Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anonymous User

Real Name Anonymous User   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DrEvil
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 31, 2000, 05:27
Total Comments 489 (Amateur)
User ID 5120

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption Challenges
5. Re: Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption Challenges Jan 25, 2013, 13:37 DrEvil

Dev wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 13:20:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 13:16:
Yeah, I hope they are able to fulfill their obligations. I only ever subscribe to the digital DL level, I don't need physical stuff. I want the team to focus on making a great game and getting it to me.
Same, and I backed this too. I feel sorry about the stuff not working out, but I also fault them for not planning a bit better, and at the very least having some reserve budgeted for.

Unfortunately, I think we'll see more of this as developers that published games independently decades ago, then through publishers, and are now trying to do it independently again.

The market has changed drastically, and the cost of doing business has dramatically increased.

Corey and Lori Cole in particular are long-time industry veterans, so it doesn't surprise me that they may have underestimated the cost of doing these things. It was also somewhat telling that they fully expected to overfund their project significantly given the environment at the time (a costly mistake).

They were first developing games when the most reliable way to draw graphics was to draw them on graph paper first "pixelated" and then enter the corresponding hex codes for the colors into arrays written to files or compiled into a program.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Cave This Month
1. Re: The Cave This Month Jan 15, 2013, 14:49 DrEvil

Not just the Windows edition; the Mac and Linux versions will also be available on Steam on the same day!

News Comments > Humble THQ Bundle
20. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Nov 30, 2012, 01:27 DrEvil

Creston wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 01:12:
Man, that has to be the craziest value bundle of all time.

If I didn't already have everything except Darksiders, I'd pick this up. In fact, I may just pick it all up again and give everything away. (Edit, since they give Steam keys, would that even be possible if I already had almost everything? Steam doesn't give you double copies, does it?)

Creston

No can do. They only give you one key for all the games.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Delayed
2. Re: Oculus Rift Delayed Nov 29, 2012, 01:17 DrEvil

Creston wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 00:39:
Better get it right. As long as you let your backers know, few, if any, will complain about the delay.

Creston

Really, backers don't have much to complain about here. They're getting a better product. The screens are larger, the response time is much lower, and the input refresh rate is also 6x+ higher.

With that said, the real story will be the consumer version.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 01:16 DrEvil

Pete wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 00:24:
Oh wow, that intro cinematic is cringe worthy.

For those wanting to see the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoSqDtky0pU

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 28, 2012, 15:36 DrEvil

Cutter wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 15:35:
Because in these cases these people have gone so far as to hire lawyers to send notices to Google about the problem and nothing gets done. Imagine everytime someone google your name - potential employer maybe - and it came up with a bunch of links about you being a gangster or child rapist or the like. What if these links are in countries where you have no legal recourse or the cost of getting them removed is too high? No, Google has a responsibility here. Everyone is accountable, there is no 'I was just following orders' bullshit.

I understand the sentiment, but this is an impossible task. The only way to deal with this is to after the source of the libel -- not Google.

Google is providing a generic search engine, if people post garbage, and search for something related, the garbage will come out.

All someone has to do after their link is excluded from Google's search index is rename it and poof, they're back again.

So what's the point of making Google exclude specific URLs (out of billions) from their search results? None.

Google is not at fault here; it's impractical to expect them to police the stupidity of others or waste their time trying to censor the world.

News Comments > Game Reviews
11. Re: Game Reviews Nov 15, 2012, 13:58 DrEvil

Axis wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 12:44:
Metacritic is 100% correct, no blame to be had for enforcing their well known policy. Its up to the publishers to do their job.

And with the state of many piss-poor idiotic nub reviewers, this is the smart thing to do on MC's part.

I'm sorry, but no. It's a common, expected practice to accept retractions for articles. What should have happened is that GameSpot would be excluded from the score entirely for that game. That solves the problem of reviewers being pressured to revise scores and is more fair to the involved third party.

As it is, I was already questioning which critics metacritic was choosing to include in scores. Some of the sites they're using have little to no integrity.

And As someone else pointed out, Metacritic was already caught applying double standards in this area when they chose to ignore a review from destructoid on a game because destructoid gave it a 10/10.

They can't have it both ways.

I personally don't own or plan to buy NS2 and have never played it, but after this fiasco, I will no longer rely at all on metacritic score. I've lost all confidence in them.

News Comments > Spud's Quest Kickstarter
5. Re: Spud's Quest Kickstarter Nov 2, 2012, 21:04 DrEvil

I'll admit it's a mildly cute retro game, but something strikes me as odd about the project and I just can't name what it is. It's almost like I've seen this game before.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
69. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2012, 16:30 DrEvil

Stay safe Blue (and your family)! That's all that matters to us.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 7, 2012, 02:26 DrEvil

Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 18:20:
Gojo wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 15:30:
deqer wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 14:01:

I wonder if people knew about iPhones when buying galaxy phones.

I think people knew of iphones, but avoided them. ...
Just a theory.

Pretty much a fact. Consumers savvy enough to choose the Galaxy S III almost certainly know all about the iPhone (who doesn't?) I would wager the opposite is true however, that not all iPhone consumers know much about Android phones. Of course that's just my jaded opinion.

I agree and personally think that the S3 is an excellent device. I'm pretty sure that with a modded ROM it is the best phone available.

If it's screen didn't have that awful Pentile blue tinge, I might agree with you. The HTC One X has the better screen; so does an iPhone 4S+.

News Comments > Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter
38. Re: Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter Oct 4, 2012, 01:28 DrEvil

Bob wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 16:42:
nin wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 10:13:
What ever happened to the Coles KS? Did I miss it?

From the guys from andromeda website: "The Coles are planning to start the School for Heroes Kickstarter project at the end of October, with an expected fundraising goal of $300-400k."

Holy crap! I'm in. Sold. I'd back the Coles over Romero any day!

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Mentioned
34. Re: Borderlands 3 Mentioned Oct 1, 2012, 15:43 DrEvil

Verno wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 10:19:
My ideas for improvement:

- 87,000 unique and interesting guns instead of 87 bazillion combinations of the same 30 guns.

- Loot drops on the ground instead of flying out everywhere, including under the ground textures.

- Instanced loot OR tweaked drop rates. There is not enough good loot in MP games to go around if you have some bad luck. After Diablo 3 this should not be a thing anymore.

- 4 brand new classes instead of 3 remixes and 1 new one (maybe 2 when Mecromancer comes out)

- Divorce from the old storyline/characters completely, fresh start. I like BL2 but it really feels like BL 1.5 in many ways.

- Multiple class abilities, one per tree at least with sub abilities therein. Some argue this is already in the game but I don't buy it.

How about "no infinite respawn" so I can actually feel like my actions are somewhat meaningful? Or at the least option for it, geez.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Sep 30, 2012, 19:59 DrEvil

ASeven wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 14:43:
Molyneux: Curiosity prize is not money or Half-Life 3. But will "change your life forever." I'm guessing amputationů

How about some surprise castration instead?

Perhaps the Spanish Inquisition? Nobody expects that...

News Comments > Diablo III 1.0.5 Notes; PTR Coming
16. Re: Diablo III 1.0.5 Notes; PTR Coming Sep 21, 2012, 14:15 DrEvil

Verno wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 11:08:
nin wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 10:28:
I honestly can't think of anything that would make me want to play D3 again, especially now that Torchlight 2 has launched.

Pretty much, big meh. TL2 is everything that Diablo 3 failed to be. The story is totally forgettable but I'd rather have a forgettable story than the linear dreck that we were force fed in Diablo 3.

Of course D3's portrayal of one its main characters and a pivotal event involving them was the lamest thing I've seen. (Spoilers follow:)

Seriously, was anyone else as hacked off as I was at how pathetic the way Deckard Cain dies is? A main character only gets a pathetic in-game cutscene death from what I've seen on youtube and heard from others. They effectively ended the Diablo franchise when they killed Cain -- and in such a pathetic way.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light
10. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 14, 2012, 21:57 DrEvil

dj LiTh wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 21:20:
ASeven wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 20:55:
Julio wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 20:54:
FTL is also on GOG. I'd rather support GOG (drm free) than Steamware.

Then you should buy directly from the devs which gives the DRM-free file plus a Steam key and all the money goes to the devs.

I dont see how all the money could goto the devs since they also provide a steam key. Although i did buy mine from the devs for the added options.

My understanding is that Valve allows devs to generate and hand out free steam keys for their games without charging them for it. But since Steam's terms are confidential, I have no way to verify that.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Tryst
2. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Tryst Sep 14, 2012, 21:53 DrEvil

Help, I'm trapped in a Starcraft/Warcraft RTS clone and I can't get out!  

News Comments > Planetary Annihilation Funded
3. Re: Planetary Annihilation Funded Sep 14, 2012, 21:52 DrEvil

I pledged originally, but then cancelled. There's no single-player campaign planned -- just AI skirmish.

If they ship with one eventually, then I'll buy it.

News Comments > 38 Studios Assets & IP To Be Sold
4. Re: 38 Studios Assets & IP To Be Sold Aug 23, 2012, 21:25 DrEvil

PHJF wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 21:13:
Nobody is going to give one cent for this worthless IP, by the way.

Actually, the IP behind the world itself is worth something. R.A. Salvatore and others spent a great deal of time creating an entire world and characters just for the game. The game itself barely scratched the surface of what was written and created for it.

It's really sort of heartbreaking to see this happen; I only hope Salvatore can either get the rights to his characters back or a publisher that's friendly to him picks them up so he can continue to write for it.

News Comments > Free WOOT DLC for Magicka Released
4. Re: Free WOOT DLC for Magicka Released Aug 9, 2012, 16:04 DrEvil

JohnBirshire wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 15:57:
Is this worth playing? The reviews I saw were in the "D" and "F" range, however it seems to have a cult following.

It's actually fairly fun, but only as a co-op game IMO, which it excels at. I was bored to tears when I play alone.

Wait until the next mega-steam sale on it and then pick it up. It doesn't cost much, but there is quite a lot of DLC available for it.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
19. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 7, 2012, 14:22 DrEvil

Matshock wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 14:09:
Obama had two years to grant blanket amnesty and he didn't. He could have sorted the whole thing in your favor in fifteen minutes and he didn't. And you're still waiting at his feet for him to grant you freedom.

First of all, I'm not waiting for amnesty. I was born here, and my ancestors were both native american indians and caucasian immigrants. Second, amnesty would be beyond the president's executive powers since immediately after granting amnesty, it would be invalid again until congress changes immigration law.

His position in fact is that your immigrant family members are still likely illegal- he can come for you whenever he wants to but he is graciously choosing not to, for now.

Thanks for making ASSumptions.

We racist Americans only want two things regarding Mexico: get control of the boarder and make immigrants suffer all the same taxes and regulations that we do while they are here. Mass exportation is a bogey man story told by Democrats to keep you in line.

If you think immigrants don't suffer, you're dead wrong. To keep the government from finding out, the vast majority of businesses still withhold taxes from the paychecks of "undocumented" immigrants and treat them exactly as they would a normal employee in terms of taxes.

So it's even worse than you'd like to believe; the current situation makes immigrants permanent second-class citizens. They grow up here, live here, pay taxes here, but don't get citizenship and so don't have the right to vote to determine how their taxes are spent. They can't legally get driver's licenses in most states, and they can't get many forms of insurance we take for granted.

Even more tellingly, I bet you're not aware that a large portion of those undocumented immigrants actually file their federal taxes at the end of the year using a federal tax ID that was assigned to them at one point in the past. That's right; they have no valid social security card, but still end up paying and filing federal and state taxes.

489 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo