Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 17526 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 3, 2015, 11:29 Verno

I have an RSI in my right hand (har har) and it started out with stiffness and slight soreness. I eventually had to adjust a lot of things to get it to go away. More frequent breaks, a different chair and at work I use a trackball mouse. I also lift weights 3 days a week to strengthen other muscles in my arm since some were getting overworked. I saw a physiotherapist who also does a lot of occupational therapy and it was a big help, I would highly recommend doing so or at least seeing your family doctor.

He basically said that the early stages of soreness are exhaustion and a warning sign that can precede nerve damage. For you that's probably the ulnar nerve if you feel it most when flexing at the knuckle. The trouble with RSI stuff is that it happens over such a long period of time and while a lot of is preventable, if you're not careful you can progress it to a chronic stage.

I also have a sitting/standing desk that I built which helps vary up your posture which in turn does make a difference with your arms. The biggest thing though is rest periods. Anyways good luck with it, let us know how it goes.

Playing: Dark Souls 2: Scholars of the First Sin
Watching: Mr. Robot
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 3, 2015, 10:53 Verno

Electromagnetic hypersensitivity syndrome, I thought this nonsense was debunked in like 2004 when was a number of studies on it after some media exposure. I hope the lawsuit gets tossed, its been thoroughly debunked and there is no science behind it.

You're being sarcastic but sadly there are a number of climate deniers on here

News Comments > No Star Wars Battlefront Server Browser
75. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Server Browser Sep 3, 2015, 10:35 Verno

Nah I've pretty much said what I have to say already, if you're bored I suggest http://agar.io/  

73. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Server Browser Sep 3, 2015, 10:28 Verno

Bundy wrote on Sep 3, 2015, 09:37:
I was trying to explain why they likely removed it. Man this board can be the worst sometimes. Go against the tide and everyone calls you names.

People call you names no matter what here, its the result of very little moderation. In this case though it feels like you're trying to browbeat your explanation into people. It's not like people don't understand that console development leads feature build out but that isn't going to make them feel any better about their platform of choice being treated poorly. Many console games might not feature server browsers but that doesn't mean they are some dubious unprofitable venture as several users posted examples of already, some even on the consoles. Ultimately the developer can do whatever it wants but that doesn't mean people are going to be happy about it and a patronizing explanation isn't going to make them feel any better.

In this case it feels especially unjustified as they already have the tech built and use it in another game that accommodates both server browsing and matchmaking very well. What was the point of building out Battlelog and Origin if they aren't going to use them? Just another case of EA being incredibly schizophrenic and people are right to call it out.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 3, 2015, 09:08 Verno

ViRGE wrote on Sep 3, 2015, 04:20:
I'd join, but I know next to nothing about football. Now if the contest was predicting Metacritic rankings I might have a shot...

One of the guys last year never even watched football and he was first place for like 8 weeks

News Comments > Torchlight Burns Out Runic
52. Re: Torchlight Burns Out Runic Sep 3, 2015, 09:01 Verno

I can see where Runic is coming from, they were about at their limit in terms of what they could accomplish without growing into a significantly larger studio. It's also gotta be boring working on the same thing for years at a time, I know I would get burned out at the office if we didn't have some project variety. Plus as Marsh said Diablo 3 is finally hitting its stride, took too long to get there but whatever its there now.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 2, 2015, 15:59 Verno

JD yeah exactly it's basically advertisements for their own original content and they only play on Netflix owned content. So if you don't watch Netflix owned properties you probably won't see them. It's a random user tested thing, its not rolled out to everyone. There also seems to be some weirdness with them showing on some devices and not others. You can read more about the ads here. The only one I ever saw had a 20 second trailer for Bloodline. Not a big deal but I don't like ads period.  

41. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Server Browser Sep 2, 2015, 15:22 Verno

Task wrote on Sep 2, 2015, 15:04:
However, it means finding a game with your buddies in a queue lobby can take longer as the matcher has to find the perfect amount of players that are trying to play the same thing and if vs. to match via skill. I've used an early COD (much later after its initial release) on console before and remember having to wait and WAIT for people to join the lobby list.

So if you pick an unpopular mode or map for Battlefront with your friend, because you both like it while others don't, theoretically you might end up with a bit of a wait. Probably not at launch, but in 1 or 2 years? Guaranteed people will gravitate to a few 'favorite' maps (likely representing most balanced, or whatever) and a couple modes at most.

If this were the old days, one would just leave their server up and people would drop-in/drop-out when they pleased. Or custom tailored with modified server settings, plugins, or mods. All of those things are being phased out in favor of unmodifiable games, at least in DICE's case.

Then you also get into lack of proper admin controls, cheaters running rampant, etc. I don't think its a coincidence that since matchmaking took over on CoD that its been declining on the PC and other FPS games with server browsers have taken its place. The loss of control is annoying and the community aspects of dedicated servers are important IMO.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 2, 2015, 14:09 Verno

Jivaro wrote on Sep 2, 2015, 12:35:
This is a step in the right direction. The "free" games have been less and less interesting to me and I don't use multiplayer services very often so I have been considering letting my Plus membership lapse in a year or so when it expires finally. More cloud storage is exactly the kind of thing I can use. If they add a few more "quality of life" type things I can actually point at and say "I use that"...I might keep the service.

I don't know, I think the free games have finally started getting more interesting now we're outside of the launch period. Rocket League alone was $50 worth of fun this year. Infamous First Light was awesome and there were some pretty cool indie titles too. I think we'll see some more AAA games soon now that the consoles have started to rebuild libraries.

28. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Server Browser Sep 2, 2015, 13:13 Verno

Kevin Lowe wrote on Sep 2, 2015, 12:38:
Verno wrote on Sep 2, 2015, 10:10:
Using a server browser on the consoles is fine and a lot of them like dedicated servers now that they can see the advantages. Its an arguing point for PS4/Xbox people on forums. They just didn't know better before hand.
Dedicated servers and server browsers are not inextricably tied together. Personally, I prefer skills-based matchmaking onto ad hoc dedicated servers, and the massive amount of cloud computing out there makes this model cheap and easy to support. Rather than have a few people or groups shell out the money for a single dedicated server to support a single game (at a time), just spin up virtual machines as needed, then drop them when the session has finished.

I'm aware, we did this debate in a BF thread awhile ago. I would rather have that control myself as opposed to trusting an algorithm that can't possible encapsulate all of my preferences. That's more important to me than being matched with exactly skilled players or something. The server controls and community aspects of the game are intangibles which are very important to many players who are accustomed to them in PC games.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 2, 2015, 12:00 Verno

I don't blame them, the content companies keep drastically increasing the license prices year over year. In 2009 Netflix paid 50 mil for their entire streaming catalog, in 2013 it was 2 billion and still going up.

I never have a problem with lack of content on Netflix and I find the quality to be very high despite some notable exclusions.

Edit: wow 3bn in 2014 according to google. Ouch.

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2015, 12:05.

21. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Server Browser Sep 2, 2015, 11:58 Verno

Creston wrote on Sep 2, 2015, 11:53:
It'll be fine! I have absolute confidence in Dice's ability to make a perfect functional semi-marginal auto-matchmaker! Rolleyes

Enjoy those 800ms ping matches against people with ten times better equipment than you do.

Also enjoy not being able to kick/ban cheaters effectively. Not easily group with your friends and play the maps/servers you like based on preferences. Their answer to this in the comment thread was pretty lol "we accommodate all major platform party systems" so uh what party system would be that on the PC exactly?

It's always 2 small steps forward, 1 big step back with these guys They finally just convinced everyone to use Battlelog but now lets just not use it for <reasons>.

7. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Server Browser Sep 2, 2015, 10:10 Verno

Using a server browser on the consoles is fine and a lot of them like dedicated servers now that they can see the advantages. Its an arguing point for PS4/Xbox people on forums. They just didn't know better before hand.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Game Reviews Sep 2, 2015, 09:59 Verno

You mean you haven't written 50 reviews before breakfast? BLUE  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 2, 2015, 09:44 Verno

You're missing out on a ton of security updates there, as usual hes kind of an ass about it but he's not wrong. Like literally hundreds of security vectors, you should really update those. It's better to pick and choose the updates rather than turn them off entirely. Yes exploits can install themselves sometimes, just even a simple driveby download can deliver a rootkit payload.

Not to be a dick but it kind of invalidates your opinion on anything Windows to me when you have those kinds of poor practices and think its defensible. I get the whole privacy angle but this is security and you're compromising your own privacy much more significantly by having your system that wide open to the world.

1. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Server Browser Sep 2, 2015, 09:33 Verno

I like to pick the servers I play on, not have them chosen for me so this is a definite deal breaker. Very frustrating. Not even having battlelog, I mean come on, what was the point of building out the infrastructure for that and Origin if you aren't going to use it. Such a silly decision.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2015, 10:39 Verno

RIP Wes, made some great movies

The Hills Have Eyes & Serpent and The Rainbow were excellent. I don't think he had done anything in awhile since getting sick unfortunately, Scream 4 was the last thing I remember.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
4. Re: Sunday Consolidation Aug 31, 2015, 09:54 Verno

The SATA bus is not a significant bottleneck in the PS4 and won't net you higher FPS, the gimped Jaguar cores and its GPU are far more important factors. Neither of those is getting an upgrade.  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
8. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 31, 2015, 08:49 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Aug 30, 2015, 15:47:
Netflix: $8/month
Apple TV: $40/month
Apple Tax: $32/month.

Apple has the power to negotiate some pretty interesting content packages but I agree its too much.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Core Game Free; Raids Coming
18. Re: Guild Wars 2 Core Game Free; Raids Coming Aug 31, 2015, 08:47 Verno

I had nothing but positive experiences with the community in GW2.  

17526 Comments. 877 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo