Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anonymous User

Real Name Anonymous User   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DrEvil
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 31, 2000, 05:27
Total Comments 490 (Amateur)
User ID 5120

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Stardock's Star Control Reboot Plans
10. Re: Stardock's Star Control Reboot Plans Jul 23, 2013, 22:57 DrEvil

They need to partner with Toys for Bob on this or not bother at all.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Jul 10, 2013, 21:38 DrEvil

Anodyne was a great little old-school action-style RPG. I highly recommend it for those of you who don't mind the slightly retro aesthetic.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Rogue Legacy
13. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Rogue Legacy Jun 28, 2013, 01:45 DrEvil

ItBurn wrote on Jun 27, 2013, 22:55:
To me a rogue-like game has randomized levels and a "you die once and it's over" deal. That's it.

That about sums it up; the game's brutally difficult early on.

The "twist" is that after you die, your "child" hero gains from whatever experience / gold collected and you do it all over again.

The levels are completely randomly generated by default.

It's actually quite a bit of fun and the music tracks are great.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
10. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 01:40 DrEvil

NeOCidE wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 00:25:
Cutter wrote on Jun 27, 2013, 22:02:
Holy shit Sony thinks they'll get 10 years out of the PS4? They're stoned. Imagine playing games on a 10 year old PC right now? Yeah, right.

Which is kind of worrying. Are we likely to see big steps in PC technology over the coming years? Lets be brutally honest, going off recent times it could simply be that game devs develop for consoles and port over to PC.

Sure you can spend £1,000s on new shiny hardware...but what's the point if game devs aren't going to utilise it?

Don't fool yourself; the new consoles essentially are PCs.

The only "porting" at this point will really be the controls.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 28, 2013, 01:38 DrEvil

Cutter wrote on Jun 27, 2013, 20:59:
What are they talking about I've seen plenty of Canadian projects on KS.

The difference, I believe, is around account requirements. I believe in the past that while a Canadian developer could start a kickstarter project, they had to have a US bank account or the like.

News Comments > Cube World Trailer
3. Re: Cube World Trailer May 12, 2013, 15:59 DrEvil

Fantaz wrote on May 12, 2013, 14:55:
Why does everyone love Minecraft so much? Headscratch

I don't "love" Minecraft. But I think the key difference is that Minecraft makes you a creator instead of a consumer. As the player, you can actually shape the world around you and create your own narrative.

Cube World takes that a huge step farther in an evolutionary way.

If you don't like Minecraft, that's great. But the thing that should be encouraged here is more games that turn players into creators instead of consumers.

This comment was edited on May 12, 2013, 20:27.

News Comments > etc., etc.
7. Re: etc., etc. May 11, 2013, 01:27 DrEvil

Fantaz wrote on May 10, 2013, 19:07:
where does the money go? looking glass studios is gone...

Night Dive Studios and the Star Insurance Company. Details:

http://techland.time.com/2013/02/13/13-years-later-system-shock-2-lives-again

Which apparently only secured redistribution rights from the "Star Insurance Company" which apparently got them when Looking Glass shutdown.

Ugh.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - FEZ
19. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 23:24 DrEvil

Rhino wrote on May 1, 2013, 22:23:
Fish has made his feelings on the PC very well known. How can I, or anyone, possibly believe that he will have made a strong effort in this port, or in any post release support, if every indication is that he didn't particularly want to make it in the first place?

Because Phil Fish is the designer, not the programmer. The main programmer is Renaud Bédard, who is an excellent individual worthy of respect. His presentation on the technology behind Fez is well worth reading.

Other people worked on Fez, besides Phil Fish, and they deserve to have their work rewarded. I only hope that Renaud and the other people that worked on Fez will get a cut of the sales going forward.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 29, 2013, 12:40 DrEvil

Verno wrote on Apr 29, 2013, 10:46:
A clone of Game Dev Story, how original, those guys really have a high horse to preach from.

Does it use the same graphics and music? Is its gameplay identical or nearly so without any meaningful deviation? If so, then it's a clone, if not, it's merely an iteration.

Just as Minecraft and many other games are iterations on older ideas.

Nevermind that Game Dev story is not available for Mac or Linux while this game is.

I haven't played it myself, so I can't say whether it is a clone as you claim, but I'd like to see more justification before bringing out the pitchforks and torches.

News Comments > Fallen Enchantress - Legendary Heroes Next Month; Specs Revealed
9. Re: Fallen Enchantress - Legendary Heroes Next Month; Specs Revealed Apr 23, 2013, 13:22 DrEvil

Fibrocyte wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 09:13:
I'm happy to see positive feedback on this game - I guess I'll pick it up. Too bad it isn't available for OSX, however.

Historically, Stardock has been antagonistically pro-windows to the point that they've even badmouthed other platforms. Given that their new game releases are on Steam now though, I wonder if the "steamplay" feature will be too tempting.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Starseed Pilgrim
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Starseed Pilgrim Apr 18, 2013, 11:31 DrEvil

There's definitely a learning curve, but that's intentional. The game mechanics are all about discovery. By the time you've made it through the first few areas, you should have the basics down and it's all exploration and mastery of mechanics from there.

The game is very well done; the sound in particular is engrossing.

If you're steam-phobic, you can buy the game directly from the author's website.

News Comments > AMD Says No More DirectX?
4. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 12, 2013, 21:12 DrEvil

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 20:56:
Sony just said WTF? We finally support Direct X and there is no more? How can this be?

Since when? Every article thus far has indicated that they support something lower-level than DirectX or OpenGL and they support a variant of OpenGL. I've seen nothing to indicate that they support DirectX and would be shocked if Microsoft would allow that given their competition in the market.

News Comments > Steam and DRM-Free Shadowrun Returns in June
64. Re: Steam and DRM-Free Shadowrun Returns in June Apr 10, 2013, 17:49 DrEvil

Julio wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 17:43:
Of course that DRM free version doesn't come with the promised functionality to play user mods. But hey, a slightly crippled version is kind of close to what they promised, so good enough for some.

That's not what they said though. They said:

"it will be unable to browse and play community-created stories from within the game"

...which is not quite the same thing. That statement implies that you'll be able to use user-created mods, etc., you just won't have a nice interface for doing so within the game itself. If that's the case, that's a reasonable choice.

Steam provides a pre-built framework for doing these sorts of things and they don't want to do it themselves or write two versions of it.

If that's not the case, then shame on them, but I don't think so.

News Comments > Mage's Initiation Demo
5. Re: Mage's Initiation Demo Mar 16, 2013, 16:04 DrEvil

Cutter wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 22:11:
Don't they understand that the earlybird tiers turn a lot of people off. So I'm supposed to pay $10 or $20 more for the same game because I didn't get in immedaitely? PASS!

How else would you suggest they get support early on in a kickstarter project without involving physical goods? Support early on in a kickstarter project a crucial to reaching funding. Almost every kickstarter project for a game I've seen does this.

Instead of whining about how you missed out on the sale, it would have been nice to see a useful evaluation of their work.

News Comments > Mage's Initiation Demo
4. Re: Mage's Initiation Demo Mar 16, 2013, 16:00 DrEvil

nin wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 12:06:
I've been in at $20 for awhile, as most of the physical stuff doesn't interest me. That, and Delver's Drop and Torment have kind of broke me...

But the project looks good, and I hope it does well for them. They seem like a talented group of folks.

These folks did a lot of work with Lori and Cori cole if I'm not mistaken in the past.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 21, 2013, 21:58 DrEvil

Nucas wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 21:33:
i know i'm not the target demographic since i find the concept of a chromebook to be kind of pie-in-the-sky but a 1300 dollar chromebook with an i5 is just patently fucking ludicrous.

Oh, but it's "premium" -- with an enormous 4GB of memory and 32GB SSD drive!

News Comments > Destiny Announced for Consoles
14. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 20:14 DrEvil

Cutter wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 19:40:
1AngryGamer wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 19:33:
Well there's a no buy.

A new game on 10 year old consoles. GG Bungie

Zackly. And it's nothing more than Halo: Destiny anyway. Bungie is irrelevant.

And not only that, they're betting the whole company on this. According to a recent interview, they have over *350* in-house developers working on this. Holy burn rate Batman! On top of that, they've also said repeatedly there will be no subscription fee.

It really sounds like an "all-in" bet by both Activision and Bungie. If this doesn't work out, they're screwed (well, Bungie is anyway).

News Comments > Notch Backtracks on Psychonauts 2 Support
26. Re: Notch Backtracks on Psychonauts 2 Support Feb 5, 2013, 14:09 DrEvil

Beamer wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 14:01:
We're already over $11 million, and we haven't taken a ton into account. There's the people not actually involved in the game development such as the IT team, the executives, the administrative staff, the HR people, the CFO, etc. It's ignoring taxes that need to be paid. It's ignoring the free food in the break room. And many of these numbers are lowballing.

Exactly! I think the indie game craze has lead people to believe that you can do games on the cheap. Some games can be, but not most of them.

I also find it a bit insulting that some people suggest that they game should then be made in a cheaper place so they can pay people less. The reality is that some of the most expensive areas to live are also the best places to find developer/artist talent.

14. Re: Notch Backtracks on Psychonauts 2 Support Feb 5, 2013, 12:12 DrEvil

Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 12:04:
DrEvil wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 11:59:
Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 09:29:
18 million for Psychonauts? Cereal? Every Friday is free coke and hookers at the office or what?

Do you have any idea how much it costs to pay even 10 people a reasonable salary plus benefits, have insurance for your company, and pay for its existence (incorporation papers, etc.)? $1MM dollars isn't even enough to pay the salary, let alone everything else, especially in the California Bay Area for a year. I won't even get into the real estate costs out here.

With that said, I personally think $18MM is more than I expected. I didn't expect more than $10MM.

Yes, actually I do know because I've run several business with a dozen plus employees. Using your example that would probably be around 600k+/-. Even really pushing it with nicer offices, higher salary and better benefits, etc. let's call it a million. We're still talking about Psychonauts here. How it could go beyond 2 mil is beyond me, so yeah, I totally get where Notch is coming from on this. I'd dearly LOVE to see how DF breaks down this 18 mil.

I have no idea how you could not see it going beyond $2MM. Just the salary + benefits for 10 developers and artists in the California Bay Area for two years alone is easily more than $2MM.

And yes, it would have been interesting to see the breakdown.

Without knowing the scope of the game, estimated development time, platforms supported, etc. this is all armchair guesses anyway.

But I think you're still lowballing the estimate.

11. Re: Notch Backtracks on Psychonauts 2 Support Feb 5, 2013, 11:59 DrEvil

Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 09:29:
18 million for Psychonauts? Cereal? Every Friday is free coke and hookers at the office or what?

Do you have any idea how much it costs to pay even 10 people a reasonable salary plus benefits, have insurance for your company, and pay for its existence (incorporation papers, etc.)? $1MM dollars isn't even enough to pay the salary, let alone everything else, especially in the California Bay Area for a year. I won't even get into the real estate costs out here.

With that said, I personally think $18MM is more than I expected. I didn't expect more than $10MM.

490 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo