Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anonymous User

Real Name Anonymous User   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DrEvil
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 31, 2000, 05:27
Total Comments 485 (Amateur)
User ID 5120

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Witcher 2 Preorder Response
24. Re: Witcher 2 Preorder Response Nov 22, 2010, 15:50 DrEvil

nutshell42 wrote on Nov 22, 2010, 15:46:
I used to argue against DRM, too. I still admire their stance and wish them only the best but I fear a few things point to the sad conclusion that getting a week or two of sales before the game is cracked is one of the most important factors for PC game sales.

I'm not sure what universe you're from, but in this one, a lot of games are cracked before they even hit the shelves. So I'm not sure where you're getting this imaginary "one to two weeks of sales from", but it's quite hilarious.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DRM-Free Witcher 2 Preorders on GOG.com
19. Re: DRM-Free Witcher 2 Preorders on GOG.com Nov 18, 2010, 16:46 DrEvil

Kajetan wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 16:13:
Overon wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 14:30:
Wow so let me get this straight.

You preorder Witcher 2 you from GOG you get it DRM free?
Yes and no. Yes to the DRM-free part, no to the preorder part. This is no preorder. It's only a promo page, where you can download free stuff after logging in into your GOG account. And once again, GOG.com is making fun of it's customers. Another perfect example of polish humor?

But i do like the DRM-less approach, a lot!!!

What planet are you on? It clearly says pre-order, and clearly requires you to login to do it.

News Comments > Gaikai Open Beta
8. Re: Gaikai Open Beta Nov 18, 2010, 14:00 DrEvil

Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 11:09:
Still, no self-respecting PC gamer would ever be caught dead playing at those resolutions and with those levels of graphical artifacting.

Creston

And yet, the graphics are probably better than the Nintendo Wii.

*ducks*

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Nov 17, 2010, 14:27 DrEvil

Oh how the mighty have fallen. Seriously Brian Reynolds, Zygna?  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Nov 16, 2010, 03:01 DrEvil

space captain wrote on Nov 15, 2010, 23:24:
CDs are digital.. and they are 16bit 44k

And if it's an SACD, it can be even better than that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD

...try up to 2.8224 MHz

News Comments > Emergent Selling Gamebryo
20. Re: Emergent Selling Gamebryo Nov 12, 2010, 16:30 DrEvil

Quboid wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 14:55:
At a guess Id will be even more in the engine developing business after Rage, possibly not releasing anything to gamers beyond tech demos.

How is that any different than usual?

I kid, I kid. But seriously, iD has produced very few "great" games since their move to 3D (I'm talking real accelerated 3D -- not raycasting engines like DOOM).

Seriously, they gave us three good 3D Games Quake I-III and that was it.

Nothing great since then. Well, ok, I admit I enjoyed the hell out of DOOM Resurrection on the iPhone, but every man has his guilty pleasures

News Comments > Retailers Versus Steam?
89. Re: Retailers Versus Steam? Nov 11, 2010, 17:51 DrEvil

Nxs wrote on Nov 11, 2010, 16:41:
Nxs wrote on Nov 11, 2010, 12:22:
Wrong! What is really driving people to steam? You can't play a damn PC game without it! IN other words, you have no choice but to play almost any PC game on steam no matter where you bought it.
Almost any game? What? Nonsense, plenty of games don't use steam. You are talking full steamworks games which are a minority, not a majority. Just because you can buy it on steam and use it on steam, doesn't mean steam is required if you buy a retail copy.

It does if that retail copy uses steamworks DRM, which a lot of retail copies do.

While there are some titles soled on Steam and also sold in the store without steam, those seem far less common than the "steam-only" variety.

84. Re: Retailers Versus Steam? Nov 11, 2010, 17:11 DrEvil

space captain wrote on Nov 11, 2010, 16:40:
DrEvil wrote on Nov 11, 2010, 16:05:
You talk about Steam as if the service was responsible for setting the prices. It's not. The publishers set the prices; not Steam.

You speak as if they have zero input on the matter - and thats ludicrous

Steam is a multi-billion corp, they've got plenty of swing with the pubs

You give them too much credit. Maybe in another one or two years as more and more retail sales get pushed onto Steam they might have that clout, but even then, revenue from console games dwarfs the PC.

If Valve tried to push EA for example, EA would probably just say, "Hey, we already have our own digital distribution service, bye!".

Even then, should Valve have that kind of power? That's the sort of behaviour you expect from monopolists.

Ultimately, I don't want Valve to control pricing. I want the free market to.

76. Re: Retailers Versus Steam? Nov 11, 2010, 16:08 DrEvil

Please provide a link to a better alternative. I'm interested in Impulse but its nice having all my games in Steam and I'm willing to spend a few extra bucks.

I'd say gog.com is my personal next best alternative (strictly speaking experience wise).

However, I don't think gog.com's current model would work well for games that need to be updated frequently as they don't have an easy update program or the like.

I use Steam as well, but I wish Steam was more like GOG.

In particular, I find it really heinous that Valve allows publishers to add their own DRM on top of the DRM that Steam already provides. (e.g. games that use SecuROM in addition to Steam) That's something Valve could require publishers not do, but they'd rather have the money

75. Re: Retailers Versus Steam? Nov 11, 2010, 16:05 DrEvil

space captain wrote on Nov 11, 2010, 15:19:
Steam is bullshit for charging full retail prices on games when you receive no actual physical merchandise.. as there is a significant amount of developmental money that goes into art/packaging/advertising, which is recouped in the purchase price - and im not just talking about the component cost, which is negligible. Since steam doesnt deliver any physical materials, the resulting retail price should be lower by a noticeable margin.

You talk about Steam as if the service was responsible for setting the prices. It's not. The publishers set the prices; not Steam.

Even then though, you're being a bit unfair given that you can practically guarantee that at multiple points during the year, publishers choose to sell their games on Steam for far below the amount you'd ever find them at retail.

60. Re: Retailers Versus Steam? Nov 11, 2010, 14:54 DrEvil

Rattlehead wrote on Nov 11, 2010, 10:12:
What a crock of shit. Steam has done wonders for PC gaming. It doesn't have a monopoly since there are many other digital distribution channels to choose from.

Whoever wrote this article must be really butthurt. Yea, I'm guessing it's that dick bag Wardell.

Nice troll, but actually, but these complaints seem to be primarily from a group of UK "High Street" retailers.

It's possible that the very last quote about putting pressure on retailers came from Impulse, but it could have just as easily came from gamersgate, direct2drive, or anything other large DD service.

News Comments > Gratuitous Space Battles: Galactic Conquest Preorders, Beta
2. Re: Gratuitous Space Battles: Galactic Conquest Preorders, Beta Nov 8, 2010, 15:43 DrEvil

To put the requirement for an internet connection in context:

You will also NEED an internet connection as you play the campaign, because of the games tight integration with the online server that selects enemies for you to fight.

News Comments > German Call of Duty: Black Ops EU Ban
21. Re: EU Call of Duty: Black Ops German Ban Oct 28, 2010, 20:15 DrEvil

Sepharo wrote on Oct 28, 2010, 19:54:
The idiocy in this thread is amazing.

Activision wants to enforce a region lockout, Germany wants to enforce an adult rating ban, and apparently when Steam agrees to their demands simply as a retailer it is Valve's fault.

Fucking clowns. This is not like Wal-Mart banning books. It's a fucking contractual agreement required by Activision.

No freakin' kidding. This whole mess ultimately only exists because of laws in Germany. It doesn't matter if Germany has an age verification system. The point is that crap wouldn't even be needed if it wasn't for German law.

News Comments > Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com
28. Re: Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com Oct 27, 2010, 22:35 DrEvil

PHJF wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 16:19:
Stripping D&D down to a single PC was the worst offense of NWN.

Sorry, single PC and a "henchman". Worst. Idea. Ever.

Sorry, must disagree. I would rather have automated henchman any day. I'm too lazy.

News Comments > BioShock 2 PC DLC Plans Revived
11. Re: BioShock 2 PC DLC Plans Revived Oct 27, 2010, 22:31 DrEvil

Sorry 2K, still not buying it until you remove SuckROM and Games for Windows crap.  

News Comments > Free Elemental DLC for Early Adopters
10. Re: Free Elemental DLC for Early Adopters Oct 27, 2010, 16:20 DrEvil

Verno wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 08:58:
StingingVelvet wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 01:07:
Tumbler wrote on Oct 26, 2010, 20:16:
This game improved much? Seems like both this and civ V got pushed out in a sorry state.

Other than some opponent AI issues I don't see why you would say that about Civ5. It's very, very polished and slick.

Only if you examine the surface gloss and never explore the games sub systems. The game is fundamentally flawed due to the under implemented city states that are poorly balanced. The AI itself has numerous issues that will take months to patch up, assuming some of it can even be fixed at all.

So sure, it may look prettier than other strategy games but that doesn't really mean anything. It's a far more complete game than Elemental but they both definitely share prematurely released status. Civ 5 is frustrating because it takes many positive steps forward but a few idiotic ones back.

Sorry, I disagree. I've logged well over 70 hours playing Civ 5, and while there are some areas that need improvement, I don't see "fundamental flaws".

This is software after all; claiming it's a fundamental flaw implies something can't be changed or fixed.

16. Re: Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com Oct 27, 2010, 16:10 DrEvil

Creston wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 13:31:
The storyline is in no way, shape or form "fantastic."

In fact, it's probably one of the WORST campaigns in RPG history.

I have to disagree. I think NOX or Darkened Skye take the trophy there

That said, the original NWN was a fantastic game, because it allows you to play luminal RPGs such as

www.adamandjamie.com

Check his NWN adventures. They are glorious RPG goodness.

Creston

I personally enjoyed the original NWN campaign, well except for certain parts of the city one. Once you got outside of the beginning city part of the campaign, it was a lot more enjoyable.

15. Re: Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com Oct 27, 2010, 16:09 DrEvil

D4rkKnight wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 12:41:
Atari stopped Bioware from selling the premium modules, but I do notice that one of them, Darkness over Daggerford, was released for free:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=5122

It wasn't so much that Atari stopped them as I believe Atari's right to continue sales stopped. Hasbro owns the rights to D&D, and I believe the Premium Modules fell under different licensing terms.

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2010, 16:15.

News Comments > Free Elemental DLC for Early Adopters
6. Re: Free Elemental DLC for Early Adopters Oct 27, 2010, 00:24 DrEvil

Be certain you've updated the game at least once to ensure that you're seen as registered and can get the expansions free later.  

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
18. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Oct 26, 2010, 19:12 DrEvil

PHJF wrote on Oct 26, 2010, 16:10:
...oh wait, never mind it went and fucked up my desktop icons.

I seriously doubt the installer itself rearranged your icons.

More than likely, Windows helpfully rearranged all of them when your screen resolution changed. Blame Windows, not the driver.

The real question is why Windows defaults to such a low resolution whenever the native drivers are removed, and why it doesn't remember your icon positions on a per-resolution basis.

If it did that, this problem wouldn't happen.

485 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo