zone copy/pastes. So far they haven't demonstrated almost anything of significance in terms of quest variety or consequence, I don't really buy the "spoilers" excuses either. You really want to put your best foot forward, especially after you shipped the mess that was DA2.

I do hope that they are just holding back but like the guys in the video say the world they've demonstrated looks pretty but seems kind of lifeless and the complaints about a lack of attachment to the story/characters are a common theme I've heard from the pre-release media. I'd like to be optimistic but no way I'm preordering this after the previous game and the preview material being fairly ho-hum outside of graphics.

This comment was edited on Nov 5, 2014, 14:35.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 5, 2014, 13:06 Verno

I've never actually experienced a problem with anything on my PS4 outside of the store being down for maintenance. Microsoft is no stranger to updates having issues either by the way, these things happen sometimes.  

News Comments > Fallout: Shadow of Boston German TM [Updated]
6. Re: Fallout: Shadow of Boston German TM Nov 5, 2014, 10:05 Verno

Yeah I'm definitely ready for more Fallout, that new DA game looks like Bethesda-lite material, I doubt I would get much mileage out of it.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 5, 2014, 09:05 Verno

ForgedReality wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 00:52:
WHEN IS THE FUCKING 980TI COMING OUT??! >:\

January paper launch, February actual is the rumor.

14. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Nov 5, 2014, 08:52 Verno

Do you have a link to the video? Can't see it on their page.

Edit: NVM, link here. Yeah wow that is not exactly thrilling to hear, glad I didn't preorder this. The terrible sidequests were the worst part of DA2, really disappointed to hear they didn't learn that lesson.

37. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 4, 2014, 15:33 Verno

Barely more than the Wii U last I checked. Microsoft is effectively subsidizing the Xbox and has been for a long time, when you factor in R&D it doesn't make money. They're in it for reasons other than just making money though, leveraging other products and blah blah blah. Sony has the opposite problem, the Playstation is making a lot of money but the rest of the company is not. Sony is certainly in a strong position though at 13.75 million units and going. I never imagined it selling that much this quickly with a $400 price tag.  

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
12. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 4, 2014, 12:58 Verno

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 11:18:
You guys are an embarrassment for the male gender. Those GamerGate pussies would be real proud of y'all though.

In the meantime: Grow some fucking BALLS fer fuck's sake!

Hahaha real men pull themselves by their bootstraps and turn on cheat codes to fight the invincible alien derpity derp!

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
4. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 4, 2014, 09:57 Verno

Numinar wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 09:43:
Windowed full-screen in AI's options fixes that if these drivers don't.

Not a great solution, but lets me play without those immersion killing super long load screens, and after a slow start, I am really getting into this game.

It may kill me via heart attack as the tension and adrenalin that comes from knowing that it's not fucking FAIR but maybe if you make the right decisions moment to moment you can reach the next save/objective is amazing. Seemed a bit trial and error at first but like Spelunky, once you put the systems together and work out the games logic, it's a reasonably terrifying nightmare ride without too much stupidity.

This after only a few hours though, interesting to see if it keeps it up as I'm not sure how many more tricks it can possibly have up it's sleeve.

It's an interesting game, I can only play it in 30-40 minute spurts due to the tension and constant sense of danger. At this rate I'll finish it in another 3 months

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2014, 09:34 Verno

I don't put a lot of stock into polling but it seems like the Dems are in for a ride. Good luck!  

31. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 4, 2014, 09:20 Verno

btallas wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 17:47:

Out of curiosity, why don't you hate sony for not porting to PC?

Sony almost never releases for the PC and it's also a Japanese company, the PC gaming market there is miniscule so to some extent they can be forgiven. So while that's annoying, its at least expected in terms of behavior. Microsoft only the other hand is the absent minded parent of PC gaming who sometimes releases things, sometimes doesn't and can't really be counted on to be consistent.

News Comments > etc., etc.
10. Re: Aero's Quest HTML5 Nov 4, 2014, 08:33 Verno

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 21:04:
NKD wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 20:55:
Didn't really think GTA5 music was all that memorable.

It wasn't. If anything it had the worst collection of music from any GTA game.

Agreed, the music in GTA5 was awful. They picked a lot of B tracks.

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale Nov 4, 2014, 08:33 Verno

Prez wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 03:42:
What is "G2A"? I want WatchDogs for 8 bucks!!!

One of those dubious keysites that often resells out of region keys. Success rate on those varies and you really need to pay attention to activation instructions. Not sure if uPlay is easier in this regard than Steam though.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Nov 3, 2014, 15:37 Verno

Ozmodan wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 11:33:
I really don't get the clueless people that make bots. I guess it is the idiots that buy them. What is the point of playing a game that you really don't play?

I don't know why you would think people are clueless for doing so, it takes quite a bit of time and effort. Do some programming sometime. I've written bots and scripts for several MMOs before and some ARPGs. Before you cry about balance and affecting the game, I never released them to the general public and outside of testing barely used them myself. It's enjoyable and challenging task all unto itself, quite often I don't really do it until I start to get bored of the game anyway. The hostile reactions from players like you is more about the perceived balance disparity and though many won't admit it, simple jealousy.

Sometimes its as much or more fun gaming the system they've created as it is playing it. You also tend to learn a lot about the game when making one.

16164 Comments. 809 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo