Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anonymous User

Real Name Anonymous User   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DrEvil
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 31, 2000, 05:27
Total Comments 485 (Amateur)
User ID 5120

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > 10 Million Minecrafters
12. Re: 10 Million Minecrafters Jul 2, 2011, 14:22 DrEvil

Mcboinkens wrote on Jul 2, 2011, 14:06:
Pretty sure it's the first massive world cooperative construction game. I can't think of any others, really.

No, CUBE had the same thing years before:

http://cubeengine.com/cube.php4

"Allows in-engine editing of geometry in full 3D (you fly around the map, point / drag stuff to select it / modify it), which can even be done simultaneously with others in multiplayer (a first!)."

Note CUBE was released in 2001:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cube_(video_game)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > 10 Million Minecrafters
9. Re: 10 Million Minecrafters Jul 2, 2011, 13:37 DrEvil

Zadig wrote on Jul 2, 2011, 07:15:
For a game I have no interest in playing, I'm always happy to hear how incredibly well it is doing.

Partially because unique innovative games should be celebrated even if they aren't your cup of tea, but mainly due to the conniptions the success causes to Ubisoft/EA/Bioware as it destroys their latest 'aaa' shovelware.

Minecraft really isn't unique or innovative. By his own admission it's his version of an existing game. Games like 'Cube' and others allowed you to build your own world in realtime, etc.

I think Notch just had the right timing, the right graphics style during period where retro-games are cool again, and luck.

You could argue that it's the most successful implementation of someone else's concept though.

(And I say this as someone who bought minecraft btw.)

News Comments > Cross-Platform Steam Chat
17. Re: Cross-Platform Steam Chat Jun 28, 2011, 18:46 DrEvil

Krovven wrote on Jun 28, 2011, 17:38:
yuastnav wrote on Jun 28, 2011, 16:38:
Yeah, it's not like Ryan "icculus" Gordon is a famous and well-known coder who made Linux/OSX ports of some major games.

Famous in the Linux community...guess how much that means to me, or to most people? Most of the world has no clue, nor cares who he is.

No, Ryan is pretty dang well known in developer circles too. iD, Epic, Valve, and others all know who he is.

And yes, it's high risk, so you better be certain you can trust the developer.

Ryan is trustworthy, this person, no idea.

News Comments > Tomasz Gop Leaves CD Projekt RED, Interview
8. Re: Tomasz Gop Leaves CD Projekt RED, Interview Jun 20, 2011, 23:40 DrEvil

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 20, 2011, 23:19:
Theres a difference between talking about and actually doing things

And that post was 11 ! days ago ^^

Oh my *insert deity or deities here*! 11 days! Can you frackin' believe it. I mean, Rome was built in less time right? Right????

But seriously, there are already two official witcher 2 forums, the steam one and the gog.com one. That should be enough.

Don't be so impatient.

News Comments > Tomasz Gop Leaves CD Projekt RED, Interview
6. Re: Tomasz Gop Leaves CD Projekt RED, Interview Jun 20, 2011, 23:17 DrEvil

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 20, 2011, 21:58:
They are obviously intentionally incompetent or maybe they just don't care. Forums still down, registrations still down, the Launcher completely broken now (wow?)

Somehow i expected more

They talk about the forum issue here:

http://en.thewitcher.com/community/entry/55/

So they aren't ignoring it.

News Comments > West, Zampella Accuse Activision of Fraud
22. Re: West, Zampella Accuse Activision of Fraud Jun 17, 2011, 23:30 DrEvil

ibm wrote on Apr 3, 2011, 05:53:
Tom wrote on Apr 2, 2011, 12:59:
When shady CEO guy tells you "don't worry about it, just sign it", and you sign it, you're gonna get screwed. How dumb are these guys?

They were probably swimming in a pool of money at the time and surrounded by coke and ho's!

Obligatory:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2000/10/23/

News Comments > Wizardry Online Announced
25. Re: Wizardry Online Announced Jun 13, 2011, 18:57 DrEvil

LittleMe wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 17:59:
Zawath wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 17:15:
Permadeath can work just fine if you play on roleplay servers. There were many persistent world servers (Haze for example) for Neverwinter Nights that used permadeath and it really made the whole experience so much better because all your actions always had severe consequences.

I agree. Permadeth can add to the experience. It can add a healthy amount of tension if done right. It might need an option for 'everlasting' or 3 lives, or 1 life, such as what TomeNET does.

The more fair compromise I think is what some older games used to do, "You can't save right now." As long as it's used fairly (e.g. a short, but difficult 5-10 minute section) that's reasonable. Some games of course abused this and placed you in a section that was a few hours long where you couldn't save (gah!!!).

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 13, 2011, 14:18 DrEvil

Jim wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 13:57:
I always LOL at how much people piss and moan when one of these major web sites does a redesign. I have never used Netflix so I don't have a comparison, but whenever Twitter or Youtube has done it in the past, it has generally resulted in a slightly improved user experience, but people complain. When Facebook moves 1 pixel it makes front page on CNN and people complain about it for weeks.

The complaints are legitimate here. This isn't just change -- they actually *removed* functionality from the website.

Examples?

Previously, you could sort movies by year, user ratings, title, etc. Now you're forced to scroll through hundreds of movies looking for the one you want because you can't sort the list anymore.

Another example?

Previously, there were actually scrollbars for movie titles. Now you have to hover your mouse over the edges (which give no indication they can even be scrolled) and wait while it scrolls, but don't move your mouse, because it will stop scrolling!

So seriously, this isn't "we moved things 10 pixels one way or another" this is "we screwed our users over and we don't want to admit it".

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jun 12, 2011, 15:36 DrEvil

The "Apple Caves In" story is totally misleading. Apple hasn't banned DUI Checkpoint Apps. What they have banned is DUI Apps that supply information other than that provided to the public by law enforcement or ones that clearly exist only to encourage drunk driving (that's subjective of course, but all of the DUI Apps on the app store are still there as of this moment). However, law enforcement agencies must provide a list of all of their DUI checkpoints to the public.

My guess is that this is to stop apps that rely on user-submitted or other sources of information for DUI checkpoints.

News Comments > id Happy to be Done with Engine Licensing
37. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 9, 2011, 16:11 DrEvil

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 21:24:
I really need to dig up all the interviews about how they were gung-ho about supporting dev's using their engines.

There's a big difference between Carmack being enthused about it and the business owners at id being enthused about it.

Unless it was the same person saying those things, I don't think it's fair to view it as double-speak.

News Comments > Dungeon Siege III Demo
21. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 7, 2011, 12:23 DrEvil

Darks wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 11:58:
you about as idiotic as they come, so youíre telling me itís ok to turn your pc into a console just so you can play split screen games? Seriously take a hammer and destroy your pc, you would do it more justice then basterdizing it. If you live for nothing more then split screen they you bought the wrong hardware.

Darks, this may be news to you, but people have been plugging PCs into televisions for the last few decades. Plugging a PC into a TV does not turn it into a console. In fact, many early computers required a TV for a display!

Not only that, split screen gaming is something I remember doing on my Apple //C+!

So please, go back under the troll bridge now.

News Comments > Dungeon Siege III Demo
4. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 7, 2011, 10:34 DrEvil

Esoteric wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 10:18:
Wasn't impressed. Suffers from severe consolitis.

You should really get that checked out by a doctor.

In the meantime though, how was the game?

News Comments > EA's Online Service
24. Re: EA's Online Service Jun 3, 2011, 17:38 DrEvil

Techie714 © wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 16:45:
BTW: Looks like GOG is now offering EA titles!

www.gog.com
[url=http://www.gog.com/en/news/gog_com_s_catalog_gets_huge_with_addition_of_classic_ea_titles[/url]

Yes, without the DRM, which makes them infinitely better than any version you could get from EA today.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow
33. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 16:15 DrEvil

Jerykk wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 14:46:
Point is, computer software/games were using them long before "consoles" were.

I think you're missing the point. Yes, a lot of really old PC games used radial menus. However, later games did not. Why? Because the developers

Uh, wrong. The Sims, Neverwinter Nights and other recent games all used radial / pie menus. Besides, look at the usability studies linked in the Wikipedia article. Clearly they don't jive with what you're saying.

realized that a radial menu is not the most efficient way to do things with a mouse and keyboard. That's why hotbars were invented and became a staple of every PC RPG. Even the PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution has a hotbar. Witcher 2 would have greatly benefit from a hotbar as well but hotbars don't work well with gamepads, so they went with a radial menu instead.

Hotbar interfaces have lead to the monstrosity that is WoW, where you end up with 100 different buttons on screen at the same time. That does not seem like an improvement to me (and I say that as a past WoW player).

Although I'd agree that they can be used successfully in the right scenario.

I'd also say you're correct that you can use Pie Menus in the wrong place, and perhaps they shouldn't have used them here, but to attempt to claim the game is "consolized" simply because it uses Pie Menus is ridiculous.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Demo
47. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 15:59 DrEvil

Overon wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 15:55:
I'm surprised that no one has brought this up in this thread yet:

Is this another Daikatana?

I don't think there can ever be another Daikatana. *looks at original box on shelf*. Yes, definitely not. And as bad as Daikatana was, there were worse games *looks at you, Darkened Skye*.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkened_Skye

She does not use firearms, but can perform magic using Skittles candies, as well as use her staff as a melee weapon, though it also becomes an energy weapon when used in conjunction with the Skittles.

31. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 14:38 DrEvil

descender wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 14:05:
For the record, radial menus were only implemented in "The Sims" and other games after it was released on console.

Actually, for the record, the first documented use was on a custom computer system in 1969:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie_menu

Point is, computer software/games were using them long before "consoles" were.

27. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 13:37 DrEvil

Tom wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 13:28:
Wow, you're really grasping at straws here now. Why do you feel the need to defend this so much?

I could say the same for you.

I never used the word "consolized". I prefer to put it as I did: "elements of the game's design have been compromised in order to fit a console environment". I really feel that's more fact than opinion in this case.

Except, so far, everything you've used as "proof" hasn't been very "proofworthy".

For every UI, you can design it to work best with keyboard+mouse, or a controller, or make some compromises to have fair support for both. Or you can make separate UI's altogether that are designed specifically for each scenario - that's the best option, but also the most difficult and expensive. A few top notch console ports have taken that route but it's rare. The Witcher 2 has gone the compromise route and it seems most people have recognized that. It's not the end of the world. It's the expected outcome and we can live with it.

The same thing applies to running on a TV that you sit far away from vs. a computer monitor that you sit close to.

You can't solve every UI problem with a single solution that makes the most of every environment's unique characteristics. For most UI problems, a single solution will inevitably involve compromise.

I don't disagree with the single solution aspect, but it's also clear they don't have a single solution. They have a user interface that it seems likely will share some common elements between platforms, but the PC version obviously will have some major differences.

25. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 13:12 DrEvil

Tom wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 11:06:
DrEvil wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 10:54:
The game was developed on the PC for the PC. It. Is. Not. Consolized. *smacks descender*.

Console games are developed on the PC as well. Do you think they're developed on the consoles? Haha. As for whether elements of the game's design have been compromised in order to fit a console environment, the answer is absolutely yes. For example, the inventory system is a pain to navigate because it's designed to work with a controller. Or do you have some alternate explanation for why it sucks?

You think it sucks, you're entitled to that opinion. What you're not entitled to do is claim a game is "consolized" merely because developers decided to create a single interface that works for them no matter what platform they're targeting.

The game may have been released on the PC first, but make no mistake. It is definitely coming to consoles and was developed with that in mind. As I pointed out in a previous thread, there's even an x360 directory installed along with the game on the PC.

That doesn't make it a "consolized game".

All of the traits you've named as "proof" that's it consolized (except for picking a common interface design) are easily disproved by showing their existence in older PC games.

Nevermind that joysticks and gamepads are sold in the store for PC games and have been for decades.

Nevermind that the first generation of many PC games was often designed to be played with a joystick/gamepad and many of them thought of the keyboard as an afterthought.

24. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 13:07 DrEvil

Bumpy wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 11:06:
I disagree, it is consolized because it has tons of typical console traits. The whole game is designed with gamepad usage first, kb/mouse 2nd; huge no no on PC. Oh hell, I'll just quote Jerykk....

Those aren't console traits.

The Quick Time Events, radial menus, circular button prompts, scrolling text list inventory, paraphrased dialogue options without any numerical bindings and soft lock targeting system were all clearly designed with console ports in mind.

1) "Quick Time events" were frequently seen on the PC in the past. Hit a series of buttons based on an arbitrary timing sequence to do a battle? Oh yeah, that's so console unique. Hell, go back to Dragon's Lair in the arcade if you want the game that made it popular!

2) Radial menus were seen in many older PC games such as The Sims. They were historically called "Pie Menus". They are not a console trait.

3) Circular button prompts are a stylistic choice.

4) Scrolling text list inventory also seen in many older PC games (in the original Nintendo days!)

5) Paraphrased dialogue options without number bindings. Clearly you haven't played enough PC adventure games if you think that's unique to consoles.

6) Soft-lock targeting system? See original half-life and other games with "target assist". Go back farther and look at flight simulators like Terminal Velocity, others. Look at MMORPGs on the PC.

And the 16:10 issue which they didn't give a damn to even look at for TW2. It's still a good game but it is consolized.

16:9 and 16:10 ratios are often ignored by developers. Whoopee doo.

If all of the above is your "proof" that it's "consolized", you're wrong.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Demo
16. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Jun 3, 2011, 12:23 DrEvil

Drezden wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 12:21:
Guess this game is really just for the hardcore Duke3D fans. I love it, I don't see where the humor feels any more forced than the original.

If you don't truely like Duke, don't bother, thats all I can say really.

I haven't played the demo yet, but I think some people have "rose-coloured" glasses when it comes to Duke3D. If you play back through it today, I think most people would feel like the humour often felt "forced".

As such, I think it's a bit gonzo to complain about it from that aspect.

485 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo