Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 16164 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Interviews
12. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 21, 2014, 15:59 Verno

Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 13:46:
I'd just like to see the zones transition into each other organically like they do in WoW.

WoW doesn't look like this though. It would be cool but its not technically feasible yet in any engine I've seen save for maybe The Witcher 3 but I guess we'll see.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age: Inquisition
128. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age: Inquisition Nov 21, 2014, 15:14 Verno

Yeah exactly, people really shouldn't get hung up on completing every single thing they come across. A lot of it isn't even intended to be completed right away.  

News Comments > WoW 10th Anniversary Celebrations
10. Re: WoW 10th Anniversary Celebrations Nov 21, 2014, 13:04 Verno

Some of those battles at TM were effing amazing. Soooo much fun.

Yeah they were awesome, I loved the back and forth. Horde was severely outnumbered on our server so we always struggled and had to really work together.

I really miss the world of this game, very well realized and I had a real sense of awe/wonder exploring it at the time.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2014, 10:25 Verno

Happy Birthday Blue. Do you have a Steam wishlist or something if people wanted to get you a little gift?  

124. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age: Inquisition Nov 21, 2014, 09:40 Verno

harlock wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 22:58:
man this game requires a controller... mouse and keyboard is bullshit

considering how streamlined everything is, im really enjoying it

i feel like bioware has become their own genre at this point - because this game is more like a choose your own adventure with rpg features and lite strategy management or something... its very far from a "hardcore" rpg in the traditional sense, and yet its fucking super deep

I don't know, once I rebound several things and made up some binds with my mouse software its going fine. The tactical camera is definitely clunky no matter what though and considering the wonky state of the AI that is a problem. The interface was definitely designed with a controller in mind but honestly I find it pretty bullshit even with a PS4 controller. The tactical cam in general just wasn't well designed.

123. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age: Inquisition Nov 21, 2014, 09:30 Verno

Redmask wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 07:16:
This is disingenuous and taken out of context, they started the overall design map as a multiplayer game but it changed long before they ever got to production to a singleplayer game. This is obvious if you have played the game for any length of time instead of just reading about it online.

There's a lot of MMO type quests in the game but its all optional and there are some cool sidequests in random places in the world. Anyone complaining about grind shouldn't be taken seriously, its their own fault. There are many quests I didn't like so I just didn't bother doing them and the game is just fine played that way. This isn't WoW where you need to do the whole zone to be at a decent level. The game is paced very well, I got bored of the Hinterlands and advanced the story without doing a lot of the quests and I'm progressing without issues.

Game has legit issues but they're mostly related to UI and controls. The core gameplay itself I'm finding very enjoyable and the quests are nicely varied. The collection stuff is well mixed with other types of quests, particularly past the Hinterlands.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Nov 20, 2014, 15:17 Verno

I can't believe they split 3 reason over 2 pages. That's a new low even for Cracked.  

News Comments > WoW Re-Passes 10M Subscribers
41. Re: WoW Re-Passes 10M Subscribers Nov 20, 2014, 13:20 Verno

Blizzard is really good at constantly reinventing themselves with this game. I won't go back since theres too many other games to play but I will always fondly remember my time with it and respect them for what they did with this.  

112. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age: Inquisition Nov 20, 2014, 13:15 Verno

Archer is pretty fun and very viable damage wise. It doesn't do the single target damage of DW Rogue but it also doesn't have the risks of sitting in crazy AoEs and having weird positional hang ups. You also get elevation bonuses and you can pick up a lot of cool subterfuge talents to supplement. It feels a lot stronger and more fun than DA:O for sure. Not having to deal with the fucking tiny ass melee engagement ranges is a big bonus too. Plus it sorta makes up for tactical camera shortcomings, I can pick out ranged threats and deal with them while the melee is busy up front.  

107. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age: Inquisition Nov 20, 2014, 12:14 Verno

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 09:44:
Verno wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 09:41:
Oh and the minimap is totally pointless and might as well not exist in its current implementation. Thanks for pointing out my goal but not telling me that the 5 minute trek up the mountain I took was blocked by a boulder.
LOL!

Seriously I'm not kidding, it is almost blank with a large asterisk on it for your current quest and some indicators for mobs you've pinged. Very very lazy.

Thanks Nega, glad to hear Bioware at least is going to do something.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2014, 11:01 Verno

I didn't really take to Veep but I might have to check it out again for Hugh Laurie's performance.  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy
11. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 10:12 Verno

Theo wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 09:34:
Ironically this the least appropriate way to go about it, people who backed early should be treated with more respect as it was a early promise.

Indeed. Oh well, I hope people learned a lesson here about Kickstarter projects in general. Likewise I hope Braben learned something about setting expectations and that such things might affect future performance in areas like Kickstarter.

103. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age: Inquisition Nov 20, 2014, 09:41 Verno

Oh and the minimap is totally pointless and might as well not exist in its current implementation. Thanks for pointing out my goal but not telling me that the 5 minute trek up the mountain I took was blocked by a boulder.  

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
314. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 20, 2014, 09:13 Verno

They could only get away with it once, hope they make it count.  

102. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age: Inquisition Nov 20, 2014, 08:34 Verno

Ok I spent more time last night tinkering with my setup and I kinda have it to a point where I'm not really happy about it but at least it isn't pissing me off either:

- Rebound A & D to strafe left right in both movement and tactical modes
- Bound control (pause) to mouse 4 using my mouse software, game doesnt support binding these buttons in 2014 (lol?)
- Swapped mouse buttons option (left to select, right to attack) thanks Creston this helped a lot. Unfortunately you also have to use left for camera control at that point so the RMB is useless
- Ditched my melee character and made a ranged rogue instead, way less aggravating due to the interface
- Pulled the camera as far out as it can go in tactical, this helps but ultimately still feels like you're right on top of everything by comparison to DA:O
- Bound autorun to mouse 5 so I don't have to hold W the entire time

Suggestions for improvements to Bioware

- Auto attack toggle
- Characters should close distance automatically within reason instead of whiffing
- Let users unbind the mouse button attack shit, I can't count the number times last night I went to adjust the camera and instead attacked a fucking door or something
- Click to move towards things
- Hire just one person to do a PC specific UI in the future. Seriously please. The inventory screens and etc are ridiculous.

I had a pretty good time last night despite still having some annoyances with the consolized and poorly thought out UI. Game itself is fantastic so far, its a shame that a lot of people are waiting out a patch due to the UI shit. Bioware really did good this time in everything else.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Piracy Perspective
80. Re: Far Cry 4 Piracy Perspective Nov 20, 2014, 08:26 Verno

If there is intent by publishers to condemn PC gamers then they need look no further than this thread for ammo.  

99. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age: Inquisition Nov 19, 2014, 15:11 Verno

The weird AI for companions and lack of tactics wouldn't be such a big deal if controlling your companions wasn't so annoying due to the interface problems. The PC control problems are not as simple as adjusting to differences IMO, there are a bunch of small things that keep adding up. I feel like this is a good game awaiting a patch to make it a great game, its a shame its being dragged down by easily foreseeable problems. I really have no idea how some of these made it through play testing.

I think I will give it a whirl with a gamepad later for kicks and see if its any easier because KB/M use is just frustrating for me right now. Too many missing quality of life things and weird design issues.

87. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age: Inquisition Nov 19, 2014, 13:03 Verno

Creston wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 12:54:
I'm pretty sure there's an option to "swap mouse buttons" in the options. I think that'd probably help with that issue?

Thanks I'll look for it later. This game is so frustrating because the game part of it seems genuinely good but the controls fucking suck. I hope I can come up with a happy medium or maybe I'll go play FC4 and see if they patch this.

83. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age: Inquisition Nov 19, 2014, 12:23 Verno

I haven't found a way to rebind the mouse controls yet sadly, they seem hard coded. Fucking frustrating as hell, who at Bioware decided that left click should just do basic attack always? Right click to select something is so fucking foreign and annoying. I can't think of a single other UI in any application or game where that is the case. Changing dumb shit for no reason just pisses people off.

It seems like a small thing but it does actively interfere with your shit in combat on a regular basis and just makes everything cumbersome.

@Creston, the search pulse yeah you can upgrade it and its bigger than its visual indicator but its still a poor mechanic that doesn't make a lot of sense and is just tedious to be honest.

77. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age: Inquisition Nov 19, 2014, 10:44 Verno

Played this for a bit last night, first impressions:

- bad story hook at beginning, too vague and sudden. I hear it redeems itself later on
- Tactical UI and general combat is very clunky at first. Don't be afraid to rebind the shit out of things because default controls are shit. Controls were clearly intended for consoles
- Tactical cam doesn't pull out far enough to be useful in many fights
- lack of any action queuing in tactical is annoying
- Lack of auto-attack toggle is a real problem
- Character doesn't close gap towards opponents to attack automatically. 2 inches too far away? He will stand there whiffing.
- No click to move for objects/loot etc.
- Can't rebind keys to mouse 4/5, will try to overcome this later
- Running around spamming V to search for objects gets old really fast considering the volume of shit in the world. Should just have perception stat like Wasteland 2 or something.

That's the bad, now for the good.

- Skill trees look full of solid & interesting choices
- Combat is quite challenging on Hard and above
- The world is massive and beautiful
- You can jump
- Lots of quests and stuff to do, some busywork but some good ones too
- Much better characterization and dialogue (so far at least)
- PC version so far very stable and performs great for me

So yeah all in all I'm pretty happy with it despite some minor annoyances and UI clunkiness. I hear it just gets better as it progresses too. I think once I'm used to the weird changes in camera/etc (that user who said it was the same as Origins flat out lied) I will be pretty happy with it. Having left click not select things in combat is just fucking weird though.

Oh and my SSD write stats were totally fine, I forgot to screenshot it last night but will try to remember tonight. This is one game you want an SSD for, the load times can be quite lengthy on a hard disk.

16164 Comments. 809 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo