Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anonymous User

Real Name Anonymous User   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DrEvil
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 31, 2000, 05:27
Total Comments 485 (Amateur)
User ID 5120

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Torchlight and Torchlight Demo Released
19. Re: Torchlight and Torchlight Demo Released Oct 27, 2009, 17:43 DrEvil

Loving it. Just played twenty or thirty minutes before leaving for dinner.

I have a feeling when I get back home I may not sleep. Ever. Again

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Torchlight and Torchlight Demo Released
18. Re: Game Reviews Oct 27, 2009, 17:39 DrEvil

They are charging for an open source engine? Doesn't seem right.

Who is they? If you are referring to Runic, don't be silly.

They're charging for the content, music, man hours, effort, blood, sweat and tears that went into making this game.

And oh, BTW, the authors of Ogre3D are happy and excited that Runic is using their engine *commercially*. So just go back to your troll hole.

Finally, Ogre3D will be MIT License from v1.7. The Ogre3D folks specifically are changing the license to make it even easier for commercial and non-commercial developers to use the engine.

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2009, 17:42.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 25, 2009, 19:13 DrEvil

It's also important to note that this page may show up completely blank in FireFox (works fine in IE) for those of you as puzzled as I was...  

News Comments > Torchlight Preorders
15. Re: Torchlight Preorders Oct 21, 2009, 17:49 DrEvil

I played Mythos, and it was fun, to a point. Now they've stripped online play, dumbed it down (Mythos already wasn't the most intricate game) and put a pricetag on it. Right.

A few things:

1) they didn't alter mythos; they started from scratch (had to legally)

2) as they've mentioned before, they were a very small team and did this whole game in one year

3) i'm not sure how you know that they "dumbed it down" when you haven't even played it yet to give an accurate evaluation

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 2009, 17:50.

9. Re: Torchlight Preorders Oct 21, 2009, 00:53 DrEvil

Yes, a singleplayer-only lighthearted and simplistic Diablo clone? What's not to love!

No doubt. That is exactly why I pre-ordered it. I need a mindless single-player game with just a bit of story and lots of fun.

4. Re: Torchlight Preorders Oct 20, 2009, 22:52 DrEvil

No kidding. Borderlands doesn't even remotely interest me.

I just pre-ordered Torchlight.

News Comments > Dragon Age Pre-Purchase [Updated]
95. Re: Dragon Age Pre-Purchase Oct 17, 2009, 02:40 DrEvil

Till publishers get rid of the stupid SECUREROM and other invasive "need the DVD in the drive for each and every game you own" nonsense that doesn't stop any pirating at all, I'll stick to Steam or digital download, thanks. I own far too many games to have to be constantly swapping out DVDs every time I get the whim to play a different game.

gamecopyworld is my friend, and since I rarely if ever play multiplayer, it isn't an issue for me. Most of my games are old enough that developers have released their own update that remove the CD requirement, such as Civilization IV, etc.

I probably was a bit vague, but the reason why I want the physical, tangible product is that it usually comes with things you can't get via digital download. Things such as cloth maps, etc. I'm a sucker for art books too

94. Re: Dragon Age Pre-Purchase Oct 17, 2009, 02:38 DrEvil

The latter.  

85. Re: Dragon Age Pre-Purchase Oct 16, 2009, 18:32 DrEvil

Well, what they need to do is to say to Gamestop : "Fuck you and your blatant killing of our business. You're not getting our game."

And then stick to their horses. And then sell digital copies that actually like, GASP, have everything in it! Rather than give Gamestop, the company that's been fucking killing them (according to EA), more fucking bonusses.

It's high time for game retail to die anyways. Steam/Impulse/D2D & Gogamer/Amazon is more than capable of taking care of everyone.

If only it worked that way.

So, here's where things are bittersweet for me.

Publishers will never be out of the grasp of retailers until digital distribution becomes greater in terms of revenue.

But I hate digital only distribution. I will gladly buy budget or out-of-print game titles at bargain prices, but for games that I really *want* or know that I'll play again and again, I want a physical, tangible product.

Also, you have to remember that companies like EA are publicly traded. That means they can't take the "tough love" approach to business. If they decided to do that, their shareholders might take them to court.

Ultimately, until the industry changes as a whole, the publishers need the retailers more than the retailers need the publishers.

I keep wondering what's going to happen to retailers as publishers and game developers continue to put more and more of their revenue stream online in the form of DLC, etc.

Will retailers start refusing to cary console systems, etc. which they make almost no money on? (At least when I worked at Best Buy many years ago they made no money on the base hardware. All the money was in warranties and overpriced cables.)

84. Re: Dragon Age Pre-Purchase Oct 16, 2009, 18:26 DrEvil

Go to the site yourself, try and order Dragon Age and it will tell you store pickup is not available for that item.

Ah, sorry. Well you can always pre-order direct from the store, which is what I did last time. It seems silly that I can pre-order direct at the store, but I can't do that for store pickup online...

65. Re: Dragon Age Pre-Purchase Oct 16, 2009, 16:39 DrEvil

Since when? The last pre-order I did at Best Buy was a store pickup.  

56. Re: Dragon Age Pre-Purchase Oct 16, 2009, 15:50 DrEvil

I wouldn't mind this shit so much if the collector's edition simply had all this extra crap in it, but even the collector's editions come with different shit.

Apparently the collector's edition is not the same as the Digital Deluxe Edition...

Tell me about it. "Collector's Edition" is starting to become a real joke. I remember when "Collector's Editions" meant that you were actually collecting the full content / bonuses offered for the game.

Maybe the Bioware top honcho can tell everyone again how EA isn't going to fuck his company over. No, you're right, Greg, everyone just fucking LOVES what's happening to your games nowadays. Release a few more different versions.

Ultimately, it becomes a question of economics. As long as publishers (and game developers) must acquiesce to the demands of game retailers in return for shelf space, crap like this is only going to get worse.

As much as I hate to say it, I don't see what EA's or Bioware's options are in this regard, and believe me, I hate the "exclusives".

54. Re: Dragon Age Pre-Purchase Oct 16, 2009, 15:44 DrEvil

Amazon EA Store is the only one with a CE edition (left) surprisingly.

Fixed. Amazon sold out (of the CE) awhile back.

Actually, as others have mentioned:

BestBuy
GoGamer
EAStore

...all still have it. Great, now a game I wasn't planning on buying yet I'm tempted to buy just so I can have the physical CE. I never regret buying the CE of the original NWN. Best. CE. Ever. (Giant Box, Beautiful Artwork on it, Art Book, Cloth Map, spiral-bound manual, T-Shirt in foil-sealed package, soundtrack, etc.)

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2009, 15:46.

53. Re: Dragon Age Pre-Purchase Oct 16, 2009, 15:42 DrEvil

Um... you can mod steam games.

Not always, but you're right that the vast majority can be.

News Comments > Diablo II Patch Delay Saga Continues
11. Re: Diablo II Patch Delay Saga Continues Oct 16, 2009, 15:32 DrEvil

While we all appreciate the continual support for a game this old, i say forego this enhancement and just apply that dev effort to D3 instead.

It's not as cut and dried as that. Anyone that has read the Mythical Man Month can tell you that adding more people to a project isn't always useful.

Just like the saying "too many cooks in the kitchen"; the same applies to software development.

The only way that this would in any way detract from D3 development is if those *same* developers were also doing the D2 work, which is not necessarily true and I would doubt somewhat.

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2009, 15:33.

News Comments > Fallout 3 GotY Edition Next Month
4. Re: Fallout 3 GotY Edition Next Month Sep 17, 2009, 11:55 DrEvil

And that is why I never bought the original. Waiting for the inevitable mega pack is always the best option

Not only that, I'll wait until this one hits bargain bin!

News Comments > Tech5 Linux Hopes Raised
5. Re: Tech5 Linux Hopes Raised Sep 14, 2009, 13:57 DrEvil

John isn't that kind of guy, and TTimo knows his shit. I ain't worried either way.  

News Comments > Livingstone: Used Games "No Benefit"
76. Re: Livingstone: Used Games Aug 21, 2009, 04:09 DrEvil

@Mick:

Sorry, but there is a little thing called the 'Free Market' and 'First-Sale Doctrine'.

I don't buy games from GameStop because I hate their guts, but what they're doing is perfectly legal and legitimate.

If you want to make more money, sell addons or upgrades (DLCs as an example) directly to the consumer.

You get money from the First Sale only, and that is all you should be entitled to. Anything beyond that is an abuse of copyright *privileges* assigned to you through law and the Constitution of the respective country (indirectly).

As far as I'm concerned Game Developers should be working to fix the broken relationship they have between their publishers first, then concentrate on improving their customer relationships, and then work at expanding their market opportunities.

Attacking second-hand sales is greedy, stupid, and WRONG.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2009, 04:10.

News Comments > World of Warcraft 3.2 Info Blowout
11. Re: World of Warcraft 3.2 Info Blowout Aug 2, 2009, 02:09 DrEvil

That's how I feel about it. To be honest, I wish it was a single player game instead. I really don't want to play an MMO; I only ever played WoW because of the content.  

News Comments > More Sales
15. Re: More Sales Aug 1, 2009, 03:49 DrEvil

Which to be clear, isn't GOG.com's fault. The publisher that gave them the rights to sell the game has just recently informed them that they (as the publisher) no longer have the rights to the cars and trademarks in the game due to an expiring agreement.

Nonetheless, it does point out that people need to backup their purchases. Thank <insert deity here> GOG.com games are drm-free!

485 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo