Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anonymous User

Real Name Anonymous User   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DrEvil
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 31, 2000, 05:27
Total Comments 475 (Amateur)
User ID 5120

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > Real ID Opt Outs
10. Re: Real ID Opt Outs Oct 1, 2010, 04:04 DrEvil

elefunk wrote on Oct 1, 2010, 01:13:
Nothing about your privacy is affected in any way unless you deliberately enter your username and password into Facebook. No one can find you. You can't find anyone else.

That is the literal definition of opt-in. No one made a choice for you. A button there saying nothing but "search facebook" is not an opt-in.

No, it isn't. If it was the literal definition of opt-in, why would blizzard call it opt out? Stop trying to defend Blizzard; they're not saints, they're just a business in it for the money.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Real ID Opt Outs Oct 1, 2010, 00:29 DrEvil

elefunk wrote on Oct 1, 2010, 00:15:
Oh for fuck's sake people, really? It was already opt-in from the first place.

No, it wasn't. Which is why Blizzard's setting screen has you *uncheck* the "Enable RealID" to *opt-out*.

No one ever forced you to use the Facebook integration. No one was "opted-in" to it automatically. The only time you ever used it was when you deliberately wanted to search for friends.

That's it.

And for that, it worked brilliantly. I found 10-15 people instantly that I wanted to play Starcraft II with that I lost contact with years ago. I had no idea most of these people wanted to play SCII in the first place and now I'm talking with them for the first time in years, sharing a common interest.

I don't care if search was the "only" thing exposed; the point is that I should have had the choice to participate in the program at all.

You don't care about privacy, that's fine, but don't force your ideas on other people or try to belittle us because we care.

If I *choose* to put my information online, that's one thing. It's something completely different to make that choice *for* me.

3. Re: Real ID Opt Outs Sep 30, 2010, 23:05 DrEvil

This is totally backwards; it should be opt-in not opt-out. Idiots.  

News Comments > The Bible Online Launches
18. Re: The Bible Online Launches Sep 28, 2010, 22:59 DrEvil

Anyone want to build a Secrete]sic] warehouse?

http://www.bibleonlinegame.com/image/screenshot/5.jpg

Way to reinforce the uneducated blind faith stereotype guys.

(Not that I don't think they're "off their rocker" anyways...)

News Comments > On the GOG.com Hoax
20. Re: On the GOG.com Hoax Sep 23, 2010, 01:58 DrEvil

Dev wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 22:57:
In chapter 3 they continue the hoax by saying Baldurs gate is "available today"

Ironically at the end of chapter 3 (as in the other chapters they continue the silly monk thing) they say that "acts are more important than words"

Uh, you forgot about that whole "timezones" thing. Wherever they're located could be tomorrow already

News Comments > On the GOG.com Hoax
14. Re: On the GOG.com Hoax Sep 23, 2010, 00:16 DrEvil

Prez wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 23:42:
I can't believe they did this! What an obnoxious stunt! I may never buy from them ag... ooohh, look - Baldur's Gate!

Hey - I guess it worked!

I already own an original copy of BG 1 + Exp & BG II, what do I get out of this?

News Comments > Elemental Patched
13. Re: Elemental Patched Sep 18, 2010, 00:01 DrEvil

Scottso wrote on Sep 17, 2010, 23:29:
For what it's worth, it's really easy to get a refund. Coming here complaining that you should have bought Civ 5 instead is kind of disingenuous since you CAN get a refund on Elemental. Let's see you get one if you decide you hate Civ 5...

It isn't "disingenuous" at all. I'm simply expressing that the money I spent on Elemental would have been better off spent on Civ 5 *right now*. Even if I can get a refund, a refund won't repair my opinion of Stardock, and it won't give me back the time I've wasted on Elemental so far.

In the end, I'm just a very disappointed gamer. I really expected better of Stardock after Gal Civ II.

News Comments > Elemental Patched
2. Re: Elemental Patched Sep 17, 2010, 22:09 DrEvil

To paraphrase an age-old lament:

"Is this the patch that makes the game fun?"

I hate to agree, but Elemental has been incredibly disappointing despite the patches. I'm really regretting spending the $70 it cost to get elemental limited edition direct from stardock.

I should have waited and bought Civ 5 instead

I think stardock may eventually get Elemental to the level of quality Gal Civ II reached, but I feel like I spent too much to have to wait that long for them to fix it. This game should not have shipped; it wasn't ready.

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 2010, 00:02.

News Comments > Runic: Torchlight 3 Before Diablo III
17. Re: Runic: Torchlight 3 before Diablo III Aug 25, 2010, 03:46 DrEvil

Slashman wrote on Aug 25, 2010, 00:28:
I'm still trying to figure out what was so great about Torchlight.

It's basically Fate

I sat down and started to play it on a friend's system and I was like: They rebranded Fate and added 3 classes.

I'm amazed that people found this so entertaining. $20 was way too much for this game.

I'm amazed that so many people think their view of a game is the only valid one.

There are many, many people that felt torchlight was well worth $20 -- I'm one of them and there are others.

And even if you personally didn't feel like it was worth $20, you could have just played the demo and then bought it on steam during one of the sales for $5!

I actually liked the game so much I bought copies for my friends and two for myself.

It's ok that you didn't like it, but don't assume no one else does.

News Comments > John Carmack on Cloud Gaming and RAGE Dedicated Servers
4. Re: John Carmack on Cloud Gaming and RAGE Dedicated Servers Aug 14, 2010, 14:59 DrEvil

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Aug 14, 2010, 14:45:
John of all people should understand that dedicated servers are a technological advantage over peer-to-peering. There's no ifs, ands or buts (or butts) about it; you have dedicated servers, you can have a game that relies less on client-side prediction and gives the players a more authentic experience based on what everyone in-game is actually doing, with less of the outcome reliant on luck.

I'm positive he understands that. I believe what he's referring to here is *user-run* dedicated servers.

I could see him possibly not understanding that since he's probably never been in the group of people that run one for their friends or take pride in running one for the community.

News Comments > King's Quest Fan-Game Episode One
10. Re: King's Quest Fan-Game Episode One Jul 12, 2010, 01:40 DrEvil

Cutter wrote on Jul 11, 2010, 14:28:
Any mirrors for this, sigh, they want you to register on some website to download it, no thanks.

My understanding is that their agreement to be able to release the game requires them to not allow redistribution. Hence no mirrors. And I suspect they want registration so they have an idea of how many unique individuals actually downloaded it.

News Comments > NVIDIA 400 Series Reviews
6. Re: NVIDIA 400 Series Reviews Mar 27, 2010, 00:11 DrEvil

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 26, 2010, 22:59:
Move along...nothing to see here...go buy a 5850...
Thanks for nothing NvidiA.
Sweeping away the hype; not finding anything left,
Ray

Unfortunately, for those of that don't use Windows (and I'm not talking about Linux, although that would apply too), nVidia remains the best option driver-support wise.

I like ATi's hardware, but they provide no support for my high-end workstation OS :/

News Comments > John Carmack Earns GDC Lifetime Achievement Award
23. Re: John Carmack Earns GDC Lifetime Achievement Award Feb 22, 2010, 19:47 DrEvil

What a crock. Should have gone to Derek Smart

You have sullied the good name of Dr. Evil.

*takes off white glove, smacks imposter*

Carmack more than deserves this award. I have the job I do today thanks to people like him.

News Comments > PC Return to Ostagar for Dragon Age Released
7. Re: PC Return to Ostagar for Dragon Age Released Jan 30, 2010, 17:39 DrEvil

Than what is the use of a points system in the first place?

My guess is that by making you exchange money for points instead of money for content that they get to do additional legal maneuvering they couldn't otherwise.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 DLC Issue Workarounds
20. Re: BioWare DLC Issue Workarounds Jan 26, 2010, 23:09 DrEvil

nin wrote on Jan 26, 2010, 19:34:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/103/index/765984/6#777498

Class act Bioware, class act.

My bet is that you can't remove the helmet since the entire armor set is probably a single model.

Oh well; wouldn't be the first game where the armor hid my character.

News Comments > BC2 LE Preorders, "Non-Transferrable" Multiplayer Requires EA.com
33. Re: BC2 LE Preorders, Jan 24, 2010, 20:55 DrEvil

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 24, 2010, 16:36:
In other words you're paying $50 to rent a game.
No, asshole - you're paying $50 to buy the game. The only difference is that you can't resell or transfer the game to anyone else, though you can't with services like Steam anyway. This is a complete non-issue, especially for PC gamers. I mean, how many people honestly sell their games on or trade them in? Do you? Or is this more about the principle than the practicalities?

Sorry, but you're the idiot here. If you *purchase* (buy) a product, historically you have had the right to transfer that product to anyone else. As for how many people sell their games or trade them in? Obviously you haven't been paying much attention to the success of GameStop, etc. or how Wal-Mart and even Best Buy now offer trade-in services. There's also a slew of secondhand stores that sell used PC games such as the Half-Price book store (in my area).

News Comments > Blizzard Discouraging WoW Account Restorations, Considering Mandatory Authenticators
16. Re: Blizzard Discouraging WoW Account Restorations, Considering Mandatory Authenticators Jan 9, 2010, 03:54 DrEvil

I bought an Authenticator last year; never been sorry.

Of course, I've never had my account hacked, and its been years since I had a virus/trojan (that I'm aware of) on my Windows boxen.

Running Windows means you have a very good chance of getting some nefarious evil program on your system even if you follow the best security practices.

I'm all for making the Authenticators mandatory personally, as long as having one doesn't lead Blizzard to automatically assume your account can't be hacked (which would be stupid).

News Comments > Divinity II: Ego Draconis Trailer
7. Re: Divinity II: Ego Draconis Trailer Dec 23, 2009, 23:08 DrEvil

Belzabub wrote on Dec 23, 2009, 18:45:
Demo better than the POS that is DA:O!!

I have sincere doubts about the veracity of your claims. Perhasp you could provide something substantive to support them?

If Dragon Age: Origins was a "POS", then it's the finest polished turd of a game I've ever played

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 2009, 23:08.

News Comments > Divinity II: Ego Draconis Trailer
2. Re: Divinity II: Ego Draconis Trailer Dec 23, 2009, 16:41 DrEvil

Okay, not really about the trailer, but I tried the demo and I already found several major annoyances (for me):

* No save/load in Demo, and even though the game claims it is autosaving, if you have to restart the game (because you changed some settings and want them to take effect) you'll have to start all over from the beginning of the demo, which leads me to ...

* You can't skip the Intro videos when starting the game, nor when creating a new one.

* Performance is abysmal on my Core 2 Duo E6600 8GB RAM XP 32-bit System with a GeForce GTX 280 regardless of lowest or highest graphics settings. Shame. Specifically, the game is pausing every half-second or so briefly and then is fine. All other games run flawlessly on my system, so I'll have to assume that there is a bug here.

* Character animations are over the top. Seriously, every single NPC you talk to in the game gesticulates so wildly you're afraid they're going to hit you accidentally when they're talking to you.

* Camera is b0rken. A few times in a conversation with NPCs, the camera would be placed halfway through my character's model and I couldn't see anything.

* You can't customise the character at all for the demo; not even the frickin' name!

* Grammar is an odd mix of middle and modern English at times. For example, one character said something like "the Divine must be revenged!" While Revenged might be acceptable for middle-English, the odd mix of modern and middle means it would have been better to say "avenged".

I enjoyed Divine Divinity to a point and Beyond Dvinity, but despite the somewhat interesting story that might be here, and the fairly nice graphics, the Demo has completely turned me off from buying this game.

News Comments > On Sale
25. Re: On Sale Dec 23, 2009, 03:57 DrEvil

One thing I noticed...none of the Interplay games are on sale...and really wish they would get Freespace 2 on Steam. If they had an Interplay catalog bundle on sale I'd snap it up.

gog.com has Interplay stuff on sale, and quite frankly, I prefer GOG to steam. In particular, gog.com has a Freespace bundle right now dirt cheap.

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 2009, 03:57.

475 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo