Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anonymous User

Real Name Anonymous User   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DrEvil
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 31, 2000, 05:27
Total Comments 475 (Amateur)
User ID 5120

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > EVE Online: Incursion Launches
16. Re: EVE Online: Incursion Launches Nov 30, 2010, 15:44 DrEvil

saluk wrote on Nov 30, 2010, 15:11:
If they change who they cater to, they lose the community they have spent 7 years building. For them, it's better to continue to try to build that community, and keep some of the mechanics the hardcore desire, and stay a hardcore game. It's not for everyone, but it seems to be exactly for the people who do play eve. And there are enough people who play eve to sustain it.

As I said, I can accept the game isn't for me. But EVE has a lot of things that need fixing.

I could live with the "hardcore" aspects of the game if it wasn't so utterly and completely *boring*.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: EVE Online: Incursion Launches Nov 30, 2010, 14:59 DrEvil

Aganazer wrote on Nov 30, 2010, 14:57:
DrEvil wrote on Nov 30, 2010, 14:37:
Entirely new players to the game often get blown out of the sky even in "safe" zones due to EVE's insistence on "PvP all the time".

Like I said, they would have to be doing something very wrong. I have NEVER gotten any ship of mine blown up for any reason since I started playing 6 months ago. Neither have my two other friends that started at the same time.

Its really quite simple. Don't open other people's cans. Don't shoot at other people. Stay away from low sec. Warp to zero. I guarantee that 90% of those newbie kills are from not having read the rules about can flipping.

Wrong. I personally (when I played the game last year) was blown out of the sky by someone dropping into a high sec zone, floating some type of super bomb towards a station, and then flying back out quickly, all before the stupid high-sec patrol showed up (long after I was dead) to do something about it.

In fairness to CCP, they eventually fixed it so you couldn't do this, but the point is the game is super unfriendly.

10. Re: EVE Online: Incursion Launches Nov 30, 2010, 14:37 DrEvil

Aganazer wrote on Nov 30, 2010, 14:26:
People outfit PvP ships pretty cheap so its a small percentage overall and if you're losing PvE ships then you're doing something very wrong anyway.

Sorry, but you're just being disengenous with that remark. Entirely new players to the game often get blown out of the sky even in "safe" zones due to EVE's insistence on "PvP all the time".

I can accept EVE is "not for me"; but it's still fair to say that the game has some truly underwhelming mechanics.

It will always remain a niche market game as long as it continues to cater to the hardcore niche and continues to be geared to maximise CCP's profits.

5. Re: EVE Online: Incursion Launches Nov 30, 2010, 13:55 DrEvil

WyldKat wrote on Nov 30, 2010, 13:25:
Black Prophecy is everyone who doesn't like playing a pretty spreadsheets answer to EVE, and it couldn't come soon enough.

Dear <optional deit(ies) here> yes. I can't stand Eve. It was great for the first day or so, and then you realised that the entire game is setup in such a way to ensure you stay subscribed just so you can pay them money long enough for them to make a profit.

And don't get me started on the pointless number of hours I spent just travelling from place to place without doing *anything*!

And no, sorry, I'm not interested in a graphical spreadsheet application or IRC client. I want a game!

News Comments > OnLive Thanks Early Adopters
7. Re: OnLive Thanks Early Adopters Nov 26, 2010, 07:27 DrEvil

necrosis wrote on Nov 26, 2010, 01:48:
Tanto Edge wrote on Nov 25, 2010, 19:43:
Nice move!
I sincerely hope the service improves and grows, as it's definitely a next gen thing.
Imagine if they could emulate through iPhone or Android?
There's no end to the possibilities.
Stream Doom to your Android, stream Crysis to the iPhone.
It's just an image buffer issue and they're overcoming these things fast.

The future is now
I hope it does not. Things like this can drive gaming and innovation into the ground.

Limited hardware. Crappy resolutions. Lack of tweaking and modding. It is everything that will cause the death of any decent gaming and take the control over what we play and how we play it out of our hands.

Yes please. Let this die, die, die, die, die.

This will turn gaming into software as a service whether it's single player or multi player.

What little rights we have left at this point as gamers will be gone when things like OnLive become prevalent.

News Comments > Mac Civilization V Released
8. Re: Mac Civilization V Released Nov 23, 2010, 16:05 DrEvil

avianflu wrote on Nov 23, 2010, 11:12:
Civ 5 did not seem well rec'd by either gamers or reviewers.

The reviewers were generally very positive.

As for users, they seem split half and half from what I've seen.

I like the game, but after logging over 92 hours playing it, I'm pretty much done with it and have lost almost all interest.

I think it's a *good*, but not *great* game. Maybe after a few more patches it will become great, but not right now.

News Comments > Elder Scrolls 5 Rumor
53. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Rumor Nov 23, 2010, 15:54 DrEvil

Steele Johnson wrote on Nov 23, 2010, 15:51:
Has anyone seen a game using the RAGE engine? The only one I've seen is the Rage iPhone app, which generally demonstrates an on-rails, closed quarters shooter like all the id games. Show me a shipped game that uses the RAGE engine and then I'll pass judgement.

No one will until iD or their parent company releases one. They've already said they won't be licensing the Rage engine to anyone else.

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Launch Plans
5. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Launch Plans Nov 23, 2010, 00:12 DrEvil

BadPennyz wrote on Nov 22, 2010, 23:26:
Only about 11 million people, mostly in china tho. When I start thinking about playing WoW again I vomit in my mouth.

Is your doctor's last name Pavlov by any chance?

News Comments > CD Projekt vs Piracy
25. Re: CD Projekt vs Piracy Nov 23, 2010, 00:10 DrEvil

Creston wrote on Nov 22, 2010, 22:36:
So, it's basically the RIAA way?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, CD Projekt, but the RIAA spent like 20 million dollars in legal fees to collect 800,000 dollars of fines.

That is not what normal people would call smart business.

Creston

No, this is perfectly legitimate. They're protecting their commercial interests, and I sincerely doubt they're going to demand millions of dollars or even tens of thousands like the RIAA does.

There's also a huge difference here -- the RIAA is trying to defend a dying business model that's reliant on a ridiculous long term copyright system, while CD Projekt is simply trying to protect a legitimate product. They are the artist and publisher here!

The only mistake they made as I see it was to announce this. They should have just done it quietly and moved on.

The game is DRM free. That's sufficient to earn my goodwill.

If they want to go after cheapskates who download crap from torrent sites, then more power to them!

News Comments > Witcher 2 Preorder Response
43. Re: Witcher 2 Preorder Response Nov 22, 2010, 20:32 DrEvil

Overon wrote on Nov 22, 2010, 20:09:
If CD Projekt keep doing stuff like this they will join the likes of Valve, Blizzard in the small group of the ultra PC friendly developers.

You mean, join the group of ultra PC friendly developers that developers like Blizzard are no longer part of? Sorry, after Blizzard's removal of true LAN play, spawning, addition of RealID and everything else, they deserve to be named fiends; not friends.

News Comments > Witcher 2 Preorder Response
24. Re: Witcher 2 Preorder Response Nov 22, 2010, 15:50 DrEvil

nutshell42 wrote on Nov 22, 2010, 15:46:
I used to argue against DRM, too. I still admire their stance and wish them only the best but I fear a few things point to the sad conclusion that getting a week or two of sales before the game is cracked is one of the most important factors for PC game sales.

I'm not sure what universe you're from, but in this one, a lot of games are cracked before they even hit the shelves. So I'm not sure where you're getting this imaginary "one to two weeks of sales from", but it's quite hilarious.

News Comments > DRM-Free Witcher 2 Preorders on GOG.com
19. Re: DRM-Free Witcher 2 Preorders on GOG.com Nov 18, 2010, 16:46 DrEvil

Kajetan wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 16:13:
Overon wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 14:30:
Wow so let me get this straight.

You preorder Witcher 2 you from GOG you get it DRM free?
Yes and no. Yes to the DRM-free part, no to the preorder part. This is no preorder. It's only a promo page, where you can download free stuff after logging in into your GOG account. And once again, GOG.com is making fun of it's customers. Another perfect example of polish humor?

But i do like the DRM-less approach, a lot!!!

What planet are you on? It clearly says pre-order, and clearly requires you to login to do it.

News Comments > Gaikai Open Beta
8. Re: Gaikai Open Beta Nov 18, 2010, 14:00 DrEvil

Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 11:09:
Still, no self-respecting PC gamer would ever be caught dead playing at those resolutions and with those levels of graphical artifacting.

Creston

And yet, the graphics are probably better than the Nintendo Wii.

*ducks*

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Nov 17, 2010, 14:27 DrEvil

Oh how the mighty have fallen. Seriously Brian Reynolds, Zygna?  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Nov 16, 2010, 03:01 DrEvil

space captain wrote on Nov 15, 2010, 23:24:
CDs are digital.. and they are 16bit 44k

And if it's an SACD, it can be even better than that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD

...try up to 2.8224 MHz

News Comments > Emergent Selling Gamebryo
20. Re: Emergent Selling Gamebryo Nov 12, 2010, 16:30 DrEvil

Quboid wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 14:55:
At a guess Id will be even more in the engine developing business after Rage, possibly not releasing anything to gamers beyond tech demos.

How is that any different than usual?

I kid, I kid. But seriously, iD has produced very few "great" games since their move to 3D (I'm talking real accelerated 3D -- not raycasting engines like DOOM).

Seriously, they gave us three good 3D Games Quake I-III and that was it.

Nothing great since then. Well, ok, I admit I enjoyed the hell out of DOOM Resurrection on the iPhone, but every man has his guilty pleasures

News Comments > Retailers Versus Steam?
89. Re: Retailers Versus Steam? Nov 11, 2010, 17:51 DrEvil

Nxs wrote on Nov 11, 2010, 16:41:
Nxs wrote on Nov 11, 2010, 12:22:
Wrong! What is really driving people to steam? You can't play a damn PC game without it! IN other words, you have no choice but to play almost any PC game on steam no matter where you bought it.
Almost any game? What? Nonsense, plenty of games don't use steam. You are talking full steamworks games which are a minority, not a majority. Just because you can buy it on steam and use it on steam, doesn't mean steam is required if you buy a retail copy.

It does if that retail copy uses steamworks DRM, which a lot of retail copies do.

While there are some titles soled on Steam and also sold in the store without steam, those seem far less common than the "steam-only" variety.

84. Re: Retailers Versus Steam? Nov 11, 2010, 17:11 DrEvil

space captain wrote on Nov 11, 2010, 16:40:
DrEvil wrote on Nov 11, 2010, 16:05:
You talk about Steam as if the service was responsible for setting the prices. It's not. The publishers set the prices; not Steam.

You speak as if they have zero input on the matter - and thats ludicrous

Steam is a multi-billion corp, they've got plenty of swing with the pubs

You give them too much credit. Maybe in another one or two years as more and more retail sales get pushed onto Steam they might have that clout, but even then, revenue from console games dwarfs the PC.

If Valve tried to push EA for example, EA would probably just say, "Hey, we already have our own digital distribution service, bye!".

Even then, should Valve have that kind of power? That's the sort of behaviour you expect from monopolists.

Ultimately, I don't want Valve to control pricing. I want the free market to.

76. Re: Retailers Versus Steam? Nov 11, 2010, 16:08 DrEvil

Please provide a link to a better alternative. I'm interested in Impulse but its nice having all my games in Steam and I'm willing to spend a few extra bucks.

I'd say gog.com is my personal next best alternative (strictly speaking experience wise).

However, I don't think gog.com's current model would work well for games that need to be updated frequently as they don't have an easy update program or the like.

I use Steam as well, but I wish Steam was more like GOG.

In particular, I find it really heinous that Valve allows publishers to add their own DRM on top of the DRM that Steam already provides. (e.g. games that use SecuROM in addition to Steam) That's something Valve could require publishers not do, but they'd rather have the money

75. Re: Retailers Versus Steam? Nov 11, 2010, 16:05 DrEvil

space captain wrote on Nov 11, 2010, 15:19:
Steam is bullshit for charging full retail prices on games when you receive no actual physical merchandise.. as there is a significant amount of developmental money that goes into art/packaging/advertising, which is recouped in the purchase price - and im not just talking about the component cost, which is negligible. Since steam doesnt deliver any physical materials, the resulting retail price should be lower by a noticeable margin.

You talk about Steam as if the service was responsible for setting the prices. It's not. The publishers set the prices; not Steam.

Even then though, you're being a bit unfair given that you can practically guarantee that at multiple points during the year, publishers choose to sell their games on Steam for far below the amount you'd ever find them at retail.

475 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo