Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anonymous User

Real Name Anonymous User   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DrEvil
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 31, 2000, 05:27
Total Comments 489 (Amateur)
User ID 5120

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patch Next Week
50. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Next Week May 20, 2011, 17:43 DrEvil

Sepharo wrote on May 19, 2011, 21:26:
Bumpy wrote on May 19, 2011, 21:25:
How on earth they missed invert mouse option is beyond me?!!!!

We've been over this before, it's because nobody in their right mind does that. All you crazies though...

QFT.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dragon Age 3 Help Wanted
25. Re: Dragon Age 3 Help Wanted May 20, 2011, 17:34 DrEvil

nin wrote on May 20, 2011, 11:40:
Do YOU like talking/drinking/kissing with your helmet on?

Do YOU like pressing a single button over and over, and watching Teh Awsom happen?

Do YOU like padding your own review scores on Metacritic?

Join Bioware TODAY, and all this and more (18 hour work days) can be yours!

This post is full of WIN. (Although in fairness, I don't really believe it. The folks at Bioware are fine people that I've dealt with personally in the past.)

News Comments > Hellgate's North American F2P Return
9. Re: Hellgate's North American F2P Return May 19, 2011, 13:13 DrEvil

nin wrote on May 19, 2011, 11:32:

Quick! Someone get me a reaction from a lifetime sub victim member...

*Hangs head in shame, then shakes fist angrily at Bill Roper, "never again!"*

News Comments > Premium WoW Cross-Realm Play
15. Re: Premium WoW Cross-Realm Play May 18, 2011, 12:24 DrEvil

RoTide wrote on May 18, 2011, 12:18:
If they don't reverse that decision, I will simply stop trusting them as a gaming company.

Dude, it's way past the point of trusting them.

The crap they pulled with SC2 should be all the proof anybody needs.

Their insistence that anybody that runs WoW must agree to allow their anti-cheat program to inspect their entire system, send the names of private windows/documents, etc. to them for analysis, and even scan memory of other processes is bullcrap.

No LAN play, no spawn installs, etc.

They've taken away so much that they themselves helped establish as the standard.

And they can't argue it was necessary because they 'were hurting due to piracy'; bullhockey.

I understand that they're a business and they exist to make money, but they don't have to be so damn greedy about it.

News Comments > Quote of the Day
11. Re: Quote of the  Day May 18, 2011, 12:10 DrEvil

Beamer wrote on May 18, 2011, 11:47:

No other industry I can think of spends so much time worrying about second-hand sales. If folks perceive value in your product at the price point you offer it, they will buy it. If they don't, start figuring out your value proposition, not looking for or blaming other factors.

And no other industry has second hand sales implications quite like video games:

1) Second hand sales are overwhelmingly done by GameSpy, a publically traded company making hundreds of millions of dollars on these sales.
2) Second hand sales tend to be a mere $5 less than initial sales, meaning that for new releases the savings is less than 10%. Upselling from second hand to new sale is therefore minimal.
3) Second hand sales are almost definitely not needed to sustain the economy. One cannot afford a new house without selling his current house. One cannot afford a new car without selling his old car. One most likely can afford a new game without selling his old game. Even if this is true one could simply wait six months for the game to fall into his price range naturally.
4) Second hand sales for video games involve zero detriment. A used video game and a new video game are identical. With physical items this isn't true, and many have incentive to buy new to get new. With video games there's no difference at all, aside from all the stupid stickers GameStop puts on it.

These make a massive difference.

Game publishers fail at basic economics because they believe they can centre their business around the concept of artificial scarcity and get away with it.

They try to justify it with weasel reasoning such as the bit above about the product not degrading over time.

So what if a book degrades over time? So does the frickin' game CD. Is the book still readable even if it's tattered? Yep. Is it any less enjoyable? Nope. Same for the media the game comes on.

Books have a useful life time of at least a few decades, whereas the game and the system it was written to run on might last ten years if extremely well cared for.

5. Re: Quote of the  Day May 18, 2011, 11:19 DrEvil

eRe4s3r wrote on May 18, 2011, 11:08:
Indeed, for developers second-hand sales are worse than piracy...

The fact that people can equate the two shows a fundamental lack of understanding of economics.

Book publishers deal with this, so should the game industry.

3. Re: Premium WoW Cross-Realm Play May 18, 2011, 10:45 DrEvil

nin wrote on May 18, 2011, 10:38:

And the monetization of WOW continues...

And this is how they make up for losing 600,000 subscribers. Milk the remaining.

2. Re: Premium WoW Cross-Realm Play May 18, 2011, 10:45 DrEvil

nin wrote on May 18, 2011, 10:38:

And the monetization of WOW continues...

And notice how it requires RealID. Sneaky.

2. Re: Quote of the  Day May 18, 2011, 10:38 DrEvil

The real problem is that they dare to compare "piracy" with second-hand sales.

No wonder the first doctrine of sale doesn't mean crap anymore.

News Comments > Gay Character Plans: ME3 Yes, DNF No
17. Re: Gay Character Plans: ME3 Yes, DNF No May 16, 2011, 14:05 DrEvil

Creston wrote on May 16, 2011, 13:09:
Duke would kick the shit out of anything gay. Political correctness be damned.

Creston

Where's your yuletide cheer? Don't worry, Duke will kill the alien that ruined your cheerios this morning.

News Comments > Fable III Preloads on Steam
2. Re: Fable III Preloads on Steam May 14, 2011, 01:40 DrEvil

Hey everyone, it's your last chance to give screwballs that want to do pre-order DLC crap the finger. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME.  

News Comments > The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer
18. Re: The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer May 14, 2011, 01:34 DrEvil

Jerykk wrote on May 14, 2011, 01:26:
If you've pre-ordered Witcher 2 from anywhere other than GOG, you need to cancel it and order from GOG. If the Witcher 2 sells well on GOG, it may help publishers see the light and be more lax on DRM in the future. It may also help GOG get more high-profile games, DRM-free. And of course, buying from GOG ensures that the developers see the most reward for their work.

The only thing that sucks is I wanted the Art Book (actually printed). No way to get it without ordering Collector's Edition :/

News Comments > BF3 Preorder DLC Details
9. Re: BF3 Preorder DLC Details May 10, 2011, 18:43 DrEvil

I'm still waiting for the day they announce pre-order DLC bonuses for pre-orders of DLC :-)  

News Comments > RAGE "Shrouded Clan" Trailer
41. Re: RAGE May 6, 2011, 12:28 DrEvil

Creston wrote on May 5, 2011, 12:03:
Dammit. That shitty weapon-switching technique is obviously also in the PC version. WTF, id? You practically INVENTED using 1-9 for weapons, why did you come up with this horseshit? Oh, right, because the Xbox doesn't have 1-9 keys, and you couldn't be arsed to make a PC UI.

1) you're assuming this is a PC video version

2) have you forgotten how the original half-life on the PC made you switch weapons?

News Comments > RAGE Mods Will Be All the Rage
19. Re: RAGE Mods Will Be All the Rage May 6, 2011, 12:19 DrEvil

Bumpy wrote on May 5, 2011, 22:44:
First priority mods will be to remove the consolitus.

Why would you remove the console? That's how you start the editor

But seriously, how can you even begin to accuse them of consolitis?

I mean, the protagonist obviously carries more than three weapons at a time

Oh wait, wrong game

News Comments > Open Source Beyond Protocol and Star Alliances
2. Re: Open Source Beyond Protocol and Star Alliances May 4, 2011, 13:49 DrEvil

A somewhat half-hearted gesture by the developer.

It's apparently Visual Basic .NET code, and it's released under the fairly restrictive "Non-Profit Open Software License version 3.0":

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/NOSL3.0

That's a problem because it's incompatible with a large number of licenses from other libraries and projects.

While I'm sure fans might appreciate the gesture, it's a poor choice of license and will keep it from being widely available on other platforms.

In particular, condition 17, a) of the license seems difficult at best for anyone to actually legally fulfil:

(a) Licensor represents and declares that it is a not-for-profit organization that derives no revenue whatsoever from the distribution of the Original Work or Derivative Works thereof, or from support or services relating thereto.

Yes, because every open source developer just happens to be part of a Non-Profit organisation. *rolls eyes*

News Comments > Why RAGE Has No Deathmatch
27. Re: Why RAGE Has No Deathmatch May 1, 2011, 16:30 DrEvil

Sepharo wrote on May 1, 2011, 15:25:
We've had some successes; we've had some failures.

Quake 3
Doom 3
------
Rage

So from possibly the best deathmatcher ever to one that was ignored almost immediately and now no offering at all. Can't really blame them. You can't make a good deathmatch if you don't believe you can make a good deathmatch.

That's of course only if you ignore Quake Live, which is a newer product and one they're still actively developing.

News Comments > Civilization V Patched
3. Re: Civilization V Patched Apr 29, 2011, 00:19 DrEvil

Parias wrote on Apr 28, 2011, 23:30:
And yet STILL no option to enable unit animations in multiplayer? I'll continue to be disappointed until they fix that - we have a LAN party waiting on exactly this update.

Unfortunately, my understanding is that's a much bigger problem than simply animating. They apparently didn't build support for it into the networking protocol at all.

News Comments > Portal 2 User Review Backlash
94. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 15:58 DrEvil

Rockn-Roll wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 15:54:
It very very much is a console port

You keep using that word, but I do not think it means what you think it means.

Here's an accepted definition of console port for reference:

"Console Port" is a term specifically used to describe a game that was originally made for a console (such as PS3 or Xbox 360) before an identical version is created which can be played on a personal computer. This term has been widely used by the gaming community, primarily in a negative way due to the higher levels of performance that computers had during that generation of gaming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porting

Portal 2 was first developed, written, and designed on a PC. If it was "ported" to anything, it was ported to a console.

Now you might be able to successfully argue that its user interface and gameplay style was designed to work for multiple platforms, but that *does NOT* make it a console port.

News Comments > Portal 2 User Review Backlash
90. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 15:43 DrEvil

Verno wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 15:14:
Actually, I think the load times are a bit much and I have a next generation 10,000 RPM high-end SATA drive, so stuff it

You should probably examine your setup, I have it running on a 7200RPM Caviar Black and most levels load in under ten seconds. My SSD doesn't load it much faster than that either, usually a second or two. If it's taking much more than that then it's most likely related to a user-config specific issue. I agree though his reply was a bit silly in the context.

No, my config's fine. I'm just impatient and think 7-10 seconds is too long ;-)

I think part of it is a matter of perception -- the original created the perception that load times weren't that bad because it presented the loading differently.

489 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo