Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 17360 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 9, 2015, 16:04 Verno

Having used both I don't think its in the same universe as Android, like I wouldn't even compare them in terms of feature sets and app selection. I haven't used iOS in awhile so no clue there. Either way it'll be up to OEMs to decide the fate of Windows Phone in the future.

Zune on the other hand was awesome software, so much better than iTunes. Damned shame that Microsoft is late to market on...everything it seems.

Playing: The Witcher 3
Watching: True Detective
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Stars Early Access
7. Re: Into the Stars Early Access Jul 9, 2015, 14:38 Verno

Thanks for the description, sounds interesting.  

News Comments > GOG.com's Windows 10 Support
40. Re: GOG.com's Windows 10 Support Jul 9, 2015, 14:34 Verno

Pretty much every organization I've been with (except for this one thankfully) is exactly that strict, if not more so. Sarbanes–Oxley has made life in IT much more complicated. I can't imagine any IT guys here letting us introduce that kind of security hole into the network.  

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 9, 2015, 13:38 Verno

Nokia already tried that approach, it didn't work. You also can't keep that kind of manufacturing unit around to make 2 models, there's no money in it. People don't want Windows Phones for various reasons. This still lets them offer the option through OEMs while saving billions, its a no brainer from their perspective.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
13. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 9, 2015, 12:54 Verno

If you read his post history he never even approaches coherent.  

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 9, 2015, 12:52 Verno

Windows Phone wasn't building momentum for anything was the problem and it was costing them billions to maintain the hardware side of things.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 9, 2015, 12:34 Verno

Rocket League was in beta for awhile, this wasn't something I recall people encountering very often. Game is hilarious and owns by the way.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jul 8, 2015, 15:24 Verno

Kxmode wrote on Jul 8, 2015, 15:05:
https://www.reddit.com/user/Korval/comments/ check out my comments in the Hornet's nest. Those people are so utterly blind it's sad. But the reading is entertaining, if a tad rough.

Your comments there make you sound unbalanced, I can't say I'm surprised you aren't winning the hearts and minds of the Roberts faithful. Or perhaps it would make more sense in the context, not sure.

21. Re: GOG.com's Windows 10 Support Jul 8, 2015, 14:41 Verno

descender wrote on Jul 8, 2015, 14:12:
You can change the icon size in the Appearances CP in older versions of windows, did they remove that?

Yes, its all or nothing now with DPI scaling settings alone, no other toggles. In their effort to unify the various Control Panel/etc elements they missed a bunch of toggles. Jumplist customization is also gone from the taskbar properties, I used to be able to limit it to X items now it just does whatever it wants. I'm still digging around in the registry trying to find workarounds for the things that bug me. For now you can't opt out of "optional" windows updates like drivers either which is bugging the shit out of me but hopefully thats coming soon.

Overall though its been a fairly positive experience. It's fast, resource footprint is noticeably down and everyday use is fine. The new start menu is better than the Windows 8 one. The store is a non-starter for me anyway so I just ignore it.

7. Re: GOG.com's Windows 10 Support Jul 8, 2015, 13:30 Verno

Pr()ZaC wrote on Jul 8, 2015, 13:26:
It's great for high resolution monitors...not!
Changing the DPI doesn't make them fatter for you?

Changing DPI affects other elements too is the problem. The taskbar icons are so small that they have a large, empty black outline around them. They are pointlessly small, just to make room for their dumb Cortana bar that will fail horribly because less than 1% of users will give a shit about a voiced data assistant on the PC. They look even dumber in the start menu, win32 apps especially look downright comical.

There are things I like about Windows 10 but making the taskbar icons smaller was pretty dumb, I already know I'm going to be inundated with complaints from anyone over the age 35 about how to make them bigger.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Maps Return; Butcher Not OP
8. Re: Heroes of the Storm Maps Return; Butcher Not OP Jul 8, 2015, 13:26 Verno

InBlack wrote on Jul 8, 2015, 12:24:
There you go:

https://www.hotslogs.com/Player/Profile?PlayerID=2576802

Not a secret, after all Not entirely accurate as it doesnt log every single match, but pretty close on average. (If I uploaded all of my replays, then it would be 100% accurate)

It's not like Dota where they publish your MMR in ranked matches. MMR in HOTS is obfuscated and your link is a guesstimate. It should be visible in the UI. Dota used to do it that way too and started publishing it after too much confusion from users and misinformation from third party sites.

3. Re: GOG.com's Windows 10 Support Jul 8, 2015, 13:22 Verno

I swear, Win10 is the biggest honeypot in the history of technology. That shit is going to rape control and privacy from the user once and for all. >:(

There is a lot of telemetrics but that's just the preview edition, every beta always has that stuff turned on. You can disable the retarded cortana and other web search shit inside of the default UI, no registry editing or etc necessary. You don't need to sign in with a Microsoft account either, just make a local one. Beyond that it's just Windows as usual, what's the problem?

My biggest beef with Windows 10 is that they shrunk the taskbar icons down to 32px from 52px, they look retarded now.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2015, 12:16 Verno

What the hell? That's an awesome video and clearly a skilled wingsuit user, but surely there are mountains somewhere just littered with the bodies of less talented wingsuiters? That's just a crazy hobby.

Looks fun of course, but also stupidly dangerous.

BASE shit is not exactly a safe hobby, something like 200+ fatalities in the past 10 years alone which is a lot considering how small the community is. I'm a mountaineer and I won't touch that shit.

Giant Robot Duel?! There's no way we're beating Japan at giant robots.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 8, 2015, 10:11 Verno

Yeah that's pretty fucking stupid, throwing away all of that brand recognition for the sake of nothing.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated]
140. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated] Jul 8, 2015, 09:38 Verno

You've gone cuckoo IB.  

News Comments > No Man's Sky Gameplay Video
31. Re: No Man's Sky Gameplay Video Jul 7, 2015, 16:09 Verno

Xero wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 15:58:
What's with all the hate? This looks pretty damn cool.

There is plenty of potential.

Leftovers from when they weren't showing much, takes awhile for the bandwagon to turn around with its wide right turns

I was pretty skeptical before but it looks genuinely cool now and I'm ready to check it out.

News Comments > Witcher 3 Inventory Patch This Week
24. Re: Witcher 3 Inventory Patch This Week Jul 7, 2015, 16:08 Verno

The mutagen crafting bug was fixed in the last patch. The bug where your mutagen bonuses disappear after reloading a save is still kicking and might be slated for fixes in this patch, not sure though. It's not exactly game breaking but it is pretty annoying when it happens.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 7, 2015, 15:42 Verno

Yep and Groove is actually some shitty old enterprise software they had too.  

News Comments > No Man's Sky Gameplay Video
25. Re: No Man's Sky Gameplay Video Jul 7, 2015, 14:46 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 14:07:
Yeah, it's like a colorful more whimsical Elite in some respects, but with planetary landings and exploration.

It's good to be skeptical, but this is kind of the holy grail of space games: complete freedom to go wherever you want, do whatever you want without any artificial restrictions or arbitrary invisible walls. I think it looks pretty awesome, and am looking forward to playing this. With open world games like this, I tend to play 40 or 50 hours, then put it down and come back a year later and play another 40 or 50 hours. I expect this game will be the same for me.

Yep exactly. You need some imagination for a game like this and the trick is also not trying to make it the only game you play for 6 months or something silly. As long as they have enough templates to keep things interesting I'm happy.

Hardware > Cut the cord media setups
5. No subject Jul 7, 2015, 14:39 Verno

I converted over from Sickbeard to Sonarr last year (also from sabnzbd to nzbget), it has failed download handling support which is really nice due to prevalence of DMCAs now and also can do torrents/etc. Can't get into more detail without violating site policy on piracy/etc. It's pretty swank. Only real problem is the mono requirement if your NAS/server is running *nix.

Only problem is buying new harddrives all the time

Yeah for sure. I have a rule now, if you aren't going to watch it ever again then we don't need it. I thought no way a household of 3 could fill 12TB but I had to clear space already. All of those silly reality shows for the woman!

17360 Comments. 868 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo