Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anonymous User

Real Name Anonymous User   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DrEvil
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 31, 2000, 05:27
Total Comments 490 (Amateur)
User ID 5120

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Broken Age Early Access Plans Change
2. Re: Broken Age Early Access Plans Change Jan 14, 2014, 14:21 DrEvil

Creston wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 13:18:
So it gets released and you still get the second part for free, it's just not called "Early Access" anymore.

Not sure why it makes a difference, though I guess it may help convince people who want nothing to do with Early Access games.

Not quite; "Early Access" implies the game is still in Alpha/Beta and is not yet finished code, gameplay, and content-wise. Double Fine is saying here that they believe the first part of the game is *finished* in all apsects, and is not "alpha/beta".

I know that seems like a fine distinction, but it's really not.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Banished Next Month
7. Re: Banished Next Month Jan 11, 2014, 01:01 DrEvil

PHJF wrote on Jan 10, 2014, 22:27:
I thought it would be interesting, like with fantasy theme or something (why the fuck is it called Banished?)

This looks boring as fucking hell, like a halfassed Anno title.

Anno without ubiplay drm crap or tages or whatever DRM it has? Sign me up!

News Comments > New NVIDIA Mobile SOC Runs Unreal Engine 4
9. Re: New NVIDIA Mobile SOC Runs Unreal Engine 4 Jan 6, 2014, 14:31 DrEvil

Tim Collins wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 12:15:
How did Nvidia start developing and forget about LTE....

LTE has been out for 2 years.

This is pointless till then.

Its not linke u can use a 4g dongle ....baffles why they didnt see this coming.

You can get LTE as part of a Tegra K1 setup thanks to an external chip:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/05/nvidia-tegra-5/

News Comments > New NVIDIA Mobile SOC Runs Unreal Engine 4
8. Re: New NVIDIA Mobile SOC Runs Unreal Engine 4 Jan 6, 2014, 14:28 DrEvil

Quboid wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 12:48:
I'm pretty sure every mobile chip in the last 10 years has blurred the line between desktop and mobile performance and is doing so 3 or 4 years sooner than someone who stands to gain from making it look good expected.

Uh, no, no they haven't. The big difference here is that nVidia's new Tegra supports the full OpenGL 4.4/DX11 API. No other ARM-based mobile SoC design does that.

This means other than performance targets and input considerations, developers can bring large existing code bases to the target device with little change. That's a huge win.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
8. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jan 4, 2014, 23:47 DrEvil

Cutter wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 14:25:
That ain't gonna' make a difference. I'd love one of these, but for a grand? LOL!

I'm actually going to have to get a tablet/kb in the next couple of months for work so is there anything good - Android or Windows - in the $500 or less category?

Actually, for ~$1K, they're a phenomenal portable drawing tablet. The next closest thing are Windows 8 tablets from Wacom which are over twice the price or the MacBook-based ModbookPro.

But as a general computing device, you'd have to really value the form factor to make it worth it.

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Dec 31, 2013, 22:06 DrEvil

mag wrote on Dec 31, 2013, 18:31:
jacobvandy wrote on Dec 31, 2013, 17:27:
Yeah, I don't know if that's a limitation of their current bundle system (like all they have is that choose-your-own thing) or if it's a deliberate strategy. You get zero discount if you take just one little game out of one of those packages.

You do get a discount, though, if you already own one of the games in the packages. That is way-cool over how Steam handles it.

Actually, it's not a "Steam" thing per se; it's really a publisher thing.

I've been offered upgrades if I already own the original game on steam for additional content, etc. for one or two games.

But you're right that they don't generally offer it.

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale Dec 31, 2013, 22:05 DrEvil

jdreyer wrote on Dec 31, 2013, 16:29:
Interesting that Planetary Annihilation is on sale, since the whole point of keeping the price high was to not piss off the KS backers. Maybe they feel okay with it since it's been almost a year and a half?

The sale price is roughly the same as the $40 they offered for beta access during the kickstarter, so I don't think too many people will be upset.

But there is a fine line here; this is primarily a multiplayer game, which means to keep people interested and playing they need to keep expanding their player base.

They also need to keep expanding their player base to improve testing and get more feedback to improve the game.

But they can't do so if it means undercutting their founding fan base.

I don't envy them.

News Comments > YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns
14. Re: YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns Dec 17, 2013, 23:42 DrEvil

Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 23:22:
If they had permission then there wouldn't be any claims, would there? That means the content owners would be cutting off an extra revenue source. I think it's you who needs to brush up the facts, champ.

Uh, you're usually not wrong cutter. But in this case, you're quite wrong.

In multiple instances, the original creator of a game has had claims made against videos they posted of their own game!

It's just as the others said; these are automated takedown systems. So even when people have explicit permission from the content creator (e.g. Vlambeer, Devolver digital, etc.) they're still getting claims against the video.

What you're missing out on is these claims are not being filed by the publishers or developers in most cases, instead, they're being filed by *distributors* who licensed the rights to games. But the catch is that many of these distributors do not have exclusive rights, so they shouldn't even be doing this in the first place!

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 17, 2013, 00:23 DrEvil

Creston wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 00:18:
Btw, this is a full distro, right? I mean, you can run the linux versions of whatever software on it, you can browse the web, check email, do all that shit with it, right?

Yes, although most of those components aren't included by default. If you want to install them, you have to add the Debian 7.1 repositories to the package management source.list file.

Valve has said they will be expanding the packages (software) provided as time goes on. I suspect they'll have enough for a complete development environment (for obvious reasons) soon.

I've got it installed on an extra hard drive in my old Core 2 DUO E8400 system. (In fact, I'm posting this response right now using SteamOS using Google Chrome Beta.)

News Comments > SteamOS Beta Released
8. Re: SteamOS Beta Released Dec 14, 2013, 01:58 DrEvil

SirKnight wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 21:57:
Looks like it's finally time to partition my Xubuntu drive in half (1TB) to make room for SteamOS.

You can't do that; the installer (regardless of whether you pick expert mode) WILL ERASE YOUR ENTIRE HARD DRIVE.

News Comments > Double Fine announces Hack 'N' Slash
4. Re: Double Fine announces Hack 'N' Slash Dec 11, 2013, 00:51 DrEvil

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 10, 2013, 23:23:
So is the Kickstarter money being used to develop this game?

No; stop trolling and read the fine press release:

The game was funded by Indie Fund, Humble Bundle, Hemisphere Games, make all, AppAbove Games, Adam Saltsman, The Behemoth, Morgan Webb, and Rob Reid as part of a two-game deal that also includes Spacebase DF-9, which released in Early Access Alpha and recouped its investment within two weeks.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
84. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2013, 18:00 DrEvil

I've been reading posts you've made about Hudson for years. I know he meant a lot to you; my condolences.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - SimCity Cities of Tomorrow
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity Cities of Tomorrow Nov 12, 2013, 21:54 DrEvil

The Cities of Tomorrow are oddly no bigger than the Cities of Yesterday.

Don't buy this until it hits the bargain bin.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Nov 11, 2013, 14:48 DrEvil

nin wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 14:06:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 13:55:
Report: SteamStatic.com Registered By Valve…

Steam Radio?

Static IP popped into my head...like if they offered server rental for whatever latest FPS. I have nothing to back that up, however.

Or a dynamic DNS service for game servers or for the streaming clients.

News Comments > 100 More Steam Greenlights
8. Re: 100 More Steam Greenlights Oct 30, 2013, 00:23 DrEvil

Cutter wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 19:46:
Frijoles wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 18:02:
Starting to agree. I liked all the new games at first, but Steam is becoming a bit of a minefield. I've voted on about 150 or so games in the Greenlight section. There's so.. much.. shit. Makes me think I should throw some garbage out and see if I can make a quick buck.

It worked or Notch so it can work for anyone if you're lucky.

But tell us how you really feel.

But more seriously, be a bit more objective. We get that you don't like Minecraft, but I think even you would admit it's twice the game that most of the drek on this list it.

News Comments > The Witcher Sells 6M Units
19. Re: The Witcher Sells 6M Units Oct 25, 2013, 22:53 DrEvil

jdreyer wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 14:51:
Even if a lot of those copies were at $5 or $10, that's still a lot of cash. Good for them, they deserve it.

Also, Witcher 3 looks amazing.

There's a hidden message in the trailer that flys by quickly at 1m41s; I transcribed it (didn't take more than a few moments):

Dear Gamers,

Once again, we're here with a sneaky hidden message! We couldn't resist doing something crazy on such a big occasion! :-) We're uber-excited to be a part of this groundbreaking moment in gaming history!

The CD Projekt RED rep you saw on stage was both anxious and excited - after you see this message, let him know that he was great by tweeting us @witchergame and using the #e3witcher hashtag

Today, you got your first glimpse of gameplay footage from TW3. Though no developer was harmed during the making of this video, we did work ourselves to the bone and put a LOT of heart into making all this happen. There's still a long road ahead and your feedback, comments and love are needed to fuel our passion so that we can make The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt a really great game. Head on over to our forums, hell, send us letters if you want to - just be with us! We need you

The Debut Gameplay Trailer contains some hints about new game mechanics we'll be introducing in The Witcher 3. Manage to spot them? Go to the forums, there's probably many a discussion about them by now

By the way, notice the 4 CGI takes in the trailer? Yeah, they're part of something bigger. Curious? Try here: www.thewitcher.com/KillingMonsters

We released another video today: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - The Beginning, in which team members introduce you to the game, share a lot of their passion and give insight on some of the things that inspire us. Some breathtaking vistas and vivid landscapes in there - try to guess where we shot it.

Thank you for your support so far! Play video games, they're awesome!

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Dev Team

CD Projekt RED

P.S.: Hell yeah!

News Comments > SimCity Offline Mode a "Possibility"
14. Re: SimCity Offline Mode a Oct 4, 2013, 20:29 DrEvil

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 17:26:
Putting in an offline mode would be a step in the right direction, but this game has so many serious issues it has a long road to qualifying for a purchase from me.

It's amazing how bad these parts of it are:

* pitiful city size limits
* terrible "snap-to-grid" results in extremely hard to place
building addons and nothing but frustration in attempting to
layout things like city parks, etc.
* no terraforming; devs claims landscape is "part of puzzle", but
even real-life cities can alter terrain more than the game allows
for

News Comments > Wasteland Kings Renamed Nuclear Throne
12. Re: Wasteland Kings Renamed Nuclear Throne Sep 30, 2013, 18:07 DrEvil

Cutter wrote on Sep 30, 2013, 15:21:
Ugh, it's some cutsey little 16 bit arcade game. Nevermind.

Ugh, it's some snarky little Internet troll that hasn't even taken the time to understand someone's work.

Go download the prototype from here:

http://vlambeer.com/3

...before passing judgement.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Sep 8, 2013, 17:22 DrEvil

If all they offered was their dosbox-based games for now, that would be an acceptable start, and there's pretty much no reasonable excuse for not offering those.

I completely agree that it's difficult for almost all the other games they offer though.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
14. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 12, 2013, 17:20 DrEvil

avianflu wrote on Aug 12, 2013, 09:30:
V, like you say -- the controller was possibly the dumbest console idea in several years. Dumber than kinect even

I strongly disagree. My brother loves the fact that his wife and kids can be downstairs watching TV while he's upstairs playing a game on the Wii U's tabletesque controller.

Likewise, when several of us were over for a party and played the haunted mansion game, it was actually a lot of fun to have it so that no one else could see what the person controlling the ghost was doing.

I think the real problem with the controller isn't the controller, but the lack of games that really leverage its strengths.

Oh, and by the way, I don't own a Wii U, but that's because I'm a PC gamer :-)

490 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo