Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anonymous User

Real Name Anonymous User   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DrEvil
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 31, 2000, 05:27
Total Comments 475 (Amateur)
User ID 5120

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > Retailers Versus Steam?
60. Re: Retailers Versus Steam? Nov 11, 2010, 14:54 DrEvil

Rattlehead wrote on Nov 11, 2010, 10:12:
What a crock of shit. Steam has done wonders for PC gaming. It doesn't have a monopoly since there are many other digital distribution channels to choose from.

Whoever wrote this article must be really butthurt. Yea, I'm guessing it's that dick bag Wardell.

Nice troll, but actually, but these complaints seem to be primarily from a group of UK "High Street" retailers.

It's possible that the very last quote about putting pressure on retailers came from Impulse, but it could have just as easily came from gamersgate, direct2drive, or anything other large DD service.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gratuitous Space Battles: Galactic Conquest Preorders, Beta
2. Re: Gratuitous Space Battles: Galactic Conquest Preorders, Beta Nov 8, 2010, 15:43 DrEvil

To put the requirement for an internet connection in context:

You will also NEED an internet connection as you play the campaign, because of the games tight integration with the online server that selects enemies for you to fight.

News Comments > German Call of Duty: Black Ops EU Ban
21. Re: EU Call of Duty: Black Ops German Ban Oct 28, 2010, 20:15 DrEvil

Sepharo wrote on Oct 28, 2010, 19:54:
The idiocy in this thread is amazing.

Activision wants to enforce a region lockout, Germany wants to enforce an adult rating ban, and apparently when Steam agrees to their demands simply as a retailer it is Valve's fault.

Fucking clowns. This is not like Wal-Mart banning books. It's a fucking contractual agreement required by Activision.

No freakin' kidding. This whole mess ultimately only exists because of laws in Germany. It doesn't matter if Germany has an age verification system. The point is that crap wouldn't even be needed if it wasn't for German law.

News Comments > Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com
28. Re: Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com Oct 27, 2010, 22:35 DrEvil

PHJF wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 16:19:
Stripping D&D down to a single PC was the worst offense of NWN.

Sorry, single PC and a "henchman". Worst. Idea. Ever.

Sorry, must disagree. I would rather have automated henchman any day. I'm too lazy.

News Comments > BioShock 2 PC DLC Plans Revived
11. Re: BioShock 2 PC DLC Plans Revived Oct 27, 2010, 22:31 DrEvil

Sorry 2K, still not buying it until you remove SuckROM and Games for Windows crap.  

News Comments > Free Elemental DLC for Early Adopters
10. Re: Free Elemental DLC for Early Adopters Oct 27, 2010, 16:20 DrEvil

Verno wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 08:58:
StingingVelvet wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 01:07:
Tumbler wrote on Oct 26, 2010, 20:16:
This game improved much? Seems like both this and civ V got pushed out in a sorry state.

Other than some opponent AI issues I don't see why you would say that about Civ5. It's very, very polished and slick.

Only if you examine the surface gloss and never explore the games sub systems. The game is fundamentally flawed due to the under implemented city states that are poorly balanced. The AI itself has numerous issues that will take months to patch up, assuming some of it can even be fixed at all.

So sure, it may look prettier than other strategy games but that doesn't really mean anything. It's a far more complete game than Elemental but they both definitely share prematurely released status. Civ 5 is frustrating because it takes many positive steps forward but a few idiotic ones back.

Sorry, I disagree. I've logged well over 70 hours playing Civ 5, and while there are some areas that need improvement, I don't see "fundamental flaws".

This is software after all; claiming it's a fundamental flaw implies something can't be changed or fixed.

16. Re: Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com Oct 27, 2010, 16:10 DrEvil

Creston wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 13:31:
The storyline is in no way, shape or form "fantastic."

In fact, it's probably one of the WORST campaigns in RPG history.

I have to disagree. I think NOX or Darkened Skye take the trophy there

That said, the original NWN was a fantastic game, because it allows you to play luminal RPGs such as

www.adamandjamie.com

Check his NWN adventures. They are glorious RPG goodness.

Creston

I personally enjoyed the original NWN campaign, well except for certain parts of the city one. Once you got outside of the beginning city part of the campaign, it was a lot more enjoyable.

15. Re: Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com Oct 27, 2010, 16:09 DrEvil

D4rkKnight wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 12:41:
Atari stopped Bioware from selling the premium modules, but I do notice that one of them, Darkness over Daggerford, was released for free:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=5122

It wasn't so much that Atari stopped them as I believe Atari's right to continue sales stopped. Hasbro owns the rights to D&D, and I believe the Premium Modules fell under different licensing terms.

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2010, 16:15.

News Comments > Free Elemental DLC for Early Adopters
6. Re: Free Elemental DLC for Early Adopters Oct 27, 2010, 00:24 DrEvil

Be certain you've updated the game at least once to ensure that you're seen as registered and can get the expansions free later.  

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
18. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Oct 26, 2010, 19:12 DrEvil

PHJF wrote on Oct 26, 2010, 16:10:
...oh wait, never mind it went and fucked up my desktop icons.

I seriously doubt the installer itself rearranged your icons.

More than likely, Windows helpfully rearranged all of them when your screen resolution changed. Blame Windows, not the driver.

The real question is why Windows defaults to such a low resolution whenever the native drivers are removed, and why it doesn't remember your icon positions on a per-resolution basis.

If it did that, this problem wouldn't happen.

News Comments > Civilization V Free & Paid DLC Released
5. Re: Civilization V Free & Paid DLC Released Oct 25, 2010, 19:23 DrEvil

Spektr wrote on Oct 25, 2010, 19:09:
hmm I'll wait for the expansion pack. with 45 dollar one will probably get ten or so extra civilizations and much more. Am I the only one to think the game feels unfinished as it is? civ4 felt much more complete as far as the modern era was concerned.. television rock n'roll internet. and culture made more sense. you could steal land from neighbours just out of influence. I thought that was a pretty neat idea. Also the UN was much more interesting. To be honest, those dlcs sound like a rip off.

You can steal land from neighbours using culture bombs from great artists. Of course, the difference is that the AI will (rightfully) view that as an aggressive action and may declare war.

I agree that Civ IV seemed to have better wonders and a more interesting tech tree.

Otherwise though, I really like Civ V.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization V Patched
13. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization V Patched Oct 23, 2010, 17:48 DrEvil

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 23, 2010, 17:06:
captawe wrote on Oct 23, 2010, 09:31:
Start a new game maybe???
The hotfix is due on Monday but it's still incredibly annoying. I was in the middle of a Marathon game and really don't want to restart. And I was already holding off on my previous game after I came across the 69-city bug, which meant I couldn't get any further without it crashing - it was one of things meant to be fixed in the patch. Honestly, breaking a game and then saying "wait until Monday" isn't acceptable behaviour.

First of all, it was only a problem for *some* save games, not all, so it's understandable they didn't catch it.

However, what it less forgivable is that the game shipped with a save corruption bug, which means even after the hot fix, your problem may not go away since your save game may already be corrupted.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization V DLC Next Week
14. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization V DLC Next Week Oct 19, 2010, 16:02 DrEvil

Verno wrote on Oct 19, 2010, 10:26:
Making new civs isn't difficult, I really doubt they had to cut any out. Users have already made several. I get what you're saying though, I think it's a bit shitty to be doing DLC while people are waiting for a patch. It's just courtesy that you hold off on that shit until you fix up the game.

And that mindset is wrong. The group of people working on content is usually completely different from those working on patches.

One group is likely mostly artists while the others is mostly developers.

It makes perfect business sense to be doing both things in parallel; nevermind the fact that they are currently intending to deliver the first patch before or at the same time as the first DLC.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization V DLC Next Week
13. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization V DLC Next Week Oct 19, 2010, 15:59 DrEvil

Pubknight wrote on Oct 19, 2010, 10:13:
It's a good game, and hopefully will get there... but I think releasing paid DLC is premature at this stage.
I know personally I have 2 different save games I have shelved waiting for the patch because of game stopping bugs.

And doesn't anyone else get bugged about paid DLC being released a month after the game?
I like DLC... but make it new additional content... not stuff that was obviously stripped out of the initial game.

Sorry, but that argument is old, tired, and wrong.

Game projects and software in general are big enough that multiple teams are often producing content for the same product.

Just because content was starting to be produced before a product was released doesn't mean it should have or could have shipped with the product -- they're on their own release schedules.

For example, did you know that the three lord of the rings movies had much of their footage shot back-to-back? But I'm sure you see why it was reasonable to not expect all the content they shot to be in the first film.

Having parallel production of additional content is simply good business sense to maximise potential revenue from a product.

People's interest in a product is maximal near its release, so it makes sense to release new content as often as possible after its release to keep sales up, and to get revenue from the existing customer base.

Ultimately, game companies are businesses, not charities, and grousing about the fact that they're being run like one is silly at best.

Now if you want to complain about something, complain about the fact that "collector's editions" have now become meaningless, with many of them not actually including all of the content available *at the point of shipping*.

News Comments > Dragon Age II Signature Edition
36. Re: Dragon Age II Signature Edition Oct 15, 2010, 16:01 DrEvil

Creston wrote on Oct 15, 2010, 11:46:
Verno wrote on Oct 15, 2010, 11:26:

I seriously doubt that David Gaider, of all people, is the one pushing for the game to become Dragon Age : God of War Edition...

Go read his forum posts about the games "streamlining". I think he's fully on board with the "push button, awesome happens" development shift (thats an actual quote btw).

I'm sure he's on board, because what else can he really do? He's a WRITER. This is being pushed by EA who feel so sorry for all the console players who thought the first one was way too difficult, and so Bioware has to make it far easier and far more mainstream.

It's not David Gaider who is PUSHING these changes. He knows how much the PC players enjoyed all the humor and awesome dialogue in the original game. He was a frequent participant in the 100+ page quotes thread.

Yes, I'd have a hard time believing David Gaider was behind this as well. I've been fortunate enough to have a few private responses from him which I really appreciated.

I really liked the characters in Dragon Age, especially Zehvran. So freakin' hilarious.

News Comments > The Temple of Elemental Evil on GOG.com
28. Re: The Temple of Elemental Evil on GOG.com Oct 14, 2010, 14:57 DrEvil

Hyatus wrote on Oct 14, 2010, 13:27:
Was it ToEE that deleted your c drive on uninstallation or PoR?
One of them had a bug, if I remember correctly, where if you didn't install it in the default directory it would wipe your drive.

It was Pool of Radiance. Classic.

News Comments > 1 Million GameRanger Users
5. Re: 1 Million GameRanger Users Oct 11, 2010, 23:47 DrEvil

Sepharo wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 22:04:
|oR|jonvall wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 21:13:
Never heard of GameRanger....

Was going to post the same thing.

Same.

News Comments > BioShock 2 PC DLC Plans Scrapped
56. Re: BioShock 2 PC DLC Plans Scrapped Oct 10, 2010, 17:56 DrEvil

Congratulations 2k games; you've officially become the McDonald's of PC Game publishers. I'll only purchase your games at McDonald's prices accordingly.

So glad I never bought Bioshock 2.

News Comments > Pitchford: DNF Cost Broussard $20-30M
32. Re: Pitchford: DNF Cost Broussard $20-30M Oct 7, 2010, 16:06 DrEvil

Creston wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 14:54:
Verno wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 14:46:
AirWreck wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 13:59:
Verno wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 11:14:
GRRM fans will know what I'm talking about there

Thanks for reminding me. Winter is coming damn it! Robert Jordan fans really know what that's like.

I gave up on him awhile ago. Even if he finishes the current book he's working on, there is no hope for the rest of the series given his chosen physical condition and age. Look up Steven Erikson sometime, that dude is a machine, writes amazing stuff and has an insane work ethic.

Unless dead people can write, I don't think Robert Jordan is in much danger of ever finishing that series.

Creston

The estate selected a new author to finish the series as Robert Jordan (pen name btw; real name was James Oliver Rigney, Jr.) actually wrote down (and/or dictated) the end of the story to his family before he passed away.

So yes actually, it will be finished, and new books drawing the series to its conclusion have already been published.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition
5. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition Oct 1, 2010, 04:06 DrEvil

Kedyn wrote on Oct 1, 2010, 01:41:
Am I the only one that found Dragon Age to be a bit overrated?

Yes Nah, you might have felt that way, but I didn't. I loved every flippin' moment of it. Especially Zevran.

Then again, when you pretty much force the player into playing as a Mage because the only two other Mages in the game don't play well together - and the only way to get anywhere in the early game at "Not Pussy" difficulty without getting constantly faceraped is to use two mages - I get a little pissed off.

Nope, other classes are viable too. I admit I played the mage option, but I've also played with warrior as well.

475 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo