Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 17228 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 15, 2015, 09:35 Verno

The Darkbase 01 story was a source of amusement on the weekend, total meltdown.  

Playing: Dota 2 Reborn, The Witcher 3, Super Metroid
Watching: Galaxy Quest, True Detective S2, Dark Matter
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
32. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 15, 2015, 09:15 Verno

CS:GO is huge, its one of the most played FPS games on the PC. People play it with their friends who tell other people and it continues. IT also has a low barrier of entry, a large selection of custom content and costs very little. It's really that simple.  

News Comments > Dishonored 2 Announced
11. Re: Dishonored 2 Announced Jun 15, 2015, 09:03 Verno

Dishonored was a great surprise hit, I just hope they do a little more work on the AI for stealth runners. Game felt a bit too easy at times.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 in November
69. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 15, 2015, 09:02 Verno

I'll wait and see on the dialogue system. So far I'm fairly impressed, the visuals aren't quite up to par but I don't play these games for the visuals anyway and mods will fix a lot of that up.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2015, 15:38 Verno

Murdoch stepping down, yay! Wait James Murdoch? Ugh new boss same as the old boss, boo.

This comment was edited on Jun 12, 2015, 16:04.

News Comments > The Ship HD Announced
4. Re: The Ship HD Announced Jun 12, 2015, 15:26 Verno

nin wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 08:55:
The original was fun, in small doses, especially with a group. I'd play it again.

Yeah, I wouldn't rush out to grab this but I'll definitely Steam sale it sometime to play with friends.

News Comments > Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian
62. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 11, 2015, 13:52 Verno

Gimme a fucking break Verno, that's the kind of argument that makes me not take you seriously often.

Obsidian sequeled the Fallout series, SWTOR series, NWN, made SPSOT, Wasteland 2, marketed with constant dips in the Baldurs Gate pool, etc. AND, are going to be making the Pathfinder series. They have some of the heftiest RPG nostalgia factor in the business with plenty of modern mega hits, all before the Pillars hype.

Comparing Obsidian to Larian would be laughable in any normal conversation with most of you "where the wind blows" opinion riders...

I'm not arguing anything, its not a fight or something. I was just saying I don't think Obsidian really qualifies as a "juggernaut" but obviously you meant resume when I thought size. Frankly I don't think either company has much of a reputation with the average gamer and that both are fairly niche though Obsidian obviously less than Larian.

I liked both games and feel no need to declare undying loyalty toward video game products. If people need to make one THE BEST then ugh whatever, have fun.

News Comments > etc., etc.
12. Re: etc., etc. Jun 11, 2015, 12:32 Verno

I've had everything from "cant launch any programs" to "the taskbar disappears entirely" and that's on the slow channel, the fast channel is constant bugs/breakage. I hope they will pin it down but the preview is really rough around the edges at times. Oh well I guess we'll see in a month.  

10. Re: etc., etc. Jun 11, 2015, 11:51 Verno

I've been running 10 awhile. The virtual desktops are nice but it hasn't made a huge difference in my workflow. Boot times are faster, the flat theme is kinda silly but whatever. They keep changing the icons, the latest ones are less shitty thankfully. My biggest beefs are the insane telemetrics (wiresharking this thing is crazy) which they will hopefully turn off for release and new update channels. It is however pretty unrefined for something that is RTMing in a month, I've had major show stoppers even on slow channel.  

News Comments > Logitech's $400 Racing Wheel
6. Re: Logitech's $400 Racing Wheel Jun 11, 2015, 10:38 Verno

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 09:10:
Like fuck would I buy a racing wheel for my PC with that fucking shitty Xbone logo on it. I'd have to vomit on my $399 wheel every ten seconds. Thanks but how about the fuck no?!??
It's gonna be hard enough to stock up on a lifetime supply of barf bags for Windows 10 when you are greeted by some Xbox shit screen every time you do anything related to gaming on that OS.

Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn

60. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 11, 2015, 09:50 Verno

I don't care about the larger debate here but I'm just going to point out that Obsidian is not a juggernaut, they employ like 130 people during crunch and tend to layoff a good chunk of those after, they've also only been around since 2003ish. Larian employs something like 40-50 and have been around since the late 90s. EA and Ubisoft are juggernauts. Neither Obsidian nor Larian qualify, they are both small companies who can barely staff more than a project or two at once. Obsidian has tended to take a lot of contract work from the AAA side of the industry to pay the bills but they've also worked on smaller projects like Larian. I don't think Obsidian has the same cachet as Bioware or something either, I bet if you asked the average gamer most would stare blankly at you just like if you said Larian but I guess YMMV. Not that it really matters in the first place, if Larian was a 2 man studio and Obsidian employed 2000 I would still compare their respective games based on their merits. Fun is fun no matter the size of the company who made the game.

Anyways I'm bored with this so I'll just wish Mr Avellone well and hope that he lands somewhere to continue great work in games. Maybe at Larian!

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2015, 09:04 Verno

Sucks about Christopher Lee

That shark is a swimming bus, jesus christ. I saw a 13 foot tiger shark while diving in Mexico and it seems like a runt by comparison. The exploratory bite it did to the cage there would've scared me inside, not sure wtf that guy was thinking.

8. Re: etc., etc. Jun 11, 2015, 08:44 Verno

Someone will backport a driver quickly for this, pretty silly.  

55. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 10, 2015, 13:42 Verno

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 10, 2015, 12:09:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 10, 2015, 02:17:
Obsidian never advertised themselves as the makers of BG, which is easily the most well-known of the IE games and the series that received successful remasters across multiple platforms. Here's another fun fact: The Icewind Dale remaster has sold around 45k copies on Steam. Pretty popular, eh? All those mainstream gamers really embracing Obsidian's legendary historical status!

I'm not going to address all of the complete additional bullshit you posted on top of your already very impressive pile but just to illustrate how uninformed you are... here it is straight from the Project Enternity Kickstarter website under the introductory "Welcome to Project Eternity" headline. It's literally the first paragraph on the project:

Obsidian Entertainment and our legendary game designers Chris Avellone, Tim Cain, and Josh Sawyer are excited to bring you a new role-playing game for the PC. Project Eternity (working title) pays homage to the great Infinity Engine games of years past: Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment.

Project Eternity aims to recapture the magic, imagination, depth, and nostalgia of classic RPG's that we enjoyed making - and playing. At Obsidian, we have the people responsible for many of those classic games and we want to bring those games back… and that’s why we’re here - we need your help to make it a reality!

^ so... yeah, Obsidian did not advertise themselves as the makers of BG or other Infinity engine games at all, right? Naaaaahhh. Not at all. Why would they? Rolleyes

I don't see anything factually incorrect or deceptive about the text, you seem to be just interpreting it a different way than he is. I read that and I think that they are trying to make a game like those games, not that they made all of those games and are making a new one.

Where is this all leading? If PoE sold more copies than D:OS or Witcher 3, would that make it a better game? If it sells less is it suddenly terrible? Jerykk's points seem pretty clear to me and that's coming from someone who has argued with him him countless times in the past. Neither game was a mainstream success and PoEs sales being what they are shouldn't surprise anyone nor is it indicative of its quality (or lack thereof depending on your view). These games are a niche market now and POE is no exception. Perhaps if it was released at a different point or during a Steam sale it would've done better but that's in the past. The bigger question is did it make enough to do a sequel? If not then its unfortunate because I think it has a lot of promise and just needs refinement.

50. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 10, 2015, 11:45 Verno

Jerykk wrote on Jun 10, 2015, 00:42:
So, all things considered, PoE has done pretty well. Had it launched during a Steam sale, it would likely have numbers pretty close to Divinity's.

Yep exactly. Not sure why people are turning it into some weird epeen thing. Neither game was a blockbuster so it seems pretty silly to be debating who had 100k more sales on X service or whatever. All I care about is that they do well enough to get sequels. They were good games in their own way, I had frustrations and annoyances with both but there is a lot of promise there too.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Jun 10, 2015, 10:56 Verno

The mediocre compensation and long hours make it a revolving door industry, you seek management positions quickly or you get GTFO. Unfortunately they have a never ending supply of hopeful young workers to fill the ranks, people who don't have families yet.  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2015, 10:19 Verno

Hey I'm right there with you on Prometheus, it was a frustrating mess.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2015, 09:52 Verno

I uninstalled iTunes awhile ago after third party software finally started being able to properly sync with my aging ipod, that software is a giant pile of shit.  

7. Re: etc., etc. Jun 10, 2015, 09:30 Verno

Sorry to see AE closing, good luck dude and thanks for the reviews.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 10, 2015, 09:22 Verno

Yep exactly Saboth. These companies got insane subsidies for decades and instead used the money to expand their wireless networks. They basically hoodwinked the public and the government.  

17228 Comments. 862 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo