Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anonymous User

Real Name Anonymous User   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DrEvil
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 31, 2000, 05:27
Total Comments 489 (Amateur)
User ID 5120

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Forum Downtime Follow-up; Steam Also Breached
21. Re: Steam Forum Downtime Follow-up; Steam Also Breached Nov 10, 2011, 18:36 DrEvil

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 10, 2011, 17:44:
My Steam account has a unique passoword and Steamguard active, so changing it would likely be overkill. Shame it took them 4 days to say anything though.

Giving details before they could confirm what happened would have been irresponsible.

Four days to properly assess the situation, ensure all systems were secure again, and to determine exactly what caused the damage does not seem unreasonable.

These are problems that you can't just throw a huge amount of people at to solve; it takes time.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Humble Voxatron Debut
5. Re: The Humble Voxatron Debut Nov 1, 2011, 00:47 DrEvil

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 21:54:
I love the Humble Bundles in general(I have bought all of them so far), but unfortunately this game is pure eye-cancer to me. I had to stop watching the trailer, it's that painful.

I blame Minecraft for this tomfoolery with retro 8-bit graphics!

Given that it's a voxel-based arcade-style game, it's entirely appropriate. Realistic graphics wouldn't look right for this type of game.

News Comments > Orcs Must Die! DLC Next Week
21. Re: Orcs Must Die! DLC Next Week Oct 21, 2011, 16:56 DrEvil

Bhruic wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 15:53:
Why? Isn't this the equivalent of preorder swords or something?

You don't generally pay extra for a pre-order, so I wouldn't consider this equivalent. And while, yes, the "pay for items" concept seems to be rather common, I still consider it a mark against any developer that uses it - especially this close to release. It just screams "here's some cool stuff we left out of the game so we could charge you extra for it".

Or, in some cases, screams "gamers blazed through our content so fast they're demanding more content ASAP!".

I admit there are very few cases where I'm willing to give a developer that though.

It's really a lose-lose situation for developers though. If you continue to deliver new, paid content for your game, it keeps your game commercially alive and attracts new customers. But it can alienate your existing customer base.

If you give away all updates for free, you start eating into a game's initial profits in hopes of attracting enough new customers to make up for it and still turn a profit.

News Comments > Toki Tori 2 Announced
1. Re: Tori Tori 2 Announced Oct 19, 2011, 15:31 DrEvil

Err, blue "Tori Tori 2"? I think you meant "Toki Tori 2" :-)  

News Comments > RAGE Patched
28. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 9, 2011, 17:08 DrEvil

saluk wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 14:58:
I like how they paint the lack of graphics options as not exposing them so that it wouldn't enable features on graphics cards which would not work, when that's exactly what the automatic system was doing. Then you see the patch notes where they disable the features that were breaking it. If they had had an option "use UBOs" in the configuration menu, people could have just fixed the issues themselves.

They're likely "Uniform Buffer Objects". And all indications are that it is AMD's fault they're not working. But hey, that's ok, we past/present AMD users are used to this junk.

News Comments > RAGE Patched
27. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 9, 2011, 17:06 DrEvil

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 16:44:
No, that'd rob of you the awesome (more or less achievable on AMD cards) experience to see one of the shortest, laziest non-endings ever to grace a shooter.

You've obviously never played Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Seriously (spoilers):

So you fight all the way to the end and fight the Nazi Ubsersoldat -- a resurrected being of pure evil or some such. At the end, he goes "splut" and that's it. Not very difficult, and the game pretty much just ends.

News Comments > More id RAGE Midnight Madness
39. Re: More id RAGE Midnight Madness Oct 4, 2011, 01:27 DrEvil

The vehicle controls are fantastic so far; graphics are awe-inspiringly-jaw-droppingly good looking. Performance (frame-rate) is awesome.

Only complaint so far is I'm seeing more texture pop-in than I'd expect given that I have a 1GB video card and 8GB of system memory no matter what video resolution I play at :-/ (Yes, I know my GTX 280 isn't exactly high end anymore :o)

Haven't figured out how to activate the developer console yet.

Otherwise, excited to play more tomorrow. Must sleep now.

News Comments > John Carmack at Mesquite Midnight RAGE Release
53. Re: John Carmack at Mesquite Midnight RAGE Release Oct 2, 2011, 00:28 DrEvil

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 1, 2011, 17:32:
Wow...that is a kick to the balls of PC gamers and the people that made him all of this previous money and fame....Gamestop? Really? A console store? Why not promote a local PC game store or at least a big box store that sells PC games.....

There will be a very large % of the people there that don't even know who he is!!!!! I am sure it will even take a while for him to get noticed!!!

For those of us that remember, GameStop used to be a place to buy PC games, and some of the locations still do.

Not that I'd be caught dead buying one from them these days...

News Comments > Diablo III DRM Problems
21. Re: I prefer most of the changes... Sep 22, 2011, 17:53 DrEvil

JohnBirshire wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 17:46:
The people complaining about a constant internet connection to play Diablo 3 must not have played Diablo 2 online, the game suffered from rampart cheating, hacks, and exploits. If requiring a constant internet connection prevents these problems from plaguing Diablo 3, then sign me up!

That's a false dichotomy. Blizzard could have chosen to require an online account, etc. for multi-player and kept single-player offline.

And yes, many of us didn't want to and still don't want to play Diablo online.

Absolutely 0 of the features they said required Diablo III to be online all the time are interesting to me. I'd rather have a single-player, off-line game.

News Comments > Quoteworthy
18. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 21, 2011, 14:21 DrEvil

Beamer wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 09:43:
When you go 8 years without releasing a game or licensing your engine your Ferrari supply dwindles. Doesn't really effect Todd or Carmack, as they get cuts from licensing, but sure will hurt the pockets of everyone else.

Consider they're no longer doing engine licensing, I'm sure things are different now.

News Comments > Diablo III Closed Beta Begins
5. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 20, 2011, 18:25 DrEvil

Prez wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 18:18:
So sad that they are using always-on DRM (And yes, that IS what it is, regardless of how they spin it...). My disappointment grows with the excitement before release. I so wanted this game.

Totally agreed. Blizzard has lost their way.

From being one of the most generous (supporting multiplayer spawn installs) to the greediest.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 15, 2011, 12:44 DrEvil

PropheT wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 11:33:
Verno wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 11:10:
Wishful thinking Sony, it's been tried unsuccessfully in several industries already.

The supreme court ruled in April that it was legal for companies to include provisions to their terms of service that served for consumers to waive their class action lawsuit rights.

Can read about it here.

Yes, but SCOTUS limited that to class action lawsuits right? I don't see how they could block normal lawsuits as well.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 15, 2011, 12:41 DrEvil

Netflix completely trashed their web interface, ignored the tens of thousands of complaints about it, and then raised their dvd/streaming combo price by 60%. Bah! I cancelled my DVD service as soon as I got a chance, before they were getting some extra money from me every month, now they're getting less. Idiots.  

News Comments > Skyrim Trailer Triple-Feature
18. Re: Skyrim Trailer Triple-Feature Sep 12, 2011, 17:53 DrEvil

Drezden wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 17:19:
I must have missed this interview, any link to it? Does he explain why it wouldn't be good for an open world game? Because from the looks of Rage I don't understand how it could be, it has large open spaces that look great.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=carmack+skyrim

Okay, okay, I'll be nice:

http://bit.ly/o7Kml8

News Comments > Skyrim Trailer Triple-Feature
5. Re: Skyrim Trailer Triple-Feature Sep 12, 2011, 16:51 DrEvil

Drezden wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 16:41:
Personally I am more curious why after acquiring id, they didn't work along side them to push this out on the id Tech5 engine along with Rage? I mean that engine was specifically designed to make large outdoor spaces and indoor spaces on the same map look phenominal... of course then Skyrim would be 3 discs on the 360 too I guess... Not that I care how many discs it ends up on a console.

Carmack specifically addressed this in one of his interviews, basically stating that Tech5 wasn't appropriate for a game like SkyRim.

I'm sure he's given tips to their engine developers though.

News Comments > On Hard Reset DRM
8. Re: On Hard Reset DRM Sep 7, 2011, 18:34 DrEvil

spindoctor wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 18:24:
What is this guy talking about? It's a Steamworks game. How does that equate to no DRM?

From the perspective of the developers themselves are not adding any of their own DRM or any that they've licensed...

But yes, it isn't technically correct.

However, in this age of "you must be online all the time", I'll live with it as the least of evils.

After all, let's not kid ourselves, even in the "golden age" of PC gaming, we had things like code wheels, and enter the 4th word of the first sentence on page 12 :-)

This comment was edited on Sep 7, 2011, 18:40.

News Comments > Steve Jobs Resigns
9. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 24, 2011, 20:14 DrEvil

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 20:04:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 20:03:
Godspeed, Steve. You're a better man than your critics give you credit for.

^D^

Tell that to Google who just bought Motorola Mobility for $12.5B, largely to help fend off patent trolling by Apple.

Apple does not patent troll. Patent trolling is always associated with someone that doesn't actually produce product or innovate.

You may think they haven't innovated, but they at least do actually produce product, therefore you can be angry at them for actually trying to use their patents, but calling them a troll is inaccurate at best.

Apple both produces products and innovates in the market space.

They do not even remotely fit the definition of troll.

They have every right to be angry with competitors that have copied design, form, and function of their products instead of trying to do something new.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched
9. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Aug 23, 2011, 23:35 DrEvil

Talisorn wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 23:33:
elefunk wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 22:43:
This bug is such a weird bug that I can't help but blame only the idiot customers who have this specific driver configuration. Old drivers from old video cards at the same time as a new video card?

Yeah. Those idiot who can't afford the latest and greatest hardware! Damn them to hell!

All of the hardware that meets their minimum requirements has fairly recent drivers.

Sorry, but I have to blame the user here. If they have drivers for a video card installed that they don't even own anymore, that seems like their problem.

Shit like this is stuff that makes developers crazy sometimes when trying to develop for the PC.

Note they were saying that machines with old ATi drivers but that have nVidia hardware installed had this issue.

News Comments > Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale Developer Closed?
4. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale Developer Closed? Aug 22, 2011, 13:17 DrEvil

It would have be an acceptable game in the early 1990's maybe, but was unforgivable in light of the lessons the daggerdale game designer should have learned from others.

No surprise here.

News Comments > Skyrim Using Steamworks
16. Re: Skyrim Using Steamworks Aug 18, 2011, 00:30 DrEvil

Sepharo wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 00:21:
Can't you read? He said Bethesda only used disc checks before Valve forced their intrusive DRM on them.

Besides without GFWL we'd be living in a dystopian nightmare where Valve has a monopoly on all video games ever and the ubiquitous DRM requires our SSN and a facial scan every 10 minutes of play.

I'm going to laugh and assume you're being overly sarcastic.

489 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo