Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anonymous User

Real Name Anonymous User   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DrEvil
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 31, 2000, 05:27
Total Comments 488 (Amateur)
User ID 5120

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > GOG.com Geo-IP Changes
22. Re: GOG.com Geo-IP Changes Dec 24, 2011, 12:44 DrEvil

Dev wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 08:41:
El Pit wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 06:28:
It's neither the fault of GOG or Steam, but it loses them some sales and money.
Actually in this specific case its GoG's fault that they have to go to a stricter system. They had some license agreement they didn't uphold well enough.

No, they had some license agreement that Namco doesn't believe they upheld well enough. The problem was the two parties didn't agree on the interpretation.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost
10. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 24, 2011, 12:39 DrEvil

I disagree with the OP's analysis.

First of all, the compiler is often the one that determines whether to in-line functions, and in some cases, functions are purposely not in-lined to make crashes actually debuggable, yes this does involve some performance tradeoffs sometimes (however I doubt the in-lining he did alone was 40%, I'd expect maybe 10-15%).

Second, by his own admission, SSE was being used in many places, just not in some. A compiler or programmer may not necessarily come to the same conclusion about where it is appropriate to use SSE code. There's also some question as to what the minimum CPU targets were for the optimiser.

Third, I know it's fun to bash developers, but I haven't seen any compelling evidence yet that Bethesda actually screwed something up. Without actually seeing the original project files used to compile the code, wild-ass guesses and rampant speculation are about all anybody has.

Finally, the important thing to remember is that "real artists ship". Developers have multiple targets for shipping a product, and performance is usually one of those things where it's "good enough" and you can improve it later if needed. (This is, after all, software.) Deep performance analysis and micro-optimisation often doesn't come until you have some real-world data to guide development work. It's often said that "pre-mature optimisation is the root of all evil" and there's good reason for that. As we've already seen, the developer of this hack has already encountered some of these pitfalls.

I've already logged over one-hundred hours playing skyrim, and I don't have the latest system in the world (Core 2 Duo E8600). The performance is pretty good most of the time, so I'm reasonable happy and don't feel like Bethesda did wrong with shipping the game with the existing performance. It's just like the LAA patch that the community hacked up; I've never seen the skyrim process using more than about 900MB of memory, even after hours of playtime. I think Bethesda made that change eventually not because it was necessary, but because it made the community happy.

This comment was edited on Dec 24, 2011, 14:52.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Dec 23, 2011, 21:37 DrEvil

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 23, 2011, 20:45:
Is Rage worth 15 bucks?

Yes, I think so as well. It's better than Doom 3, but not as good as Quake I/II.

I haven't finished it yet since Skyrim came out (curse you bethesda!), but it's the first shooter I might actually finish in a long time.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2011, 13:58 DrEvil

Creston wrote on Dec 20, 2011, 12:10:
5 more Bonds with Craig is cool, but Quantum of Solace basically sucked ass. So I hope Skyfall (Skyfall? Wtf?) is a lot better, otherwise I'll have zero interest in more Bond movies.

As Daniel Craig pointed out himself, the movie was already in production when the writer's strike happened. That meant that the director and him were the only ones allowed to work on the script, so I think it will be much better this time around.

News Comments > Skyrim Ships 10M; "Fastest Selling Title in Steam's History"
45. Re: Skyrim Ships 10M; Dec 17, 2011, 14:34 DrEvil

Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2011, 01:04:
And PHJF is correct. Compound adverbs and adjectives before a noun are always hyphenated. I always find it funny when I look at a person's resume who claims they're "detail oriented". Deatil oriented, huh?

Actually, PHJF is [url=http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/hyphens_alternatives_in_compound_adjectives.htm
]not necessarily correct[/url].

If you "google" around, you'll find other websites talking about this as well.

The short version is that usage is determined by editorial or stylistic principles. It's just like "solid state" used to be hyphenated, but is no longer commonly seen that way. The hyphen primarily serves as a way to disambiguate the words in this context, not as a hard and fast requirement.

Another example of changing usage would be that Herman Melville originally published his book titled "Moby-Dick" (note the hyphen), but most individuals would no longer consider that correct.

News Comments > Bastion in a Browser
4. Re: Bastion in a Browser Dec 9, 2011, 17:46 DrEvil

Holy <bleep>! That's incredible.

Could native client finally be a viable alternative to Java whose performance Doesn't Suck(TM)?

You can cheat with Java stuff and include native dlls and the like, but this looks like it works wherever Chrome works.

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Interview
5. Re: Torchlight 2 Interview Dec 6, 2011, 14:48 DrEvil

Optional nickname wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 12:29:
IF I were project lead on TL2, I'd have cancelled the game altogether by now. D3 is around the corner.

"Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here."

But seriously, I think they appeal to very different audiences, and unlike Diablo III, Torchlight 2 won't require a persistent online connection. Nor do they have silly in-game auction houses for real money and the like.

News Comments > Steam Hardware Survey
8. Re: Steam Hardware Survey Dec 3, 2011, 02:00 DrEvil

5.6% have DX11? And PC gamers wonder why there are hardly any DirectX 11 games.

Not only that, 25% only have 512MB of VRAM and 43% have 1024MB.

No wonder PC games are at a stand still.

News Comments > QUAKE No Longer Indexed in Germany
10. Re: QUAKE No Longer Indexed in Germany Dec 1, 2011, 18:29 DrEvil

Creston wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 15:05:
I'm sure zenimax can't WAIT to put Quake in stores in Germany. Rolleyes

Creston

I'm sure it has more to do with online sales through Steam and the like.

News Comments > Skyrim and D3D Antilag
29. Re: Skyrim and D3D Antilag Nov 28, 2011, 09:10 DrEvil

venomhed wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 06:22:
D3D9? Who still uses that?

Dx9
Dx10
Dx10.1
Dx11 (Which I dont know that Skyrim supports)

A lot of things, thanks to the current console generation. Skyrim is DX9...

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Nov 28, 2011, 09:08 DrEvil

Yeah, Carmack didn't say that as someone else pointed out. Just a retweet.  

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patch
9. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Nov 22, 2011, 17:56 DrEvil

Cutter wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 15:15:
Huzsar wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 14:54:
If you are in US, Amazon has it for $16 right now on their download service.

I'm not. I have no idea why Amazon limits downloads to the US. That's just plain bad business. Oh well, I guess they really don't want money from hundreds of millions of other gamers around the globe.

I know it's fun to blindly bash corporations, but in this case, you should be aware that publishing agreements typically restrict which countries a product can be sold in and for how much.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim New LAA Workaround
15. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim New LAA Workaround Nov 22, 2011, 14:02 DrEvil

Verno wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 13:58:
DrEvil wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 13:51:
The option isn't designed to be permanent apparently according to Steam support. I was less than pleased about that.

So don't accuse them of "forcing" the update...

Why would you only want to disable updates for a single session? That doesn't even make sense in the support response context. It's an excuse for misbehaving functionality that should be fixed, not an answer to the problem. I think it's a pretty minor thing that a lot of people blow out of proportion but it should be fixed.

It's even worse than I remember. See here:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2125376

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim New LAA Workaround
13. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim New LAA Workaround Nov 22, 2011, 13:51 DrEvil

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 12:29:
Works perfectly, just like the New Vegas one. Improves framerate and stability, especially with modded view distance or textures, no matter what anyone says to the contrary.

Personally I am still upset they forced a DRM update through Steam even if you had updates turned off in the options. That just reeks of accessing my hard drive without authorization to me. I am sure they would say there is some line in their ToS that authorizes it, but to me a function listed in the Steam options when I accepted the ToS not working at all voids the agreement. I made a thread about it on the Steam forums but of course it was almost immediately closed.

As I discovered recently, turning off updates in options only works for a single session. Every time you restart steam (which happens when you restart your system) it will reset.

The option isn't designed to be permanent apparently according to Steam support. I was less than pleased about that.

So don't accuse them of "forcing" the update...

News Comments > Skyrim Versus ThreatFire
4. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Nov 13, 2011, 17:42 DrEvil

elefunk wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 17:27:
It's shit like this that really makes me sympathize with PC developers. Despite the existence of legitimate issues they should address, there are so many random corner cases like this which make them look undeservedly awful and it's simply impossible to catch them before shipping.

And the worst thing about it? Crash issues like this are what developers and testers end up burning lots of time high as they're seen as higher priority which means time that could have been spent on other issues gets spent on crap like this.

News Comments > Skyrim Soars
59. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 13:51 DrEvil

Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 11:27:
That stealing video is fucking hilarious.

Creston

As I told someone else, at least we know the AI's not cheating -- it's just stupid

19. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 01:38 DrEvil

Hump wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 01:04:
Kastagir wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 00:23:
The UI is a nightmare. Certain keys control multiple functions - for example, the same key that's used for sheathing/readying a weapon is used to drop items from your inventory. Unfortunately, if you change this key, they help dialogs and the key reminders at the bottom left of the screen don't update! They still list what the action is according to default keymapping, so you have to look at what the function was originally assigned to by looking at the manual, then finding out what you assigned it to. Problem is that the manual doesn't say that one key controls several functions like sheathe and drop - you have to figure that out for yourself. This is a complete fail and demands a patch to fix the inconsistency. I can't believe they shipped the game with the UI in this state. Sure, it's a bad design, but beyond that, it's BROKEN!

I'm liking the game but I agree with the above. This is not an improvement on previous ES titles UI/menus etc

I dunno, from what I've seen, it's better than Morrowind's.

As great as Morrowind was in some aspects, its UI was truly awful. It was like some cross between a wannabe IRC client and one of the early MMOs like Asheron's Call.

(I say this as someone that is playing Morrowind GOTY now since my Skyrim copy is MIA. :()

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2011, 02:11.

15. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 00:35 DrEvil

Still waiting for my copy :-(

Ordered it from Amazon with "guaranteed release-date shipping!"

They emailed me around 1AM PDT telling me it had shipped and would arrive by 3PM PDT today, so I stayed home and waited all day for it to arrive -- it never did.

I'm surrounded by frickin' idiots!

I called Amazon, who apparently couldn't even confirm that FedEx got the package from them (and FedEx didn't know what happened either). Amazon claimed it was "in transit" -- FedEx said "bs!"

Totally bummed Sad

News Comments > Steam Forum Downtime Follow-up; Steam Also Breached
24. Re: Steam Forum Downtime Follow-up; Steam Also Breached Nov 10, 2011, 18:39 DrEvil

Techie714 wrote on Nov 10, 2011, 18:05:
My thoughts on this.

1. We the users of Steam should NOT give them a pass on this. ALL companies should be taking security seriously & to the highest level possible. Millions of folks love Steam & I'm one of them but right now I'm pretty PISSED that this has happened. I dont blame Steam however I do expect them to do everything possible to make sure all data is highly secure.

I'm not going to give them a pass, but realistically, I can't hold them responsible unless it was due to their negligence.

For example, if it was an exploit of an unpatched, unknown bug in their OS or a third-party component, I could hardly expect them to have accounted for that.

If the issue was just that their administrators failed to properly secure the system, that's a different story.

News Comments > Steam Forum Downtime Follow-up; Steam Also Breached
21. Re: Steam Forum Downtime Follow-up; Steam Also Breached Nov 10, 2011, 18:36 DrEvil

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 10, 2011, 17:44:
My Steam account has a unique passoword and Steamguard active, so changing it would likely be overkill. Shame it took them 4 days to say anything though.

Giving details before they could confirm what happened would have been irresponsible.

Four days to properly assess the situation, ensure all systems were secure again, and to determine exactly what caused the damage does not seem unreasonable.

These are problems that you can't just throw a huge amount of people at to solve; it takes time.

488 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo