Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anonymous User

Real Name Anonymous User   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DrEvil
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 31, 2000, 05:27
Total Comments 475 (Amateur)
User ID 5120

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > RAGE Mods Will Be All the Rage
19. Re: RAGE Mods Will Be All the Rage May 6, 2011, 12:19 DrEvil

Bumpy wrote on May 5, 2011, 22:44:
First priority mods will be to remove the consolitus.

Why would you remove the console? That's how you start the editor

But seriously, how can you even begin to accuse them of consolitis?

I mean, the protagonist obviously carries more than three weapons at a time

Oh wait, wrong game

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Open Source Beyond Protocol and Star Alliances
2. Re: Open Source Beyond Protocol and Star Alliances May 4, 2011, 13:49 DrEvil

A somewhat half-hearted gesture by the developer.

It's apparently Visual Basic .NET code, and it's released under the fairly restrictive "Non-Profit Open Software License version 3.0":

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/NOSL3.0

That's a problem because it's incompatible with a large number of licenses from other libraries and projects.

While I'm sure fans might appreciate the gesture, it's a poor choice of license and will keep it from being widely available on other platforms.

In particular, condition 17, a) of the license seems difficult at best for anyone to actually legally fulfil:

(a) Licensor represents and declares that it is a not-for-profit organization that derives no revenue whatsoever from the distribution of the Original Work or Derivative Works thereof, or from support or services relating thereto.

Yes, because every open source developer just happens to be part of a Non-Profit organisation. *rolls eyes*

News Comments > Why RAGE Has No Deathmatch
27. Re: Why RAGE Has No Deathmatch May 1, 2011, 16:30 DrEvil

Sepharo wrote on May 1, 2011, 15:25:
We've had some successes; we've had some failures.

Quake 3
Doom 3
------
Rage

So from possibly the best deathmatcher ever to one that was ignored almost immediately and now no offering at all. Can't really blame them. You can't make a good deathmatch if you don't believe you can make a good deathmatch.

That's of course only if you ignore Quake Live, which is a newer product and one they're still actively developing.

News Comments > Civilization V Patched
3. Re: Civilization V Patched Apr 29, 2011, 00:19 DrEvil

Parias wrote on Apr 28, 2011, 23:30:
And yet STILL no option to enable unit animations in multiplayer? I'll continue to be disappointed until they fix that - we have a LAN party waiting on exactly this update.

Unfortunately, my understanding is that's a much bigger problem than simply animating. They apparently didn't build support for it into the networking protocol at all.

News Comments > Portal 2 User Review Backlash
94. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 15:58 DrEvil

Rockn-Roll wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 15:54:
It very very much is a console port

You keep using that word, but I do not think it means what you think it means.

Here's an accepted definition of console port for reference:

"Console Port" is a term specifically used to describe a game that was originally made for a console (such as PS3 or Xbox 360) before an identical version is created which can be played on a personal computer. This term has been widely used by the gaming community, primarily in a negative way due to the higher levels of performance that computers had during that generation of gaming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porting

Portal 2 was first developed, written, and designed on a PC. If it was "ported" to anything, it was ported to a console.

Now you might be able to successfully argue that its user interface and gameplay style was designed to work for multiple platforms, but that *does NOT* make it a console port.

90. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 15:43 DrEvil

Verno wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 15:14:
Actually, I think the load times are a bit much and I have a next generation 10,000 RPM high-end SATA drive, so stuff it

You should probably examine your setup, I have it running on a 7200RPM Caviar Black and most levels load in under ten seconds. My SSD doesn't load it much faster than that either, usually a second or two. If it's taking much more than that then it's most likely related to a user-config specific issue. I agree though his reply was a bit silly in the context.

No, my config's fine. I'm just impatient and think 7-10 seconds is too long ;-)

I think part of it is a matter of perception -- the original created the perception that load times weren't that bad because it presented the loading differently.

77. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 14:58 DrEvil

necrosis wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 14:49:
Jesus Christ. People bitching about the load times seriously need to shut the hell up or upgrade their 1980's HDD. You seriously should have at least a SATA II HDD by now and almost all of them are at least 7200 RPM. I do not think they make desktop HDD's slower than that anymore.

7200 RPM SATA II *LAPTOP* HDD and the load times were no more than 10 seconds. Usually less.

Actually, I think the load times are a bit much and I have a next generation 10,000 RPM high-end SATA drive, so stuff it

While I like to bitch with everyone else about shitty console ports... THIS GAME IS NOT ONE OF THEM.

Yes, it's definitely not a console port. I think people are just starting to call anything a console port that they don't like. The true definition of console port has been lost in the noise.

56. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 13:45 DrEvil

Halo wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 13:41:
As far as I can remember there has always been "hallway" loading in all of the other Valve games. It's like Portal 2 is the first game they've played.

I think the issue at hand is that the loading is far more distracting and obvious than the original Portal.

Personally, I'd like to see more games take the approach the original Dungeon Siege did. I loved that one, big seamless world...

48. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 13:22 DrEvil

shul wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 12:26:
With an SSD, the loading times are much more bearable.

Although I do think that some caching is in order here valve.

Yeah, no kidding. This is the first title my 10K RPM SATA drive actually takes more than just a few seconds to load for each level :-)

News Comments > RAGE Trailer
28. Re: RAGE Trailer Apr 19, 2011, 15:51 DrEvil

FiLTHY_SNiPER wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 13:04:
I could clearly see pan juttering, so it's no doubt capped at 30fps like most console games.

Nope. Carmack explicitly stated in a recent interview that he repeatedly and forcibly insisted that the game run at 60. He mentioned that as a result of that, they had to make some visual tradeoffs he wasn't completely happy about, but felt that 60+ was really important.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Portal 2
30. Re: Ships Ahoy - Portal 2 Apr 19, 2011, 14:31 DrEvil

Ray Marden wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 12:45:
Nin, I am left handed and use a right-sided mouse.

However, that is no excuse for using reverse mouselook.

Go take your pop tarts and 3DFX cards and sit in the corner...
For shame!
Noting this is not a left hand-friendly world,
Ray

Ditto; left-handed people are the only ones in their right-minds of course ;-)

News Comments > Dungeon Siege III Delay
3. Re: Dungeon Siege III Delay Apr 7, 2011, 23:38 DrEvil

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 7, 2011, 22:53:
Yeah, Kotor 2, NWN 2, Alpha Protocol, Fallout New Vegas. Yeah they NEVER get enough time to polish games. I won't even mention the extra year Alpha Protocol got.

Just imagine how bad they would have been without the polish time.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Specs
28. Re: The Witcher 2 Specs Apr 6, 2011, 00:15 DrEvil

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 5, 2011, 13:04:
true, but one can still worry about it, no?

I simply maintain that a GUI designed properly and natively for mouse and keyboard can NEVER work on a x360 controller unless concessions are made in GUI and Gameplay. And this is why worry about it.

You're making an awfully big assumption there. Nevermind that there could be a GUI designed specifically for controller use and one for everyone else.

News Comments > RIFT Account Security Measures
17. Re: RIFT Account Security Measures Mar 19, 2011, 23:11 DrEvil

fatguy wrote on Mar 19, 2011, 22:33:
I can't see your lips.

Be that as it may, I have to agree with him. There's no way I'm going to run out and buy a copy of this game just so I can pay a subscription for a month, get bored, and quit.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Announced
4. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Announced Mar 1, 2011, 13:08 DrEvil

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 1, 2011, 12:41:
That ship looks like one from Homeworld. Pretty cool. Too bad I never got into this series because I found it a little too complicated for my liking, but i should make the effort and spend some time with the demo to find out how this game plays. Always tried the tutorial mission and then I just lost interest half way through that.

I hated the "three-d" (yes, I'm mocking it) aspect of it.

I'd much prefer a presentation / interface similar to Galactic Civilizations or Master of Orion.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever and Steamworks
38. Re: Duke Nukem Forever and Steamworks Feb 15, 2011, 18:54 DrEvil

Draugr wrote on Feb 15, 2011, 18:26:
Narf2029 wrote on Feb 15, 2011, 17:29:
Considering that BioWare didn't make a cent off of your used purchase, I don't think they give a shit about your thanks. Especially since they're part of EA now.

This. by buying second hand you've given them as much money as someone who stole the game.

By the logic, I assume you are implying libraries are a hive of villainy and scum.

News Comments > You Don't Know Jack About Customer Relations
14. Re: You Don't Know Jack About Customer Relations Feb 11, 2011, 20:02 DrEvil

nin wrote on Feb 11, 2011, 10:48:
Health Food Store Boy Doll!!!!

48 seconds in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQBAKpiNbws

Quick tip, did you know that you can set the time where youtube starts playing a video just by adding a few characters to that URL?

For example, just add '&t=48s' to the above URL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQBAKpiNbws&t=48s

Bam; there you go...

News Comments > More Witcher 2 Preorder Bonuses
6. Re: More Witcher 2 Preorder Bonuses Feb 9, 2011, 16:49 DrEvil

necrosis wrote on Feb 9, 2011, 13:24:
Creston wrote on Feb 9, 2011, 11:28:
See publishers? This is how you get people to gladly pay for your games.

As opposed to your normal, retarded, "You're a fucking pirate because you bought our game!" bullshit.

Yay Gog.

Creston
No they are still pulling the same bullshit I fucking hate and has become a staple with game lately. Vendor specific items.

Fuck GoG. Still keeping my preorder on Amazon.

Why are you upset that they're trying to compete with other retailers?

That makes no sense.

Nevermind that all of the items they're doing special bundling of aren't in the game itself!

News Comments > Magicka Patched
6. Re: Magicka Patched Feb 7, 2011, 22:52 DrEvil

Parias wrote on Feb 7, 2011, 21:33:
Not sure if I get this - practically the game's core driving gimmick is behind the ability to combine and mix and match spells, especially when it comes to co-op play. If you find this system "annoying" then you may as well just write off the whole game. Are you expecting the developers to just patch this functionality out or something?

I could live with the combo system if I could create my own presets (think macros) once I've figured out a particular combo.

Making a player hit the same keys again and again is dumb. It makes this game feel too much like Street Fighter rather than a PC game.

News Comments > King's Quest III Redux Announced
14. Re: King's Quest III Redux Announced Jan 25, 2011, 21:08 DrEvil

Dev wrote on Jan 25, 2011, 19:47:
jimnms wrote on Jan 25, 2011, 19:12:
There is already anothher King's Quest III remake here.

Exactly what I was going to say. Why not work on something that has NOT been done?

How about, this remake has been *eight* years in the making? So it actually started *before* the remake that is pointed out above?

Nevermind that the artists behind this one are arguably far more talented.

475 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo