Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 17360 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Rocket League Sells 5M; DLC Next Month; Patch Plans
3. Re: Rocket League Sells 5M; DLC Next Month; Patch Plans Jul 30, 2015, 13:12 Verno

It's a fantastic game, perfect mix of old arcade action with gameplay that is easy to pick up but difficult to master. Its one of those games you have a blast playing regardless of whether you're winning or losing. Highly recommended.  
Playing: The Witcher 3
Watching: True Detective
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2015, 10:51 Verno

The EMDrive stuff is very interesting, it freaks me out to hear some of the smartest minds in the field admit it can work but that they can't explain how.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 30, 2015, 10:43 Verno

I haven't dumped the traffic myself yet but I will probably do that later today. I suspect its much ado about nothing, peoples phones and search engine use gather way more information on them every day. That being said I see the potential for abuse there and think it should be closely watched.

One thing that didn't get a lot of press play is their P2P Windows Update mechanism. Fine in theory, I download the update on one machine and don't need to repeat the whole download on others, its just grabbed across the LAN. I see a huge potential for malware there though, checksums or no.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 30, 2015, 10:22 Verno

They still do hardware hashes for activation which makes it a pain if you're clean installing on new hardware. The phone support thing is fast and has good results but its annoying having to do it in the first place.

I had no problems clean installing on my machines at home which were upgrade path, no mess or problems.

I keep hearing about the potential privacy problems of Windows 10 but you can disable the vast majority of it at install time, the post install setup literally asks you for your preferences on it. I went one step further and blocked the telemetry servers on my router just because I'm paranoid though

I will wireshark it sometime to see what they're sending out of curiosity.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Jul 30, 2015, 09:52 Verno

I tried it at a friends place, input lag was insane and quality wasn't good. It doesn't compare favorably to Steam In Home streaming.

Steam Link is a much cheaper solution to that whole concept anyway. If they want to stream the other way (PC to console) then they need to do proper KB/M support and while they give it lip service, I doubt they will bother.

News Comments > GOG.com & Windows 10
28. Re: GOG.com & Windows 10 Jul 30, 2015, 08:48 Verno

Mountain out of a molehill ITT.  

47. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2015, 15:26 Verno

Kxmode wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 14:12:
How is this worse than what retail stores do with your purchases? Every time you swipe your card at Target or Starbucks that information is collected, stored, and aggregated with other personal information to create profiles to identify who you are, what you do, where you go, how you spend your money, etc. etc. Windows 10 is just a small piece of a much larger privacy issue. There are companies out there who then take all this data and sell it to politicians or business to help them figure how to market to you.

People can easily opt out or block all of that stuff anyway if it really bugs them, not really a big deal. The few things on the list I saw you can turn off during the Windows post-install setup even.

News Comments > Diablo III Kanaiís Cube Previewed
27. Re: Diablo III Kanaiís Cube Previewed Jul 29, 2015, 13:50 Verno

Yeah the PS4 version is the way to go IMO. It has a few really cool features that are exclusive to it and the gameplay is much more visceral and enjoyable with a gamepad. The only real downside is targeting and escapes can sometimes be a pain but whatever. It's funny, I got bored and gave up on the PC version awhile ago but the console version is a mainstay in our house.  

News Comments > GOG.com & Windows 10
7. Re: GOG.com & Windows 10 Jul 29, 2015, 12:55 Verno

I've been running Windows 10 for awhile, play a fair amount of old games and have no issues to report in terms of compatibility. I've encountered a few crashes but that's to be expected, I was running dev previews for months which come with no stability guarantees. Since build 10240 its been pretty good outside of some Witcher 3 crashes that are probably just Witcher 3 being a bit buggy.

GOG is small and does stuff like this for free press, no skin off my back.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2015, 12:19 Verno

Bradley wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 11:23:
The whole "flat" Windows 10 theme is really bugging me. When you have multiple windows open and overlapping it can be really hard to tell where one window starts and the others begin. That makes resizing or dragging windows by the title bar tricky. I wish there was some way to add more separation between them.

Agreed, this is a bit annoying to me as well. Also programs jumplist pins aren't updating properly either, sometimes they are there and other times they are just inexplicably gone. They shrunk the taskbar icons from 52 to 32px which is really dumb, leaves an empty border space around them and you almost have to squint at them on a large monitor. DPI scaling is one way to solve it but it enlarges too many other elements.

News Comments > BATTLETECH Announced
7. Re: BATTLETECH Announced Jul 29, 2015, 11:26 Verno

Harebrained kickstarters have all turned out well, I have no problem supporting this one when it arrives.  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2015, 11:23 Verno

Kxmode wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 10:58:
Solitaire in Windows 10 is now freemium $1.49 per month.

I wonder if this is why Win10 is free. You pay small fees to "unlock" functionality. "Oh, you want to configure your network? Only $5.99." "I see you would like to use Notepad. On sale today for 99 cents!"

It was that way in Windows 8 too I believe, I remember seeing something about removing ads from it. It's really lame. Of all the ways to make their bones you would think they wouldn't care about the piddly shit like that. That said, the ads only showed between games last time I checked and are easily blocked.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 29, 2015, 10:53 Verno

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 10:13:
I don't care that they aren't terribly interested in bringing xbone games to win10. You'd all just complain that they're "consolized" anyway, and proceed not to purchase them.

Who is you all? I'd be pretty happy just getting the Forza games. Yeah, that's what Microsoft can do to prove they are committed, bring unique games to the platform. Show that they are invested, like they do with the Xbox. Not Age of Empires Online, the games people give a shit about

News Comments > Dying Light Expansion Announced
1. Re: Dying Light Expansion Announced Jul 29, 2015, 10:37 Verno

The Dead Island games were always kinda hit and miss with me but for some reason this game clicked nicely. Definitely going to pick this up.  

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2015, 10:29 Verno

Loving Witcher 3 but man sometimes when it crashes it really crashes. I've had it bomb the whole system on 3 different hardware/OS combinations. It's not consistent, sometimes it just CTDs and other times its a hard lock. It's funny because I had no crashes at all before 1.07 but its a huge patch so I guess there was bound to be a few issues.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2015, 10:27 Verno

For anyone upgrading, your old license key from Windows 7/8 is converted into a Windows 10 license. This means the old key is invalidated after that, just something to keep in mind. Also since someone was asking in the previous thread, you can clean install even using the upgrade. Go to the settings and select what to keep->nothing. It also has advanced options so you can preserve whats on other drives but nuke the system drive if you're worried about it.  

News Comments > Diablo III Kanaiís Cube Previewed
25. Re: Diablo III Kanaiís Cube Previewed Jul 29, 2015, 09:39 Verno

The console version of Diablo 3 is much more fun, both in terms of features and the controls being more amenable to frequent input with my ancient arms. Never thought I would say that but uh there it is haha.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2015, 09:04 Verno

There is no compelling reason to upgrade unless you like to learn about things first hand. If you're installing onto a fresh machine I wouldn't bother with older versions though. It's just another version of Windows, most of the changes are minor from a user perspective and there aren't any huge performance gains or etc. Likewise there's nothing really wrong with it, some minor launch issues and bugs but nothing like Vista. I think my biggest beef is the Windows Update/Driver implementation which they've already said they will revisit.

Anyways I don't mind it but its nothing to get excited about. It's Windows.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 29, 2015, 08:57 Verno

"It lets you be more social"

Uhh right, thanks Larry.

News Comments > PC Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Next Month; Specs
8. Re: PC Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Next Month; Specs Jul 28, 2015, 15:09 Verno

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 13:00:
Square Enix is a has been studio. They are still in the twentieth century when it comes to game design.

All of your opinions are bad and wrong.

17360 Comments. 868 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo